Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B

Real Name B   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Retired
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 19, 2001, 17:26
Total Comments 20074 (Jedi)
User ID 10714

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Oct 2, 2015, 17:14 Retired

Stupid Coward taking away from the important article in etc.

Just Cause 3 Will Support Mods…

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
44. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2015, 16:54 Retired

jdreyer wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 15:41:
Retired wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 14:06:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 06:31:
As a police officer, you'd prefer the people you deal with to be armed with easily available guns, or something else like a knife or a baton? Most police orgs I've read about support gun restriction. I'm surprised to hear you say it doesn't matter.

So punish the common person so that the bad guys still have guns? We can make all the laws we want, I would hate to see additional laws created that restrict John Doe Good Citizen from their firearms. We aren't worried about John Doe Good Citizen, we are worried about Shit Bag Mike that has been in and out of the system and the judge's don't do their jobs.

I have been working with the MN State House and Legislature for the past year. I have helped get laws passed (Blue Alert and still working on putting a back bone in the straw man purchase) but all of my comments (including phone conversations with Al Franken in DC) have been that we don't need more laws, we need to put pressure on the judges and courts to use their sentencing guideines to keep the gun violence offenders in jail.

corruptissima re publica plurimae leges
When the republic is at its most corrupt, the laws are most numerous.

I don't think we're too far apart here. Non-violent criminals should be house arrest, and jail used for longer violent crime sentences. I absolutely support Blue Alert and think straw man purchase violations need to be more strict. Do you support mandatory background checks for gun purchases? What about closing gun show loopholes where guns are bought and sold off the books? I don't know MN law, but there are definitely things that are common sense that we can do to make things safer without inconveniencing too badly law abiding citizens.

We'll never be like Japan, where almost no one has guns and the last time a police officer was shot and killed was 1990 (by the Yakuza no less). We had 46 police officers shot to death last year. A minor inconvenience to law abiding citizens to lower that number is a win in my book.

This boggles my mind, maybe other states don't do it as strict as MN does, but it is federal law to have a background check - so not sure where this comes from. I have purchased guns at gun shows, and all laws and rules were followed, I never said who I was, etc etc. I have also purchased guns from private parties from gun forums. I never said who I was, we each copied each others DL, each had a form to sign releasing the other of any wrong doing, etc.

Of course I support all checks. Again, that isn't the problem. George dirt bag is the problem. We catch him with a gun, he is a felon, that is a MANDATORY FEDERAL SENTENCE, which the judges ARE IGNORING.

The checks need to go one step further, and this can only be done through legislation and removing boundaries and barriers of "patient confidentiality". The shooting that happened here a few weeks ago, a rich guy went and bought a shotgun a few days prior to killing 2 daughters, a son, and his wife before going to the garage and killing himself. In a 2 million dollar home. Now his family is all speaking out about depression and what the guy was going through and acting like. He was diagnosed with depression, he probably should have had a red flag somewhere.....but if he didn't have interaction with police, no information is shared by his Dr. GOD FORBID A DR COMMUNICATE WITH BIG G TO MAKE SURE THE GUY DOESN'T HAVE ACCESS TO WEAPONS!

I grew up with guns my whole life. Everyone had/has them. Hell we even drove around with them in the gun racks in our trucks. Not one shooting. EVER.

The problem is so much bigger than "guns" - but again, it is easy to go after guns, because saying that requires no though process and is popular. It will solve NO PROBLEMS. It is a systemic community, ignorance, wanting to be PC problem. The worst of the worst are walking the streets because the judges let them out. Period.

One offs like the shootings of late? I guarantee you someone in their life knew, and did not say anything. We have to get over that. Just like we have to get over the taboo feeling of depression, mental health, etc. It is EVERYONE'S PROBLEM. People need to care.

Once personal accountability is put back into society, why we lost it I will never know or understand, then things will get a lot better.

Even the "Wild West" didn't have the homicide rate that large cities have - AND THEY ALL HAD MANY MANY GUNS! It is a society problem. We need to agree on that and address it.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2015, 14:06 Retired

jdreyer wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 06:31:
As a police officer, you'd prefer the people you deal with to be armed with easily available guns, or something else like a knife or a baton? Most police orgs I've read about support gun restriction. I'm surprised to hear you say it doesn't matter.

So punish the common person so that the bad guys still have guns? We can make all the laws we want, I would hate to see additional laws created that restrict John Doe Good Citizen from their firearms. We aren't worried about John Doe Good Citizen, we are worried about Shit Bag Mike that has been in and out of the system and the judge's don't do their jobs.

I have been working with the MN State House and Legislature for the past year. I have helped get laws passed (Blue Alert and still working on putting a back bone in the straw man purchase) but all of my comments (including phone conversations with Al Franken in DC) have been that we don't need more laws, we need to put pressure on the judges and courts to use their sentencing guideines to keep the gun violence offenders in jail.

corruptissima re publica plurimae leges
When the republic is at its most corrupt, the laws are most numerous.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2015, 13:53 Retired

descender wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 12:56:
Uh... woops?

There are TONS of laws regulating the ownership and use of a car to protect those around you. They are not perfect solutions to all of the things that can go wrong with a car, but they work to keep the average person from dying every time they go out on the road.

If those same type of laws existed for acquiring and using a gun we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

Common anti-gun comments with a wtf thrown in. This is such a mess of comments thrown together that it doesn't even make sense. Not even apples and oranges. You are comparing starfruit with dodo birds.

The average person isn't dying everytime they carry a gun either.....that is about all I can pull out of that....

So we should be able to make our own guns? You can put any frame together, 4 wheels, and seats, and make a car.....there aren't' regulations and all that garbage to keep people safe.....it just doesn't make sense.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2015, 14:01.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2015, 01:53 Retired

Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 23:41:
The US mental health industry is a shame. We as tax payers should demand reform. If you know anyone who has been in the system, treated, or mistreated by it you will know what I mean. I am not asking for the days of old where your crooked greedy fuck doctor could have you committed so that he could add a little extra money to his monthly income. I'm just saying if somebody needs the help there should be something there for them. Shit we give so much money to people who are just too fucking lazy to work... why not help out those in need before they go postal?

Somebody near and dear to me has depression. He has been dealing with it in varying degrees his whole life. He was simply self medicating himself before seeking help. After he sought help they medicated him. Something I tried to warn him about. He felt he had no choice. It was the drugs or a life not worth living. Since they got him hooked on a cocktail of drugs some fifteen years ago his condition has worsened. He is dependent on the drugs. He can't function without them. The problem is he becomes immune to them after several years. Then they have to find another cocktail that works. Which takes time. While they are doing that he is going through a living Hell. Within the past five years he has been diagnosed with severe clinical depression by several different doctors. So the drugs and/or aging has made his condition worse.

If it were not for his mother and her finances he would be homeless or dead. In fact he was told by one of his psychiatrists that he should become homeless so he could qualify for better treatment options. Something I was shocked to hear. I'm not even sure what the Hell that means.

Bottom line from my point of view the mental health care system in the US is all about making money. Like everything else. If you have mental illness here in the US yet have no money and/or no relatives with money willing to help you out you are simply fucked. Why do you think so many mentally ill people end up on the streets?

We give so much money to so many others in need... why are we not helping those with mental illness? I'm not talking about getting them hooked on a mixture of drugs that have side effects like suicidal tendencies. Hell, why are there even antidepressant drugs on the market that cause severe depression and suicidal thoughts? That itself is fuckin' crazy! And what they are finding out is that a lot of these shooters were on those meds before going off the deep end. I won't be surprised to find out this latest shooter was another one.

I deal with mental health issues on the street every single day. Every single day. While this does not constitute me as a professional on mental health, I have a pretty damn good insight to the ups and downs of how things work and how people are treated, etc. Where and how they get help, what works, what doesn't. I involve myself in the Hennepin County COPE program. A program that helps some, but not all. Most have to want to get help, just like addiction.

It is very frustrating, the bottom line of it though, is that everyone is different. Everyone's chemical makeup is somewhere along this ginormous spectrum. What works for a whole bunch of people (the cocktail as you call it) doesn't work for a whole bunch of other people. I have contact with people who have dealt with it their whole lives that could be doctors just because of their exposure to the vast majority of drugs and their effects. It can sometimes take years, and it can sometimes never work.

Majority of our homeless have mental health issues. It is also still taboo in a lot of places to speak about mental health. It is one of the rare situations where your freedom can be taken from you without doing anything "wrong" per the law. It is a dangerous game of trying to help people and not wanting to harm a friendship or relationship.

I don't have answers. I have experience....way to much. I would be happy to see institutions be put back into place and used. It is not the cure all, but it would give help and solutions to the worst of the worst that have fallen through the cracks for years. Could also be used as an outpatient facility to give help to those who need it but don't require a permanent stay. The "system" is so overburdened with mental health patients that they literally ask them when they come in the door "are you going to harm yourself or others", if they answer no, they pretty much kick em free....

Guns? eh. You are bringing in a whole separate issue/conversation that doesn't solve the problem and just takes away from what really needs to be dealt with - not even worth talking about. It is easier to say lets take all of the guns away.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
69. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 01:16 Retired

nin wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 00:35:
Ravor wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 00:27:
I'm tired of hearing about this piece of shit game, and it's like 2 years from coming out still...

You might as well tune out, then. This is going to run for at least another year or two.

Rigs wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 00:34:
Vall Forran wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 00:26:
More clickbait. WTG Blue.

Bugger off then!

=-Rigs-=

Agreed. When this goes down in flames, it's going to be documented, every step of the way.

This is right up there with claiming to have a PHD and the IRC flame war!

/Maybe if he would stop being all up in CR his Alganon game would have done better.....wait...who am I kidding......

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2015, 01:23.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 30, 2015, 18:32 Retired

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 17:50:
I'm gonna Uber-ize Steam Achievement hunting. EZ E-peen Growth, Inc., we play your games so you don't have to!

Already done.

http://gib.me/sam/

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 30, 2015, 18:24 Retired

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 17:06:
Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 10:04:
And that's why you get things in writing. You'd think there might be an appeal here at a Federal level. I'm sure Charter has taken tax dollars to deliver broadband in rural areas. He may be able to go after them from that angle.

Yeah, and when the court cases are done in 5-10 years, maybe he'll get some service. Not because he won, but just because at that point he'll be in the middle of a highly populated area.

No cable company is going to put anything like that in writing anyway. They have absolutely nothing to gain from it.

eh, First World problems. Can't he just teather his phone to his network for faster speeds?

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2015, 15:14 Retired

Blue wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 07:29:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 07:05:
Does anyone know why the Pigskins Pick'em page is showing dashes through the week 2 result?

Everyone's worst week is discarded.

I added it this year. It is a safe guard against missing a week for whatever reason. If enough people want it back, I will turn it off.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2015, 15:10 Retired

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:57:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:20:
Seeing as Porsche has previously been sued about this car and lost (at least the article reads that way to me), I give her a reasonable chance to get some cash out of them.

Memo from Porsche more than 10 years ago:

“I think it is very important that the man who has gone to technical training, at least is consulted before anyone drives this vehicle,” the memo read.

“Carrera GT is as close to a racecar as we will ever get. This car has all the disadvantages of a racecar.”

“You need help negotiating small inclines… You need to be aware of what type of road surface you are on (dips; pot holes, seam heights, etc.),” the document said.

While doing double the posted speed limit is certainly the greatest contributing factor to the accident, having a paper trail like this isn't going to do Porsche any favors.

Well, let us take a look at the driver:

Roger Rodas (born October 31, 1975 in El Salvador) was a race car driver and co-founder of Always Evolving, an auto parts business, from El Salvador. He started Always Evolving with actor Paul Walker.

Can't get any more technical than that! The ONLY PERSON at fault is the driver. Period.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2015, 14:48 Retired

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:27:
Retired wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:18:
Drazula wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:13:
Julio wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 12:28:
The driver was to blame, but hey Porsche has more money so they're going after them. I'm with Porsche on this one. Glad the two idiots only killed themselves and not others.
I haven't heard of a consumer vehicle exploding on impact since the Ford Pinto...

Wasn't it an amateur track racing vehicle? I can only ASSUME it was altered for such and may have had non standard gas as well as other modifications.

At the speed and damage done to the vehicle.....I can't imagine many vehicles would have acted differently. When you crush the gas tank, the gas has to go somewhere.

Gastown? Since I killed Scrotus, Gastown is free of his tyranny!

Drunk2

Without a spoiler, I will just say - worst end game boss fight EVER! The lead up to it was fun, but the end......just.....ugh.

I thought the most fun of the game was the missions in Underdune.

I did spend the time to 100% the game though. heheheheh

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2015, 14:18 Retired

Drazula wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:13:
Julio wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 12:28:
The driver was to blame, but hey Porsche has more money so they're going after them. I'm with Porsche on this one. Glad the two idiots only killed themselves and not others.
I haven't heard of a consumer vehicle exploding on impact since the Ford Pinto...

Wasn't it an amateur track racing vehicle? I can only ASSUME it was altered for such and may have had non standard gas as well as other modifications.

At the speed and damage done to the vehicle.....I can't imagine many vehicles would have acted differently. When you crush the gas tank, the gas has to go somewhere.

It looks like a lot of idiots crash these super expensive cars.

Buy the ticket, take the ride. No one's fault but the driver.

It didn't explode, video shows after 1 minute it started on fire. That isn't an explosion. It is probably hot brakes, hot engine, covered in gas from a ruptured gas tanks. Video also shows a tree and light pole in the median being mowed down. Taking out a lightpole and tree THEN hitting another tree and coming to a stop - that is some serious force, requiring tremendous amounts of speed.

I am sure the speed was calculated by the Highway Patrol when they drew it all out, but that is a very wide street on both sides with a median. Probably was over 120 MPH.

Oh, and the vehicle's engine sits int he middle of it to make it more agile, yet the vehicle has no stability control (duh) as it is a race car.

I mean, come on, look how hard it is to drive!

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2015, 14:39.

News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship
64. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 13:34 Retired

I wonder if Roberts even walks at all.....must use some sort of special transportation device similar but larger than a Segway. I mean, seriously! THE BALLS ON THAT GUY!

As an outsider (thankfully) looking in. This was my first reaction.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 23:22 Retired

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 18:16:
Retired wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 15:32:
descender wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 15:12:
That the insurance companies can hike the rates claiming they "lost money on the single plans" because more people actually used their health insurance... fucking hell the insurance industry overall is the biggest parasitic scum on this planet. How their entire business model isn't illegal just blows my mind.

Easy

In fact. That page shows why EVERYTHING is screwed up in the US. Housing market screwed, weird, they are #3. Banks making BILLIONS while claiming to have nothing, weird, also #3. Can't get out from your underwater/upside down home? Weird, also #3.

Money in politics is THE issue. For virtually every malady. We can't have a proper political discussion about anything due to lobbying money at every level.

I hope you get State Farm to pay out Bats. Is your roof leaking? Can you sue (probably have an arbitration clause or something preventing you)?

Long story short, there is already a Class Action lawsuit started in the area for the storm and the damage. I will most likely be a part of that. I have every right to sue. If it isn't resolved in the next couple weeks I will start with small claims court and go from there. State law says if I make a claim that is false it is fraud. I explained to State Farm that the person that came out did not document the damage I showed him that was obvious - which would also be fraud. So I am hoping that lights a fire under them a bit.

Their tactic is to stall. Insurance is a cash business. They have thousands of claims in Minnesota because of the amount of hail we had this spring. They pay a % of them right away, then they try and get claims reduced hoping people will just give up (my claim is one of those), then they will eventually ok a claim 12 months later after rates have been adjusted upwards and they are once again flush with cash.

It is a total scam. They are known for it. My biggest concern is I do not want to go through a winter with damaged property. It is going to cause more damage. (I have some water leakage and the winter will make it worse)

In the end, the dude screwed up. He claimed my garage (detached) is total loss, but said no damage to the house or roof. I also have pictures of the hail (2 storms within minutes of eachother) that was larger than a 25 cent piece, and the ground was covered with them. It looked like it had snowed.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 15:38 Retired

descender wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 15:34:
I know lobbying is the reason... but like... way back when... How did the first guy manage to invent insurance?

"Pay me money and I may or may not ever pay it back to you when you need it"

Thanks but uh... no thanks?

Yea, and now it is illegal in most states to NOT have insurance on your vehicle and home. I have been fighting with State Farm (I know my bad) for wind/water/hail damage for 6 months. I have had no less than 6 companies come out and say I need a new roof. I have also watched more than 60% of the homes in my neighborhood get new roof, siding, windows, downspouts, etc. I was actually told by the arrogant ass from State Farm that came out that I had NO DAMAGE to my roof. Yet it was clearly visible from the ground.

oh, and don't go and USE your insurance, no sir! Oh, you made a claim? Here, let me just adjust your monthly premiums up!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 15:32 Retired

descender wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 15:12:
That the insurance companies can hike the rates claiming they "lost money on the single plans" because more people actually used their health insurance... fucking hell the insurance industry overall is the biggest parasitic scum on this planet. How their entire business model isn't illegal just blows my mind.

Easy

In fact. That page shows why EVERYTHING is screwed up in the US. Housing market screwed, weird, they are #3. Banks making BILLIONS while claiming to have nothing, weird, also #3. Can't get out from your underwater/upside down home? Weird, also #3.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 14:38 Retired

descender wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 13:41:
Those ER visit numbers will drop over time after this initial surge of people who never would have considered going to a hospital or doctor before they got subsidized health insurance. People are also visiting doctors at a higher rate, not just emergency rooms.

You really don't have a grasp on what happens. FOR YEARS people have been abusing the ER. YOU CANNOT BE REFUSED CARE, and they never pay their bill. Numbers won't drop, EVER. As P said, those who could not afford healthcare still can't.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Sep 29, 2015, 13:58 Retired

nin wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 13:49:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 13:48:
Creston wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 11:53:
It's the radio equivalent of clickbait. He's trolling just to generate headlines, which works amazingly well.

I can't understand why people actually waste hours of their finite lives listening to the moron.

Gotta listen to something during that hour long drive to the office.

Try an audiobook.

I prefer music from XM or Pandora.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Sep 29, 2015, 13:34 Retired

Creston wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 11:53:
It's the radio equivalent of clickbait. He's trolling just to generate headlines, which works amazingly well.

I can't understand why people actually waste hours of their finite lives listening to the moron.

He blamed NFL player Sean Taylor for his own homicide. If you don't recall, Taylor was shot in a home invasion trying to protect his wife in their bedroom.

Her stated
Sean Taylor, great player has a history of really really bad judgment, really really bad judgment. Cops, assault, spitting, DUI. I’m supposed to believe his judgment got significantly better in two years, from horrible to fantastic? ‘But Colin he cleaned up his act.’ Well yeah, just because you clean the rug doesn’t mean you got everything out. Sometimes you’ve got stains, stuff so deep it never ever leaves....Just because somebody cleans the rugs doesn’t mean there aren’t stains. No matter what those commercials, OxiClean, tell you on cable TV, some stains you can’t get out. And if you have bad judgment for 23 years of your life, even if you clean it up, your judgment doesn’t get great over night.

He never apologized and still has this attitude that he is the best in the biz and the world. He is a douche. No one with a brain listens to him.

THIS is a pretty good write up about what a jerk he is.

He is no different than Stern or other shock jocks. He understands what sells and is willing to sell his soul to do so. Total garbage radio.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2015, 13:40.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 01:35 Retired

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 01:32:
Retired wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 01:00:
Skyrocketing Health Insurance Rates Feared as Decision on Premium Hikes Nears

Thank you "The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act".

Thank you for protecting big business and their profits.

Hey, it's not ideal, but it was the best that could be done given the political reality. The previous system excluded 10s of millions who would waste billions at the ER, and was seeing 10-15% increases on an annual basis. This system is an improvement and is showing definite cost controls.

For whom? Healthcare costs go up double digits every year for the past 6 years. While incomes remain flat.......

People aren't buying health insurance. They couldn't afford it in the first place, and they still can't afford it! The numbers are super inflated as they now count those that are on Medicare plans as those that "now receive health care".

People are STILL abusing ER care. They know they cannot be refused care if they take the ambulance. Yet the rich get richer with guaranteed contracts and money, while the rest of us responsible people pay the bill.

40 years ago, a newborn bay bill with 3 days stay in the hospital was about $8 dollars. Today, it is no less than $20k.

1974 median income (in 2013 dollars) was 38k, 2013 Median income was 40k. (bls.gov)

Poverty Rate: (Census Bureau)
1974 7.7%
2013 9.6%

The more you know.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2015, 01:51.

20074 Comments. 1004 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo