Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5927 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 19:50 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 18:20:
Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 15:46:
Would you say you are a Libertarian? You're basically describing how every person views their own ideology. Everyone thinks they use common sense and morals, everyone thinks they're individuals (obligatory), everyone wants oversight when it's needed and doesn't want it when it's not needed, most people want to preserve/restore freedoms. The differences are in what we consider to be needed/not needed/freedom/moral.

IMO most people do not think for themselves, they're indoctrinated into one of the two major parties and that's where they get their opinions from. Those borrowed opinions are what shape their sensibilities, not the other way around. Everything becomes a liberal vs. conservative dichotomy and you're not allowed to venture from the side you're on or else you risk being ostracized by the friends/family/whoever that you've aligned yourself with. That leads to the needless hostility, the Us vs. Them mentality that is decidedly not libertarian in philosophy.

No democratic philosophy is about Us vs. Them. The US's two party system contributes a lot to the pervasive tribal mentality, but that's not down to ideology. Judging by your primaries, there's plenty of scope for disagreement within each party too - including by self-proclaimed Libertarians who join the red tribe.

The Libertarian movement in the US generally seems very genuine (excluding Tea Party types who want oversight over lots of things). They could do a lot of good if they broke into the mainstream enough so issues had 3 sides instead of 2.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 19, 2017, 16:16 Quboid

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 14:49:
Good software engineering practices are in short supply however. If you're working for the in-house code shop for a company that is in some non-tech related industry, then chances are your software engineering practices consist of "Here's your deadline, regardless of technical feasibility or the time necessary to do it right: get something that (barely) works by then, and we'll fix any problems later (but later will never arrive). Then, as your codebase accumulates more and more problems, and gets more and more neglected, it will become harder and harder to make any forward progress, so in response we'll hire some barely competent contractors to 'help' you out, primarily by committing breaking changes to your production codebase and generally not knowing jack shit about computer science fundamentals or software engineering best practice."

Do ... do you need a hug?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 15:46 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 14:49:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 13:38:
Shut. The Fuck. Up.

Don't try to bring libertarian bullshit into video games, ugh.

Libertarianism is about as realistic as communism. Great idea, unfortunately humans will just fuck it up.

Actually, I guess that is an extremely valid connection to open world games, then, especially MMOs.

Perhaps you are confusing libertarianism with anarchism? "Libertarian" is not a form (or lack) of government, it describes an individual that uses common sense and their own moral compass to approach each issue individually rather than mindlessly toe a party line. Libertarians don't all agree with each other, except generally on the basic underlying principle that everyone should be free to do whatever they want, so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's ability to do the same.

Of course, just about any form of government will get in the way of that to varying degrees, so a libertarian usually does oppose excessive oversight and control. Anyone with a brain knows that our government won't just go away, so libertarians in politics aren't usually wasting their breath advocating complete abolishment of the state. What you will see, though, are attempts to preserve what freedoms we still have, as well as retake those that we've lost.

I'm just not sure how you could call that bullshit unless there's a misconception behind it...

Would you say you are a Libertarian? You're basically describing how every person views their own ideology. Everyone thinks they use common sense and morals, everyone thinks they're individuals (obligatory), everyone wants oversight when it's needed and doesn't want it when it's not needed, most people want to preserve/restore freedoms. The differences are in what we consider to be needed/not needed/freedom/moral.

News Comments > HITMAN First Anniversary Infographic
3. Re: HITMAN First Anniversary Infographic Mar 18, 2017, 21:14 Quboid

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 18:48:
So how is this game now that it's complete?

It's excellent. I hated Absolution so I'm glad they went back to the original formula of big, open maps with targets to deal with as you see fit. There's a lot of (optional, but heavily encouraged) online stuff despite being single-player and the ending is poor but it nails the spirit of the older, good Hitman games.

If you've played the older ones, turn off Opportunities. This is a feature that spells out some of the ways to kill your target so it's too much hand-holding for experienced hitmen.

In previous Hitman games, were the targets always obviously "bad"? Hitman 2016 makes a point of mentioning how awful these people are, which is a bit jarring. Like Opportunities, this felt like a concession to mass-market audience. Happily, it's just as easily ignored.

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 18, 2017, 17:03 Quboid

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 15:41:
As an aside, while racism against whites certainly exists, generally speaking, when "Racism in America" is being discussed, it's a discussion of how a dominant racial group, i.e. whites, used their dominance to exploit and oppress certain minority races and religious and ethnic groups, and simultaneously enshrined that dominance into the law and broader social hierarchy. Black people and Native Americans are both capable of negatively stereotyping and prejudging white people, but it wasn't white people who came here against their will in chains, to serve as chattel slaves, and then to be freed only to face lynchings and Jim Crow, and it wasn't white people who were driven from their lands and nearly hunted to extinction in the name of the "Progress of Civilization" and "Manifest Destiny".

What I see (including in Kxmode's post in the ME:A EA thread) is someone who is seriously pissed off about exactly this - and who is dealing with it in a negative, divisive way. He should make more considered comments, but then it's said that permissible exaggeration is one symptom of societal privilege.

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: On Sale Mar 18, 2017, 11:07 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 01:24:
Quboid wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 21:34:
Racism against whites certainly exists but I'm not seeing anything particularly awful in his tweets.

Because I didn't post the more severe stuff like this gem. "The real terrorists are already on American soil and they are white" Here's the backup in case he ever decides to delete this Twitter post.

I don't know how anyone can interpret that in any other way than precisely what it means. He's literally saying ALL white people are terrorists on the same level as Al-Qaeda and ISIS individuals who brutally murder people. It's outrageously awful and has no place in the real world, much less business. He needs to go. The sooner EA and BioWare clean house of these societal parasites, the better. Gaming is getting "progressively" bad, and real bad in the last year or so. I just want to play games and have amazing adventures. I don't want the political stuff. I hate politics.

JDreyer already mentioned this but - how did you go from his comment to "ALL white people"? (Also, and I know this is very much besides the point, but there are many terrorists who aren't nearly as bad as Al-Qaeda or ISIS.)

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: On Sale Mar 17, 2017, 21:34 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 20:24:
I am not irate with Manveer Heir for his overt racism. He has free will to do whatever he wishes. What I have a problem with is BioWare (and by extension EA) keeping him employed when they know of his constant racist and violent expressions: For example, "Justice is not the same as legal. The law is not always just. The US deserves no peace until it acts upon the moral imperative to be just." https://archive.is/AyFkk

If BioWare and EA, as part of their culture, support and condone the employment of people who express incredibly hateful rhetoric, I will not reward their bad behavior. It benefits you to know the significance between ideology and racism.

Racism against whites certainly exists but I'm not seeing anything particularly awful in his tweets. That reference to "no peace" is the about the worst and that's ambiguous - I presume it refers to protests. What else, "honkey"? That's not something he should say (that's *our* word!) but in comparison to what other races face in the US, I don't know why anyone would give a shit.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 17, 2017, 16:40 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 15:14:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 14:37:
The moron king and his minions of idiots. If it wasn't actually happening it would be the funniest shit on tv.
Right if millions of people's lives didn't hang in the balance.

Sometimes the US reminds me of Star Citizen. I would love it to be brilliant but a delusional leader and the most ardent of his supporters aren't going to make that happen. I might as well grab the popcorn and chuckle at the dark humour.

Hell, they even both have white knights (NSFW) fighting their cause.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2017, 15:52 Quboid

Hey remember when people said that the Irish never get upset about cultural appropriation?

Could someone please tell me and everyone else on this island, North and South, WHAT THE FUCK this guy is holding and just WHO THE HELL thought that was acceptable? The potato famine wasn't as painful as that abomination.

I guess it proves what we all knew: Paul Ryan desperately needs someone to give him some good head.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2017, 16:04.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 16, 2017, 00:11 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 21:12:
Redmask wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 17:56:
I hope Uber unionizes so that we can get disgusting, rude taxis all over again
You must live in a shit hole. The taxi companies here do a good job and always have of being friendly, probably because there's plenty of competition. Personally, I hope Uber and Lyft get smacked into the dirt over safety requirements that cab companies are required to have. The whole bullshit of "they don't need a safety, or carrier insurance" let alone first aid training is complete bullshit.

I think it's places with taxi medallion systems that have poor service. Certainly the local ones here are fine, they face regulation regarding safety and fairness but otherwise are left to compete with one another. And yes, despite the differences between taxis and Uber they fundamentally provide the same service and should face the same regulation.

This is possibly the first time I've ever agreed with you

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2017, 23:12 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 21:12:
Cutter wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 20:14:
An acquaintance of mine is a structural engineer. He always talks about how stressful his job is. Yet I always wonder why, then I recall that, yeah, if he doesn't do his job right he'll likely end up killing a bunch of people.
Yeah.. I suspect the real issue is cost effective design. He could easily design what is being requested in such a way that it won't fail. But doing that within the cost restraints is the problem and battling the management when you don't agree on where that line should be drawn...

Any idiot can build a bridge.
Any smart person can build a bridge that stays up.
It takes an engineer to build a bridge that *just* stays up.
- Engineering proverb

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2017, 16:29 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 15:17:
Tumblr hates unions, film at 11.

I thought they only hated cisgendered straight white males?

News Comments > Game Reviews
26. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 16:27 Quboid

peteham wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 15:46:
Finishing this rant; Noclip did this vid recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2g_0QQRjYY .. Has a segment with Jonathan Blow talking about "Ubi-style" games and how they don't really need 3D-graphics anymore, you could just have the HUD markers Recommended viewing.

I've been playing more of the utterly generic Ghost Recon Wildlands and I noticed that I was spending as much time looking at the map and minimap as I as looking at the actual 3D graphics. Outside of combat, I would hold W and navigate by the minimap with basically zero actual immersion.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 15, 2017, 15:53 Quboid

How does them checking your stuff actually work? What if your phone's email client doesn't have any accounts defined? What if you don't have the Facebook app installed?

Beamer, what does "Depending on your you look", is that "on where you look (for your statistics)" or "on how you look (racial profiling)"?

I feel like it hasn't occurred to them that just because it's not unconstitutional doesn't mean they have to do it. Like, it could be legal for them to do this but they not do it anyway because it's a stupid idea.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Mar 15, 2017, 01:07 Quboid

I hope the perp would be charged with reckless endangerment (which is effectively attempted manslaughter).

Surveillance by drone or helicopter would be a lot safer for civilians. Even if the perps were in a hurry, without cops on their tail they wouldn't push quite as hard. However these could be beaten by switching car in a multi-story or running into a mall or forest so perhaps in some cases a road chase is appropriate.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
40. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 13, 2017, 16:27 Quboid

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 16:20:
hey genius - 69% of 577 is not 575

You also said 575 reviews previously. There have been 2 new reviews since.

38. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 13, 2017, 16:18 Quboid

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 14:54:
Quboid wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 13:09:
Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 13:04:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 04:49:
I wouldn't write off Torment based on the opinions of the vocal minority.

Maybe you wouldmt, but thats because you are biased.

Torment: Tides of Numenera
User reviews:
OVERALL: Mixed (575 reviews)

"mixed" doesnt refer to a minority, it refers to an even split, hence the word "mixed"

"69% of the 575 user reviews for this game are positive"

31% is definitely a minority.

it depends on where you look

OVERALL:
Mixed (577 reviews) (this summary uses only reviews purchased directly from steam)

and if that invalidates any opposing viewpoint for you, great - go make gaming great again in your private echo chamber of cognitive bias that only accommodates supporting viewpoints... and by all means, do enjoy yourself

I don't care, I'm just pointing out the fact that it is a minority. I only checked because your use of such a vague metric looked suspicious. As does complaining about echo chambers because someone disagreed with you.

35. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 13, 2017, 13:09 Quboid

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 13:04:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 04:49:
I wouldn't write off Torment based on the opinions of the vocal minority.

Maybe you wouldmt, but thats because you are biased.

Torment: Tides of Numenera
User reviews:
OVERALL: Mixed (575 reviews)

"mixed" doesnt refer to a minority, it refers to an even split, hence the word "mixed"

"69% of the 575 user reviews for this game are positive"

31% is definitely a minority.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 13, 2017, 11:35 Quboid

Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 08:55:
In case anyone was wondering, Wildlands is a soulless piece of shit. Same shitty formula from Far Cry with outposts combined with the Ubisoft Terrain Generator 2.0. The world feels empty and pointless, much like your generic and repetitive objectives in it.

It is a bad game.

That's my opinion too. I didn't expect much and I'm still disappointed by how generic everything feels.

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Free DLC Plans
5. Re: Cities: Skylines Free DLC Plans Mar 11, 2017, 23:05 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 17:11:
It's such a good game. Even just the vanilla release alone.
I'm still playing my first city, so I haven't even experienced any of the expansion packs or new features... but someday I'll start that second one and get to play with a bunch of new mechanics.

No mods?

I sunk hundreds of hours into this during ill-health after its release. I'm a little burned out on it for now but I'll definitely be going back.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2017, 23:25.

5927 Comments. 297 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo