Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Denton

Real Name Mr. Denton   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parias
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 8, 2002, 21:48
Total Comments 560 (Apprentice)
User ID 12630

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.0
19. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 11, 2015, 23:54 Parias

You get into the Crusader map by going to "Universe" in the main menu and choosing Port Olisar. From there you'll start in your room on the station -- go downstairs and hit F on the terminals to choose a ship to spawn. It'll tell you which pad it's at -- then just follow the signs through the airlock to get outside and go to your ship.

Or just follow other players around and steal / stow-away on their ships. You'll need to wait until they get to it and unlock it first before you can get in though.

F12 toggles chat. F9 brings up the holographic Pip-Boy thing that tracks your missions, etc.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 11, 2015, 22:57 Parias

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 22:49:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 22:20:
Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 20:19:
That trailer looks exactly like every other one over the last few years. I don't see any real progress there. And the animations still look horrendous.
They've implemented multi-crew ships, zoning, large-world maps, missions, quantum drive, FPS combat and EVA yet you can't see any progress? As for the trailer, what's important is that everything show you can do in-game now. It's no longer just a flashy PR video, as the trolls claimed before.

The animations are poor but they're temporary. It also doesn't have anti-aliasing, DX12 support or any one of thousands of other features planned... BECAUSE IT'S PRE-ALPHA. They're still reworking the player skeletons and will be building a motion capture room into the new LA studio. If your point is that there's still a lot of work to do then no shit, Sherlock.

Seriously, isn't about time for all you deluded people to stop defending this studio? The game is still garbage and the changes they are trumpeting don't fix the major problems.

.....What major problems, exactly? They've just added tons of content to the game, it's fairly playable (about as playable as Elite: Dangerous was at this stage), and maybe even fun. It has bugs sure, but it'll just get better from here as they develop it.

What's the big deal?

8. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 11, 2015, 21:02 Parias

16 players per-server/instance/whatever for now. That'll go up as the game gets further developed and they improve stability.

It was the same for Elite Dangerous during it's early stages as well IIRC (source)

4. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 11, 2015, 20:29 Parias

Timmeh wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 20:19:
so this pretty much makes Derek Smart look like an uninformed trouble making ass...

or am i wrong..

Pretty much. And the game's actually starting to become fun!

1. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 11, 2015, 19:59 Parias

This is pretty neat. It's entertaining cramming a dozen people into a single ship / clown-car and flinging yourselves off into the cosmos. There's some actual missions to do now too, and the EVA and FPS action is interesting.

Still a ton of bugs, but it's starting to actually look like a game now. Starting to.

News Comments > System Shock Remake Screenshots
3. Re: System Shock Remake Screenshots Nov 26, 2015, 13:40 Parias

I enjoyed the first a lot as well. I thought the way the story was presented was fairly entertaining, and a lot of the traps SHODAN springs later on were pretty surprising too ("Welcome to my death machine, interloper!").

System Shock 2 will always have a special place in my heart from the co-op sessions I played with my LAN group though. If that ever gets updated, I hope the co-op play is kept in.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 23, 2015, 23:19 Parias

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 23, 2015, 23:07:
But this PU 2.0 stuff is the very foundation, the groundwork, the absolute least minimum and they are struggling with it...

The exact same way Elite: Dangerous did in it's infant, alpha stages. Right before it improved dramatically.

News Comments > Space Engineers Free Weekend
4. Re: Space Engineers Free Weekend Nov 20, 2015, 22:32 Parias

harlock wrote on Nov 20, 2015, 12:30:
performance hasnt changed in the past 2 years of development, why would it change later? wouldnt that be the primary goal?

Why focus on performance optimization when the game is still under heavy development? They'd just have to repeat work as they add more features.

It totally makes sense that this is something that would come last.

News Comments > System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible
25. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 15:20 Parias

Wesp5 wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 14:50:
Necrophob wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 11:08:
I don't think I could take a modern SS2. The monkeys...

The same here! I think most people wear pink glasses when remembering SS2. I remember breaking weapons which forced me to play half the game using a wrench, endless respawning enemies out of rooms with no way for them to enter, stupid vendor machines making ammo and a confusing level layout resulting in continuous backtracking that did not look one bit like a spaceship! Not speaking of no live NPCs which was a great letdown after Half-Life and a twist, which they copied over from SS1 and then again copied into Bioshock and Bioshock Infinitive later on.

This wasn't noticable at all in co-op where you could share supplies with a friend to keep your weapons in top shape, and work together to combine skills (having one person specializing in something like repair and hacking, while the other specializes in combat, etc).

Or as mentioned you could also just turn weapon degredation, etc off.

News Comments > System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible
15. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 12:17 Parias

SS2 co-op was so amazing. I still have great memories of seeing how much shit we could pile into the elevator and bring between levels - we always designated one person the "inventory lackey" who was responsible for hauling around all the potted plants, basketballs, and other random shit we found to store in there.  

News Comments > Space Engineers Sales Soar
11. Re: Space Engineers Sales Soar Oct 29, 2015, 14:42 Parias

harlock wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 14:35:
MajorD wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 13:11:
Yeah, it can be a challenge at times,

well thats the whole point, because wandering around solo building massive bases and weapons and shit with nobody else there isnt my kind of game mode... and fuck mp on this

MP can actually be a ton of fun - especially when you build a large ship with multiple stations, where you can divvy up crew members to work on different things (i.e. pilot, manage ship power/resources, control turrets, etc).

Unfortunately the physics code is still royally fucked in multiplayer which is almost a deal-breaker in itself -- trying to build anything even remotely complicated is asking for disaster. They're working on fixing it but haven't hit that point yet.

News Comments > Space Engineers Sales Soar
1. Re: Space Engineers Sales Soar Oct 29, 2015, 11:30 Parias

This game's actually pretty cool - the survival components are coming together nicely and there's actually some good motivation to play now (a huge dynamically generated universe to explore, NPC enemies, etc). The game's also still a bit of a buggy pre-release mess, but it's slowly getting better.

The planets update also sounds really promising assuming they can optimize it well enough. It's looking like it'll provide seamless transitions from space to ground as well.

News Comments > DMCA Changes for Abandoned Games
5. Re: DMCA Changes for Abandoned Games Oct 27, 2015, 17:37 Parias

Awesome! This is thoroughly excellent news.  

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
214. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 8, 2015, 18:25 Parias

Vall Forran wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 17:37:
ShadyPete wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 17:00:
Flatline wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 16:42:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 16:31:
But seriously, did you actually bring up Freespace Open in a topic about Star Citizen? At least Elite: Dangerous is in the same ballpark; Freespace Open looks like it's from the 90s... because it is.

20 years and 100 million dollars later and I still enjoy the combat in Freespace 2 more than Arena Commander.

Wow Volition released the source in 2002? Absolutely loved Freespace and Freespace 2..

Check out Diaspora. It's a Battlestar Gallactica Total Conversion. Uses open source Freespace 2 engine, with graphics that are pretty good. Not E:D, but lightyears above Freespace 2. It's also free....and really fricking hard.

Diaspora is absolutely insane. They nailed the feeling of Battlestar Galactica PERFECTLY, for such an old engine. It looks and plays amazing.

News Comments > Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 Free on Origin
16. Re: Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 Free on Origin Sep 16, 2015, 15:29 Parias

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 16, 2015, 14:37:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 16, 2015, 14:29:
I hope they fix their servers/key issues quickly; C&C Red Alert 2 is arguably the best game in the whole series, if my admittedly worsening memory serves. I will definitely get this on Origin just to avoid having to pull out the CDs for yet another old game.

Oh come on, RA3 is fan-fucking-tastic! Campaign co-op, Tim Curry and JK Simmons as absurd world leaders, and surprisingly versatile units. When it's $5 (any major steam sale), grab it! The online servers were unfortunately killed off but there's plenty of ways to tunnel if you want to play co-op with a friend.

Holy shit, definitely this - co-op is such an insane amount of fun in Red Alert 3, and the missions are both hilarious and glorious. While it departed quite a bit from the classic "Command & Conquer" feel, it's definitely far from being a terrible game IMHO.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 14, 2015, 21:43 Parias

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 14, 2015, 21:21:
What!? Dead Space... the mobile game? Wow how the mighty have fallen. Dead Space 1 was great, and Dead Space 2 is literally one of my favorite games, all time.

Then of course Dead Space 3 was pretty terrible. Oh well, I had been holding out hope for a Resurgence with Dead Space 4.

Aww, I thought Dead Space 3 was pretty good -- maybe they didn't quite nail it as well in the horror aspect, but it's one of the best co-op games I've ever played. Plus, Phil Collins!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 28, 2015, 11:35 Parias

“There are moments when, like I said with Deus Ex, people really pushed me to put a big fight in Chateau DuClare, when you’re leading Nicolette DuClare around and she’s commenting on the rooms of the house,” he said. “And I fought and fought and fought not to do that. And a large percentage of players said, Oh that’s boring. But at least some players said, Wow, this was super pivotal for me; a game had never been like this before.

Oh wow, nostalgia -- the DuClare mansion bit was one of my fondest gaming memories. Exploring this abandoned, highly detailed (for it's time) mansion with so many side areas to explore with their own bits of lore to read (news articles, logs, etc) and extras to pick up, with Nicolette filling you in on her history -- all the while the Icarus AI is taunting you and you know that MJ12 would be closing in at any moment.

Fighting to keep that area combat-free was a smart move. I felt the game did a great job of building the tension on it's own there without having to throw waves of enemies at you.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access
15. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access Aug 12, 2015, 21:58 Parias

Nuhauser wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 21:55:
So what is this anyhow? I'm hoping for a single player mission like I would have gotten in Wing Commander. Is that just pie in the sky optimism?

Nope.

Although the singleplayer stuff isn't out yet and they're keeping it pretty much under their hats until it's ready to minimize spoilers. For now, what's available in the game's "Arena Commander" module does have basic singleplayer / co-op play against waves of bots that you can play through.

News Comments > Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown
23. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 7, 2015, 21:32 Parias

Kosumo wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 21:24:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 21:10:
I'm just going to leave this here...

Retaliator-Living-Front-Module

Retaliator-Living-Rear-Module

Retaliator-Cargo-Rear-Module

Retaliator-Cargo-Front-Module

Retaliator-Dropship-Module

Retaliator-Front-Torpedo-Bay

Retaliator-Rear-Torpedo-Bay

Fucking derek smart is looking more right by the broadcast.

WHAT

THE

FUCK????

That's very crappy pay to win/money grab shit right there .... Thinking CIG is aching for more money.

$25-$75 dollars for modules for internet spaceships that still don't yet have a game.

Totally Crazy - I'm starting to feel offended that Chris Roberts could treat his fan base like this.

Soo, don't spend your real dollars on them then? All that stuff will be available for in-game space dollars once it's done. This is just pledge stuff.

News Comments > Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown
15. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 7, 2015, 20:34 Parias

DangerDog wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 18:59:
This is a prefect example of why games are designed the way they are and remove the tedious actions of forcing you to actually manipulate your game character into vehicles like this. It's cool maybe once or twice but given the realistic designs of the ships you can't even pass another player in a hallway.

They're wasting so much development energy on animating all that realistically as possible when they should just have you walk up to the ship and press a key to get in, select an open position from a menu and take you there, maybe transition to a quick animation of you sitting in your seat and the console activating.

That would cut out so much of the cool gameplay they're planning though. What if someone was hidden away onboard the derelict bomber, who started assassinating the crew while they were trying to repair the ship? What if the other guys in the Constellation had arrived before-hand, and a gun-battle broke out inside of the derelict to see who could take control of it (while the space battle was going on outside)?

Plus, there's something I find insanely cool about being able to run around inside of a ship like this while it's in battle and directly interact with the various sections to keep them online (they're not planning to just keep you stuck at an engineering station the entire time, but in larger ships you'll have to run around and try and fix damaged systems personally, or seal off bulkheads to hold off boarders or whatever).

That's the kind of stuff they're trying to get built up for the persistent universe. I'd rather have all that then the half-assed "hit a button to teleport into the driver's seat" approach other games use.

560 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo