Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5748 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Dec 31, 2016, 09:47 Quboid

Dacote wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 09:19:
Quboid wrote on Dec 30, 2016, 23:32:
Hey Beamer, what is that computer case you recommend?
i just finished a build using a Fractal Design R5, OMFG is it a sweet case.

That's the one! Thank you!

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Dec 30, 2016, 23:32 Quboid

Hey Beamer, what is that computer case you recommend?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2016, 10:52 Quboid

Sorry for your loss, nin. Awful year.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Vaporware Awards
42. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 27, 2016, 23:29 Quboid

Dacote wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 21:20:
It can't be a ponzi scheme by any definition because it's not a form of fraud in which belief in the success of a nonexistent enterprise is fostered by the payment of quick returns to the first investors from money invested by later investors.
1. The game is not nonexistent.
2. It's not an investment enterprise.
3. There are no investors.
4. Returns, in the form of money, were never part of the deal.

I've referred to Star Citizen as a ponzi scheme before because it seems like new 'investment' is needed to keep previous 'investors' happy that the project is going somewhere but you're correct and it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. I don't think it's actually a scam, just something that's got out of control.

- Quboid

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2016, 13:24 Quboid

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 13:10:
subjectively - it certainly seems like 2016 had the most celebrity deaths of any year... ever? Gotta wonder if thats just due to having more celebrities around, or what.. but yeh - shit was crazy

I wonder if someone counted it all up and did some comparative research

The BBC did a brief, unscientific study that shows a steady increase in celebrity deaths. I suspect it's because about 60 years ago when television started to become influential the number of celebrities, particularly young adults, increased. So it's only going to get worse. Happy Holidays everyone.

- Quboid

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2016, 13:03 Quboid

Carrie Fisher has died aged 60. RIP  

- Quboid

14. Re: More sales Dec 27, 2016, 00:36 Quboid

Rigs wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 22:50:
Hmmm, someone needs to explain this one to me...

I have The Crew, which I got through uPlay (don't judge me! ). I paid for it before it went F2P...or so I thought it went F2P. Fast Forward to yesterday and I get an e-mail from STEAM that one the games on my wishlist was on sale - The Crew! (I guess I forgot to take it off my wishlist after I bought it, since it wasn't through STEAM) They're charging $14.99 (normally $29.99) for a F2P game? WTF? Am I missing something here?!

=-Rigs-=

Looks like it was free for a month. It costs on Steam and Uplay now, but there's a 2 hour trial on Uplay.

- Quboid

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 15:05 Quboid

Happy Christmas!  

- Quboid

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2016, 19:21 Quboid

New update on that page, "“out of emergency”and in a stable condition".

Dacote wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 18:27:
nin wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 17:53:
They're saying Carrie Fisher had a really bad heart attack. Like bad bad bad. I'm not sure I can take any more 2016...
And only 60.

It's not the years, it's the miles.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
33. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 23, 2016, 18:37 Quboid

Quboid wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 16:30:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 16:17:
Quboid wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:48:
Beamer wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:08:
Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:06:
So by this she means run a crowdfunding drive for a couple of million bucks and then just absconds with the money? That sound about the size of it?

And VW finds this pretty funny because after Jan 20th it'll all disappear. It's carte blanche for the corporations for the next 4 years in America. Welcome back to the gilded age of the robber barons.

What money has Brianna Wu kickstarted and absconded with? Her crappy game only generated $13k, and it's been released, so...

But this is the kind of sloppy, irrational hate I expect. Plenty of reasons to dislike Wu, who is perfectly dislikeable on her own, but people keep feeling the need to invent new ones.

Dude, her game was delayed. That doesn't just happen in this industry to people I disagree with.

The PC port of her game (which is all that Kickstarter was for) was massively delayed by years and while the game itself is pretty awful, the PC port was absolute hot garbage that was basically abandoned after going up on Steam. Not to mention how she's been getting thousands a month from Patreon to supposedly hire and pay someone to deal with all the harassment she claims to be getting, a person who by all accounts, probably never existed.

I mean hey, be smug if you want but aside from her insufferable personality and injecting herself into controversies on purpose in order to generate attention for herself, she's also a terrible developer and quite likely, a fraud.

Not according to her Patreon page she isn't, she's $1K/m short. Why did you think this was the case, or is there something I don't know?

No response. I'm guessing you saw this on Reddit where it had been upvoted because people like reading negative things about Wu, not because there's any truth to it. Debunking something in 20 seconds isn't even unusual, which is exactly why I have so little regard for such critics. Why would I?

- Quboid

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2016, 13:07 Quboid

Steam Winter sale has started.  

- Quboid

29. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2016, 12:59 Quboid

Agent-Zero, you say "Lets put aside Star Citizen itself for a moment" and refer to "a task that is 100% known and proven to be impossible" then that's fraud. Then you say "if Roberts and his company end up utterly failing at the task of making the game" he is a fraud. Correct?

The problem is, you jump straight from your hypothetical 100% known to be impossible task to Star Citizen failing. This only makes sense if you consider it beyond debate that Star Citizen is 100% known to be an impossible task. That's the assumption you made.

- Quboid

16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 21, 2016, 18:22 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 18:03:
[projecting]

Do you have anything at all to back up your original post? Why do you think she would misuse crowdfunding money?

- Quboid

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 21, 2016, 16:30 Quboid

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 16:17:
Quboid wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:48:
So by this she means run a crowdfunding drive for a couple of million bucks and then just absconds with the money? That sound about the size of it?

And VW finds this pretty funny because after Jan 20th it'll all disappear. It's carte blanche for the corporations for the next 4 years in America. Welcome back to the gilded age of the robber barons.

What money has Brianna Wu kickstarted and absconded with? Her crappy game only generated $13k, and it's been released, so...

But this is the kind of sloppy, irrational hate I expect. Plenty of reasons to dislike Wu, who is perfectly dislikeable on her own, but people keep feeling the need to invent new ones.

Dude, her game was delayed. That doesn't just happen in this industry to people I disagree with.

The PC port of her game (which is all that Kickstarter was for) was massively delayed by years and while the game itself is pretty awful, the PC port was absolute hot garbage that was basically abandoned after going up on Steam. Not to mention how she's been getting thousands a month from Patreon to supposedly hire and pay someone to deal with all the harassment she claims to be getting, a person who by all accounts, probably never existed.

I mean hey, be smug if you want but aside from her insufferable personality and injecting herself into controversies on purpose in order to generate attention for herself, she's also a terrible developer and quite likely, a fraud.

Not according to her Patreon page she isn't, she's $1K/m short. Why did you think this was the case, or is there something I don't know?

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 21, 2016, 14:50 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:21:
Bodolza wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 13:55:
Cutter wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 23:08:
I generally like the EFF but this is complete bullshit and outright lying.
Sorry, Cutter, but this is all accurate.

He promised to identify and deport millions of your friends and neighbors
Donald Trump: "We have at least 11 million people in this country that came in illegally. They will go out"

track people based on their religious beliefs
Donald Trump: "We’re going to have to look at a lot of things very closely We’re going to have to look at the mosques. We’re going to have to look very, very carefully."

suppress freedom of the press
Donald Trump: "I'm going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money"

Yeah, and you've just verified everthing I've said, so what's your point? Why are you saying "Sorry" like I'm wrong when I'm right? What part of "illegal" or "mosque" don't you understand?

Cutter, Bodolza verified what the EFF ad said, which you said this was "complete bullshit and outright lying". You were wrong. Grow up.

- Quboid

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 21, 2016, 14:48 Quboid

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 21, 2016, 09:54 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 23:08:
I generally like the EFF but this is complete bullshit and outright lying.

"He promised to identify and deport millions of your friends and neighbors, track people based on their religious beliefs, and suppress freedom of the press."

No, he said he was going to deport illegal criminals, and what's wrong with that? He's said he's going to crack down on Islam, not religion in general.

Is that really outright lying? The people you describe as illegal criminals are also people trying to live normal lives. Tracking people because they are Muslim is tracking people on their religious beliefs.

Oh of course, what you meant was "The EFF are sometimes on team Cutter but on this occasion they're not".

(Beamer: Don't quote posts that start with a Q!)

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2016, 10:07.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale Thursday?
13. Re: Steam Winter Sale Thursday? Dec 20, 2016, 20:26 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 20:07:
I use http://www.whenisthenextsteamsale.com/ to guesstimate when the next Steam sale will appear.

I'd bet good money this article spells it out. Voting on the Steam Awards starts on the 22nd and ends on the 30th, with the voting category changing each day; nice way to get people to visit at least daily. The sale will probably continue for a few more days, with award winners featured.

We'll probably get trading cards or something if we vote so there's a few pence added to my Steam wallet.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2016, 20:36.

- Quboid

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 20, 2016, 15:27 Quboid

Frijoles wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 15:06:
Those Test of Time awards are all shit. TF2 is the only one that really should be there. Skyrim? Really? I mean it's only ... 5 years old?! Oh Lord I'm so old.

How does Age of Empires II HD qualify there? It's only 3.5 years old and if the nomination is for AoE2, the fact that an HD remaster exists is pretty clear proof that it didn't stand the test of time.

Not sure who was in need of a hug in Far Cry either, was that supposed to be Vaas?!

That's public choice awards for you. I'm starting to think these awards are just filler for their Winter sale.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Dec 19, 2016, 18:30 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 15:44:
Beamer wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 14:41:
It's always fun to play the "guess where Cutter's views fall" game.
Essentially, look at it from "does this impact Cutter."

If a topic is about rich CEOs, then Cutter will call them evil for holding back wages, because that may impact him directly.

If the topic is about millenials complaining about bad wages, then he'l call them entitled, because he's not a millenial so there's no way he can fathom improved wages for millenials helping him out, personally.

Never mind that there's a huge inconsistency between endlessly complaining about low wages, then calling others doing so "entitled."
Cutters views are subject to change per post. But that's why we luv him.

He has an almost unique talent to look at any situation so completely from his own perspective, he seems constantly baffled and angered that people don't just agree with him. If he had money he'd be Trump.

- Quboid

5748 Comments. 288 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo