Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 6019 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated]
116. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated] Sep 24, 2016, 23:02 Quboid

Slick wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 21:05:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 20:48:
Quboid wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 16:26:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 15:58:
DV wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 10:59:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 10:17:
The hypocrisy in this thread and on this topic in general is sickening, to say the least.

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it in this thread.
Like always, they dont seem to care. Its like theres a huge competition going on whos the biggest hypocrite. The term hypocrite seems to be a compliment to them.

Who is "they"? People are rarely aware of when they are being hypocritical by their own interpretation, never mind yours. I have no idea who you mean.
Thats exactly the problem. If you cant recognize obvious hypocrisy anymore, then nobody can explain it to you, because youre most likely ignoring it on purpose, because youre biased. And Im surely not going to get into this brainless flamewar by trying to. People need to realize it themselves, even friends telling it them will make most people tick out and rather end the friendship, than admit it.

Well, I don't know if this was his point or not, but there is a neurological condition where people who are bad at something literally don't have the skillset to UNDERSTAND that they're bad at it.

Extrapolated, this could explain that people who don't understand that they're full of shit are literally lacking the brain functions to even understand that they're full of shit.

I wasn't referring to the Dunning-Kruger effect specifically but it's that sort of thing, I just don't think people are usually aware when they're being hypocritical. Muscular Beaver thinks otherwise and this is just my judgement so I'm happy to agree to disagree.

It is a problem. If we aren't aware of it then recognising this in ourselves is hard because "in my opinion, my opinions are consistent" will be the natural quick conclusion. I think few people consider their perspective from another perspective. This isn't new but it seems amplified.

Of course, someone who disagrees with me might say I don't consider other perspectives and hey, I'm not flawless. No, really.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

113. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Sep 24, 2016, 21:55 Quboid

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 20:59:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 20:02:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 17:22:
snip

The hilarious/sad thing is that's just the last seven days, and only the blatant/major lies. The man is a blackhole of insecurity requiring a steady stream of bluster and bullshit to fill it. Most of us figure out that character matters far more than juvenile dominance displays by about the time we graduate from high school. Why would we give drone strike authority to someone who emotionally and socially never left the high school locker room?

Here's another lie from Trump. Either he lied during the primary debate, or he was lying in his deposition.

Is he capable of doing anything that isn't based around his money? He can't seem to handle anyone who isn't willing to put up with him to get at his wallet. International politics is out of his league; Russia, China, etc would have him for dinner.

Worse than his lies are the jokes about assassination and hacking, and his obviously baseless comments about how the election will be rigged. These are not things a serious political figure should say. Democracy is fragile and he is undermining it. He doesn't care about the high potential for violence on the streets if he loses the election or gets impeached (because without his money's influence, he's just a hotheaded pathological liar).

It's not just drones I'm worried about.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
33. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 24, 2016, 17:48 Quboid

Task wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 13:56:
And to Cutter, aren't you Canadian and you're saying Third Parties can't win? It wasn't long ago when the "liberal party" dropped to third party status in Canada, then came back.

Canada is different. Pretty much everywhere is different, the US is much more dominated by two parties than other democracies.

102. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated] Sep 24, 2016, 16:26 Quboid

Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 15:58:
DV wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 10:59:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 10:17:
The hypocrisy in this thread and on this topic in general is sickening, to say the least.

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it in this thread.
Like always, they dont seem to care. Its like theres a huge competition going on whos the biggest hypocrite. The term hypocrite seems to be a compliment to them.

Who is "they"? People are rarely aware of when they are being hypocritical by their own interpretation, never mind yours. I have no idea who you mean.

84. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated] Sep 24, 2016, 13:28 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 13:02:
[liberals say things like] Look at *that* gay! He's got the wrong opinion, ban him!

Odd. A month ago you said:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 06:53:
If a person turns around and says "we need xyz thing(be it forced quotas, or whatever else) because reasons to get women into an industry" to get people into the industry that's wrong. That's openly promoting a sexist pov, someone like me who supports merit, believes in a meritocracy the only people that should be hired for something are those that a) want to be there. b) have the skills to do the job and show that they're the top.

As you know, "*that* gay" was banned for repeatedly breaking the Twitter terms of service, yet you and people like you call for him to be given special status when it's convenient for you.

82. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash Sep 24, 2016, 13:16 Quboid

Stormsinger wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 12:50:
Quboid wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 21:59:
Slick wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 21:47:
I know I'm going way off topic, but I enjoy Keith Olbermann, he's articulate, perceptive, and unlike most liberal democrats, seems to have the ability to actually get MAD at the shit that should be making people MAD.

Watch this, and tell me what in the hell is going on in America:

https://youtu.be/D7d2ayLb2lg

I quite like him but he is very much seen as a whiny liberal elite and I think he preaches to the choir - i.e. he sounds good only to people who already agree with him. He donated money to the Democrats, which is an incredibly dumb and unethical thing for someone in his position to do. That's a terrible look for a newscaster, much worse than Luckey's foolishness.

Olbermann was never a "newscaster". He went from sportscaster straight to op-ed, because he was so effective at his rants about Bush. I don't really see how it's unethical for an oped host to be up front about his political donations. I do hope (but don't really expect) that he'll reconsider his party affiliations now that the DNC has been caught red-handed being involved in traditionally Republican practices of voter suppression and such.

Oh, apologies, I thought he was a newscaster (what's the normal US word? Anchorman?) before he did op-ed pieces. That's not as bad, although it's possible he could have been wanted to buy favour from the candidates so there's still a conflict of interest.

29. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 23, 2016, 23:15 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 22:08:
Quboid wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 20:48:
What a load of garbage, far right fantasy with no relevance to reality. Honestly, pointing out bigotry is demagogy? Trump isn't just an embarrassment, he is dangerous.

It's legitimately terrifying that people believe that.

I presume you meant shiho. When I say dangerous...

Trump is just Cutter with money.

19. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash Sep 23, 2016, 22:49 Quboid

Slick wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 22:08:
Quboid wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 21:59:
I know I'm going way off topic, but I enjoy Keith Olbermann, he's articulate, perceptive, and unlike most liberal democrats, seems to have the ability to actually get MAD at the shit that should be making people MAD.

I quite like him but he is very much seen as a whiny liberal elite and I think he preaches to the choir - i.e. he sounds good only to people who already agree with him. He donated money to the Democrats, which is an incredibly dumb and unethical thing for someone in his position to do. That's a terrible look for a newscaster, much worse than Luckey's foolishness.

Well, I agree with you, but at the same time he should have the right to support who he wants to support. Although it destroys any idea of impartiality for his profession. I think that his points are well-illustrated, and backed up enough that his facts should stand on their own, and not be up to scrutiny because of his political leanings. Not to mention he's quite obvious an outspoken liberal.

He does have that right, but as with Luckey people have the right to not like it and when his impartiality is in question because of a conflict of interest, like you say, that's a professional problem.

This doesn't mean he doesn't have a point but right off the bat people will distrust him. It's ad hominem but that's how it goes. He blew it, he can't front a persuasive campaign. Someone else needs to make those points.

16. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash Sep 23, 2016, 21:59 Quboid

News Comments > Civilization VI Specifications
5. Re: Civilization VI Specifications Sep 23, 2016, 21:31 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 20:13:
Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 20:09:
No surprise there. It's not like a graphical pig of a game. This is the first Civ I'm going to wait on however. I really don't like how Firaxis is really only selling a partially finished game just to sell DLC to make the game what it should be from the start.

Where are you getting that from? They've said that all the features of Civ 5 with expansions will be in the game at launch. I think that's extremely ambitious but it's what they claimed.

You're waiting on the game because of some DLC civilizations? They've always done that. I don't really give a shit about some extra civs.

I'm wary of that claim to be honest, it sounds like a cheap PR soundbite. Is every feature in with at least as much depth, or do they mean it in general terms "Civ 6 also has diplomacy"?

However, that doesn't have to matter. It's a new game with new ideas and the features should be designed around the new vision. Some old features won't make sense anymore, some will need adapted, some can be considered low priority so ignored (that sounds bad but it's inevitable in every project; they have to draw the line somewhere). Is it good in its own right? Are there any glaring gaps?

I thought base Civ 5 was good and nearly fulfilled that standard (from a design point of view; there were technical issues particularly with AI). It did have a glaring gap in the diplomacy section, where the lack of options compared to Civ 4 really stood out and I immediately knew that DLC would add some sort of UN mechanic. Still, I feel I got good value out of Civ 5 at launch and after buying each expansion pack.

I like what I've seen of Civ 6, I'll probably pick it up after the initial reaction is in.

5. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash Sep 23, 2016, 21:09 Quboid

I don't particularly care about some guy's dumb political views but funding shitposting is ridiculous behaviour for a public figure (or an adult). Making any political statement is going to annoy plenty of people, who are free to think and, to a point, react as they see fit.

It's petty and self-defeating to stop making software for the Rift. That's also childish.

27. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 23, 2016, 20:48 Quboid

What a load of garbage, far right fantasy with no relevance to reality. Honestly, pointing out bigotry is demagogy? Trump isn't just an embarrassment, he is dangerous.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2016, 20:56.

News Comments > Star Citizen Examined
48. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 23, 2016, 15:39 Quboid

ItBurn wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 15:11:
Darks wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 15:08:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 15:04:
Darks wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 14:51:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 13:54:
Darks wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 11:52:
This game was supposed to be delivered on around Nov of 2014 2 years after it was successfully funded on Nov 2012.

That's absolutely false. I don't remember there being a release date when I backed it, but it was pretty clear that this would be a looong time in the making.

You better go and check the Kick starter page again son. It clearly states the game was to be deliver around Nov 2014.

All I can see is that the pledges would be delivered in 2014. If you thought that this would mean the final game, I think the only person you should be mad at here is yourself. Everyone knew it would take a much longer time to make the game. What did you do, back it without even looking at it? If you didn't back it, why are you complaining? I don't need you to give me investment advice. I made it 4 years ago and it's raising in value.

You are so delusional, that date is not just for the pledges, its also for the delivery of the game. Do yourself a favor and go away, if you cant see the reality of this game and whats its become then your a lost cause.

And not once did I ever tell you to not support the game, I only merely pointed out the facts, some you seem to be in denial about.

You're delusional if you think that Kickstarter dates are absolutes.

So there was a release date on Kickstarter after all?

The Kickstarter Nov 2014 release date (which definitely does exist) doesn't matter because we've all known for years that that project doesn't exist any more. Criticising them for changing the project is fair, criticising them for a much larger project taking much more time is not.

News Comments > Star Citizen Examined
6. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 23, 2016, 11:02 Quboid

Heh, good luck Beamer. I'm just going to ignore you-know-who, you were right to call me out last time he was around.  

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 23, 2016, 10:02 Quboid

In 2007-2008 election period, Obama has not been subjected to 1% of the smearing and hatred that Trump has been at the receiving end of.

Obama isn't a massive bigot. Trump is. People hate Trump because Trump hates people.

Obama got plenty of hatred, including loads from racists like Trump.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2016, 10:10.

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
1182. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Sep 22, 2016, 23:16 Quboid

Sounds like the sickness is realistic

I probably won't get VR at this point; it will be a Vive 2 with a Geforce 1170 or something like that. A higher resolution should help readability.

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 22, 2016, 22:07 Quboid

Yeah, I don't really believe any of that. You tried, so it looks like you're trying to convince yourself. You've convinced yourself that Trump is a *victim* of hatred so this is a piece of cake.

It must be hard to imagine that there are people who are capable of separating the human from their politics, and this is a pattern that has become very prominent on the Left.

The second half of that sentence shows that you're not one of the people you refer to in the first half.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 22, 2016, 18:25 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 18:01:
But he is concerned people may not know that some are spreading rumors about her health.

If you say it enough, it becomes true.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 22, 2016, 17:52 Quboid

shiho wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 17:41:
I am really concerned for this woman's health, and think she should drop out and take some serious self-care, because the stress of this election is breaking her.

Going by the previous two posts in your history, I'm gonna have to say that this is massively insincere. I don't know if you're trying to convince us or yourself but I do not believe that you are concerned for Clinton's health in the slightest.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
29. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2016, 17:14 Quboid

Saboth wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 14:40:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 13:48:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 13:19:

Why are you even on this site if you're not a PC gamer?

Presumably because you can enjoy PC games while simultaneously thinking many self-identified "PC gamers" live in an echo chamber of their own making. I don't own a gaming console, and haven't since the N64/PS1 days, but Pachter definitely described PC gamer "culture" to a T.

I think he's correct about them being arrogant, but obviously wrong about "twits". If they were arrogant twits, then they would think their platform is superior, but also be deluded. However, since PC gaming actually is far superior to console gaming in most aspects, they are correct in their assertion, and merely being arrogant about it. Even the new Xbox and PS4 that are supposedly 4k ready are probably around 50% or less as capable as a good gaming PC.

Remember, gameplay is more important than graphics except when comparing PCs to consoles.

I don't know if any one person is inconsistent in this regard but it does strike me that there are two conflicting schools of thought around many old-school PC gamers.

Comparing (not all) PC gamers to racists is a tasteless comparison (and I realise he didn't mean they're as bad). I'm glad he apologised for that. Arrogant? Yes. Merited? To a point; performance does matter and it isn't the only thing PCs have over consoles. However, being obnoxious is not merited.

6019 Comments. 301 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo