Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Laurent Holsters

Real Name Laurent Holsters   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pepe
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 23, 2001, 21:39
Total Comments 107 (Novice)
User ID 11122

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Warcraft Classic Launches
22. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 07:25 Pepe

Quinn wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 04:04:
Frode wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 03:44:
Quinn wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 03:27:
A friend and myself rolled new characters like half a year ago. The "classic" part was pure fucking agony, dungeons included, and we couldn't get to the expansion content soon enough.
Did you somehow play what's currently referred to as WoW Classic at that time, or just roll new characters in "modern" WoW? Because if the latter, the _whole point_ is that that experience is not even remotely comparable to Classic.

I obviously can't speak to whether it would be your cup of tea or not, but gameplay wise they are so different I'd argue they can be thought of as different games within the same setting.

It was modern WoW. But my point is that we just wanted to run through the content asap because our goal was just to level up and journey through the classic part was just terrible, because it felt really old. The dungeon design was much more boring than the expansion dungeons. As you can figure, that complaint won't disappear with Classic WoW. It will probably be worse.

World PVP might bring back some good memories, sure, but I'm fairly certain none of us now older people can stumach the terribly slow pace of the quests and the necessary grinds. After all, most of us no longer live a worriless life in mother's basement.

The classic dungeons were a lot more fun then the new 15 minutes run trough dungeons. You needed to plan your pulls carefully, and they took time and wipes, lot's of them sometimes.

I managed to get in the game last night, got to lvl 4 as an undead warrior, it does feel like old wow which is nice if that is what you want.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World of Warcraft Classic Launches
4. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 26, 2019, 20:44 Pepe

meanwhile over here in Europe, world server down when you try to enter the game.

It realy is the classic experience.

News Comments > CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives
13. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 24, 2019, 20:10 Pepe

Slick wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 18:53:
"GOG.com exclusivity for Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales has them thinking this type of deal doesn't work for them"

Pretty sad day when a developer can't release a product on their own established non-hated storefront because people will only buy from Steam.

Remind me why Steam is the only place people shop again? Oh right, it was all predicated on the exclusivity of Half-Life 2. Even if you bought a physical copy in a brick-and-mortar store, you had to install and launch through steam to play the game.

We can't have a world where a new burger shop could become "The home of the Whopper" like Burger King, because everyone has already decided they only buy food from McDonalds. The best they can hope to do is sell the Whopper through McDonalds, cook it, market it, wrap it, deal with customer issues, pay the farmers, pay the transport, pay for everything, then McDonalds provides that touch-screen computer for you to pay and takes a fat 30%.

The witcher 3 sold more copies on gog then it did on steam (initially anyways not sure if those nr's still hold up since) so there is room for other players, problem imo with gog is that they mostly sell old discount games, which does not help their case to get brand recognition or market share.

Also the lack or DRM is probably what keeps a lot of big companies away since they stand to lose a lot more sales from piracy due to the lack of DRM.

Gog is not the most profitable of shops (they recently let go a lot of staff) now cyberpunk 2077 will most likely give them a nice financial injection, they realy need a better more diverse source of income other then CD projekt red's big games if they want to actually matter.

News Comments > DARQ Developer on Turning Down Epic Games Store Exclusivity
13. Re: DARQ Developer on Turning Down Epic Games Store Exclusivity Aug 18, 2019, 20:00 Pepe

Drayth wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 19:39:
Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 14:35:
I'm going to guess it'll be very, very few.

There will be some. You'll have the people who think to themselves, 'I like to keep my game collection under one roof (as much as possible), and since Epic looks to be the new home for the majority of AAA games...'.

It's what their tactic is all about.

Not sure what you have been smoking, but a lot of AAA games will launch on their publishers proprietary launcher, ie Battle.net, Origin, Uplay, Bethnet. Only some smaller publishers will go EGS exclusively (for AAA games that is) like 2K with borderlands 3, and even that is only 6 month exclusivity.

Destiny 2 is even going to steam, that might have been one to grab if they wanted to make a statement at EGS.

News Comments > Ion Fury Released
1. Re: Ion Fury Released Aug 15, 2019, 20:15 Pepe

That would be Duke3D, not Duke nukem forever, which ran on every engine but build.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: Youngblood Launch Trailer
2. Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood Launch Trailer Jul 24, 2019, 14:04 Pepe

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 24, 2019, 13:53:
Looks good; it's also on sale for pre-release on GreenmanGaming for $24.89... not a full standalone game or something? I have not been keeping track of the development that much, I guess they weren't planning on the full $60 pricetag?

It's more of an inbetween game to keep us busy while they work on the next big one with this one focussing on co-op.

News Comments > Tim Willits Leaving id Software
11. Re: Tim Willits Leaving id Software Jul 19, 2019, 07:42 Pepe

Hoop wrote on Jul 19, 2019, 04:18:
Thanks Tim for all the passion over the years.
Loving slowly working my way through Rage 2.
In awe of the environments & AI.

One of the most dissapointing games ever and not worthy of the Rage IP.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Ryzen 3700x Issues
9. Re: Destiny 2 Ryzen 3700x Issues Jul 9, 2019, 07:34 Pepe

G.oZ wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 05:20:
ForgedReality wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 02:44:
This is why AMD is the cheaper option. They save money by not hiring QA engineers.

So based on this single instance of a game problem, you are certain it is an AMD hardware QA issue and not, perchance, something in the destiny 2 code?

'cause, you know, ryzen 3000 series reviews everywhere, people benchmarking stress testing everywhere and nary a peep about incompatibility issues with common productivity software and standard gaming benchmarks.

I never got destiny 2 to run properly on my intel 7820X without underclocking it, that and the fact that their forums back then were already full with people with technical issues with the game, I'm sure it is not the game's fault at all.

News Comments > Overcooked Free on the Epic Games Store
9. Re: Overcooked Free on the Epic Games Store Jul 4, 2019, 21:27 Pepe

Avus wrote on Jul 4, 2019, 14:53:
Woot, added to my growing library on EGS consisting of only free video games

Same here, the only game I paid for on EGS is Metro exodus, and since this was a physical edition I did not even pay epic for that one.

News Comments > RAGE 2 Roadmap
20. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jun 10, 2019, 19:39 Pepe

DrEvil wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 19:03:
Frijoles wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 17:28:
I'm waiting for them to disable the damn UI interruptions. I don't care what my XP is with someone I haven't met.

This was my biggest complaint by far. I 100%'d the game as far as I know (all weapons, all side quests, all upgrades, etc.) after dumping about 40-50 hours into it. Don't exactly know how many hours since the Bethesda.net launcher and the game don't keep track (sigh).

The game makes a big deal about encouraging players to stay "in the flow" through overdrive and everything else but when push comes to shove it loves taking control from the player and splatting *multiple* near-full-screen showy xp, progress, whatever bars completely disrupting that flow. Even more annoying, when you play with Mouse+Keyboard, you have to use the enter key (as far as I can tell) to dismiss them. Game input scheme seems to be some weird hybrid of typical console game and PC.

Overall, here's my thoughts:

* generally great combat experience
* frequently confusing as hell navigation ("gps")
* boring, barely-existent story
* bizarre, disposable story locations only used once and then no reason to go back
* bizarre boss battle endings where boss corpse would just disappear immediately after end of fight
* vehicle control was bad enough when using Mouse+Keyboard that I often switched to my XBox Controller just for vehicles and then back for gameplay

Spoilery thoughts:

* frustrating vehicle experiences; game claims you can drive any vehicle, but then suddenly you can't (for example, water hovercraft aren't drivable)
* vehicle upgrades are only for vehicle you start with; I ended up collecting car parts like crazy at the end with nothing to use them on and you can't even sell them for in-game currency
* only used BFG twice, at $700-800 in-game currency per shot, too expensive to actually enjoy using
* unsatisfying quasi-cliffhanger ending
* end boss used typical console-game-style boss with targets, etc. unlike all others

Overall, a nice distraction, but this is definitely a single run through game for me. I'll probably play through the rest of the DLC content when it's all available, but until then not nearly exciting enough to bother playing again.

If you use the default controls, you can use spacebar to do most things that require enter for what it's worth.

News Comments > RAGE 2 Roadmap
3. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jun 10, 2019, 13:18 Pepe

I just finished this game and it was pretty lackluster, not sure I want or need new content. The story is even shorter then the one in the first game, granted you can spend several hours doing pointless side missions but those are even duller then the story missions.

I did not even get all the different weapons b4 the game ended, not that it would matter much, the AR and shotgun are all you need.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play?
14. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 16:37 Pepe

Flatline wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 12:00:
Darks wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 11:32:
Bill Borre wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 10:54:
I don't think it will help. This game just isn't very interesting.

This is going to be the downfall of the game, they will monetize the hell out of this game now.

As opposed to the microtransactions now?

I actually don't think this is going to do much. Weren't they giving away the core game for a while? Or still are? I've got like 300 hours in the game, so I've gotten my money's worth, although the year 1 content drop was pretty anemic (warmind was okay but FFS the loot is obsolete now in the core game and they never went back and upgraded the loot).

Giving away the core game and selling the expansion packs/season passes seems like a decent move. I'll say that while I don't like the grind, Forsaken is a MASSIVE content drop. It's just reaching the final package of content. It's dropped with a brief but tasty single player story, like 3 or 4 new game modes including PvE and PvPvE and at least 3 raids that I'm aware of. The original Forsaken drop was lousy with secrets and hidden systems. Not bad for the 50 bucks I think I paid for it.

The problem is that the grind is psychotic and really not that much fun any more. The black armory forge cycle might be the worst so far- grind forges for drops that let you eventually buy a frame. Go grind a bunch of pre-reqs to "charge" the frame, then go grind forges again to forge the frame. I think I've only unlocked half the forges because the grind became mind-numbing.

We'll see what the next season holds. Hopefully the concepts they have coming down the pipeline will be good.

The game itself is pretty good, the grind to get the special weapons is mindnumbingly dull and I have all but geven up, have a lot more fun with the division 2 atm.

I was working on the ace of spades gun in destiny 2 but near the end there is this idiotic get X amount of headshot kills in PVP with a handcannon that I thought F- this.

No idea why a quest line that started in PVE all of a sudden you needed to do PVP and such a specific thing that is pretty hard for someone like me who basically avoided all pvp in that game to begin with.

News Comments > Mortal Kombat 11 Adding Shang Tsung, Spawn, and More
2. Re: Mortal Kombat 11 Adding Shang Tsung, Spawn, and More Jun 3, 2019, 12:47 Pepe

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Jun 3, 2019, 11:16:
MTX DLC for a full priced game? I am so outraged!

39.99 is not what I call a MTX that's the price of a full game. I don't mind them selling additional char's as the game sold with a ton of them but this price is too steep for me for only 6 chars and some skins.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2019, 10:26 Pepe

I had 3 Corsair Glaive, 2 that I used regularly the mousewheel broke down in around 3 months the other one is on a backup pc that get's rarely used and is still fine, but for now I'm done with corsair mice.

I did get them RMA'd succesfully with the stores I bought them from so no loss for me other then time getting it all sorted.

News Comments > More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS
40. Re: More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS Apr 20, 2019, 07:53 Pepe

Slick wrote on Apr 20, 2019, 03:12:
Valve haven't had an original idea for a videogame since Half-Life. Everything else they've pushed out has been bought out by other people who came up with the ideas. Valve is creatively bankrupt, and have been for literally over 2 decades. Just saying, that it's odd for a video game company to not really make video games.

I don't agree completely with this statement, they may have a ton of good idea's, but the way the company is run might make it impossible to get those games made.

A lot of good people left the company because of the weird company structure and their inability to get anything done due to this.

You can get away with certain exentricities when you are a smallish company but once you get to the size of Valve you need to adapt or get stuck in an unworkable mess.

14. Re: More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS Apr 19, 2019, 20:00 Pepe

SabreT wrote on Apr 19, 2019, 18:35:
NKD wrote on Apr 19, 2019, 17:18:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 19, 2019, 16:52:

Competition is good for gamers, developers and publishers.

Competition is only good if the products are competitive. If the price we pay for games doesn't go down, then what's the point? Two companies piling up competing libraries of "exclusives" isn't actually competition, because if you have a product you want to buy, you only have one choice.

In the next two years, Steam will have added/changed a lot of features just because of the existence of the Epic Store. The developers get a much larger cut on Epic than on steam. They wouldn't have jumped ship if Steam were less greedy. Same reason why Bnet, Uplay, Origin exist, to bypass the 30% that steam takes on every sale. Epic will continue to be popular among devs that can't afford their own launchers/stores

Steam does not make 30% on every sale, they only make 30% on every sale on their platform, I know I'mmore of a dying breed, but steam gets squat for sales of physical copies, yet you do get access to steam to play your game. Same for digital sales from third party keysellers.

See this article if you haven't already

1. Re: More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS Apr 19, 2019, 16:42 Pepe

EGS destroying steam is bad because then they have a monopoly.

I'm still pondering on which platform to get the game, might end up going for the X-box version of they support keyboard and mouse out of the box.

News Comments > Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition and Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel Ultra HD Textures Released
11. Re: FREE HD Placebo Apr 3, 2019, 16:12 Pepe

I just tried borderlands 1 old vs new and it feels like a different game for the better imo, it plays more like borderlands 2 now, graphics are sharper, UI scales better, game feels more fluid. It is 12 GB-ish so no huge download, you can import your save files from the old version if you want.

I have yet to try the BL2 HD version, will get to it soon.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Mar 30, 2019, 14:43 Pepe

for me it says it's coming with 40 games, not 16  

News Comments > GOG.com Layoffs
9. Re: GOG.com Layoffs Feb 25, 2019, 21:31 Pepe

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 25, 2019, 20:46:
What the hell!?!? How are they not making more money through Gog!?

Buy your games on Gog, people! Why would you even think of buying from another service unless you had to?

I would if they would offer some recent AAA games, but they don't probably because the lack of DRM, which is all nice and sweet for 20 year old games but not so popular with publishers for new games.

107 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo