Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaver

Real Name Beaver   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Muscular Beaver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2002, 23:21
Total Comments 2142 (Senior)
User ID 12928

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Jun 22, 2017, 05:13 Muscular Beaver

This only targets specific types of aimbots.
These people will simply use other ones now.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > HITMAN Free Sample [Updated]
22. Re: HITMAN Episode 1 for Free Jun 21, 2017, 09:02 Muscular Beaver

Jerykk wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 23:52:
Quinn wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 14:21:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 12:28:
Quinn wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 11:26:
*the suits sitting around the table*

Suit 1: Lets make it episodic. Shit seems so sell.

Suit 2: Yes! And lets remove any sense of a real story. That shit is expensive.

Suit 3: Yes! And lets show the players all the ways they can assassinate their target, so we can fill up that storyless void with useless replayability. Because achievements!

Suit 4: No idea why we'd do that but these pathetic, completionist fuckers swallow everything as long as it keeps them away from facing real life. So yes!

Suit 2: No reason to be so cynical, Laurens, but yes!

*and HITMAN 2016 was born*

Genuine question: Have you actually played HITMAN 2016? If you have, you would know that it has just as much story as Blood Money, Contracts, Silent Assassin and Agent 47. There is an overarching storyline that is conveyed through cutscenes between missions. All of the missions tie into the storyline as well.

In fact, one could argue that it has more story because they've really fleshed out the targets, NPCs and environments. There's plenty of backstory and side-story to discover in each level, which is part of the reason why the game has so much replayability.

Finally, you might be the only Hitman fan (are you actually a Hitman fan or did you only play Absolution?) that complains about replayability. Seriously, replayability is one of the pillars of the series.

In any case, it's cool of IO to do this, though the headline is misleading. They aren't giving the full Episode 1 for free, only the tutorial levels. Paris is not free.

I only played episode 1 but I have all the eps. I loved all Hitman games, except for Absolution. Hated how the disguise system did a 180 and those FUUUCKING assassination "achievements". Fuck that "these are the ways you can somehow get to kill your targets!". Lazy as fuck not to let those ways to kill be told within context -- eavesdropping etc.
Especially loved Blood Money.

HITMAN is too much like Absolution, I thought?

You really should play through all the episodes. HITMAN shares much more in common with Blood Money than Absolution.

I could explain the story in one short sentence. I dont call that a story. It doesnt even have a conclusion and you dont even know it is a story until you complete the last mission or so.

Welcome to the Hitman series..? I feel like you haven't played any of the previous games. The story has always been light, with little to no connection to the actual missions. HITMAN is no different in that regard, except now, each level has tons of mini-stories. Without a doubt, HITMAN has more writing than any of the previous games. It's just that most of the storytelling is done through the environment and NPCs, rather than cutscenes. In previous games, most of your targets were pretty shallow. They didn't have much depth in terms of personality, relationships, history, etc. In HITMAN, each target has plenty of all those things and it's only through repeated playthroughs that you can learn them all.

It's bizarre how some people believe that the previous games were story-driven. Only Absolution was story-driven and the game suffered for it. In every other game, the story has always been placed firmly in the background and served as context more than a driving force.

Previous games had a story, as small as it was. But this one is as non-existent as the Doom one (the original one). Actually even less, because sometimes you dont even know why youre there or why youre doing it.

News Comments > HITMAN Free Sample [Updated]
12. Re: HITMAN Episode 1 for Free Jun 20, 2017, 17:28 Muscular Beaver

Jerykk wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 12:28:
Quinn wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 11:26:
*the suits sitting around the table*

Suit 1: Lets make it episodic. Shit seems so sell.

Suit 2: Yes! And lets remove any sense of a real story. That shit is expensive.

Suit 3: Yes! And lets show the players all the ways they can assassinate their target, so we can fill up that storyless void with useless replayability. Because achievements!

Suit 4: No idea why we'd do that but these pathetic, completionist fuckers swallow everything as long as it keeps them away from facing real life. So yes!

Suit 2: No reason to be so cynical, Laurens, but yes!

*and HITMAN 2016 was born*

Genuine question: Have you actually played HITMAN 2016? If you have, you would know that it has just as much story as Blood Money, Contracts, Silent Assassin and Agent 47. There is an overarching storyline that is conveyed through cutscenes between missions. All of the missions tie into the storyline as well.

In fact, one could argue that it has more story because they've really fleshed out the targets, NPCs and environments. There's plenty of backstory and side-story to discover in each level, which is part of the reason why the game has so much replayability.

Finally, you might be the only Hitman fan (are you actually a Hitman fan or did you only play Absolution?) that complains about replayability. Seriously, replayability is one of the pillars of the series.

In any case, it's cool of IO to do this, though the headline is misleading. They aren't giving the full Episode 1 for free, only the tutorial levels. Paris is not free.
I could explain the story in one short sentence. I dont call that a story. It doesnt even have a conclusion and you dont even know it is a story until you complete the last mission or so.
Hes right. Its a game for people who want to play the same shit over and over again to unlock achievements and similar useless crap.

News Comments > Friday the 13th: The Game Free Content Tomorrow
2. Re: Friday the 13th: The Game Free Content Tomorrow Jun 20, 2017, 01:34 Muscular Beaver

Awesome game. Didnt have so much fun in a game for a long time, plus you really notice how these devs (a team of 4) really care about their customers and are pretty honest people.
I dont know where people get that it has no content. I am still enjoying it a lot. Maybe start using a mic and talk to people.

I couldnt care less about the skins, but the free CP and double XP weekend is a nice gesture.

News Comments > Project Argo Prototype
5. Re: Project Argo Prototype Jun 18, 2017, 08:50 Muscular Beaver

Yeah, as someone said, it has been available for many months. I played it back in December and January and I think it was first released in November or October. Its nothing special to be honest. Like Rising Storm 2 with more open maps or a more realistic Battlefield and fewer players. Only kept me interested for a few hours.
Also there were very few players. You were lucky to get a server filled back then.

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Return to Olethros Launches
8. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Return to Olethros Launches Jun 15, 2017, 10:08 Muscular Beaver

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 15, 2017, 04:09:
It was awful at launch. A buggy unfinished mess. It is much, much better now.
That wasnt its problem. I stopped playing it after the second mission and refunded it. What a boring and dull game.

News Comments > DOOM VFR Announced
3. Re: DOOM VFR Announced Jun 12, 2017, 11:14 Muscular Beaver

MajorD wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 11:06:
Fallout VR.....not really liking the first person presence, especially with weapons (especially hand guns) floating in mid air....look too wonky to me. I'll stick to my 28" monitor thank you very much.

This mid air floating stuff has always bothered me a lot.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 12, 2017, 02:54 Muscular Beaver

Retired wrote on Jun 11, 2017, 14:51:
xXStellarDadXx wrote on Jun 11, 2017, 14:15:
Who dat at no.1 blues peeps? It is the real deal...Get used to it ...

Game has improved with last 2 updates. Fun to play again.
Nope. Still unbelievably lagging servers.

News Comments > Steam Direct Fee is $100
17. Re: Steam Direct Fee is $100 Jun 3, 2017, 06:22 Muscular Beaver

Slick wrote on Jun 3, 2017, 04:02:
I'm glad some people are starting to catch on that Valve's 30% off of GROSS is pretty fucking high for a digital storefront. Their costs are next to zero to pipe the game to you.

If it was %30 off of PROFIT then I'd say that's a far more reasonable figure, it would be hard to argue with that. People just see "30%" and it seems like a reasonable number, but the context is far more insidious.

The devs have to pay their staff, hardware, software licencing, rent an office, keep the lights on, and market their product. So if all of that costs %50 of their gross, valve takes 30%, the devs get 20%. So valve is literally getting more than the devs in the above (I think rather reasonable) scenario.

Which is hilarious because Valve left Vivendi exactly because Vivendi was the 3rd party publisher taking an unfair cut of the profits, Valve said "Hey fucktards! We make the fucking games, we deserve a bigger piece of the pie!" (GabeN has since made it his life's work to eat the whole pie). Although, Vivendi in their *shudder* defence would actually put up venture capital for Valve to make games.

Sorry, let me rewind... Valve used to be a video game company that made video games. I know right! So random.

While I somewhat agree, you leave out far too much of Valves expenses and pros for devs. They built an awesome platform for everyone to enjoy. Devs profit a lot from it, not only through sales, but also with community care, releasing patches super easily, statistics, feedback, PR through free weekends, discounts, advertisements, access to several promotion programs and streamers/Youtubers, etc.
Valve has to pay a huge fleet of fast servers all around the world to keep tens of millions of people connected and happy, they keep developing new features and bug fixes. That is not as a small job as you make it look like.

News Comments > Take-Two Acquires Kerbal Space Program; New 2K Prez
9. Re: Take-Two Acquires Kerbal Space Program; New 2K Prez May 31, 2017, 13:54 Muscular Beaver

Grand Theft Mars Rover?  

News Comments > Rising Storm 2: Vietnam Released
4. Re: Rising Storm 2: Vietnam Released May 31, 2017, 08:21 Muscular Beaver

I played the beta a bit.
So this is what Red Orchestra is like? Basically ArmA on a tiny map?
Didnt like it that much. Felt too much like a CoD or BF, just because of these tiny maps.

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Patch Delayed
11. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Patch Delayed May 26, 2017, 07:08 Muscular Beaver

Yeah, lag is reason #1 I die.
I ambush someone, hit him once or twice, he starts moving, warping around, I cant hit him anymore, he kills me.
Story of my life.
Not going to play anymore until they fix this lag, which has been the same since the beta. Alpha actually was very smooth, but only 56 players per server.

News Comments > IO Interactive Layoffs
10. Re: IO Interactive Layoffs May 23, 2017, 20:56 Muscular Beaver

Agreed, this episodic crap was a very bad idea. The game itself technically was very nice. But it felt without a soul with these episodes. They seriously thought repeating them 120 times to get a high score or achievements is going to keep people playing for long...
Shows how low they think of their customers.
A game like Hitman lives from its story. People want to feel like a more badass James Bond, not like some Russian backalley assassin not knowing why he even does this assignment.

News Comments > Far Cry 5's Montana Setting Revealed
15. Re: Far Cry 5's Montana Setting Revealed May 23, 2017, 11:08 Muscular Beaver

Numinar wrote on May 23, 2017, 10:02:
Beamer wrote on May 23, 2017, 09:50:

I'm excited for the controversy of the new setting. While I'd wager they're going after everyone to some extent, I'd also wager the bulk of this is aimed at hyperconservative militias. I mean, it's Wyoming, it factually has hyperconservative militia groups, but doesn't factually have a significant amount of hyperliberals. Would not be surprised to have the main character be one, perhaps native American, or if they didn't learn their lesson from FC3, an obnoxious privileged white college kid that everyone finds at least slightly off-putting and Ubi later claims was a parody that went over our heads.

Yeah everyone hates the FC3 story. I think it might have been the best. I don't think I'm super smart or anything, and maybe I am reading into it, but I thought the douchebags in FC3 were awesome. The heroes journey was all about that kid realising what a douchebag he and his friends are and how he was starting to enjoy the murder (Which seemed a pretty cool mirror to games in general, the same theme drove Hotline Miami).
Indeed. But I still died a douchebag death at the end, so I learned nothing.

News Comments > 2K Financial Results - GTA5 Passes 80M Sales
1. Re: 2K Financial Results - GTA5 Passes 80M Sales May 23, 2017, 09:35 Muscular Beaver

So why not implement a proper anti cheat system then, from all this money?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 May 22, 2017, 10:40 Muscular Beaver

Beamer wrote on May 22, 2017, 10:12:
With the Quake Live beta offline during the week, I'm craving some FPS killing.

Did some looking yesterday - very much regretting not getting Dishonored 2 for $17 last weekend. I can get CS:Go for $6.47, and feel like that may give me my fix, but also may be cheaters and people significantly better than me (haven't played CS of any form in over a decade.) Overwatch seems possibly, but again, people have spent a year mastering it and the community is probably die-hards at this point. Prey... I'd rather spend around $30 total.

So then there's PUBG. Checked out a Let's Play yesterday. Not sure it's the type of game I'd enjoy (I did about 5 minutes of DayZ and hated it.) Doesn't look great solo. Controls look iffy. There's a lot of waiting, only to get shot in the back by someone you never see. And I couldn't tell if you can actually distinguish between what different items do. Seemed like a game I may like running around like a maniac with dumb bots, but with actual people, sitting around and waiting just doesn't seem my speed.

I should probably go CS, but if anyone has any recommendations for something I can shoot a lot in.
CSGO is matching you vs even skilled people, so its not that big of an issue. Not to mention, if youre an FPS crack, you will learn to get better quickly.

PUBG is actually quite fun too. Sure, you die a lot very early on, but its extremely fun once you get the hang of it. Not really comparable with DayZ. DayZ is you taking a very long time to find good stuff and then getting shot in the back from 1000m away and losing all your stuff. The rounds in PUBG are at max 35 mins and its a very awesome feeling if you are the last suvivor. Havent had something like that in other shooters. Its based on luck a lot. Like in what terrain you end up in the random generated circles, what weapons and equipment you can find, if youre lucky enough to find a car when you need one, etc.
This week they also are patching an aiming bug that really messed the game up. Cant wait to try it again after that.
What I really like is how different the weapons are and how good they show their usefulness in different situations. Also how you can decide yourself how you want to play. Like Rambo, Splinter Cell or just hide and let the others kill each other. So many options, plus opponents really are not that stupid, so you have to adapt to their tactics and predict them.
You will die a lot, but if you get it in your head that that is normal, its not that frustrating anymore. There are days I do only 0 to 2 kills before I die, but then theres days when I feel like I own the place.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
13. Re: Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2 May 17, 2017, 06:48 Muscular Beaver

FarCry 1 and 3 were nice. 2 was crap, 4 had a crappy setting IMO. I just couldnt get into it. Didnt even bother with primal, because that setting really isnt my deal either.
So a new one with tropical setting would be awesome.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 14, 2017, 06:56 Muscular Beaver

jdreyer wrote on May 13, 2017, 23:17:
It's kind of scary to think that soon you will not be able to buy something where the purchase doesn't go into a DB. Talk about a turnkey police State.
There is no other reason to do it.
All this "oh were just making it more comfortable for you", "were saving your tax money" BS is just that: BS.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 12, 2017, 13:51 Muscular Beaver

I always wondered what McCarthyism must have felt to sane American people.
Now I know.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
23. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 11, 2017, 15:31 Muscular Beaver

Slick wrote on May 11, 2017, 14:18:
Oh I have a plasma, the last gen of Panasonic plasmas, the S60 I believe?

Anyways, I still don't agree with your assessment of PVA, you must have seen some shitty ones, there are scores of people who swear by them, check out the AVSforums, you'll be told to stay away from IPS panels.

And Yes, the P-65 had local dimming, but I left it off, it was too laggy during scene switches and very noticeable. On slow scenes it was good, but still even then there weren't enough LEDS, just around 150 or so, so things like stars wouldn't even show up, and the credits roll at the end of a movie would just be flickering as the words passed over each LED. Hopefully the 384-LED FALD system on the upcoming monitors will be enough.

But yeah, even without the FALD, the PVA's blacks were far better than anything i'd seen up to this point, on the same level as plasmas, and probably better than my current plasma. Don't take my word for it, check out people who live and breathe this stuff on AVSforums.

Anyways, been nice to talk to someone who at least knows about this shit.
I dont care what people tell me. If it doesnt coincide with what I experience, its simply wrong.
People told me to buy a 2 core CPU, so I bought one, then it was too slow, so I had to buy a 4-core CPU. Then they told me I should buy a 4 core again, but now those are getting too slow, so that I need a 8-core soon. They also told me that TN panels are much better than anything.

Ive seen over a dozen VA panels, as much IPS and many more TN. VA panels are better than TN panels (in most things), but IPS is still far superior. Blacks are actually one of the things that can be as good on any of them. Youre being blinded by fanboy blabberings.

2142 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo