Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5662 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > No Man's Sky Delay Confirmed
33. Re: No Man's Sky Delay Confirmed May 29, 2016, 18:30 Quboid

Dacron wrote on May 29, 2016, 17:30:
Every complaint I've heard against Elite Dangerous takes aim directly at its gameplay, as it was designed to be.

Maybe you should have figured out what you were buying before buying it, rather than saying there needs to be a narrative. The game delivered EXACTLY what it promised (minus offline component) with the gameplay they promised.

This whole "elite needed more" argument is just people not getting what they expected, when they expected something ED never was intended to be. Elite was a masterpiece of what it was, and was intended to be. Which isn't for everyone. You have Star Citizen to be everything else.

It's not "a narrative", it's "narrative". Not (necessarily) a scripted series of missions but some reason to keep playing, some motivation to go to the next place.

In Euro Truck Simulator 2, I wanted to see more of the map and visit each city (which definitely weren't masterpieces, but were unique) and make small but noticeable changes to my vehicle. In Elite Dangerous, I saw the same 6 (?) space stations and a whole lot of black and what really killed it for me was what 1badmf alluded to: I saved up, got a fancy new ship and ... very little changed. I went to the same 6 stations and clicked on slightly larger numbers. There was no reason to visit any of the other 399,999,999,950 systems.

I love open-ended games so I expected to enjoy Elite Dangerous. I knew what to expect and I think it is a very good game in most ways. That's why it's disappointing, that this one problem affected my enjoyment of an otherwise fine game. I'm pretty hopeful for Planet Coaster thanks to ED's quality, but I'm quite discouraged over proc-gen because of ED's one glaring flaw. There's some sort of exploration/completionist bug that it doesn't satisfy in me.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: No Man's Sky Delay Confirmed May 29, 2016, 13:34 Quboid

Tachikoma wrote on May 29, 2016, 10:27:
Quboid wrote on May 29, 2016, 08:49:
Those qualities are valued as much today as ever, the difference is that standards are much higher today. 20+ years ago, Elite was as good as it got. Now, we can hand-craft The Witcher 3 and suddenly 400,000,000,000 similar star systems just isn't that appealing.

Civilisation has always used proc-gen maps and it has remained a favourite of mine because it puts a game on top. It doesn't give me a scouting unit and billions of map tiles and tell me to go nuts.

There`s a quite a heap of contradicting confusion for such a short post, but I must admit, it encapsulates the situation rather well.

Comparing The Witcher to The Elite for example shows the whole misunderstanding of people who want to cling to their preferred playstyle and mistakenly think it`s the only valid one.

More curious is cherrypicking Civilization as a "good" procgen game while slamming another one -which haven`t even been released yet. That just plain don`t make any sense, apart from maybe the Civ being a sacred cow and all that.

Overall, it`s a clash of styles. Some people "get" why No Man`s Sky is the most promising AAA release in decades, others (majority?) like their Witchers better and seem terribly afraid of the other side.

Now, there shouldn`t be a reason why the two couldn`t coexist - (I play both, though I`m rather bored with scripted&linear worlds and seldom finish such games) but "reason" is not a much valued quality these days.

The comparison between TW3 and Elite wasn't about play style, it was about world generation on advanced hardware. I mentioned Civilisation as an example of a good game that uses proc-gen appropriately rather than using it as a selling point. I'm critical of Elite Dangerous because it was a bit disappointing and of NMS because I'm not impressed by what they've shown off.

I'd like No Man's Sky to be a great game but I don't think that's likely because I don't "get" it. It just looks like pre-release hype to me, I'm afraid.

- Quboid

21. Re: No Man's Sky Delay Confirmed May 29, 2016, 08:49 Quboid

Tachikoma wrote on May 29, 2016, 05:46:
DangerDog wrote on May 28, 2016, 19:30:
Considering how unaccommodating gamers are to open sandbox games like Elite Dangerous I can't see this being a success without a hand holding scripted campaign.

This is what blows my mind really...it`s 2016 and yet people seem to be stuck with decades old mindset.

I`m joking of course: back in the day openness, emergence and freedom were truly appreciated and something I hoped will expand much more with advancements in hardware. Games like Pirates, Civ, XCOM and yeah, Elite, were celebrated masterpieces.

But nowadays people will bleat on how procgen is "empty" or that there`s "nothing to do" despite a fuckton of evidence that says otherwise.

Those qualities are valued as much today as ever, the difference is that standards are much higher today. 20+ years ago, Elite was as good as it got. Now, we can hand-craft The Witcher 3 and suddenly 400,000,000,000 similar star systems just isn't that appealing.

Civilisation has always used proc-gen maps and it has remained a favourite of mine because it puts a game on top. It doesn't give me a scouting unit and billions of map tiles and tell me to go nuts.

- Quboid

8. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... May 28, 2016, 16:08 Quboid

Vio wrote on May 28, 2016, 15:54:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 28, 2016, 15:17:
Somehow I feel like I'll be able to watch some youtube videos and feel as if i've experienced all the game has to offer.
This is my sentiment, it doesn't look like there's any objective game to it, just pretty systems. I hope I'm wrong, since it is rather pretty.

But you won't be able to name stuff, which seems to be the extent of the gameplay.

Procedural content isn't endless content, it's empty content. It doesn't have to have a plot but there needs to be some reason to keep playing and as proc-gen doesn't feel satisfying to explore, seeing the next planet probably isn't going to be good enough for me.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2016, 16:21 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on May 27, 2016, 15:30:
Fran's is a Saint.

Fran's what, favourite fictional thief?

- Quboid

News Comments > Planet Coaster Early Bird Alpha 2
1. Re: Planet Coaster Early Bird Alpha 2 May 25, 2016, 18:54 Quboid

I've seen a few videos of this, it looks very promising. Parkitect is also shaping up well but I think Planet Coaster will be better. RollerCoaster Tycoon World looks like a bit of a train wreak.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 23, 2016, 14:21 Quboid

Bypassing DRM means a Cease and Desist is the least the Revive maker will have to worry about.

Lack of software is a serious threat to VR, segmenting the market is the dumbest thing they could do.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2016, 22:39 Quboid

So, what's your next username going to be?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 May 22, 2016, 22:23 Quboid

Ant wrote on May 22, 2016, 22:04:
rudra wrote on May 22, 2016, 18:46:
getting ASCII art to work here is a fucking chore dude
Does BN even support fixed width fonts to make ASCII art work?

+---------------+
| Use Code Tags |
+---------------+

Spacing doesn't work, any number of spaces just becomes one. Needs Frans to changes spaces in the code tag to non-breaking spaces.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 May 22, 2016, 17:53 Quboid

Blue acknowledges the one-game-multiple-entries after someone took exception to Blue using Valve's label so I think he has simply missed TW3 this time.

I must play that. I didn't have time to sink into it when it came out and it should be a bit more polished now.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
25. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2016, 08:33 Quboid

He can't review a movie because he had an opinion of the trailer? That's an utter load of nonsense. Again, you don't have a clue what concepts like bias or objectivity mean.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 21, 2016, 11:11 Quboid

There's a lot more to it than a monitor but not trying to get universal support could be the death of VR at this time. I'm not buying 2 headsets and I'm not buying 1 if it might lose the race and be abandoned by developers. I'm sure I'm far from the only one.  

- Quboid

23. Re: Morning Metaverse May 21, 2016, 09:49 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 21, 2016, 06:30:
Beamer wrote on May 21, 2016, 00:59:
Ok, MA. Let's ignore that few of what you linked to there says anything about sexism.

Let's look at your history on Blues. Anything that involves women tends to get you, well, angrily posting. Anything at all. If women are mentioned, particularly in a "women get the lesser end of this" context, you get angry.

Do you ever consider that maybe, just maybe, you're a bit sexist in what you care about and how you react?

Honest question. You are extremely involved in gender issues, and always take the "women need to shut up" angle.

Assumptions are always a good way to make you look like an ass, doing a pretty bang up job at it so far. Especially the suggestion that I get angry, if I was actually angry you'd know. If anything, I find that more amusing then anything. Perhaps you're so invested in this you find "anger in it" because someone holds a contrary viewpoint. But it's always good to see that someone brings out the "you're a sexist, because reasons" angle.

But no, I'm not extremely involved in gender issues and don't take the "women need to shut up" angle. Rather I take a "you want equality, you can play by the same rules as everyone else" angle. That means merit rules the day, but sadly in this day and age the usual response to that is meritocracy is sexist/racist/homophobic because reasons. Unfortunately or fortunately you seem to take the "WAW effect" to the extremes, and that is a fine example of sexism. Then again, I did too...~15 years or so ago, then I figured out that all that really matters is results.

But let's roll back to all of those articles floating around shall we? How do you reconcile 22+ articles all attacking a reviewer and fans of the movies as sexist because they believe that the trailer is a steaming pile of garbage. Why do you support such blatant sexism?

Meritocracy? He wasn't going to review it. Reviewing bad stuff is literally the AVGN characters's entire reason to exist yet this - a movie he hasn't even seen - is going too far. Where's the equality? Even by your argument, James Rolfe was being sexist, you just didn't notice because you are sexist too - something you have repeatedly demonstrated.

I commented that "Ghostbusters looks rubbish therefore criticism is never sexist" is moronic with exactly this in mind. Sometimes, people are just sexist and *not* calling them out is ridiculous.

- Quboid

News Comments > Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released
36. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released May 20, 2016, 18:53 Quboid

Rigs wrote on May 20, 2016, 05:14:
Quboid wrote on May 19, 2016, 23:00:
Rigs wrote on May 19, 2016, 22:55:
Holy fucking christ on a stick, are we REALLY having this discussion?!

=-Rigs-=

... yes?

Why not, because it's obvious?

Ya think?

=-Rigs-=

I was a bit surprised that there was any doubt, I didn't really notice who was saying what.

- Quboid

18. Re: Morning Metaverse May 20, 2016, 17:51 Quboid

Pigeon wrote on May 20, 2016, 17:17:
People are just reacting/overreacting to the usage of sabotage in the title, which has insidious connotations. The data presented in the article doesn't really address why, only what is. I'd suggest the large disparity in (n) between genders warrants a more robust statistical method than simply comparing averages if they want to come to any conclusion that has weight.

It is a rather dumb title. Quite a dumb article too as it doesn't really have that much to say. I feel it's part of the moronic "Ghostbusters stars women therefore criticism is all sexist / Ghostbusters looks rubbish therefore criticism is never sexist" discussion that is going on in some corners of the Internet.

- Quboid

11. Re: Morning Metaverse May 20, 2016, 14:26 Quboid

Pigeon wrote on May 20, 2016, 10:53:
Maybe it's in the article and I didn't see it, but I get the feeling there are a lot more men raters in general, which could heavily skew the results.

They do specify exactly this:
Seventy percent of IMDb TV show raters are men, according to my analysis, and that results in shows with predominantly female audiences getting screwed.

Absolutely nothing in the article accuses men of being inherently sexist or compares giving a bad review to rape, despite what the poor little victims in this thread are saying. It's not saying that a man leaving a bad review on film he didn't like is sabotage.

The article basically says that more reviewers are men than women and that some reviewers are sexist. Are either of those incorrect?

This comment was edited on May 20, 2016, 14:32.

- Quboid

26. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released May 19, 2016, 23:00 Quboid

Rigs wrote on May 19, 2016, 22:55:
Holy fucking christ on a stick, are we REALLY having this discussion?!

=-Rigs-=

... yes?

Why not, because it's obvious?

- Quboid

24. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released May 19, 2016, 22:46 Quboid

ItBurn wrote on May 19, 2016, 15:06:
I'm Canadian. Is this really a US centric site? Like a lot of things, the US were first in the world at some point, but things change... In my opinion, Montreal is the real mecca of video games these days and that's in Canada.

I'm British, although I've been known to be Irish. I'd say it's slightly US centric. Blue is American, the time-zone is American (although may also be Canadian). If I say football, I expect people to think American Football rather than soccer or any other version.

I would assume a price that isn't labelled or is just labelled dollars to be USD because chances are, I don't know where the hell you're from. You guys all exist on the Internet. If it's not USD, you're just telling say "this game costs 492 money" and that means nothing.

- Quboid

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 19, 2016, 17:52 Quboid

saluk wrote on May 19, 2016, 17:08:
How is it better than a mouse? Several ways, but the most concrete is that when you have a sense of where an enemy is, even if he is off screen, you can aim at him, and shoot him, using your proprioceptive sense of where your hand is pointed, and hit him, while looking elsewhere and tracking another target. (A little more useful in something like Space Pirate Trainer where you get a gun in each hand)

See, this is why videos of VR never have the wow factor that many advocates seem to think they do. It doesn't look immersive, it feels immersive in a way that you have to experience. The sense of physical space and distance isn't there in videos.

Being able to look around in a flight simulator and still control my aircraft has been a problem for me, I would never be able to feel where my aircraft is flying. I've struggled with this for decades; joystick hat, mouse, TrackIR; I would always lose my sense of flight direction and risk crashing into a hillside. 99.9% of the time, I'd be locked to forward view.

I tried a flight sim with a Rift DK1 and immediately this was perfect. I flew past a tank to ID it, watching it go past my wing with the hedgerows and in that moment I felt like a holy grail of gaming had been achieved. It was so, so easy. Everything was subconscious, I just knew where the plane was facing even when I was looking over my shoulder. There were a lot of problems, many that still exist in newer headsets, but that moment, god damn, literally decades of trying and suddenly yes. Yes yes yes.

- Quboid

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 19, 2016, 17:03 Quboid

The Half Elf wrote on May 19, 2016, 16:39:
Slick wrote on May 19, 2016, 13:02:
So 180-190 FPS @ 1440p with 4x AA in BF4. Means that 140ish FPS @ 1440p in other games without 4x AA should definitely be attainable.

Why the fuck doesn't every game use Frostbite? It's just so ridiculously optimized.

Optimized? Really? Is that why Dragon Age Inq was a cluster fuck until the 5th or 6th patch?

To be fair it has powered several excellent looking, excellent performing games. One bad egg means the blame is probably with the DA:I team.

- Quboid

5662 Comments. 284 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo