Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for The Half Elf, CptRanger

Real Name The Half Elf, CptRanger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Half Elf
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 14, 2002, 15:47
Total Comments 10703 (Ninja)
User ID 12670

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New WoW Game Director
25. Re: New WoW Game Director Oct 14, 2016, 19:31 The Half Elf

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 12:47:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 11:27:
But look at Blizzard. If their name is on it then it has to have a certain level of polish, and if they are going to do a legacy server it can't be a half-assed attempt (no offense) like player run servers.

Blizzard's policy of polish is correct, however, keep in mind the Nost team accomplished amazing things without access to the source code. First and foremost, they figured out how to allowed thousands of concurrent players on a single server designed for 2,500. I was on the ISVV team responsible for testing the validity of incoming bugs for the devs. From my experience, Nost devs had recreated complete quests based on Youtube videos and archival WOW Wikia and ThottBot pages. We had several meetings to QA class bugs. In one meeting we had to figure out the correct length of time for a particular Shaman buff against another player. All of this done without knowing what the original game had. That's a problem Blizzard doesn't have. So it's not a lack of content, it's a lack of desire.

Also the question still remains.... if they do even ONE legacy server will people re-sub to play WoW, and will the income be enough to justify the cost of the server. This is a huge unknown. Yes Nostalrius have quite a few players, but they were playing for free.

Nostalrius had way more than "a few players." The numbers do not lie.

+ 800,000 registered accounts.
+ 150,000 active accounts (logged on within the last 14 days).
+ 13,000 concurrent players (average at peak)
+ 30 volunteers (Admin, PR, Devs, GMs, ISVV [me! :)])

These are the hard numbers for Nostalrius only. As a collective whole, the legacy community is vast. The cost to run legacy servers is a non-issue by way of a monthly sub, an add-on perk ($5 to access legacy), or purchasing a special collector's edition vanilla WOW package ("comes with a cloth map!"); or all of these. The Admin stated all of Nost's servers including the ISVV and Dev machines cost around $1,000 to operate per month (Blizz likely makes that every 2-3 minutes). The overwhelming support is for vanilla WOW; the version of the game no longer available in retail.

Now if you want to look at what your paraphrasing from Ion.... how many MILLIONS of subscribers vs 250k players.

250k+ is only the number of people who signed the petition. There are way more than that who would resub to play legacy and specifically vanilla. Mark Kern said Blizzard could easily add another 1-2 million subs to their existing subscriber base; and likely more. Again, as a whole, the legacy community is massive. Nostalrius was merely the largest segment of it.

I think Spock said it best "The needs of the many..." especially when it comes to buisness. The latest expansion is pretty damn awesome, but at the same time feels very 'Burning Crusade'.

The only cost would be the polish you mentioned above. Incorporating it in Battle.net, er Blizzard Tech. Running it on current hardware is another cost. After that, it could operate on an economy budget with a small handful of people to maintain it. Product purchases and subscriptions could offset a lot of the upfront costs. Remember, people resubscribing to WOW specifically to play vanilla is money Blizzard does not have now.

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 11:33:
Legacy Server is nothing more than throwing a bone to loud-mouths that continually live in the world "It was better when...". Some actually would prefer it and many will realize "oh I guess I look back at it better than it actually is". There isn't Blizzard type monetary returns doing it.

Point one. It is not so much about "throwing a bone to loud-mouths" as it is about preserving the legacy of video games, specifically MMOs. No other game has had as significant an impact on gaming and MMOs in general as WOW, and other than the name, vanilla WOW is not even remotely like retail. An estimated over 100 million people have played WOW in its lifespan, many of which have never had a chance to see what vanilla was like at its peak. Events like the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj and the original Naxxramas just do not exist. This is part of gaming history that should be preserved.

Point two. Many people prefer the original game over Retail, much like some people prefer vanilla ice cream over Rocky Road. Sometimes Rocky Road lovers will have a bowl of vanilla. The point and Mark mentioned this, is that vanilla players would play Retail, and visa verse (especially when the current expansion's content drought hit). The idea is for Blizzard to add more content and what better way than vanilla. All things considered, the ROI is worth it.

Thanks for the conversation!

First off I said "Quite a few" not "a few". 140k players in the last week, vs 13k players a day at peak, means I highballed the fuck out of it.
And all the large publishers LOVE to spout out how many people registered their game (especially with free to play games) but 800k, vs 140k the last week vs 13k active (is that daily or weekly?), doesn't mean SHIT.

Please justify for me a game that has over 6 million active subscribers vs a legacy/vanilla server with 13,000. The cost, the man power, the seperate code, etc that would justify this. From a buisness standpoint it wouldn't in any way shape or form.

My post wasn't an attack or a snub at it, just an open minded look at what I would be looking at if I was personally involved.

I'd love City of Heroes to come back, another Bridge Commander game, The Division before they added that fucktarded 'cut the rope' bullshit in the Dark zone but it's not going to happen.

And yeah people may want vanilla vs rocky road ice cream, but the thing is ice cream in many different flavors is readily availible at your local store by several different companies. We simply have NO IDEA about what manpower/money/time it would take to have a legacy server, but please quit acting like it's just a simple switch to turn on/off to make it happen.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2016, 11:42 The Half Elf

Is Norm starting to "fade away". His appearance feels very prepaired almost in the way that Betty White makes apperances these days.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

News Comments > New WoW Game Director
5. Re: New WoW Game Director Oct 14, 2016, 11:27 The Half Elf

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 11:03:
After the fury storm from the Nostalrius community and the greater legacy revival effort in general, Ion Hazzikostas has repeatedly stated (and I paraphrasing) his desire to focus on the current game and not to do anything with Legacy content. I am pretty sure legacy servers is now DOA despite the significant demand for it. However, if at BlizzCon, they announce it I would be surprised. I will not hold my breath.

But look at Blizzard. If their name is on it then it has to have a certain level of polish, and if they are going to do a legacy server it can't be a half-assed attempt (no offense) like player run servers.
Also the question still remains.... if they do even ONE legacy server will people re-sub to play WoW, and will the income be enough to justify the cost of the server. This is a huge unknown. Yes Nostalrius have quite a few players, but they were playing for free.

Now if you want to look at what your paraphrasing from Ion.... how many MILLIONS of subscribers vs 250k players. I think Spock said it best "The needs of the many..." especially when it comes to buisness. The latest expansion is pretty damn awesome, but at the same time feels very 'Burning Crusade'.

I'd still be happy with a Starcraft FPS MMO in the vein of Planetside.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 13, 2016, 23:55 The Half Elf

Yeah but then we get Will Smith running around talking crazy about the AI out to kill everyone!  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Oct 13, 2016, 23:45 The Half Elf

Cutter, it doesn't matter how big or small you are, if you are running full force straight ahead and even someone 150lbs coming at you from the side connects with ya, you're going to move. And in this case out of bounds >;)  

News Comments > Star Citizen Trailer
9. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 13, 2016, 21:36 The Half Elf

Hanneth wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 21:01:
The planets are first procedurally generated using seed information. Then an artist goes in and can paint on biomes on the macro to normal level. They can also place down objects. These objects could be fully hand crafted landing zones, or just trees, rocks and people.

Chris wants no planets, or moons that are just procedurally generated. He wants at least some artist sculpting, even if it is a barren rock moon.

And players want the fucking space sim promised years ago.

News Comments > Star Citizen Trailer
6. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 13, 2016, 20:40 The Half Elf

When did No Man's Sky get a graphics update?

BTW how the fuck is it procedural with all the scripted events?

Sorry my ass is still sore from Sean Murray.

Also there is quite a bit of graphical issues up until you leave the bridge and climb out on the back platform.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2016, 20:46.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Update
38. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 13, 2016, 19:29 The Half Elf

Rigs wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 12:28:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 10:26:
Rigs,
He's not a Liar? Or what about this?

He's not a liar, he's just running as a presidental nominee right?

El Pit wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 04:26:
Rigs wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 04:03:
I hear a lot that Sean 'lied' to everyone. I really honestly don't think that's the case. [...] hoping if he says the right thing, he'll get out of the death trap, he (admittedly) put himself in.

So in other words, he did not tell the truth but said what everybody wanted to hear. Not telling the truth could also be called... Ah, whatever. Did not buy the game but still got it on my wish list in case they will patch it into something more interesting. One can hope. But should not lie about hopes being actually already reality.

Alright...I should point out that what I said is my personal opinion and you obviously have a right to your own. Because my opinion doesn't square with yours, doesn't make me 'blind to the obvious' or 'stupid' or a 'sheep' or that I like people to whisper sweet nothings in my ear even though I know it'll never happen. I just don't see the situation like you do, or how the majority does. That's life.

Look at ALL the shit Trump has said and done over the last year and yet those that support him, they're reasoning for continuing to support him is basically - 'Nobody's perfect. We need someone to shake up Washington and Trump is it'.

*sigh*

I think that's akin to sticking your head in the sand, hoping you'll get the return you want while ignoring the bad stuff. Kinda like war crimes. Well, yeah, they raped, maimed and slaughtered but hey, can't argue with the results! I don't agree with any of it but that's me. I've met plenty of people that think he's great. I could probably meet plenty of people that think Chris Roberts or Derek Smart is great. Everyone is different and has different opinions. No one thinks my bitching and complaining and cuss-ridden rants about Mojang's snapshots are a reason to get upset. I think it's bullshit that they have no *^$^)_@# ambition and every patch is just bug fixes and bullshit features no one wanted. Yet they're pulling in millions a month. All about perspective.

Anyway, did Sean Murray outright lie and know he was lying AT THE TIME and yet did it anyway? I don't believe that. I think he talked about features he either had at one time in the game or hoped to implement before release. (Note, I can't view those videos that are linked because of my throttled satellite connection, sorry!) For whatever reason (we aren't there, we don't know what problems may have come up during development, since making games isn't exactly easy) these features weren't in the final game. But keep in mind the absolute meltdown when a small two month delay was announced. Now picture what would happen if they came out and said, 'well, having had an outside crew come in and play, they've found the game to be below standards and we've decided to delay six months to retool the game and make sure that all the features we've said would be there, will be". It would be chaos! And then everyone on here would be saying 'I TOLD YOU SO!!!'. And Sony might threaten to pull the plug or ship it out anyway. Whatever. There's a million different scenarios. Point is, what happened, happened. Is Mr Murray solely to blame for it? I don't personally think so. I think he's a part of it, surely. But I don't let Sony off the hook, either. I personally believe they had a LOT to do with the decision to kick NMS out the door. And who's decision was it to NOT have QA or an outside testing period? Obviously one person who got the game early almost totally changed the game before launch! Think if it had gotten more testing before release! But who denied the game that? I think Sony did. Who told reviewers they weren't getting review copies early? Sony. Who wouldn't give refunds until practically being beat over the head for it (and still won't in a lot of cases)? SONY. If you're gonna be pissed off, be pissed at SONY. I think Murray gets to be the goat in all this and he knows it, which is why he's being quiet. No matter what he says, he'll be labelled a liar. So what do you do? No matter what you say, no one will listen. You take yourself out of the whole situation. Which he has.

I just hope they can patch in some of what we hoped would be in there.

Does this explain what I said a little better (I hope)?

=-Rigs-=

Rigs I have no problem with what you said but when you type he 'lied' with the quotations it's like he was being sly, or not telling you everything (almost a half-lie). But the 1st clip he talks about how he worked on the Burnout games for years and he states that even though he HATED car games and working on Burnout he would lie to the press and said he loved it.
2nd clip is every fucking press release/interview/tv spot where he flat out shows gameplay foot, and describes shit that is NOT in the game. He was on Stephen Colbert's show and MANY OTHER video interviews talking about features that are not in the game. Example: Multiplayer, Fleets, Sand Planets, Planetary Ecology, etc.
It's not once he says the lie, this continues up until roughly a WEEK before the game launched.

I'm not here to do a "told you so", but he lied, flat out through his teeth. He isn't a 'liar', he is a FUCKING LIAR. Sony may have published the game or pushed but the game to be a ps4 exclusive, but NOONE at Sony was lieing to EVERYONE. It was 1 person alone Sean Murray.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 13, 2016, 12:00 The Half Elf

Will Steam send me a fireproof box to put my computer case in?  

27. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 13, 2016, 10:26 The Half Elf

Rigs wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 04:03:
shiho wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 03:15:
I have no pity for most people who pre-ordered or bought this game.

It was crystal-clear from its inception that it's going to be another Spore. There was no "what if". It was just going to be crappy procedural models inside a bland gameplay loop. The more time passed, the clearer that became, to the point where even a dog should've gotten it already. The vague pie-in-the-sky promises, the fuzzy-wuzzy videos with no real gameplay shown...

But I guess there's a sucker born every minute. I feel no pity for any seasoned gamer who bought it, period. The only people I pity, are the clueless teenagers or their moms ordering this game for them. Those are the innocent casualties of Sean Murray's scumbaggery.

Oh, come now, everyone, even at their best isn't 100%. I'm sure ALL of us have had buyers remorse at some point for something. The way I see it, if the devs don't show off the best parts of the game right away, because it's something they're proud to show everyone, then something is off. Every successful game never went all the way to launch without marketing off it's prized jewels. There are no hidden secrets when it comes to game mechanics. If it's good, they're gonna show it off. Not 'hide it for gamers to discover'. They might not show all of it but they'll at least show it exists.

I hear a lot that Sean 'lied' to everyone. I really honestly don't think that's the case. I don't. Not because I'm a starry-eyed believer. But because I see him stuck between three slowly closing walls during development, hoping if he says the right thing, he'll get out of the death trap, he (admittedly) put himself in. Between the public, Sony and his own dev team. I think he was happy with the result but I think he was also happy it was over. Think back. Two decades, three. A game like NMS would be heralded as a work of art. I'm certainly not saying that it is now, but back then it would have been. It would have been a best-seller, on all the end of year lists and 'Top whatevers'. Maybe he thought it was enough. Maybe he realized that what they had promised wasn't going to happen, he had Sony on his back to put the game out, plus death threats from idiots saying no more delays and he just threw his hands up and said, fuck it. Because, he is still a human being, you know. Even if you get yourself in a bind, you CAN just call 'game over' and walk away. His decision to ship a game without certain aspects that were promised didn't cost lives or anything. You guys need prospective. In the end, it's a game. It didn't turn out as promised, like most things do in real life and we have to live with it. If you go into this with that in mind, you won't feel so...betrayed when it happens. I mean, I'm not perfect. I get pissed...so very pissed off, at Mojang for their lack of focus and ambition. But it's just blowing off steam. They don't care. Sea n Murray doesn't even know who you are or care. He got out of the torture pit he put himself into. And he only had to sell his soul to do it.

=-Rigs-=

(Yes, this is all over the place, I just woke up...apologies. Hopefully you can find my meaning in there somewhere...lol)

Rigs,
He's not a Liar? Or what about this?

He's not a liar, he's just running as a presidental nominee right?

9. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 13, 2016, 00:09 The Half Elf

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 23:34:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 22:54:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 20:36:
Cool, they are patching the game. Now if they could only patch the broken folks who pre-order games.

Absolutely. I was one of those broken people to preorder. I thought I did significant homework, but it all came down to Sean and his word. Well, NMS taught me a vital lesson. Never trust anyone, especially a millennial in a flannel shirt with an "aww shucks" demeanor. As far as warning people from preordering. You did it. Total Biscuit has done it. Unfortunately, there is a long way to go. Check out what happened when someone tried to warn Steam users from the pain of preorder disappointment on Shadow Warrior 2. Vitriol, to say the least.

Usually, I consider you one of the intelligent posters around here but I can't believe you fell for this hype train. Saw this coming from a mile away... any game hyped like crazy is usually a wreck. He was on a fucking talk show about it.

Thing is it wasn't just him, it wasn't just me, it was millions of us. We took Sean at his word. What we were shown NEVER matched up at all to the game, what we were told was flat out a lie (all the way up to launch), the "review copies" were not final (as there was a major 'content patch' added to the game with the Path of the Atlas) and there was quite a bit more to the game.
For many of us No Man's Sky was the second coming of Christ, and we ate it up, hook line and sinker. Chris was on National TELEVISION and lied right through his teeth.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 8 Details
4. Re: Diablo III Season 8 Details Oct 12, 2016, 23:47 The Half Elf

20-30 hours of doing the same fucking repetitive shit I've been doing since the game launched.

NO. MORE.

5. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 12, 2016, 21:14 The Half Elf

Maybe Sean Murray did enter that imaginary bar with Peter Molyneux...  

News Comments > Diablo III Season 8 Details
1. Re: Diablo III Season 8 Details Oct 12, 2016, 20:38 The Half Elf

Now you get to grind out 600 levels of blah blah, but don't worry about the thousands of levels you grinded out the previous season's we know you want more of it!  

News Comments > Beyond Good & Evil for Free
16. Re: Beyond Good & Evil for Free Oct 12, 2016, 19:11 The Half Elf

Acleacius wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 18:41:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 17:22:
I don't see what the problem with UPlay is. It's just another platform like Origin, Steam, and GOG Galaxy. One more way for publishers to have more control over their product. That being said, I don't like that Origin and UPlay because they have zero product reviews and ratings.
You mean besides the fact that ubi has been at the center of almost every major drm scandal for the last 16 years or so. OR the fact they secretly install monitoring programs without user knowledge or consent AND that those said programs REMAIN after you uninstall the game AND that you need a special tool to remove the piece of shit tracking software?

Beside those.....? Can't think of a thing. Giggle

You mean the DRM problems that they resolved 4 years ago last month?
Yeah Googling gave me some answers.
But I am sick and fucking tiredt of you people bitching about free shit. Yeah ya gotta sign up, yeah you can make up a fake profile to register, but at the same time, you have sold your information to far worse people when ya signed up with an internet provider.
Like listening to a lady at work who was in my training classes at Amazon and lasted 4 days because she couldn't quit fucking bitching and moaning about anything. Nothing made her happy.

News Comments > Thumper Released
7. Re: Thumper Released Oct 12, 2016, 18:30 The Half Elf

*hits of acid sold seperatly.  

News Comments > Beyond Good & Evil for Free
9. Re: Beyond Good & Evil for Free Oct 12, 2016, 15:48 The Half Elf

Really it's not fucking free?

Then neither is email, signing up for Bluesnews to post, yadda yadda.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2016, 12:31 The Half Elf

Cutter wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 11:49:
Glow in the dark paths in multiple colours? Jesus, Warsaw is going look like a bad rave at night. That would be really irritating having to look at that constantly. We actually need the dark.

Your taste for salt is not hard-wired from birth. The excessive amount we eat today is a result of what Matthias Berninger, vice president of public affairs for Mars, calls an “arms race” between food producers and restaurant chains. One turns up the salt; customers get used to that; the next producer does the same thing. Over time, the whole population’s palate changes. Today Americans consume two to three times the sodium we need, and one in three Americans suffers from high blood pressure, which can lead to heart disease — which can lead to the grave.

Which is why I quit using salt 20 years ago on anything but fresh food and even that's minimal. One thing I've always noticed is that anyone else who's done this easily picks up just how much salt there is in processed/frozen/restaurant food. Tasting anything really salty actually gives me a coughing fit. I anxiously await the day that the government regulates the shit out of sodium because it's way past due.

If this is what we have to do to get Disc's and Lightcycles, I'm all for it!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2016, 11:12 The Half Elf

Tree Removal... damn look at his forearms and biceps.......

And WTF is with people and hairless cats?

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Trial Preloads & Trailer Blowout
1. Re: Battlefield 1 Trial Preloads & Trailer Blowout Oct 12, 2016, 11:07 The Half Elf

If you already BOUGHT the game.. you get a DEMO early?!?  

10703 Comments. 536 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo