Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaver

Real Name Beaver   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Muscular Beaver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2002, 23:21
Total Comments 2264 (Senior)
User ID 12928

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PUBG Looks to Rebound from Rubber Banding
20. Re: PUBG Looks to Rebound from Rubber Banding Dec 28, 2017, 20:01 Muscular Beaver

Timmeh wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 17:26:
where you have to click like 5 times to pick up an object or open a door.
Isnt different on the PC. I regularly got extremely mad because it didnt close a door even though I hit the key several times, or when picking up things...
Delays drive me nuts in a game, and this one is extremely bad.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: PUBG Looks to Rebound from Rubber Banding Dec 28, 2017, 11:23 Muscular Beaver

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 11:02:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 10:20:
The netcode is utter garbage. Just get a new one already...

If they had a Comp USA store nearby they could have just stopped over and picked one up off the shelf.
I think thats where they got it from in the first place.
It was fine with 50 players in the alpha, but instantly, in the beta, after increasing to 100 players, it went belly up and only bandaids were implemented since then to hide the utter crap it is.

2. Re: PUBG Looks to Rebound from Rubber Banding Dec 28, 2017, 10:20 Muscular Beaver

The netcode is utter garbage. Just get a new one already...  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
20. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 27, 2017, 16:57 Muscular Beaver

jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 14:07:
ForgedReality wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 12:10:
All you're doing with electric cars is offsetting the energy cost. It is still there, just out of sight and out of mind. Batteries are toxic as hell too, so I have to wonder about the long-term environmental cost. All these leaking nuclear reactors is bad enough already.

Batteries can be recycled. Carbon monoxide can't.
Why should it? Youre saying it doesnt degrade in any form? If that was true, this planet would be dead.
Fact of the matter is that after about 2 months in the atmosphere carbon monoxide is being transformed into CO2, naturally. And its such a tiny amount, that it doesnt matter.

And no, not all batteries can be recycled. Lithium Ion Batteries can be reused in bigger units until they fail completely, but recycling them is either completely impossible or simply not viable because its too inefficient or costly. We are building a huge pile of them.

19. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 27, 2017, 16:46 Muscular Beaver

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 13:40:
wtf_man wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 13:19:
Cutter wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 11:00:
Yeah except who the hell wants a $100,000+ pickup truck with one seat?

I'm not 100% sure that is only one seat (one person). It looks lit the body widens towards the back of the cab. That said... it would be reminiscent of a 1930's cab, which barely can fit 2 people on a bench seat.

Several reasons I won't buy an EV any time soon:

1. Range (although it's getting better)
2. Time to charge
3. Price
4. Uglyness (aka Prius... although that is a hybrid and I said EV)
5. Battery Materials... Extremely toxic, another limited resource, and no proper disposal.

I would have loved to seen the market go more towards Hydrogen Fuel Cells, but there are obvious issues with that as well.

Lithium ion batteries are less toxic than the lead acid batteries used in conventional engines. They're actually more landfill-safe. Once the recycling for these catches up to lead acid battery recycling (around 99% in the US), then they will definitely be the safer, cleaner option.
"Once"... More like if. Many "environment saving" technologies are actually not recyclable or its so hard to do that it costs more than just to make new ones. IFor Li-Ion batteries its so hard, that manufacturers actually buy old ones to put them all together to a huge one, to have some use from them still, which of course is extremely inefficient when charging or transporting.
You should inform yourself better how these resources are being mined and by whom and what their working conditions look like. Double standards par excellence.
But if you seriously compare tiny lead acid batteries, which can actually very easily and inexpensively be recycled and thus arent that bad for the environment, and will be sucked completely dry in an hour by my stereo running alone, with maybe 40 to 120 Ah to huge batteries like in the Model S with up to 100 KWh, then I dont think its even worth continuing...

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 27, 2017, 12:35 Muscular Beaver

Red wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 12:21:
Tumbler wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 11:28:
The model 3 is supposed to be 36,200 - 44,000. Assuming they can shave the price down to 30k even a pickup truck is reasonable at that price.

The real question becomes how long does the savings take to pay off? A gas engine pickup new can be half that price, 15k new, so how long does it take to start saving?

Do you ever start saving? I’ve never tried to the math on a Tesla, but I did buy a new Camry last year. And as I was doing the math of the hyrbid vs gas, the break-even was after 9 years of owership. And that was me assuming the hybrid has identical long term maintenance cnsiderations (which i don’t think is actually true).

Until gas prices skyrocket, hybids and electrics are not more practical. They’re cool. They’re advancing technology. But they are not cost effective to an owner.
Teslas are known for their horrible quality and reliability. Tesla alone spends more than twice as much money on warranty cases than Ford or GM. But if you think those 2 have exceptional quality, I guess a Tesla will be something for you...
High warranty costs reflect Tesla’s struggle with quality

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2017, 11:26 Muscular Beaver

Retired wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 11:11:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 10:22:
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is back on the list, I wonder if it's paid for itself yet?

Game should be free - they make hundreds of millions on the skins.
Oh god, then cheating would be even worse... though its sometimes hard to imagine it can get even worse. Sometimes reminds me of the private servers back in the 90s getting raided by whole groups of cheaters.

News Comments > World of Tanks Plans Major Changes; Offers New Engine Demo
14. Re: World of Tanks Plans Major Changes; Offers New Engine Demo Dec 24, 2017, 08:31 Muscular Beaver

jdreyer wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 05:34:
I haven't played WoT, but I put about 100 hours into WoWs. I really loved my time in that game. It looks gorgeous and the game seems exquisitely researched. It's immensely satisfying to manuever your destroyer in close and release a full spread of torpedoes into the broad side of a cruiser or battleship.

As mentioned, progress at first is quick, but as you acquire higher tier ships, the become difficult to operate due to the upkeep costs. You have to grind several low level missions to afford to run your high-level ship once. Or you can pay money. It's this pay-to-use mechanic that I don't like. I'd much prefer this to be a for-purchase game with a more reasonable progression system not tied to and created for revenue generation. In the end, the fact that I'd have to pay continually really turned me off. Also tied into this are manipulative ways to keep you in game and grinding, like an extra bonus after your 5th mission in a single day. It just becomes all too much.
I find that tactic pretty disgusting. In lower tiers they make you think that higher tiers will be better in every way, but once you get to Tier 8 or 9, you notice how bad the game gets. You cant repair your ships anymore or buy new ones or upgrades without paying more and more money, you take ages to complete new bought ships or get captains into competitive levels if you dont pay, higher tier ships actually get worse (cruisers and destroyers mostly), you feel like youre in a disadvantage if you dont use all P2W content (incl. premium ships), some ships you notice are utter garbage and you wasted a lot of money and time on them (or the whole tech tree actually!), etc.
I for example sold all my lower tier ships after I unlocked the next higher one, because else I wouldnt have been able to afford buying them. But then I noticed how bad higher tiers get and wanted to play lower tiers again, but I didnt have any low tier ships left and no money to buy them, because its so hard to come by. But at least I realized how senseless it is to play lower tier anyway, because you actually have to pay real money to convert the XP gained in lower tiers into XP you can use for progress.

I actually put a lot of money into it, because I liked this game a lot. But shortly after that I got into the high tiers and felt totally scammed and like a total moron for giving them money. Thats when I stopped playing.

This game is like a typical disgusting P2W mobile game, ported to PC.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 2017, 08:42.

News Comments > World of Tanks Plans Major Changes; Offers New Engine Demo
6. Re: World of Tanks Plans Major Changes; Offers New Engine Demo Dec 23, 2017, 21:10 Muscular Beaver

Armengar wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 17:30:
will this stop all the rampant cheating mods i wonder? i stopped playing a year ago due to the mass cheating and no desire from wargaming to stop it.
Same on World of Warships. They simply dont care about cheaters. They made it a bit harder for them back a few years ago, but its still very simple to do.
I guess I will simply wait until War Thunder has ships fully implemented. And then it will blow WoWS out of the water anyway.

News Comments > Evening Patches
6. Re: Evening Patches Dec 23, 2017, 06:19 Muscular Beaver

jdreyer wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 19:48:
Cutter wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 19:22:
It'd be a lot nicer if they just made a new one instead.

Well, sure, it would be a lot nicer if I got a new Ferrari instead of my fixing my shitty Nissan. Cost orders of magnitude between the two. Same with maintaining an old game vs. building a new one from scratch.
Thats why at some point it doesnt make sense driving the old one anymore and just buy a new one. The maintenance becomes too expensive or cant fix serious problems.

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway
23. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 05:22 Muscular Beaver

Undocumented Alien wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 20:08:
Perfect timing, was looking for a new game!

Grabbed me GTA 5 at $23.99, looks like it has good reviews, look forward to the single player campaign (not much interest in the Online part). Had a lot of fun with GTA 4 many moons ago.
Its a really good game. IMO the best GTA ever, and the first one to really interest me till the end.
And, I say this quite rarely, the devs actually deserve that money. You can see how much work this game was, how much detail they put in and how much freedom the designers had.
The only drawback is the massive amount of cheaters online and that they dont use that money to add better anti-cheat.

News Comments > PUBG Launches
10. Re: PUBG Launches Dec 21, 2017, 13:35 Muscular Beaver

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 12:56:
The 20 or so people in Bluenews who don't find it fun or appealing are a small drop in the bucket to the 20 million people who purchased it.

Personally, I don't like this style of game but my friends do.. I can understand by watching 5 minutes of twitch why it's crazy popular.

It's a social game to play with your l33t buddies.
Thats probably why. There arent many alternatives. Sure you can buy ArmA 3 and play it there, but ArmA 3 has its own problems. H1Z1 is sucked dry and most people hated it, but still played it, because there wasnt an alternative. Fortnite is very different again. Many people dont like the cartooney style and building aspect.

And its not only us criticizing it. Look on the Steam forums and other forums. A lot of people know how badly done this game is.
If the game wouldnt have had that much success, I am sure they would be heard much more. But vocal critics always are a minority. Even on really bad games.

7. Re: PUBG Launches Dec 21, 2017, 12:30 Muscular Beaver

Pr()ZaC wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 12:09:
If the net code is so fucked up, I don't get why it's so damn popular.
I've played a little of it 2 weeks ago. It left me unimpressed.
Well, most of them are now Chinese "gold sellers", farming items to sell them. But still, I dont understand it either. I mean the game was fun for me the first few dozen hours, until I noticed how many times I died because of bugs, lag, shitty controls, etc.
But I also noticed the American server were not as bad as the European ones. Much more cheaters on European servers and lag was worse there too, even though there is an almost 100 ms difference between NA and EU servers for me. The EU servers seem to be configured differently.

But all that has been mentioned to the devs many many times and for many months too, forums are full of topics which talk about it. They dont seem to care, because a huge chunk of the playerbase attacks the critics and says its BS what they say.

I mean I knew from the start the developer doesnt have much experience and isnt known for their quality in their past games, but I hoped PU had his good reasons to take them instead of others. I just hoped for the best, and the closed Alpha and Beta were very promising, because they fixed bugs and control issues rather quickly, after they were mentioned to them. But after early access they cared more about adding more content than fixing issues.

3. Re: PUBG Launches Dec 21, 2017, 10:57 Muscular Beaver

A good netcode doesnt give people with a high ping any advantage or gives disadvantages to people with low ping shooting people with high ping. But their netcode is utter garbage, as proven by the netswitcher problem that has only been "solved" with a bandaid.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 21, 2017, 04:48 Muscular Beaver

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 22:18:
"Such is the level of optimization that you can now play PUBG at over 60 FPS, with High settings, at 1920x1080, on an affordable GeForce GTX 1060"

That's a pretty big leap in performance if it actually can maintain 60fps on a 1060 now.
On the new map only...? Which is... well... a desert. lol...

News Comments > Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies
5. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 07:32 Muscular Beaver

I never understood why they didnt expand on WiC. It was successful, it was popular, it was simply good, one of the best RTS ever made.  

News Comments > PUBG Replay Details
6. Re: PUBG Replay Details Dec 18, 2017, 16:06 Muscular Beaver

Jagacademy wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 14:47:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 14:20:
So is this the feature that convinces all the complainers that they suck and it's not cheaters killing them?

Funny, but not accurate, this game does in fact have a cheating epidemic. Watch the killfeed and you'll see the same Chinese name killing person after person in rapid succession in up to half your games, especially if you're playing at peak China hours.

The problem didn't exist until Bluehole monetized loot drops, now Chinese are cheating(point farming) as a fulltime job.

Most of us are hoping that the Tencent Holdings deal results in the Chinese playerbase being moved off to their own segregated servers, which hopefully happens very early 2018.
Before that it was bad too. It was just mainly Russians and Turks doing it, so you were pretty safe on NA servers.

News Comments > PUBG Replay Details
2. Re: PUBG Replay Details Dec 18, 2017, 12:42 Muscular Beaver

I remember that feature being standard in the 90s. just like modability or LAN support.  

News Comments > PUBG 1.0 Plans Include Replays
20. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 17, 2017, 03:54 Muscular Beaver

Rhett wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 00:20:
All we should care about is if the game is improving, and it is (according to the test server) - though I do hope the rubberbanding and tick rate are resolved. FPS has gone through the roof lately, after starting out terribly.

Where has it improved? Sure, I exaggerated with "nothing has changed", but seriously, not much of the important stuff has changed. I had no issues with low FPS. I didnt miss different weapons.
Yeah, the FPS have become more stable (while graphics took a huge dump, just look at the ugly bitmap trees for example). Yes, the cars dont flip over that easily anymore. Yes, you can sell your loot crate stuff for more money now. Yes, theres a new map (well, soon). Yes, theres first person now.

But thats all more or less unimportant stuff in contrast to lag and control issues and even technical issues, like having to select your region and game type after every single game again.

Maybe the new patch fixes everything I mentioned before. But lets be honest, that chance is as low as EA ditching micro transactions.

I also remember them saying it will leave early access in October. October next year maybe, at this rate.

On another topic: Even when I wasnt playing it, I loved watching official tournaments of it. But those went down the drain too. Camera control gets worse and worse, directors dont know who to focus or how long, presenters sound like idiots who just want to mimic their ESPN counterparts and technical issues are huge as well. I couldnt even watch the last one till the end, because it was that frustrating. And I wasnt the only one, since even attending streamers got several times more viewers than the official channel.

News Comments > PUBG 1.0 Plans Include Replays
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 17, 2017, 03:30 Muscular Beaver

Tom wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 20:35:
PUBG is not for the easily discouraged. You're going to get stomped, over and over and over. The whole point of the game is that not everyone can be a winner every time. But the times when you do win make it all worth it. Almost a hundred people went in and you emerged victorious. Sometimes despite incredible odds when you factor in loot and the nature of the engagements you had. Those wins are deeply satisfying. Even losing can be a lot of fun if you had a good engagement or something new and excitingly different happened.

I wouldn't expect most of the folks around here to "get" this game though. Kinda sad but oh well.
Thats the point. Its more satisfying in Fortnite, if you win. I never felt that satisfied in PUBG when winning. And in Fortnite you can get stomped much more often. But at least youre into a new game very quickly again.

2264 Comments. 114 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo