Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5568 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 16, 2015, 15:17 Quboid

sauron wrote on Sep 16, 2015, 14:42:
harlock wrote on Sep 16, 2015, 11:19:
never mind the bollocks

Here's the real Bollocks

"This video contains content from Warner Chappell, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Yup, utter bollocks.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 13, 2015, 20:31 Quboid

How much is it worth playing MGS: Ground Zeroes before starting The Phantom Pain?

I bought both at the same time and I've played a few GZ missions (the story mission, rescuing Hideo, blowing up AAA, assassinating 2 officers). It is only 16% completed but if much of the rest is stuff like marking enemies quickly, I think I can live without it. I don't know what carries over between the games.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Sep 12, 2015, 20:56 Quboid

FWIW, TotalBiscuit mentioned sales compared to video views in this video. Half a million views, 20 sales. That's 1 sale for every 25,000 views or a conversion rate of 0.004%. Wow, that's awful.

This is one video of one game from a YouTuber (who apes PewDiePie, targeting young kids who buy fewer games) but I'm surprised that it's ever that low. I would have expected a video with half a million views to get a few hundred sales at the very least.

I'd guess that the typical conversion rate is around 0.05% - 1%.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Sep 12, 2015, 14:54 Quboid

Mack seems to be getting progressively worse as a reviewer and an increasing amount of his shtick seems to be that if you don't agree with him you are a complete and utter *ding*.

It's particularly painful when he changes his mind on something and starts slagging off the position he just held. He moaned about Early Access, then he started to review them and starts slagging off people who are dismissive of Early Access. He recently got a console and he started complaining about PC elitists! Has he seen pretty much every other one of his videos?!

He can be funny, but it seems to be less often. He was never much of a reviewer but he somehow seems to be getting less informed.

- Quboid

News Comments > The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux
3. Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux Sep 11, 2015, 19:36 Quboid

It's a walking simulator, so it's not everyone's cup of tea. I found it to be a *lot* better than Dear Esther. Better than Gone Home too, but not by much IMHO. Both are interesting to play once. It is very, very pretty.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 11, 2015, 16:05 Quboid

Verno wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 14:57:
Immigration has done great things for America and I feel for the refugees but we're just getting back on our feet financially, I'm not even sure we can afford to take them all in. We have our own poor and hungry right here at home. Plus isn't everyone always bitching about America being too involved in world affairs? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

There's a world of difference between meddling with or invading other countries for the benefit of your country/its decision makers, and helping out in a humanitarian crisis - particularly when this crisis is partly caused by our countries' meddling.

eRe4s3r, what would you have The Verge write? It seems that they are damned if they do show empathy, damned if they don't.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2015, 16:13 Quboid

Surely the big question is: did you guys like Colbert?  

- Quboid

News Comments > FIFA 16 Demo
7. Re: FIFA 16 Demo Sep 9, 2015, 22:49 Quboid

The PC port of FIFA 15 is pretty good and AFAIK is a direct port of the PS4/Xbone versions. Better than those versions, as it runs at 1440p with 4x MSAA at a steady 60 FPS.

It is designed to be played with a gamepad but that's inherent to the game style, rather than a porting issue. The interface could be more mouse friendly but really, if you can't use a gamepad, don't bother with FIFA.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 8, 2015, 17:59 Quboid

He hasn't been jailed for stealing so I'm not sure what the relevance of that is. Putting the lost revenue at 10% of the calculation is still too high but this guy did straight up break the law with the intention of getting rich, and I do believe that there are some lost sales. Serves him right.

It does slightly annoy me that Ars can't get the name of the city right. I know that this is a controversial issue but it is called Londonderry even if many residents don't want it to be. I guess they got their info from The Derry Journal but the fact that they've got one of the names in their name shows that they aren't exactly neutral. I wouldn't trust The Londonderry Sentinel to be neutral either.

- Quboid

News Comments > Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam
65. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 21:04 Quboid

Retired wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 18:52:
My problem with that stance is that as a consumer, you are telling me that I shouldn't shop at the cheapest stores. G2A has region locked games, you have to be careful what you buy. SOMEONE bought the key, and are now reselling. Leave it alone, it is a free market.

I can get everything cheaper at Amazon - should I not buy my things from there? Am I going to be told where I can buy stuff now?

*rollseyes

I wouldn't say don't buy there but as jacobvandy says, be aware of the risks. Keys bought with stolen credit cards shouldn't be in the free market. I'm not aware of any publisher calling customers of these sites thieves.

- Quboid

62. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 18:46 Quboid

Krovven wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 17:44:
Quboid wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 17:11:
Do they call us thieves? I've never seen that.

Do you pay $65 CAD for an AAA game when the CAD is strong and $65 when it's weak? If so, then you're not the one being affected by the currency's strength.

No. Regular price is $60 for a AAA game. Dollar has been slipping in the last year, so yes the prices have adjusted. I wouldn't call this a AAA game though. There is no consistency in pricing. MGS is $75. Blops3 is $80. That's not really what I was pointing out though. I was pointing out that it was $60 in a region where the dollar is weaker, while being more expensive in a region the dollar is stronger. It doesn't make logical sense.

And yes they call people thieves for using third party sites to get cheaper games. Several companies have taken away games from customers that purchased on sites like G2A claiming they weren't legit keys. Or how about CDPR initially squabbling with GMG over selling Witcher 2 claiming they weren't selling valid keys.

I don't care though. I haven't lost a game I purchased on G2A yet (only a few) and I always pay the insurance. $2 for Watch Dogs (that I haven't played yet), can't beat that.

Unless prices have gone up globally then yes, you're bearing the brunt it. The Australia pricing doesn't seems to make sense at all. I don't begrudge them getting a cheap game for once but that's not the point

I think that publishers get an unfair reputation with some of those keys and AFAIK they have never said anything like that people using these sites are thieves. I don't know the ins-and-outs of all of these controversies but in the case of Far Cry 4 keys from G2A, those keys were bought using stolen credit cards. People who bought the keys weren't called thieves, they were treated as what they were: people who bought illegitimate produce. The victims of the crime shouldn't have had to give people who took a risk to save a few bucks a free copy of their product. Really, if you buy from a site that offers insurance to guard against what they're listing being a scam, you should really expect that sometimes you're going to buy into a scam.

- Quboid

52. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 17:15 Quboid

Desalus wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 15:12:
Marvin T. Martian wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:47:
That one line is enough to make it a no buy. M/KB should always be the main and equal to or better than adding console controller.(as well as the console save system).

C'mon...you're meaning to tell me you prefer to play racing and platforming games with a M/KB over a controller? I find that very hard to believe. Some games are easier to control with a M/KB and some are easier to control with a controller. There's no need to be a "PC Master Race" elitist.

I play racing/driving games with a gamepad, but I play on-foot games with KB&M even if they're 3rd person. For games like GTA, I switch control scheme on the fly.

Is this suitable for Mad Max? I don't think I would enjoy it if using KB&M while on-foot isn't well implemented (responsive, no acceleration).

- Quboid

51. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 17:11 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 16:48:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 16:43:
That's not really how things work. Canadian salaries didn't change even if the value of the dollar changed, so 66.49 CAD is not a discount, it's just the normal price we've always paid. If we would buy games in US dollars, we would pay more, but Steam charges us in Canadian dollars. So that means that right now, Steam makes less profit from Canadian buyers because the canadian dollar is so low. That also means that Canadian devs that have their game on Steam make more money from US sales, and probably most sales in general. I've always found that this system was f-ed up.

Of course it is. This has always been the problem with regional pricing. The corps always and only use it to their advantage. Yet, when we do the same through reseller sites like G2A, Kinguin, et al. they call us thieves. Fuck them and the horse they rode in on.

Do they call us thieves? I've never seen that.

Do you pay $65 CAD for an AAA game when the CAD is strong and $65 when it's weak? If so, then you're not the one being affected by the currency's strength.

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
35. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 30, 2015, 20:59 Quboid

* Derek Smart slaps Chris Roberts around a bit with a large trout  

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 30, 2015, 14:28 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 14:07:
Like the word manspreading does.... ?
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/manspreading

Read that and explain to me how that is in any way not sexist against ALL men by implying that only men do this.

But, I will concede my mistake. This isn't SJW newspeak. This is 3rd gen feminism newspeak. Ash on me for my fault, but to me the 2 terms are nearly interchangeable. SJW (the term) is an invention of 3rd gen radical feminists. To me these 2 are basically the same thing.

Someone who actually wants equality on a social scale is called a humanist

I thought you were referring to the definition of SJW, sorry. Yes, manspreading is a sexist word that should never be used.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2015, 14:42.

- Quboid

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 30, 2015, 13:49 Quboid

El Pit wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 13:15:
mag wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 09:25:
SJW means "someone that cares about social issues I don't care about."

Sometimes it means this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c

And Monty Python's uncovered the nonsense of SJWs decades ago...

"Sometimes" is one reason why I dislike the label. It is used to generalise and demonise a large group of people based on the actions of a few (or in this case, the fictional), which just makes it a mindless insult and it is especially stupid when typically used by people who think that they are in a movement protesting against generalising and demonising a large group of people based on the actions of a few.

- Quboid

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 30, 2015, 08:51 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 03:25:
Not to mention that oxford actually put in SJW newspeak .. shame on them, in fact the editor of Oxford definitely deserves the walk of shame from GoT

Shamewalking, that is.

It struck me that this is the first definition of the phrase SJW which doesn't equally apply to the people who use it. The previous definition I've seen is that SJW means someone who impotently argue social issues online, which is exactly the sort of person who uses the phrase in the first place.

What newspeak is used? The word "progressive"?

- Quboid

News Comments > Risen 3 Graphics Rise
20. Re: Risen 3 Graphics Rise Aug 24, 2015, 00:08 Quboid

Retired wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 14:54:
Quboid wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 13:47:
It's odd that they release this just after a massive discount. It had been 80% off, quite steep for a game that's only a year old. I might have bought it if I had known about this.

88% off right now at Amazon. making it $5.99.

That deal isn't valid in my country

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 23, 2015, 11:29 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 05:23:
Also, what would Jesus' fav gun be? (Actual question by real GOP Teens Twitter feed).

Best Answer: a nail gun (Yes, GOP Teens actually banned this guy for this answer)

That's a joke feed, so I presume the nail gun answerer wasn't really blocked. Their website confirms that it is a parody, I couldn't tell for sure from their posts. There is plenty of laughable junk around which is meant seriously...

- Quboid

News Comments > Risen 3 Graphics Rise
4. Re: Risen 3 Graphics Rise Aug 22, 2015, 14:12 Quboid

Is the combat any better than the previous Risen games? The only game of theirs that I enjoyed was Gothic 3 and that was after numerous community patches. I probably will pick it up eventually.  

- Quboid

5568 Comments. 279 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo