Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5997 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Police Simulator 18 This Year
116. Re: Police Simulator 18 This Year Jul 4, 2017, 11:22 Quboid

I should say, I mostly agree with RedEye9 et al. Regardless of whatever complexes they are prone to, these groups are victims and stirring things up is the only way they can get people talking.

Any successful protest movement will be unpopular with many in its day. If it was popular it wouldn't need a protest, the alternative to being unpopular is to be ignored which is what many want to do with BLM. It starts off reasonable, we'll listen as long as you're not violent. Actually no, we'll listen as long as you're not violent and you don't talk to us in the theatre. Wait no, we'll listen as long as you're non-violent, don't talk in the theatre and stand for the national anthem ... bullshit, now we're trying to find a way to ignore you. That doesn't make violence and rioting acceptable, but it does make it inevitable.

Would we be having this conversation if BLM didn't exist?

Dacron, that article is deeply flawed, disputing a point no one is making (poverty alone isn't the problem) and the blatant antisemitism isn't helpful.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

113. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jul 3, 2017, 22:35 Quboid

I do think victim complexes are a problem with social campaigns, humans will always look for other people to blame for their own shortcomings. I see this sometimes in feminism (and I consider myself a feminist, in that I don't think women should be discriminated against ... how controversial) where the patriarchy supposedly excuses misandry. I think these groups - hell, basically all groups everywhere - are bad at introspection and dealing with their own extreme elements. These elements argue with rival extreme elements and don't have rational discussions with people they have common ground with to reach a consensus. Twitter is poison in this regard, every disagreement in 140 characters looks like a rival extreme.

With regards to "racist" being an unfairly powerful word. I agree. It means people probably aren't going to listen and the person accused becomes the accused; of course the defendant is defensive. It is thrown around too easily, it's not a trivial accusation. I draw a big distinction between ignorance-based racism (prejudice based on mistaken belief; e.g. believing everything Fox News says) and active hate-based racism (neo-Nazis, KKK, probably Steve Bannon). When someone is accused of racism, it tends to sound like an accusation of hated, even thought this often isn't the intention. I have made these mistakes, both using the accusation too quickly and not realising quite how it sounds like I'm calling them nasty rather than foolish.

That doesn't mean the accusation is wrong. Plenty of people are racist, not many know/admit it.

Anyway, there are still problems as we all agree. These groups are actual victims and reducing that would be a good thing. How? Dunno. Northern Ireland had an institutionally prejudiced (anti-Catholic) police service, the RUC. We scrapped it, created a new service, the PSNI, with proportional Catholic/Protestant officers and it got a lot better. That's pretty drastic but the biggest step, as always, was admitting we had a problem.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2017, 17:51 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 13:31:
@Redeye: LOL.

Side note: I'm trying to think of who on the Dem side is equivalent to Trump, and would it ever be possible to elect that person.

Bernie Sanders had quite a populist following, and appealed to far-left Occupy types like Trump appealed to Tea Party people. Obviously he's is a very different person but I don't think Trump could have run as a Democrat even with an appropriate campaign. Too much baggage.

Who do AntiFa idiots typically want elected, Sanders? Even after he criticised them?

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2017, 13:23 Quboid

BobBob wrote on Jun 30, 2017, 10:44:
Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 20:28:

You know that's seriously illegal right? So not only would that not be admissible as evidence your friend could end up being criminally charged under The Interception of Communications Act and can be sued under The Harmful Access by Computer Act . That's basically mail tampering, which is a federal offense. You can see jail time for that as it's a major felony. Not to mention she'd lose her kids without question. Tell her to be smart and talk to a lawyer first. A consultation won't cost her anything.

Why do you care?

Does he need a reason to care about a fellow member of this community?

61. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 30, 2017, 12:22 Quboid

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 30, 2017, 10:01:
As for the Islam comment, yeah, there's a problem with it. But yes, moderate Muslims do speak up and are one of the main ways that the authorities get info on the radicals.

I gotta wonder how someone who's centre-left didn't know this, and instead parrots far-right lies about moderate Muslims not speaking up.

Quinn thinks black communities should have less crime before they get non-prejudiced police and justice services, that's how backwards he is.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
39. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 30, 2017, 01:23 Quboid

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 23:20:
But being a empathetic lefty means never having to accept reality. You just make up your own "facts" and shout louder. Your Utopias also end up putting most of you up against the wall first, too. At least I'll get the amusement of watching your confusion as you get led to the guillotine. "But, but, I'm one of the good guys! I have empathy!"

Mate, don't mention walls when complaining about (your ridiculously sweeping definition of) the left not accepting facts.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 15:49 Quboid

Is the complaint that UberX doesn't offer wheelchair-accessible vehicles to customers, or that there aren't any wheelchair-accessible vehicles on the list of approved makes/models for UberX?

In other words, does the option mentioned here - "the ERC alleges that Uber has chosen not to include wheelchair-accessible cars as an option in its standard UberX fleet of vehicles" - mean an option for customers, or an option for drivers?

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jun 25, 2017, 12:28 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 11:48:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 11:35:
Well I'm not sure if Derek knows how loans work after reading that. Does he think that they just give you money for nothing? In most countries collateral is required, in this case the "game and assets" are the collateral.

Derek barely understands the English language, hint more words do not equal more value.
The fact that he does not understand how loans work should not surprise you, why anyone thinks his comments hold any value is beyond me.

The funding clearly shows that money is pouring in hand over fist, I don't think the problem is lack of funds, the issue is picking which swiss bank account to store all that filthy lucre.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

What's wrong with his understanding of loans, what am I missing here? Is it DS talking as if CIG have already defaulted on the loan?

News Comments > HITMAN Free Sample [Updated]
11. Re: HITMAN Episode 1 for Free Jun 20, 2017, 15:49 Quboid

I liked Hitman 2016, it felt to me like a modern Hitman game which Absolution absolutely did not. The over-arching story isn't interesting but that's always been the case IMHO. It's a murder sandbox, 47's cold professionalism and Diana's dulcet tones are all the motivation I need.

The hand-holding Opportunities system - assassination achievements - is lame and should be switched off immediately so then you do have to learn them through environmental story telling.

Super Bunnyhop's video on Hitman's failure takes a good look at the decision to go episodic. Too long; didn't watch: they decided to split it in two, ran out of money, so split it in 6 and put their remaining resources into finishing the first bit.

jdreyer, I think you can complete it without killing anyone other than the targets.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2017, 02:04 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 23:50:
http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/why-ds9-voyager-not-on-blu-ray-hd/

Thanks, that's an interesting read.

PC Gaming > RTS recommendations?
8. No subject Jun 13, 2017, 00:06 Quboid

Quinn wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 06:03:
All Anno 3d games? On my list! I'll do research, thanks mate.

Settlers games aren't suddenly my type of RTS' though ^^ I don't know what my types are so don't let my first try influence your suggestions to me I religiously ignored RTS games before, which is why I'm so terribly in the dark about them. The Blizzard RTS games are good? I'll look into them as well.

Still wonder what triggered me into this RTS lust. I think it was the Spellforce thread + Life is Feudal: Forest Village thing that peaked my interest somehow. But it's also my age. More patience for patient games I guess..?

Anno is mostly a settler game, but there is some combat. The most recent versions (with future settings) aren't that great IMHO. I liked Anno 1701 most and its follow-up, Anno 1404, is also pretty good. They're both heavily discounted on GOG now.

Tip: production is nearly always 2:1 - e.g. 2 farms produce enough for 1 mill; 2 mills produce enough for 1 bakery. Except resources like coal, which are 1:2 - 1 mine produces enough for 2 smelters.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2017, 14:36 Quboid

bigspender wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 01:36:
I'm glad people are standing up to racism. But being pro-sharia is a completely retarded response for many reasons. For starters, sharia hurts muslims the most, particularly muslim women. Those protesters who are holding up signs with "No hate No Discrimination" must think sharia is a rule for cooking or something.

There is no pro-Sharia counter-protest. The counter-protesters believe that Sharia law is irrelevant in the US and that the supposedly anti-Sharia protest is instead an anti-Islam protest; hate and discrimination.

Who are all these people who praise Saudi Arabia, or who give a free pass to Muslims in their own country who don't think women should drive/etc? This is completely different to criticising anti-Islam sentiment; or at the very least this is what people like the counter-protesters believe.

Anti-anti-Islam is not pro-Sharia.

29. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 11, 2017, 12:20 Quboid

People who claim to be worried about Sharia law made this happen - police forcing a woman to remove 'immoral' clothing. It's not about the non-existent threat of Sharia law (no the UK doesn't have Sharia courts FFS; far-right American news tells the most brazen lies about Europe), it's about hating those brown people.  

PC Gaming > RTS recommendations?
2. Re: RTS recommendations? Jun 8, 2017, 23:30 Quboid

Quinn wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 18:02:
Guys, since a few weeks I'm really wanting for a good RTS. I've never been an RTS enthusiast so I don't know what triggered this.

Anyway, the RTS you recommend needs to have a story-based goal and can be either action packed or more mellow like Banished. Like I said, I've never been into RTS' so I'd appreciate any recommendation. I'm kinda finding myself in unknown territory, lustful. XP

I'm tempted to get Steel Division: Normandy 44. I liked WarGame: Airland Battle a lot, a previous RTS from Eugen.

News Comments > Steam Direct Fee is $100
8. Re: Steam Direct Fee is $100 Jun 2, 2017, 20:48 Quboid

I like the Steam storefront and I occasionally check it to see if there's anything I missed. It's far from perfect but I can't think of another large store's storefront which is as useful so I think they're making the best of a difficult task. Steam's recommendations are a lot better than Amazon's too.

Slick wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 18:11:
Honestly, if you're trying to run a scam, $100 isn't any barrier for you. Some people spend thousands on making some piece of shit look legit, if they can turn $1000 into $10,000 then it's worth every penny.

And if this $100 is "recuperable" then it's no barrier at all? I guess it depends on how it's recovered. But still, you could make it $2000 recuperate, and any indy studio has that money lying around to you know... get their game published. Think of the costs associated with even indie development, it's more than a couple thousand. And they could get an investor to front that if they're serious.

Agreed, it's too low to stop all but the cheapest scams like flipping a whole Unity asset pack. I gather these abuse trading cards in some way too, and Valve are cracking down on that. Some studios spam Greenlight with the same game and presumably only one of these needs Greenlit to cover their $100 fee. By making the fee per-title, rather than a one-off, this won't be worthwhile.

This will put off some hobbyists who can justify a one-off payment without needing to recoup it but not that fee for every project. TBH I can understand if Valve just don't care; they'll make trivial amounts of business and contribute to the amateurish reputation Steam has acquired.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2017, 19:21 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 19:03:
Most everyone who voted for him is thrilled. He is doing what he said he would do. And FWIW, take it with a grain of salt, and any other cliché that applies -- Exxon's public position was we should not pull out of the accord.

I know this will have gone down well, this is the result of science and intelligence being demonised. Does he still have support amongst moderate conservatives, the people who didn't vote for him in the primaries? The people who thought he'd at least surround himself with competent people and 'drain the swamp'?

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2017, 18:07 Quboid

Agent-Zero wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 17:46:
Quboid wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 17:14:
the people who call others cucks

that originates from a direct reference to a fictional book called "Camp of the Saints"

its literally an insult derived from white supremacists.. its straight up neo-nazi shit

Makes sense. I think it's used beyond race but I'd heard it defined as a white person who is racist against whites, which is how racist white people describe non-racist ones. I presume it originally derived from cuckold.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2017, 17:14 Quboid

Creston wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 16:54:
Yay, trump just pulled us out of the Paris Accords. Fuck the environment, BIG OIL AND BIG COAL MUST MAKE MONEY.

Asshole. I hope he dies in a monster tornado.

He really is an utter cunt. I wonder if people still think the media was unfair to him or have they accepted that he got lots of criticism because he's an awful president and an awful person.

His most ardent supporters effectively claim he got elected because they, the people who call others cucks, thought the man who literally lived in a tower would fight for them. The people who call others snowflakes couldn't handle getting repeatedly shown to be incorrect. The people who called others triggered got offended by fucking everything. This is what their "this is why Trump won" mantra means, they thought Trump was the answer to people pointing out their many failings.

Most have neither the intelligence nor the bravery to accept their mistake. I just hope enough do.

I know I hide it well, but this pisses me off a little bit. I suppose I should wind my neck in too, it's not like damaging the planet is nearly as bad as the cast of Hamilton telling Pence to maybe not be racist.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2017, 17:40.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 30, 2017, 23:45 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on May 30, 2017, 21:59:
That Lexmark case is huge.

Should be some pretty big implications for people actually owning stuff they buy. I don't know how far this goes.

News Comments > Game Reviews
56. Re: Game Reviews May 29, 2017, 22:03 Quboid

Slick wrote on May 29, 2017, 13:12:
When I form a solid logical argument, I get "no one cares", brilliant riposte.

How is anyone supposed to take the commentary seriously when it reads: "reviewers don't care that it has the same name as some random game from a decade ago"

Some random game from a decade ago.

Right.

I can only imagine the death threats this guy would have received if he said that about the new Battlefront LOL.

I didn't mean to dismiss your argument, that's the reason: no one cares. Calling Prey 2006 a breath of fresh air seems about right, it was something different with some neat ideas but nothing special. Evidently you found it memorable (and I support you in your endeavours ) but it's not at all iconic franchise to the wider gaming community.

5997 Comments. 300 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo