Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaver

Real Name Beaver   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Muscular Beaver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2002, 23:21
Total Comments 1902 (Pro)
User ID 12928

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM in May
15. Re: DOOM in May Feb 4, 2016, 13:14 Muscular Beaver

jdreyer wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 12:46:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 12:29:
Havent been excited for a game this much since ArmA 3, which bitterly disappointed me.
I can only hope, but it sure looks awesome, like a true Doom 2 sequel.
Wondering why you thought ArmA 3 was so disappointing?
Twitch shooter controls, horribly stiff animations, you can still get stuck in an animation, physics still laughable, fantasy weapons and vehicles, still, after 2.5 years, not enough content to even make game modes like warfare or domination as awesome as before, AKA not even the same amount of content ArmA 2 without OA had.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM in May
11. Re: DOOM in May Feb 4, 2016, 12:29 Muscular Beaver

Havent been excited for a game this much since ArmA 3, which bitterly disappointed me.
I can only hope, but it sure looks awesome, like a true Doom 2 sequel.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 2, 2016, 09:41 Muscular Beaver

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 2, 2016, 09:32:
Dude, TVs usually have horrible latency and input lag but I agree with the general sentiment. I do not get the popularity of ultra-wide.
But I'm also not much of a fan of curved (well, I mean I am but not when it comes to LCDs ).
It all seems very gimmicky and I'm sure it would annoy me when doing other things than gaming which is probably 80% to 90% of the total time spent in front of the LCD.

I really hope this fad dies soon-ish and that monitor makers (re-)focus on large regular non-curved 16:9 quality LCDs.
I already own a 32" so my personal preference would be a 32", low latency IPS/PLS/PVA panel, 144Hz (or higher), G-Sync, 1440p (or maybe 2160p), USB hub. Pretty please with sugar on top.

You should sit in front of a 34" 21:9 curved one in person. You will get hooked. They are just awesome for gamers. IMO much better than this first generation VR goggles. The immersion is astonishing.
I was about to buy the Acer because I saw a Samsung one in a shop once and was hooked instantly, but then read about how bad its quality is, so I will keep waiting.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2016, 15:15 Muscular Beaver

LgFriess wrote on Feb 1, 2016, 15:01:
That PG34Q looks so nice. Any real difference from the Acer Predator?
Nope, most likely as crappy and overpriced. Its Asus quality after all.
Of course you might get lucky and get a flawless one, which some people were with the Acer, but then theres still the question of long term reliability.
I would wait until more producers offer IPS 21:9 with 100+ Hz. Prices should drop then too.

News Comments > Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Released
16. Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Released Jan 21, 2016, 10:47 Muscular Beaver

Task wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 10:39:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 10:31:
the atmosphere as a whole is goosebumpy (the random and directed radio chatter alone)

Everytime this happens I panic and zoom out to the quasi satellite- radar. Some of the random radio chatter from the people on your carrier is stuff like "possible enemy contact in (whatever area), can you confirm?" and stuff like that.

Yep, such a small thing, but it adds massively to the atmosphere.

News Comments > Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Released
13. Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Released Jan 21, 2016, 10:31 Muscular Beaver

I bought it and played a bit already. Its actually very impressive. Not much I can bitch about, even though I do a lot normally. It has a few clipping bugs here and there, that most wont even recognize, AI is not very good, but still enjoyable. But thats about it.
The story is told better than in HW1 or 2, the atmosphere as a whole is goosebumpy (the random and directed radio chatter alone) and it has the same epic feeling as HW1 and 2. Feels like a true PC game, which is worth a lot nowadays.
It does really need more missions though, if its only 13. But so did HW1 & 2.

News Comments > Far Cry Primal Trailer
7. Re: Far Cry Primal Trailer Jan 21, 2016, 06:34 Muscular Beaver

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 20, 2016, 21:53:
There was this dev walkthrough (over an hour long) last week with tons of gameplay. It looks surprisingly decent but on the other hand it becomes clear quickly that this is just yet another AC/GTA-style open world clone where you simply head from one mini map icon to the next and that's it.
Yeah, AKA boring. I quit Shadows of Mordor after a few hours because of exactly what you mentioned, even though I am a huge LotR fan. These open world games all look like they are made with the same exact "game-kit" where you just have to add your theme. Fallout 4 also felt like Skyrim with a mod.
They are just overdoing it.

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
36. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 16, 2016, 18:46 Muscular Beaver

ventry wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 18:33:
Simon Says wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 15:51:
WinXP to Win7 at release date was smooth sailing, Win7 to 10 at release date was a complete NIGHTMARE.

You can't be much of a tech.
I have to date updated 25 desktop PC's and 13 laptops and had only 1 major problem that was fixed within 5 min via google.

I have been running Win 10 on my home system since August 2015 (updated from Win 7 Ultimate) and had only 2 of my major programs fail.
A reinstall fixed one and about 30 Min of research on google provided the answer on the other.
Been rock solid ever since.
Get a clue and you will be fine.

The other thing I fine amusing is those who bitch and whinge about so called "spying".
I bet those same people own a mobile phone with either IOs or Android on them. All those apps you put on them and use spy on you far more than M$ could ever imagine.
Hilarious.
Another super competent statement. You think you found hypocrisy? Think again Sherlock:
1) That is a mobile device which has been born spying. Windows was not. Spying is pretty new in it.
2) With some effort you can turn that spying off on Android and iOS.
3) Whats makes you think people who complain about spying on Windows dont complain about it on Android or others?
4) Snowden.
5) History.

As for getting a clue: Its probably because some people seriously work with this OS, and some just use it for general crap. Youre obviously one of the latter.

34. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 16, 2016, 18:29 Muscular Beaver

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 18:21:
Thing is I use it (Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB pilfered from a client who didn't want it ,P) on my media PC for months now and have zero problems too... maybe just dumb luck. And LTSB comes without all the spying crap.. couldn't be happier really. Free OS (although maybe not in the way MS intended...)
I guess the massive gap between competence levels cause these statements. What you say is completely wrong. LTSB is also spying a lot. Its just a little less effort to turn it off.

31. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 16, 2016, 18:01 Muscular Beaver

WaltC wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 14:26:
Been on Win10x64 since October 2014, and since the official release in July I have had 0 major problems--I've got ~185 games installed going back 30 years in age to as new as Witcher 3--and every single on of them runs perfectly. My R9 380 4GB card runs them all with the latest drivers (WDDM2.0.) After Win7 I moved to Win8 for a couple of years before Win10x64...I prefer Win10x64 to any Microsoft OS I've ever used--and I've used them all. Of course, I have a desktop and all my components are hand-picked and made by companies with great track records in driver support--which probably makes a difference, I'd imagine. Also, I'm running the latest build of v1511, build 11099. Running great, no problems.

Nobody has any right to complain about progress, seems to me, since you certainly should have bought either Win7 or Win8 by this late date and you still have ~7 months to upgrade to Win10 for free...it's a no brainer.

I simply cant believe statements like that. I have been using it since Oct. '14 too, and I can clearly say that it has been the worst Windows experience EVER for me, and I started in 1992 and used pretty much every version except the early NT versions. Even ME or Vista wasnt that bad. It simply doesnt do what you tell it to do. It wakes from sleep at night even though you told it to NEVER wake from sleep on its own, you have to use powershell commands AFTER EVERY PATCH to turn that off! Its a known problem! WTF! It has absolutely senseless GUI elements and features, like the useless lock screen and delay on login screen which makes you regularly put in the wrong password since the first few letters are missed, or the absolutely abysmal GUI which makes no sense since its neither consistent nor done in function and takes far longer to get to your destination. Then of course the MASSIVE spying. I am lucky that I got my hands on an enterprise version, but even with that its just unbelievable and far more annoying than ever. Oh and then theres the incompatibility with quite a few old programs. Some will run if you set compatibility to Windows 7, but not all. Some do, but they will still often make problems, like crashing from time to time or other errors.
I havent even scratched the surface with this short list here. The problems go on and on and it took me WEEKS to fix most by fiddling with the registry a lot or simply by tolerating them (not really, they are still annoying). And dont even get me started on the TH2 update. I almost went mad on that, how bad it was done.

Yeah, I had problems with 8 and 8.1, since it got dumbed down a lot from 7 and some things simply were extremely hard to change or find, but it worked. Everything worked, once you figured it out. But here.... Its just pure frustration because so many things just make no sense whatsoever from an usability standpoint and so many functions have simply been removed or replaced with useless crap that doesnt even work. I could constantly smash my head on the desk due to the stupidity of the people who designed this abomination. It seems like they want it to be exactly like Android or iOS. All their talk about wanting to listen more to the customers was a lie. Bugreports still get ignored, bug untouched (even if they are over a decade old), decade old and very popular feature requests get still ignored. Nothing has changed to the better. Many things have become FAR FAR worse.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2016, 18:22.

News Comments > EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions
31. Re: EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions Jan 13, 2016, 06:09 Muscular Beaver

Bill Nye didnt need to be corrupted, he always was an obnoxious corrupt weakling.  

News Comments > Counter-Strike Bans Made Permanent
10. Re: Counter-Strike Bans Made Permanent Jan 7, 2016, 03:35 Muscular Beaver

Sepharo wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 18:01:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 06:49:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 00:41:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 23:00:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 21:29:
Counterstrike is like professional cycling... I just asume everyone is cheating.
A lot are cheating. I was in Overwatch once and saw whats really happening, but I also noticed that cheaters, who try to hide it, and which are the vast majority, are not getting banned. You see that on how Overwatch works. Only if there is a more or less consensus on that the player cheated, he will be punished and you will get a message that he was. But most people only report the real obvious ones, the ragehackers and very often you dont get a message for cases where the hacker hid it well, because people just dont have the experience to see it. Thus the ones trying to hide it (but obvious to people with experience) are not getting banned!

Also CSGO being that long one of the top selling games, makes it obvious that still a lot of people are getting banned and buying a new one. And I can confirm that too. There still are a lot of ragehackers, or people who dont hide it very well.

And this here is one of those people in denial about how good people can get at CS. All those years yelling "hacker" at anyone doing decent has left you unable to distinguish reality. Hiding behind "experience" as if you're the only one able to distinguish a real hacker, your vote counts more than the others huh?

Though it must be shitty believing that everyone is subtly hacking all the time.
Oh they're just so good at hiding it!

Youre an idiot. I never said there cant be good players. Actually there are a lot of submissions where someone just is good. As I said, people just lack experience to judge whats cheating and whats not. And youre obviously one of them, and thus part of the problem since you think its not a huge problem. And no, I dont think I know it best of all. There are actually a lot of guides out there to teach people how to spot cheating. Just take a look at one and be surprised. You might turn into the person you think I am.

You said this:
I was in Overwatch once and saw whats really happening, but I also noticed that cheaters, who try to hide it, and which are the vast majority, are not getting banned.

There is no training or experience that makes you able to see subtle cheaters better than someone else to the degree to which you're describing. It's not something that can be quantified or stated authoritatively like you're trying to do. You are most likely accusing people of cheating who don't. I've seen it for 15 years now, admins and others who claim to have all this experience in detecting cheats, banning innocent people. Great aim, map awareness, perfect timing... these can all fool people into thinking that someone is wallhacking or aimbotting... they'll say it's subtle, they're toggling it, they wrote their own hack that's so good it's nearly undetectable... but the simple truth is that they're most likely not hacking, they're just good. Are there hackers like the ones you describe? Of course, but they're not common and far from "the vast majority". Basically I take issue with your certainty and the idea that out of everyone who watched and said "no hacks" somehow you're the right one by going against that. Could not those people also have the experience and finely honed hacker sniffing skills as yourself?

You assume too much. You have no clue whats going on and just because of one sentence that didnt AT ALL say what you claim youre attacking me. WTF is your problem?
I have been playing shooters for 20 years competitively. I know my way around and since I took a look at multihacks before I know EXACTLY how they work and how to spot them. Again: Read those guides, they will open your mind, but more importantly stop being so god damn presumptuous. I didnt say anything you claim, that "vast majority" was the vast majority of the cheaters! THE VAST MAJORITY OF CHEATERS ARE TRYING TO HIDE IT!!!!!!!!! GOT IT????
There are different cheaters! Do you fail at differentiation too and then blame other for seeing only black and white because you are actually only seeing black and white???
My god... seriously, get your act together, you sound like an angry 14 year old, which you surely arent.

7. Re: Counter-Strike Bans Made Permanent Jan 6, 2016, 06:49 Muscular Beaver

Sepharo wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 00:41:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 23:00:
Counterstrike is like professional cycling... I just asume everyone is cheating.
A lot are cheating. I was in Overwatch once and saw whats really happening, but I also noticed that cheaters, who try to hide it, and which are the vast majority, are not getting banned. You see that on how Overwatch works. Only if there is a more or less consensus on that the player cheated, he will be punished and you will get a message that he was. But most people only report the real obvious ones, the ragehackers and very often you dont get a message for cases where the hacker hid it well, because people just dont have the experience to see it. Thus the ones trying to hide it (but obvious to people with experience) are not getting banned!

Also CSGO being that long one of the top selling games, makes it obvious that still a lot of people are getting banned and buying a new one. And I can confirm that too. There still are a lot of ragehackers, or people who dont hide it very well.

And this here is one of those people in denial about how good people can get at CS. All those years yelling "hacker" at anyone doing decent has left you unable to distinguish reality. Hiding behind "experience" as if you're the only one able to distinguish a real hacker, your vote counts more than the others huh?

Though it must be shitty believing that everyone is subtly hacking all the time.
Oh they're just so good at hiding it!

Youre an idiot. I never said there cant be good players. Actually there are a lot of submissions where someone just is good. As I said, people just lack experience to judge whats cheating and whats not. And youre obviously one of them, and thus part of the problem since you think its not a huge problem. And no, I dont think I know it best of all. There are actually a lot of guides out there to teach people how to spot cheating. Just take a look at one and be surprised. You might turn into the person you think I am.

4. Re: Counter-Strike Bans Made Permanent Jan 5, 2016, 23:00 Muscular Beaver

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2016, 23:06.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Refunds
28. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Refunds Nov 1, 2015, 11:06 Muscular Beaver

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 09:01:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 05:44:
Asmodai wrote on Oct 31, 2015, 19:04:
https://youtu.be/j30PKp_Wub0?t=327

Everyone should run screaming to get their refunds...

The things he shows there have been a disease of "PC" games for a long time. Ever since console ports started. Most games are massively dumbed down nowadays and coupled with extremely shitty controls. Most people have adapted (or actually play with a controller on the PC - LOL). I refused to. Yet I still breeze through those games, because they are so dumbed down so it actually doesnt matter if you do lots of mistakes due to the horrible controls.

Did you masturbate while writing all this? Oh MAN are you proud of yourself for not "dumbing down" and using a controller!
No idea what youre on about. Feels like some idiot just yelled at me for stopping at a stop sign, since he doesnt get what that sign says. Youre probably projecting too much of your own feelings/actions on others.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Refunds
23. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Refunds Nov 1, 2015, 05:44 Muscular Beaver

Asmodai wrote on Oct 31, 2015, 19:04:
https://youtu.be/j30PKp_Wub0?t=327

Everyone should run screaming to get their refunds...

The things he shows there have been a disease of "PC" games for a long time. Ever since console ports started. Most games are massively dumbed down nowadays and coupled with extremely shitty controls. Most people have adapted (or actually play with a controller on the PC - LOL). I refused to. Yet I still breeze through those games, because they are so dumbed down so it actually doesnt matter if you do lots of mistakes due to the horrible controls.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Launches
35. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Launches Oct 24, 2015, 03:11 Muscular Beaver

Vall Forran wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 12:14:
El Pit wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 10:21:
ArenaNet: "Thank you, Guild Wars 2 veterans for your money when you bought the base game! And here is our middle finger to you! We'll give the base game FOR FREE to our new fans! And we won't even offer a rebate on the expansion to our veterans. How do you like that?"

Me: "Easy. I won't buy your expansions. How do you like that?"

Because paying $50 for a game with free content included with no sub fee -- not to mention it's been out for 3.5 years -- isn't value enough? Rolleyes

Thing is pretty much noone played it that way. Even I paid $100 additionally to the $50 the game cost, albeit I only played it like 1 year combined. Thats pretty much like a subscription game.
I know people who have spent $500 or more, who have played 3 years. Yet I dont have a problem with that. ANets approach is very good, its a good game and they deserve at least as much as a normal subscription of $15 a month would pay. Its just that your argument is irrelevant because of this fact.

News Comments > More Star Wars Battlefront Beta Servers
20. Re: More Star Wars Battlefront Beta Servers Oct 10, 2015, 15:58 Muscular Beaver

This game has such horrible controls... is this what shooters have become? Fucking cooldowns? Controls often not reacting when spawning? Those ridiculous flight controls? You have to unlock stuff first??? lol?

Nice setting, cool graphics, but thats it. That gameplay is an abomination. Its very obvious its a crappy console port.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans
43. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans Oct 7, 2015, 09:09 Muscular Beaver

InBlack wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 03:01:
Bard wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 16:50:
InBlack wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 09:59:
Whats up with the half a MB/s internet connection?? I don't remember the last time a game needed that much bandwidth. Mega fail netcode?

Sounds like sufficient bandwidth for decent fidelity. God knows it's been ages since a game with more than 24 players had enough bandwidth.

Except that the original Battlefront (or Basically Battlefield reskined) game which came out ten years ago supported more players than this game at release, had bigger maps, used more vehicles, etc. etc....

So yeah, Ill stand by my original assertion. Fail netcode.

Yeah well, we all know from ArmA 2 & 3 for example what happens if you try to press all that new stuff that was added to games in the last 10 years and dont improve the net code. I wish those games had 512 kbit requirement...

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October
21. Re: Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October Aug 30, 2015, 06:10 Muscular Beaver

Nah, leveling in GW2 wasnt great. It was far too quickly. I am at the point where I think that leveling that takes a long time is the best leveling, because that means the game has to deliver lots of content. Racing through levels like in GW2 is boring.
I remember playing GW2 for the first time and thought "wow what a huge world, so much to explore", especially when looking at the map. But it turned out only a small fraction of the map was actually playable and after your first level 80, you had seen almost all of it. I still could make another 80, but it became very tedious at the end.

I played it again from time to time, even got a full set of ascended gear, but its still boring. The world is very small, you can get ANYWHERE in just a matter of seconds, which makes it feel even smaller and its pure grinding for money and resources (unless you buy in game money, which will actually make you play the game even less) once you reach level 80. An expansion wont change much.

1902 Comments. 96 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo