Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaver

Real Name Beaver   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Muscular Beaver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2002, 23:21
Total Comments 1929 (Pro)
User ID 12928

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation
22. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 06:51 Muscular Beaver

Cutter wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 23:44:
heroin wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 23:12:
I remember those game boxes in the late 80's, early 90's. I think I hardly had brain cells when I used to play King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest - but I specifically remember the game boxes for Gold Rush & Hero's Quest (Quest for Glory) - (and I think the original Monkey Island) having better graphics on the box than what I was able to get out of my Tandy 2000 and being a bit disappointed. Once I started playing though... completely immersed, lol!

I miss game boxes. It was super awesome when they came with something like cloth maps or posters or what not. The excitement of waiting for the release. Driving to the mall and buying it. Driving home and opening it. Going through an actual manual and checking out what else was in there as you were installing the game. Then finally launching it for the first time. And when it was really great like Civ or Ultima or something you totally forgot to eat, only got up for bathroom breaks and snacks, and finally realized you had been playing all night and had to go to work in a few hours.

I still have my original Ultima Online Cloth map here. Wonder what thats worth now.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated]
108. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated] Sep 24, 2016, 20:48 Muscular Beaver

Quboid wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 16:26:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 15:58:
DV wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 10:59:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 10:17:
The hypocrisy in this thread and on this topic in general is sickening, to say the least.

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it in this thread.
Like always, they dont seem to care. Its like theres a huge competition going on whos the biggest hypocrite. The term hypocrite seems to be a compliment to them.

Who is "they"? People are rarely aware of when they are being hypocritical by their own interpretation, never mind yours. I have no idea who you mean.
Thats exactly the problem. If you cant recognize obvious hypocrisy anymore, then nobody can explain it to you, because youre most likely ignoring it on purpose, because youre biased. And Im surely not going to get into this brainless flamewar by trying to. People need to realize it themselves, even friends telling it them will make most people tick out and rather end the friendship, than admit it.

101. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated] Sep 24, 2016, 15:58 Muscular Beaver

DV wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 10:59:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 10:17:
The hypocrisy in this thread and on this topic in general is sickening, to say the least.

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it in this thread.
Like always, they dont seem to care. Its like theres a huge competition going on whos the biggest hypocrite. The term hypocrite seems to be a compliment to them.

70. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated] Sep 24, 2016, 10:17 Muscular Beaver

News Comments > Steam Top 10
41. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 19, 2016, 19:23 Muscular Beaver

Kxmode wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 19:00:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 06:35:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 03:15:
I don't think Valve is being nefarious as much as looking the other way.
"Oh! You cheated! This copy of the game is banned!" *wink-wink, nudge-nudge*

If they really wanted to put a stop to this crap instead of reaping tens of millions of dollars from repeat buyers that get banned multiple times, they could IP ban or MAC address ban people.
MAC addresses can be changed easily, permanent IP addresses not so easily, but its possible, too. Especially since most people have a dynamic one anyway, it could hit the wrong people.

In Section 3, Subsection A of the Steam Subscriber Agreement, Valve makes it abundantly clear that using any method to change an IP is grounds for account termination.

"You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, Valve may terminate your access to your Account."
And that applies here how? How should they know, when you make a new account with that new IP, what your real IP is? But in any case, only few people have a permanent IP address. Its mainly corporations with permanent ones.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 19, 2016, 06:35 Muscular Beaver

jdreyer wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 03:15:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 18, 2016, 18:42:
Squirmer wrote on Sep 18, 2016, 18:12:
I have a wild theory that CS:GO is #1 because it's a fun game that people enjoy playing. Crazy I know.

Do you guys think Valve also fake the user stats that show CS:GO had a peak playerbase today 10 times higher than the next most popular paid game (639,072 vs 64,958)?

Or do you think it might just be a popular game and there's no conspiracy or malpractice behind it?

I don't believe Valve did anything nefarious. More than likely the recent mass VAC bans led to enough people buying the game again to place it on Steam's Top 10 list.

I don't think Valve is being nefarious as much as looking the other way.
"Oh! You cheated! This copy of the game is banned!" *wink-wink, nudge-nudge*

If they really wanted to put a stop to this crap instead of reaping tens of millions of dollars from repeat buyers that get banned multiple times, they could IP ban or MAC address ban people.
MAC addresses can be changed easily, permanent IP addresses not so easily, but its possible, too. Especially since most people have a dynamic one anyway, it could hit the wrong people.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 18, 2016, 19:05 Muscular Beaver

IgWannA wrote on Sep 18, 2016, 18:08:
Been having a blast with Mad Max this weekend - put 10 hours in already. Really surprised by the quality of it, from the weighty driving physics to the tight fighting to the eye popping graphics and world design. Well worth getting it while 75% off.
Not to mention the engine/exhaust sound. Its a real joy to push the gas pedal in that game.
The movie was great and the game, too.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 18, 2016, 19:01 Muscular Beaver

egg_mcmuffin wrote on Sep 18, 2016, 13:36:
I never understood the love for shadow of mordor and im a complete tolkien junky....I played about 6 hours worth and felt like I was playing a rip off of Arkham Knight.

Really dull scenery, the main story arc was pretty meh, sort of wished they had just done the story of the fall of lindon and the creation of the rings. At least there would have been some variation in landscape.

Yep, I quit after a few hours too. Doesnt feel like Middle Earth/Tolkien at all, and you feel trapped on a tiny map.

News Comments > Dean Hall's New Multiplayer Game
21. Re: Dean Hall's New Multiplayer Game Sep 15, 2016, 07:23 Muscular Beaver

Slick wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 06:22:
Wait, did you just call ArmA 3 a twitch shooter?

Are we talking about the same game?
Have you ever turned with an LMG in your hand in ArmA 2 (or reality ;)) and tried the same in ArmA 3?
The whole gameplay turned more into a generic shooter than the tactical simulation it was before.

18. Re: Dean Hall's New Multiplayer Game Sep 14, 2016, 20:20 Muscular Beaver

Slick wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 18:28:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 17:49:
Verno wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 15:10:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 14:50:
My personally most hated developer. He not only messed DayZ up (given, after creating it), but he also messed ArmA 3 up, maybe even the whole future of that franchise.

What did he do to ArmA 3? Or just his general fucking around with Bohemia affected it?
He was in the design team, did the wonky motion capturing (as himself) and other design stuff that made this game not ArmA anymore.

I'm curious, what "other design stuff" did he mess up for the franchise?

As for the animations, they were always clunky, I thought that was a staple of the ArmA series, clunky animations, clunky movement.
He turned it into a twitch shooter for example.

Clunky maybe, but the walking animations of ArmA 2 were far superior to the silly and artificial looking ones in 3. They looked natural. The ones in 3 look just cringeworthy.

16. Re: Dean Hall's New Multiplayer Game Sep 14, 2016, 17:49 Muscular Beaver

Verno wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 15:10:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 14:50:
My personally most hated developer. He not only messed DayZ up (given, after creating it), but he also messed ArmA 3 up, maybe even the whole future of that franchise.

What did he do to ArmA 3? Or just his general fucking around with Bohemia affected it?
He was in the design team, did the wonky motion capturing (as himself) and other design stuff that made this game not ArmA anymore.

11. Re: Dean Hall's New Multiplayer Game Sep 14, 2016, 14:50 Muscular Beaver

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Video
20. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Video Sep 12, 2016, 18:51 Muscular Beaver

I pretty much only played it because of the stupid jokes. I heard the first few phrases like "who wants some wang" with that douchey voice and I was hooked. The game didnt disappoint in that aspect till the end. The gameplay itself could have been better, but I liked the sword and I dont think I ever switched weapons more often than in this game, which was kinda fun.  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Video
7. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Video Sep 12, 2016, 11:34 Muscular Beaver

Pretty underwhelming.
What really bothers me is the "clusterfucking" of sounds. In a fight you just hear so many equally loud sounds mixed together, which just hurts your ears and makes the weapons seem weak, since they dont have a distinct and powerful sound. They did the same shit in Doom too. Dont let this be a new thing...

News Comments > DOOM Update Plans
23. Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 12, 2016, 05:12 Muscular Beaver

Jerykk wrote on Sep 11, 2016, 23:02:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 10, 2016, 05:23:
Very forgettable game.
Felt like a stereotypical console game with its crappy controls and mechanics. Even the singleplayer was not that great, because of the typical console stuff. Doing the same things over and over again, pinata-mobs, non-interactive surroundings, forced upgrades that shouldnt be there at all in that way, since it felt like you only got what other games give you from the start, and that god damn hand-holding to find your way through the levels, AKA green beacons that show you where you need to go. Oh yeah, and not being able to switch task... really... I know its a Bethesda game that always have issues with that, but seriously, this is 2016...

Crappy controls? DOOM controlled great. It felt like Q3 multiplayer, only in SP. Piniata mobs? Did you play on Easy or something? Enemies have plenty of health and do plenty of damage on the highest difficulty setting. Non-interactive environments? You mean, aside from the plentiful amount of secrets that can only be found by exploring the levels and interacting with them?

I swear, people will bitch about everything these days. DOOM is in no way a stereotypical console game. What other console shooters play like DOOM? It's run 'n gun instead of cover-based, has a ton of verticality and speed, has health and armor pickups instead of health/shield regen, lets you carry every weapon at the same time, rewards weapon switching, has levels with tons of secrets that aren't easy to find, has powerups, etc.

The multiplayer is a waste of time but the SP is great. Are there some concessions for accessibility and broader appeal? Sure. The execution system does make the game easier but it also keeps the pace up so you focus more on killing and less on running away so you can find health pickups. What's sad is that a lot of people act like they want a straight-up remake of the original Doom but if that actually happened, they would just complain that it's more of the same. Remember the RoTT remake? 'nuff said.

Yes, shitty controls. AKA predefined animations that cant be cancelled or manipulated in any way, huge hitboxes of mobs, autoaim for ledges in jumps, predefined jumping spots, even though you can jump high enough to reach others easily, etc.
Yes, pinata mobs. AKA the mobs that break up and give you tons of candy, AKA ammo and health, when you hit them or saw them in half.
Yes, non-interactive environment. AKA stuff that doesnt break or move when you hit it, is just there to be pretty. Couldnt even flush a toilet. There were no physics. Not even explosions worked properly to blow mobs back, prolly because of that stupid pinata stuff, not to mention lack of rocket jump.

I swear some people have no idea what the other guy is talking about, yet feel the urge to spew out BS and just invent accusations just for the heck of it.

And no, I dont want a remake of it. I want a game that uses todays possibilities and is not held back by weak consoles and their shitty controllers. If I want the original I can play the dozens of remakes.
I want something new, improved. But that was just a generic console shooter that people like you think was a PC game because it was a little faster than usual and threw more mobs at you.

Yeah, totally not a console game. At least P2P tell you something? Lack of LAN support? Forced achievements? But its nothing new that people have forgotten how real PC games are, after we mostly get console ports anymore.

Oh and I forgot something: The music. Doom was also very popular because of its music. I remember them saying they would have a new awesome soundtrack that will continue there where the original let off. I really was excited about that, slaughtering mobs while a nice typical Doom soundtrack is playing, gives you goosebumps. But thats not even music you hear most of the time, plus its always the same repeated crap.
Yeah, the "music" reacts very well to things happening in the game, and changes accordingly, but its still just a few tracks. I cant even say what genre it is. Dubstep? Not sure, maybe a few samples. Metal? Maybe a few accords. Its just some made up crap with random sounds.

Oh and maybe you remember me being excited while other people here already said "its going to be crap". I praised and defended it against the trolls actually, because it simply looked very promising.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2016, 05:21.

News Comments > BioShock: The Collection PC Upgrades Detailed
22. Re: BioShock: The Collection PC Upgrades Detailed Sep 10, 2016, 18:48 Muscular Beaver

MajorD wrote on Sep 10, 2016, 14:02:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 10, 2016, 09:53:
MacLeod wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 23:16:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 21:50:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 21:31:
If you don't get the copy i wouldn't sweat it.
From what I've seen the pc remastered rereleased version don't look that different from the original, another reason why it's probably free if you own the game

Any comparison shots remaster vs normal version yet?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bioshock/comments/4qio3c/bioshock_remaster_comparison_screenshots/

Thanks for those, the comments in that thread align with my thoughts.
I did not see where it said if those were console or pc shots. In a few days we will know

To me, it looks like nothing more than a SweetFX/ReShade injector version.

Different textures and higher polygon models are there too.

News Comments > DOOM Update Plans
16. Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 10, 2016, 05:23 Muscular Beaver

Very forgettable game.
Felt like a stereotypical console game with its crappy controls and mechanics. Even the singleplayer was not that great, because of the typical console stuff. Doing the same things over and over again, pinata-mobs, non-interactive surroundings, forced upgrades that shouldnt be there at all in that way, since it felt like you only got what other games give you from the start, and that god damn hand-holding to find your way through the levels, AKA green beacons that show you where you need to go. Oh yeah, and not being able to switch task... really... I know its a Bethesda game that always have issues with that, but seriously, this is 2016...

News Comments > EverQuest Expansion Announced
9. Re: EverQuest Expansion Announced Sep 2, 2016, 20:06 Muscular Beaver

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 2, 2016, 11:25:
another expansion? holy shit...

I've been thinking how much I miss this game recently but I'm sure it won't be what I remember. Vanilla EQ ruled.

Then try Project 1999. Its not vanilla (its at Velious), but its pretty much feels exactly like back in the days. Even the people are as nice.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 28, 2016, 18:17 Muscular Beaver

NMS is actually pretty good... for testing overclocked PCs. Seriously. It will test stability very well. If it crashes, its not stable.
The game itself is laughable though. Its more like a technical demo, because after the 10th planet youve seen them all and did pretty much everything you will ever do.

News Comments > Halo 5: Forge PC Specs
10. Re: Halo 5: Forge PC Specs Aug 27, 2016, 17:28 Muscular Beaver

OS: Windows 10 Anniversary Edition Version 1607 or later
Fuck you MS, seriously. That is the worst update you ever done, so many things broken, so many systems destroyed and needing a fresh installation, that I wont ever install that crap (yes, I actually have a choice, since I have a bug that prevents showing that update). I rather will change back to Windows 7 or 8.1 instead and screw DX12.

Man, I so wish there was an alternative. MS is going completely crazy. Its more than time to turn your back to them.

1929 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo