Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5361 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Mafia 3 Footage
24. Re: Mafia 3 Footage Dec 19, 2015, 22:14 Quboid

NKD wrote on Dec 19, 2015, 17:57:
Quboid wrote on Dec 19, 2015, 17:49:
NKD wrote on Dec 19, 2015, 17:39:
siapnar wrote on Dec 19, 2015, 17:18:
They made him stab the guy in the face 3 times for shock value.

Yeah man organized crime never does anything for shock value.

He's supposed to be a trained soldier with designs on actually gaining power. He should be professionally dispatching enemies and not acting like a low level goon. He should know that sneaking into an enemy establishment isn't the time for shock value.

He's not supposed to be that if they don't want him to be that. You should look at what organized crime has done over the years. It's not always subtle, not always in the shadows, and certainly not always violence free.

These are criminals we're talking about, not a 75,000 year old organization of Assassins.

They specifically spell out that he is supposed to be that, starting at 2:55.

If they throw around glorified violence for every take down, the impact gets diluted and both the take-downs and actual important plot points just become noise. Maybe you track down someone who murdered your sister and you brutally execute them - meh, you did the same to the random dude who was guarding the back entrance to a drug den.

That's GTA, that's Saint's Row, but unlike Retired, I expect a game called Mafia to be more like the previous games called Mafia and not be quite so mindless.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Mafia 3 Footage Dec 19, 2015, 17:49 Quboid

NKD wrote on Dec 19, 2015, 17:39:
siapnar wrote on Dec 19, 2015, 17:18:
They made him stab the guy in the face 3 times for shock value.

Yeah man organized crime never does anything for shock value.

He's supposed to be a trained soldier with designs on actually gaining power. He should be professionally dispatching enemies and not acting like a low level goon. He should know that sneaking into an enemy establishment isn't the time for shock value.

- Quboid

9. Re: Mafia 3 Footage Dec 19, 2015, 16:54 Quboid

I think I've seen the footage at the end before and as that's the weakest point, this video is quite encouraging IMHO. The combat looks fairly generic but there looks to be plenty of other content and an interesting world.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets
43. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 16:27 Quboid

CJ_Parker (emphasis Quboid) wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:13:
We are literally lightyears away from the game they pitched

I presume 1 light-year corresponds to 10,000 years (approximately the amount of time it takes Earth to travel 1ly), so if we're literally light-years away, you think that this won't be finished for at least 20,000 years?

Sounds about right!
I'm fun at parties!

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets
12. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 11:17 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 11:10:
Maniac wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 11:02:

Still feels good to see Mr.Smart dream being fulfilled

Well a techdemo is not a dream fulfilled. Wake me up when they have something playable. Ill even settle for a simple single player game (without the procedurally generated bullshit) like Squadron42.

Exactly. 1 player, 1 planet. This is definitely not the time for Derek Smart to admit that he was wrong.

- Quboid

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Patch Friday
7. Re: Just Cause 3 Patch Friday Dec 16, 2015, 22:16 Quboid

Loading times do seem faster, otherwise performance is the same for me.

It's not a great game to be honest, only the physics stand out. There's plenty of potential for messing about with tethers and explosions but little else. I think the world is too big, they should have made it a quarter of the size and focused more on making it feel alive. After a few hours, it's already feeling repetitive.

- Quboid

News Comments > The Climb Announced
23. Re: The Climb Announced Dec 15, 2015, 17:39 Quboid

It could be an interesting little puzzle game. It's not going to sell any headsets but compared to the stuff that was around a year ago, this is promising.

Drinking games and VR sound like a baaaaad mix, probably a mix that ends up over your keyboard, desk, and carpet.

jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 12:08:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 11:44:
Just watching it again though. God, can you imagine in a few years UNcharted, AC, Tomb Raider in VR? Doing the Eagle dives from AC would make your heart jump up into your throat, lol.

You seem to be willfully forgetting that the raison d'etre of Tomb Raider is 3rd person.

You mean raison derrière?

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 14, 2015, 14:44 Quboid

There's a town called Green Bank in West Virginia which bans most wireless devices to avoid interference with radio telescopes:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/21/the-town-that-banned-wi-fi

There's anecdotal evidence there that people pass blind tests but it's hardly a thorough scientific test.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 13, 2015, 19:26 Quboid

Rigs wrote on Dec 13, 2015, 18:31:
Everything about Fallout4 and nothing about Just Cause 3?! Surprise, surprise...This place practically had a group orgasm at the announcement of it, now not a peep...hmmmm....

=-Rigs-=

It's next on my todo list but the reception has rather dampened my excitement. Maybe lots of repetitive capturing is suited to sound-off-YouTube-on gameplay.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 13, 2015, 16:36 Quboid

Quinn wrote on Dec 13, 2015, 16:14:
I have like 120 hours into Fallout 4. Shockingly. Even more shocking is that I actually think of it as a forgettable experience and forgettable game. Still... 120 hours... It basically sums up Bethesda's games. Must be the horrible storytelling.

A Bethesda game will never leave a mark like Vampire - The Masquerade: Redemption or Deus Ex, or The Witcher. Still you waste your life on it completely.

Same, over a hundred hours and not much has been particularly memorable. Most of it has been base building with the sound off while watching YouTube. I think the world's context makes up for it being as shallow as a puddle. Using mods and cheats for larger settlement caps and unlimited wood & steel, I've turned Sanctuary into a fortress.

- Quboid

14. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 12, 2015, 09:06 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 21:32:
Quboid wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 09:24:
Are there specific examples of her treating criticism as abuse?
Watch her UN speech, she specifically states that people using criticism against her is abuse. That's why she's become a walking lulz factory like Jack Thompson.

I can't find her saying anything like that.

- Quboid

12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 11, 2015, 09:24 Quboid

Are there specific examples of her treating criticism as abuse?  

- Quboid

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 10, 2015, 17:30 Quboid

Julio wrote on Dec 10, 2015, 16:08:
I'm going to bet this cost a lot of money to produce, have to justify where that crowdfunded money went after all. Her 15 minutes are up.

Isn't spending crowdfunding money on this exactly what they should be doing? What exactly is your complaint, why do you use the word "justify"?

- Quboid

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 10, 2015, 15:50 Quboid

Flatline wrote on Dec 10, 2015, 14:51:
Wait a minute. If Sarkeesian is constantly being harassed, it's kind of counter-intuitive for her to put out a "how not to be harassed" guide right?

That's like the dude who has been struck by lightning the most times in history publishing "how not to be struck by lightning" unironically.

It's a guide to minimizing the impact of online abuse, not a guide to giving in to it. Being constantly harassed is why she's experienced.

- Quboid

News Comments > DiRT Rally Released
12. Re: DiRT Rally Released Dec 8, 2015, 11:49 Quboid

Aero wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 23:54:
You can definitely be competitive with a gamepad in racing sims (not sure about a joystick because you'll want separate analog brake and throttle inputs, but I know it's a done thing). It's better to think of a wheel as an immersion thing than a competitive advantage. It's a bigger advantage when the FFB is done really well, but Codemasters has always been pretty mediocre in that department.

That's a good point. My stick (Saitek FLY5) has dual throttles but using them as 2 pedals isn't very intuitive. I appreciated the extra control this gave me (over 1-throttle input) in ETS2 but I'm not sure I want to faff about with this while racing. It seems wheels are increasingly niche but maybe I'm not the only one considering eyes-off controllers for VR and there'll be a resurgence.

- Quboid

6. Re: DiRT Rally Released Dec 7, 2015, 22:32 Quboid

4D-Boxing wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 19:56:
Flatline wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 19:00:
Quboid wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 18:50:
So this is a proper rally game? Actual dirt tracks, not weird X games and obnoxious characters? I really didn't think Dirt would ever deliver.

Joystick or 360 pad? I don't know which is better for driving.

Yeah no gymkhana. I believe all real-world tracks, no x-games BS, not even any voice-overs aside from your co-pilot.

It needed a little more TLC when I played it a month or so ago last, but it's a pretty fun game. My main complaints are that the levels are on the short side and that there's not a lot of track content (though now they're up to what, a 3-part hill climb, 4 or 5 courses with 4 stages that can be reversed each course, and a couple of rally cross racing tracks).

Driving wheel is probably where it's at for this game. You need some analog support.

If a wheel isn't an option, joystick hands down. I know a few old school gamers who can hang or beat top drivers with wheels.

I don't play enough racing games to warrant getting a wheel (which I would barely have room for). I usually use my gamepad for driving in GTA and suchlike but in a more serious scenario, I'd use my joystick if I can shave a few fractions of a second.

I might get a wheel and a proper stand if VR fulfils its potential.

- Quboid

1. Re: DiRT Rally Released Dec 7, 2015, 18:50 Quboid

So this is a proper rally game? Actual dirt tracks, not weird X games and obnoxious characters? I really didn't think Dirt would ever deliver.

Joystick or 360 pad? I don't know which is better for driving.

- Quboid

News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support
22. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support Dec 7, 2015, 16:36 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 15:26:
Quboid wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 15:20:
Mods work fine for me using this custom launcher.

It's probably an oversight but it would really, really suck if they're locking down unofficial modding because they want mods to be console compatible.

Paranoid delusions... If that were their goal, it's far too late to do anything about it now. Even if the GECK were available already, there would still be plenty of mods completely unsuitable for use on consoles. They have no reason to "lock down" PC modding whatsoever.

It would be a stupid, unworkable idea, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't try. Paying for Skyrim mods would have been a paranoid delusion a year ago, Bethesda have form.

I doubt that this is the case but I think it's worth mentioning. Even if they never charge for mods (and I think they will, probably with Elder Scrolls 6), getting mods to work on consoles would be great for business going by how long Skyrim sold on PCs and that would require limiting mods to official tools.

- Quboid

News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support
14. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support Dec 7, 2015, 15:20 Quboid

Mods work fine for me using this custom launcher.

It's probably an oversight but it would really, really suck if they're locking down unofficial modding because they want mods to be console compatible.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 7, 2015, 14:09 Quboid

Did the Outbox duo really think that the population are the USPS's customers? That seems highly naive. It's like thinking Facebook users are Facebook's customers; no, we're the product being sold.

They still got royally screwed but trying to fix a problem that only exists because it benefits the people who can fix it - i.e. junk mail - isn't a technical challenge, it's a business one.

- Quboid

5361 Comments. 269 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo