Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for The Half Elf, CptRanger

Real Name The Half Elf, CptRanger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Half Elf
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 14, 2002, 15:47
Total Comments 10468 (Ninja)
User ID 12670

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Catalyst Released
14. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Released Jun 8, 2016, 10:38 The Half Elf

ninemil wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 09:07:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 08:59:
Open world game that has meh combat that can be cheesed by alternating kick (and as the IGN review said the npc's practically throw themselves over walls), a meh narritive, and a city overall that is pretty much empty.

Game is getting 70's (and I honestly think IGN's is pretty spot on), so that is roughly a D rating game.
I question how truthful IGN are being about how far they got into the game, then, because that *definitely* won't work much past the trial/beta content. Either that, or difficulty has been ramped up since the press codes went out.

Edit: to qualify that - at least one mob type has a kick-to-ground attack that automatically lands if you're in melee range once it's stumble frames end. Since you're still in range if you circle-shift, you literally cannot do what IGN are claiming. That mob type is common in story missions from the narrative midpoint onwards, and turns up regularly in open world situations as well.

The AI will also surround you very quickly. From the midpoint onwards, lock-ins are between 6-12 opponents, and open world 4-6, in waves. If you just circle-shift around one guy, the others will massacre you from behind.

Unless there's some difference in AI quality between platforms, I call b*llsh*t.

---

As for everything else, I disagree, and have completed enough of the game to qualify that opinion. If you're agreeing with IGN based purely on the trial, you're making a mistake.

You may disagree with it but all the reviews coming in are stating the same thing. But then again I read their entire review and watched the video review pointing out ME:C's shortcomings.
Walking into a group of 5 AI's and dispatching them with ease by 'cheesing kicks' as they showed in their video doesn't seem like much fun.
But also the reviewer states they loved the first game and was highly disappointing that they game didn't live up to to it's previous outing.

And if the combat hasn't changed since the Beta, then yes you CAN in fact do what IGN has claimed and SHOWN in their video review. But it seems that they couldn't come up with enough decent combat in the game so they just throw more baddies at you. Great a parkor game with a Wave/Horde mode.

You sound like a paid shill for a game that is decent, but falls hard to capture what the original had, by the repetition of combat, annoying npc's, shitty textures on the console. A story that is MEH at best, and a city (that is open) is really blank/bland and uninspiring like the first game.

VG 24/7 Mirrorís Edge Catalyst review: the same mistakes, 7 years later. The most disappointing release of 2016 so far?

Gamespot review: Worse still, some enemies are programmed to automatically counter certain attacks regardless of context, which feels awkwardly unrealistic. Because the enemy AI is bizarrely predictable, I generally just spammed whatever cheap move I found most effective against that specific enemy type. Thankfully, I could often avoid combat altogether

Kotaku review:You know what, Iím not going to get further sidetracked talking about the bad story. The story is bad, okay? Mirrorís Edge had a bad story too, and I like that game a lot.
he story stringing all these missions together is unremarkable but also unobtrusive. It disappointingly squanders the intriguing near-future dystopian premise by focusing on a half-baked corporate conspiracy filled with predictable twists and paper-thin characters, but the dialogue cringe factor is low and the narrative lends a discernible arc to the action. As much as I hated some of the character design and felt let down by the lackluster world building, the story does exactly enough to move the game along without leaving a lasting impression, positive or negative.

And that's just a few websites. Metacritic user reviews don't paint a pretty picture either.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Catalyst Released
12. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Released Jun 8, 2016, 08:59 The Half Elf

ninemil wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 02:57:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 7, 2016, 23:53:
It is more fleshed out. The combat has been expanded, there are more enemy types, you have more parkour moves, the game is open-world and there's way more content overall. In terms of changes, ME:C has more than most sequels.
We unlocked earlier in Asia than the west - I finished the main and side story content a little earlier, and have open world at ~25%.

To be fair, if a reviewer needs anything more than time trials in this genre, they're missing the point and it's probably not the right type of game for them to be reviewing anyway. It's a racer, with a hint of exploration and puzzle solving - not a traditional bang-bang FPS. The rules and expectations aren't the same.

But I do agree with you - it's an infinitely more polished, fuller product, than before. More mass appeal, but absolutely without compromising it's faithfulness to the original. The new characters and revised story are well executed and in-keeping with the previous tone. The combat is slick, (particularly when you stop trying to play it like a stationary boxing simulator, like most of the reviewers I've seen have!) and the parkour is tweaked in all the right places, making it tighter and less glitchy. The final few levels of the main story are breathtaking in terms of visuals - takes me back to seeing the end of HL2 for the first time. The sheer sense of scale is unreal.

I think the main crux of the press disconnect, is their inability to treat combat and running as part of the same beast. They see something to 'kill,' and the core shooter mindset kicks in. In Catalyst, opponents are there to maintain speed, and aide traversal. In the lock-in sections, maintaining momentum is absolutely the best way of clearing the fights cleanly, without relying on over-levelling the health perks, relative to the player's point in the content tree. It's a completely different mindset to core shooter.

Anyway, definitely a case of ignore the press, on this one. Everyone in the media needs games to fit into tidy pigeon holes, and Mirror's Edge continues to refuse to.

Absolutely amazing return to form. Welcome back, girl.

Open world game that has meh combat that can be cheesed by alternating kick (and as the IGN review said the npc's practically throw themselves over walls), a meh narritive, and a city overall that is pretty much empty.

Game is getting 70's (and I honestly think IGN's is pretty spot on), so that is roughly a D rating game.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Teaser Trailer
25. Re: Battlefield 1 Teaser Trailer Jun 7, 2016, 21:01 The Half Elf

theglaze wrote on Jun 7, 2016, 13:45:
FPS war games these days are too clean. Thy don't have grit or a hard edge, instead it's bright colours, pretty lights, and soft animations.

BF1 looks like it might go in the other direction, reintroducing the terror and ugliness of war.

The Battlefield games have ALWAYS had he best atmosphere and sounds. This could be great...

Are you a paid shill?

News Comments > Paragon Essentials Edition Released
7. Re: Paragon Essentials Edition Released Jun 7, 2016, 16:11 The Half Elf

So reinstalled it (via the crappy Epic launcher) took 3 mins to load to the main menu. And after 5 mins of matchmaking on ANYTHING with people Alt-F4'd it.  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Teaser Trailer
11. Re: Battlefield 1 Teaser Trailer Jun 7, 2016, 12:07 The Half Elf

Malachii wrote on Jun 7, 2016, 11:17:
Negativity in comments at Blues has increased over the last few years. Figured its a generational thing. /shrug

I for one cannot wait for this title. I will not however be doing the season pass as I have in the past. Very bitter on those wasted $.

There is something about the progression system in BF games that I totally dig.

You mean the progression system that should have been used in Battlefront?

Sorry after Hardlines and Battlefront (and personally not a huge fan of WW games) there is no way in hell.

News Comments > Paragon Essentials Edition Released
1. Re: Paragon Essentials Edition Released Jun 7, 2016, 12:05 The Half Elf

LOL.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 SF Setting and November Release Revealed?
1. Re: Watch Dogs 2 SF Setting and November Release Revealed? Jun 7, 2016, 10:14 The Half Elf

Cool.  

News Comments > Agents of Mayhem Announced
11. Re: Agents of Mayhem Announced Jun 7, 2016, 00:51 The Half Elf

Unlike Overwatch, Lawbreakers, Paragon, etc etc etc.  

9. Re: Agents of Mayhem Announced Jun 6, 2016, 20:47 The Half Elf

I sorta played a bit of Saints Row 4 (which to me is a huge fucking mod of Saints Row 3), but I really liked the super powers they had. I really wish they would have flat out expanded this to a stand alone game.
Instead that trailer (with 3 playable characters?) just looks meh at best.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Craigslist Jun 6, 2016, 20:46 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 19:15:
What.The.Shit.

There is a better story and history on USA Today that details this fucktard.
Maybe him and Jack Thompson should open a legal consulting firm together.

News Comments > Jay Wilson Leaves Blizzard
3. Re: Jay Wilson Leaves Blizzard Jun 6, 2016, 20:36 The Half Elf

So Jay leaves D3 team and what we get is 'seasons' of grinding out 3 million things over and over for pets, banners, wings and stickers.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Countdown
7. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Countdown Jun 6, 2016, 20:28 The Half Elf

I thought the graphics were good (not E3 good), and enjoyed the gameplay and mechanics in the game, but the story wasn't all that interesting.

But in fairness to Ubisoft, typically their 1st game of a franchise is decent to good, it's the sequel that is much better then the previous one.

What boggles me mind is that Watch Dogs started out as a Driver game, the car handling is pretty good (not GTA good) but not as horrible as Just Case 3 and The Crew. Why couldn't they use the car handling in other games.

Either way I'm excited to see what they have to show.

1. Re: Agents of Mayhem Announced Jun 6, 2016, 13:13 The Half Elf

Rather have seen a Superhero type game from Volition.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 5, 2016, 15:01 The Half Elf

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 14:14:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 13:58:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 13:01:
Dev wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 10:43:
Youtubers in top 10 for second week? heh

Shall we hunt them down and make America grate again?

I don't think grate means what you think it means.

I think it does.

http://i.imgur.com/4diPLkp.jpg

Well played sir

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 5, 2016, 13:58 The Half Elf

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 13:01:
Dev wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 10:43:
Youtubers in top 10 for second week? heh

Shall we hunt them down and make America grate again?

I don't think grate means what you think it means.

News Comments > Battleborn Writer Leaves Gearbox
20. Re: Battleborn Writer Leaves Gearbox Jun 5, 2016, 11:17 The Half Elf

shinchan0s wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 10:59:
D_K_night wrote on Jun 4, 2016, 23:54:
shinchan0s wrote on Jun 4, 2016, 17:46:
Slick wrote on Jun 4, 2016, 16:18:
"gearbox has writers?"

are you fucking kidding me?

this is either a pithy troll attempt, or you legitimately don't know what you're talking about. I'm guessing the latter.

Battleborn is so far the funniest game I've played since Portal 2. Totally unexpected. It's not all AAA-grade comedy, but a big chunk of it is, and the shit that characters say in MP just makes me start crying it's so good. That's probably the most noticeable thing coming from BattleBorn to Overwatch... Overwatch is fucking dry and boring and tries to take itself seriously... I'd much rather hear my character taunt the enemy with "Public school student!" instead of "The reckoning is here". BARF.

Although speaking of funny games, the mini game where you catapult portal-style personality cores in valve's "The Lab" demo for the vive is also really funny, with a cameo from Justin Roiland no less!

I just hope that the writer in this story will have the freedom to keep up this irreverant tone with the new job on offer..

There's no accounting for taste. There are people out there that actually like the Star Wars prequels and Community's 4th season.

I'm with you man. I love Battleborn's humor and the character designs are better than Overwatch IMO. Tracer's accent is beyond irritating. Blizzard just nailed it with the more mainstream appeal.

"Blizzard just nailed it with the more mainstream appeal." That's the funny thing about you guys here on Blues News.

It's as if you guys are just about the indie stuff or cheering on for the little guys. And yet if in a parallel universe where Battleborn and Overwatch has their userbase numbers reversed, there wouldn't be even any mention of Blizzard.

I'm not seeing you guys lob snide comments on how League of Legends continues to completely trounce Heroes of the Storm in playerbase and viewership on Twitch and tourneys.

The funny thing is that gameplaywise and mechanics-wise, the two games couldn't be more different from each other. They aren't even competing in the same space. If anything Overwatch is competing against the Team Fortress and Dirty Bomb franchises. It had no intention whatsoever of going up against Battleborn.

Battleborn just happened to be an innocent bystander-type casualty.

Well, by mainstream appeal I meant the character designs I actually prefer Overwatch gameplay-wise, but Battleborn's universe is more interesting. Blizzard always plays it safe when it comes to their art and for good reason apparently.

Plays it safe?
People were bitching and moaning about WoW's art style in which Blizzard said they were keeping the same look and feel of established Warcraft 3.
Blizzard went back and redid all of the Starcraft art after the 1st showing of the game everyone bitched that it looked like Warcraft 2.
They did a really beautiful almost watercolor/painted type look in Diablo 3.
Battleborn is Borderlands without the cel shading.

Battleborn's Lore in a Min.
Overwatch's Lore in a Min.

Only 1 planet of importance in the universe.... you mean like in Borderlands 1 and 2, Wildstar MMO, and I'm sure a few other games I can't think of off the top of my head.

18. Re: Battleborn Writer Leaves Gearbox Jun 5, 2016, 09:45 The Half Elf

Blue wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 09:37:
Blizzard wouldn't implement a loot system of a billion gun combinations and at the end of the day only a handful of them are actually worth getting.

Sounds like someone didn't play the Auction House version of Diablo III.

Touche Blue.
But at least there was an Auction House to get rid of the crap (but at the end of the day monetizing it turned it into a mess) and was ultimately removed. But what is the saying.. 'One man's trash is another man's treasure'?

16. Re: Battleborn Writer Leaves Gearbox Jun 5, 2016, 09:19 The Half Elf

D_K_night wrote on Jun 4, 2016, 23:54:
shinchan0s wrote on Jun 4, 2016, 17:46:
Slick wrote on Jun 4, 2016, 16:18:
"gearbox has writers?"

are you fucking kidding me?

this is either a pithy troll attempt, or you legitimately don't know what you're talking about. I'm guessing the latter.

Battleborn is so far the funniest game I've played since Portal 2. Totally unexpected. It's not all AAA-grade comedy, but a big chunk of it is, and the shit that characters say in MP just makes me start crying it's so good. That's probably the most noticeable thing coming from BattleBorn to Overwatch... Overwatch is fucking dry and boring and tries to take itself seriously... I'd much rather hear my character taunt the enemy with "Public school student!" instead of "The reckoning is here". BARF.

Although speaking of funny games, the mini game where you catapult portal-style personality cores in valve's "The Lab" demo for the vive is also really funny, with a cameo from Justin Roiland no less!

I just hope that the writer in this story will have the freedom to keep up this irreverant tone with the new job on offer..

There's no accounting for taste. There are people out there that actually like the Star Wars prequels and Community's 4th season.

I'm with you man. I love Battleborn's humor and the character designs are better than Overwatch IMO. Tracer's accent is beyond irritating. Blizzard just nailed it with the more mainstream appeal.

"Blizzard just nailed it with the more mainstream appeal." That's the funny thing about you guys here on Blues News.

It's as if you guys are just about the indie stuff or cheering on for the little guys. And yet if in a parallel universe where Battleborn and Overwatch has their userbase numbers reversed, there wouldn't be even any mention of Blizzard.

I'm not seeing you guys lob snide comments on how League of Legends continues to completely trounce Heroes of the Storm in playerbase and viewership on Twitch and tourneys.

The funny thing is that gameplaywise and mechanics-wise, the two games couldn't be more different from each other. They aren't even competing in the same space. If anything Overwatch is competing against the Team Fortress and Dirty Bomb franchises. It had no intention whatsoever of going up against Battleborn.

Battleborn just happened to be an innocent bystander-type casualty.

Well here is the difference between Blizzard and Gearbox.
Blizzard doesn't show some amazing video of a game and pull a bait and switch like Gearbox did with Aliens CM. Gearbox doesn't have the level of polish that Blizzard has. Blizzard wouldn't implement a loot system of a billion gun combinations and at the end of the day only a handful of them are actually worth getting.

Now if you want to compare LoL vs Hots lets do that. I have never been a MOBA player, I tried LoL a few times and I think the entry level for it is similar to EVE Online. If you stick with it and really understand all the characters and gear and builds you can have a great time with it. On the other hand HotS has a very easy entry level. I just have to worry about skills, I already know the characters from the rest of the Blizzard games and have a pretty good idea what to expect. And view numbers, um DUH. LoL has a much bigger playerbase and viewership because it's the Coca-Cola of the MOBA universe and HotS is the Pepsi. Both are great, but Coke was around longer, is much more established and overall is much bigger. HotS is newer, has pretty much the same taste but is the new kid on the block. No one is saying it's bad, just a different taste for a different generation.

And Gearbox isn't 'the little guys'. As I stated before they fucked over previous dedicated gamers with Aliens CM, they had great co-op and writing with Borderlands 1 and 2 even though they tried to milk 1 more game out with the Pre-Sequel (and was so bored with it that I never finished it), and from the Battleborn beta (while the writing was funny as hell) the gameplay was boring, uninspired and felt meh.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 4, 2016, 23:00 The Half Elf

Goes back to an excellent Star Trek TNG episode where Data is on trial to determine if he is sentient or not.
If a machine is sentient, and we build 1000 or 100,000's of them, then are they a race, and if we own them is it slavery?

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 4, 2016, 20:50 The Half Elf

So turns out the guy who was banned, also has a wonderful history of attacking other players and was even arrested in 2013 in Orlando after attacking another player and his ex-girlfriend at a tourney. Not to mention he was also arrested on jury tampering charges.  

10468 Comments. 524 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo