Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaver

Real Name Beaver   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Muscular Beaver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2002, 23:21
Total Comments 2544 (Senior)
User ID 12928

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > OpFlashpoint Documentary
6. Re: OpFlashpoint Documentary Jan 23, 2019, 02:57 Muscular Beaver

Numinar wrote on Jan 23, 2019, 01:37:
Yep, still brilliant. Those canned co-op missions with mildly randomised patrols were so awesome. Great SP mode as well. Also the helicopters felt weighty in a way that was missing from ARMA until ARMA3 had it's chopper update. Oh an the thing everyone remembers, the star-navigating escape mission for the downed airman story. Good shit.

Like Company of Heroes or Battlefield 1942 though (And maybe to a lesser extent PUBG), it was a "Lets ignore all the conventions and try and do this in a new and interesting way" risky venture that you just don't see anymore but the genre desperately needs. ARMA3 is a good platform but feels weighed down by it's own history and limitations.

ArmA 3 is weighted down by its fantasy stuff and other horrible design decisions that mainly are the fault of Dean Hall, who thankfully is gone now. Not to mention lack of content. ArmA 2 had an expansion shortly after its release and many DLCs shortly after that. It only took 3 years to get full content. But ArmA 3, after 6 years, still hasnt as much content, which actually makes some popular game modes impossible. Like Warfare.

They should do a real successor to OFP also playing in the 80s. Or maybe 90s.
Or at least return to reality and have a proper story.
Nobody cared much about the singleplayer in recent ArmAs.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > OpFlashpoint Documentary
2. Re: OpFlashpoint Documentary Jan 22, 2019, 12:46 Muscular Beaver

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 10:45:
an engrossing simulation that would depict what real battlefields were like

I got shot by enemies I never saw so many times in that game.
That didnt change with ArmA 1 or 2 or 3.
Loved when AI could see through fallen over trees or bushes, while you never knew what hit you.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 21, 2019, 01:39 Muscular Beaver

xXStellarDadXx wrote on Jan 20, 2019, 13:45:
Grand Theft Auto V...why the fuck is this game even on this list? is it from accounts being banned for cheating or something?

Play it for a day and you will know. Its especially bad in Europe with pretty much Russians defining themselves as cheaters and griefers (just like in other games).
If you can believe the comments on Reddit and Steam, you even get banned for just being around those people, them forcing you to pick up duped money, and there are other ways for cheaters to get you banned.

News Comments > Atlas Rollback
4. Re: Atlas Rollback Jan 19, 2019, 01:09 Muscular Beaver

I am more concerned that tanks and planes are actual content in a pirate game...  

News Comments > MS Gaming on Windows 10 Poll
8. Re: MS Gaming on Windows 10 Poll Jan 19, 2019, 01:01 Muscular Beaver

Because programs like Razer Cortex actually work, MS shouldnt be asking those questions.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2019, 00:59 Muscular Beaver

Mythbusters without Jamie?
I guess hes not good with kids.

News Comments > J.J. Abrams/Valve Movie Collaboration is Still a Thing
14. Re: J.J. Abrams/Valve Movie Collaboration is Still a Thing Jan 17, 2019, 08:37 Muscular Beaver

The American Uwe Boll. But in his case he is actually destroying good IPs. They never gave Uwe that chance.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors
24. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 22:45 Muscular Beaver

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 13:56:
TLDR/DW
Get 8 if you need future proofing, 6 if you don't.
It all depends on your upgrade cycle and the games you play.
BS. Even 2016 8 GB were used fully by some games in 1080p. Rise of the Tomb Raider for example.
They havent become less, they have become more. A German magazine tested it already and came to the conclusion that they dont recommend the 2060 because of frame time spikes that cause a lot of stuttering. Better buy a 1070Ti or even 1080.
Nvidia messed up completely with VRAM this generation. I was planning on buying a 2080, but NOT with just 8 GB. Thats pure insanity at those performance levels (and prices) and 1440p+.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors
23. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 22:41 Muscular Beaver

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 11:15:
On the video card end, I can actually buy a 2060 for $350 aka no inflation at all today and looking at the benches from a below posting, this thing is in many cases <10 frames slower than a 2070 that go for $500. Comparing to last gen it's consistently beating the 1070 sometimes by 30 frames (same price) and a TI by 10 ($100+ more), it's killing the 1060.

6b vram vs 8 vram is the question...

Its not a question. It was already tested. In some games you will see massive frametime spikes. So you spend all that money for the newest Nvidia card and G-Sync on your monitor and then you still get stutters because Nvidia was too cheap to AT LEAST implement 8 GB again, but should have implemented 10 GB.

22. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 22:38 Muscular Beaver

I will still buy G-Sync monitors instead, because they almost always have better input lag and MUCH better implemented Overdrive.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2019, 22:48.

News Comments > Can You Actually See Ray Tracing?
21. Re: Can You Actually See Ray Tracing? Jan 15, 2019, 22:35 Muscular Beaver

Barely noticed it either. Even in their videos, that focus on it. Ive seen similar effects in other games before, yet its not something you really look for anyway. Its not worth the performance it eats, when activated. They basically took away VRAM to implement it and make it not too expensive and then its still much more expensive than the last generation. Everyone I know would have rather seen prices like last gen and more VRAM instead of this useless crap.

What they should rather do, and what would actually be visible much more, would be a system that prevents clipping, since programmers obviously cant be bothered to get it right on their own. Everyone hates when a character pulls up his gun and the left arm goes right through the crotch...

News Comments > Vigilantes vs. Fallout 76 Dupers
14. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jan 15, 2019, 07:55 Muscular Beaver

Goodtry wrote on Jan 14, 2019, 21:08:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 14, 2019, 19:48:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2019, 19:47:
Fallout76 is buttered popcorn.

Sounds like UO all over again...let's let the players police the griefers, I'm sure it'll work this time!

I came here to say this. These are actually some of my favorite memories of old-school Ultima Online. It was a real wild west, highlighting all of the good and bad humanity has to offer when there is total anonymity and few rules.

Those were good times for me, actually, but I don't feel like I want to try it again with Fallout 76.
I stopped liking it when they looted my entire house while I was offline.

News Comments > Anthem Gets New Videos; Not Getting Loot Boxes
1. Re: Anthem Gets New Videos; Not Getting Loot Boxes Jan 14, 2019, 10:43 Muscular Beaver

Ill believe it when I see it. Loot boxes in another form, with another name, is still the same crap.  

News Comments > Resident Evil 2 1-Shot Demo
10. Re: Resident Evil 2 1-Shot Demo Jan 12, 2019, 22:25 Muscular Beaver

bigspender wrote on Jan 12, 2019, 19:22:
I finished the demo in 26 minutes. It doesn't increment the timer if you are in a menu so the puzzle solving doesn't need to be rushed.

It's resident evil 2 with nice graphics and no tank controls.

It's not bad at all but it's also fairly played out too. So meh from me. But I'm sure fans will love it. If they modernized RE4 this way and added coop I'd take it.
Never played any of the Resident Evil games, except Biohazard, so I like it.

I also dont understand why people complain about the demo. Its a demo, ffs! Be thankful that you get one in todays times.

News Comments > AMD Radeon VII Graphics Cards Next Month
9. Re: AMD Radeon VII Graphics Cards Next Month Jan 9, 2019, 21:47 Muscular Beaver

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 21:38:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 21:23:
Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 19:47:
Same price as an RTX2080, almost same performance, but no ray tracing, no DLSS... I mean, the 16GB of HBM2 is very interesting, especially for non-gaming purposes, but other than that I fail to see why anyone would buy this over an RTX2080?
Because what, one game is using it?
DLSS looks crap on thin lines anyway. Its just a good way for next gen consoles to be faster without extreme hardware.

I don't particularly think Ray Tracing is going to take off any time soon, but DLSS looks like a decent AA implementation? It's substantially better quality wise than FXAA or TXAA, but with waaaaay less performance impact than MSAA.

In any case, if they're both the same price point, why wouldn't you buy the card with the extra goodies?

Like I said, I think the 16GB VRAM is interesting, but at the same time this looks like a power-hungry and hot card as well, so that's pluses and minuses.

No idea how much AMD is making on these, but if it had been at all possible, I think it would have been smart to price them at 599.
Just like the 2080, the retail price will drop after a few months or even weeks.
As I said. 8 GB on a card like the 2080 is as stupid as putting only 6 GB on a card like the 2060. Be prepared for stuttering and other slowdowns. In fact, many already report stuttering with the RTXs, while the Pascal cards work fine.
RTX is useless, because not only it is not supported much yet, but also because the performance hit is far too huge while only getting minor graphical improvement. A lot like that could already be done pretty well without RT many many years before. Look at cars in GTA Online with chrome paint, for example.

DLSS looks crap on thin lines like cables, fishing lines, mesh, etc. Worse than no AA actually, because too much info is lost due to its downscaling.
And it really doesnt look better than FXAA or TXAA in other cases. It depends on the situation. Sometimes the old "cheap" AAs look better, sometimes DLSS. Most of the time you cant see a difference. Its just faster.

News Comments > AMD Radeon VII Graphics Cards Next Month
7. Re: AMD Radeon VII Graphics Cards Next Month Jan 9, 2019, 21:23 Muscular Beaver

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 19:47:
Same price as an RTX2080, almost same performance, but no ray tracing, no DLSS... I mean, the 16GB of HBM2 is very interesting, especially for non-gaming purposes, but other than that I fail to see why anyone would buy this over an RTX2080?
Because what, one game is using it?
DLSS looks crap on thin lines anyway. Its just a good way for next gen consoles to be faster without extreme hardware.

The 2080 having only 8 GB is a joke. Some games have already filled that under 1080p since 2016. Go 1440p or wait one more year and you will have problems.

AMD is very smart putting their new card at exactly this spot, because the 1080 Ti was at that spot before, but Nvidia noticed how much of a competition it was to the 2080, and axed it.

Of course, Nvidia could just release a 2080 with at least 10 GB and make it $100 cheaper at the same time, and AMD would be fucked.
But do you think they will do that after announcing the newest joke, the 2060?

News Comments > Anthem Specs: Windows 10 Required
9. Re: Anthem Specs: Windows 10 Required Jan 8, 2019, 12:42 Muscular Beaver

ItBurn wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 12:35:
Well if this is Win10 only, I guess I'm not playing it...
And not even DX12... lol

News Comments > Anthem Specs: Windows 10 Required
2. Re: Anthem Specs: Windows 10 Required Jan 8, 2019, 11:21 Muscular Beaver

Im only interested how much they fuck this one up.
And later they will probably blame the customers again and take it as a new excuse to not make new IPs anymore. Good for creativity at least, unless EA buys developers of creative IPs...

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Microtransactions Ending
3. Re: Dirty Bomb Microtransactions Ending Jan 8, 2019, 11:14 Muscular Beaver

It was fun at the start. Kinda a TF2/Overwatch mix.
But it was far too much P2W and a lot of cheaters.

News Comments > Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game
16. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 00:41 Muscular Beaver

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 00:30:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 21:48:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 21:29:
"Alien got you trapped in a room? Need a way out? Deploy a decoy for 65 Escape Points! *

* Escape Points available in the Alienstore: 100 for $4.99"
Too close to the truth to be funny.

You'll notice that I made the price of the decoy such a price that it's impossible to use all the points that you obtain per unit. Just like real life.
Yes, I noticed.

2544 Comments. 128 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo