Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5960 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
36. Re: On Sale Mar 26, 2017, 01:26 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 01:10:
@Quboid - Have you seen the STTNG episode "The Offspring?"

No I haven't, I've only seen a the odd episode of Star Trek. I keep hearing about it, TNG in particular, and it sounds like something I'd like. Red Letter Media's review of Starship Troopers compares that movie to a TNG episode with a similar premise and the thoughtful approach of TNG looked very interesting.

That review has a decent argument for Starship Troopers not being quite as bad as I'd remembered. The fascism satire went over my head when I saw it, I was more interested in the shower scene at that age. Just remember that it's not based on the book of the same name.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Mar 26, 2017, 00:53 Quboid

Haven't we all used "they" as a gender-neutral pronoun for centuries?

"I was supposed to meet someone here an hour ago."
a) "Oh, where are they?"
b) "Oh, where is he or she?"

Does anyone say b?

I plead ignorance on why this is an issue. Is it the grammatical problem with the question being plural? (edit: I can see this could be a problem in formal situations, such as causing ambiguity in legal documents.) Or is there a distinction like maybe does "they" refer to someone as a person, and is therefore gender-irrelevant rather than gender-neutral?

'It' doesn't sound at all right to me. That implies non-sentience. I occasionally hear people refer to an animal as 'it' and it's awkward. I know it's accurate and not inherently pejorative but it comes across as dehumanising.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2017, 01:10.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

News Comments > Arma 3 Free and Paid DLC Plans
4. Re: Arma 3 Free and Paid DLC Plans Mar 23, 2017, 01:15 Quboid

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 00:33:
2 questions

1) Did the finally release a full game after it was decided to cut up the game into parts? And would I need to shell out a bunch of money for DLC to really enjoy it

2)How is performance and gameplay compared to Arma 2? Do I need a triple SLI 1070 system and a 300 dollar HOTAS type setup to enjoy it?

I enjoyed the single player a lot. The full campaign is there, and there's a bunch of stand-alone missions. I use KB&M, and a gamepad for driving, but I played as an infantry 99% of the time. A single 1070 is enough for 1440p and good view distance if you're not too fussy about AA/AO/etc.

You don't need any DLC to get started and it looks like bad value to me, although I'm not a hardcore Arma player. I did get screwed in an online game when the mission's helicopter was from a DLC pack so I couldn't get in

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2017, 14:31 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 14:14:
|RaptoR| wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 14:12:
Hey - did nin ever resurface?
Not yet, He is just on extended hiatus. Blue did get in touch w/him and said all was well.
I miss his quips.

Good to hear, I had wondered if he'd had an accident or medical emergency.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Mar 21, 2017, 23:17 Quboid

I'm glad he's investing in science. Is this an increase in funding? Meals-on-wheels should be a priority but there are better things to cut.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches
68. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 22:29 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 20:39:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 16:15:
And for all those not sick today... Here ya go. Yeah I caved and ordered, and have to say that the polish for the 10 hour trial is pretty abysmal, but the game seems to getting on a role and quite enjoyable after Eos.

Parden my ignorance, but what does Eos mean?

It's the first planet you go to, so what people in the trial mostly saw.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
20. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 21, 2017, 17:48 Quboid

Indentured Servitude is slavery by modern definition; migrant workers in Qatar are frequently informally referred to as slaves. I would say it's quite a bit better (not for life, not hereditary, have some rights), but it's still bad.

It's that article that is bullshit, rather than the premise. It's deliberately misleading. It's written to try to down-play the plight of chattel slaves by people who want to down-play the plight of black people. It's not fake as QZ implies, but saying that article is disputed (Facebook's phrasing) or a mixture of true/false (Snopes) seems appropriate.

Imagine a fact checking service that didn't piss off Trump supporters. It couldn't even state Trump's own words because they'll be a liberal conspiracy as soon as Trump contradicts himself.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
92. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 23:51 Quboid

For what it's worth, I don't mean to be shitty to you Kxmode. I disagree with you on this but you seem like a decent person and I don't doubt that your posts on this subject and others are well-meaning and sincere. I also disagree with you about religion and I knew that conversation was doomed, but I admired your effort and patience and I appreciate the respect that showed.  

71. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 17:32 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 16:51:
Quboid wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 16:32:
some of his comments were actually bad.

How many does it take before it becomes wrong? A dozen, fifty, hundred? How many tweets does it take? All of it is bad. Quantity is irrelevant. BioWare should've distanced themselves from his viewpoints the day the first one appeared; that they didn't very much concerns me. That was the gist of my point.

Anyhow, apologies for dragging this out. Like I said in past comments it's irrelevant now as BioWare no longer employs Manveer.

El Pit, see this comment.

It takes one before it becomes wrong. However, there are degrees of wrong and if this was as "wrong" as race relations got, the world would be a much nicer place. If I thought he said anything remotely like you do ("He's literally saying ALL white people are terrorists on the same level as Al-Qaeda and ISIS individuals who brutally murder people."*) then I would expect him to lose his job, but that's not what he said.

* That's from an earlier season. El Pit, I think the other Mass Effect thread in Popular Threads was the first season

63. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 16:32 Quboid

"Racism against any race is racism, period, and ALL of it is bad. "

I agree, and some of his comments were actually bad. But you got quite a few wrong and not-racism against any race is not racism.

55. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 16:03 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 15:50:
Your response tells me more about your basic understanding of the situation. I'm glad Manveer Heir no longer works at BioWare. Whether he quit or fired doesn't matter to me. His hatred will cease to be a stain upon the company.

Quit complaining that everyone else is failing to understand. You took the most offensive interpretations of any ambiguity you could and proceeded to make objectively incorrect conclusions from that. Someone being angry about racism perpetrated by white people does not make white people victims of racism.

One of the tweets you object to is "The entire discussion of race in America centers around the protection of White feelings." Do you not see the irony?

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 20, 2017, 13:56 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 13:11:
FBI director to testify on Russian FBI interference in the presidential election.

Fixed, cuz that was at least as big a factor.

That begs the question - why believe the FBI about Russia?

I can understand why people ask this sort of question. For me, it's because the situation based on numerous other reports points to Comey wanting to get Trump elected, but understanding that a rival nation influencing democracy is an issue that goes beyond party politics. Comey, like 99% of Republicans (and Dems/others), wants what he believes is best for the US. Russia doesn't. There are other reasons, many more cynical (election's won, nothing to gain and everything to lose by screwing this up), but I think this is the nub.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Mar 20, 2017, 01:45 Quboid

Flatline wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 21:48:
Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 19:50:
The Libertarian movement in the US generally seems very genuine (excluding Tea Party types who want oversight over lots of things). They could do a lot of good if they broke into the mainstream enough so issues had 3 sides instead of 2.

The Libertarian party honest-to-god doesn't see a problem with 6 year old shooting heroin, but thinks that drivers licenses to prove competency driving are the beginnings of slavery.

And that's not hyperbole, that's straight from the Libertarian convention debates.

Well that does sound crazy. I didn't mean to endorse their position, I simply meant that they stay true to what they claim. Maybe the 3rd position in mainstream debate should be a bit more realistic...

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 19:50 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 18:20:
Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 15:46:
Would you say you are a Libertarian? You're basically describing how every person views their own ideology. Everyone thinks they use common sense and morals, everyone thinks they're individuals (obligatory), everyone wants oversight when it's needed and doesn't want it when it's not needed, most people want to preserve/restore freedoms. The differences are in what we consider to be needed/not needed/freedom/moral.

IMO most people do not think for themselves, they're indoctrinated into one of the two major parties and that's where they get their opinions from. Those borrowed opinions are what shape their sensibilities, not the other way around. Everything becomes a liberal vs. conservative dichotomy and you're not allowed to venture from the side you're on or else you risk being ostracized by the friends/family/whoever that you've aligned yourself with. That leads to the needless hostility, the Us vs. Them mentality that is decidedly not libertarian in philosophy.

No democratic philosophy is about Us vs. Them. The US's two party system contributes a lot to the pervasive tribal mentality, but that's not down to ideology. Judging by your primaries, there's plenty of scope for disagreement within each party too - including by self-proclaimed Libertarians who join the red tribe.

The Libertarian movement in the US generally seems very genuine (excluding Tea Party types who want oversight over lots of things). They could do a lot of good if they broke into the mainstream enough so issues had 3 sides instead of 2.

News Comments > Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 19, 2017, 16:16 Quboid

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 14:49:
Good software engineering practices are in short supply however. If you're working for the in-house code shop for a company that is in some non-tech related industry, then chances are your software engineering practices consist of "Here's your deadline, regardless of technical feasibility or the time necessary to do it right: get something that (barely) works by then, and we'll fix any problems later (but later will never arrive). Then, as your codebase accumulates more and more problems, and gets more and more neglected, it will become harder and harder to make any forward progress, so in response we'll hire some barely competent contractors to 'help' you out, primarily by committing breaking changes to your production codebase and generally not knowing jack shit about computer science fundamentals or software engineering best practice."

Do ... do you need a hug?

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 15:46 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 14:49:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 13:38:
Shut. The Fuck. Up.

Don't try to bring libertarian bullshit into video games, ugh.

Libertarianism is about as realistic as communism. Great idea, unfortunately humans will just fuck it up.

Actually, I guess that is an extremely valid connection to open world games, then, especially MMOs.

Perhaps you are confusing libertarianism with anarchism? "Libertarian" is not a form (or lack) of government, it describes an individual that uses common sense and their own moral compass to approach each issue individually rather than mindlessly toe a party line. Libertarians don't all agree with each other, except generally on the basic underlying principle that everyone should be free to do whatever they want, so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's ability to do the same.

Of course, just about any form of government will get in the way of that to varying degrees, so a libertarian usually does oppose excessive oversight and control. Anyone with a brain knows that our government won't just go away, so libertarians in politics aren't usually wasting their breath advocating complete abolishment of the state. What you will see, though, are attempts to preserve what freedoms we still have, as well as retake those that we've lost.

I'm just not sure how you could call that bullshit unless there's a misconception behind it...

Would you say you are a Libertarian? You're basically describing how every person views their own ideology. Everyone thinks they use common sense and morals, everyone thinks they're individuals (obligatory), everyone wants oversight when it's needed and doesn't want it when it's not needed, most people want to preserve/restore freedoms. The differences are in what we consider to be needed/not needed/freedom/moral.

News Comments > HITMAN First Anniversary Infographic
3. Re: HITMAN First Anniversary Infographic Mar 18, 2017, 21:14 Quboid

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 18:48:
So how is this game now that it's complete?

It's excellent. I hated Absolution so I'm glad they went back to the original formula of big, open maps with targets to deal with as you see fit. There's a lot of (optional, but heavily encouraged) online stuff despite being single-player and the ending is poor but it nails the spirit of the older, good Hitman games.

If you've played the older ones, turn off Opportunities. This is a feature that spells out some of the ways to kill your target so it's too much hand-holding for experienced hitmen.

In previous Hitman games, were the targets always obviously "bad"? Hitman 2016 makes a point of mentioning how awful these people are, which is a bit jarring. Like Opportunities, this felt like a concession to mass-market audience. Happily, it's just as easily ignored.

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 18, 2017, 17:03 Quboid

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 15:41:
As an aside, while racism against whites certainly exists, generally speaking, when "Racism in America" is being discussed, it's a discussion of how a dominant racial group, i.e. whites, used their dominance to exploit and oppress certain minority races and religious and ethnic groups, and simultaneously enshrined that dominance into the law and broader social hierarchy. Black people and Native Americans are both capable of negatively stereotyping and prejudging white people, but it wasn't white people who came here against their will in chains, to serve as chattel slaves, and then to be freed only to face lynchings and Jim Crow, and it wasn't white people who were driven from their lands and nearly hunted to extinction in the name of the "Progress of Civilization" and "Manifest Destiny".

What I see (including in Kxmode's post in the ME:A EA thread) is someone who is seriously pissed off about exactly this - and who is dealing with it in a negative, divisive way. He should make more considered comments, but then it's said that permissible exaggeration is one symptom of societal privilege.

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: On Sale Mar 18, 2017, 11:07 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 01:24:
Quboid wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 21:34:
Racism against whites certainly exists but I'm not seeing anything particularly awful in his tweets.

Because I didn't post the more severe stuff like this gem. "The real terrorists are already on American soil and they are white" Here's the backup in case he ever decides to delete this Twitter post.

I don't know how anyone can interpret that in any other way than precisely what it means. He's literally saying ALL white people are terrorists on the same level as Al-Qaeda and ISIS individuals who brutally murder people. It's outrageously awful and has no place in the real world, much less business. He needs to go. The sooner EA and BioWare clean house of these societal parasites, the better. Gaming is getting "progressively" bad, and real bad in the last year or so. I just want to play games and have amazing adventures. I don't want the political stuff. I hate politics.

JDreyer already mentioned this but - how did you go from his comment to "ALL white people"? (Also, and I know this is very much besides the point, but there are many terrorists who aren't nearly as bad as Al-Qaeda or ISIS.)

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: On Sale Mar 17, 2017, 21:34 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 20:24:
I am not irate with Manveer Heir for his overt racism. He has free will to do whatever he wishes. What I have a problem with is BioWare (and by extension EA) keeping him employed when they know of his constant racist and violent expressions: For example, "Justice is not the same as legal. The law is not always just. The US deserves no peace until it acts upon the moral imperative to be just." https://archive.is/AyFkk

If BioWare and EA, as part of their culture, support and condone the employment of people who express incredibly hateful rhetoric, I will not reward their bad behavior. It benefits you to know the significance between ideology and racism.

Racism against whites certainly exists but I'm not seeing anything particularly awful in his tweets. That reference to "no peace" is the about the worst and that's ambiguous - I presume it refers to protests. What else, "honkey"? That's not something he should say (that's *our* word!) but in comparison to what other races face in the US, I don't know why anyone would give a shit.

5960 Comments. 298 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo