Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for The Half Elf, CptRanger

Real Name The Half Elf, CptRanger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Half Elf
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 14, 2002, 15:47
Total Comments 10321 (Ninja)
User ID 12670

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 in November
29. Re: Watch Dogs 2 in November Jun 9, 2016, 02:45 The Half Elf

Retired wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 22:20:
I should finish the first one.....I quit when I was spending more time on invasions than the game. Have to turn that off.

You start playing again let me know I will be more then happy to invade your game (actually I find it rather enjoyable part of the game)

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic: The GEMINI Deception This Month
3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic: The GEMINI Deception This Month Jun 9, 2016, 02:43 The Half Elf

Ant wrote on Jun 9, 2016, 01:29:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 21:12:
Yet another droid? Are they done milking HK-47 yet?
Shut up, meatbag.

Assertion: Shut up meatbag!

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Breach Mode Revealed
7. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Breach Mode Revealed Jun 9, 2016, 02:42 The Half Elf

Acleacius wrote on Jun 9, 2016, 00:38:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 21:12:
Was really impressive till he got in the shower. You hear his metal feet clunk on the floor as he moves around, camera shows a long shot... he turns around and wipes off the glass with his metal hand like it has skin and makes a skin noise instead of metal across the glass. Maybe I'm nitpicking but it was really solid building atmosphere and then it fucked it up.
Synthetic Skin, i.e. transparent skin which can be injected with any color, will be around long before most, if not all these other enhancements. Doubt they could use real lab grown skin, over metal (actually he's probably got some graphite composite) , for quite awhile.

It's just annoying to hear a metal hand to what a normal hand or hand with some sorta rubbery substitute would do, not to mention it should leave lines from just the contact points. I know it's nitpicking but it's annoying as fuck.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jun 8, 2016, 22:15 The Half Elf

He was all into Champions Online and Star Trek Online and then after the launch of Star Trek Online he simply vanished. But he was one of the founders of City of Heroes/Villains. I had a great deal of respect for him until Star Trek Online and all the bullshit they pulled within the first few months of the games launch.  

News Comments > GOG.com Summer Sale
2. Re: GOG.com Summer Sale Jun 8, 2016, 22:06 The Half Elf

I tried SOMA for about 10 mins.... which is about 5 mins farther then I got in Amnesia.

*will never recover from parents watching Poltergeist on a Projection tv when it first came out on Beta-Max tape*

*runs off and turns on all the lights*

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jun 8, 2016, 21:45 The Half Elf

Now I know of a second way to deactivate a cat!  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic: The GEMINI Deception This Month
1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic: The GEMINI Deception This Month Jun 8, 2016, 21:12 The Half Elf

Yet another droid? Are they done milking HK-47 yet?  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Breach Mode Revealed
2. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Breach Mode Revealed Jun 8, 2016, 21:12 The Half Elf

Was really impressive till he got in the shower. You hear his metal feet clunk on the floor as he moves around, camera shows a long shot... he turns around and wipes off the glass with his metal hand like it has skin and makes a skin noise instead of metal across the glass. Maybe I'm nitpicking but it was really solid building atmosphere and then it fucked it up.  

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Catalyst Released
26. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Released Jun 8, 2016, 20:20 The Half Elf

ninemil wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 15:19:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 14:49:
ninemil wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 13:41:
Beamer wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 12:02:
While I acknowledge that The Half Elf didn't outright call someone a paid shill, I really wish this board was less inclined to go to that.
Calling out an '03 registered account as a shill is... somewhat amusing, to boot.

Lets be rather blunt. EA is well known for Astroturfing
Because astro-turfing was a thing over a decade ago, right? Do you realise how ridiculous you sound?

You clearly have an axe to grind with EA, and are playing the backseat critic to justify it. Take your beef elsewhere - you have zero insight to offer, (given you're just repeating other people soundbites,) and perhaps leave the discussion to people actually engaged with the product and qualified to comment on it?

(And you wonder why I didn't bother with this place for so long. God what happened to the Redwood era pundits?)

I have issue with ANY publisher/developer trying to bend me over and take my money. And with EA they have and will try to do it at every turn.

That being said, I would be STUPID in this day and age to buy a game by a publisher/developer with highly questionable history (in this case EA/Dice after the Simcity, Hardline and Battlefront issues) without looking at other people thought of the game. It's simple math. 100 people reviewed a game. 1/3 hated X 1/3 hated Y and 1/3 hated Z. Look at another 100 reviews, 1/3 loved X 1/3 loved Y 1/3 loved Z.
But when I look at reviews for this game in particular, 9/10ths are hating X another 9/10ths are hating Y and another 9/10ths are hating Z.
So what should I believe? 90 out of 100 people that are ALL saying certain things really suck in this game, or 1 guy who says the game is perfect, amazing, and everything he could hope for, and is telling me to ignore the other 90 people that are saying things about it suck? Not to mention that you have no credibility (yeah you made the account awhile ago that's nothing new) could have been an old account ya forgot about, but you don't post about anything other then this one game after not posting ANYTHING for 12 years?

Paranoid no, you sound like a used car sales man willing to say/do anything to sell this game including saying that you shouldn't trust reviewers who have been reviewing games for decades, or the mass of users who all say the same thing.

And I know that the intelligence of long time posters here on Blue's are able to read between the lines.

What is the old saying "When something sounds too good to be true, it typically is"?

21. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Released Jun 8, 2016, 14:56 The Half Elf

Jerykk wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 12:33:
Game is getting 70's (and I honestly think IGN's is pretty spot on), so that is roughly a D rating game.

Since when is a 70 considered a D? A 70 is a C, meaning average or good if you're into the particular genre. I think that's a pretty apt description of both ME games. If the core mechanic (traversal) isn't enough to hold your interest, you probably won't like the game much. Complaining about the combat is like complaining about the combat in a stealth game. Sure, it could be better but it's not the focus of the game and it's not the reason why you're playing the game.

ME:C doesn't fail to capture what the original game had. It captures it perfectly. Problem is, people apparently don't want that anymore.

I think it was last year we averaged it out that most game scores start at 70 to 80 (metacritic score) So yeah maybe a D score is a bit low, but a 70 on metacritic doesn't even get you bonuses with most publishers.

But the combat IN the game was in fact put front and center and was showcased several times by Dice. Yes you can play it as a run game with no combat, but you can't just take out parts that suck and pretend they don't exist or contribute to the full game.

20. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Released Jun 8, 2016, 14:49 The Half Elf

ninemil wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 13:41:
Beamer wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 12:02:
While I acknowledge that The Half Elf didn't outright call someone a paid shill, I really wish this board was less inclined to go to that.
Calling out an '03 registered account as a shill is... somewhat amusing, to boot.

Lets be rather blunt. EA is well known for Astroturfing (as I belive it's called) And yeah ya may have made the account in 03 ya had a few comments back in 04, and nothing again until 12 years later.

Now lets talk about your 'review' and how the vast majority of the review sites and USERS (by Metacritic) has responded.

You said : The new characters and revised story are well executed and in-keeping with the previous tone.

Everyone else has said the characters are annoying, and the story isn't well executed.

You Said The combat is slick

Everyone else said the combat is a cheese fest, and thankfully can be avoided all together as it's boring and repetitive.

You say ignore the press, several times in your review, and the press is saying exactly the OPPOSITE of what you are saying. AND users are saying the same thing.

As I said it seems you are a paid shill or someone who worked on the game, because of your posting history, and your obviously over zealous review of a MEH game. You keep comparing this to a FPS game and talk about how lack of NPC's is due to hardware. "Again, this is likely a genre expectation thing. Open world and FPS are getting busier, due to increased graphical horsepower. In terms of gameplay, this isn't desirable here, and in terms of setting, in anyway appropriate." Then why does the game have a UBER setting for hardware?

I am taking into account ALL Reviews. Professional reviews (which have in the past been written to over look a game bugs/issues/etc, but also by User reviews. I read the reviews and I look at two things. Pro's and Con's. If enough of these match up then I make my decision about a game. If everyone says the City is fucking amazing then the city should be fucking amazing. If everyone says the characters suck and the combat is crap. It's like polling data except for myself, because there is no fucking way in hell I'm giving EA a single damn cent after the bullshit they pulled with Battlefront, Simcity, The Old Republic, and some Battlefront games. They want my money they have to earn it. So I do my homework (now) and be an informed consumer.

And for an example also check out the 15 second video of Battlefield 1. Maybe I'm the only once seeing it, but I think we all know each other pretty well on this board that we are honest enough to admit a games pro's and con's but tell me that I'm not the only one thinking this?

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2016, 15:02.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 in November
5. Re: Watch Dogs 2 in November Jun 8, 2016, 13:27 The Half Elf

It looks good. Expanded hacking, can play full combat, full stealth or full hacking on missions, city looks good, new toys, and hopefully he's not a guilt ridden sappy guy like Aiden.  

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Cheaters to be Perma-Banned
2. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Cheaters to be Perma-Banned Jun 8, 2016, 11:19 The Half Elf

Entry level into the game is 15 bucks now, so I imagine they did have a influx of players and people who cheat are just buying new accounts like CS:Go or whatnot.  

14. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Released Jun 8, 2016, 10:38 The Half Elf

ninemil wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 09:07:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 08:59:
Open world game that has meh combat that can be cheesed by alternating kick (and as the IGN review said the npc's practically throw themselves over walls), a meh narritive, and a city overall that is pretty much empty.

Game is getting 70's (and I honestly think IGN's is pretty spot on), so that is roughly a D rating game.
I question how truthful IGN are being about how far they got into the game, then, because that *definitely* won't work much past the trial/beta content. Either that, or difficulty has been ramped up since the press codes went out.

Edit: to qualify that - at least one mob type has a kick-to-ground attack that automatically lands if you're in melee range once it's stumble frames end. Since you're still in range if you circle-shift, you literally cannot do what IGN are claiming. That mob type is common in story missions from the narrative midpoint onwards, and turns up regularly in open world situations as well.

The AI will also surround you very quickly. From the midpoint onwards, lock-ins are between 6-12 opponents, and open world 4-6, in waves. If you just circle-shift around one guy, the others will massacre you from behind.

Unless there's some difference in AI quality between platforms, I call b*llsh*t.

---

As for everything else, I disagree, and have completed enough of the game to qualify that opinion. If you're agreeing with IGN based purely on the trial, you're making a mistake.

You may disagree with it but all the reviews coming in are stating the same thing. But then again I read their entire review and watched the video review pointing out ME:C's shortcomings.
Walking into a group of 5 AI's and dispatching them with ease by 'cheesing kicks' as they showed in their video doesn't seem like much fun.
But also the reviewer states they loved the first game and was highly disappointing that they game didn't live up to to it's previous outing.

And if the combat hasn't changed since the Beta, then yes you CAN in fact do what IGN has claimed and SHOWN in their video review. But it seems that they couldn't come up with enough decent combat in the game so they just throw more baddies at you. Great a parkor game with a Wave/Horde mode.

You sound like a paid shill for a game that is decent, but falls hard to capture what the original had, by the repetition of combat, annoying npc's, shitty textures on the console. A story that is MEH at best, and a city (that is open) is really blank/bland and uninspiring like the first game.

VG 24/7 Mirrorís Edge Catalyst review: the same mistakes, 7 years later. The most disappointing release of 2016 so far?

Gamespot review: Worse still, some enemies are programmed to automatically counter certain attacks regardless of context, which feels awkwardly unrealistic. Because the enemy AI is bizarrely predictable, I generally just spammed whatever cheap move I found most effective against that specific enemy type. Thankfully, I could often avoid combat altogether

Kotaku review:You know what, Iím not going to get further sidetracked talking about the bad story. The story is bad, okay? Mirrorís Edge had a bad story too, and I like that game a lot.
he story stringing all these missions together is unremarkable but also unobtrusive. It disappointingly squanders the intriguing near-future dystopian premise by focusing on a half-baked corporate conspiracy filled with predictable twists and paper-thin characters, but the dialogue cringe factor is low and the narrative lends a discernible arc to the action. As much as I hated some of the character design and felt let down by the lackluster world building, the story does exactly enough to move the game along without leaving a lasting impression, positive or negative.

And that's just a few websites. Metacritic user reviews don't paint a pretty picture either.

12. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Released Jun 8, 2016, 08:59 The Half Elf

ninemil wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 02:57:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 7, 2016, 23:53:
It is more fleshed out. The combat has been expanded, there are more enemy types, you have more parkour moves, the game is open-world and there's way more content overall. In terms of changes, ME:C has more than most sequels.
We unlocked earlier in Asia than the west - I finished the main and side story content a little earlier, and have open world at ~25%.

To be fair, if a reviewer needs anything more than time trials in this genre, they're missing the point and it's probably not the right type of game for them to be reviewing anyway. It's a racer, with a hint of exploration and puzzle solving - not a traditional bang-bang FPS. The rules and expectations aren't the same.

But I do agree with you - it's an infinitely more polished, fuller product, than before. More mass appeal, but absolutely without compromising it's faithfulness to the original. The new characters and revised story are well executed and in-keeping with the previous tone. The combat is slick, (particularly when you stop trying to play it like a stationary boxing simulator, like most of the reviewers I've seen have!) and the parkour is tweaked in all the right places, making it tighter and less glitchy. The final few levels of the main story are breathtaking in terms of visuals - takes me back to seeing the end of HL2 for the first time. The sheer sense of scale is unreal.

I think the main crux of the press disconnect, is their inability to treat combat and running as part of the same beast. They see something to 'kill,' and the core shooter mindset kicks in. In Catalyst, opponents are there to maintain speed, and aide traversal. In the lock-in sections, maintaining momentum is absolutely the best way of clearing the fights cleanly, without relying on over-levelling the health perks, relative to the player's point in the content tree. It's a completely different mindset to core shooter.

Anyway, definitely a case of ignore the press, on this one. Everyone in the media needs games to fit into tidy pigeon holes, and Mirror's Edge continues to refuse to.

Absolutely amazing return to form. Welcome back, girl.

Open world game that has meh combat that can be cheesed by alternating kick (and as the IGN review said the npc's practically throw themselves over walls), a meh narritive, and a city overall that is pretty much empty.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Teaser Trailer
25. Re: Battlefield 1 Teaser Trailer Jun 7, 2016, 21:01 The Half Elf

theglaze wrote on Jun 7, 2016, 13:45:
FPS war games these days are too clean. Thy don't have grit or a hard edge, instead it's bright colours, pretty lights, and soft animations.

BF1 looks like it might go in the other direction, reintroducing the terror and ugliness of war.

The Battlefield games have ALWAYS had he best atmosphere and sounds. This could be great...

Are you a paid shill?

News Comments > Paragon Essentials Edition Released
7. Re: Paragon Essentials Edition Released Jun 7, 2016, 16:11 The Half Elf

So reinstalled it (via the crappy Epic launcher) took 3 mins to load to the main menu. And after 5 mins of matchmaking on ANYTHING with people Alt-F4'd it.  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Teaser Trailer
11. Re: Battlefield 1 Teaser Trailer Jun 7, 2016, 12:07 The Half Elf

Malachii wrote on Jun 7, 2016, 11:17:
Negativity in comments at Blues has increased over the last few years. Figured its a generational thing. /shrug

I for one cannot wait for this title. I will not however be doing the season pass as I have in the past. Very bitter on those wasted $.

There is something about the progression system in BF games that I totally dig.

You mean the progression system that should have been used in Battlefront?

Sorry after Hardlines and Battlefront (and personally not a huge fan of WW games) there is no way in hell.

News Comments > Paragon Essentials Edition Released
1. Re: Paragon Essentials Edition Released Jun 7, 2016, 12:05 The Half Elf

LOL.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 SF Setting and November Release Revealed?
1. Re: Watch Dogs 2 SF Setting and November Release Revealed? Jun 7, 2016, 10:14 The Half Elf

Cool.  

10321 Comments. 517 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo