Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 6067 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Jan 12, 2017, 00:13 Quboid

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 23:40:
Quboid wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 22:36:
Is there anywhere you recommend adding fans? I'm thinking another intake on the front below the existing one and an output on the top. I don't think any is necessary at present but if I do overclocking I would like more. Does any 3-pin fan work with the fan speed switch, or does it need to have PWM?

I would recommend just getting a 2nd good quality fan for the front, and skip putting any fans in the top. You will hear considerably more sound from your PC if you take the top cover off to put a fan there, and it will not really cool much better (maybe 1c max), and can even disrupt the front-to-back airflow tunnel that you create with the front and back fans by adding upward pressure into the mix. a 2nd front fan is what is recommended most with these cases for improved airflow. Also, concerning noise levels, the model without the window on the side is not only cheaper but quieter. A single back fan is quite sufficient for removing the hot air in a setup with dual front fans in that case, no need really for a top or side fan.

Any fan will work with the fan switch, as it simply regulates the voltage to attain relative speeds across the board.

Thanks. I hadn't thought about the sound problem with a top fan, thankfully I got the windowless model to avoid light pollution. I'll add another intake on the front so there will be a good lower-front to upper-back flow. It's a bit odd to put fans behind a solid door - there are plenty of gaps but that's still got to reduce airflow.

It's nice to finally have dust filters. I've need that for ages. I will miss my old Antec case's slide-out motherboard tray but still, this is a big upgrade. The main reason to slide the mobo out was to access the drives and that's not an issue any more.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support
19. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 12, 2017, 00:02 Quboid

Does it affect 3D games on multi-monitor systems, or does it affect 3D games that use more than one monitor? "Multi-monitor support in some games" implies that this is only an issue when a 3D application is using multiple monitors but the article is too busy belabouring the point about forced updates to actually discuss this.  

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

7. Re: Into the Black Jan 11, 2017, 22:36 Quboid

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 22:02:
Quboid wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 21:49:

My SSD didn't fit under the mobo. Have you had a problem with that? Either my OCZ SSD is a millimetre too wide or the slots are too narrow. I'm not going to run out of drive slots but that's an odd one.

Put your SSD in one of the drive bays so the front fan(s) are blowing on it. It will stay cooler than the behind the motherboard mounting, by almost 10c. It's still well within operating range for most SSD's, but cooler components are happier (and usually longer lasting) components.

Good point. It also means one less power cable from the PSU, as it uses the same one as my two hard drives (I love PSUs with detachable cables!).

Is there anywhere you recommend adding fans? I'm thinking another intake on the front below the existing one and an output on the top. I don't think any is necessary at present but if I do overclocking I would like more. Does any 3-pin fan work with the fan speed switch, or does it need to have PWM?

4. Re: Into the Black Jan 11, 2017, 21:49 Quboid

Dacote wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 20:40:
Quboid wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 19:19:
I now have a Fractal Design Define R5 case, thanks Beamer and Dacote for the recommendation. It's a nice upgrade over my 10+ year old case. The power/HDD LEDs are so bright that I disconnected them, but as it's so quiet now I can't tell if my computer is off/asleep, or it's just turned the monitors off for power saving
That's awesome, my asrock mb has a bios setting to turn off the power led, but nothing beats analog.

I didn't even think of that, maybe my motherboard has that too. Oh well, that's more elegant but my way works too.

My SSD didn't fit under the mobo. Have you had a problem with that? Either my OCZ SSD is a millimetre too wide or the slots are too narrow. I'm not going to run out of drive slots but that's an odd one.

2. Re: Into the Black Jan 11, 2017, 19:19 Quboid

I now have a Fractal Design Define R5 case, thanks Beamer and Dacote for the recommendation. It's a nice upgrade over my 10+ year old case. The power/HDD LEDs are so bright that I disconnected them, but as it's so quiet now I can't tell if my computer is off/asleep, or it's just turned the monitors off for power saving  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 11, 2017, 19:10 Quboid

The Blackberry did extend beyond professionals and geeks before the iPhone, I was wrong about that. I think the larger point stands.  

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 10, 2017, 07:22 Quboid

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 10, 2017, 05:58:
Quboid wrote on Jan 9, 2017, 16:50:
I think it's fair to credit Apple with inventing the smartphone as we know it today. It was a disruptive technology which made PDAs and previous smartphones obsolete, bringing smartphones to the masses and not just professionals and geeks.

I don't know if any single part was new but all inventions are largely made by combining previous ones. In a sense, that's what R&D means: research other stuff, design your own product based on that.

Nope. Nope. Nope. Sorry but all of that is just wrong. Apple didn't invent the first smartphone, its like saying that Henry Ford invented the car. Inventions are considered not to be COPIES or incremental improvements of older inventions, R&D usually refers to the cost in human resources (researchers on payroll) and material resources in developing a new product, NOT necessarily a new invention.

Not the first smartphone, the smartphone "as we know it today". R&D can be as lot of things but the sense that I was referring to was the old quote "If you steal from one author it's plagiarism; if you steal from many it's research".

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 9, 2017, 16:50 Quboid

I think it's fair to credit Apple with inventing the smartphone as we know it today. It was a disruptive technology which made PDAs and previous smartphones obsolete, bringing smartphones to the masses and not just professionals and geeks.

I don't know if any single part was new but all inventions are largely made by combining previous ones. In a sense, that's what R&D means: research other stuff, design your own product based on that.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2017, 20:36.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2017, 16:25 Quboid

That saying about The Velvet Underground - they didn't sell many records but everyone who bought one started a band - could almost apply to David Bowie for me. I didn't listen to him much, but I think half the bands I to listen to either worked with him or were heavily influenced by him.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jan 6, 2017, 23:59 Quboid

Dacote wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 21:04:
NMS only brought in $43 million, sweet.

From a completely cynical point of view, they have handled this brilliantly. The things they're criticised for: misleading videos, missing features, limited post-release communication; all to their benefit with basically no consequences apart from getting paid.

News Comments > Frontier Developments Sues ATARI Over Royalties
15. Offtopic Jan 3, 2017, 18:02 Quboid

Beamer, do you still recommend the Fractal Design Define R5 case?  

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jan 3, 2017, 00:38 Quboid

They used footage from Fallout as stock footage. It is not "to show how Russians hack".  

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Into the Black Jan 2, 2017, 14:54 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2017, 12:41:
You're really, really reaching to spin his tetras comments in a way that can gleefully confirm your opinion of him.

Someone on Twitter challenged the idea that all art, and therefore games, are political, by pointing out tetris. He then rose to it by reading into the politics of tetras, accurately pointing out that releasing a game in the US with soviet music in the 1980s was politically loaded. Back when anything Russian was heavily demonized.

That's a very neutral thing, and hard to dispute. I'm no kuchera fan, but you're working overdrive to find ways to not challenge your own opinion. The sites that claimed he was saying it would brainwash you or were deliberately made as propaganda are aggressively anti intellectual.

Kuchera got some minor factual details wrong, but AFAIK that's it. Parallax Abstraction, is there more to this?

El Pit, I don't know what your point is. That has nothing to do with what I said.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2017, 15:42.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2017, 09:25 Quboid

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 2, 2017, 09:14:
sdgundamx wrote on Jan 2, 2017, 07:47:
It's still baffling to me how there are people on this site who want to stick their fingers in their ears and pretend there isn't a problem with character representation in video games (and all media, really).

There isn't, talk about FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS. How about you use that brain and morality to solve actual problems. Where does having girls in videogames fall on the list of worlds most pressing problems?

Reality is your a moralist and a bad one, most people complaining about gender in entertainment are stupid. Just like religious folks and old people claimed rockin roll was the devil and comic books are signs of moral degeneration.

The reality is art is limitless it shouldn't be made to cater to anyone's moral compass.

So you agree that there is a problem, but you don't think it is as bad as the problems people third world countries typically face?

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 1, 2017, 17:11 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 16:52:
El Pit wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 11:46:
Cpmartins wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 11:41:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 23:11:
butthurt middle aged men of bluesnews are gonna butthurt
You forgot "white". Can't skip that one.

Because people with non-european roots respect women's rights better, right?

Well obviously. We're all that's evil in the world, as we're all rich, privileged and have absolutely no problems whatsoever. Everyone else are all paragons of what's good and right in the world.

Or maybe because this board is predominantly made up of middle aged white men? That's true and the obvious meaning to Cpmartins and SMA's posts.

El Pit, you must have noticed that a few of these people think non-white and/or non-male representation in video games doesn't matter, while clearly thinking it's very important that it doesn't matter. If you haven't, meet Cutter.

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Into the Black Jan 1, 2017, 17:06 Quboid

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 14:20:
If a piece of art offends you, you have two options: Don't consume it or make your own that tells what you want it to and make it successful. Whining in an op-ed is the worst kind of slacktivism. But doing real work to invoke change is hard.

So only talented and lucky artists can make worthwhile points? Knowledge of the subject doesn't matter?

Setting out your case in an op-ed is a perfectly good way to debate and is not slacktivism, not when it is well written and well researched (at least, I don't see any factual errors). Slacktivism is signing a petition or sharing something on social media and telling yourself you've done something. Writing a column is actually doing something, even if this guy choose to do something stupid.

News Comments > Steam Award Winners
30. Re: Steam Award Winners Jan 1, 2017, 12:48 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 02:26:
Also ETS 2 under sit back and relax? WTF? Nobody who voted that ever did a long distance delivery with traffic on.

I think I voted for ETS2 there, I think it's very relaxing. Granted, I was never too bothered about the occasional crash or speeding ticket.

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2017, 12:42 Quboid

What do you guys think the reaction would be if a cartoon was made today for young children which took this approach to gender roles? What would be your reaction?

The article is about a 6 year old girl. No one is calling you a hater, NewMaxx, presumably "family-friendly" isn't a concern for you.

This is making a mountain out of a molehill IMHO but it's not completely baseless.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2016, 22:51 Quboid

Rigs wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 18:56:
loomy wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 18:07:
As for forum upgrades, I wish we could get some kind of upvote or 'like' or something. Or maybe something that shows how many times it's been viewed

don't do any of this

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 18:55:
FUCK UPVOTE/DOWNVOTE. KEEP IT SIMPLE. When you confuckulate a perfectly simple system you're asking for more bullshit then was previously intended/desired.

Well, fine, we can vote on it then! I put a vote up for my gradients idea a long time ago and it's still there...if this like/upvote thing is something that Frans/Blue would consider, I propose another vote, which I can also put up. How about that?

EDIT: It doesn't even have to be a 'LIke'/Upvote, just something that says I read your post or agreed or I dunno, something...you guys are pretty smart, think of something cool!

=-Rigs-=

I used to be in favour of a up/down vote system but not anymore, they encourage echo chambers.

A 'like' system, some way to agree with a post or thank a poster, would be nice. An acknowledgement, rather than a popularity contest.

6. Re: Into the Black Dec 31, 2016, 09:47 Quboid

Dacote wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 09:19:
Quboid wrote on Dec 30, 2016, 23:32:
Hey Beamer, what is that computer case you recommend?
i just finished a build using a Fractal Design R5, OMFG is it a sweet case.

That's the one! Thank you!

6067 Comments. 304 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo