Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Beaver

Real Name Beaver   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Muscular Beaver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2002, 23:21
Total Comments 2765 (Senior)
User ID 12928

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2019, 17:55 Muscular Beaver

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 1, 2019, 13:27:
The Magician wrote on Feb 1, 2019, 00:38:
anecdotal, for sure, but my 1060 6GB runs everything i've got fine at 4K resolution.
And that's all that matters. (wow, and you're happy at 4k)

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 1, 2019, 08:37:
Others have tested properly, like the German website Computerbase.
They came to the conclusion that 6 GB are not enough in 2018+
Please link source.

The articles main jist is the average gamer ain't gonna suffer with 6GB, key word being suffer.

That being said; When I buy this year I will abide by BoP's recommendations and shoot for 8GB to get a modicum of future proofing.

https://www.computerbase.de/2019-01/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-test/

Lots of stutter in some games.
I have 8 GBVRAM since 2016 and Ive seen plenty games that use it all and would like to take even more and then cause these stutters.
If you always want it smooth, you need more than 8 GB nowadays and I am willing to bet that soon even 12 GB wont be enough, especially in higher resolutions. So even buying a Ti with its 11 GB wont be very future proof if youre running 4K or planning to.
Giving this generation a hard pass. Nvidia fucked it up as bad as the 5xxx series, and they dont seem to learn, seeing how they repeat the same mistake over and over again. Even their GTX versions wont have enough VRAM.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Tomorrow's Public Anthem Demo
28. Re: On Tomorrow's Public Anthem Demo Feb 1, 2019, 08:58 Muscular Beaver

Asmodai wrote on Feb 1, 2019, 03:47:
Gawd, is it showing my age that I don't even care about Anthem at this point?

It's nothing particular about the game, EA or anything else, but looking at some of the demo footage, it's just a big old 'meh' to me.
Maybe.
Im not not playing it because its from EA or because what Ive seen so far from it doesnt interest me, but because I dont want to use Origin.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Feb 1, 2019, 08:51 Muscular Beaver

Meh, I expected much more. Just looks like a little higher poly count and added effects.  

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 1, 2019, 08:37 Muscular Beaver

Simon Says wrote on Jan 31, 2019, 22:46:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 31, 2019, 20:34:
Short answer, you'll probably be fine with 6.

Doubtfull...

I usually praise Hardware Unboxed for their fair tests and good methodology, I'm subbed, but this time... OUCH.

For the record: I have a GTX 1060 6gb.

-Conveniently avoids replicating Digital Foundry's tests in BFV with RTX on from high to ultra textures ( HBU's test was RTX off and they only tested ultra textures without a high comparison ) which showed a massive performance drop.

-Doesn't take into account that a lot of modern engines automatically drop texture resolution when running out of VRAM to avoid any performance hit, even on the 0.1% lows. So all the numbers are useless.

-Doesn't compare different texture settings on the same card.

-Doesn't search analytically and systemically for automatic texture downgrades by the engine in the image quality by comparing shots, zooming images, etc, just says "it looks the same to me"...

So to recap:

-Flawed methodology

-( Unwillingly ) runs biased testing.

The only propaganda method that wasn't used is selective sharing...

Hardware Unboxed fucked up... They need to retest using a correct methodology.

I'm disappointed they didn't test correctly, that info could have been very usefull for me.

Others have tested properly, like the German website Computerbase.
They came to the conclusion that 6 GB are not enough in 2018+.
Techspot isnt what it used to be.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 1, 2019, 08:32 Muscular Beaver

Love how they tested the games that do work more or less well with 6 GB. Should have tested Final Fantasy XV, BFV with DX12 or Call of Duty: WWII.
Lots of stutters with those with just 6 GB.
8 GB was enough 2016 for 1080p. Even then only barely. 10 GB should be standard now at that performance level. Much more for 1440p and 4K cards.
6 GB is a disgrace and anyone who wants smooth gameplay, shouldnt get a card with just 6 GB, heck, they shouldnt get the 2070 and 2080 with just 8 GB either.

News Comments > Subnautica: Below Zero Early Access
9. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Feb 1, 2019, 07:49 Muscular Beaver

I played it a bit. It doesnt have much content yet and generally feels like a reskinned (with lower quality textures) Subnautica with bugs and performance issues that really shouldnt be there, since they have a working game its based on already.

The worst thing is that there is not much mystery in the story, and youre not really in imminent danger, since you could just leave the planet if you wanted and theres always other people to talk to. Too much predefined story. Destroys a lot of the feeling you had in the original.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2019, 08:10.

News Comments > World of Warships Lunar New Year Update Changes Carriers
1. Re: World of Warships Lunar New Year Update Changes Carriers Jan 30, 2019, 10:36 Muscular Beaver

This could be such an awesome game without the P2W and the horrible matchmaking that is connected to their P2W scheme...
Really sad to see.
I still try it once every year to see if they changed it for the better but I always uninstall it again angrily after a few games.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2019, 13:30 Muscular Beaver

007Bistromath wrote on Jan 29, 2019, 10:56:
The last three times I had the same symptoms, switching mice didn't help. The problem (for me at least) was caused by some interaction between Windows updating and the unnecessarily fancy software that came with my mouse. I'd tell you what exactly I did, but the problem seemed to just fix itself after I tried a particular non-working fix for the third time. The best I can say is that you should try reinstalling the mouse software, reconfiguring the mouse software, unplugging the mouse, and rebooting at random until they happen in the right order.

In closing, there's nothing Win10 can't fuck up.
Since you mentioned W10, I remembered that it pretty much started with the last W10 update. I just updated my Logitech software and now the problem is gone. WTF?

14. Re: re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2019, 11:52 Muscular Beaver

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 29, 2019, 11:03:
Wish Logitech were still making the MX518 or a derivative of some kind. Best. Mouse. I. Ever. Had.
https://www.logitechg.com/zh-hk/products/gaming-mice/mx518-gaming-mouse.html
No idea if and when it comes to NA and EU, but if you dont mind, you can order it in Asia already.

11. Re: re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2019, 10:59 Muscular Beaver

007Bistromath wrote on Jan 29, 2019, 10:56:
In closing, there's nothing Win10 can't fuck up.
Wiser words have never been spokethed.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2019, 10:19 Muscular Beaver

I have the same issue with my G500s. I replaced the whole micro switch and it still does it.
Very weird.

News Comments > FreeSync/G-Sync Compatible Input Lag?
5. Re: FreeSync/G-Sync Compatible Input Lag? Jan 28, 2019, 15:47 Muscular Beaver

Not unexpected at all. Freesync monitors pretty much always have worse input lag than their G-Sync versions (and other limitations). You cant magically make them as quick as G-Sync ones, nor should you expect that software conversion doesnt add more input lag.

I will continue to buy full G-Sync support monitors instead of the inferior versions.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 27, 2019, 05:39 Muscular Beaver

Red886 wrote on Jan 27, 2019, 00:08:
4chan flood as defined by NBC = a handful of emails

lol.
If someone on 4chan sends a death treat its everyones fault on 4chan.
If someone in Islam blows up dozens of innocent people, its just a rare occurrence and youre a Nazi if you think Islam is to blame (even though Nazis loved Islam).

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2019, 05:51.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
8. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 27, 2019, 05:36 Muscular Beaver

Cutter wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 21:27:
Calling them reporters is a massive stretch. I seriously doubt a single one of them is anything more than a blogger.
Propagandist is not more than a blogger? They were in Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia.
Good times, because the worst ones are still active. See NBC or CNN.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 26, 2019, 13:59 Muscular Beaver

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 13:47:
Not recommending is a step too far? So you think YouTube should be complicit is spreading conspiracies?
Who decides what a "conspiracy theory" is?
Right, the ones censoring and demonetizing conservatives on Youtube and firing them from their own company.
Its amazing how you people dont want to see how this is totalitarianism and censorship. But the worst thing is that you think you have the moral high ground. Yet your hypocrisy exposes you.
Everyone who has lived through Nazism and Communism or learned in school about their methods sees right through people like you.

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 26, 2019, 13:53 Muscular Beaver

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 10:42:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 05:06:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 21:08:
Five myths about conspiracy theories
The most damning is;
Myth No. 5
Facts don't change people's minds about conspiracy theories.
A real free and just society can easily take some nutjobs that claim that Sandy Hook was a hoax or that Bush blew up the Twin Towers.
You can have my seat at Comet Ping Pong Pizza when some nutjob believes what some other nutjob claims and shoots up the place.

Try the BBQ'ed Chicken Margherita pizza, it's to die for. /facepalm

Well youre right. There were other conspiracy theories that caused the death of millions of people. Iraq has WMDs. Gaddafi did this and that. Assad is the devil. They attacked our ships! Everything else than communism is bad. They ripped the babies out of the incubators and left them to die on the floor. German Democratic Republic.
Oops!

Im not surprised you say fascist crap like that, wrapping it in "but we just want to save lives", as usual and hundreds of times before in history.
The hypocrisy is awesome again.

News Comments > Subnautica: Below Zero Early Access Next Week
4. Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Early Access Next Week Jan 26, 2019, 06:19 Muscular Beaver

Sepharo wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 05:45:
It's the same way they made the first one and it turned out great.
And also the same, I'll be waiting until it's more done.
If its cheap I will get it instantly.
You can be pretty sure they will not fuck it up. As you said, they already proved that.

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 26, 2019, 05:06 Muscular Beaver

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 21:08:
Five myths about conspiracy theories
The most damning is;
Myth No. 5
Facts don't change people's minds about conspiracy theories.
That goes in both directions. What Snowden and many other whistleblowers revealed for example was a conspiracy theory before that as well. And even after Snowden proved it, there are still many who dont believe it and attack Snowden instead.
In the immigration crisis there were many conspiracy theories as well, that NGOs actually help human traffickers and actually increase their revenue. And reality was that not only NGOs help them but also politicians.

You can twist it as much as you like, but this is totalitarian behavior and censorship to hide the shit that is really going on... A real free and just society can easily take some nutjobs that claim that Sandy Hook was a hoax or that Bush blew up the Twin Towers.
You should be very afraid when they try to silence not only those nutjobs, but also far more reasonable people.
And yes, this is silencing. In a PC-manner of course, to not expose the hypocrisy and totalitarian mentality. But if you just think about it yourself for a few seconds, its obvious whats going on. Unless you rooted for the bad guys in 1984 and Animal Farm.

We live in dark times for freedom and democracy. Again the fascists claim they are the good guys.

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches Jan 25, 2019, 07:53 Muscular Beaver

Couldnt you turn on turn mode (or at least semi-turn mode) in Baldurs Gate already?
I thought these games had that too.

News Comments > PUBG League Profit-Sharing
2. Re: PUBG League Profit-Sharing Jan 24, 2019, 12:58 Muscular Beaver

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 24, 2019, 10:43:
I can finally live my dream of being paid to play video games.
Youre 10 years late. All spots are taken.

2765 Comments. 139 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo