Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Frans

Real Name Frans   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Frans
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Oct 30, 1999, 19:41
Total Comments 407 (Amateur)
User ID 1258

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 19:24  Frans 

Happy level-up day, Ant! Cake  

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2020, 08:02  Frans 

Thanks Blue and everyone! Happy  

-- Frans

General Discussion > Responsive layout update #2

4. Re: Responsive layout update #2 Dec 2, 2019, 05:21  Frans 

Ant wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 22:10:
Weird/Odd.
Very. No changes to the forums layout have been made yet since the previous updates.

Btw, it's advisable to space out punctuation after a URL, or the URL becomes 404 Not Found.

-- Frans

General Discussion > Responsive layout update #2

1. Responsive layout update #2 Nov 29, 2019, 07:32  Frans 

The latest update has been deployed, and included in this version 4.02 are:

- Indenting of regular bullet lists, yellow story quotes (with optional bullet lists), and yellow quoted bullets without preceding intro now behaves consistently across all media sizes. Ditto for numbered lists.
- Embedded videos are now responsive in mobile layout, so they don't extend past the right side of the screen anymore.
- Styling of link tables in OotB was tweaked slightly (earlier this month), and applied to all past such link tables, cleaning up width attributes, font settings, and more.
- The masthead menu links (Send News, etc) now always stay yellow. Ditto for the mobile menu from Search News onwards, while in the desktop menu links under Stories of Note and Popular Threads now turn gray when visited.
- The big headers in the desktop menu were switched to font Anton (thanks Rhialto).
- Return links in user settings menus are now outlined buttons.
- Rewrote authentication & authorization in two admin-only scripts.

The first two items have also been applied to all archived stories, via scripts and manual mop-up. If in your travels through the news archives, you encounter any malformatted stories, bullet/numbered lists or videos, please let us know in this topic.

Edit on 2020-01-19: the Privacy Policy link in the footer now always stays yellow too.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2020, 14:58.

-- Frans

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2019, 05:47  Frans 

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 14:20:
As for Frans, he's new here
Considering I've been involved with the site since 1999 as news editor (until 2002), sysadmin and programmer, you have a really strange definition of "new here".

-- Frans

General Discussion > Responsive layout update #1

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2019, 13:21  Frans 

Rhialto wrote on Nov 28, 2019, 12:50:
Frans wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 03:42:
Thanks, but a little more is yet to come there too.
Soon?
Very.

-- Frans

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2019, 11:01  Frans 

PHJF wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 10:51:
So the "ignore user" function hasn't worked in a while. When I go into my settings and click "manage ignored users", the screen flashes and nothing happens. I've cleared cookies and tried in both internet explorer and firefox.

All posts from users I have previously ignored are showing up all the time (like good old waltc)
Did you check the Remember Me box when making this post? That's necessary for the Ignore function, specifically the 'bearkey-pw' cookie.

Part of the next major phase in the redesign project is to rewrite/simplify that, though.

-- Frans

General Discussion > Feedback on responsive layout

65. No subject Nov 15, 2019, 18:14  Frans 

Rhialto wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 13:20:
Anything new in the last few days?
<checks General Discussion forum...> Hmm, not yet.

-- Frans

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2019, 03:42  Frans 

Beamer wrote on Nov 14, 2019, 17:04:
The main page, the one you've been focusing on, looks magnificent now.
Thanks, but a little more is yet to come there too.

-- Frans

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2019, 11:48  Frans 

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 08:06:
Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 15:41:
I'm guessing this is due to something you're working on now, but:
https://imgur.com/a/iGYVWlq
Actually, it turns out to be something easy to fix. I've let Frans know what the fix is via Trello. Should be fixed soon.
That wasn't the fix you were looking for. It would restore the towers on phone screens, which is also undesirable.

The only remaining alternative was to simply disable the tower ads on the post/edit forms.

-- Frans

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 11:36  Frans 

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 11:10:
Hmm, just noticed your OotB posting doesn't indicate it is posted by "Blue". Is that something that changed with the recent updates?
The author of news stories was removed from the headline not long after my departure as news editor, which, come to think of it, wasn't very recent. Rotfl

Since then, I sneakily made a sparse few posts because Blue was AWOL during breaking news, but all other posts were made by him.

-- Frans

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2019, 11:00  Frans 

Uh-oh

Fixed.

Sorry.

-- Frans

103. Re: new design Nov 12, 2019, 03:38  Frans 

subx wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 21:35:
On styles: could the style choice be applied eariler in loading the page? Having set retro black and returning to the site, the blue style remains until the page has finished loading - and because it loads quickly, I get a flash of blue (didn't used to occur).
Yeah, we know and considered it an acceptable compromise. But admittedly, none of us use retro.

In the old layout, one style sheet file defined default colors and another retro, and only one would be loaded. Or sometimes wouldn't be loaded at all, which caused an unstyled site with white background, quite regularly reported by users. Also, maintaining two .css files (or preprocessing with something like Sass) would be more work.

So now the single .css file has a mechanism built in to switch to retro, activated by Javascript based on a cookie. But that takes a little time, hence the blue flash. We don't know of a single .css file solution to avoid this.

-- Frans

5. Re: Responsive layout update #1 Nov 12, 2019, 03:31  Frans 

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 12:23:
If you are working on this can you figure out why the post window isn't centered, aligned, and properly scaled anymore?

The field is smaller than the buttons below it, and everything below is weirdly spaced out (And it doesn't remember when I resize the window either ;(
Because, because, because... the forums have not yet been converted to responsive layout.

-- Frans

1. Responsive layout update #1 Nov 10, 2019, 16:08  Frans 

After the initial deployment of Blue's layout v4.0, we haphazardly added a few quick tweaks based on your feedback (like the maximum width for the left menu column). This first real update took more time to implement and discuss between Blue, Kxmode and myself. The following is included in v4.01:

In desktop layouts (with left menu):

- The font size of the blue story headlines is decreased (from 1.3em to 1.2em, for the technically inclined).
- The font size of story quotes (yellow text) and the links table in Out of the Blue is increased (0.9em to 0.96em).
- The square Amazon ad on the frontpage that went MIA in development hell, has returned to the frontline.

In mobile layouts (with hamburger menu):

- The empty space above the main site logo is reduced by 30px.
- The Amazon banner after the first day of news on the frontpage is now disabled on the smallest (phone) screens, so it doesn't protude beyond the right edge of the screen.
- It turned out to be easier than expected to disable tower ads in the forums on the smallest screens, so now they are. Edit on Nov 13: ...in views/listings, and for all resolutions in post/edit forms.

More tweaks in the next round.

Keep in mind that the effects of the above may vary depending on OS, browser, zoom setting, window width, whether you ate your veggies today, and -- last but not least -- people's perception. We can't please all combinations all the time, but continue to appreciate your constructive feedback. Thanks!

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2019, 12:05.

-- Frans

101. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2019, 17:48  Frans 

Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 15:54:
Blue, Frans, why did the q{ }q tags stop indenting the quote? Only the full {quote} {/quote} works now to indent it.
Because I was waiting
for you
to point that out. Took long enough, too.

-- Frans

56. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 08:08  Frans 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 07:38:
When I hover my mouse over either the "Preview Comment" or "Post Comment" button, the button turns dark blue with black text. If this is intentional, cool, I'll stop reporting it as a bug but the old site did not do that.
Saw the previous report, but have no idea what's causing that. It certainly wasn't an intentional change, and isn't reproducible here. Perhaps Kxmode has an idea?

If you know how to use the dev tools (F12 in Firefox and Chrome), perhaps you can figure out which CSS change(s) on the button occur when hovering?

-- Frans

96. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2019, 03:57  Frans 

Read carefully...  

-- Frans

54. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 03:53  Frans 

Kxmode wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 02:13:
Rhialto wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 13:11:
On PC it's true that the menu on the left can be larger than before depending on resolution but it's not an annoyance to me. What's ugly though is the "Compacti" font used for sections like STORIES OF NOTE, POPULAR THREADS, etc. Should be a quick fix to change that bitmap font for a scalable one.
That was chosen as the closest webfont I could find that looked like the image headlines. Does anyone have another font in mind?
Uhh, see post 24.

-- Frans

41. No subject Nov 7, 2019, 12:34  Frans 

Beamer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 12:05:
Frans wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 10:59:
Saw that, it's not due to the long subject; the table's fixed cell width for the tower ad is causing the empty space on the right, leaving little width for the post on the left. If this is going to be a problem for more people, the only solution for now would be to remove such tower ads (for all window widths, so desktop too).
I totally get why the right space is empty. But if there's a way to have the subject slide underneath the rest of the information, so it can go the full width of the post, it wouldn't be noticeable.
Given the table structure was designed for desktop, a quick hack for mobile seems... non-trivial at least.

-- Frans

407 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >