Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 6208 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2018, 19:08 Quboid

It was not green, however, as there are some lines I just won't cross.

Ireland thanks you.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Bill of Rights Trailer
9. Re: Far Cry 5 Bill of Rights Trailer Mar 16, 2018, 23:51 Quboid

DangerDog wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 18:56:
Quboid wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 18:36:
Have they said anything about lootboxes or microtransactions?

yes, scroll down a bit and see it in today's news.

Oh yes, thank you. That's ... well I've seen much worse, but I'm never happy with a design that gives devs a reason to make their own game worse.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Bill of Rights Trailer
2. Re: Far Cry 5 Bill of Rights Trailer Mar 16, 2018, 18:36 Quboid

Have they said anything about lootboxes or microtransactions?  

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2018, 11:58 Quboid

Excuse me Mr. Prez but Donald Trump's popularity has been steadily decreasing ever since I changed my signature. Don't tell me activism doesn't work.

Serious, activism matters (and seriously, my sig was never an attempt at activism). Awareness matters, people need to talk about the problem for what you would call meaningful action to be noticed, to be understood, to be supported. Some people will get annoyed at the activism because if it wasn't a contentious issue then there wouldn't be a problem. Some activists will be loopy and counter-productive (which the critics will try to solely focus on) but if a movement has merit it can generally overcome these setbacks.

I "credit" the Westboro cult with helping get marriage equality sooner, that was counter-productive. Their activism made being against gay marriage toxic, which accelerated the rate at which the rest of the movement's lack of merit was exposed.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2018, 14:13.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2018, 17:27 Quboid

Pigeon wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 16:53:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 16:16:
Vulkan wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 14:09:
Pigeon wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 14:04:
I mean Plants vs. Zombies = border control!? WTF?

Gotta admit, had to check I wasn't reading The Onion. Politics aside, this article deserves some kind of prize for its unintentional comedic value.

Or worse, intentional satire disguised as a serious OP ED. If you read the entire text satirical it also makes a lot more sense.

Maybe it's more insidious than that. Maybe it's a Russian troll out to stir up the right by passing this ridiculousness off as part of 'The Liberal Agenda'

This isn't unusual for The Guardian. I consider their news reporting to be among the best in the world, but their opinion section can be incredibly hand-wringy. They could have had a point about GamerGate and 4chan, although as others have said that's not a cause but a symptom.

Pretty sure Tropico is completely communist anyway. Even if you take the most capitalist options, you're still the government running every business and controlling every citizen.

News Comments > White House Game Summit Recap
48. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 20:23 Quboid

Orogogus wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 18:56:
Quboid wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 18:18:
Reporting that leads to copycats is reporting that glorifies the killer. Stuff like this utter disgrace, literally giving a murderer the rock star treatment. But hey, sales doubled...

Definitely report on the event, the victims, even the killer - but save reporting on the killer to a dry paragraph deep in the article or towards the end of the TV segment. Inform, but don't make killers famous.

I feel like that speaks to my point. If people will snap up Rolling Stone magazine to learn more about the Boston bomber, doesn't that suggest that if large media outlets don't report this kind of information, people will find somewhere that does?

I think the question is, do people want to know more about these killers? And if the answer is yes, we're kind of stuck because that kind of thing's easy to find on the Internet. And it also gives free rein to sites that swear that the Florida shooter was an anti-NRA Democrat, or a member of a white supremacist group, or whatever.

Although, I may not be understanding the context here. That Rolling Stone cover is pretty extreme, literally a rock star treatment. I don't think most shooters get that.

Thankfully no, they don't. That's the worst I've seen.

This information does need to be out there, both because people have a right to know and because, as you say, people will find out anyway and proper reporting is at least somewhat more reliable than most sources. Speaking of the Boston marathon bombing, afterwards Reddit was pointing out every brown person with a backpack who was there.

It would be nice if all large media outlets be more responsible (less focus on the killer) but there's no reason why they would. I don't know of any way to enforce responsible reporting even in countries without the 1st amendment.

News Comments > White House Game Summit Recap
43. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 18:18 Quboid

Orogogus wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 18:05:
saluk wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 17:49:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 14:10:
Right, because nobody does this for the instant notoriety the press issues them. Oh, wait...

Why do they do it has many answers and no one really knows for sure which would have the biggest impact. Would not repeating there names or making a big deal about it on the news prevent them? Maybe. I do think that's one avenue that could be looked into.

How they do it though is a well known and solvable problem.

I'll bend a little on 1st amendment if you do on 2nd. Fines or losing tax breaks for news organizations above a certain income who report on stories in ways that may lead to copycats. If the penalties are to the corporation and not to individuals I'm kinda OK with that.

It just seems unworkable to me in the Internet age. What kind of reporting leads to copycats? Is the idea that the news outlets don't even report on the school shooting? Students and teachers dead, the area cordoned off with SWAT teams and helicopters on scene, communication on publicly available police and emergency radio bands, and the local and national outlets just agree not to say anything about it? People posting about their dead children or classmates, and nothing? Someone gets booked on 17 counts of first degree murder and no one jumps on that publicly available information? So they just leave it to bloggers?

It just seems to me that the end game would be people getting all their news from sites that don't even have reporters. Or is that we want to immediately jump to a state-owned media, like the totalitarian Chinese, and straight up imprison people for crimes against the state to scare them into submission?

Reporting that leads to copycats is reporting that glorifies the killer. Stuff like this utter disgrace, literally giving a murderer the rock star treatment. But hey, sales doubled...

Definitely report on the event, the victims, even the killer - but save reporting on the killer to a dry paragraph deep in the article or towards the end of the TV segment. Inform, but don't make killers famous.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 9, 2018, 13:05 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 10:53:
Once again we see Apple is wholly evil, as are the people who support them.

What other company publicly reports and reacts to this kind of stuff? Can you please tell me who you buy from, so I can avoid being wholly evil?

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Anniversary and Sales Milestone
6. Re: Cities: Skylines Anniversary and Sales Milestone Mar 8, 2018, 18:49 Quboid

Fion wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 15:03:
Wait, Surviving Mars is an expansion to Cities: Skylines? It's from a completely different company.

It's a completely separate game, only the publisher is the same.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2018, 21:41 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 21:26:
And Sam Rockwell won!, Three Billboards is a great dark comedy even thought it's labeled Drama/Crime.

I was expecting a mother's crusade for justice. Not quite! It's very Cohen Brothersy.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2018, 22:19.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2018, 20:22 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 15:14:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 14:58:
Three Billboards and Get Out were both excellent movies in their own right, but I don't know if they are Best Movie territory. Have not seen Shape of H2O or I Tonja.
Both Mother! and Lady Bird were enjoyable.
The Apes movie was meh, same for Dunkirk and Blade Runner did not hold a candle to the original.

A bunch of the Oscar movies are on Amazon Prime streaming. I saw Shape of Water and Lady Bird up there last night.

Also love me some Sam Rockwell. Hoping he wins too.

You're in luck.

Three Billboards has a hell of a cast.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2018, 19:28 Quboid

Zoom wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 18:35:
JayDeath wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 17:03:
I'm finally understanding how I should be playing KC:D. It's a bugfest atm but it's really something special.
Some say it's the new Gothic, i suppose (if we refer to Gothic 2 which is the best of the series IMHO), if true then it's indeed very special.

I've been following it; the initial reaction was that it was buggy but beyond that, it's an excellent game. I hear the combat is love-it-or-hate-it. How buggy is it now?

Non-fantasy medieval is interesting to me. It's not a time period I'm particularly interested in, but every time I play a fantasy game I wonder what it would be like without magic/etc - and if a dev goes down this less flashy route, it makes sense to go for a slower, more realistic pace.

I loved Gothic 3 + Community patch. Half the ambition of The Elderscrolls, twice the heart.

News Comments > Trump Calls Game Meeting
70. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 3, 2018, 01:00 Quboid

Weird how Trump supporters like ventry are so keen to tie everything to the election. It's almost like they've had a 13 month long dumpster fire with nothing to show for it. Well, tax cuts for billionaires. Well done.  

News Comments > Trump Calls Game Meeting
52. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 15:37 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 14:42:
Prez wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 13:32:
Maybe I'm the only one that thinks having a summit at the White House with game developers is a FAR better solution than the President immediately holding a press conference calling on Congress to come up with anti-gaming legislatuon. It's no secret that politicians and old people generally have no understanding of the games industry. And Washington is chock full of both. This is an opportunity for the industry representatives to educate some very significant and powerful politicians. The worst that can happen is that the President and whoever else attends choose to not listen and remain willfully ignorant, in which case nothing is lost. On the other hand, the possibility exists that the old out-of-touch dinosaurs might actually learn something. Maybe they will even learn enough to avoid sounding like idiots when the subject of violence in games inevitably comes up again. Hey a guy can dream.

That's how I see it. More pessimistic than you, but not that they'll learn something, but that they'll just forget.

It's good that they might be willing to listen, but it's ridiculous that they need this conversion. Even if they are as out of touch as they sound, they should be informed by their own people that this is a bad idea before anything is said publicly.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 2, 2018, 10:16 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 23:42:
It was a joke with bad timing. Talk about massive overreach and overreaction. I'm sure this'll be getting overturned in short order.

Prosecutors maintained this was unacceptable, particularly following the mass shooting at a Florida school last month.

Yeah, maybe they'd like to stick to their jobs instead of playing fascist arbiter of what is and isn't acceptable. A joke even in bad taste is still legal...for now.

So, you don't actually know what a prosecutor does, do you?

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Feb 25, 2018, 10:21 Quboid

MeanJim wrote on Feb 25, 2018, 00:52:
In fact all violent crime has seen a downward trend over the past 20 years.
That's something you never see on the news, because scaring people gets better ratings/more viewers.

There's also less to report. Studies into trends in violent crime can't dominate a news cycle, even in less sensationalist media. Bad things often happen suddenly, good things are more likely to happen gradually.

News Comments > Trump Calls Out Video Games
173. Re: Trump Calls Out Video Games Feb 24, 2018, 20:21 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 24, 2018, 20:14:
Dangit, you went back and added the s.

Yep, I forgot about Poe's Law.

170. Re: Trump Calls Out Video Games Feb 24, 2018, 16:44 Quboid

Zoom wrote on Feb 24, 2018, 16:26:
Quboid wrote on Feb 24, 2018, 15:39:
They're also armed with knives. Checkmate, hypocrite.
Yeah right. Let's see FBI crime figures quickly here.
Deaths in 2016 by guns (firearms, handguns, rifles, etc.): 11004
Deaths in 2016 by knives or cutting instruments: 1604
Who's the hypocrite ?

Let's put it otherwise.
Gun deaths per mil. in the US: 31.2
in Germany: 2.1
in France: 2.0
in Japan (strong gun ban): 0.1

The USA is on par with 3rd world countries that are experiencing civil war, or Mexico where there are drug wars raging. At the moment the rest of civilized world is looking at you like the retarded bullies that you are..

But high-power guns like AR-15s have so many uses apart from killing. What can you do with a knife apart from kill people?

Oh wait, that's stupid. Maybe gun control would be a good idea.

(Joking aside, I was making fun of NicklePop's "I don't understand it therefore it doesn't make sense" interpretation of hypocrisy.)

168. Re: Trump Calls Out Video Games Feb 24, 2018, 15:39 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Feb 24, 2018, 04:35:
NicklePop wrote on Feb 23, 2018, 20:13:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 23, 2018, 20:11:
NicklePop wrote on Feb 23, 2018, 19:32:

Millions of guns and only a handful of mass murder events.

Right, you are a complicit preacher. Tell that to those directly affected.

To be consistent, unless you're willing to ban knives, hammers, and cleavers, you too are complicit in these deaths right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_attacks_in_China_(2010%E2%80%9312)

You have to say yes, otherwise your argument is hypocrisy!

If knives are just as effective as guns, why are all soldiers armed with guns?

They're also armed with knives. Checkmate, hypocrite. /s

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2018, 17:59.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
47. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2018, 17:31 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 23:26:
Quboid wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 10:15:
Oh look, the literal Nazi sympathiser who links to extremist content is complaining about people being concerned about extremists again.
Oh look, the progressive that thinks everyone who doesn't agree with their view of the world is a nazi. What a world to live in, do you check under your bed for people in shiny boots before you go to sleep?

I'm sure it helps you to pretend that this is true, but you know it's not. It's just you, because of your specific actions.

6208 Comments. 311 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo