Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5663 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 14, 2016, 11:17 Quboid

I can see the logic, this is basically what I'm programmed to do as well. I hope it doesn't go too far, I'd readily take a bruised arm rather than run over children.

This will be fought out in the courts after the first few controversial fatalities. Ethics will be decided by compensation claims.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2016, 11:45 Quboid

She made it weird by mentioning having a hard time meeting romantic partners, going by the awkward laugh he said what most people were thinking.  

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. Oct 12, 2016, 21:48 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 20:13:
My family is Irish as well as a lot of my friends. My point was that the IRA would never have existed if not for England and the Unionists and how they treated Irish Catholics to begin with - and were not even talking real history with William of Orange, Walter Raleigh, et al. And I don't know how anyone can claim the IRA was worse given the atrocities committed by the UDF and British military. Fucking internment, Long Kesh, etc. Even Paul McCartney wrote a song about it.

Give Ireland Back to the Irish

I said they killed more, because they did. Is there any reason to care about Paul McCartney's opinion?

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Oct 12, 2016, 19:48 Quboid

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 17:21:
Quboid wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 15:04:
Cutter wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 11:36:
“We went through 40 years of violence in which many lives were lost and people maimed. I knew there would eventually be some who would seek to exploit that to make money,” he said.

Yeah, and who's fault was that?

"It's their fault, not ours!" - both sides

To be fair, Republicans (pro-Ireland) did more killing and particularly maiming than Unionists (pro-UK), although the Unionists did have a thing for assassinating "Irish terrorists" - which to them meant anyone who was probably Catholic.

It occurs to me that I'm probably over-thinking Blue's comment and he just meant that Northern Irish politics isn't the first place you'd look for complaints about depictions of US crime.

Isn't the majority of the difference based off religion? I've never actually looked at what the conflict was about but I thought it was entirely a type of "holy war". Protestant versus Catholic.

It was originally the Irish versus the British invaders but as they were overwhelmingly Catholic and Protestant respectively, the religious difference became another thing to fight over. After most of Ireland got independence, Northern Ireland was split fairly evenly but power (wealth, government positions) was with the descendants of British settlers and religious discrimination was one of the things that kicked off The Troubles in the 1960s.

Ultimately it's about Nationalism, whether people in Northern Ireland see themselves as British or Irish.

Thanks skyguy. I know the IRA's collections at pubs in these places took a big hit after 9/11 and suddenly funding terrorism didn't seem so great. Makes me wonder what these idiots thought their money was going towards.

- Quboid

News Comments > Hitman Season Finale Details
3. Re: Hitman Season Finale Details Oct 12, 2016, 19:10 Quboid

Good to hear, Rilcon. Like many, I'm waiting for the full release and the subsequent reaction but so far it sounds good.

I don't really need an over-arching plot in a Hitman game, the lack of context would make sense for a killing machine. Why is this person to be killed? Because the contract says so.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Oct 12, 2016, 15:04 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 11:36:
“We went through 40 years of violence in which many lives were lost and people maimed. I knew there would eventually be some who would seek to exploit that to make money,” he said.

Yeah, and who's fault was that?

"It's their fault, not ours!" - both sides

To be fair, Republicans (pro-Ireland) did more killing and particularly maiming than Unionists (pro-UK), although the Unionists did have a thing for assassinating "Irish terrorists" - which to them meant anyone who was probably Catholic.

It occurs to me that I'm probably over-thinking Blue's comment and he just meant that Northern Irish politics isn't the first place you'd look for complaints about depictions of US crime.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 12, 2016, 11:22 Quboid

Not the first group you'd expect to object to a Mafia game

Do you mean the DUP or Unionists in general? I'm intrigued by how Northern Ireland is perceived abroad now, are Unionists seen as the bad guys in NY, Boston and other Irish influenced places?

The Unionist paramilitaries have gone over to organised crime since the ceasefire but of course they're definitely not associated with the DUP or other political parties. Noooooo. Certainly not.

I'm not surprised they're moaning about this. Northern Irish politics have always been a partisan shambles between opposing loonies and Unionists tend to be worse.

- Quboid

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2016, 22:14 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 21:46:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 21:18:
Quboid wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 19:32:
Clinton says she's against Citizens United, I'll believe it when I see action but that would be a start.
She probably believes that, it is a standard Dem. party stance. However, she can't do anything about it without the help of Congress which will surely not be arriving from the House, which is likely to remain in GOP control.

Also, it was a SCOTUS decision: "money = free speech." So any laws passed could be declared unconstitutional as a result, even if Clinton replaces Scalia with a liberal, since the SCOTUS likes to adhere to precedent and not overturn its own rulings, especially not so soon.

True. It's hard to imagine a constitutional amendment getting anywhere these days either.

- Quboid

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2016, 19:32 Quboid

A narrow win for Clinton might help both major parties wake up and realise that they've got a country to run, whereas a landslide would send the message that they just need to not go full retard. On the other hand, a Clinton landslide would be a thorough rejection of Trump's lies and exploitation. And if Trump wins, it will probably be 3 years of Mike Pence because that idiot will get impeached.

Clinton says she's against Citizens United, I'll believe it when I see action but that would be a start. Her policies seem to go where the political wind blows so perhaps a crusade against money in politics would appeal to disenfranchised voters when she's looking for a second term.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2016, 22:32.

- Quboid

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2016, 18:12 Quboid

Mr. Tact, that's the conventional logic which made people think the Brexit referendum would fail and that Trump would go out early in the primaries. I hope Trump gets landslided but 2016 just doesn't make any goddamn sense.  

- Quboid

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2016, 17:38 Quboid

descender wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 14:46:
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/ is a pretty comprehensive look at the election poll data.

That's my go-to site too. I also check betting odds, although they were wrong over Brexit and the last UK election. You can change the odds format under "Tools".

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
26. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 10, 2016, 20:16 Quboid

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 19:56:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 16:36:
Nope, but I know at least it will be an educated, informed, and considered decision.
Why is it so god damn hard to learn from RECENT history for some people?
I guess if you have to live in Syria, Yemen, Iraq or Libya for a few months you will learn. Well no, I am not even sure about that. This stupidity really boggles my mind. I seriously dont find words for it anymore. No godzilla face palm, nothing will make it better. What the hell is wrong with people like you??? This cant be explained by a low IQ!!!

Because Clinton created ISIS or ...?

- Quboid

News Comments > Mafia III Patched
20. Re: Mafia III Patched Oct 9, 2016, 22:03 Quboid

Thanks for the performance reports, that's a bit encouraging but still sounds like it needs work. Is there really upscaling? Ugh.

The stuff in those videos are minor things that make the world a bit more alive. Are the new things to do different, maybe generic, grindy open-world side missions?

- Quboid

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2016, 18:15 Quboid

20 years, wooo!

Party Cake Party

- Quboid

News Comments > Mafia III Patched
10. Re: Mafia III Patched Oct 9, 2016, 17:35 Quboid

How is performance now? Are people actually getting 60+ FPS with decent graphics and draw distance?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Mafia III Released
34. Re: Mafia III Released Oct 8, 2016, 22:52 Quboid

Quinn wrote on Oct 8, 2016, 21:07:
Redmask wrote on Oct 8, 2016, 17:52:
Maybe instead we could talk about the really cool game and ignore some lonely racist on the internet who just wants attention and laid the most obvious bait in the world to get it.

Leave it to Redmask to spew some personal assault with literally zero basis someone's way. I can't imagine anyone falling for your omega male shit anymore tbh. It should go without saying that someone who is against the BLM movement ins't necessarily a racist. Thinking in absolutes is a juvenile attitude that is a stain on our community and our ability to communicate about shit that matters.

It's not the most delicate way to discuss things but you did basically call BLM supporters racist and the only other explanation I can think of is that you are very badly misinformed. You say of course black lives matter, but your defence is that other people don't care, not that you do. In particular:
If BLM actually gave a single shit about black lives then they would put their efforts in trying to fix their own fucked up community. When I'm talking about a fucked up community I'm talking about fatherless households because daddy is in prison and the staggering, sickening numbers of black-on-black crime.

You talk about this like black communities are independent entities. Aside from the larger societal issues, you don't think that police and justice systems they can trust would help these communities with their crime problems? Do you really think the majority of people living there don't care?

Oh, and "America's retarded gun laws"? I'd guess there is a pretty large overlap between the gun nuts and the ALM nuts.

- Quboid

32. Re: Mafia III Released Oct 8, 2016, 18:24 Quboid

There's a patch out for proper frame rates:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/360430/announcements/detail/814414949508697159

- Quboid

30. Re: Mafia III Released Oct 8, 2016, 16:32 Quboid

Quinn wrote on Oct 8, 2016, 16:07:
BLM is a movement that is Black VS White, and "this time" not coming from the whites. When a black officer shoots a black person, BLM spokespersons will not mention the colour of the officer unless pressed. Nor do they give a shit about the actual numbers.

BLM is a movement that is people vs police. Why are BLM spokespersons talking about incidents when the officer is black at all if it's black vs white? The police officer's race isn't the point, it's the institutional racism (that did start with the whites) in police and justice departments that mean all officers can kill an unarmed black person and be likely to get away with it.

I haven't noticed that officers' races get mentioned more if they're white but it wouldn't surprise me. It's a more explicit demonstration of the institutional problems. Talking about black officers killing black people might confuse some people who don't get that institutional anti-black racism is the complaint.

And yes, more whites are killed by police than blacks, nearly twice as many - but there are six times as many white people. There are a number of factors that stop this being, heh, black and white but there is a vicious circle of distrust and I hold the people who swear to protect and serve the community to a higher standard than those who don't.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2016, 16:39.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
16. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 8, 2016, 15:10 Quboid

Bragging about getting away with sexual assault because he's a star is exactly the sort of "dirty joke" that Jimmy Savile would also make in private, before he was exposed as a massive sexual predator who wasn't joking in the slightest - in fact who got off on being able to say these things and *still* get away with it, the sort of insecure narcissism that Trump has also repeatedly displayed.

Of course, this doesn't prove that Trump has raped several women and children, but it makes those accusations look less like political manoeuvrings.

- Quboid

27. Re: Mafia III Released Oct 8, 2016, 13:35 Quboid

Quinn wrote on Oct 8, 2016, 13:17:
The latter part is not what I'm saying. Read my post more clearly. As for BLM, I can understand it feels good to just hop on that boat and chant "black lives matter" along with its other members... since -- fuck me -- OF COURSE black lives matter. All human life matters. If you don't understand my disdain for BLM than that's solely due to your ignorance, so don't go all ad hominem on me. My problem with BLM is that it creates racism instead of fighting it. Have you heard any BLM spokesperson talk about the white people that get shot by police, for example? Of course they don't, because then they have to come with numbers which would completely destroy the movement.

Numbers like: 6% of the US citizens are black, 50% of the US murders are by blacks, and then most of them are black-on-black crime.
Or numbers like: 50% of the people that get shot by police are white.

Fuck BLM. It's a movement against equality.

The latter part was about Luke, not you. Read my post more clearly.

BLM is about how black people are more likely to get shot by police than white people, which even your highly suspect numbers suggest. It is inherently about white people getting shot too but people who tell themselves that all lives matter ignore this so they can go on not caring about black lives - which is exactly what you're doing when you dismiss people protesting for civil rights because they're upsetting the apple cart.

The solutions to killings not done by police are things like gun control, drug reform, education - things that many people do care about very much.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2016, 13:50.

- Quboid

5663 Comments. 284 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo