251 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ] Older

Obelisks
Mar 19, 2002, 04:28
Eon
Obelisks Mar 19, 2002, 04:28
Mar 19, 2002, 04:28
Eon

Apparently Obelisks, in fact, represent Protection and are used to break up actual and spiritual storms by piercing the clouds.

There you have it people - as Freud would say, sometimes a cigar is JUST a cigar.

Eon

Re: Obelisks
Mar 18, 2002, 13:56
Eon
Re: Obelisks Mar 18, 2002, 13:56
Mar 18, 2002, 13:56
Eon

Well, if Obelisks represent the male organ, guess what church doors represent? That's right...

Eon

Re: Those game titles in full:
Mar 18, 2002, 08:37
Eon
Re: Those game titles in full: Mar 18, 2002, 08:37
Mar 18, 2002, 08:37
Eon

I think somebody's suggesting that the word Dark is overused in Game titles these days.

Eon

Tell me another...
Mar 14, 2002, 04:57
Eon
Tell me another... Mar 14, 2002, 04:57
Mar 14, 2002, 04:57
Eon

Oh yeah, frenzied interest in the first playable demo release of a new FPS is completely unprecedented... <rolls eyes>

And why is it so wrong to set up a LAN server so we can experience the game to the fullest? Pshaw, sir.

Eon

Objective review
Mar 14, 2002, 04:54
Eon
Objective review Mar 14, 2002, 04:54
Mar 14, 2002, 04:54
Eon

The game seems to work pretty much okay on my machine, except for a couple of lock ups - and I'd expect that on even a late beta. Not easy to tell how bad the game is from frequency of lockups - that could be a hundred rare occurence problems or just the one frequent occurence one. Tough to tell.

I'll say right now that the game is UGLY. The models are ugly, the environments are disgracefully low poly. Yuck.

The gun sound effects are quite nice, I think the recoil is over done - personally, your mileage may vary on that point.

The guns add a great deal to the teamplay - it only happened once, but I got shot and lost my gun. The medic came along, healed me and ditched a spare weapon he'd found somewhere for me. I REALLY felt like protecting that guy, I can tell you!

The netcode was... ...interesting... ...even when I found a purportedly low ping server, it was generally a lag ballet when I got in. Some work needed to be done here, and I don't see what's going to drag me away from Ghost Recon and MOH:AA as the two extremes of this sort of gaming, to be honest.

Eon

Free 7 Day trial.
Mar 13, 2002, 05:03
Eon
Free 7 Day trial. Mar 13, 2002, 05:03
Mar 13, 2002, 05:03
Eon

I can really recommend the 7-Day trial. I tried it, decided I didn't like it after about 5 or 6 hours of play and cancelled my account.

I'm sure there are those of you who enjoy it - and the trail period is a very honest way of letting people make up their own mind. Bottom line, I have little good to say about their product, but nothing bad to say about Funcom as a result of my test.

Eon

Thin end of wedge
Mar 9, 2002, 04:59
Eon
Thin end of wedge Mar 9, 2002, 04:59
Mar 9, 2002, 04:59
Eon

I have sympathy for anyone who's life is touched by such tragedy, but surely the soloution is to get a third party company to provide an overlay interface that can be used in all games.

It would be next to impossible to cater for every disability, and catering for one just because they're rich enough to have a governmental focus group, but not the others, is as biased as catering to nobody.

Can you imagine the added complexity required to deal with a wide range of hearing, sight and motion related disabilities? Where does the line get drawn?

I don't understand how this can be anything but a financial decision. After all, the peoples of the Netherlands can't sue everyone because not all games come with a Dutch full localisation. The peoples of Germany didn't sue to ensure that most games DO come with a full German localisation - as games sold to a wider audience it just became economically feasible to insist on it.

Legislation such as you propose has no place in the entertainment industry. We are not talking about wrecking someone's quality of life, we are talking about excluding them from a hobby. Deaf people are already excluded from several branches of the media - why should games be subject to legislation when the music, opera and theatre industries aren't?

Eon

Re: shooting games do train for violence
Mar 9, 2002, 04:45
Eon
Re: shooting games do train for violence Mar 9, 2002, 04:45
Mar 9, 2002, 04:45
Eon

Shooting games can teach concepts like leading a moving target. However they are of less use in training how to KILL than they are in training how to AVOID being killed.

As far as I understand, the US military is using 3D FPS in order to teach Teamwork, Tactics, Use of Cover and other concepts. Playing a FPS will NOT make you a marksman, for the reasons already given. It will not steady your hands. It will not teach you how to correctly hold your firearm. It will not teach you how to correctly use your sighting system. It will not teach you how to correctly compensate for recoil, wind or any of the other complex factors that affect shot placement.

Eon

Social pressures.
Mar 8, 2002, 07:23
Eon
Social pressures. Mar 8, 2002, 07:23
Mar 8, 2002, 07:23
Eon

The social pressures to conform to some assinine 1950's stereotype of what a "High School Kid" should be like is certainly something to start with in the Columbine case.

Of course it would be nuts to suggest that those pressures MADE those kids do what they did - but they sure as hell dangled a big target in front of them. These kids didn't attack Preachers, Parents or Policemen. They didn't even go after Teachers especially - who could have stopped them from heading for the Faculty area during a recess? Or the Principals office?

They took their wrath out on the school.

What the hell were mentally unstable civilians doing with guns, you might ask? And how can we stop it from happening again? And why did they target their school?

Nahhh... Far easier to ban videogames.

Eon

Feeling of relief
Mar 6, 2002, 10:34
Eon
Feeling of relief Mar 6, 2002, 10:34
Mar 6, 2002, 10:34
Eon

I'm so profoundly relieved to at least hear some sense coming out of a court of law. Those two guys were horrifically disturbed, and if you want to point a finger at any contributory cause, it might be upon the institutionalised brutality that passes for a highschool education.

Frankly games are what probably stopped them going "pop" earlier as it has been proved that RPG's and Computer Games provide a cathartic release valve for anti-social behaviour.

Nut jobs are nut jobs, no matter WHAT media they've been exposed to, inspirational media merely shapes the form of their acting out, rather than converting two choir boys into hells angels. The question that needs to be asked here is not WHY the guy named his gun Arlene, but why he was allowed to own such devices of pain and death in the first place. Personally I don't see a need for firearms in civilian hands, but then I'm a product of my environment - just as they were...

Eon

Re: Sigh
Mar 5, 2002, 04:54
Eon
Re: Sigh Mar 5, 2002, 04:54
Mar 5, 2002, 04:54
Eon

I AM a little concerned that we're already in March and they STILL don't have a more concrete release date than "Spring".

Traditionally when Release dates are given as exact dates they're usually complete fabrications. When they're given as Beginning, Mid or Late of a month then they're reasonably reliable, and when they're given as Q1, Q2, Q3 or Q4 then the team is over deadline and still slipping.

We'll see, I guess...

Eon

HRH Phil the Greek...
Mar 4, 2002, 09:11
Eon
HRH Phil the Greek... Mar 4, 2002, 09:11
Mar 4, 2002, 09:11
Eon

Calling them Gaffe's seems, to me, to suggest that he didn't mean to say exactly what came out of his mouth. I get the impression that Prince Philip doesn't really like people all that much, and doesn't feel the need to suffer fools gladly.

It IS good to have at least one person in a position of power who doesn't feel the need to be politically correct, and isn't afraid to speak his mind. I'm not sure that makes him a good diplomat, though.

Eon

BC:M could learn a lot from ST:BC
Feb 28, 2002, 08:54
Eon
BC:M could learn a lot from ST:BC Feb 28, 2002, 08:54
Feb 28, 2002, 08:54
Eon

It's certainly a hefty feat to produce ANYTHING as a smalltime Developer, with no Publisher and no advance whatsoever. I don't know how Derek keeps his team working - no matter his other faults he must be a great man-manager.

I wouldn't be quick to say that BC:M is selling well though, they have less Marketing overhead (travesty that the world is, that often exceeds the cost of making the damn game these days!) and don't have to jump through the insanely expensive retail hoops - but a game that size costs a MINT to make. I'm note sure they've made that mint back on a nice PC only title.

As far as my original title went, I'm agreeing with the chap who said he thought the interface was poorly designed. I quite liked the Star Trek Bridge Commander interface, where you set up the targets, give the TacOps guy a rough Rules of Engagement profile and let him get on with it. There are a whole bunch of things to be done on a Starship without aiming and firing every single gun!

I tried the Starship combat demo of BC3K and found that the ships combined the speed of fighters with the maneuverability of OilTankers. This made combat pretty difficult.

As for the rest of the feature list, I hear that most everything is in, but that if you operate outside of scripted bounds it's a pretty sterile experience. That's the perennial problem - Elite:Frontier anyone? A whole galaxy of the same 8 experiences...

Eon

Re: Yeah!
Feb 27, 2002, 10:57
Eon
Re: Yeah! Feb 27, 2002, 10:57
Feb 27, 2002, 10:57
Eon

Nope... Largely because this game is irrelevant when people are considering the release to come, and the recent crop of very fine games like MoH:AA and so forth.

You want to see a great game by a small company, it's called uplink by Introversion software.

Talk about how to release a STABLE product by adhering to a REALISTIC fetaure set.

Eon

What's with the hostility...
Feb 22, 2002, 05:27
Eon
What's with the hostility... Feb 22, 2002, 05:27
Feb 22, 2002, 05:27
Eon

If their preview is anythign like those Gameshrimp guys it's hilarious - their Medal of Honour one was hilarious.

Eon

Re: Release Date
Feb 20, 2002, 12:20
Eon
Re: Release Date Feb 20, 2002, 12:20
Feb 20, 2002, 12:20
Eon

LOL @ Blake's Seven reference... Could you steal the Clippie the Paperclip code from Microsoft, marry it to the finest sarcasm the BBC can muster and use it to simulate Orac?

"Call those tactics? A three year old child could formulate a sounder plan of action! Huge surprise! Our mentally deficient Captain has been outfought again!"

Pukka!

Eon

Re: No subject
Feb 20, 2002, 07:11
Eon
Re: No subject Feb 20, 2002, 07:11
Feb 20, 2002, 07:11
Eon

Much like Rebellion's masterpiece, you have to take the game into your own hands to ensure a balanced experience.

Deathmatch? Yaaaaaaaaaaaawn... Isn't everyone OVER that by now? Like most of the recent releases AVP2's MP really shines when a trio of nervous Marines must try and make it to the APC with a pair of tricky Aliens stalks them.

I actually feel that the game has SUFFERED for its attempt to balance Aliens/Predators/Marines as equal creatures.

Eon

I enjoyed it...
Feb 20, 2002, 05:10
Eon
I enjoyed it... Feb 20, 2002, 05:10
Feb 20, 2002, 05:10
Eon

I admit that might not be a reason to buy it if it's not the sort of thing you're interested in, but I love Capital Ship combat sims, especially in space, and I enjoyed the level this one was pitched at.

I've been looking for a game that didn't require me to micro-manage - and this finally seems to be it. The Tactical officer seemed to do a decent job of running his end of the show, leaving me scoot between helm, engineering and tactical to shape the higher level tactics.

Not sure if it'll get old fast - but given how damn cheap games are, it's likely to be worth the money. Unless you expect to get 100 hours of gameplay out of your £25 of course...

Eon

Whjatwhatwhat WHAT??!
Feb 19, 2002, 12:28
Eon
Whjatwhatwhat WHAT??! Feb 19, 2002, 12:28
Feb 19, 2002, 12:28
Eon

Please excuse my "Kyle's Mom" impression, but how the holy monkey can you excuse that last post?

How can you feel something has "not really have added to the games quality" and yet thought "it's really cool and I want to see it in other games"?

And how can you say that Bullet Time wasn't a part of Max Payne's gameplay?!!!

The whole damn thing revolved around using Bullet time to clear corners, and shoot rooms full of bad guys before they really had time to get you. Shoot dodging alone was gameplay defining, but how about going into Bullet Time slowmo, stepping around a corner and putting bullets into three propane tanks, before stepping back and avoiding the ensuing mayhem?

Jeez...

Eon

How do you win?
Feb 19, 2002, 05:08
Eon
How do you win? Feb 19, 2002, 05:08
Feb 19, 2002, 05:08
Eon

If you don't release anything, you're aloof, and if you send something out then you're a hype whore.

If people are keen to print stuff, and constantly chase the PR peeps, then the PR peeps will feel the need for new and updated stuff to send out.

251 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ] Older