Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5669 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed May 7, 2016, 11:10 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2016, 10:59:
Quboid wrote on May 7, 2016, 10:43:

Let's get this down into a condensed form:
"This article criticises me for taking part in this sort of thing. I don't like that, so I'm going to complain about Kotaku and identity politics."

So you're saying that the current game press doesn't have a problem jamming identity politics into everything and it's not driving viewership away from their sites? Will you also say that they don't have a problem with clickbait either?

These are just things you disagree with. It's politics when you don't like it. It's clickbait when you don't agree with it because you're so special, nobody could *actually* disagree with you. None of this is making an argument, it's just an excuse not to.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed May 7, 2016, 10:43 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2016, 10:24:

"People are doing the jobs of reviewers, and it's driving clicks away from our sites. We don't like that, so we're gonna attack people over it."

Pretty sure I saw this BS on kotaku as well, whining over how people are taking stuff away from them and people are running away from their shitty sites. Let me give all you sites whining about it some help. First, do your job and stop injecting identity politics into everything. Review it on the basis of art and non-art. Stop injecting identity politics into everything. And lastly, if you don't actually play that genre of games stop reviewing those games and whining when you get face rolled because you're terrible.

"This article criticises me for taking part in this sort of thing. I don't like that, so I'm going to complain about Kotaku and identity politics."

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 5, 2016, 16:39 Quboid

descender wrote on May 5, 2016, 15:30:
There was some talk around here a few months ago about the need for a "killer app" to launch new hardware like this. They were not wrong.

Trying to launch VR without a Halflife/Halo/CoD/WoW/Madden or similar mega-franchise entry to tie it to? Uh... good luck!

I'm disappointed. There's a few titles that I would buy if I had a headset but none that make me want to buy the headset. I'd maybe get a headset for the mediocre titles so far and the expectation that there will be more but I'd hate to spend £500+ on one headset only for a killer title to be exclusive to the other. I want to see the vast majority of VR games supporting the Rift and the Vive, and any others.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: First Female President confirmed May 5, 2016, 15:27 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on May 5, 2016, 15:07:
PHJF wrote on May 5, 2016, 11:40:
Yeah, there is, actually. All you have to do is separate money from politics, specifically when it comes to elections and lobbying. Most politicians spend tons of their time trying to get money to win an election/reelection, which both encourages lobbying and discourages actual politicking. Meanwhile campaigns for national office are so prohibitively expensive a regular Joe doesn't have a shot in hell of getting the exposure necessary for a win.
Okay -- so you are proposing what? Publicly funded campaigns? As you indicated a national campaign takes big money. I've certainly heard members of Congress complain about how much time they have to spend raising money. So some, if not many, might even agree with us. But again I don't see a path to get there.

National campaigns take a lot of money because they take a lot of money; if your opponent is spending a lot then you have to keep up. Getting rid of the money would massively reduce the need for money.

However, you're still in a corner as you can't take the money out of politics without the people with influence agreeing. The US needs the people buying politicians to want to get rid of people buying politicians, and for the politicians to want to not get handed money. All the best with that!

- Quboid

17. Re: First Female President confirmed May 4, 2016, 22:54 Quboid

He got these votes in republican primaries, this isn't just people automatically voting R.

I wonder who Trump will be now that he doesn't have to pander to the far right. They're not going to vote for Clinton whatever he does so he will probably try to reinvent himself to be more palatable to moderates.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Customer Review Changes
2. Re: Steam Customer Review Changes May 3, 2016, 20:44 Quboid

If I'm considering buying a game, I want to know how good it is now. Reviews from a launch fiasco aren't going anywhere but that's not particularly useful information to potential customer a year later.  

- Quboid

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2016, 14:02 Quboid

"That's a nice phone number you've got there, Mister Blue. It would be a shame if someone were to call it." - Verizon  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 May 1, 2016, 20:27 Quboid

christheshitter wrote on May 1, 2016, 20:10:
Learn the art of knowing what really make a game good!

Does this correlate closely with what games you like? I'm just wondering if maybe your tastes happen to be perfectly educated?

- Quboid

News Comments > Ubisoft vs The Division Cheaters
25. Re: Ubisoft vs The Division Cheaters Apr 30, 2016, 18:25 Quboid

Tachikoma wrote on Apr 30, 2016, 15:38:
Oh boy, somebody in 2016 still rides the ol` straw horse? Somebody pinch me. It was always the get-go wisecrack for lame forum warriors but come on, it`s beyond tedious. Ask a smarter cousin, he might lend you a new toy, some sort of plastic saber to rattle here, perhaps.

What has Quake to do with Ubisoft? Nothing. Maybe because my comment meant to point out that people were always cheating and companies were never able to wipe it out. But hey, you got your lil` TRUSTED CLIENT MODEL 111111!1 to jerk off to, so let`s not interrupt that bit of fun before bedtime, shall we?

So because people have always cheated, developers shouldn't bother trying to reduce it? We'll never stop all murders and murders have always occurred so why bother even trying?

Sorry, that's nonsense. Ubisoft should have anticipated the problem with using a trusted client model and should have realised that this is really bad design. That's their mistake. They won't get rid of all cheaters but they should make a decent effort to reduce the problem.

It's not as if the problems with trusting the client are unknown. This is very basic stuff. It's why every website I used to make treated every single piece of data from the client as if it is radioactive - that data is a hack until proved otherwise.

- Quboid

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2016, 18:30 Quboid

At one point during The Force Awakens, I forgot that BB-8 wasn't Wall-E. It was beeping and booping and for a split second I expected the 'dialogue' to continue in Wall-E's style.

Ball-E.

- Quboid

News Comments > Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta
4. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 27, 2016, 18:24 Quboid

"For Fallout 4, our goal was to make Mods easier to monetise and accessible to more potential customers than ever before - for both the creators and us. But not Valve"

This seems like the first step towards their own mod shop, where mods are cross-platform and Valve don't get any percentage. I don't mind Valve being bypassed but paid mods are a Pandora's box.

Referencing horse armour in the video doesn't help...

- Quboid

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2016, 11:47 Quboid

Congratulations you two!  

- Quboid

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2016, 22:13 Quboid

Retired wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 21:30:
Anyone have trouble with new greenmangaming site? Can't buy a game......

Just gave it a quick test - I can't sign in. The "Sign In" button activates but clicking on it does nothing.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 25, 2016, 22:53 Quboid

The Vive looks like the better headset but I'm a bit concerned about this room-space stuff. I'd rather stay seated if possible so I hope this is optional.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Master of Orion Adds Linux Support
7. Re: Master of Orion Adds Linux Support Apr 25, 2016, 21:22 Quboid

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 18:36:
There are people whom are gnashing their teeth and screaming "But it isn't like MoO2!" No, no it isn't but MoO2 had its own glaring set of flaws that most people overlook due to their rose tinted nostalgia.

Thank you, I was wondering that. I only know MOO by reputation (2 = good, 3 = bad) so I'm not concerned about whether it replicates MOO2 particularly faithfully. Particularly as, as you say, these old games aren't as perfect as we tend to remember.

I don't mind it being softcore. Stellaris will be deeper, and there's always Aurora if anyone wants to go crazy. What is DU?

- Quboid

5. Re: Master of Orion Adds Linux Support Apr 25, 2016, 18:11 Quboid

Ooh dear, really?

Is the problem that it's a bad 4X game, or specifically that it's not like the good old MOO games?

- Quboid

2. Re: Master of Orion Adds Linux Support Apr 25, 2016, 16:18 Quboid

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 10:42:
Yes!

Have you played it? How is it shaping up?

From the videos I have seen, it is coming along well. Much more MOO2 than MOO3.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Apr 25, 2016, 15:18 Quboid

I can easily understand people holding Kotaku in low regard but thinking they are unethical trash while considering One Angry Gamer to be worth reading is bizarre because the criticisms apply tenfold to them. It would be people spending half their time online complaining about over-sensitive people and the other half getting incredibly easily offended over minor stuff ... oh right.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Judas TMed
3. Re: Judas TMed Apr 22, 2016, 13:27 Quboid

Maybe it's about Arnold Rimmer.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Apr 21, 2016, 22:47 Quboid

The number of famous people has presumably increased a lot continuously for a few decades so maybe 2016 isn't a bad year but a drop of things to come.

There's a cheery thought.

- Quboid

5669 Comments. 284 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo