Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Frans

Real Name Frans   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Frans
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Oct 30, 1999, 19:41
Total Comments 337 (Amateur)
User ID 1258

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

General Discussion > Blues news is pretty horrible on phones...
8. Re: Blues news is pretty horrible on phones... Jul 29, 2018, 03:46  Frans 

Quboid wrote on Jul 27, 2018, 19:09:
JeffD wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 17:18:
So in other words, no one can be bothered with installing newer software. My only guess is you want to preserve the sites previous data, but that is neither a fix or workaround. Also how are security updates for software that is no longer updated?

My understanding is that the content management system is custom, and is maintained by Frans but no significant new features are added. The server software is pretty standard, and is updated regularly.
That understanding is correct. The CMS is called Blammo, btw. I think (hope) I locked down any possible backdoors, SQL injection points, etc. But at any rate, because it is custom, at least script kiddies and other common hack attempts are futile, and have been for 19 years. Our Apache log is testament to this not being for lack of trying.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2018, 07:16.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2018, 04:35  Frans 

whitelined wrote on Jul 25, 2018, 19:09:
Any plans to make website more mobile friendly?
That's a long-standing topic.

-- Frans

General Discussion > Blues news is pretty horrible on phones...
4. Re: Blues news is pretty horrible on phones... Jul 26, 2018, 04:32  Frans 

JeffD wrote on Jul 16, 2018, 22:35:
I am surprised this hasn't been brought up by anyone,
Actually, it was.

-- Frans

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2018, 16:31  Frans 

Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2018, 14:02:
Blue, the comments section in the Conan Exiles blurb isn't coming up.
An unclosed iframe tag ate it.

-- Frans

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Apr 27, 2018, 09:19  Frans 

Well, the OS upgrade did suffer an unexpected hiccup, needing assistance from data center support -- hence the long outage -- but otherwise encountered no major problems on the website/back-end side. So we're back! <phew>  

-- Frans

General Discussion > Account deleting
5. Re: Account deleting Apr 23, 2018, 05:49  Frans 

Rain wrote on Apr 22, 2018, 17:09:
When I try to delete my comment, it says "The email address/password combination you entered does not have the appropriate permission to delete this comment."
After looking through the relevant board.pl code, it turns out only admins (Blue and me) can delete posts. So Blue's Jan 2017 post was unfortunately not accurate.

-- Frans

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2018, 18:00  Frans 

Ant wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 12:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 08:56:
And just to make it known, THANK YOU for keeping this site running on the technical end. You are imo the most awesome person on the planet! Wouldn't know what to do without bluesnews.com every morning!
Ditto. Isn't BN the oldest gaming web site now? I miss FiringSquad, Avault, HappyPuppies, etc.
Thanks, that's very kind.

Yeah, very few gaming (news) sites from the '90s are still active. Many died, some are dormant (Gamer's Hell), some changed a lot (Shacknews). And sites like GameSpot and IGN are still going.

http://www.gamegossip.com/ collects feeds from who's still around, but since I stopped closely following gaming news years ago, I'm probably overlooking things.

-- Frans

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2018, 07:51  Frans 

mag wrote on Mar 25, 2018, 19:13:
I am still getting expired SSL cert warnings when I go to https://bluesnews.com. I have to go to www.bluesnews.com to avoid the warning.
Oh, that's interesting. There's a rewrite rule that always directs users to the canonical hostname www.bluesnews.com, but this indicates the browser first checks the cert before following the redirect. A little unexpected, but logical now that I think about it.

I've added bluesnews.com to the cert.

-- Frans

26. Re: better CSS? Mar 25, 2018, 12:16  Frans 

MxxCon wrote on Mar 25, 2018, 10:22:
Any chance you guys could improve CSS for mobile?
There already is a topic for that, but no further update at this time. Mathematically speaking though, chances are rarely precisely 0.0%.

-- Frans

23. Re: Expired SSL Certificate Mar 25, 2018, 08:56  Frans 

MxxCon wrote on Mar 24, 2018, 21:30:
To prevent future cookups with ssl cert, consider using https://certificatemonitor.org/
That would have been useful with the previous annual Network Solution cert (which Blue originally intended to extend), but now the Certbot weekly cron job serves the same purpose.

-- Frans

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2018, 17:53  Frans 

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 24, 2018, 17:23:
Yeah... well, as someone who spent the better part of 4-5 years working on ordering, updating, and installing certificates... automatic is a relative term...
Okay, but I've been running Certbot on another site for a bit under a year, and the three-monthly renewals went fine. The cron job is in place. So we'll see what happens here in (nearly) three months.

-- Frans

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2018, 17:11  Frans 

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 24, 2018, 16:27:
Well, with the new certificate expiring on June 22nd, you'll soon get another chance to be timely in replacing your certificate...
What part of "auto renewal" is not clear?

-- Frans

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2018, 16:05  Frans 

Ant wrote on Mar 24, 2018, 13:14:
Tsk tsk. Blue, add a reminder to your calendar next time.
The calendar was fine, we discussed this on Feb 22. But after that day, it appears Blue had a blackout and completely dropped the ball on it. I figured it would be a good learning experience for him to not catch that ball before it hit the floor. This time.

The site has now switch to Let's Encrypt certificates with auto renewal, so we should be good to go for a long time.

-- Frans

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2018, 04:24  Frans 

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Dr donkles wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 13:24:
Nice to have an oldschool tech still working on things the entire time.
Blue and you are too optimistic, the only way I can afford to do all this at zero budget is by, uhh, doing not much at all.

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 15:02:
Remember a few years ago how Blues would just randomly go down a couple times a week? The site has been super solid every since then.
Exactly, the current hardware and OS are so stable that my arms rarely need to be uncrossed anymore.

Of course, if a much more significant effort will be needed in the future again, I'm going to have to re-negotiate by which factor to multiply my current budget.

-- Frans

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2017, 13:32  Frans 

Good thing this site isn't a vlog, then. Sick Take care!  

-- Frans

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2017, 11:35  Frans 

Thanks Blue and all.  

-- Frans

51. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2017, 03:01  Frans 

Rigs wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 17:11:
EDIT: Oh! Also, maybe some more time to EDIT a post before it says on the bottom that it's been edited?
I've doubled the window to 10 minutes.

Rigs wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 17:11:
Also maybe an option to disable the extra 'Post has been edited' step after editing a post (duh!). So we hit 'Edit' and it goes right back to the thread with our newly edited post. That would save some time.
Given how the board code handles form submissions, it's not possible (or at easy to see how) to make an exception just there.

-- Frans

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 15:55  Frans 

nin wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 14:42:
Page seems to load a bit quicker,
If that's the case, it may be due to updated Apache, MySQL and/or Perl versions...

nin wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 14:42:
or is that just the power of suggestion?
...or that.

-- Frans

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 10:41  Frans 

Kxmode wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 00:40:
Frans wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 13:57:
Just an OS upgrade, so don't hold your breath.
Windows XP? Awesome!
How'd you guess? I know it was a pretty big leap from DOS 6.1, but it seems to have worked out well enough. I should have done this a decade ago.

As for any new features or other visible changes, that's tricky if not downright hard, because the Blammo CMS and Chatbear-based forum code is so old and crufty. Making the site more mobile-friendly or disabling ads for members is difficult due to the lack of code and HTML separation (Furn and Bagpuss didn't do MVC in the 90's).

And building a new site using modern tech that looks, functions and feels like the current one is of course a huge undertaking. No contemporary CMS can do that out of the box either. So unless an experienced web programmer (which I'm not) steps forward to work on this (more or less) pro bono, or another really clever idea surfaces, I'm afraid little is going to change around here.

-- Frans

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2016, 13:57  Frans 

nin wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 13:46:
One more note for the new year: There will be some scheduled maintenance on the server here tomorrow
Gasp! Anything exciting or new?
Just an OS upgrade, so don't hold your breath.

-- Frans

337 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo