Eon

"English University scientists in black hole hunt"

Tot Ziens Frans!
Aug 23, 2002, 05:15
Eon
Tot Ziens Frans! Aug 23, 2002, 05:15
Aug 23, 2002, 05:15
Eon

There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling...

Eon

The Games...
Aug 22, 2002, 06:37
Eon
The Games... Aug 22, 2002, 06:37
Aug 22, 2002, 06:37
Eon

Won't somebody think of the games? Or at least talk about the games rather than coming in here to get into a pissing contest with a complete stranger.

I like America's Army - the sense of immersion, and the feeling of satisfaction from having to actually qualify to play the damn game, is good, in my opinion. I like that you actually have to put some time in to qualify to be a camping whore in this game.

I like BF 1942 - the sense of hugeness and interactivity is wonderful. The idea that we can get together and run a combined arms op, or go off and do our own thing - a game in there for EVERYONE!

But they're different games, for different moods.

Eon

DAOC
Aug 20, 2002, 05:02
Eon
DAOC Aug 20, 2002, 05:02
Aug 20, 2002, 05:02
Eon

I went for this game when I heard that it was supposed to be "Casual Gamer Friendly". That somebody with a 4 hour a day habit would be considered "casual" only goes to illustrate my chief issue with these games.

In the end I cancelled my account when I realised that I'd seen everything there was to see by the time I hit the mid 20's - except for RvR which I would not be able to participate in as anything but a ball-gagged Gimp until Level 45.

If you're into the whole community thing and you don't mind the fact that the game is basically a pretty IRC Client, then go for it. Personally I just wanna get my game on!

Eon

Re: No subject
Aug 16, 2002, 04:05
Eon
Re: No subject Aug 16, 2002, 04:05
Aug 16, 2002, 04:05
Eon

Why, it's coming up to 40 years since Vietnam - surely there's little shock value left in it? I think everybody knows, by now, how badly trained the US conscripts were, how poorly led and how bad the overal strategy of the war was. So why not do a game focussing on small unit tactics in that setting?

Eon

Re: halo 2 graphics Vs Doom III
Aug 8, 2002, 12:52
Eon
Re: halo 2 graphics Vs Doom III Aug 8, 2002, 12:52
Aug 8, 2002, 12:52
Eon

Halo 2 will not look better than Doom III...

HOWEVER...

If you bought an Xbox it will run on the Xbox in your house, not on some theoretically posited Xbox requiring nitrogen cooling and the GNP of Brazil to purchse.

Eon

Scientific Complacency
Jul 29, 2002, 05:43
Eon
Scientific Complacency Jul 29, 2002, 05:43
Jul 29, 2002, 05:43
Eon

I read somewhere that there is a school of thought that says that we've just about discovered everything, that physics is going to be limited in the future to putting the polish on what we know already.

Of course that was also the case back at the turn of the last century - and then people discovered electricity and radiation...

Hell, at one point people said that you couldn't travel faster than the speed of sound - because at that speed the air would be solid and it would be like hitting a brick wall. The truth was that all we needed were improvements in our materials and science. I'm sure that this will prove similar - we might not be able to circumvent the speed of light by trying to do what we do now, but faster. But I'm sure we'll find a way to make interstellar travel efficient and possible - because it's either that or die out.

Eon

Re: Delusions of granduer overdrive
Jul 19, 2002, 05:33
Eon
Re: Delusions of granduer overdrive Jul 19, 2002, 05:33
Jul 19, 2002, 05:33
Eon

I've spent a couple of nights playing Warcraft III until my eyes bleed - suffice to say I think it's a great game. BUT (there's always a but, isn't there?)...

It's not original. In any way. The heroes can be said to be characters similar to existing Warcraft games, only with the XP, abilities and inventory system standard in other strategy games like Disciples.

Moreover, the races seem to borrow heavily from Starcraft. The Undead are just Zerg with an undead texture - right down to the creep and evolving colony structures into defence structures business.
The Night Elves have borrowed the mobile colony buildings gameplay - right down to the types of building capable of moving.

It's a good game, but it's not innovative, really.

Eon

On the other side of the coin...
Jul 16, 2002, 04:32
Eon
On the other side of the coin... Jul 16, 2002, 04:32
Jul 16, 2002, 04:32
Eon

I have three "Wolverine" compilations that each rack up into the hundreds of pages. Each of them is beginning to assume that dog-eared look you get from being left on the bedroom floor next to the bed, next to the couch or getting rammed back into a bookcase.

I am 28, employed, wash regularly and am married.

Eon

Re: oh no
Jul 16, 2002, 04:27
Eon
Re: oh no Jul 16, 2002, 04:27
Jul 16, 2002, 04:27
Eon

A velociraptor in a hockey mask?

Eon

Re: lol
Jul 15, 2002, 10:00
Eon
Re: lol Jul 15, 2002, 10:00
Jul 15, 2002, 10:00
Eon

95. lol Jul 15, 06:48 anon@12.230

I read the first four pages of these comments...I feel ten times dumber then when I first came to this website. None of you know anything about Halo and or it's history!

Do you? I feel about ten times smarter - if only relatively speaking...

Eon

Re: No subject
Jul 12, 2002, 08:54
Eon
Re: No subject Jul 12, 2002, 08:54
Jul 12, 2002, 08:54
Eon

This argument can be boiled down fairly simply.

1. Theft is theft. You may not be stealing from the manufacturers (because you haven't got the manual, disk or box they paid money for) but you ARE stealing from the Developers because you DO have the output that they spent years learning how to produce, and that someone paid millions funding them ot create. Whether you've copied it from somebody elses legitimate copy or not - you've taken something that's not yours.

2. Philosophical discussions that ask who's the better man - someone whose morals have never been tested or someone who has been tested and found wanting are pretty bankrupt. At the end of the day one of you has stolen something and the other hasn't - it's not like we're talking rent money, food money or clothers for your kids!

Anyone who can go drinking down the Pub on a Saturday but can't afford to buy the game they'll spend 50 hours playing is lying to themselves if they think they can't afford it. The only reason you buy the beer and steal the game is because stealing the game is EASIER not more morally acceptable.

Eon

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 08:55.

Re: Problems with game :[
Jul 5, 2002, 04:08
Eon
Re: Problems with game :[ Jul 5, 2002, 04:08
Jul 5, 2002, 04:08
Eon

If I've said it once on here, I've said it 10 times.

DO NOT RELEASE AN ONLINE BASED GAME TO THE PUBLIC WITHOUT THE FACILITY TO CREATE SERVERS.

Remember folks, a demo that PISSES OFF 90% of the people that are trying to play it is teaching them the wrong things about your game.

Eon

Re: 1337 Grfyx!!!111
Jul 4, 2002, 11:44
Eon
Re: 1337 Grfyx!!!111 Jul 4, 2002, 11:44
Jul 4, 2002, 11:44
Eon

It isn't actually...

Eon

Re: Doctor Who
Jul 4, 2002, 11:42
Eon
Re: Doctor Who Jul 4, 2002, 11:42
Jul 4, 2002, 11:42
Eon

You'd think it actually hurt them that it got good ratings, wouldn't you?

In general I like the BBC - they produce a lot of quality television that wouldn't get made otherwise. Their documentaries are first rate, for example, at a time when ITV and Channel 4/5 are producing more and more "When waitresses attack", "When Badgers go wrong" and other "Real" Life programs (like that Big Brother nonsense).

In the case of ditching decent syndicated series (both domestic and international) in favour of the Cricket or whatever arse they decide is more important to show though I think it's a pretty bloody poor show.

Eon

Doctor Who
Jul 4, 2002, 09:53
Eon
Doctor Who Jul 4, 2002, 09:53
Jul 4, 2002, 09:53
Eon

Oh yes... Of course, the BBC's inbred planning section and it's illogical hatred of Sci Fi.

And it's not just produced at home Sci Fi either - the minute a Sci Fi show gets much of a mainstream following they immediately reschedule it to 2am on a Tuesday Night to put a stop to it.

Eon

Re: 1337 Grfyx!!!111
Jun 14, 2002, 12:11
Eon
Re: 1337 Grfyx!!!111 Jun 14, 2002, 12:11
Jun 14, 2002, 12:11
Eon

DESIGN IS LAW!!!

<Mr Romero, you're under arrest!>

Eon

Woah!
Jun 9, 2002, 20:12
Eon
Woah! Jun 9, 2002, 20:12
Jun 9, 2002, 20:12
Eon

What happened to this thread over the weekend? It seems that no sooner is nationalism invoked than someone will disinter the moldy corpse of religion so we can all fight even harder!

Ignoring the huge pile of cruddy posts about who invented what, and how America clearly leads the fight against Global Terrorism (I can only imagine the definition of Global Terrorism is Terrorism by the Global Nations against America as they seem pretty disinterested in smiting any other terrorists at present) I want to talk about Real War.

Real War has many bad points. It DOES touch upon logistics - and you can work on many different ways to bring supplies into your base - Air Force, Army and Navy - but it completely ignores most of the logistical concerns of running an Army. Those points are accumulated, spent and refreshed - there is no drain on them from maintaining your existing troops.

In addition the Media war is totally ignored. War should be a matter of accumulating large standing conventional forces to physically hold and defend land and also constructing highly trained strike teams to wage limited offensive war aimed at your enemies logistical or strike capabilities. The side that can maintain logistics, territorial superiority and strike capability whilst also winning the media war wins. That's why wars are fought very carefully these days - it would be possibly to totally win the military side of a war and lose the media side of it, and have your successes made counter-productive.

Real War ignored these truisms - it made you establish and defend supply routes and it made you have to cope with the air threat, but land warfare and naval warfare assets were risible. In addition it allows you to build a nuke - can you imagine a US or Coalition force EVER deploying nuclear weapons against a tactical threat? The possibility is laughable!

Let's leave Real War behind now - as it deserves - and discuss the new FPS being made by the Army.

I think, from what I've seen, that the Military have done a bang up job this time. I haven't seen it running - which is the true test - but it almost doesn't have to be fun. It's a roleplaying game - especially when you add in the 2D strategy game that they're releasing alongside it. The Army only needs to provide a technically competent offering along with real Army flavour, tech and doctrine. If it isn't "fun" that says as much about the player as the game!

Eon

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 20:15.

Do not stoop to their level!
Jun 7, 2002, 05:23
Eon
Do not stoop to their level! Jun 7, 2002, 05:23
Jun 7, 2002, 05:23
Eon

Please, let's not react to the asinine post of that close minded idiot by proving that we can be just as big idiots ourselves!

Pointless bashing of America that uses hyperbole to achieve its effect merely intensifies the argument and brings in a lot of Americans who would otherwise want anything other than to be identified with that sort of idea.

Eon

Re: America Bashing
Jun 6, 2002, 08:59
Eon
Re: America Bashing Jun 6, 2002, 08:59
Jun 6, 2002, 08:59
Eon

If you TRULY are a world traveller, and still consider the rest of the world to be boring then I would suggest you look inside yourself for the fault - you can bet that is where it lies.

Hieronymous Bosche said that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully - he must have known you personally.

Please. For one second get over yourself. America is not the best country in the world at everything - as you seem to think. And if that is true then it most certainly isn't the ONLY country in the world worth living in.

US bashing may seem "trendy, tiresome and laughable" but if you would, for one second, stop to think about WHY and maybe even listen to some of the things that are said, then you might learn a great deal about yourselves. If you can keep an open mind and learn to seperate the untrue (for much of what is said against America is untrue) from the merely unpallatable then you would be much the richer.

It is true. America has done many great things for the world, and she is a very valuable ally. But everything she does comes with a price, and one of those prices in an inability to stop reminding everyone of how much she does, and to expect eternal gratitude for doing things that were in her best interests in the first place.

Pretending otherwise is merely disingenuous.

Eon

By the way - I like the idea of the game, and think it is far better spending of tax money than the 30 second super bowl commercial it represents. Nice to see an Army innovating and thinking outside of the box. Well done!

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 09:01.
251 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ] Older