Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5567 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released
43. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released Jun 1, 2016, 14:52 Quboid

Creston wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 13:59:
Quboid wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 10:54:
Trial and error with death on the line is immersion breaking in my opinion.

So you want to never be challenged? What's the point of having any kind of confrontational system, if you can't fail at it?

It's not that I want to be guaranteed to win, I want to have a decent chance to win. I would never look at a confrontation in real and think "hmm, that dude with the knife is dangerous, I'll have to get killed a few times until I know how he fights" and my character doesn't think like this either.

Death isn't the end of the world for me, but it is for my character. When I reload, it's like moving to a parallel universe.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released Jun 1, 2016, 10:54 Quboid

Trial and error with death on the line is immersion breaking in my opinion. Die-al and error? Trial and terror? Anyway... It doesn't feel right to me to go into combat expecting to take several attempts to learn how to not die. Unless there is an in-game reason to accept death, a regeneration mechanic or a reason to sacrifice myself, I want it to be able to win first time (edit: able but not guaranteed) because my character would want to survive. Also, battling the unknown is interesting and battling animation is game-y.

Of course in real, my character would research and train more and save-games are a lot less grindy than this would be.

The Dark Souls comparison is interesting. I haven't played any of them because that style of combat doesn't look very interesting to me and because it is reportedly better played with a controller than kb&m. I don't like the Arkham melee combat style either, another controller based one.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2016, 15:01.

- Quboid

31. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released May 31, 2016, 18:49 Quboid

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 31, 2016, 16:27:
What is the exact problem you guys have with combat? Can you narrow it down from "I DON'T LIKE IT" to what you think is broken about it?

Myself, I find it should have had more directional input. Like Holding forward and attack does a different attack than backwards and attack.

Otherwise, for what it is, I usually just roll out/roll in and tap attack and roll out/roll in. I do not use their light dodge mechanic and I've done fine with this.

I found it imprecise. Judging where my blade was going or where exactly Geralt would stop when moving was difficult because of a laggy, heavy feeling. I presume this heavy feeling is intentional, but after a few hours' play it was still unfamiliar. I expect I would get better at it in time, but I doubt it will never feel as natural as most games (although I think they added an alternate movement system after I stopped playing, so this may be better for me).

I can see how using a controller would be better but this would be even more unfamiliar to me. I have a gamepad but I'm not used to it in genres were KB&M is usually fine, such as 3rd person RPGs. I use it for racing and sports games.

- Quboid

News Comments > The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch
19. Re: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch May 30, 2016, 23:20 Quboid

It would be nice if AMD competed more but I'm not prepared to buy their card out of charity. Still, who has the performance crown doesn't really matter to me, I'm buying mid/high range and maybe the AMD Vega will be an option in a year's time. Thanks for the info CJ_Parker, I don't know much about AMD these days.

Overon wrote on May 30, 2016, 21:29:
I'm in the market for a graphics card. I have an I7 860 Lynnfield. Would I need to replace my motherboard and get a new processor in order to take advantage of something say a gtx 1070? In other words what's the cpu scaling? How much would that cpu bottleneck graphics performance?

That would be quite a bottleneck but if your motherboard can handle it (check that its PCIe slot is compatible) you can crank up settings like resolution, textures and multi-sampling antialiasing which are GPU or VRAM dependent.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2016, 15:37 Quboid

Depending on the actual circumstances, it could be a simple mistake that regularly happens but rarely has consequences. Children get separated from their parents all the time, that a 4yo was able to get into a gorilla enclosure is probably the bigger issue.

However, her phrasing makes her sound irresponsible. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it looks less like a general "thank God he's safe" and more like "God will keep my child safe so I don't have to".

A good zoo is the best chance plenty of animals get. Some species going extinct isn't a bad thing - it's always happened, it always will - but I'd like them to get every chance, even if a species can never leave captivity. In developed countries, this is mostly about good governance so animals have enough space and, y'know, gorillas are kept in child-proof enclosures. In developing countries, it's a lot harder to trust regulatory oversight and the economics of treating the animals acceptably are, I suspect, much harsher.

- Quboid

News Comments > No Man's Sky Delay Confirmed
33. Re: No Man's Sky Delay Confirmed May 29, 2016, 18:30 Quboid

Dacron wrote on May 29, 2016, 17:30:
Every complaint I've heard against Elite Dangerous takes aim directly at its gameplay, as it was designed to be.

Maybe you should have figured out what you were buying before buying it, rather than saying there needs to be a narrative. The game delivered EXACTLY what it promised (minus offline component) with the gameplay they promised.

This whole "elite needed more" argument is just people not getting what they expected, when they expected something ED never was intended to be. Elite was a masterpiece of what it was, and was intended to be. Which isn't for everyone. You have Star Citizen to be everything else.

It's not "a narrative", it's "narrative". Not (necessarily) a scripted series of missions but some reason to keep playing, some motivation to go to the next place.

In Euro Truck Simulator 2, I wanted to see more of the map and visit each city (which definitely weren't masterpieces, but were unique) and make small but noticeable changes to my vehicle. In Elite Dangerous, I saw the same 6 (?) space stations and a whole lot of black and what really killed it for me was what 1badmf alluded to: I saved up, got a fancy new ship and ... very little changed. I went to the same 6 stations and clicked on slightly larger numbers. There was no reason to visit any of the other 399,999,999,950 systems.

I love open-ended games so I expected to enjoy Elite Dangerous. I knew what to expect and I think it is a very good game in most ways. That's why it's disappointing, that this one problem affected my enjoyment of an otherwise fine game. I'm pretty hopeful for Planet Coaster thanks to ED's quality, but I'm quite discouraged over proc-gen because of ED's one glaring flaw. There's some sort of exploration/completionist bug that it doesn't satisfy in me.

- Quboid

27. Re: No Man's Sky Delay Confirmed May 29, 2016, 13:34 Quboid

Tachikoma wrote on May 29, 2016, 10:27:
Quboid wrote on May 29, 2016, 08:49:
Those qualities are valued as much today as ever, the difference is that standards are much higher today. 20+ years ago, Elite was as good as it got. Now, we can hand-craft The Witcher 3 and suddenly 400,000,000,000 similar star systems just isn't that appealing.

Civilisation has always used proc-gen maps and it has remained a favourite of mine because it puts a game on top. It doesn't give me a scouting unit and billions of map tiles and tell me to go nuts.

There`s a quite a heap of contradicting confusion for such a short post, but I must admit, it encapsulates the situation rather well.

Comparing The Witcher to The Elite for example shows the whole misunderstanding of people who want to cling to their preferred playstyle and mistakenly think it`s the only valid one.

More curious is cherrypicking Civilization as a "good" procgen game while slamming another one -which haven`t even been released yet. That just plain don`t make any sense, apart from maybe the Civ being a sacred cow and all that.

Overall, it`s a clash of styles. Some people "get" why No Man`s Sky is the most promising AAA release in decades, others (majority?) like their Witchers better and seem terribly afraid of the other side.

Now, there shouldn`t be a reason why the two couldn`t coexist - (I play both, though I`m rather bored with scripted&linear worlds and seldom finish such games) but "reason" is not a much valued quality these days.

The comparison between TW3 and Elite wasn't about play style, it was about world generation on advanced hardware. I mentioned Civilisation as an example of a good game that uses proc-gen appropriately rather than using it as a selling point. I'm critical of Elite Dangerous because it was a bit disappointing and of NMS because I'm not impressed by what they've shown off.

I'd like No Man's Sky to be a great game but I don't think that's likely because I don't "get" it. It just looks like pre-release hype to me, I'm afraid.

- Quboid

21. Re: No Man's Sky Delay Confirmed May 29, 2016, 08:49 Quboid

Tachikoma wrote on May 29, 2016, 05:46:
DangerDog wrote on May 28, 2016, 19:30:
Considering how unaccommodating gamers are to open sandbox games like Elite Dangerous I can't see this being a success without a hand holding scripted campaign.

This is what blows my mind really...it`s 2016 and yet people seem to be stuck with decades old mindset.

I`m joking of course: back in the day openness, emergence and freedom were truly appreciated and something I hoped will expand much more with advancements in hardware. Games like Pirates, Civ, XCOM and yeah, Elite, were celebrated masterpieces.

But nowadays people will bleat on how procgen is "empty" or that there`s "nothing to do" despite a fuckton of evidence that says otherwise.

Those qualities are valued as much today as ever, the difference is that standards are much higher today. 20+ years ago, Elite was as good as it got. Now, we can hand-craft The Witcher 3 and suddenly 400,000,000,000 similar star systems just isn't that appealing.

Civilisation has always used proc-gen maps and it has remained a favourite of mine because it puts a game on top. It doesn't give me a scouting unit and billions of map tiles and tell me to go nuts.

- Quboid

8. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... May 28, 2016, 16:08 Quboid

Vio wrote on May 28, 2016, 15:54:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 28, 2016, 15:17:
Somehow I feel like I'll be able to watch some youtube videos and feel as if i've experienced all the game has to offer.
This is my sentiment, it doesn't look like there's any objective game to it, just pretty systems. I hope I'm wrong, since it is rather pretty.

But you won't be able to name stuff, which seems to be the extent of the gameplay.

Procedural content isn't endless content, it's empty content. It doesn't have to have a plot but there needs to be some reason to keep playing and as proc-gen doesn't feel satisfying to explore, seeing the next planet probably isn't going to be good enough for me.

- Quboid

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2016, 16:21 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on May 27, 2016, 15:30:
Fran's is a Saint.

Fran's what, favourite fictional thief?

- Quboid

News Comments > Planet Coaster Early Bird Alpha 2
1. Re: Planet Coaster Early Bird Alpha 2 May 25, 2016, 18:54 Quboid

I've seen a few videos of this, it looks very promising. Parkitect is also shaping up well but I think Planet Coaster will be better. RollerCoaster Tycoon World looks like a bit of a train wreak.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 23, 2016, 14:21 Quboid

Bypassing DRM means a Cease and Desist is the least the Revive maker will have to worry about.

Lack of software is a serious threat to VR, segmenting the market is the dumbest thing they could do.

- Quboid

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2016, 22:39 Quboid

So, what's your next username going to be?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 May 22, 2016, 22:23 Quboid

Ant wrote on May 22, 2016, 22:04:
rudra wrote on May 22, 2016, 18:46:
getting ASCII art to work here is a fucking chore dude
Does BN even support fixed width fonts to make ASCII art work?

+---------------+
| Use Code Tags |
+---------------+

Spacing doesn't work, any number of spaces just becomes one. Needs Frans to changes spaces in the code tag to non-breaking spaces.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 May 22, 2016, 17:53 Quboid

Blue acknowledges the one-game-multiple-entries after someone took exception to Blue using Valve's label so I think he has simply missed TW3 this time.

I must play that. I didn't have time to sink into it when it came out and it should be a bit more polished now.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
25. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2016, 08:33 Quboid

He can't review a movie because he had an opinion of the trailer? That's an utter load of nonsense. Again, you don't have a clue what concepts like bias or objectivity mean.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 21, 2016, 11:11 Quboid

There's a lot more to it than a monitor but not trying to get universal support could be the death of VR at this time. I'm not buying 2 headsets and I'm not buying 1 if it might lose the race and be abandoned by developers. I'm sure I'm far from the only one.  

- Quboid

23. Re: Morning Metaverse May 21, 2016, 09:49 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 21, 2016, 06:30:
Beamer wrote on May 21, 2016, 00:59:
Ok, MA. Let's ignore that few of what you linked to there says anything about sexism.

Let's look at your history on Blues. Anything that involves women tends to get you, well, angrily posting. Anything at all. If women are mentioned, particularly in a "women get the lesser end of this" context, you get angry.

Do you ever consider that maybe, just maybe, you're a bit sexist in what you care about and how you react?

Honest question. You are extremely involved in gender issues, and always take the "women need to shut up" angle.

Assumptions are always a good way to make you look like an ass, doing a pretty bang up job at it so far. Especially the suggestion that I get angry, if I was actually angry you'd know. If anything, I find that more amusing then anything. Perhaps you're so invested in this you find "anger in it" because someone holds a contrary viewpoint. But it's always good to see that someone brings out the "you're a sexist, because reasons" angle.

But no, I'm not extremely involved in gender issues and don't take the "women need to shut up" angle. Rather I take a "you want equality, you can play by the same rules as everyone else" angle. That means merit rules the day, but sadly in this day and age the usual response to that is meritocracy is sexist/racist/homophobic because reasons. Unfortunately or fortunately you seem to take the "WAW effect" to the extremes, and that is a fine example of sexism. Then again, I did too...~15 years or so ago, then I figured out that all that really matters is results.

But let's roll back to all of those articles floating around shall we? How do you reconcile 22+ articles all attacking a reviewer and fans of the movies as sexist because they believe that the trailer is a steaming pile of garbage. Why do you support such blatant sexism?

Meritocracy? He wasn't going to review it. Reviewing bad stuff is literally the AVGN characters's entire reason to exist yet this - a movie he hasn't even seen - is going too far. Where's the equality? Even by your argument, James Rolfe was being sexist, you just didn't notice because you are sexist too - something you have repeatedly demonstrated.

I commented that "Ghostbusters looks rubbish therefore criticism is never sexist" is moronic with exactly this in mind. Sometimes, people are just sexist and *not* calling them out is ridiculous.

- Quboid

News Comments > Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released
36. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released May 20, 2016, 18:53 Quboid

Rigs wrote on May 20, 2016, 05:14:
Quboid wrote on May 19, 2016, 23:00:
Rigs wrote on May 19, 2016, 22:55:
Holy fucking christ on a stick, are we REALLY having this discussion?!

=-Rigs-=

... yes?

Why not, because it's obvious?

Ya think?

=-Rigs-=

I was a bit surprised that there was any doubt, I didn't really notice who was saying what.

- Quboid

18. Re: Morning Metaverse May 20, 2016, 17:51 Quboid

Pigeon wrote on May 20, 2016, 17:17:
People are just reacting/overreacting to the usage of sabotage in the title, which has insidious connotations. The data presented in the article doesn't really address why, only what is. I'd suggest the large disparity in (n) between genders warrants a more robust statistical method than simply comparing averages if they want to come to any conclusion that has weight.

It is a rather dumb title. Quite a dumb article too as it doesn't really have that much to say. I feel it's part of the moronic "Ghostbusters stars women therefore criticism is all sexist / Ghostbusters looks rubbish therefore criticism is never sexist" discussion that is going on in some corners of the Internet.

- Quboid

5567 Comments. 279 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo