Total Posts
251 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

251 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 10.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ] Older

Re: Battlecruiser Millenium?
Nov 23, 2001, 07:18
Eon
Re: Battlecruiser Millenium? Nov 23, 2001, 07:18
Nov 23, 2001, 07:18
Eon

Pants?

For a more indepth review I guess you'll have to turn elsewhere tho...

Eon

What you're all forgetting...
Nov 22, 2001, 09:06
Eon
What you're all forgetting... Nov 22, 2001, 09:06
Nov 22, 2001, 09:06
Eon

...is that there's no definite cause and effect between Madia and Bethsoft - it all goes through some dodgy Russian middleman - Buka.

For all we know Buka tried to screw Bethsoft, or got screwed by Bethsoft, and now Madia (and by extension YOU, gentle reader) are paying the price.

Bethsoft could well be witholding funds from Buka for some reason COMPLETELY unconnected to Madia or Echelon, or unconnected to the quality of Dev Team and game in any event.

As for Madia not having the funds to continue development on the patch - well that's fine. Don't continue it, say that you can't because developing patches costs money that you don't have and MOVE ON to the next project. I've seen a lot here about MORAL obligations Bethesda might have in this circumstance - BULLSHIT! Bethesda is a Publishing House which, last time I looked, was a company and not a charity. A deal is a deal is a deal. Buka and therefore Madia are entitled to exactly what the deal they've set up says they're entitled to. Whatever "fitness for purpose" axe that owners have to grind should be directed towards Bethesda, Buka and Madia equally - since they are both responsible for striking a deal that enables proper and timely development of the project whilst ensuring fitness for purpose.

I'm not saying I know anything or even believe it to be true, but for all we know Bethsoft is being asked to fork out extra money to get the Developer to fix bugs that are covered in the initial agreement. Seeing no way to recoup the costs that would be incurred, and maybe knowing that some of this money goes as a percentage to Buka, they might have dug their heels in over this. I seem to remember something about Developers being responsible for ensuring they have licenses for the software that they use - even if their deal means including the cost for such licenses in their advance from the Publisher.

Anyway - this is an emotive subject, but please remember that one statement that's true in this situation is this. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.

Eon

Has it made enough money...
Nov 21, 2001, 10:22
Eon
Has it made enough money... Nov 21, 2001, 10:22
Nov 21, 2001, 10:22
Eon

...to justify bringing the Dev team back to make another patch at this late stage? What's the cost benefit? Staff are expensive, and the Developer needs a return on their salary - will Sierra pay? Will they pay enough for the Developer to be able to do it?

Eon

CD Key...
Nov 21, 2001, 05:59
Eon
CD Key... Nov 21, 2001, 05:59
Nov 21, 2001, 05:59
Eon

UT sold more copies than Q3A because UT had better single play (bots) and more imaginative MP options. I'd buy it on the strength of the Assault option alone. Frankly a lot of the people I game with are pretty sick of deathmatch, and for us Q3A didn't have much to offer.

As for Invalid CD-Key bullshit. UO did this to me, and the cock smokers insisted that I return my CD to Texas or mother-fucking phone them up rather than deal with the problem online. How much bullshit is that?

Helllooooo... If you sell your product in Europe, then you have to fucking support it there too. At that time there wasn't even a single Euro server. Guess which game got returned?

The point of that segue above was to point out how they could avoid a law suit - all you have to do is send your original CD to somewhere, and then they'll send you out a replacement CD and CD key.

Eon

Not saying I've picked sides here...
Nov 20, 2001, 12:42
Eon
Not saying I've picked sides here... Nov 20, 2001, 12:42
Nov 20, 2001, 12:42
Eon

But what part of "unbalanced and false statement of facts" sounds like Bethesda haven't denied what Maida said.

Personally I think the open letter was naive, in that it isn't going to change a damn thing and, as someone else said, stinks up the place.

Please remember that NONE of us have seen the contract, or the events surrounding the issues of the contract that are at stake. It's standard procedure that if milestone issues are contentious that a publisher doesn't pay up for those milestones. If Maida haven't provided promised functionality, for example, or dealt with A class bugs or whatever.

It's also interesting that if Bethesda signed a contract with Buka, then Buka is the one that owes Maida the money. If they signed a crap or impossible deal, and didn't get enough money to pay what they promised the Developer, then frankly that's their problem. Publishers pretty much JUST exist to sign deals, don't they?

Food for thought - but nothing more than ubsubstantiated opinion, pretty much just what everyone else (including Maida and Bethesda) have dumped in the pot!

Eon

What has it achieved...
Nov 20, 2001, 05:05
Eon
What has it achieved... Nov 20, 2001, 05:05
Nov 20, 2001, 05:05
Eon

As I suspected, releasing the letter has simply shifted the focus away from whether Bethesda are right to withold payment and toward whether Maida are right to withold the patch.

Perhaps they could charge a couple of bucks via Paypal for it? That way people who felt that Bethesda should cough up can drop some cash into Maida's hat.

BTW - Don't fret about whether this stunt will hurt Maida's standing in the Industry and affect their chance of securing a Publisher. If they come up with a game that looks like it'll make money, then even Bethsoft would sign them again.

Eon

Derek Smart...
Nov 19, 2001, 12:01
Eon
Derek Smart... Nov 19, 2001, 12:01
Nov 19, 2001, 12:01
Eon

...like him or loathe him, you can always just ignore him!

Give the guy space, I say, if he starts to look like he's getting it right, I'll buy the game. Frankly, I played the Space Combat demo and I think the engine is just unspeakably awful, second only to the interface in its shortcomings.

As much of a miss as I'm going to give BC3K or 4K or whatever we're up to now, it's no skin off my nose if he keeps trying with his own money, is it?

The only question is whether or not he'll get 12 years or more to do one game right...

Eon

A brave but naive act...
Nov 19, 2001, 11:55
Eon
A brave but naive act... Nov 19, 2001, 11:55
Nov 19, 2001, 11:55
Eon

I can't see how it will help the Developers to publish that letter, but maybe this is the last thing they do before giving up on the money owed them.

At the end of the day I suspect that anon's comment above will sum up how a lot of gamers feel - that they don't care who's wrong, publisher or developer, they just want to know where their patch is.

Eon

Re: RE: Germans
Nov 16, 2001, 04:36
Eon
Re: RE: Germans Nov 16, 2001, 04:36
Nov 16, 2001, 04:36
Eon

Actually, he said that Vietnam was a senseless war. Anyone disagree?

And don't be so hard on the Pre-War Germans, given their national situation (remember the Treaty of Versailles) they were bound to vote for the first plausible guy who said he was going to right the wrongs of the past. If even a tenth of the conditions slapped on PreWar Germany were slapped on America, you guys would have been up in arms too.

By the time a lot of the Germans realised what the hell was going on it was far too late for them to do much about it. Police states stifle creativity, freedom, artistic expression, scientific progression and so on but they're great for keeping your populace in line.

Eon

Re: Here's something funny...
Nov 14, 2001, 07:21
Eon
Re: Here's something funny... Nov 14, 2001, 07:21
Nov 14, 2001, 07:21
Eon

That whole ruling is correct. Absolutely on the money. Ironically it would ALSO be absolutely correct and on the money if you DID replace violence / violent with sex / sexual.

Frankly Nations seem to live on a slider between Violence and Sex. Nations like Holland are fairly permissive on the Sex thing, but have few socially acceptable forms of violence. Nations like Britain and the US allow quite explicit violence on TV, but not Sex.

And yet Violence and Sex are the two primary motivators of humankind...

Odd innit?

Eon

Re: lithtech is gross
Nov 13, 2001, 05:35
Eon
Re: lithtech is gross Nov 13, 2001, 05:35
Nov 13, 2001, 05:35
Eon

I must admit that I thought it was a shame that breakable lights didn't make it into AVP2. The buzz I heard is because getting those in the Lithtech engine was too difficult...

Eon

Re: Another Game Review site!
Nov 12, 2001, 04:00
Eon
Re: Another Game Review site! Nov 12, 2001, 04:00
Nov 12, 2001, 04:00
Eon

That attitudes actually about 10 years old where I come from. The REVERSE attitude now, where people passed judgement on aspects of your lifestyle from the hightower of their religion, now THAT'S thousands of years old.

Frankly I'm down with people being Christian - really, that's their business and I'm sure as hell not going to tell them how to run their lives. Provided they don't try and tell me how to run mine!

Eon

Re: It seems...
Nov 8, 2001, 05:03
Eon
Re: It seems... Nov 8, 2001, 05:03
Nov 8, 2001, 05:03
Eon

I would absolutely LOVE to see an Amish website reviewing games for their adherence to Amish Dogma... OMFG that would be priceless...

As for the quality of the review site - well I was so into dissing the prime concept of the site that I didn't get into review style, thoroughness or (dare I say it) correctness in my opinion. I find it's mere existence irritating enough (in case you hadn't noticed) that I didn't want to waste, as it were, extra bandwidth on niggling points.

Eon

Solid Demo
Nov 7, 2001, 05:26
Eon
Solid Demo Nov 7, 2001, 05:26
Nov 7, 2001, 05:26
Eon

But I thought it was pretty limited. Fair enough if the environments are too big for more than one download - although I'd give money to know how many such environments there are in the final game, but endless repetitions of the same mission with slightly different settings gets old quick. The game does seem to suffer from a couple of the old faults of the Rainbow series - notably:

1. Room clearance too tricky. Real SF types don't have to crawl around a building shooting everyone they see through the windows before going in.

2. Fogging works against the player, but not the AI. The AI doesn't care if he's obscured by fogging. He sees you perfectly once you've attracted him, but all you can shoot at is his muzzle flash. Owch.

3. AI can be dodgy. This game relies heavily on AI, and the Soldier AI seems not to be as good as the OFP enemy AI. It'll take more playing before this is a solid opinion, but once I'd spotted them, there really weren't any problems. OFP's enemy AI has disengaged and flanked me during missions, giving you the feeling you're actually fighting against a Russian squadleader trying his best to achieve a mission of his own.

Eon

Nov 7, 2001, 05:02
Eon
Re: Another Game Review site! Nov 7, 2001, 05:02
Nov 7, 2001, 05:02
Eon

#24 / #3 (I believe you're the same guy).

Well, I don't try to tell you what games you should or shouldn't buy, do I? I could do a little site based on rating historical games on their historical accuracy - but I don't.

My worry was that the site owners misguided attempt to "educate" Parents had no balancing view on their page. It is entirely possible that uninformed, but otherwise blameless parents might have their entire view of gaming warped, and start avoiding games that the site owner marked as being "inapropriate".

As for the relevance of the rhyme, perhaps you don't understand that the Rule of Law should be based on Ethics and not on the Dogma of a minority (or a majority come to that).

Nazi Germany was an example of rule by Dogma, not by ethics. Right or Wrong should be determined by an ethical right or wrong of an action, not by the slavish adherence to a dogmatic faith.

As for evidence of persecution of a minority - look at Indianapolis (I think it is) where they tried to make it nigh on impossible for Arcade games with violent and sexual content to be financially succesful, and then went and sat down in front of cable TV! Leaving aside the issue of where the HELL they saw Arcade games with more sexual content than you'd get in an episode of Beverly Hills 90210, do kids require a note from their parents to turn on the idiot box?

Nope.

So Gameplaying kids had restrictions placed on their freedoms that TV watching kids didn't. How's that for persecution of a minority? In addition Arcade game developers had creative restrictions placed on them that aren't placed on other entertainment medias. Arcade owners had to suffer legislation not placed on Video rental shops and cinema's.

And thank you to the nice site owning fundamentalist who finally admitted she doesn't think about right or wrong, but only what the little book by her bedside table tells her to think. This person can't even think about Right and Wrong for herself, but now she wants to tell YOU what is right or wrong in a game? I'll learn my lessons from somebody less close minded - thanks.

Eon

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 05:07.

Re: satanic symbols
Nov 6, 2001, 11:10
Eon
Re: satanic symbols Nov 6, 2001, 11:10
Nov 6, 2001, 11:10
Eon

And, of course, it's only inverted pentagrams that are symbolic of "the devil" or to be more specific a negative focus.

Right way up Pentagrams are morally unambiguous - a symbol of protection. To say that Pentagrams are morally unacceptable is to say that the Cross is morally unacceptable as both are supposed to be positive focii.

Unless, of course, as my esteemed colleagues below have pointed out, you have an agenda of dogma rather than ethics or morality.

Oh yeah - and do you have a problem with Wicca? Because that's religious discrimination, and entirely Politically Incorrect. You've claimed that the Christian bias is less important to your site than helping parents of all denominations (except Satanism, I imagine) choose games for their children that don't send mixed or negative ethical messages.

Don't look now, but I think your halo slipped...

Eon

Nov 6, 2001, 05:48
Eon
Re: Another Game Review site! Nov 6, 2001, 05:48
Nov 6, 2001, 05:48
Eon

#3 - There's a great little rhyme I'll share with you from 1940's Germany...

When they came for the Jews I said nothing, for I was not Jewish.
When they came for the Blacks I said nothing, for I was not Black.
When they came for the Homosexuals I said nothing, for I was not Gay.
When they came for me, nobody said anything, for there was nobody left to speak for me.

Retards aside, and addressing the views expressed here I think that parents should be thinking about a hell of a lot more than what games their kids are playing! I've yet to see a single documented case where seeing a pentagram on the floor of a game environment damaged somebody, and I would say that the dire gameplay is a far more compelling reason to avoid Black and White than distaste over the concept. On the contrary the concept is one of the things that Black and White has going for it!

Eon

Nov 5, 2001, 10:45
Eon
Re: Another Game Review site! Nov 5, 2001, 10:45
Nov 5, 2001, 10:45
Eon

Ladies and Gentlegerms, I bring you THE THOUGHT POLICE!

These are probably the same guys that think CounterStrike causes school shootings and Flight Sim 2000 is responsible for the WTC attack.

:/

Eon

Re: Millions
Oct 31, 2001, 09:55
Eon
Re: Millions Oct 31, 2001, 09:55
Oct 31, 2001, 09:55
Eon

Mr. 91, you clearly have no idea of the financial pressures facing PC Developers.

Console development is a much more attractive finanical prospect - which is why I'm betting you'll see very few big budget PC Only titles entering development in the near future.

Eon

Re: PC/Mac Halo
Oct 31, 2001, 09:52
Eon
Re: PC/Mac Halo Oct 31, 2001, 09:52
Oct 31, 2001, 09:52
Eon

The biggest issue, I would imagine, will be making the Graphics Engine run to spec on non-NVIDIA hardware. Seeing as the X-Box game only has to worry about the GeForce III, it could be interesting to see how big a job that actually is!

Eon

251 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 10.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ] Older