Limit Results:

8 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Tounge [sic] in Cheek
Jun 21, 2003, 16:41
Re: Tounge [sic] in Cheek Jun 21, 2003, 16:41
Jun 21, 2003, 16:41

Ok, this thread's dead.

Now we've got bitching about liberals, not that there's anything wrong with that, I do it all the time. It's just better done on a site that's, you know, devoted to politics. Can a comparison of George Lucas to H_tl_r or St_l_n or P_l P_t be far behind?

Not that there's anything wrong with that either. Phantom Menace speaks for itself. And plenty of gamers have compared Sony to the Empire.

By the way, comparing anything to the price of gasoline is a losing analogy. Might as well use airline tickets as an example. Gasoline is most definitely not a free market.

It's not just Blues News
Jun 19, 2003, 20:46
It's not just Blues News Jun 19, 2003, 20:46
Jun 19, 2003, 20:46

Here's the front page at gonegold.com today:

Anytime a publisher suddenly announces that a game is going to ship just before the end of a financial quarter, the sirens go off in my head. No gold announcement, no expectation that this game was going to make the second quarter, and it gets pulled in?

It also appears that even with the game shipping in eight days, the non-disclosure agreement for the beta testers is still in effect. Normally, you want your beta testers talking about the game as much as possible once the game goes gold. That's another oddity.

Here's a guess. This is going to be an ugly launch. This game is so highly anticipated, though, that I'm not sure anyone will care. Just give me my lightsaber. May the patch be with you!

Though Rich LaPorte's health seems to be failing, GoneGold is still a really important site. They have great radar for bad games, both the staff and the folks on forums. They're really oooold, many of them got started gaming with unix mainframes or Infocom. Kept me from blowing 40 bucks on Ultima: Ascension, which was hard to do given that Richard Garriott and I go back all the way to 1983.

Listen to your elders.

Think SOE and the game's designers learned their lessons from the EQ and UO launches? They learned they can make millions despite releasing unfinished product.

Think George Lucas, who enthralled you as a child, won't betray you? Go to Blockbuster and rent The Phantom Menace.

Watch Mikey yell "yippee" as he blows up robots, and ask yourself whether you trust this man enough to give him fifty more dollars of your hard-earned money, just so you can snag the name "Hans Solo" on a server that won't be fit for play for at least two more months.

Hell, wait two weeks for the reviews, so you can at least see what gamespot thinks. If the posters on this board are full of it, SOE will still be opening servers to meet the crush of demand and you can name your Wookiee Chewterbacky on one of the new ones.

I firmly believe that many people buy these games at launch simply hoping that they can snag a cool name like "Black" or "Death" at launch in case the game turns out to be great.

And I say that as someone who snagged both those names at launch in Dark Age of Camelot, which thankfully did turn out to be a good game. But I was a fool to do it.

Tally to date
Jun 17, 2003, 23:08
Tally to date Jun 17, 2003, 23:08
Jun 17, 2003, 23:08

This is unscientific, since much of this is the same folks talking to each other over and over (Creston, get some fresh air!), but so far it looks like 75 to 1, with 2 agnostic, against buying the game.

Well, with the repeats it's probably 35 to 1. Still, y'all got me to cancel my preorder.

On the other hand, no MMO game has ever gotten good prerelease coverage on these boards, and it's usually the same guys slagging them. DAOC launched like a dream but it got trashed here due to the Bluesnews inherent shooter/strat bias.

But I'll hand EB my $50 for Republic, so I only get burned once, rather than on a month-to-month basis.

Re: Good for them
Mar 14, 2003, 22:18
Re: Good for them Mar 14, 2003, 22:18
Mar 14, 2003, 22:18

Well I'll bet this thread rockets to the top of the popular threads list. At least now I can wait for reviews to come out before I decide whether I want to play Shadowbane, and if I buy it won't feel guilty knowing I'm going to buy SWG next week.

Re: anon.24.120
Aug 19, 2001, 21:19
Re: anon.24.120 Aug 19, 2001, 21:19
Aug 19, 2001, 21:19

OUCH!

Blue, no need to post this stuff!
Aug 19, 2001, 21:15
Blue, no need to post this stuff! Aug 19, 2001, 21:15
Aug 19, 2001, 21:15

As the comment on your last AO post said (well, my comment said), they update daily. It's as though you're posting what Abashi says about Everquest on the Verant boards. Nice, but not really "news" to anyone who doesn't play.

And the players can get that news elsewhere much faster.

By the way, AO is getting a LOT more stable. I for one don't crash anymore, no memory leaks, and a lot of bugs seem to be ironed out on test server's next patch. It's ... almost ... to the point where the game reviews which advised people to wait a month or two to buy, well, it's still got problems but it's damned near ready.

Re: These daily updates
Aug 19, 2001, 21:06
Re: These daily updates Aug 19, 2001, 21:06
Aug 19, 2001, 21:06

Actually the game is a helluva lot more stable. Playable in fact. But there's no point in posting the updates, I agree, because players get the updates anyway.

And yes, it blew, but it doesn't blow now.

These daily updates
Aug 18, 2001, 21:00
These daily updates Aug 18, 2001, 21:00
Aug 18, 2001, 21:00

They do in fact make them every day. It's the equivalent of Abashi/Absor chat for EQ (only nowhere near as close to frenzy as Abashi ever was.)

8 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older