Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5665 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released
24. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released May 19, 2016, 22:46 Quboid

ItBurn wrote on May 19, 2016, 15:06:
I'm Canadian. Is this really a US centric site? Like a lot of things, the US were first in the world at some point, but things change... In my opinion, Montreal is the real mecca of video games these days and that's in Canada.

I'm British, although I've been known to be Irish. I'd say it's slightly US centric. Blue is American, the time-zone is American (although may also be Canadian). If I say football, I expect people to think American Football rather than soccer or any other version.

I would assume a price that isn't labelled or is just labelled dollars to be USD because chances are, I don't know where the hell you're from. You guys all exist on the Internet. If it's not USD, you're just telling say "this game costs 492 money" and that means nothing.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 19, 2016, 17:52 Quboid

saluk wrote on May 19, 2016, 17:08:
How is it better than a mouse? Several ways, but the most concrete is that when you have a sense of where an enemy is, even if he is off screen, you can aim at him, and shoot him, using your proprioceptive sense of where your hand is pointed, and hit him, while looking elsewhere and tracking another target. (A little more useful in something like Space Pirate Trainer where you get a gun in each hand)

See, this is why videos of VR never have the wow factor that many advocates seem to think they do. It doesn't look immersive, it feels immersive in a way that you have to experience. The sense of physical space and distance isn't there in videos.

Being able to look around in a flight simulator and still control my aircraft has been a problem for me, I would never be able to feel where my aircraft is flying. I've struggled with this for decades; joystick hat, mouse, TrackIR; I would always lose my sense of flight direction and risk crashing into a hillside. 99.9% of the time, I'd be locked to forward view.

I tried a flight sim with a Rift DK1 and immediately this was perfect. I flew past a tank to ID it, watching it go past my wing with the hedgerows and in that moment I felt like a holy grail of gaming had been achieved. It was so, so easy. Everything was subconscious, I just knew where the plane was facing even when I was looking over my shoulder. There were a lot of problems, many that still exist in newer headsets, but that moment, god damn, literally decades of trying and suddenly yes. Yes yes yes.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 19, 2016, 17:03 Quboid

The Half Elf wrote on May 19, 2016, 16:39:
Slick wrote on May 19, 2016, 13:02:
So 180-190 FPS @ 1440p with 4x AA in BF4. Means that 140ish FPS @ 1440p in other games without 4x AA should definitely be attainable.

Why the fuck doesn't every game use Frostbite? It's just so ridiculously optimized.

Optimized? Really? Is that why Dragon Age Inq was a cluster fuck until the 5th or 6th patch?

To be fair it has powered several excellent looking, excellent performing games. One bad egg means the blame is probably with the DA:I team.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 18, 2016, 12:43 Quboid

TheEmissary wrote on May 18, 2016, 10:08:
If you read the article you would know that this isn't about the content of the review but how Metacritic assigned the 40/100 score. It scanned the review looking for certain words and weighted it as a 40/100 review for what ever reason. The actual review never gave a score at all. This is where the outrage is coming from.

Yes it is about the content of the review, the score issue is an additional point (and this has been Metacritic's policy for as long as I can remember).

He is "okay with the guy expressing his opinion", but as it's not within 20% of the petition author's opinion, it's unprofessional and not objective. Because "a review is not about what you think a game is", naturally. A few of us were just talking about this a week ago...

There's also a suggestion that this is a parody review, apparently because WaPo filed it under "comic riffs" - despite this evidently being where they file geek culture stuff in general.

- Quboid

News Comments > Acer Partners for StarVR
39. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 16, 2016, 20:22 Quboid

Is it really thick skinned to need a defense mechanism for when someone criticises your monitor brand?

I was agreeing with you on that SimCity stuff (and I said that you're not a shill) but I didn't get those sorts of comments thrown at me. Why? Because I talked about facts and hoped for the best, you talked about facts and aggressively insisted it will be the best. Those shill accusations were, as usual, unfair and arrogant but otherwise you gave as good as you got.

If you don't like the negativity, don't contribute to it. This is not a one time thing with you. Virtually none of the posts towards me are insulting, yet I'm quite capable of disagreeing with people. In fact, I was voted Most Disagreeable in my class!

- Quboid

35. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 16, 2016, 17:33 Quboid

I don't doubt that you're correct and I have no issue with your second paragraph where you explain the facts. You corrected someone and in doing so, you informed me as I had considered Acer to be a cheap brand. I don't presume that this matters to you, but you'd have my respect for that.

It's just ... why you gotta be so mean? Someone on the Internet is wrong, it happens. A lot. So much even my delicate sensibilities are numb to it.

I wonder if Blue agrees that "this is BN" justifies being pointlessly rude.

- Quboid

30. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 16, 2016, 15:58 Quboid

Slick wrote on May 16, 2016, 10:17:
fuck that guy who was bitching about how Acer is garbage, he set the tone, I only reciprocated.

You personally insulted somebody who you disagree with, that's a very different to describing a company's products as garbage. Your tone looks more like CJ_Parker's than Parallax Abstraction's.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Dates Leaked?
6. Re: Steam Summer Sale Dates Leaked? May 16, 2016, 11:30 Quboid

Between refunds making short, deep discounts uncommon and most of us having a Steam library with plenty of barely (or completely un-) touched games, these don't have the appeal that they used to.  

- Quboid

19. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 15, 2016, 23:14 Quboid

Slick wrote on May 15, 2016, 23:07:
You must be painfully uninformed, or just retarded.

[...]

But you know, who needs facts when you can just check your gut from 1998 and assume that nothing has changed since. There's not enough eyeroll emoticons for this thread.

You know you can correct people without insulting them? You should try doing that.

- Quboid

News Comments > DOOM Released
132. Re: DOOM Released May 14, 2016, 22:36 Quboid

Dr donkles wrote on May 14, 2016, 22:28:
I was wondering that. "Kites"? Is that trying to be racist and failing? I don't even know what to say there.

I'm pretty sure that was just a flippant suggestion for a new hobby and not a scene from Porky's.

- Quboid

106. Re: DOOM Released May 14, 2016, 08:34 Quboid

Bumpy wrote on May 14, 2016, 08:03:
bigspender wrote on May 14, 2016, 07:58:
http://s32.postimg.org/hottvgxth/Doo_M4.png

Pretty much this. It's fairly fun to play, but it's not the Doom I was after, and it wears thin very fast.

I don't get it. I don't have the game yet but all seems to point that Doom 2016 is classic Doom updated on modern hardware.

What is Doom 2016 missing?

Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be?

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black May 13, 2016, 22:42 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on May 13, 2016, 21:35:
Well mission accomplished huh?
That's what they were going for right?

I can't see what the hell else they were going for. I mean, there isn't even room to drive away ... not that that would be a good idea, but it is technically an idea. That would be an improvement.

- Quboid

83. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 21:11 Quboid

headkase wrote on May 13, 2016, 19:45:
Reading comments in the vein of "should not buy from resellers so that the dev gets good money." I bought from Green Man Gaming, a pre-order, with a 25% off coupon. I paid CDN$20 or so less than if I had bought it directly off Steam. Here's the thing: I would have bought it off Steam if I could. I only have a VISA Debit card, no real credit card and getting one of those is not possible, and for some stupid reason Steam does not accept VISA Debit cards. GoG does, GMG does, lots of places do - just not Steam. So, literally, Valve will not take my money so I have to buy on GMG and redeem the product key on Steam. And GMG does not have nearly the selection Steam does so not being able to buy directly, the full catalog, from Steam still does piss me off.

Edit: And Origin and UPlay also accept my VISA Debit card.

GMG is a reputable reseller, that's no problem. They buy the keys legitimately and money flows back to Valve (if it's a Steam game) and the developer.

Less reputable resellers get their keys from goodness knows where, but when a game is being sold well below the price on Steam or GMG, it's a fair bet that something is up. It's probably a legit key for another part of the world but it might well be illegally gained, such as with stolen credit card numbers.

BTW, I pay for games on Steam with a debit card by using Paypal.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2016, 17:33 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on May 13, 2016, 13:48:
Quboid wrote on May 13, 2016, 09:31:
Blue talked about this in OotB a while back. Since then I've found Fahrenheit to be a bit easier to understand but all the same, 0 F and 100 F aren't that much use. That corresponds to -17C and 38C, either of which would be about 10 degrees Celsius past triggering a national emergency.
Where would 38C would be a national emergency, Greenland?

I don't actually know if there is a threshold for a national emergency but I'm in Northern Ireland, the highest temperature ever recorded here is 30.8 °C.

During a heatwave of about 27 °C a few years back, a nearby hospital sent a warning to parents of newborns to take the child to the local supermarket's chilled food section during the warmest part of the day. I'd be getting worried about my elderly neighbour at that point. Few people have air conditioning as we rarely get much over 20 degrees.

- Quboid

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2016, 14:54 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on May 13, 2016, 14:47:
A child swallows a battery every 3 hours. This remarkable pill-sized origami robot could remove them.

The child they use as an example wouldn't have been helped by the technology described in the article.

For a moment, I thought this was incredibly unethical research ... until I realised that this wasn't one child being force fed watch batteries.

Those researchers would deserve to be charged with battery

- Quboid

42. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 13:46 Quboid

Darks wrote on May 13, 2016, 12:56:
BobBob wrote on May 13, 2016, 12:52:
Is TB getting better? I remember reading he was ill. Good news if he's cured / recovered / surviving.

I havent heard and was wondering that myself. Most likely he's in remission. Hope he's doing better though.

Last I heard, a few months ago, he was in a pretty bad way. His initial cancer was in remission, but it reappeared in a more aggressive form which is very likely to be terminal. I presume this is why he's doing rough videos like this Doom one, rather than many of the more laborious "WTF Is" ones. Poor blighter.

- Quboid

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2016, 09:31 Quboid

SunnyD wrote on May 12, 2016, 19:46:
Pigeon wrote on May 12, 2016, 17:01:
I remember hearing or reading somewhere that Fahrenheit is generally better for relating temperature in increments that align more with human comfort levels.

I remember reading the same thing http://cdn.webfail.com/upl/img/d3e1289c2ee/post2.jpg

Fahrenheit just seems warm and fuzzier.

~Finis~

Blue talked about this in OotB a while back. Since then I've found Fahrenheit to be a bit easier to understand but all the same, 0 F and 100 F aren't that much use. That corresponds to -17C and 38C, either of which would be about 10 degrees Celsius past triggering a national emergency.

- Quboid

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 15:17 Quboid

jimnms wrote on May 12, 2016, 14:12:
Cutter wrote on May 12, 2016, 11:32:
America: The last holdout from the metric system.

Doesn't England still use miles and gallons?

All of the UK officially uses metric, although long distances uses miles so our speed limits are in MPH with signs along the Irish border warning drivers of the change from/to KPH limits. In practise we use a bit of both depending on our generation. My parents tend to use imperial but are pretty fluent in metric, I use metric but am pretty fluent in ye olde imperial. I'd guess previous and future generations are less bi-lingual in this regard.

Liberia and Myanmar are still holding out.

This comment was edited on May 12, 2016, 15:22.

- Quboid

News Comments > Civilization VI Announced
21. Re: Civilization VI Announced May 11, 2016, 15:21 Quboid

I've enjoyed each Civ more than the previous one. I like how 1UPT makes combat feel more tactical and less about who had the biggest number on their stack of doom. This sort of complexity adds more than per-city happiness, which is just busy-work IMHO.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2016, 20:29 Quboid

theglaze wrote on May 10, 2016, 17:45:
Quinn wrote on May 10, 2016, 17:27:
I can't see this come off the ground with the pricetag involved on both the VR and the PC hardware necessary to run games properly. I can't see publishers willing to invest in making VR games, if only a relative handful of rich elitists are your target group.

I'm tired of the 'it's too expensive' argument.

1) Technology always get's more capable and cheaper over time. Look at smart phones, models that went went for $300 plus a contract a couple years ago are being given away for free.

2) Gaming is a hobby, and like all hobbies, there are different levels of commitment and investment. If someone likes golf but can only afford miniature golf and plastic putters, that doesn't mean $800 drivers and 18 hole golf courses shouldn't exist.

It's called early adoption. Google it. This is all part of bigger movement. The impatience of "it needs to be better today" is ignorant consumerism.

Please don't take it personally, your perspective is very common.

Tech products that succeed start off expensive and get cheaper. Tech products that don't succeed start off expensive and die off.

The price is one reason why I'm not buying a VR headset yet. That other people are waiting because of the price is another reason why I'm not buying a headset. This is not healthy for the ecosystem.

- Quboid

5665 Comments. 284 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo