Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Noman

Real Name Noman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname noman
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 7, 2001, 16:19
Total Comments 266 (Amateur)
User ID 10577

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
105. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 18:17 noman

Sweeney's comments don't make sense at all. He presents a doomsday (ok, epic-day) scenario of Microsoft dropping Win32, but that's quite idiotic. Microsoft will not retire Win32 any time soon. And if they do, then that's the end of Windows as a gaming platform anyway.

Looks like UWP rubs Tim Sweeney the wrong way for some reason, and he has to invent these outlandish scenarios (in a typical forum-post sky is falling style) to make his point.

UWP is an option, just like Steamworks is, and Win32 is not going anywhere. Epic is welcome to release games directly on GoG, DRM free.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Footage
4. Re: System Shock Remastered Footage Mar 14, 2016, 21:59 noman

Wow, it looks awesome! I was going through the original System Shock with the mouselook hack (GoG version), but this remake looks good enough, that I'll probably wait and play this instead. It'll be interesting to see how they tackle the cyberspace portions.  

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
34. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 13:48 noman

Suppa7 wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 12:41:
The same thing was said when valve put DRM into half-life counter strike. Big things come from small beginnings. Many in my generation said that DRM would never become popular, but it did. People are dumber and stupider than you know. As someone from the first generation of of videogame players. Your comments neglect all that has been taken away from gamers over the last 15 years. The videogame industry has essentially taken away our rights to own/modify our own games and everything is increasingly locked down.

Actually, I'd say things are looking much better now regarding the DRM-free games. Just yesterday, No Man's Sky pre-purchase came up on GoG, which is something I couldn't imagine few years ago. Telltale is another company, which has gone back to offering new releases as DRM-free through GoG. Witness came out with DRM-free version as well. Almost all indie releases now have DRM-free versions - big releases like SOMA, Flame in the flood, Sunless Sea etc.

I attribute a lot of this DRM-free wave to the Kickstarter backed games. It provided a platform for all of us, who wanted to get involved in the DRM publishing discussion about upcoming games, at the right point during life-cycle of a game. Instead of finding out that the next Bethesda game is using the horrible Steamworks five or six months before release, I can actually tell developer during start of game-development that they can have my money right now, if a DRM-free copy is available.

33. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 13:37 noman

LurkerLito wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 13:32:
Remember one thing, you can't take away people's rights quickly or they will fight back hard, you only have to do it in little chunks over time and most will happily give them up. Win 10 is the first little chunk being taken away all under the guise of a "free upgrade".

Win10 has not taken away anything regarding Win32 applications. Not one little chunk.

31. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 13:29 noman

MS could, tomorrow, push an update that makes win32 unusuable in Win10.

That's an idiotic assumption. In fact, it's beyond idiotic.

Fact of the matter is, Win32 is what we call Windows. It's not going anywhere. There are millions of applications, spanning two decades, and it's the one thing that a Windows OS has supported so many years.

Windows store apps are just specific apps that can be shared between Windows and Windows Phone environments. Don't buy those store apps, if you don't like Windows Store. Epic should also cry about Steamworks integrated into PC games, which then means that any such game bought from anywhere needs to be activated under a Steam account and then forever bound to it.

Not updating to Windows10 because of Windows store applications, is also quite an idiotic notion. I actually have no problems running free Windows Store apps such as Weather, Sports (which is actually very nice), or News. When I buy a game, it's almost always from DRM-free sources like GoG, or HumbleBundle, and I back Kickstarter games primarily to support DRM-free copies.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 10:27 noman

Great, now there will be a flood of posts here, all based on idiotic misconceptions, and baseless fears.

The setting is extremely obvious, under "Lock Screen" and will be one of the first things any user will change. You can set the lock screen to show the default lock-screen images, an image from your PC, or a slideshow of those images, or "Windows Spotlight". When set to spotlight, you see scenic, panoramic and other interesting backgrounds. I have it set to Windows Spotlight on one of my Windows 10 PCs, and have never seen an ad. Maybe it'll show up this week.

When spotlight is enabled, there is a selection "Like, what you see?", where you can select if you want to see more of these types of images (mountain ranges, cityscapes etc) Users on the Apple-centric site that has the article, of course think the worst about that option.

For those who can't have a regular bowel movement in the morning, until they can find some world ending conspiracy in free Windows 10 distribution system, none of this information really matters.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 9, 2016, 15:39 noman

3D on a 65" 4K TV is actually a great experience. For 4K screens, even the passive 3D mode works great since the images for right and left eye are always there and are at least 1080p individually.

I am eyeing an OLED from LG (once the price becomes a little sane), and the only two features that I absolutely need are 3D and HDR. Fortunately, the new OLED G6/E6/C6/B6 will all support 3D.

I think, the main issue of dropping 3D is that the broadcast 3D is not catching on. Most people are happy with HD streaming, regardless of how compressed the video stream is. Blu-rays (and all disc based media) with much much superior picture quality have declining number of users, and those with 3D blu-ray are even smaller niche.

The argument in the article that the UHD (4K) picture clarity has removed the need of 3D is utter hogwash.

News Comments > Modded Star Wars Battlefront 4K Footage
31. Re: Modded Star Wars Battlefront 4K Footage Dec 11, 2015, 13:34 noman

The game gets blasted a bit too much on the various forums and gaming sites. It's a fairly enjoyable game in its own rights. However several (and quite vocal) groups of gamers have their own complaints.

First there are those who wanted this game to have the same depth as Battlefield games. There are no squads of players flying through a vehicle - no secondary gunners, allies to be dropped etc. Even bigger issue is that the vehicles are actually power-ups acquired within the game. There are some complaints about the number of maps.

I understand why some 'd feel disappointed at the multiplayer portion of this game. Some of these are legitimate complaints, based on significant gameplay changes from both Battlefield and Battlefront games.

However, the game still offers a simple and enjoyable pick-up-and-play experience for almost everyone, and it's also a wonderful introduction to an FPS (and team FPS) for 7-8 year olds.

The graphic engine is simply amazing and the artwork and sounds are awesome, thus building very impressive StarWars environments. It's so good in these aspects that ironically, a fairly large number of the disparaging comments is about the absence of a singleplayer campaign.

I'd read any negative comments on SW:BF in these lights. I don't know if the demo is still available, but it'd be good if we all try this before starting to bash this game with the usual EA/Origin/Console bashing. It's a fun game, but it does have less tactical complexity compared to a Battlefield game, let alone a Starsiege/Tribes game. It's very accessible and the graphics and sounds are extremely good.

My 2

News Comments > System Shock 3 Teased
5. Re: System Shock 3 Teased Dec 8, 2015, 10:51 noman

Otherside Entertainment is set up by the original studio head and developers at Looking Glass - the people who created Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Flight Unlimited, Thief, Terra Nova etc. They got the Underworld license back and are making Underworld 3.

They are the best folks to make a System Shock 3 game, so it is an awesome development. If Doug Church (the original engine creator and project/design lead for System Shock) can join them, it'd be even better. I think he's working at Valve these days.

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers Issue
8. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Nov 30, 2015, 15:20 noman

I hadn't noticed any issues on two different systems (R9 290 and 7950). Just checked the fan setting and the manual setting is correctly off. Restarted the PC and the settings didn't change. I am not seeing any refresh-rate issues either which someone else mentioned here (running at 112Hz, it doesn't change)

Thankfully my GPUs aren't affected by this problem.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
27. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 15, 2015, 11:52 noman

Great White Shark wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 06:56:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 23:16:
Not true. In addition to that basic feedback crap there is some data being sent to MS that could not be identified by those who sniffed the packages.

You're referring to the Ars article I'm assuming? Microsoft already commented on that. Some of the data is encrypted so that it isn't susceptible to man in the middle attacks. Anything else?

One disables Cortana and searching via web, and Windows 10 still phones home when you click the start button or when you search.

The Ars article you're quoting even notes that is likely a bug. Does it still do this? Have you personally verified it? My install sends nothing when I click the start button anymore and hasn't for several Windows Updates.

Exactly right. I have the basic diagnostic feedback turned on, which has been there for many versions of Windows. I don't see any traffic either when clicking on start button.

The fear against Windows 10 has reached a truly idiotic level. I saw a forum poster complaining that he just installed Windows10, and it installed chipset driver for the motherboard. "Telemetry" has become the most disgusted word for some reason. When Windows pushed an update for "Diagnostic telemetry data for user authorization access", same dire warnings were shared across most tech forums, when all this would have done is to monitor the Windows admin/UAC prompts pop-up scenarios and user action, in order to make those prompts less intrusive.

By the way, I perfectly understand, when someone wants to turn off these diagnostic feedbacks, but it should be an informed decision, and not based on irrational and idiotic fears.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
26. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 14:53 noman

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 13:55:
The Galaxy client is the only thing that makes GOG even slightly tolerable. I absolutely DESPISE installing games and the last thing I want to do after a clean install is to have to manually install 600 games (that's how many games I have on Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG and Battle.net).

Mine is entirely opposite viewpoint. I have stopped buying even $1-2 games on Steam, because of its DRM. GOG's installers which you can download and then save and re-install without any restrictions at all are far far superior to any account locked game.

Reinstalling games is extremely quick since I keep an archive of all GOG bought games. The days where you'd sit for for 10-15 minuntes swapping CD/DVDs are mostly gone.

It's very heartening to see more and more new retail games going the DRM-free route on GoG.

News Comments > Op Ed
105. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2015, 22:17 noman

I see Derek has mentioned Chris Roberts' brother's involvement in the project a few times. However, the guy (his name is Erin or Eric) has been around for a long time. He was lead on Privateer 2 at Origin, and also for StarLancer. I may be wrong here (so correct me) but I think he even worked with Chris as far back as three decades ago on "Bad Blood" at Origins. So his game development credentials are considerable.

In any case, I agree with most of what Derek has said about the project. I backed it at $25, and as long as Squadron-42 comes out I'll be fine. However, medium sized success beyond the singleplayer portion, will make further Squadron-42 type campaigns likely.

I hope CIG somehow get the focus and a project plan to release the persistent universe portion of the game 12-18 months from now, even if it has only third of the expanded feature set that they promised.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian
36. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 19:34 noman

Regarding Pillars of Eternity sales, the game is available outside Steam as well. GoG sells the much better DRM free version, and PoE often shows up in their best sellers list. Paradox is now publishing a boxed copy as well (could have steamworks though), which is available at places like Amazon.  

News Comments > Broken Age Act 2 Next Month
12. Re: Broken Age Act 2 Next Month Mar 25, 2015, 16:30 noman

Awesome news. Looking forward to the complete game. As a backer of this game, I hope they'll go to kickstarter again for an adventure game. I'll back it in an instant, as long as the DRM-free option is there.  

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Dec 2, 2014, 18:29 noman

I updated the game yesterday (after several months) and tried it out for few minutes. It really has progressed quite a bit in that time. The hangar and flight sections both run pretty well. I'll find my old Sidewinder2 and try the flight section again. I was on 2560x1440 at very-high graphic settings.

Really looking forward to Squadron-42 (the single-player campaign).

News Comments > Broken Age Part Two Next Year
8. Re: Broken Age Part Two Next Year Nov 30, 2014, 16:20 noman

Great to have an update. Good luck to Double Fine in quickly finishing the game. It'll be interesting to see, what project they'll (or, can) take on next.  

News Comments > Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released
14. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 14, 2014, 23:50 noman

Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 22:13:
harlock wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 20:47:
anyone remember those bad ass "sex scenes" from Sinbad??

AWWWW YEH

About the only thing I remember from Sinbad is the sword fights with a freaking tiger or something...

I remember the Cyclops mini-game and the hex based tactical part of the gameplay. I think, I finished the DOS version of the game.

News Comments > Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin
11. Re: Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin Oct 29, 2014, 12:11 noman

InBlack wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 11:39:
Your momma! Its not about the downsides. Its about the principles. Im not interested in supporting EA and its exclusive webshop, sure I might miss out on a few cool games every DECADE or so but Ill live with it.

Nothing exclusive about Origin. They sell other publisher's games too. It's Steam which has an exclusion policy where if you buy a game from them, all the DLCs should be purchased from them as well, where Origin is its own DRM platform and can manage the games and DLCs outside of Steam on its own.

Uplay doesn't have this policy, and so it doesn't exclude Origin games from its store.

Unlike Steam, Origin offers full refunds of the game, and has a far more responsive customer service.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
23. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 21, 2014, 18:13 noman

Regarding online purchases, it's amusing how my buying practice is entirely opposite of the often reported "research-at-retail but buy online" model.

Since the big retailers here, like Best Buy and Frys Electronics pricematch major online stores (Amazon, NewEgg and even TigerDirect), I research products at the online stores, and then buy them at the retail store. I have to pay tax either way (except for TigerDirect ) in CA. I get the items immediately and the returns have far fewer hassles.

266 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo