Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1945 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 21, 2015, 01:06 Paranoid Jack

Sepharo wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 15:13:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 13:07:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 19, 2015, 19:13:
I use my own modem and router with Comcast.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJHDZSI/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DB9WCR6/

I have the same brand of router. I have the Motorola SURFboard eXtreme Wireless Cable Modem & Gigabit Router SBG6580. How long have you had your account? I just signed up again a couple months ago and they refused to let me use mine.

My account for 6+ years, my modem for just a year I think.
Just hook it up, call in, and say you need to add a modem to your account. You give them the MAC address etc, and you should be set.

Yeah, that is how it worked for me last time I signed up. This time the rep told me it was not compatible. Guess it wouldn't hurt to give it another try. Worse case scenario they knock out my service for a little while. Last time I just hooked it up and never had to call them. I used mine and returned their modem to the local Comcast sales/billing office. Either way thanks again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 20, 2015, 13:07 Paranoid Jack

Sepharo wrote on Sep 19, 2015, 19:13:
I use my own modem and router with Comcast.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJHDZSI/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DB9WCR6/

I have the same brand of router. I have the Motorola SURFboard eXtreme Wireless Cable Modem & Gigabit Router SBG6580. How long have you had your account? I just signed up again a couple months ago and they refused to let me use mine.

News Comments > Age of Decadence Next Month
11. Re: Age of Decadence Next Month Sep 20, 2015, 00:22 Paranoid Jack

harlock wrote on Sep 19, 2015, 23:59:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Sep 19, 2015, 23:21:
Not sure if they have tweaked it in the past year or two five years (wow, been a long time).

its vastly different in many ways, but its still designed to be hard as hell

these guys got in way over their heads with too many variables.. and yeh that early demo was garbage

Thanks, checked out this Let's Play and it looks as good as I remember it being... if you build your character just right. I have a feeling this guy has played the game numerous times or may be involved with the developer.

News Comments > Age of Decadence Next Month
9. Re: Age of Decadence Next Month Sep 19, 2015, 23:21 Paranoid Jack

Stopped following this about five years ago. Was really looking forward to it but after playing the demos the combat seemed a bit off to me. I usually failed to land a blow... what seemed like ninety percent of the time. I tried several builds but the odds are stacked horribly against you. So I lost interest fast. As far as choices go it has a bunch but if you choose combat it just felt off. Not sure if they have tweaked it in the past year or two five years (wow, been a long time). Has it been on Steam that long? (yes, over two and a half years)

edit: Holy Shit it has been that long...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Age_of_Decadence

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2015, 23:52.

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 19, 2015, 17:52 Paranoid Jack

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 04:58:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Sep 17, 2015, 23:04:
These fiber lines getting vandalized has been going on for a lot longer than they are letting on. I remember several being cut in the San Jose area while a contract was being negotiated several years ago. It may have been 2009 but I think it was before that even. I remember because they publicly blamed employees.

As far as the ISPs forcing the use of their equipment... Comcast is doing the same thing. I have an all in one router. I shut down my internet and when I turned it back on just a few months later they told me that my equipment was not compatible with their network. So they are basically forcing me to lease theirs for $10 a month. Still wondering why the CPUC has not stepped in. My assumption is because the internet is still mostly non-regulated.

This is kind of your thing though, right? If anyone could figure out a way around not renting a router, it would be you, no? Also, were you ever involved in fixing those cut lines? How do people even know where they are?

Since 1984 nobody has been required to rent a phone or have the local provider work on their interior wires beyond the demarcation unless they chose to. You can do the work yourself or hire somebody from the phonebook/internet. Also you buy your own equipment because it is just cheaper to do so. I am fairly certain this has been the case for the entire fifty states. And I am fairly certain there has never been a requirement to rent the modem from the telephone or cable providers. In the past they would sell it to you or just give it to you as part of the promo. The cable providers would always lease you one or allow you to use one you have purchased. That is why the modems/routers are still available in stores. But in the past year there has been a shift and they are forcing the issue. They will no longer sell you an ADSL 2+ modem. Nor will Comcast let you use your own.

Years ago Comcast rebranded their internet Xfinity and at&t rolled out U-Verse. These products were in no way regulated. That is why they separated them from their regulated products. Because they are internet service nobody can stop them from now forcing you to lease a modem/router.

Why would you want to rent a modem/router? Other than the device belonging to the provider who has to replace it if it goes bad there is no reason to. Modems last for years. I once had an old ADSL modem for six years before upgrading. Not to mention with the Comcast least router you are now running a wifi hot spot from your home for all to use. Not really sure what you are getting at?

Those cut fibers are construction repairs or the fiber crew. Not the same part of the company. So no I only worked on fiber to the prem. Which hasn't seen much growth for a decade thanks to the housing market crash. Not even sure they will continue to roll it out as it was originally designed since it was very short sited. Only 32mbps to each house in this area. They are now reconfiguring or retrofitting it to supply double or triple that by changing the fiber hubs and changing out the ONT at the prem.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2015, 17:59.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 17, 2015, 23:04 Paranoid Jack

These fiber lines getting vandalized has been going on for a lot longer than they are letting on. I remember several being cut in the San Jose area while a contract was being negotiated several years ago. It may have been 2009 but I think it was before that even. I remember because they publicly blamed employees.

As far as the ISPs forcing the use of their equipment... Comcast is doing the same thing. I have an all in one router. I shut down my internet and when I turned it back on just a few months later they told me that my equipment was not compatible with their network. So they are basically forcing me to lease theirs for $10 a month. Still wondering why the CPUC has not stepped in. My assumption is because the internet is still mostly non-regulated.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 13, 2015, 17:11 Paranoid Jack

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 16:57:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 16:36:
Techie714 wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 14:13:
I finished Witcher 3 & absolutely LOVED it! I think my only grip with it is the one most people have, it's too damn long! I swear that game just does not end. I finally got to Kaer Morhen castle thinking "Alright, finally at the end"...LOL Nope! you still have a TON of more work ahead.

*Still waiting to play GTA V but the damn price NEVER drops!

Just got a special email from GMG with GTA5 at $44.95. I'm holding out for a lower price since I already own it on the PS4. Sadly I just deleted it before I checked this thread. Hopefully somebody else also got it and can forward you the link. I went through all my accounts and can't find it in the deleted folders.

Why would you need a "special email"? You just go to the GMG website and check the VIP deals. Presto.

D'oh, I don't use the site much. Emails are the only way I get the codes unless somebody posts one. Either way thanks for the info. And thanks for not chewing me up with belittling insults. I appreciate the gentler kinder CJ_Parker. Now if only we could only get a few others to follow in your footsteps and calm down?

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2015, 16:53 Paranoid Jack

Simon Says wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 11:57:
DrSquick wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 11:25:
Simon Says wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 11:12:
Lets you download 1 gig in seconds... Charges you 10$ for it and caps you at 10gigs per month. *slow clap*

I know... As a network engineer this could be a game changer. It would be entirely possible to no longer have a LAN or even need Wifi if you have such fast data speeds. But as long as data caps are there, it isn't possible.

Data caps aren't the only problem with wireless networks like this. The other is a "feature" ( can't remember the name, I looked it up 2 years ago when I wanted to understand WTF was happening with my home 4g connection when it got disconnected from the tower for no apparent reason, taking sometimes a minute or more to reconnect, having to negotiate, scan, and all that jazz again ) that disconnects you periodically to better manage the amount of people trying to go through the tower, even if the signal is rock solid ( around -65db here ). I can't tell you how many times in 2 years of having data over cell wireless I have been disconnected in the middle of a video, browsing, or the worst, actively playing online games, like smack in the middle of a heated battle. It happens easily 5-10 times, sometimes more, per day. And mind you, I live in a relatively small village of less than 1000 pop, fairly isolated too, if not for a crucial 1 lane road skimming it 2 kilometers away. I can't imagine how bad it would be were I stuck on cell wireless with a bigger population trying to connect to the tower.

Unless they find a way to get rid of that "feature" ( especially on HOME connections, on a smartphone, this is acceptable and probably necessary, but for a home connection its totally unacceptable, a distinction should be made between them, at the very least, to exempt home connections from that crazy behaviour ), cell wireless will never ever be as reliable as wired and presented with the choice between faster uncapped cell wireless and slower capped/uncapped wired, I'd still choose wired, even if capped, everytime.

I'll have to check into this. I use to think it was caused by the tower being near max capacity and they were dropping me because I was an employee. So I had suspected something stupid like this. I usually can't reconnect either. Sometimes takes ten to twenty minutes to reconnect after rebooting the device. Not only do I have to reboot the device but go through VPN and reconnect to the servers after jumping multiple security hurdles. Has been this way on two different iPads and three different Panasonic Toughbooks for the past fifteen or so years.

I am on cellular fifty to seventy five percent of the day. Usually this type of disconnect happens when I am closing a ticket or trying to test a circuit. I use to get mad. Now I just smile and think about how much money they are paying me to sit around and twiddle my thumbs while stupid automated programs like this and a few others are killing my productivity.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 13, 2015, 16:36 Paranoid Jack

Techie714 wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 14:13:
I finished Witcher 3 & absolutely LOVED it! I think my only grip with it is the one most people have, it's too damn long! I swear that game just does not end. I finally got to Kaer Morhen castle thinking "Alright, finally at the end"...LOL Nope! you still have a TON of more work ahead.

*Still waiting to play GTA V but the damn price NEVER drops!

Just got a special email from GMG with GTA5 at $44.95. I'm holding out for a lower price since I already own it on the PS4. Sadly I just deleted it before I checked this thread. Hopefully somebody else also got it and can forward you the link. I went through all my accounts and can't find it in the deleted folders.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 13, 2015, 11:50 Paranoid Jack

I really want to try the Metal Gear series again. I tried a demo of Snake Eater or Guns of the Patriots... years ago and didn't like it much. From the videos I have seen I think I'll love the stealth options but hate the storyline. One reason I am waiting for the price to drop or possibly catching it on a Steam sale this Holiday season.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Sep 13, 2015, 11:35 Paranoid Jack

The two US Telco/Entertainment companies with wireless options want us all to go non-regulated or move onto their cellular and/or IP based options but they prevent that as a viable option by imposing stupid low data caps and slowing us down once we hit certain thresholds. If they could throttle their own greed they could truly change the way this country uses our current and future mobile devices.

4G has crazy fast speeds compared to the average current wired broadband speeds. Yet, you can only get those speeds on your mobile devices when you are in certain areas. Most of which are located in or very near a large metropolis.

I know government intervention is not the answer but what if they imposed a regulation that you can not move onto the next technology until you have upgrade your entire network, all of your user base, to the current technology? There are still old towers out there using Edge, 2G, and 3G. Most of which belong to Verizon. It does work better in mountainous regions but with the newer phones you can only just text with it since the coverage is so poor a call won't stay connected or is so garbled its a waste of time even trying to make it.

So yeah, what they claim is impressive but the other side of the coin is that their greed will stifle any true change within the current wireless climate.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend
28. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 22:05 Paranoid Jack

IMO X-Com 2 will be worth $80. Of course I won't be paying that. Just hold out for a 30% off code at GMG. That is the only reason I have already bought Fallout 4. They sent me a code and I jumped on it.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Sep 9, 2015, 15:21 Paranoid Jack

Dark Souls III is currently my most anticipated game. I just hope it doesn't slip more than once. It being on time is still possible, though no firm date has been set, it has been in development along side Bloodborne while Dark Souls II was still in development.  

News Comments > Slashy Souls TMed
1. Re: Slashy Souls TMed Sep 9, 2015, 14:38 Paranoid Jack

A Souls game spoof?  

News Comments > Laborious Metaverse
13. Re: Laborious Metaverse Sep 7, 2015, 22:52 Paranoid Jack

Sepharo wrote on Sep 7, 2015, 21:25:
Flatline wrote on Sep 7, 2015, 20:41:
SlimRam wrote on Sep 7, 2015, 14:47:
  • PewDiePie becomes first YouTuber to hit 10 billion views.

• All hope is lost

I don't watch youtube game videos generally as a rule anyway because they are boring as fuck and I'd rather play a video game than watch someone play a video game.

So that being said, what's the appeal of PewDiePie?

He plays games and says things some people consider funny while he plays them.
    If you need any other mysteries solved let me know, I'm pretty good at this I think.

Made me laugh, thanks.

Then I read that little and I mean little article on Comcast. The last line had me busting up.

"Obviously it's too early for pricing details, but Comcast's 2 Gbps Gigabit Pro service is currently priced at $300 a month with $1000 in installation and activation fees."

With those speeds you can burn through your data cap real fast... then what... bend over and wait for it?

News Comments > Company of Heroes: British Forces Released
    2. Re: Company of Heroes: British Forces Released Sep 3, 2015, 15:23 Paranoid Jack

I need to try the campaigns. I haven't touch them yet. Last night I only had enough time to play one game of skirmish on a community map to get a feel for the new British Forces. I played against AI which was playing the German Oberkommando West. The British felt both over powered and/or weak at times. Which was good in a way. I went with Anvil and never used any trenches due to the map.

If you group your troops right they can decimate the German armor. So they may be fairly balanced with the other armies. The sniper has a perk that allows him to disable the tank guns forcing a retreat. It's a temp thing with a couple minute cool down which I'm not sure of but I assume can only hit one tank per activation.

News Comments > METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN Released
    25. Re: METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN Released Sep 2, 2015, 00:26 Paranoid Jack

KTR wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 00:17:
    Paranoid Jack wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 21:38:
    Does anyone know if Ground Zeros comes with all CD Keys or just from a Steam purchase directly?

That was a preorder incentive, which is gone now.

Paranoid Jack wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 21:38:
    Also if I play Ground Zeros on the PS4 and upload my save will it transfer over to the PC version on Steam?

Nope.

Well, poop. Thanks for clearing that up though.

19. Re: METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN Released Sep 1, 2015, 22:58 Paranoid Jack

ItBurn wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 21:49:
    Drayth wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 20:50:
    Cliffsnotes.

Wow that made no sense. Sounds made up by a 5 year old.

LoL, I was thinking the same thing... well, worse. I gave up on it maybe three or four minutes in. Sounded too cray cray as the kids use to say.

14. Re: METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN Released Sep 1, 2015, 21:38 Paranoid Jack

Does anyone know if Ground Zeros comes with all CD Keys or just from a Steam purchase directly? Also if I play Ground Zeros on the PS4 and upload my save will it transfer over to the PC version on Steam?

News Comments > Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam
    20. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 13:33 Paranoid Jack

Quinn wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 11:23:
    ColoradoHoudini wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 11:07:
    I'd like to give this game a shot.. but MGS V is going to take all my time.. with Rocket League being my "quick fix" game in between.

I don't think this was a good timing release idea on the Mad Max teams part.

Well, MGS5 is a weird and special kind of newborn. I throw up in my mouth every time I just hear the title "metal gear solid", but watching the trailers of MGS5 I am thoroughly impressed. Never enough for a buy, though -- I am completely and utterly detached from the lore and story. It's a shame this isn't just a new IP.

The very reason I have never played a MGS game is the corny story with cheesy cut scenes. Though I must say most Japanese games turn me off with their stories/cut scene cheesiness. I am itching to give it a try though. Almost bought it last night. Glad, I have waited on both MGS5 and MM.

Thank you all for your view points. harlock, your insightful comments continue to inspire me, thanks. LoL, I will pick it up at some point just not sure when.

1945 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 4.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo