Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaver

Real Name Beaver   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Muscular Beaver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2002, 23:21
Total Comments 2326 (Senior)
User ID 12928

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2018, 07:29 Muscular Beaver

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 18, 2018, 05:04:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 12:44:
I want my alien life right now... maybe they'll accept a German refugee? Literally everything would be better than having to live with my fucked up government for another 50 years. But I am German enough not to want to move to any other nation, because I think in the grand scheme of things, Germany is the best place to live... but that's a downward facing scale ;p

And yes, I would even migrate to a Zerg Hive Cluster, don't care, can't be worse than dyslexic old as shit politicians doing things that ruin your life in the future just so they can win a popular vote.

Now that is the definition of first world problems, though I suspect (and hope) you were being a little sarcastic. At least you weren't born a poor dirt scrubbing poppy farmer in Afghanistan.
I heard they are in high demand since the US invaded.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GTA Online Tax Refunds and Rebates
4. Re: GTA Online Tax Refunds and Rebates Feb 18, 2018, 05:51 Muscular Beaver

Kxmode wrote on Feb 18, 2018, 00:51:
Since when do criminals pay taxes?
Since Al Capone.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
22. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2018, 10:35 Muscular Beaver

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 06:08:
Everyone is so focused on pushing their own political agenda that twisting facts to suit their view has become second nature.

How about some objectivity in light of what is actually known?

Or is that asking too much?

Eh, thats too much to ask.
Feels like McCarthyism 2.0.
Its shocking how easily people believe governments, officials, media and others who have often been proven as liars, so blindly again. They dont even bother to read the actual documents anymore, and just believe what someone else interprets into them.
Especially the morally superior people, who are talking about peace, unity and anti-racism all the time, should realize how much dividing they really do and what kind of people they support. But to me it seems hypocrisy has become a medal you proudly wear...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 15, 2018, 04:58 Muscular Beaver

NamecaF wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 00:56:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 14, 2018, 19:24:
Bard wrote on Feb 14, 2018, 19:00:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 14, 2018, 13:53:
They had better come up with a business model quick. A free press is vital in preventing abuse of power and corruption.

It used to be.

Now we have access to uncorrupted independent media organisations who are completely online. Like the Intercept.

The traditional press was made a target following Vietnam, and since then has become totally compromised.
The Intercept has become pretty one-sided lately and even ignores some big events completely. Consortiumnews is much better. However Robert Parry died recently (and of course the "traditional" media was completely silent about it) and we will have to see if it will stay on its path of real journalism.

All press is one-sided. They're all blatantly biased now, mostly to the left, but a few are right. There's no unbiased or centrist media what-so-ever.
You should read Consortiumnews before saying something like that.

But yeah, because of the left bias in the MSM, I found myself actually checking FoxNews more and more just to see what the other side says. They arent nearly as bad as (also left) people say. CNN is much worse nowadays. But real journalism is extinct in the MSM. Most have become petty demagogues.

But the more popular alternative media isnt that much better. Democracy Now, TYT, Infowars, Rebel Media, etc, they all just follow their own agenda and rarely have real journalism.
Dark times ahead, because without proper journalism, democracy and freedom of speech is not able to survive.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 14, 2018, 19:24 Muscular Beaver

Bard wrote on Feb 14, 2018, 19:00:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 14, 2018, 13:53:
They had better come up with a business model quick. A free press is vital in preventing abuse of power and corruption.

It used to be.

Now we have access to uncorrupted independent media organisations who are completely online. Like the Intercept.

The traditional press was made a target following Vietnam, and since then has become totally compromised.
The Intercept has become pretty one-sided lately and even ignores some big events completely. Consortiumnews is much better. However Robert Parry died recently (and of course the "traditional" media was completely silent about it) and we will have to see if it will stay on its path of real journalism.

News Comments > Fortnite Battle Royale Plans
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2018, 04:40 Muscular Beaver

Osc8r wrote on Feb 12, 2018, 16:57:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 12, 2018, 04:31:
Talutha wrote on Feb 12, 2018, 01:00:
I'm not sure how you guys think that 20hz is a low goal. This is a game putting 100 players in a fully destructible world with building in it. Other games with 64+ tick rates are low player counts like CSGO or Overwatch. The other Battle Royale games are struggling with the same issues. CPU speeds have not increased at all in the past few years, yet we continue to try and push player counts and arena fluidity further. We're simply hitting the max we can go with what we have available.

And I know someone will bring up Battlefields 64 tick servers, some even have 128 tick and that is honestly a good point. It is incredibly impressive what DICE has managed to do with their engine. But you have to keep in mind they are the only ones that have been able to do this, and they had to work at it for years. Frostbite is the only engine that runs as well as it does, takes full advantage of multicore CPUs, can handle a multitude of genres and works well across a wide range of hardware/consoles. The only other engine that I can think of off the top of my head that can do this is Ubisoft's Snowdrop engine and that one does not have anywhere near the networking ability that Frostbite has.

I guess ultimately my point is that getting above a 20hz tickrate is not an easy task for a game of this size. Only one company has managed to do it, with only up to 64 players but I do believe DICE has some of the smartest people in the industry working on their engine. They would have to with what they can put out with it. If these other companies could, I'm sure they would put in the research and figure out how to do it. And I would bet that Ubisoft has tried and failed or else we would see them competing on the same fronts with online gameplay.
I am sorry, but King of the Kill has 50% more players than Fortnite or PUBG and achieves a much higher tickrate than even 64. Check the video I linked. It uses ForgeLight.

If true (i have my doubts, as it was an ancient MMO engine from memory), then it goes to show how meaningless tickrates are when comparing different games and without considering other factors (like desync, hz consistency, lag compensation, poor coding [read h1z1] etc).

KOTK had the the least consistent and most sluggish combat of pretty much any modern game... the dev's tried to improve things every patch but got nowhere (sometimes going backwards). There's a good reason why pretty much everyone abandoned KOTK in favor or PUBG and Fortnite.

And using your own source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIJTantgWE , the guy compares the netcode of KOTK to PUBG beta and then makes the comment that already "hit registration definitely feels better than KOTK".

Then his next video he shows that fortnite beats PUBG. So which one is sluggish again?

Doesn't seem the lower tickrate is too impactful in fortnite even for super aggressive gameplay: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/22828526, not do i notice any sluggish behavior going on.

I've got over 1000 hours in KOTK and over 500 in fortnite, and there's simply no comparison. Fortnite is a far more responsive and consistent game - yes, even with their built in bloom mechanic. The Epic guys are currently letting players trial different shooting mechanics that remove or tone down bloom, however, they don't want to turn the game into a campfest like PUBG or where building is meaningless and you die instantly before you get a chance to re-act.

I do agree that they should be aiming higher than 20hz though, so hopefully that's just their first stepping stone.

Still, i'd love to see a BR game done in the frostbite engine.
So because something bad is better than something worse means that the less bad is super good?
You need to check your definition of logic.

And of course other problems we havent talked about here can make things worse. I am just saying that 20 Hz is ridiculous in a game like that and the video shows why, and that its possible to make it better.

Tick rates are not meaningless. They are just one part of the game. If other parts are done wrong, then the game will still feel crappy, even though the tick rates are good. And if the other things are done well (which they arent in either PUBG or Fortnite either) and the tickrates are bad, it will still feel crappy. What is so hard to understand? Your comments feel more and more like youre trying to defend bad game design.

Fortnite is super sluggish. PUBG is worse. There is no denying it. Its just that some people can deal with it, while others cant. Pretty much the same as some people can see no difference between 60 and 100 FPS. There is a huge difference, but some people arent sensitive enough to notice it.
I mean, I too think Fortnite has much bigger problems than the tickrate, but that doesnt mean the tickrate isnt a problem.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 12, 2018, 04:31 Muscular Beaver

Talutha wrote on Feb 12, 2018, 01:00:
I'm not sure how you guys think that 20hz is a low goal. This is a game putting 100 players in a fully destructible world with building in it. Other games with 64+ tick rates are low player counts like CSGO or Overwatch. The other Battle Royale games are struggling with the same issues. CPU speeds have not increased at all in the past few years, yet we continue to try and push player counts and arena fluidity further. We're simply hitting the max we can go with what we have available.

And I know someone will bring up Battlefields 64 tick servers, some even have 128 tick and that is honestly a good point. It is incredibly impressive what DICE has managed to do with their engine. But you have to keep in mind they are the only ones that have been able to do this, and they had to work at it for years. Frostbite is the only engine that runs as well as it does, takes full advantage of multicore CPUs, can handle a multitude of genres and works well across a wide range of hardware/consoles. The only other engine that I can think of off the top of my head that can do this is Ubisoft's Snowdrop engine and that one does not have anywhere near the networking ability that Frostbite has.

I guess ultimately my point is that getting above a 20hz tickrate is not an easy task for a game of this size. Only one company has managed to do it, with only up to 64 players but I do believe DICE has some of the smartest people in the industry working on their engine. They would have to with what they can put out with it. If these other companies could, I'm sure they would put in the research and figure out how to do it. And I would bet that Ubisoft has tried and failed or else we would see them competing on the same fronts with online gameplay.
I am sorry, but King of the Kill has 50% more players than Fortnite or PUBG and achieves a much higher tickrate than even 64. Check the video I linked. It uses ForgeLight.

If you set such low standards, of course you wont go much beyond them. Fortnite is a horribly sluggish game, and PUBG is even worse. Again, check the video, it is very thorough.

And yes, CPUs have become much faster. Its called multi-core/-thread (but even IPC has increased quite a bit). They have been standard in servers for over 10 years now.

You could kinda forgive it on Fortnite, because it was originally developed as a coop game only, so high tick rates arent that important. But it is not anymore. And seeing them set such low goals, proved they have no intention of improving it much.

As another example, ArmA 2 achieved 50+ Hz in 2009 already with 64 players (sometimes more). Yet ArmA 2 was known for having a very bad multi-thread optimization and in the duration of a game you could see how the server struggled to keep the tick-rate up and it didnt have the luxury of resetting after each game (often games took more than 6 hours (in Warfare for example), and even after that the server wasnt reset.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2018, 04:43.

5. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Plans Feb 11, 2018, 19:41 Muscular Beaver

necrosis wrote on Feb 11, 2018, 19:02:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 11, 2018, 14:27:
Ugh... 20 Hz...
It needs 64 minimum, better yet 128.
Wow... if a game has that low standards you know its never going to fix its real issues.
Yeah really. What is this Overwatch?
I thought they increased that to 63 Hz in 2016.

News Comments > Sunday Patches
2. Re: Sunday Patches Feb 11, 2018, 18:52 Muscular Beaver

Flatline wrote on Feb 11, 2018, 15:55:
Is this the patch that makes Fallout *fun*?

I'm glad I bought it on sale and just got the core game because FFS this is a boring-ass game. I get that Fallout games get going kind of slow but sheesh this game is a chore.

I've started the game 3 times now. Third time I actually spent a little time building a settlement and that was a little cool. I did some more side missions and that was okay.

But every time I get to Diamond City my eyes glaze over and I lose interest. I'd rather play Destiny 2- at least the combat there is slick and fun moment-to-moment.
No, its not Fallout, its Bethesda games like that. Same with any Elder Scrolls game so far. I could never complete Skyrim for example, because the gameplay became so boringly easy and repetitive at one point and character development stopped already at about 1/3 to 1/2 through the game. Or its the sterile worlds Bethesda almost always creates. I couldnt play Fallout 3, Oblivion or Morrowind because of that.
And its obviously not only me, because I have quite a few friends who also never completed Fallout 4 or Skyrim.

3. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Plans Feb 11, 2018, 15:50 Muscular Beaver

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 11, 2018, 15:42:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 11, 2018, 14:27:
Ugh... 20 Hz...
Wow... if a game has that low standards you know its never going to fix its real issues.

ROFL! Seriously, how the hell is a 20hz server their goal? Am I misunderstanding something completely about their networking code? That seems unplayable.
Its true:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0dWDFDUF8s
The end of that video also shows what a low rate like that does to gameplay.
Funny, as I reported several players for cheating when that happened to me several times, and I wasnt aware of the game having such a ridiculously low tickrate.

News Comments > Steam top 10
4. Re: Steam top 10 Feb 11, 2018, 14:30 Muscular Beaver

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 11, 2018, 13:45:
Bring on the Subnautica expansion(s)!
That would be awesome.
I am impressed its still up there.

1. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Plans Feb 11, 2018, 14:27 Muscular Beaver

Ugh... 20 Hz...

News Comments > New Fortnite User Record
3. Re: New Fortnite User Record Feb 9, 2018, 06:03 Muscular Beaver

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 9, 2018, 00:26:
what the hell, 3.4 million people are playing this game? I wonder what the breakdown is between platforms, doesn't seem like any PC people I know are playing this, most haven't even heard of it.

Admittedly that's an extremely small sample, and anecdotal evidence, but still.

Also, a breakdown of free version Battle Royale, vs the paid PvE(??) version would have been informative. Is there a worthwhile single player game in there somewhere, or is just basically the BR version now?
I think its mostly console players, because it plays like ass on PC (or rather, if youre used to PC gameplay).
On console you have aim assist and the delays in the game seem "natural" and the RNG isnt as annoying due to the aim assist.
This game made obvious to me how much consoles really hurt PC gaming.

News Comments > More on PUBG Versus Cheaters
13. Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 4, 2018, 01:05 Muscular Beaver

Numinar wrote on Feb 3, 2018, 20:53:
Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2018, 12:52:
Player-run moderated servers don't have these problems.

BS. It was pretty bad back then. And if the cheaters were not being a pain (It was hard to perma ban people using pirated software and spoofed accounts) the mods themselves were being a pain.

I admit, I had a few good servers for Actionquake and Operation Flashpoint, but they took a lot of work to keep a few dozen people happy in game out of a total weekly user population of 200 or so.

This game is dealing with this: http://steamspy.com/app/578080

I don't think it would have gotten those numbers with parochial community run servers. Though ARK and a few others try, I wouldn't rate any of those experiences better than a cheater filled game of PUBG.

I played the crap out of OFP and I cant remember ever seeing a cheater in that game. Same with ArmA 2 (which only changed after DayZ).

The only bad thing about such servers were that some admins were power tripping assholes that kicked you if you even remotely criticized them and the situations when there was no admin on and cheaters wrecked havoc on the server. But you could avoid those servers. Now you just get randomly thrown into a bunch of people from all over the world, who dont even speak English and of course cheat and exploit a lot, because there is no admin who will watch them play and ban them on the spot.

I honestly hope PUBG will lose lots of players over this and their refusal of fixing big technical issues. Thats the only way they will learn. You know because they are calling their playerbase racists just because they want a region lock and dont want to deal with people they cant speak to (because they dont speak English) and have to deal with high ping people with this shitty netcode and of course having to deal with people from the most cheat infested region ever. Hell, I would have region locked Turkey and Russia in my game just because of the last reason I mentioned.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 2, 2018, 07:09 Muscular Beaver

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 1, 2018, 21:16:
I'd still pay for RDR One on pc.
There are few who wouldnt. After the massive success of GTA 5 PC they should have finally noticed. I hope. Maybe...

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning
6. Re: Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 30, 2018, 22:52 Muscular Beaver

But, but...I actually thought they'd learned their lesson! We all came together and told them what we really wanted and they listened!

- Said no one ever

=-Rigs-=

That implies that everyone always learns from their mistakes.
No. I tell a phrase like that to myself almost daily.
Funny, even my dogs learn quicker. They are pretty intelligent for dogs, but still. We are Humans, were supposed to be the most intelligent creatures on this planet.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2018, 23:03.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 28, 2018, 19:34 Muscular Beaver

Saboth wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 19:30:
I wonder if the lack of coop/multi is going to be an issue at some point, I know plenty of Survival-game people who are lukewarm or passed completely on Subnautica because it's single player.

If Subnautica were multiplayer, I never would have picked it up. The whole point is the feeling of isolation and desolation. Survival games do not usually grab my interest, because in general they reward people who can play many hours a day, or have many friends who can team up on others, but I'm having a blast with this game.
Yeah, with coop I didnt actually mean a lot of people. Maybe make it a 2 or 3-player campaign. That would be a blast. More than that would destroy the game. And PvP wouldnt make sense in that setting anyway.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 28, 2018, 17:40 Muscular Beaver

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 17:33:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 16:36:
Glad to see Subnautica at #2, even though it just left EA. Glad to know there are lots of people out there who will buy an Early Access game, otherwise it would never have been developed. Even devs gotta eat.

It would not exactly have been a huge loss if this piece of cartoony looking garbage would never have seen the light of day. I mean, who gives a deep-diving fuck?!
Is that really an issue for you?
I mean, sure its not the prettiest of graphics, even though you sometimes stop and say "beautiful" to yourself, but I didnt even notice the "cartooney" style until I consciously saw the shadow of my own character for the first time or when I saw a photo of a person on the inside of a locker.

News Comments > CIG Responds to Crytek
10. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Jan 28, 2018, 17:33 Muscular Beaver

How many of you have actual experience in court?
Even if you are right, it doesnt mean you win the case. Corruption, bad laws and outright dumb lawyers/judges are a huge thing. Which is why many issues dont get dragged in front of a court, because people cant afford risking a loss, even though they know they are 100% right.

News Comments > PUBG Known Issues
17. Re: PUBG Known Issues Jan 28, 2018, 14:49 Muscular Beaver

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 09:16:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 27, 2018, 22:26:
VaranDragon wrote on Jan 27, 2018, 17:33:
A friend of mine gifted me this game today. Suffice to say that from about 30 rounds played, in one I had 3 kills, and the rest were slogs where I got killed in numerous ways, even when I thought I had the advantage. Its weird. I think I could like if only I knew how to play? Im not a noob when it comes to FPS games, but this is something that takes frustration to a whole new level.

Bats posted this general strategy:

My typical strategy is to land where there are just a couple or no people, loot up, then after 1st or 2nd circle only about 40 people left, and shots connect. I win a fair amount.
Exactly.
It's not your normal average free for all, go in guns a blazing.
Read a couple of strategy guides and watch a few training vids, you'll be in the top 75% in no time.

Even with all those issues I won quite often, but the situations where I died because of lag/netcode issues and other bugs were just too numerous. I could have won much more often if they werent there.

If you really think people are too stupid to adapt to different game modes/genres in games, and then blame the game instead, you dont want to understand the problem anyway.

2326 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo