Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Beaver

Real Name Beaver   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Muscular Beaver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On April 28, 2002
Supporter -
Total Comments 2945 (Senior)
User ID 12928

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2020, 07:06 Muscular Beaver

I really dislike articles that make leaders seem more important than they are.
The main work that saved AMD came from the engineers. And it can be over as quickly again, if they mess up in a new generation.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Killing It

22. Re: DOOM Eternal Killing It Mar 26, 2020, 07:05 Muscular Beaver

Quinn wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 03:18:
Razumen wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 23:51:
Drayth wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 23:26:
Razumen wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 22:41:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 21:36:
Razumen wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 21:33:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 19:24:
BULLSHIT! Physical copy's are down proving that DOOM is a failure. If there counting digital sales they are cheating and lying

Ok boomer.
Check the ol' satire detector there.

Eh, too hard to tell on this site, and there wasn't anything particularly satirical about his post anyways.

Till you realize all his posts are satirical.

Just saying something is satire doesn't make it satire.
I can write all my posts as negations and call them jokes, but they wouldn't be.

It's this "Poe's Law" people like RedEye get excited about everytime Riah-etc posts something. I made the case earlier that that just doesn't work in online communities, because stupidity knows no bounds in this area.

As for Doom Eternal: biggest waste of money for me this year so far. I've literally had more fun playing Niffelheim, which cost me 2 bucks. Doom Eternal makes me think of Jedi Fallen Order somehow -- with that game, too, I expected a cool action game that had me slice through unfortunate stormtroopers, mechanics and creatures but instead I got this every-battle-demands-your-best-effort labor. Oh, and the flamethrower reminds me of those YT videos where someone holds a lighter at their asshole when they fart.
Fuck me I hate Doom Eternal.
Sales figures mean fuck all these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q8hAb230OE

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Killing It

21. Re: DOOM Eternal Killing It Mar 26, 2020, 07:03 Muscular Beaver

Razumen wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 22:41:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 21:36:
Razumen wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 21:33:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 19:24:
BULLSHIT! Physical copy's are down proving that DOOM is a failure. If there counting digital sales they are cheating and lying

Ok boomer.
Check the ol' satire detector there.

Eh, too hard to tell on this site, and there wasn't anything particularly satirical about his post anyways.
Youre right, satire is very hard to tell nowadays, since reality surpassed it 10 fold on a lot of topics.
But not on this.

News Comments > Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal?

30. Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 10:28 Muscular Beaver

Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 00:13:
I was just talking to a friend about how bad the "Prey" remake was. A bad Bioshock clone that had absolutely nothing to do with the original Prey.

Different universe
Different characters
Different theme
Different setting
Different mechanics
Different pacing
Different FUCKING GENRE.

The original Prey was a masterpiece, arguably the last great single-player FPS from the golden age of FPS games. Everything that made it cool, fun, unique and challenging was just swept under the rug like it never happened. It had functional portals before portal, you'd shrink down to the size of an ant, you could alter the axis of gravity, you could turn into a spirit ghost and walk across spirit bridges, you could walk on walls and ceilings, and my god every single weapon had such individuality. The puzzles were all intelligently designed, and used original never before mechanics. The death loop still stands as the most engaging, challenging, and unique I've ever seen. The storyline was genuinely heart-wrenching, and it's conclusion was the best ending to a FPS game I've ever played. It influenced games for the next decade. It was seminal.

Then the new game just ignored all of that heritage.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it would be like if Valve made Half-Life 3, and there was no Gordon Freeman, no alien invasion, and no crowbar. Oh and they decided to switch the game genre, so HL3 is now an open-world survivor-horror RPG.

If anyone here has not played the original Prey, you owe it to yourself. It still stands up. I replay it every few years.
Yep, the original one was a classic. I often think it could have done much more for the FPS genre, if it had been more popular. To me it was as innovative as FEAR, if not more. And at least as much fun.
I played the 2017 one for 90 mins or so and then refunded it. Boring uninspired crap. Control reminded me of it. And I refunded that one as well.

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Preloads

46. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Preloads Mar 23, 2020, 00:50 Muscular Beaver

saltedicecream wrote on Mar 22, 2020, 12:37:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 22, 2020, 04:51:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 22, 2020, 03:03:
My main issue with VR is that you are standing there and you have to teleport around. It removes a lot of the freedom you would have with a traditional game. Seems like it would be a lot of stop-and-go gameplay and it would be easy to overwhelm the player if they had enemies rushing at you. Not to mention the fact that it takes you out of the immersion because you're not actually walking.
Same.
There are 3D treadmills but they have other limitations, like you have to be in a ring, so you cant duck very well, not to mention jump.
Not really interested in VR before that is solved. I cant have a VR-room with padded walls so nothing and nobody gets damaged/hurt.

There are several misconceptions here.

Teleportation is not a requirement of VR and nor is it the dominant form of play anymore. I'm looking at the top 5 pure VR games (in terms of player count) right now--Pavlov VR, Boneworks, Blade & Sorcery, Walking Dead: S&S, and Beat Saber--and only one of them doesn't have smooth locomotion (Beat Saber) and none of them support teleportation. With the exception of a minority, most gamers can get their "VR legs" after some training and leave teleportation behind. It will absolutely be an issue for casual gamers but there's a very large untapped market of more hardcore gamers that will adapt.

The second misconception is that VR treadmills address the simulator sickness problem. Simulator sickness comes from the disconnect between your visual sense of motion and your vestibular sense of motion, but VR treadmills do nothing to solve that. Outside of maybe VR arcades, they are a dead end for many other reasons as well.

Lastly, you're partially correct on the point about space consumption (and I'll add energy intensiveness) being issues for the current VR market. However I don't think this is inherent to VR but rather just an unfortunate design decision by today's developers (much like the teleportation focus of early VR games). With a swiveling chair for minor rotations, snap turn for faster rotations (basically implemented by all VR games), and vertical movement on one of the joysticks (smooth transitioning between prone and standing), you basically have the full capacity of standing play without requiring very much space. The space required is basically what is encompassed by rotating 360 degrees in a chair and reaching your arms out. The unfortunate thing is that only a few games (e.g. Boneworks) support artificial vertical movement but I think this will change over time.

Never said that only teleportation is the problem. Walking with a stick (pun intended) is almost as bad.

Me nor him talked about motion sickness. I dont have issues with it, even though I get it in cars if I look down for too long while being a passenger.

I want to act like in real life, or very close to it, in a VR game. Thats the point.
Sure, its not an issue if youre playing flight sims or racing games, but I actually dont play those anymore because I know how much it sucks to not have a butt-o-meter, AKA not feeling the acceleration/gravity when you turn or your car starts to lose traction in a curve. And I wont put some huge thing in front of my PC that costs thousands of dollars and is only good for specific games.
But normal FPS VR games are possible. I just dont like how they are done so far. Software and hardware-wise.

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Preloads

18. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Preloads Mar 22, 2020, 04:51 Muscular Beaver

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 22, 2020, 03:03:
My main issue with VR is that you are standing there and you have to teleport around. It removes a lot of the freedom you would have with a traditional game. Seems like it would be a lot of stop-and-go gameplay and it would be easy to overwhelm the player if they had enemies rushing at you. Not to mention the fact that it takes you out of the immersion because you're not actually walking.
Same.
There are 3D treadmills but they have other limitations, like you have to be in a ring, so you cant duck very well, not to mention jump.
Not really interested in VR before that is solved. I cant have a VR-room with padded walls so nothing and nobody gets damaged/hurt.

News Comments > DirectX 12 Ultimate Announced

5. Re: DirectX 12 Ultimate Announced Mar 20, 2020, 02:00 Muscular Beaver

KilrathiAce wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 01:57:
I will wait for Ultimate Extreme PRO
They dont have a Gaming Edition?
No wonder it sells so bad.

News Comments > DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today

27. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 20, 2020, 00:00 Muscular Beaver

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 23:00:
Not sure why a rehashed Doom is worth $60. As much as I liked Doom, I certainly won't be buying it at that price.
Yep, DLC-price at most.

26. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 23:58 Muscular Beaver

Drayth wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 18:40:
Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 12:21:
Yeah, not sure why games like this are still being made. I mean, I do respect id software for their contributions over the years, but really, who are they catering towards, 60+ year olds who can't tolerate change?

Beaver's rather particular about his games.He prefers a version of one where throwing a grenade while moving forward is the equivalent of an Olynpian picking up the Olympic torch and running with it for about 12 yards before finally tossing it at a bunch of people already pointing guns at him vs it's follow up that's been refined in nearly every aspect.
Your arrogance doesnt do you well.
I dont see much refinement. You talking about those upgrades? A few different weapons? Your Fortress of Easter Egg Storage? Nah, thats not much. As I said, feels more like maybe a pack of DLCs.
You must mean the jump and run stuff then. That really has been refined. I mean the last one had a touch of it too already, but this is just extremely... "refined".

3. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 12:01 Muscular Beaver

I almost fell asleep watching a stream of it today.
Its just a first person platformer now (for blind people, since all possible ways are marked with different colors). Most of the time youre just looking for secrets for pointless easter eggs. The rest is so brainless and repetitive, it looks like a $0.99 DLC for the last one.
Even the "music" is extremely annoying now.

News Comments > SiN Remaster Plans

5. Re: SiN Remaster Plans Mar 19, 2020, 03:57 Muscular Beaver

bhcompy wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 00:33:
WannaLogAlready wrote on Mar 18, 2020, 23:31:
Iīm an avid FPS player, but I thought SiN was awful and a total letdown when it come out, and every time I tried to replay it.

It was poorly received then, so I donīt get what they think they are going to accomplish now, barring an impossible remake.

There's definitely some other stuff from that era that would be much better to remaster, like anything Lithtech. Shogo, Blood 2, NOLF, etc

Speaking of NOLF, I really wonder why they didnt continue that series. It was very popular and objectively very well made games. Are the rights lost in the nirvana too?

News Comments > SiN Remaster Plans

4. Re: SiN Remaster Plans Mar 19, 2020, 03:55 Muscular Beaver

WannaLogAlready wrote on Mar 18, 2020, 23:31:
Iīm an avid FPS player, but I thought SiN was awful and a total letdown when it come out, and every time I tried to replay it.

It was poorly received then, so I donīt get what they think they are going to accomplish now, barring an impossible remake.

Yeah, I remember playing the demo with a friend back then. It was just another generic shooter.

News Comments > 2020 Steam Game Festival: Spring Edition Tomorrow

2. Re: 2020 Steam Game Festival: Spring Edition Tomorrow Mar 18, 2020, 05:33 Muscular Beaver

WannaLogAlready wrote on Mar 18, 2020, 04:41:
Good for those that enjoy this, but don't gimme no stinking festivals !

Bring instead the Spring Sale that Steam skipped in 2019 and last happened march 30, 2018.

Come on Gabe, the gaming world needs respite, do your part !

Yeah, we need a Spring Corona Sale!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2020, 14:07 Muscular Beaver

Bumpy wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 13:02:
Waiting for the Xbox VR announcement....<crickets?>
Wait for Alyx. If anything is going to kickstart VR, its that game.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2020, 14:06 Muscular Beaver

Is it even true 4K? Or some lower resolution or some form of DLSS?
If you wanted a PC like that, you would need to pay close to $1.5k.

In any case, I love it. Because it means games are going to look better and PC hardware over 8 cores is going to be utilized much better from now on. Not to mention 32 GB RAM will be the new standard now and new graphics cards will need much more power and VRAM as well.
Im looking at you, Nvidia.

News Comments > Steam Top 10

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 15, 2020, 16:46 Muscular Beaver

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 15, 2020, 15:42:
theglaze wrote on Mar 15, 2020, 14:33:
I wonder how many Index headsets they sold...

Some hardware issues I see on reddit for this new batch from production include one lens not displaying an image, the controller thumb sticks with 'drifting' input, and some finicky cables. None of which seem to be occurring beyond normal failure rates.

If they had more to sell I'd have one by now, but I don't.. so I guess they sold less than they could have Who knows what is in 8 weeks, probably a 28days later scenario...
Or 30 days of night. Once their toilet paper runs out from wiping everything they or someone else touches

News Comments > New Call of Duty: Warzone Milestone: 15 Million

7. Re: New Call of Duty: Warzone Milestone: 15 Million Mar 14, 2020, 23:57 Muscular Beaver

Its the first CoD/BF Ive looked at since a long time and thought that it actually looks half decent and kind of fun. And I even thought about playing it. But I didnt, not only because its free and that means its sooner or later getting totally and utterly steamrolled by cheaters. There were already plenty in the streams I watched.
Still more than I could say about the other crap before.

News Comments > Steam and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Set New Concurrent User Records

15. Re: Steam and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Set New Concurrent User Records Mar 14, 2020, 23:50 Muscular Beaver

This always happens in a crisis. Was even 2008 like that. Games were still sold well, home electronics too, especially consoles and TVs.
Its cheap entertainment that keeps you busy.

News Comments > Control's The Foundation Expansion This Month

3. Re: Control's The Foundation Expansion This Month Mar 13, 2020, 15:00 Muscular Beaver

RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 13, 2020, 13:57:
I played this game a bit and the story seems pretty interesting, but the graphics engine is garbage.

I liked the graphics, but the story looked very bad, incl. completely senseless dialogue that made it seem even more weird. Plus the whole game felt like a stereotypical bad console port from around 2005.

News Comments > Ori and the Will of the Wisps Released

8. Re: Ori and the Will of the Wisps Released Mar 13, 2020, 13:19 Muscular Beaver

I dont like jump and run games at all. The last one I really played seriously was Super Mario Land on my Gameboy.
But this game is just fantastic, as is the previous one.
Cant stop playing it.

2945 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >