Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Noman

Real Name Noman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname noman
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 7, 2001, 16:19
Total Comments 279 (Amateur)
User ID 10577

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Cuphead Released
8. Re: Cuphead Released Sep 29, 2017, 18:41 noman

Picked up the DRM-free GOG version. It's after a very long time, that I have bought a game on release day.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hob Now Available
1. Re: Hob Now Available Sep 26, 2017, 22:02 noman

Looks pretty good, especially for gaming HTPC, and has a nice price too. Thanks for posting the news item, since I hadn't paid much attention to it yet. I'll very likely pick up the DRM-free GOG release.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Season Pass for Free
16. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Season Pass for Free Sep 13, 2017, 15:19 noman

It's a great game for $5, especially for kids. My 7 year old son, tried mouse-keyboard control for the first time in this game (switching to controller for the flying portions). Best part was when at a friend's house playing Battlefront on his Xbox one, I heard my son saying, "controller is so annoying for this game". I couldn't stop smiling for a while

Kid-friendliness aside, the offline play and the overall quantity of content in the Ultimate Edition easily makes this game worth way more than $5. Online 32 player servers can be found almost any time. Performance is extremely good too on most 1060/Rx470/R9290 or above level PCs (and I suspect it'd do alright on 1050s and Rx460s too) It's a pretty good casual multi-player FPS. For this price, I'd highly recommend it.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patched
18. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 11:36 noman

It's also $24 on GOG, DRM free of course.

News Comments > Gigantic Launches
9. Re: Gigantic Launches Jul 21, 2017, 19:20 noman

jdreyer wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 17:28:
It's actually because you've been gaming since the early 80s that you don't know what MOBA gameplay is.

It's basically an RTS with a single unit that you control that has lots of upgrades and special abilities. Mapz tend to be symmetrical arena style designed for small teams to work together. There also tends to be dozens of unique units, often for individual sale, which require hours of play time each to master.

Thanks! So MOBAs are RTS with single controllable and unique unit.

The only RTS I have played with single controllable unit are the 1998 version of Battlezone and Shiny's Sacrifice from early 2000s. Both are awesome games.

MOBAs do sound entirely different from your description, where each unit (or hero) has lots of unique abilities and upgrades.

News Comments > Gigantic Launches
6. Re: Gigantic Launches Jul 20, 2017, 16:36 noman

I still don't know what a MOBA gameplay is. And I have been gaming since early 80s.

All I know is that these games have "heroes" and "lanes", and besides the literal meanings of these terms, I am not sure what they mean in MOBA context.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2017, 20:35 noman

Steam is one of the worst DRM platforms in terms of the flexibility you are given to use/lend/return the game that you have purchased. Even sharing a game between family members within the same household is done in an idiotic way, where the entire library is locked when shared, rather than the specific game, making the whole concept useless.

I stopped buying games on Steam - even for $1-$2 sales, several years back. I'd rather pay ten times more and get something on Good Old Games, where I truly own the game. Thankfully the prices on GoG are decent and more and more new titles are showing up.

Humble Bundle is another option though their emphasis on DRM-free games is down a lot compared to when they started.

Even DRM platforms like UPlay and Origin, are better when it comes to playing *different* games from the same account on different PCs simultaneously within the same house.

News Comments > Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month
10. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 17, 2017, 15:24 noman

Zanderat1 wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 12:32:
Wait. This is Cleve Blakemore's Grimoire? Still not sure that it is not vaporware.

I think it's Blakemore's game. 20 years of development sounds about right and then the claim that it's the "greatest roleplaying game of them all" is exactly what CB would say. Good for him, that he's finally close to releasing the game.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 9, 2017, 13:50 noman

3D is much better in passive mode on a 4K screen (since you get full resolution 1080p image for each eye), and amazingly good if the TV has OLED panel.

Even if you are one of the biggest anti-3D evangelists in the world, watch 3D on a 4K OLED TV and it will very likely change your mind.

3D movies got a lot of negative feedback early on, since the first implementations were mostly based on expensive and heavy (also headache inducing to some) active-shutter glasses. It's ironic, that when finally the best way to watch a 3D movie (passive 3D on a 4K OLED) became available, the market had already spoken and the 3D TVs are on way out.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 6, 2016, 03:34 noman

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 19:06:
And it doesn't look much better in the GPU market either. 1060 is superior in every aspect to the 480 now that 1060 prices are equal.

No, 1060 is in no way superior in all or even most aspects to 480. I am not sure what your opinion is even based on, considering gaming benchmarks of new games are readily available.

Check out an article like the 1050Ti review below at Guru3D, where you can make comparisons between current performances of 1060 6GB and 480 8GB.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_1050_ti_g1_gaming_oc_review,12.html

In DX11 games, 480 and 1060 take the lead back and forth in various game. In DX12 games, 480 stretches the lead even further.

News Comments > Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10
14. Re: Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 Sep 9, 2016, 01:05 noman

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 20:49:
Again: I'm not touching Microshit's garbage store with a 10 lightyear pole. Not after what they pulled off with GFWL. I uninstalled the store immediately after upgrading, never to be seen again (OK who am I kidding... next major update they will reinstall it w/o my consent but it will fly off the disk again just as swiftly as it returns!).

While GFWL store closed down, that is you can't purchase new games from them, the service is still out there, supporting GFWL games. I have it installed on Windows 10, and it works perfectly fine, still serving out downloads for the game I added to the GFWL account, and keeping track of achievements and other things.

By the way, I consider GoG the best place to buy games.

13. Re: Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 Sep 9, 2016, 00:33 noman

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 20:33:
I know awesome things, and the microsloth store ain't one of them.

And there are about 8 quintillion news websites on the web that I curate myself.
Espn and others does sports just fine.

I sure as hell don't need the makers of Windoze ME, Vista, 8 and 10 to spoon feed me news, monitor my daily calender or offer financial advice etc.

Thanks but no thanks.

Aaha, another one smoldering with generic rage, or may be this is full time parody season in this thread.

There is simply no need to burst a vein on this issue. Windows store and the apps I mention, do not stop you from going to the 8 quintillion websites on the net. These application just simply are few of the best of such news and sports stats collectors.

6. Re: Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 Sep 8, 2016, 20:10 noman

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 19:50:
Bwwwahahahahahahahahaaaa Microshit. Not touching your retarded store with a ten mile pole. Not even for freebies. Not today, not tomorrow.

Nice try. Try again.

This almost looks like a parody of a typical I-hate-M$ idiotic post, and I hope for the sake of poster's mental health, that it indeed is.

There are bunch of great applications which are available only on Microsoft store for now. News and Sports are awesome. Calendar and Finance are pretty good too. Forza Apex is now out of beta and is available for free - one of the best racing sims on PC.

Coming back to topic, as someone else mentioned, the Halo Forge bundle doesn't have the first Halo game.

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
105. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 18:17 noman

Sweeney's comments don't make sense at all. He presents a doomsday (ok, epic-day) scenario of Microsoft dropping Win32, but that's quite idiotic. Microsoft will not retire Win32 any time soon. And if they do, then that's the end of Windows as a gaming platform anyway.

Looks like UWP rubs Tim Sweeney the wrong way for some reason, and he has to invent these outlandish scenarios (in a typical forum-post sky is falling style) to make his point.

UWP is an option, just like Steamworks is, and Win32 is not going anywhere. Epic is welcome to release games directly on GoG, DRM free.

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Footage
4. Re: System Shock Remastered Footage Mar 14, 2016, 21:59 noman

Wow, it looks awesome! I was going through the original System Shock with the mouselook hack (GoG version), but this remake looks good enough, that I'll probably wait and play this instead. It'll be interesting to see how they tackle the cyberspace portions.  

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
34. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 13:48 noman

Suppa7 wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 12:41:
The same thing was said when valve put DRM into half-life counter strike. Big things come from small beginnings. Many in my generation said that DRM would never become popular, but it did. People are dumber and stupider than you know. As someone from the first generation of of videogame players. Your comments neglect all that has been taken away from gamers over the last 15 years. The videogame industry has essentially taken away our rights to own/modify our own games and everything is increasingly locked down.

Actually, I'd say things are looking much better now regarding the DRM-free games. Just yesterday, No Man's Sky pre-purchase came up on GoG, which is something I couldn't imagine few years ago. Telltale is another company, which has gone back to offering new releases as DRM-free through GoG. Witness came out with DRM-free version as well. Almost all indie releases now have DRM-free versions - big releases like SOMA, Flame in the flood, Sunless Sea etc.

I attribute a lot of this DRM-free wave to the Kickstarter backed games. It provided a platform for all of us, who wanted to get involved in the DRM publishing discussion about upcoming games, at the right point during life-cycle of a game. Instead of finding out that the next Bethesda game is using the horrible Steamworks five or six months before release, I can actually tell developer during start of game-development that they can have my money right now, if a DRM-free copy is available.

33. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 13:37 noman

LurkerLito wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 13:32:
Remember one thing, you can't take away people's rights quickly or they will fight back hard, you only have to do it in little chunks over time and most will happily give them up. Win 10 is the first little chunk being taken away all under the guise of a "free upgrade".

Win10 has not taken away anything regarding Win32 applications. Not one little chunk.

31. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 13:29 noman

MS could, tomorrow, push an update that makes win32 unusuable in Win10.

That's an idiotic assumption. In fact, it's beyond idiotic.

Fact of the matter is, Win32 is what we call Windows. It's not going anywhere. There are millions of applications, spanning two decades, and it's the one thing that a Windows OS has supported so many years.

Windows store apps are just specific apps that can be shared between Windows and Windows Phone environments. Don't buy those store apps, if you don't like Windows Store. Epic should also cry about Steamworks integrated into PC games, which then means that any such game bought from anywhere needs to be activated under a Steam account and then forever bound to it.

Not updating to Windows10 because of Windows store applications, is also quite an idiotic notion. I actually have no problems running free Windows Store apps such as Weather, Sports (which is actually very nice), or News. When I buy a game, it's almost always from DRM-free sources like GoG, or HumbleBundle, and I back Kickstarter games primarily to support DRM-free copies.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 10:27 noman

Great, now there will be a flood of posts here, all based on idiotic misconceptions, and baseless fears.

The setting is extremely obvious, under "Lock Screen" and will be one of the first things any user will change. You can set the lock screen to show the default lock-screen images, an image from your PC, or a slideshow of those images, or "Windows Spotlight". When set to spotlight, you see scenic, panoramic and other interesting backgrounds. I have it set to Windows Spotlight on one of my Windows 10 PCs, and have never seen an ad. Maybe it'll show up this week.

When spotlight is enabled, there is a selection "Like, what you see?", where you can select if you want to see more of these types of images (mountain ranges, cityscapes etc) Users on the Apple-centric site that has the article, of course think the worst about that option.

For those who can't have a regular bowel movement in the morning, until they can find some world ending conspiracy in free Windows 10 distribution system, none of this information really matters.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 9, 2016, 15:39 noman

3D on a 65" 4K TV is actually a great experience. For 4K screens, even the passive 3D mode works great since the images for right and left eye are always there and are at least 1080p individually.

I am eyeing an OLED from LG (once the price becomes a little sane), and the only two features that I absolutely need are 3D and HDR. Fortunately, the new OLED G6/E6/C6/B6 will all support 3D.

I think, the main issue of dropping 3D is that the broadcast 3D is not catching on. Most people are happy with HD streaming, regardless of how compressed the video stream is. Blu-rays (and all disc based media) with much much superior picture quality have declining number of users, and those with 3D blu-ray are even smaller niche.

The argument in the article that the UHD (4K) picture clarity has removed the need of 3D is utter hogwash.

279 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo