Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for The Half Elf, CptRanger

Real Name The Half Elf, CptRanger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Half Elf
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 14, 2002, 15:47
Total Comments 11038 (Ninja)
User ID 12670

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Arma 3 Free and Paid DLC Plans
3. Re: Arma 3 Free and Paid DLC Plans Mar 23, 2017, 00:33 The Half Elf

2 questions

1) Did the finally release a full game after it was decided to cut up the game into parts? And would I need to shell out a bunch of money for DLC to really enjoy it

2)How is performance and gameplay compared to Arma 2? Do I need a triple SLI 1070 system and a 300 dollar HOTAS type setup to enjoy it?

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 23, 2017, 00:14 The Half Elf

Underage girl is gang raped, and you guys want to make jokes about it. At least show a little bit of class.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches
69. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay Mar 22, 2017, 00:43 The Half Elf

Rigs wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 19:26:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 18:01:
So far there isn't anyone you can't screw. Still hoping for some human/krogan action

So if I play the male Ryder sibling, can I bang my sister? Wacko (What!? You said there wasn't anyone you can't screw... ) Those emotional-less, dead-inside expressions are like sooo hot!

*ahem* I'll...just sit over here. Alone. So very, very alone.

=-Rigs-=

Ok I know I live in Kentucky.. but what you and YOUR FAMILY does is between you all, not me *slowly backs out of the room*

Eos is the first planet you visit after getting to the Citadel.. er Nexus.

53. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay Mar 21, 2017, 18:01 The Half Elf

So far there isn't anyone you can't screw. Still hoping for some human/krogan action  

40. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 16:15 The Half Elf

And for all those not sick today... Here ya go. Yeah I caved and ordered, and have to say that the polish for the 10 hour trial is pretty abysmal, but the game seems to getting on a role and quite enjoyable after Eos.  

News Comments > Statesman Coming to Master X Master; Beta Next Month
6. Re: Statesman Coming to Master X Master; Beta Next Month Mar 21, 2017, 16:00 The Half Elf

CoX shot itself in the foot with the Danger Room player run missions.Plus they could never balance out the classes which made things like PVP a nightmare unless you hard core grinded for upgrades.

I miss parts of CoX, and sadly Champions Online has been left to die a rotting death next to Star Trek Online and Neverwinter Online.

37. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 15:56 The Half Elf

Kxmode wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 13:58:
Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 13:06:
Sho wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 10:21:
Basically, since this is intended as the start of a new series in the franchise, I expect the negative reaction to force them into dropping a large patch later to fix the animations. I'll hold off for 3-4 months and see what shakes down.

That's SO much work, though. I mean, every single conversation takes an animator like 4-5 hours to get it right. So if they have to do that for (guessing here) 5000+ conversations, there's no way EA is going to sign off on that.

(Before anyone says, yes, they SHOULD have done this to begin with. I agree that the animations are, by and large, pretty freaking awful.)

I think they could do it. According to producer Fabrice Condominas he said animation polishing typically comes "last in the polishing stage":

One piece of feedback you guys got from the trailer and responded to very quickly via Twitter to is the quality of the facial animations and lip-syncing. You've said you're working on it but I wondered how much more you can do there in the engine?

Fabrice Condominas: We are absolutely working on it. As was mentioned in the tweets it's actually something that comes last in the polishing stage. We've been using full facial capture for the first time to record the actor's performance and it's also the first time for BioWare working in Frostbite - I think we're beginning to push that fairly far. We're actively working on it and it's the last thing to be polished before we do a manual pass and really, really tweak all those movements because we first wanted to make sure the dialogue is final and settled.

I think they just ran out of time, but they have every intention of "really, really tweaking all those movements."

Maybe for the studio, but Dragon Age Inq did use the Frostbyte engine.
Animations get better the farther on EOS you get, but dear lord my male Ryder is a fucking man whore. 1st conversations with a few crew mates and Heart icons are coming up as choices. Then again after Iron Bull in Dragon Age Inq, I'm gonna try to romance the male Krogan

18. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 12:46 The Half Elf

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 12:31:
Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 11:20:
Too deep into Zelda to bother with this after a very lackluster experience with it on a buddy's EA Access trial. The much better open world in that game makes the flaws stand out that much more. Good luck to those that decide to buy it, let us know what you think.

id love to play the new Zelda.. but I dont buy systems for only one game anymore.. I used to do that but Id always end up regretting it later

Hence why I am waiting for Wii U to drop in price then I can play all of them

14. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 12:14 The Half Elf

Bopper wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 11:39:
Played about 15 hours so far, 10 on trial, 5 via VPN to unlock early.

The game isn't as good as the original series but still competent. It is very much like DA:I but so far the quests are a bit more compelling as are the environments, then again I was a little let down with DA:I so that is not saying much.

The animations are not as bad as people say, there are only a couple of characters (so far) that are distracting.

The game is pretty buggy but all issues encountered so far are minor/cosmetic but they are quite plentiful. Some examples:

- Ambient dialogue in places where there are no people.
- Random NPC in a drunken state standing in a random place at an outpost (totally out of context)
- Two NPC's stuck in a half second animation of shaking hands in a loop, one of which I can stand inside of.
- NPC dialogue referring to a character I have not met yet.
- Dodgy companion AI at times.
- One quest allowed me to complete a step twice.

One major bug:

- Door did not open in main path quest, forced me to reload.

Annoyances:

- UI is clunky/convoluted. Made for consoles (yep playing on PC9. This is something that should be patched as it is quite easy to do.
- Can't equip items right away (not even consumables that you pick up and possibly need) which is quite dumb.
- Limited companion customisation, no equipment for them.

Good stuff:

- Some decent characters/writing (although sometimes the writing is a bit cringe/wtf).
- Nice production design of environments, props, etc. (when they are not buggy).
- Some interesting side quests and progression systems.
- Driving the buggy is quite fun (I actually liked the Mako from ME1 :P)
- Fun combat, it is quite streamlined and missing the RPG-ness of the first ME but cranking up the difficulty helps.
- Exploration can be fun, only seen the first real planet though.
- The scanner is a mixed bag. Sometimes scanning is fun/feels relevant, sometimes it feels like busywork.
- Runs well but I have a high-end pc.

In summary: rough, not as good as ME trilogy, some bright moments to be had, if you are at all unsure wait for patches and a sale. The first 5 hours was quite discouraging but the game gets better.

Going to add to this.

Missing NPC's in cutscene's or several of the same npc at different animation points.
Missing drill drones that get launched down when your in the Mako er Nomad er Batmobile
Can't have a conversation with the Salarian who is having (what sounds like) a really fun conversation with a console and how they are going to be friends.
If you make a custome Ryder the facial animations are actually BETTER then with the default Ken and Barbie Ryder.
Planet scanning while beautiful is annoying as fuck.

Good Stuff:
Amazing sound design. The Nomad powers up (hence why I call it the Batmobile), Weapons and powers/abilitys are heavy and strong and have a pressences so you don't feel like you're firing a angry air powered nail gun at things.
In combat my teammates get into combat hot and hard with their abilities, to the point they are starting to become Kill stealers at the very last moment.
Footprints and Nomad tracks on Eos.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 21, 2017, 00:26 The Half Elf

Two women kissing?!?!? EWWWWWWWWWWWW (unless it's Orange is the New Black and in that case I just go get a drink or clip my toenails or something else).  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
95. Re: On Sale Mar 21, 2017, 00:23 The Half Elf

Kxmode, two things.

1)in your mission to expose this man's racism you were told (I believe) a week ago in the last major ME:A thread that he no longer worked for Bioware, but failed to read that.
2)It's over. Reguardless of how you or I feel about it, what his employer's thought about it (EA/Bioware) is none of our fucking buisness.
3)Let it go. There is only so much arguing on the internet that is actually constructive, and even less so when it's no longer a discussion or an argument, and turns into a pissing match. The longer you engage in it the lower to sink to a level that makes what you want to say less relevant to the point you could be giving away a million dollars and no one would care.
4)Speak your mind. There have been times where I thought I was right and everyone else on here was wrong, until (through discussion on here) I realized that I was being overly sensitive, or blinded by my hatred of something that I never considered others opinions or points of view.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2017, 19:02 The Half Elf

First Day of Spring, and if it keeps downpouring I'm going to have a swimming pool in my basement. In like a Lion out like a Lamb right?  

67. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 16:57 The Half Elf

Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 16:51:
Mass Effect: Racist Space Jesus

I'd buy it!

Wouldn't that be Spaceballs 2, or The History of the World Part 2:Jews in Space?

49. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 15:17 The Half Elf

And as a person who always goes Paragon/Male, it's hard for me to personally go Renegade, but played FemShep/Renegade was sooooooo much damn fun.  

8. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 10:09 The Half Elf

descender wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 09:56:
Well, since there is literally no one here doing that... what are you talking about? People are so bizarrely tribal about shit like this... I just don't get it.

Did you actually read all of those reviews or do you just assume that they all agree with your preconceived notions about the game based on one shit RPS article? They certainly aren't all doom and gloom... I've no dog in this fight, I was never going to buy this game after ME3 no matter what they did... but the demo was far less of a tragic experience than most of the early reviews would have you believe.

It's no worse than ME2 or ME3 in any way I can see... but it's certainly no better either. Don't let the armchair novelists fool you, the writing was never particularly good in this series... it was always quite terrible.

Boils down to the same thing in most reviews.

Character customization is good (build wise).
Worlds are good.
Combat is good.
Story is decent/good at points.
Quite a few sidequests and things to do.
Multiplayer seems to be solid.

Writing is meh.
Facial animations are bad. And when a characters face takes up over 75% of the screen and looks like you just spoke to them in some sort of forgotten unspoken language they just stare at you it's annoying as fuck.
Writing is cringeworthy at times but more meh
Can't customize your team.
Can't change weapons unless you're special locations, EVEN if you just picked up a weapon.
Crafting is horribly over complicated.
Way to many transition scene's that can't be skipped.
Way too many lifeless MMO style fetch quests.
Sounds playing over each other, especially when people are talking and a log is playing etc.

Did I miss anything?

5. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 09:50 The Half Elf

descender wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 09:46:
Have you guys ever seen something you can't turn into "us vs them"?

I'm all for being optimistic (and was still going to pre-order the game today if reviews panned out), but you can't put Mass Effect/Bioware tinsel on a turd and call it the best Christmas Tree Ornament either, especially when it starts to smell.

1. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 09:16 The Half Elf

So.... about the people defending this game?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 20, 2017, 09:15 The Half Elf

Mass Effect Andromeda reviews are coming in. Get your life boats and swimmies on folks, it's a shitstorm!  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 20, 2017, 06:59 The Half Elf

I can elbow someone to death for a armrest, but I'd much rather have 2-3 inches of leg room. It use to be you could request an emergency exit to get that few extra inches of space, but now they charge extra for that seat.  

News Comments > etc.
37. Re: etc. Mar 20, 2017, 06:14 The Half Elf

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 06:08:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 23:24:
Assassin's Creed released Nov 13th 2007 (the 1st one and most of the series in the franchise) has had an AMAZING set of very fluid animations over all sorts of terrain. Riding horses, climbing walls, parkour, moving through crowds, etc. Again BACK IN 2007.

Interesting that you mention Assassin's Creed. Anybody else remember the infamous Jade Raymond comic? (for an added bonus, try to find it using a Google search)

I heard of it but never looked it up. Why? Even though I can act like a 4 year old (typically in a good way), I find that just because I CAN do something evil and stupid and get away with it on the internet because of I will never have to deal with it in real life, doesn't mean that I WILL do it.
I believe in Karma. What I give is what I get and vice versa.

Reviews are coming in.

7.7 on IGN

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2017, 06:33.

11038 Comments. 552 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo