Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaver

Real Name Beaver   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Muscular Beaver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2002, 23:21
Total Comments 2063 (Senior)
User ID 12928

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
23. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 11, 2017, 15:31 Muscular Beaver

Slick wrote on May 11, 2017, 14:18:
Oh I have a plasma, the last gen of Panasonic plasmas, the S60 I believe?

Anyways, I still don't agree with your assessment of PVA, you must have seen some shitty ones, there are scores of people who swear by them, check out the AVSforums, you'll be told to stay away from IPS panels.

And Yes, the P-65 had local dimming, but I left it off, it was too laggy during scene switches and very noticeable. On slow scenes it was good, but still even then there weren't enough LEDS, just around 150 or so, so things like stars wouldn't even show up, and the credits roll at the end of a movie would just be flickering as the words passed over each LED. Hopefully the 384-LED FALD system on the upcoming monitors will be enough.

But yeah, even without the FALD, the PVA's blacks were far better than anything i'd seen up to this point, on the same level as plasmas, and probably better than my current plasma. Don't take my word for it, check out people who live and breathe this stuff on AVSforums.

Anyways, been nice to talk to someone who at least knows about this shit.
I dont care what people tell me. If it doesnt coincide with what I experience, its simply wrong.
People told me to buy a 2 core CPU, so I bought one, then it was too slow, so I had to buy a 4-core CPU. Then they told me I should buy a 4 core again, but now those are getting too slow, so that I need a 8-core soon. They also told me that TN panels are much better than anything.

Ive seen over a dozen VA panels, as much IPS and many more TN. VA panels are better than TN panels (in most things), but IPS is still far superior. Blacks are actually one of the things that can be as good on any of them. Youre being blinded by fanboy blabberings.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 11, 2017, 03:05 Muscular Beaver

Slick wrote on May 11, 2017, 01:33:
Muscular Beaver wrote on May 10, 2017, 18:18:
Slick wrote on May 10, 2017, 15:40:
DP 1.4 can't do 144@4k w/ HDR, only 120. There's a new revision coming out though.

The real reason I say that I'm waiting on HDMI 2.1 is that I'm not that impressed with IPS monitors. I own one now, and i remember it used to be the "gold" standard back in the days of the 30" Apple cinema displays for perfect colour. In all honesty, it's more accurate, but the blacks are shit.

I'm saving up for a 4k 120hz OLED (Probably the successor to the Sony A1E OLED that came out a month ago) That should have HDMI 2.1 with the variable refresh rate tech enabled, all the HDR formats supported, 120hz enabled, and I'll have a screen that I can use for the next 10 years without looking back. 144hz would be nice, but I can put up with 120 if it means ditching IPS, as it seems that all the new "god" computer monitors are all IPS...
All LCD blacks are shit. IPS blacks are actually very good for LCD technology. TN and PVA cant really be better. Only local dimming would be, but I dont think theres a monitor with that, only TVs.

?

PVA blacks are 10x better than TN and maybe 5x better than IPS. There's a core contingent of television buyers who will only buy PVA.

For example, the TV I owned briefly, the Vizio P-65 was PVA all the way, and it was the most impressive picture I've ever seen, deepest blacks outside of OLED or a Kuro.

And guess what? once you go down to the 55" version, it's not a PVA, it's an IPS panel, and everyone says to stay away from it, because it looks like garbage with great viewing angles. PVA if you're looking head-on is far superior to IPS. And the main strength of IPS is the wide viewing angles, which is utterly pointless for a computer monitor.
The darkest black depends on how the manufacturer has done the back lighting.
I even had TN panels which had a very nice black level of 0.1 cd/mē.
The Vizio P-65 has local dimming, has nothing to do with VA.
I had plenty of VA panels here, which didnt have an advantage to IPS. They actually tend to create weird flickering on some game textures/website backgrounds, when moving. And thats why they vanished from the market for some time. The newer ones arent much different though, and I still ask myself why they are back suddenly. Prolly are cheaper to manufacture now.

You should have bought a plasma TV, when they were still available. They were superior in every aspect of picture quality. But people obviously didnt care.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2017, 18:18 Muscular Beaver

Slick wrote on May 10, 2017, 15:40:
DP 1.4 can't do 144@4k w/ HDR, only 120. There's a new revision coming out though.

The real reason I say that I'm waiting on HDMI 2.1 is that I'm not that impressed with IPS monitors. I own one now, and i remember it used to be the "gold" standard back in the days of the 30" Apple cinema displays for perfect colour. In all honesty, it's more accurate, but the blacks are shit.

I'm saving up for a 4k 120hz OLED (Probably the successor to the Sony A1E OLED that came out a month ago) That should have HDMI 2.1 with the variable refresh rate tech enabled, all the HDR formats supported, 120hz enabled, and I'll have a screen that I can use for the next 10 years without looking back. 144hz would be nice, but I can put up with 120 if it means ditching IPS, as it seems that all the new "god" computer monitors are all IPS...
All LCD blacks are shit. IPS blacks are actually very good for LCD technology. TN and PVA cant really be better. Only local dimming would be, but I dont think theres a monitor with that, only TVs.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 May 9, 2017, 01:23 Muscular Beaver

Retired wrote on May 8, 2017, 10:39:
Thought Outlast 2 would be higher, hope to see it up there next week.
Its a game most people just watch on Youtube or streams.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 6, 2017, 11:36 Muscular Beaver

Task wrote on May 5, 2017, 20:28:
So if you're getting hacked and/or the government of said country just 'can not' , blame Russia. I have always found it fascinating how obsessed and hell bent Western Nations are in subduing Russia. Most Americans probably aren't even aware, but very recently General Curtis M. Scaparrotti gave the dumbest speech I have ever read that reads like something out of 1950 or the "War Room" scene from Dr. Strangelove claiming that Russia is "the enemy of Europe." Sounds like something Nazi Germany would say. Russia is the enemy? My ass.

The U.S. and NATO are just constantly itching to use their gross and over-bloated military budgets (namely the U.S.) that completely dwarfs Russia and China as a distraction. As if they haven't fucked up enough Nations from their Imperial March. Meanwhile our children and their children will be paying off the trillions in unpayable debt until it collapses. Some crazy ass shit going down these days and after watching a South Korean protest of THAAD rolling into people's villages and watching their cries of anguish as our idiot leaders tell them it is for "their safety" it makes me feel horrible. End Rant.

This new "Russian hack" is more of the same. Now they think if you claim Russia hacked your candidate, you can manipulate people into thinking that must be the "good" candidate then.

Other than that, your comment was the best one I have ever read on this site. Yet its just truth. Shows how rare truth has become these days. We are being manipulated into wars again...

News Comments > DayZ Beta Nears
6. Re: DayZ Beta Nears May 6, 2017, 04:19 Muscular Beaver

Even if it ever gets out of beta, I doubt there will be many left wanting to play it. I imagine that must actually feel very bad as a developer.  

News Comments > Steam Gifting Changes
23. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 5, 2017, 00:47 Muscular Beaver

RedEye9 wrote on May 4, 2017, 18:53:
chickenboo wrote on May 4, 2017, 14:57:

Nice PR text, but it has nothing to do with what they write. They are simply trying to shut down the reseller market.

But is this true? Buying games from G2A grants you a Steam CD Key. They don't gift you the game from a Steam user who works for G2A. Similarly buying games from HumbleBundle grants a CDKey - you aren't buying a gift copy. Maybe this is curbing the use of game gifting as a gambling reward.
He who bringeth logic to the forums shall be stoned for eternity, or not.

Especially if that logic is irrelevant.
There are MANY MANY shops (usually the cheapest), that clearly state "gift" in their offers.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
8. Re: New GeForce Drivers May 5, 2017, 00:41 Muscular Beaver

I would be very surprised if you cant run Prey with lower hardware, since it really doesnt look that great. Footage Ive seen so far looks like from a ~2011 game.  

News Comments > Steam Gifting Changes
1. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 10:48 Muscular Beaver

Nice PR text, but it has nothing to do with what they write. They are simply trying to shut down the reseller market.  

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Tease
21. Re: Far Cry 3 Tease May 4, 2017, 09:41 Muscular Beaver

Xero wrote on May 3, 2017, 18:51:
I played Far Cry 3 as far as I possibly could and that was well into boredom. It gets very stale when it's the same, clear out a camp formula, liberate, and repeat.

I swear, I think the only game that kept me going at it with this formula was Mad Max. I enjoyed each and every camp/base liberation. Probably because the combat was style was so addicting.

A new Mad Max game would be awesome. One with more vast desert where you really have to drive a long time to find anything.
Oh man, even thinking about it makes me want to play that game again. One of the best open world games ever.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Tease
20. Re: Far Cry 3 Tease May 4, 2017, 09:35 Muscular Beaver

Frijoles wrote on May 3, 2017, 18:30:
Quinn wrote on May 3, 2017, 18:25:
I'll cut off my balls and upload it to my YouTube channel if this won't have something strongly to do with Vaas. Perhaps you'll play as him.

That right there sounds like insanity.
You mean he did it before?

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 2M
8. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 2M May 3, 2017, 11:08 Muscular Beaver

Retired wrote on May 3, 2017, 10:46:
Muscular Beaver wrote on May 3, 2017, 10:34:
Retired wrote on May 3, 2017, 10:05:
Muscular Beaver wrote on May 3, 2017, 01:31:
Primalchrome wrote on May 2, 2017, 23:36:
Veinman wrote on May 2, 2017, 22:46:
Just got it today. It's a blast. It did freeze once on me, but hey, early access.
Oddly never had a single crash or freeze until this patch. Seems to be a new issue, so hopefully will be fixed in the next update.

I had once. But the crashes now are really often. The problem isnt really the crash itself, but how it crashes. It blocks the whole Windows UI and I can start the Task Manager, but cant control it to shut it down manually. I actually have to hit the reset button.

After 40 hours now I start to see the flaws of the game as huge problems.

- Sound direction processing is horrible. It doesnt play the sound direction of where your camera is facing (3rd person head of the model - its turning with the camera), but where the chest of the model is facing. I died countless of times because I trusted too much into the sound and always wondered whats wrong.

- LOTS of hackers, and they get more and more each day. A huge amount of websites offering different hacks for PUBG too, so there obviously is huge interest. 1 hacker in 100 people is sadly pretty common now. And 1 hacker is enough to ruin the game for almost all, if not all other players.

- A lot of teamkillers too, so team modes are very frustrating if you dont have enough people you know to play with.

- FPS are much higher now, but theres still a lot of stuttering and weird flashing screens.

- There are a few keys you cant customize, and for some reason I cant dive anymore in water. However, youre also pretty much invincible if youre in water.

Ran into hackers early on - none recently.
Sound directions is actually a ton better, not experiencing what you are for some reason.
No issues with TK, but I have a group I play with.
Yea, FPS is great now. Last night though huge desync issues, was really frustrating.
They changed water a bit, you can no longer heal in water, you also can't shoot from water. If you are under water you take almost no damage, which makes sense.

There is a really good article on how they did sound. I really like it. The sound actually works the way it should, it bounces off of surfaces. Takes some time to get used to, as it isn't absolute directional like other games. Feels more "real" than other games the way it works.
Nah, sound is bugged. I was only wrong about it being permanent. What I explained is a bug you experience sometimes. I dont think the sound system is good if you cant even sneak silently without boots or if you exactly hear what people do in builds next to yours (opening doors, footsteps, etc).

Doesnt matter if youre underwater, which would make sense, since bullets really dont go far in water, but it also happens if youre on the surface.

Not sure of the water issue you are having, last night a guy was trying to wade in water to be in the finaly circle near the shore. I used a 4x on an SKS and easily popped him. Id have to see what you are talking about.

It isn't a stealth game, I like how the sounds work. You want to kill a team in a house? You have the advantage. Smoke, fire, nades, stuns. Rush the house. We wipe teams out in houses all the time. I never hide in a house I can't jump out of a window/door/ledge.
Doesnt have anything to do with hiding, but with sneaking up to someone. Especially in the first few minutes of the game.

6. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 2M May 3, 2017, 10:34 Muscular Beaver

Retired wrote on May 3, 2017, 10:05:
Muscular Beaver wrote on May 3, 2017, 01:31:
Just got it today. It's a blast. It did freeze once on me, but hey, early access.
Oddly never had a single crash or freeze until this patch. Seems to be a new issue, so hopefully will be fixed in the next update.

I had once. But the crashes now are really often. The problem isnt really the crash itself, but how it crashes. It blocks the whole Windows UI and I can start the Task Manager, but cant control it to shut it down manually. I actually have to hit the reset button.

- Sound direction processing is horrible. It doesnt play the sound direction of where your camera is facing (3rd person head of the model - its turning with the camera), but where the chest of the model is facing. I died countless of times because I trusted too much into the sound and always wondered whats wrong.

- LOTS of hackers, and they get more and more each day. A huge amount of websites offering different hacks for PUBG too, so there obviously is huge interest. 1 hacker in 100 people is sadly pretty common now. And 1 hacker is enough to ruin the game for almost all, if not all other players.

- A lot of teamkillers too, so team modes are very frustrating if you dont have enough people you know to play with.

- FPS are much higher now, but theres still a lot of stuttering and weird flashing screens.

- There are a few keys you cant customize, and for some reason I cant dive anymore in water. However, youre also pretty much invincible if youre in water.

Ran into hackers early on - none recently.
Sound directions is actually a ton better, not experiencing what you are for some reason.
No issues with TK, but I have a group I play with.
Yea, FPS is great now. Last night though huge desync issues, was really frustrating.
They changed water a bit, you can no longer heal in water, you also can't shoot from water. If you are under water you take almost no damage, which makes sense.

There is a really good article on how they did sound. I really like it. The sound actually works the way it should, it bounces off of surfaces. Takes some time to get used to, as it isn't absolute directional like other games. Feels more "real" than other games the way it works.
Nah, sound is bugged. I was only wrong about it being permanent. What I explained is a bug you experience sometimes. I dont think the sound system is good if you cant even sneak silently without boots or if you exactly hear what people do in builds next to yours (opening doors, footsteps, etc).

Doesnt matter if youre underwater, which would make sense, since bullets really dont go far in water, but it also happens if youre on the surface.

4. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 2M May 3, 2017, 01:31 Muscular Beaver

News Comments > The Culling Free Weekend
6. Re: The Culling Free Weekend Apr 27, 2017, 18:59 Muscular Beaver

Its actually a quite good game, or rather, was.
The combat was very good at the beginning, but then they messed it up. Also hardly any players left. At most in the mid hundreds.

News Comments > Starfighter Origins Tomorrow
13. Re: Starfighter Origins Tomorrow Apr 24, 2017, 14:28 Muscular Beaver

jdreyer wrote on Apr 24, 2017, 14:23:
Hold on everybody. There's something very wrong here that should give you pause:

THERE'S NO EARLY ACCESS.

How are we supposed to enjoy pining away for missing features? How are we supposed to bond over complaining about the game never finishing and the devs just taking the money and moving on? They're robbing us of these opportunities!

So you've been warned: stay away from this one.

Play a game like Dead By Daylight and you will learn that not being EA, doesnt mean the game is finished or polished in any way.

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Patch Tomorrow
14. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Patch Tomorrow Apr 19, 2017, 20:59 Muscular Beaver

Quboid wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 18:13:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 16:55:
Frijoles wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 15:24:
MacLeod wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 15:18:
It's much more quick playing and round based than an open world game like you mentioned.

How quick is a round?
3 minutes to ~30 minutes. Depending on how quick you die.

What happens when you die, are you a spectator? This seems like it would suck for anyone who dies early and faces a 30 minute respawn timer. Are you expected to quit and join another server?

It's a shame it's in Early Access. By the time it is released, the player base will be experienced and quite possibly past its peak.

You can always end the game and get into another. Even if youre not dead.
You can spectate in a team game, but are not forced to.

Thats the curse of EA. Also, once its done, there will be so many pro players, that for a new player it will be hell.
So you might aswell play it now.

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Patch Tomorrow
8. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Patch Tomorrow Apr 19, 2017, 16:55 Muscular Beaver

Frijoles wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 15:24:
MacLeod wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 15:18:
It's much more quick playing and round based than an open world game like you mentioned.

How quick is a round?
3 minutes to ~30 minutes. Depending on how quick you die.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 17, 2017, 10:54 Muscular Beaver

Retired wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 10:20:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 08:28:
Retired wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 19:04:
Very happy to see PUBG #1. It is usually 4 or 5 on the daily list of players. It is a really intense game. Such a step above and beyond the other similar games out there. Really looking forward to the optimization patch next week.

One of the coolest things coming to the game is the ability to replay in 2D as well as 3D the previous matches you have played. I hope they give the ability to watch others as well. Be fun to watch the matches of the top 10 people in the game to see their strategy, etc. Watching Twitch players that are in the top10 they aren't terrible awesome at the game compared to what I do, they just hit their first 1-3 shots and down people sooner and from further away. I don't have any kills longer than 300 meters, but I have a number of wins in solo.

The game gives me the excitement that playing in league and competitive BF2 did back in the day.

It badly needs optimization.
Cheaters are everywhere (funnily many more on European servers than on NA servers), massive lag, the stuttering and flashing of the whole screen is extremely irritating, and it still feels very spongy.
Turn everything to low or very low, terrain medium. I get 70+ fps. It lags out and gets choppy for a few moments, not bad unless it happens at the end game with only 10 people left.
I have enough FPS, its just the server lag, this weird stuttering and screen flashing that drives me nuts. mousewheel selection is also very very slow. Not to mention the still crappy sound, where you cant really tell if youre shot at or someone else. They said they fixed it, but it isnt.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 17, 2017, 08:28 Muscular Beaver

Retired wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 19:04:
Very happy to see PUBG #1. It is usually 4 or 5 on the daily list of players. It is a really intense game. Such a step above and beyond the other similar games out there. Really looking forward to the optimization patch next week.

One of the coolest things coming to the game is the ability to replay in 2D as well as 3D the previous matches you have played. I hope they give the ability to watch others as well. Be fun to watch the matches of the top 10 people in the game to see their strategy, etc. Watching Twitch players that are in the top10 they aren't terrible awesome at the game compared to what I do, they just hit their first 1-3 shots and down people sooner and from further away. I don't have any kills longer than 300 meters, but I have a number of wins in solo.

The game gives me the excitement that playing in league and competitive BF2 did back in the day.

It badly needs optimization.
Cheaters are everywhere (funnily many more on European servers than on NA servers), massive lag, the stuttering and flashing of the whole screen is extremely irritating, and it still feels very spongy.

2063 Comments. 104 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo