Limit Results:

282 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
May 28, 2021, 19:45
Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2021, 19:45
May 28, 2021, 19:45

Sigwolf wrote on May 28, 2021, 15:32:
The "Darth Vader" house has absolutely nothing Darth Vader or Star Wars about it at all. You see some houses and think, "I wish I had 4.3 million to spend on that house". I see that one and think, "If I had 4.3 million to spend on a house, it sure wouldn't be that one." Very uninspired, sterile, ultra-modern design.

So I actually used to live a couple blocks from that house and remember when it went up. People actually called it the "Darth Vader Helmet" house but it's been shortened over the years just to "Darth Vader house". As I recall, it was built for a wealthy plastic surgeon who drove a DeLorean and you used to see it parked in the driveway. They originally tried planting St. Augustine turf grass up the steep slopes of the house. Problem is, Houston gets torrential rain on a frequent basis (any month of the year) so the turf would just slide off and looked terrible. They kept putting it back up again and again for almost two years. Then they decided to give up and ordered some expensive and rare Italian shale to put up the sides of the house. But that was apparently in short supply and it took almost two years before they got it all installed.

My brother just mentioned to me these tidbits about the eccentric owner: His whole office was ultra modern and painted black. He reportedly once defibrillated himself when his heart went into AFIB after an electrical outlet shocked him when he was alone in his office.

West University *used* to be a sleepy neighborhood (actually an incorporated city that originally was on the western outskirts of Houston but then Houston grew around it and it's almost in the center of Houston). Mostly working-class families and a lot of retired elderly people. That changed in the 1980s when attorneys and doctors and executives began buying up the homes, tearing them down, and building mostly ugly oversized McMansions on the lots. Typical lots are 5,000 sq ft although some are 7,500 and a few are bigger - such as on Buffalo Speedway and parts of University Blvd where this particular home is located.

For many years, West U has had one of the very highest price/sq ft valuations in the Greater Houston area. Typically, 5,000 sq ft lots with original homes sell for $700,000-$1 Million as tear-downs. In the instances where someone wants to live in the home on the lot, typically it will be a 1920s or 1930s bungalow of around 1,500 sq ft (unless it's had the attic converted or an addition added) and will have knob-and-tube wiring. Property taxes will be around $15,000-$20,000 per year. Homeowners insurance will run around $4,000 per year.

There are people in West U who buy second lots for $1MM or more and simply use the lot as an extra yard for their kids or build a garage on it for their automobiles and are comfortable paying $40,000 per year in property taxes for a non-homesteaded lot. Lots of conspicuous consumption in West U.

There's another interesting house down the street from the Darth Vader house that was one of the original "build it just because you can" houses in West U. People called it "Tara" - it's a Southern-style plantation mansion at 6339 Buffalo Speedway Houston TX 77005 and was built by the owners of the long-defunct Cellar Door Restaurants. It was built in the 1980s and has changed hands a few times.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2021, 20:49.

Re: Epic Raises $1B
Apr 14, 2021, 13:05
Re: Epic Raises $1B Apr 14, 2021, 13:05
Apr 14, 2021, 13:05

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 14, 2021, 01:58:
cappy wrote on Apr 13, 2021, 19:32:
Maybe they could hire more people and better train them to handle basic customer service. But I doubt it.

I've been going back-and-forth for two months with (latest count) 30 email exchanges with a rotating group of pseudonymous Epic customer service representatives trying to get a refund for pre-purchasing Vampire Bloodlines 2 through them. The hilarious part is that Epic actually emailed me in February offering to do a refund due to the game now being in limbo. All I had to do was contact Epic's award-winning customer service team.

So far, I've had their reps tell me the refund was already processed, no actually it wasn't that was a different account sorry, apologies for the inconvenience and fresh promises to look into it that are repeated by the next rep like Groundhog Day (this has happened almost a dozen times with new reps each time). The latest was an email Friday claiming the refund had been processed followed by an email today from someone else saying it hadn't and they were looking into it and needed at least 14 more Business Days before they thought they could issue a refund.

My understanding is that people who pre-purchased on Steam or GOG had no issues getting refunds. I'd assumed that a multi-billion dollar company that's been around almost 30 years would kind of be able to process a refund. I mean, even small proprietors do that regularly in under a week rather than spending (based on the latest email) at least 3 months.

I've filed a BBB complaint, an FCC complaint, and another fraud complaint with the state attorney general since Epic figures I have plenty of time to wait and I may as well keep myself occupied with something Epic-related. Epic's Refund Policy claims "You can cancel your pre-purchase and get a refund at any time before release." I suppose I could go into the page's code or maximize the fonts to see if it also says "But good luck actually receiving a refund. We usually take months and make it so hard that we hope you will just go away so we can keep your money."

Contact whoever that was the company that you used to pay for it (Bank or Paypal, etc) and ask for payment to be stopped or reversed. Send them all the emails. Granted you MAY have your Epic Account Suspended (had this problem with Sony years back for bogus charges for Planetside 2 subscription), so keep that in mind.

Yeah, issue is that credit card companies typically have a 60-day limit for disputing charges, so that option isn't available. Interestingly, state and federal laws leave refund policies up to businesses - including whether or not they are even remotely timely. It would pretty much fall under contract law, and of course in most cases pursuing a legal remedy for that isn't worth the expense. My solution has been to remind them frequently and to escalate to the complaints to the BBB, FCC, and state attorney general and to forward those to them. As of yesterday afternoon, I received a slightly more detailed and less form-style response that may give hope that a refund is somewhere on the horizon. The latest reply is still claiming 14 business days, so I'll see whether that happens. I did notice that other BBB complaints about refund issues seem to have been resolved by Epic.

Re: Epic Raises $1B
Apr 13, 2021, 19:32
Re: Epic Raises $1B Apr 13, 2021, 19:32
Apr 13, 2021, 19:32

Maybe they could hire more people and better train them to handle basic customer service. But I doubt it.

I've been going back-and-forth for two months with (latest count) 30 email exchanges with a rotating group of pseudonymous Epic customer service representatives trying to get a refund for pre-purchasing Vampire Bloodlines 2 through them. The hilarious part is that Epic actually emailed me in February offering to do a refund due to the game now being in limbo. All I had to do was contact Epic's award-winning customer service team.

So far, I've had their reps tell me the refund was already processed, no actually it wasn't that was a different account sorry, apologies for the inconvenience and fresh promises to look into it that are repeated by the next rep like Groundhog Day (this has happened almost a dozen times with new reps each time). The latest was an email Friday claiming the refund had been processed followed by an email today from someone else saying it hadn't and they were looking into it and needed at least 14 more Business Days before they thought they could issue a refund.

My understanding is that people who pre-purchased on Steam or GOG had no issues getting refunds. I'd assumed that a multi-billion dollar company that's been around almost 30 years would kind of be able to process a refund. I mean, even small proprietors do that regularly in under a week rather than spending (based on the latest email) at least 3 months.

I've filed a BBB complaint, an FCC complaint, and another fraud complaint with the state attorney general since Epic figures I have plenty of time to wait and I may as well keep myself occupied with something Epic-related. Epic's Refund Policy claims "You can cancel your pre-purchase and get a refund at any time before release." I suppose I could go into the page's code or maximize the fonts to see if it also says "But good luck actually receiving a refund. We usually take months and make it so hard that we hope you will just go away so we can keep your money."

Re: Sunday Metaverse
Mar 21, 2021, 19:20
Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 21, 2021, 19:20
Mar 21, 2021, 19:20

I'm envisioning something along the lines of the scene in "Being John Malkovich" where Malkovich goes inside his own mind and everyone looks like him and says his name over and over...

https://youtu.be/Q6Fuxkinhug?t=25

Re: More on Apple v. Epic Games
Mar 5, 2021, 10:55
Re: More on Apple v. Epic Games Mar 5, 2021, 10:55
Mar 5, 2021, 10:55

Nullity wrote on Mar 5, 2021, 09:27:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 5, 2021, 02:10:
Their ticket tracking system(s) must be a nightmare.
If EGS is anything to go by, I doubt they have one. They probably all work off of a single basic text file stored on a network drive, keeping/updating notes - constantly overwriting each other's changes.

Another response from Epic. Now they admit that they did not actually issue a refund over a week ago at all because the order wasn't recent enough. They're back to promising to credit my PayPal account instead.

Re: More on Apple v. Epic Games
Mar 4, 2021, 21:34
Re: More on Apple v. Epic Games Mar 4, 2021, 21:34
Mar 4, 2021, 21:34

fakespyder wrote on Mar 4, 2021, 20:50:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 4, 2021, 19:20:
Epic, fighting the good fight. Plus free games, what's not to love.

I think by now we all know what aspects of Epic's business model we love and those aspects we don't.

They're not "fighting the good fight". They want in too. So they'll break ToS, make exclusive deals and litigate to get there.

But yes, the free games are nice.

Yeah, the free games are nice. The ones you pre-pay for, not so much. I made the mistake of pre-ordering Vampire Bloodlines 2. With the latest turmoil about the game's development and questionable release, Epic sent me an email offering to allow me to cancel my pre-order and receive a refund. Cool. That was upfront of them. So I did.

I've now been mired in over a week of back-and-forth emails with various Epic customer support people variously replying to me with the following:

1) Wanting my PayPal email address to issue a credit (I paid originally with a credit card whose account number hasn't changed, but thought okay, if that's the way they want to issue a refund, that's fine)
2) Asking me why I sent a PayPal email since a refund was already issued
3) Apologizing and saying they had looked at the wrong order number and would issue a refund to my PayPal
4) Telling me I should have received the PayPal refund by now and to double-check and if not received they would escalate
5) Asking me why I am inquiring because they claim the refund should already have been applied and to talk to PayPal
6) Asking me why I was asking about PayPal because the refund was sent to a credit card account (um, because they asked ME for a PayPal account to issue the refund?)
7) Telling me to talk to my bank and ask when the funds would be added to my bank account (not credit card account)

Note that I have checked both PayPal and my credit card (including by phone) after 7 days past when they claimed a refund was issued.

These people literally are so confused and inept. I have never encountered such a complete inability to perform basic customer functions. Kudos for how quickly they email a response. But it's the content and quality of the replies that are not terribly useful or helpful.

I'm probably just going to have to dispute the charge with the credit card company because Epic can't manage to figure out how to do refunds.

Oct 4, 2020, 21:57
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2020, 21:57
Oct 4, 2020, 21:57

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 4, 2020, 20:04:
cappy wrote on Oct 4, 2020, 16:57:
It may be someone who was doing the "knockout game". I had someone do that to me a year ago, slamming me really hard from behind out of the blue and then strolling off while the two people near me tried to help me. He caught me in the back of the neck but also slammed me into a railing which did most of the damage because my shoulder caught the hard edge of the railing. Ended up with damaged rotator cuff and took many months to recover. Massive bruises. I was wearing a backpack which may have helped dampen the slam he gave me from behind, though. In that part of town, there was a rash of these random attacks because apparently a particular group of teens and early 20s were doing them. They ended up catching them a month or so after my attack, and ironically I rode on the train with someone who was heading to the courthouse to testify. I never saw the face of the one who attacked me. Just saw him from behind and he was wearing a hoodie. Watched him stroll half a block and then get on a bus.

Did you ever consider not living in Somalia? /s

Frankly, I've never considered living *in* Somalia...

Oct 4, 2020, 16:57
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2020, 16:57
Oct 4, 2020, 16:57

It may be someone who was doing the "knockout game". I had someone do that to me a year ago, slamming me really hard from behind out of the blue and then strolling off while the two people near me tried to help me. He caught me in the back of the neck but also slammed me into a railing which did most of the damage because my shoulder caught the hard edge of the railing. Ended up with damaged rotator cuff and took many months to recover. Massive bruises. I was wearing a backpack which may have helped dampen the slam he gave me from behind, though. In that part of town, there was a rash of these random attacks because apparently a particular group of teens and early 20s were doing them. They ended up catching them a month or so after my attack, and ironically I rode on the train with someone who was heading to the courthouse to testify. I never saw the face of the one who attacked me. Just saw him from behind and he was wearing a hoodie. Watched him stroll half a block and then get on a bus.

Mar 16, 2019, 17:19
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2019, 17:19
Mar 16, 2019, 17:19

Blue - I am so sorry to hear this. Take care and hope you can find solace.

Re: Ubisoft Changing Controversial Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC
Jan 26, 2019, 14:29
Re: Ubisoft Changing Controversial Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Jan 26, 2019, 14:29
Jan 26, 2019, 14:29

Kxmode wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 17:12:
ALL species require male and female to produce. Even in nature, asexual species must change their sex to produce offspring.

With the exception of parthenogenesis, which only requires females (and no gender change) and produces offspring with no male genes (there are different means of doing this; some create a clone of the mother, others have the mother produce two sets of genes and non-clone offspring, etc.). It occurs naturally in various reptiles, amphibians, and fish and has been lab-created in some mammals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis

Re: Morning Mobilization
Nov 28, 2016, 22:27
Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 28, 2016, 22:27
Nov 28, 2016, 22:27

descender wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 17:37:
You end up paying like twice as much as just buying it outright somewhere else, but most people don't seem to care.

The payment plans definitely used to be like this, but not anymore. I've been shopping around for a new provider and they all seem to be within a few percentage points of the retail price of the phone now if not the same.

For the phone itself, that's correct.

But AT&T will then charge $20 extra per month (per phone) under their "Monthly Access Charge" if you finance the phone(s).

If you bring your own phone, it's $20/month. If you buy it through AT&T and finance it, it's $40/month.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

"If you are on a 2-year Agreement your monthly access charge will be $40."

Re: Evening Metaverse
Apr 16, 2015, 18:44
Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 16, 2015, 18:44
Apr 16, 2015, 18:44

Sepharo wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 18:21:
Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 13:03:
NKD wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 02:53:
Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 01:12:
If you haven't watched Orphan Black, go watch it. It's truly awesome. Just a fantastic storyline, and watching Tatiana Maslany do all these different characters is fantastic (and no more so than when she plays one character imitating another.)

I find myself literally forgetting that it's the same actress. It just doesn't even occur to me when I'm watching it.

Agreed. She is phenomenal.

I watched the first season a while back and really liked it. Forgot about the 2nd season but started binge watching it last week. Yeah I'm constantly amazed at how I'm able to forget she's playing 4 sometimes 5 characters an episode that all seem like believable unique individuals.

Agreed. And even more so when she has one "character" trying to pass as another "character" - she introduces subtle quirks that make it really feel like someone is doing an almost-but-not-quite-perfect impersonation.

Re: Evening Mobilization
Mar 9, 2015, 20:21
Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 9, 2015, 20:21
Mar 9, 2015, 20:21

John wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 19:10:
Ok, that's just crazy.. Is it solid gold or just plated?

It's an alloy Apple devised that significantly minimizes the actual gold content while still qualifying as technically 18-karat

Sep 13, 2014, 12:43
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2014, 12:43
Sep 13, 2014, 12:43

There was a pretty interesting book done several years ago on the history of Los Angeles's sewer systems:

http://www.amazon.com/Brown-Acres-Intimate-History-Angeles/dp/1883318750

The sewers featured heavily in Troika's game Vampire: Bloodlines and I recall seeing an esoteric review of this book, complete with pictures that looked much like the game.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Oct 14, 2013, 22:32
Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 14, 2013, 22:32
Oct 14, 2013, 22:32

nin wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 22:28:
cappy wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 22:05:
Prez wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 20:26:
I'm a little surprised to see Blue link to such a politically charged topic as "Obamacare", but hey, it's his site.

I have deliberately remained mostly ignorant on the ACA so I could see for myself what it entailed instead of having someone else explain their version of the truth of it to me. Honestly, from what I've seen so far my reaction is one of "THIS is what the fuss is all about?" I assumed when the talking heads were calling it socialized medicine that it would mean free health care for those without jobs wholly subsidized by those of us with jobs. Instead it sounds like just any other plan from any other insurance company only with the Federal Government as the administrator. "But Prez, it's forcing companies to provide its full-time employees with healthcare!" To which I say, "And...? That's a bad thing how exactly?" Uninsured people are one of the things that drives the cost of healthcare for everyone - imagine if there were fewer uninsured people!

You can say that the government mandating things to corporations is anti-capitalist and that may be so, but before government regulation of corporations started factory workers who died at their machines from being over-worked and under- nourished were simply pushed out of the way to make room for a live worker to work the machine. Ah the good ole early 1900's, dontcha miss 'em? Corporations have repeatedly shown that often the only way they will do the right thing is if they are made to. So while I am pro-Capitalist in the general sense, the need for government mandates and regulation is obvious to me. Enron and Worldcom anyone?

+1

Thanks for the rational, well-thought-out taking-a-step-away-from-hyperbole post. The whole healthcare issue has seen too little of that, unfortunately. So many people have grown hysterical over it. So a calm read is greatly refreshing!

Agreed. Think Prez is one of, if not the most level headed folks here.

Yeah, he always explains his positions and is willing to consider others who do the same. I've always appreciated that, since it isn't the norm in discussions on many topics

Re: Internet abandons the US
Oct 14, 2013, 22:24
Re: Internet abandons the US Oct 14, 2013, 22:24
Oct 14, 2013, 22:24

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 11:28:

Meanwhile Obama's approval is down to a record low of 37%, even lower than Bush's rating at this point in his presidency. When Bush finally reached it after 6 years the liberal dominated media celebrated. Now it's not even being reported by those same hypocrites.

With all the back-and-forth on the polls, here's what they are:

* Associated Press released a 37% approval result last week, which was seized upon by various politicians, pundits, and outlets because it showed such a precipitous drop from previous polls.

* RealClearPolitics' compilation of polls shows it as an outlier, well below FoxNews, Rasmussen, Reuters, Gallup, etc.

* Gallup has Obama's most recent daily approval rating at 41%.

* Gallup also helpfully allows users to overlay prior Presidents' approval ratings to compare them.

* At this point, 1727 days in office, Obama's approval was 42% for the week average. Bush's was 39% for the same time period. The past 500 days in office track very closely between Obama and Bush, just as Obama's first 670 days in office tracked closely to Reagan's - before Reagan (like Clinton) saw increasing popularity that extended into his second term.

It's relevant to note that while individual poll results may cheer or depress people - depending upon their point-of-view of whoever or whatever is being polled - polls can be outliers, even ones with good methodology and track records. Given the way aberrant polls have been seized upon by opposition in the past two re-election bids (2004 and 2012) a little grain of salt is probably warranted when a poll diverges too much from all others.

In any event, Obama isn't running for re-election. I would say that the polling results for Congress are more interesting. And even then, their relevance is likely to be considerably dampened a year from now in mid-terms.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2013, 22:31.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Oct 14, 2013, 22:05
Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 14, 2013, 22:05
Oct 14, 2013, 22:05

Prez wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 20:26:
I'm a little surprised to see Blue link to such a politically charged topic as "Obamacare", but hey, it's his site.

I have deliberately remained mostly ignorant on the ACA so I could see for myself what it entailed instead of having someone else explain their version of the truth of it to me. Honestly, from what I've seen so far my reaction is one of "THIS is what the fuss is all about?" I assumed when the talking heads were calling it socialized medicine that it would mean free health care for those without jobs wholly subsidized by those of us with jobs. Instead it sounds like just any other plan from any other insurance company only with the Federal Government as the administrator. "But Prez, it's forcing companies to provide its full-time employees with healthcare!" To which I say, "And...? That's a bad thing how exactly?" Uninsured people are one of the things that drives the cost of healthcare for everyone - imagine if there were fewer uninsured people!

You can say that the government mandating things to corporations is anti-capitalist and that may be so, but before government regulation of corporations started factory workers who died at their machines from being over-worked and under- nourished were simply pushed out of the way to make room for a live worker to work the machine. Ah the good ole early 1900's, dontcha miss 'em? Corporations have repeatedly shown that often the only way they will do the right thing is if they are made to. So while I am pro-Capitalist in the general sense, the need for government mandates and regulation is obvious to me. Enron and Worldcom anyone?

+1

Thanks for the rational, well-thought-out taking-a-step-away-from-hyperbole post. The whole healthcare issue has seen too little of that, unfortunately. So many people have grown hysterical over it. So a calm read is greatly refreshing!

Re: Evening Consolidation
Aug 6, 2013, 00:49
Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 6, 2013, 00:49
Aug 6, 2013, 00:49

I don't have a PS3. But I watched the entire walkthrough of the game - the only time I have ever done this. Excellent game.

And the thing that made it work was that the main characters grew to depend on one another. The article mentions criticisms that the female character got into danger. But one of the best parts of the game (at least from my perspective viewing a walkthrough) was when Ellie had to save someone else. And not a short-term rescue save, either.

I think the whole thing felt more satisfying because the dynamic between the characters felt balanced, with each bringing strengths to the relationship.

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Jun 27, 2013, 22:50
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 27, 2013, 22:50
Jun 27, 2013, 22:50

Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 21:02:
Designed in California. Made In China. Because Apple hates America.

Designed in California...by an English knight.

Re: Science Fiction...
Apr 28, 2013, 17:36
Re: Science Fiction... Apr 28, 2013, 17:36
Apr 28, 2013, 17:36
282 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ] Older