Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Frans

Real Name Frans   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Frans
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On October 30, 1999
Supporter -
Total Comments 420 (Amateur)
User ID 1258

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2020, 16:47  Frans 

Rhialto wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 12:42:
Maybe if you can detect desktop/browser and use appropriate CSS for each?
Switching between table and bullets layout would take more than CSS, and inserting two HTML variants in OotB's (with media switches) would be cumbersome.

Choachy wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 12:20:
Maybe remove the space between each header and it's first bullet?
That would be fairly easy.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

General Discussion > Status of responsive conversion

12. Re: Bug with view tag in links to posts Mar 3, 2020, 03:29  Frans 

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 3, 2020, 01:50:
Is there a particular reason the link to the post number has (example my own post)...
The reason is this, but what you describe is indeed an undesirable side-effect. I'll have to think about how to address this.

Edit: I've reverted the change for the time being.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2020, 05:25.

-- Frans

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2020, 14:34  Frans 

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 1, 2020, 14:14:
Okay, is my early on-set Alzheimer's kicking in again? Or are the forum post numbers being links a new thing?
It is new as of today in the topic views (flat and threaded), but they were always present on userinfo pages that list individual posts belonging to diverse topics. Now, in the topic views, they can be used to quickly switch between flat and threaded views, in anticipation of the functionality of the drop-down list/Change button getting moved into the User settings.

-- Frans

News Comments > Trackmania Returns in May

5. Re: Trackmania Returns in May Feb 29, 2020, 16:44  Frans 

Retired wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 11:44:
Any chance we get a BN server going again? Was fun to race against BN ghost times!
I'm almost entirely out of TM, and certainly out of the server (controller) stuff. So... no.

-- Frans

9. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 27, 2020, 07:41  Frans 

Nimh wrote on Feb 26, 2020, 08:35:
Great work Frans, good update. A couple items maybe for the future.
Thanks.

"Yes, but hide tier" does not seem to work under Site Settings. EDIT:
It works but.. show tier will display as silver, hide tier changes it to bronze.

Hide tier use the generic Patreon color (with a red hue, #E85B46), bronze has a brown hue (#A46628). Silver is #C0C0C0 and gold #D4AF37. Now you should feel enlightened.

Would it be possible to add the "support the site" banner to "keep ads" no display setting? (i.e. hide it)
The Keep Ads setting is related to the future ad-free layout and has not yet been implemented. Once that's done, the entire third column with ads (in desktop layout) will be removed for Supporters, unless Keep Ads is set to yes. Does that answer your question?

Is it also possible to add the thread view setting to one's account? (The threaded, flat newest first, flat oldest first option)
Yes, technically that's possible.
Oh? What...? You want me to... implement it? That's... shocking.

-- Frans

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2020, 14:14  Frans 

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 13:58:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 13:53:
Nah, you could never do it yourself.
Blue just applied a few colors, Green for a game developer, blue for staff.
Really?
Yes, really.

-- Frans

7. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 24, 2020, 13:52  Frans 

Frans wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 17:32:
Besides the layout, one important functional change has already been implemented on the dev server: the post/quote/edit/report forms no longer contain a login section and the bearkey-pw cookie is retired. Instead, users need to be logged into their regular account (via User Settings) with the auto-login cookie. If they aren't, those forms will redirect to the login form, and after logging in the user menu provides a link to return to the topic they intended to post to.

This avoids login confusion and some forum features (like the list of Ignored users) not working when one hasn't checked the "Remember Me" box at posting a comment. All that stuff was inherited when the Chatbear forum code was integrated into the site way back near the start of the century but it never made actual sense to have two different account mechanisms. So that will finally be a thing of the past after the next deployment.
Along with the supporter badges, the above changes have also been deployed. Please let me know if you encounter issues with this (and then describe exactly what kind).

And the User admin menu entry "Modify Message Board Settings" was renamed to "Modify Forums & Site Settings" because of the new supporter options.

-- Frans

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2020, 13:45  Frans 

Beamer wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 13:41:
I feel as if the badges could be bad. A way of saying "I love the site more than you do!" It will shame many into giving, but lots of people have perfectly valid reasons not to, and if the peer pressure gets overt.
Everyone can decide for themselves whether to anonymize their tier level or hide supporter status altogether.

-- Frans

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 15:09  Frans 

Prez wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 15:06:
I'm honestly surprised we've gone this long on an ad-only model.
A major factor in that was my unavailability in previous years (and will remain a factor in years to come). I do have plenty other projects/interests to keep me busy.

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2020, 03:37.

-- Frans

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 14:36  Frans 

Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 12:31:
And wasn't the logo gold back in the day? I also seem to recall you did tee's one time that were blue and gold. I like the blue/gold better. Or maybe even reversed!
No, blue and black shirts, with the blue/white head logo. The T-shirts page still exists, I even converted it to the responsive layout last November.

-- Frans

5. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 13, 2020, 04:42  Frans 

Nimh wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 20:11:
Excellent! Thanks. I always thought that was a topic header and not a link. Works perfectly.
Good point, the absence of the colon (like in "Styles:") was insufficient to distinguish it from a header. I've inverted the underline hover functionality so it's more clear now that it's a link.

-- Frans

3. Re: Status of responsive conversion Feb 12, 2020, 16:10  Frans 

Nimh wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 15:36:
Is the only way to the User Settings page via. Account Options button in a comment section? (Would be nice to log on before viewing comments if possible.)
The User Settings are best logged into upfront indeed, from the Customize section at the end of the left menu column.

-- Frans

1. Status of responsive conversion Feb 11, 2020, 17:32  Frans 

Last November we deployed the responsive layout on about half the site, with the promise that the other half -- all of the forums -- would follow, though not necessarily soon. So I'd like to provide a status update now.

Turns out after the two busy months leading up to the release and two updates, I needed a break (and Kxmode probably too). Then a real-life, outdoors project took up much of my spare time, and here we suddenly are in February.

But we recently commenced the forums conversion, and depending on Kxmode's and my available time, it shouldn't take many months more. Weeks, hopefully, but no promises.

Besides the layout, one important functional change has already been implemented on the dev server: the post/quote/edit/report forms no longer contain a login section and the bearkey-pw cookie is retired. Instead, users need to be logged into their regular account (via User Settings) with the auto-login cookie. If they aren't, those forms will redirect to the login form, and after logging in the user menu provides a link to return to the topic they intended to post to.

This avoids login confusion and some forum features (like the list of Ignored users) not working when one hasn't checked the "Remember Me" box at posting a comment. All that stuff was inherited when the Chatbear forum code was integrated into the site way back near the start of the century but it never made actual sense to have two different account mechanisms. So that will finally be a thing of the past after the next deployment.

-- Frans

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 19:24  Frans 

Happy level-up day, Ant! Cake  

-- Frans

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2020, 08:02  Frans 

Thanks Blue and everyone! Happy  

-- Frans

General Discussion > Responsive layout update #2

4. Re: Responsive layout update #2 Dec 2, 2019, 05:21  Frans 

Ant wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 22:10:
Weird/Odd.
Very. No changes to the forums layout have been made yet since the previous updates.

Btw, it's advisable to space out punctuation after a URL, or the URL becomes 404 Not Found.

-- Frans

General Discussion > Responsive layout update #2

1. Responsive layout update #2 Nov 29, 2019, 07:32  Frans 

The latest update has been deployed, and included in this version 4.02 are:

- Indenting of regular bullet lists, yellow story quotes (with optional bullet lists), and yellow quoted bullets without preceding intro now behaves consistently across all media sizes. Ditto for numbered lists.
- Embedded videos are now responsive in mobile layout, so they don't extend past the right side of the screen anymore.
- Styling of link tables in OotB was tweaked slightly (earlier this month), and applied to all past such link tables, cleaning up width attributes, font settings, and more.
- The masthead menu links (Send News, etc) now always stay yellow. Ditto for the mobile menu from Search News onwards, while in the desktop menu links under Stories of Note and Popular Threads now turn gray when visited.
- The big headers in the desktop menu were switched to font Anton (thanks Rhialto).
- Return links in user settings menus are now outlined buttons.
- Rewrote authentication & authorization in two admin-only scripts.

The first two items have also been applied to all archived stories, via scripts and manual mop-up. If in your travels through the news archives, you encounter any malformatted stories, bullet/numbered lists or videos, please let us know in this topic.

Edit on 2020-01-19: the Privacy Policy link in the footer now always stays yellow too.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2020, 14:58.

-- Frans

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2019, 05:47  Frans 

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 14:20:
As for Frans, he's new here
Considering I've been involved with the site since 1999 as news editor (until 2002), sysadmin and programmer, you have a really strange definition of "new here".

-- Frans

General Discussion > Responsive layout update #1

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2019, 13:21  Frans 

Rhialto wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 12:50:
Frans wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 03:42:
Thanks, but a little more is yet to come there too.
Soon?
Very.

-- Frans

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2019, 11:01  Frans 

PHJF wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 10:51:
So the "ignore user" function hasn't worked in a while. When I go into my settings and click "manage ignored users", the screen flashes and nothing happens. I've cleared cookies and tried in both internet explorer and firefox.

All posts from users I have previously ignored are showing up all the time (like good old waltc)
Did you check the Remember Me box when making this post? That's necessary for the Ignore function, specifically the 'bearkey-pw' cookie.

Part of the next major phase in the redesign project is to rewrite/simplify that, though.

-- Frans

420 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >