Total Posts
6477 (Guru)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

6477 Comments. 324 pages. Viewing page 324.
Newer [  1    309  310  311  312  313  314  315  316  317  318  319  320  321  322  323  324  ] Older

File Retreat Failing
Sep 10, 2001, 17:54
Quboid

File Retreat Failing Sep 10, 2001, 17:54
Sep 10, 2001, 17:54
 Quboid

File Retreat says "STOP LEACHING - bad host www.bluesnews.com", although the bnews link goes to their download page, not to the exact file. It could be Opera, which doesn't use HTTP_REFERER quite right...

EDIT: Just tried IE and it works, now downloading at an impressive 4.81Kb/s (just for the guy who said 25Kb/s as if it was bad)

Cheers,
Xain

War doesn't decide who's right - just who's left.
This comment was edited on Sep 10, 17:58.

Re: Poor nVidia
Sep 9, 2001, 12:30
Quboid

Re: Poor nVidia Sep 9, 2001, 12:30
Sep 9, 2001, 12:30
 Quboid

--Playing a little operation flashpoint I see.

What, you mean my sig? Had it before Op-FP came out. Now on the Op-FP forums I look unoriginal - coping my sig out of the death quotes

I actually read it first on the Unix fortune cookie program and thought it sounded clever and witty. *shrug*

Cheers,
Xain

Re: Why a demo?
Sep 6, 2001, 07:52
Quboid

Re: Why a demo? Sep 6, 2001, 07:52
Sep 6, 2001, 07:52
 Quboid

I'm an action fan and I don't have it.

I've heard many bad things about it, so a demo is an ideal way for me to check it out first.

But then they release a 130Mb demo, which takes over 12 hours do download on my connection

Cheers,
Xain

Re: 3rd person is cheezy
Sep 5, 2001, 18:08
Quboid

Re: 3rd person is cheezy Sep 5, 2001, 18:08
Sep 5, 2001, 18:08
 Quboid

Found it!
http://www.maxpayneheadquarters.com/
under the mods section.

It doesn't look like it can be turned on and off, which is a shame.

Cheers,
Xain

Sep 5, 2001, 17:43
Quboid

Re: 3rd person is cheezy Sep 5, 2001, 17:43
Sep 5, 2001, 17:43
 Quboid

Where can I download the 1st person mod?

Can it be turned on and off in play?

I don't know any Max Payne fan sites, apart from www.planetmaxpayne.com, which didn't take too much gray matter to guess, but it seems rather out dated with much pre-release stuff (look at their weapons section for example - it says there is little info yet, but more should be releaved at E3) and the files section only has the 1.01 patch.

Cheers,
Xain

Sep 5, 2001, 17:07
Quboid

Re: 3rd person is cheezy Sep 5, 2001, 17:07
Sep 5, 2001, 17:07
 Quboid

This is why I haven't bought it - I've always hated 3rd person games (although I've never really given them a chance). I didn't know about this mod though - I'll have to check that out.

Cheers,
Xain

Oh...
Sep 4, 2001, 10:42
Quboid

Oh... Sep 4, 2001, 10:42
Sep 4, 2001, 10:42
 Quboid

I thought this was based of the Adams family hand, called Thing, which was about as scary as a hand puppet (co-incidently...)

Maybe it's a more serious game than I thought.

Cheers,
Xain

Poor nVidia
Sep 3, 2001, 19:35
Quboid

Poor nVidia Sep 3, 2001, 19:35
Sep 3, 2001, 19:35
 Quboid

Yep, you read that subject right...

What can they do? They can't help it (much) if no one supports their new technology and they're getting competition from Radeon now. They have to keep releasing new stuff to keep themselves on top, while ultimately 70% of the new stuff they release is useless for the next 3 years.

Of course they could lower the prices so more people have their cards and more developers support new features, but that means less profit (per card at least).

I do think this is overdoing it - I feel they could improve other stuff before adding more performance. But with things like drivers it's not a case of improve this or that - it's two different teams.

They could juggle things and make better products, but let's face it, they're in this for the money and that's what they'll get. I can't really blame them for this, especially with ATi's upcoming 8500s. They are a profit making business and while of course I'd prefer a more charitable business style, I think it's rather idealistic to expect anything else.

I don't think I'll upgrade my GeForce 3 (GTS?) quite yet...

Cheers,
Xain

Half life???
Sep 1, 2001, 11:07
Quboid

Half life??? Sep 1, 2001, 11:07
Sep 1, 2001, 11:07
 Quboid

What is the big deal about Half Life? Every review seems to rate it as best ever - to me it's little more than good. There are many better single player games, like NOLF, SoF and Deus Ex, not to mention the newish reality genre with games like Op-FP (Operation Flashpoint) being stupidly good compared to HL.

I've never taken to Counter Strike either - for arcade deathmatch I play Quake 3, for more realilistic deathmatch I play, you guessed it, Op-FP.

Half Life has become a bandwagon, handy to jump on and drool over, much like Pearl Harbor (OK film) and Daktania (OK game) became bandwagons for negative reviews.

Cheers,
Xain

Bah!
Aug 30, 2001, 10:24
Quboid

Bah! Aug 30, 2001, 10:24
Aug 30, 2001, 10:24
 Quboid

Gigantic tidal wave in the Atlantic? Geez, and Deep Impact was just on BBC1 a few days ago - prophetic or what? If it makes you feel any less scared, look up Deep Impact on IMDB and see just how unrealilistic that movie is ... if you didn't aready know. Alway, according to BBC news online, this won't be for at least a hundred years.

And yeah, I got that banner only problem, but I decided not to mail as I knew everyone would (unless everyone decided that, in which case I should - unless everyone else decided that)...

My guess is the somehow an HTML error occured, so the news table didn't have the correct endings. This often causes the entire table to not be displayed, at least in browsers that follow HTML standards...

Cheers,
Xain

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 10:27.

Re: Here's the testicle story
Aug 29, 2001, 19:28
Quboid

Re: Here's the testicle story Aug 29, 2001, 19:28
Aug 29, 2001, 19:28
 Quboid

Yeah, that's a quote. So?

And yes, I got the quote wrong *blush* and lost all the cleverness. I probably typed it at 2 in the morning. I wonder where else I've misquoted. I wish I could remember who said it...

Cheers,
Xain

Society today.
Aug 29, 2001, 16:43
Quboid

Society today. Aug 29, 2001, 16:43
Aug 29, 2001, 16:43
 Quboid

A society where school children kill their class mates is a sad thing. A society that seeks blame and picks the handiest objects is, in my opinion, worse. I understand the family's upset as much as anyone who hasn't been in their situation can, but blaming innocent parties isn't the way to solve anything. So what if the killers had these games in there possession? I would guess a fair percentage of teenage males in developed countries have played games like Doom extensively - I have many FPS titles in my collection, and I'm a perfectly sane person.

I think the problem was with the children who commited the crime, although I would be interested to know what the parents were like. Were they unemployed, alcoholics and/or abusive? I don't know, but if so they must carry much of the blame. I want to make this clear: I don't know. I am not saying they were and I do not mean to accuse them of bad parenting. I do believe much of youth crime and unrest lies with unfit parents, but in this particular case I don't know the details enough to say either way.

Taking a step back from the games I play and have played, I realise the objectives and activities in the games may seem incredibly violent, but I for one, and I belive every other gamer, including the Columbine gunmen, just see them as computer generated pictures. Even if it's controlled by another human in another room, city or country, it's still just a collection of colours. I may even call them by human names, or describe their injuries and body parts by human terms - even in this passage I give them a human quality by using words like them and their, but I still do not consider them to be at all real and I never will, regardless of the realilism future technologies like virtual reality gear will eventually bring. Of course, I don't know how everyone's mind works, particularly the minds of the gunmen. Maybe they did see the CGI characters as real - but if this was the case, then the problem is with the player, not the game.

One thing I disagree with on the gamers side is the claim that it releases stress or anger, making violence against real people or objects less likely. To me it's completely disconnected.

What is possibly worst about the entire affair is how some politicians who are using these deaths as a handle for popularity and votes. By misinforming parts of the public who have little knowledge of the gaming world they can take a strong stance for limiting or even banning violent computer games and look like heros.

Sorry about making this so long - I just started typing and couldn't stop as I feel so strongly about this whole subject.

Thanks for reading,
Rob Cunningham.

Cheers,
Xain

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 19:29.

Re: Here's the testicle story
Aug 29, 2001, 14:18
Quboid

Re: Here's the testicle story Aug 29, 2001, 14:18
Aug 29, 2001, 14:18
 Quboid

That's not it - thats a follow up that has been posted twice already.

Cheers,
Xain

War doesn't decide who's right - just who's wrong.

WTF?
Aug 29, 2001, 12:14
Quboid

WTF? Aug 29, 2001, 12:14
Aug 29, 2001, 12:14
 Quboid

I still don't have a clue what this story is... I tried search.news.yahoo.com but I only got the Peruvian guy (oooooh).

Not sure I want the link though

Cheers,
Xain

Opera!
Aug 28, 2001, 07:33
Quboid

Opera! Aug 28, 2001, 07:33
Aug 28, 2001, 07:33
 Quboid

Bah! Who wants to be stuck in the sheckles of Microsoft's monopolistic practices - if this is true it's just the tip:
I wouldn't install the new IE right now. I read in a mag that Microsoft cut support for several Java/Netscape stuff and stuff like the Quicktime Plug-in. They are now exclusively using their ActiveX stuff, so they force developers to release new plug-ins for their code.

What's wrong with Opera 5.12 (www.opera.com)? It's about the only mainstream browser that actually parsed HTML correctly! I used Netscape 4, but it got outdated and I didn't like Mozilla or Net6 so I changed and I haven't looked back.

Cheers,
Xain

No subject
Aug 24, 2001, 09:05
Quboid

No subject Aug 24, 2001, 09:05
Aug 24, 2001, 09:05
 Quboid

Good point - Theif 1 and 2 deserve a mention - I don't actually have them as I hated theif 1 demo (most because it crawled on my computer) and could never get into them, but I do recognise the quality of them - guess it's people like me who sent Looking Glass bust - sorry!

Also System Shock 2, which is sitting in a drawer beside me after only the first mission played and Aliens Vs Predator which I also couldn't get very far in - because they are both too atmospheric it's beyond fun and downright horrible - I felt too bad to continue (although I do have various anxiety medical probs, but still)!

Edit: I also didn't mean Op-FP's graphics are bad - just don't expect specular lighting on the models (although the shading on soldiers is good - maybe that's specular lighting, I don't even know what spec lighting is ). It is a little sparse, but I don't think it's too bad and for the size of the levels it's well worth it.

Cheers,
Xain

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 09:08.

FPS games
Aug 23, 2001, 08:27
Quboid

FPS games Aug 23, 2001, 08:27
Aug 23, 2001, 08:27
 Quboid

Op-FP is amazing, but not on the graphics side - it's my GOTY so far (but I haven't played Max Payne as it's getting mixed reviews).

I agree that Kingpin's graphics are brilliant in that they're not spectacular - Kingpin contains the single most realilistic place I've ever seen in a computer game - the shed with the moterbike in level 2. A fairly unimportant room really (ok, it's the end level, but it's still fairly unimportant), but still amazingly real - for me anyway

I wasn't that impressed by Halflife - I still don't know what the big deal is. FPS games rank like this for me:
Graphics: Quake 3
Plot: Deus Ex
Immersiveness: Op-FP
Multiplayer: Quake 1 (just typing that gives me adrenaline (or maybe it's the last minute of Gladiator soundtrack song 6 )
Singleplayer: Deus Ex (largely because of plot)

Kingping wasn't a very good game, but the texture (and for the earlier levels, level design) was exemplary to the genre. Soldier of Fortune is much underrated - people put it in Kingpin's area because of it's body part removal, but it's actually a great game, just behind Deus Ex and NOLF for single player.

Geez, that must be nearly 3 cents

Cheers,
Xain

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 08:29.
6477 Comments. 324 pages. Viewing page 324.
Newer [  1    309  310  311  312  313  314  315  316  317  318  319  320  321  322  323  324  ] Older