Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bludd

Real Name Bludd   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Bludd
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Hm.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 1, 2001, 14:59
Total Comments 953 (Graduate)
User ID 11506

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs
31. Re: New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs Aug 18, 2016, 02:27 Bludd

Seems like NMS has a problem with regenerating its shadercache after a driver update so an nvidia rep suggests deleting the shadercache:

link to thread on nvidia forums

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs
30. Re: New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs Aug 18, 2016, 02:25 Bludd

There are video playback problems in this driver and nvidia has at least somewhat said they are looking into it

link to thread on nvidia forums

I am experiencing it on my 980ti on Win10 (latest non-anniversary) in EVR

News Comments > VIVE & GTX 10 Series Display Port Issue
10. Re: VIVE & GTX 10 Series Display Port Issue Jul 6, 2016, 18:29 Bludd

nvidia has replied to the forum thread but only to say they are investigating. Baby steps, eh  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Beta Tease
12. Re: Battlefield 1 Beta Tease Jul 1, 2016, 17:59 Bludd

you can sign up to be an insider without pre-ordering, can't you? at least you could before  

News Comments > Civilization VI England Trailer
3. Re: Civilization VI England Trailer Jun 29, 2016, 18:14 Bludd

jimnms wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 18:04:
I wish they would go back to having multiple possible leaders for each civ, each with different traits.
They haven't announced anything but speculations on civfanatics are that they may do so because of how Firaxis has described the abilities a civ gets. For instance, they have said that Teddy Roosevelt's "Big stick policy" agenda is a leader trait so at the very least there's support for it in the engine, but it is not a big leap to suggest they will, if not wholly put it in vanilla, release a DLC with it as a possibility.

So keep your fingers crossed

News Comments > Civilization VI Videos
16. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 26, 2016, 12:23 Bludd

yonder wrote on Jun 26, 2016, 11:01:
The heck are you guys talking about? The graphics have, depending on your definition, either been cartoony for about 15 years or so, or have been cartoony the entire time. If you hate that aspect of the game you've hated the last 3 or 4 entries into the series.

I, for one, love the new look of the map and I think the change of the way cities work is a massive enough change to warrant a new entry into the series. I'm glad they're taking risks. If I want to play the same game over and over, I'll do exactly that, since I have all the games in the series.
The graphics need to be stylised like this now because of the amount of info you need to be able to grasp at a glance is greater bsince the cities are unstacked. I think it looks clean and good. I hate the way Beyond Earth looks, it is WAY to busy and I am glad they didn't go down that route.

8. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 25, 2016, 15:51 Bludd

Task wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 15:35:
Whats happening with Space Civ then? Hopefully not dead on arrival.
It's had an expansion, but honestly I think it's over and I don't think it'll get any more.

6. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 25, 2016, 15:28 Bludd

Quboid wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 15:13:
Peter M. Smith wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 14:35:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 14:18:
It's interesting that the series is on its third designer in three versions.

While your statement is true at face value, the reality is Ed Beach was the designer for both of the Civ V expansions as well as the core of Civ VI.

It's quite a lot of shifting. If it wasn't for the fact that each game has been better than the previous in my opinion, I would think that lead designers are carrying the can for delivering a failure, with successors easing into the role with DLC.

The designers seem to go into indie development. Maybe they're unhappy working on large projects and fancy having the sort of control that they give their players. Maybe they don't like the size of their bonus.

Watch the DICE summit Civ 25th anniversary panel with Bruce Shelley, Firaxis Games' Sid Meier, Big Huge Games' Brian Reynolds and Mohawk Games' Soren Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h65FXaJHbhE

They say it is quite draining to lead a Civ game

News Comments > It came from E3 2016, Part 3
7. Re: It came from E3 2016, Part 3 Jun 18, 2016, 17:40 Bludd

ItBurn wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 17:22:
Bludd wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 17:14:
1080 is nowhere near good enough. It's not good enough for work nor for games. For work, you need more vertical resolution and for games you need more resolution in general so you can avoid blurry multi-sample AA and AA-like filters.

For work, yeah definitely, but we were talking about gaming. You're right about AA and that's why I always disable AA. If we go to 4K, we won't need AA either because the pixels will be small enough. 4K gaming IS better, but I don't see it bringing any meaningful changes to games like VR could.
The Oculus Rift has a vertical resolution of 1200 same as the HTC Vive while the Samsung Gear VR has 1440. So even the VR guys don't think 1080 is good enough.

News Comments > It came from E3 2016, Part 3
5. Re: It came from E3 2016, Part 3 Jun 18, 2016, 17:14 Bludd

ItBurn wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 13:00:
WaltC wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 12:18:
Yep, 4k-5k gaming is the near future for PC gaming. VR is destined for the same tiny niche that stereoscopic 3d gaming now fills, imo, if even to that degree.

I disagree. Honestly, 1080 is good enough. I don't see what raising the resolution will do other than a linear improvement in graphics. VR will grow, improve and get an exponential boost.

edit: Also, The Verge is now in my list of shit flamebait/clickbait sites.
1080 is nowhere near good enough. It's not good enough for work nor for games. For work, you need more vertical resolution and for games you need more resolution in general so you can avoid blurry multi-sample AA and AA-like filters.

News Comments > Civilization VI Announced
2. Re: Civilization VI Announced May 11, 2016, 12:07 Bludd

hel yae!  

News Comments > Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints
39. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2016, 17:21 Bludd

Darks wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 15:12:
Bludd wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 13:16:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 13:05:
Darks wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 12:17:
Bludd wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 11:56:
Have fun living in your bubble where you can cower and hide from the realities and issues of the day.

Science fiction and fantasy literature have always been about real life issues. It's by putting the story in a setting where the trivialities and rules of the universe can be skipped to focus on telling the story, which have always - in the best sci-fi and fantasy - been about the times and people and the world and all issues therein.

Apparently it's you that's living in a bubble, most common people prefer to not deal or hear about this lame bullshit. It does not have a place in gaming where people are trying to most likely place their political views and cramming them down everyone's throats.

Which would explain why Star Trek was such an unpopular and short lived series: using science fiction as a way to understand ourselves and the present is something no one wants. Oh wait, we're talking about one of the longest lived and most popular institutions of popular culture, one which even had an episode exploring what life is like for transgender people, in 1992!

Good fiction writing is NEVER purely escapist, because otherwise it would mean the writer has nothing on his or her mind which the writing is a response to; if you don't have ideas, then your story doesn't have anything to say. When a story says nothing about our lives in the real world, it isn't good writing. That doesn't mean a story needs to be a response to hot button issues, but it does mean that it could, for example, explore the guilt that comes from an irreversible mistake: immersing yourself in the experience of such a character tells you a LOT about how you live your own life.

If all you want out of literary media is to slay dragons, you're living an impoverished life. Full stop.
Indeed. People like Darks were the ones who complained about women working or, in Saudi Arabia, driving cars. Imagine a game about a woman with a job! Or a female driver in a movie, it's outrageous!

Blow it out of your ass Bludd, don't even try to stereotype me into that cast. You know nothing about me so just shut the fuck up right now!

You did that all by yourself. I suggest you endevour to gain some self-insight. If you want pure escapism, go read a 65 year old comic book. That way you don't have to deal with all these icky girls and, transgendered people and all their issues they which they are apparently shoving down your throat.

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2016, 13:16 Bludd

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 13:05:
Darks wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 12:17:
Bludd wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 11:56:
Have fun living in your bubble where you can cower and hide from the realities and issues of the day.

Science fiction and fantasy literature have always been about real life issues. It's by putting the story in a setting where the trivialities and rules of the universe can be skipped to focus on telling the story, which have always - in the best sci-fi and fantasy - been about the times and people and the world and all issues therein.

Apparently it's you that's living in a bubble, most common people prefer to not deal or hear about this lame bullshit. It does not have a place in gaming where people are trying to most likely place their political views and cramming them down everyone's throats.

Which would explain why Star Trek was such an unpopular and short lived series: using science fiction as a way to understand ourselves and the present is something no one wants. Oh wait, we're talking about one of the longest lived and most popular institutions of popular culture, one which even had an episode exploring what life is like for transgender people, in 1992!

Good fiction writing is NEVER purely escapist, because otherwise it would mean the writer has nothing on his or her mind which the writing is a response to; if you don't have ideas, then your story doesn't have anything to say. When a story says nothing about our lives in the real world, it isn't good writing. That doesn't mean a story needs to be a response to hot button issues, but it does mean that it could, for example, explore the guilt that comes from an irreversible mistake: immersing yourself in the experience of such a character tells you a LOT about how you live your own life.

If all you want out of literary media is to slay dragons, you're living an impoverished life. Full stop.
Indeed. People like Darks were the ones who complained about women working or, in Saudi Arabia, driving cars. Imagine a game about a woman with a job! Or a female driver in a movie, it's outrageous!

8. Re: Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints Apr 7, 2016, 11:56 Bludd

Darks wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 10:27:
I do not understand and will never understand the need to push this kind of bullshit in games. Can't we just have games to play without all the mellow drama bullshit?

It's bad enough people have to deal with this crap in real life, the devs got busted for it and good. Serves them right for trying to play up to this crap.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Siege of Dragonspear Controversy
8. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Siege of Dragonspear Controversy Apr 5, 2016, 11:30 Bludd

007Bistromath wrote on Apr 5, 2016, 11:18:
Why would there be transgendered people in a setting with fairly cheap magic that can fix that?
Magic isn't cheap in Faerūn.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Siege of Dragonspear Controversy
3. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Siege of Dragonspear Controversy Apr 5, 2016, 10:55 Bludd

So what? It's a minor NPC. Complaining about this is like complaining about an RPG where you can choose to play as *GASP* a woman or *DOUBLE GASP* a black woman or *TRIPLE GASP* a ternary-gendered globdrakian with pink hair and 5 eyes.

Also complaining about that "etics in heroic adventuring" gag is just super butthurt. I mean SUPER.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Oct 26, 2015, 15:52 Bludd

A game whose main character has no personality? Is this a Valve game?  

News Comments > No Man's Sky on Late Show
9. Re: No Man's Sky on Late Show Oct 4, 2015, 15:10 Bludd

jdreyer wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 14:32:
Also, been watching clips of Colbert, and he's been killing it. Not that I expected elsewise.
I've been pleasantly surprised by how much Colbert Reportish it has been up until now. I guess they are finding their feet but as a huge lover of the Colbert Report (I've actually seen every episode), I am loving the show at the moment.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 24, 2015, 05:52 Bludd

Have they made the music themselves? Because it doesn't hold a candle to the original NES version.  

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
8. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Aug 21, 2015, 18:20 Bludd

You can write books about the lackluster story and silly DLCs, but there's no denying that the core gameplay in Destiny is fun as hell and the feeling of the controls are pretty tight IMHO.  

953 Comments. 48 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo