Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5460 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2016, 00:01 Quboid

A record store is where the Guinness World Records people keep their master copy. Each year, the stored records are printed off for the next edition of the book.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
9. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 16, 2016, 22:44 Quboid

I'm not going to get my hopes up for a victory for free speech but I'm glad they're doing this. I can understand cynicism when it comes to Microsoft but it seems like a good thing.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Apr 14, 2016, 19:33 Quboid

The 3D gimmick won't sell tickets, I wonder what he's going for next. VR? After all, cinemas are dead. DEAD!  

- Quboid

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2016, 14:36 Quboid

Congrats on the STD test results, Blue!

RedEye9, he got 2 years for violating probation. Killing 4 people got him 0 years.

- Quboid

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Apr 11, 2016, 20:43 Quboid

I'm glad if Dirt Rally is doing well, it does away with the annoying X Games racing stuff and concentrates on being a good, fairly realistic rally game.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
23. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 11, 2016, 18:25 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Apr 11, 2016, 17:24:
Beamer wrote on Apr 11, 2016, 12:53:
That he put "gamers" in quotation marks means he's discussing a certain subset of gamers, and one anyone that's been in nearly any multiplayer game with voice capabilities knows.

No this is the same crap the gaming media did back during the height of the #gg crap. "We didn't mean all gamers just "gamers"." It's just as insulting and wrong.

"mexicans" are rapists
"muslims" are terrorists
"black people" are thieves

Don't call me a racist! Clearly some / a lot of people in those groups do act like that! That's why I put it in quotes.

The only way the quotes work like that is if you're criticizing the claim or people who make those claims, it's not the same if you're also one of the people making the claim.

I think Tachikoma is criticising these people's claim that they are the true gamers, that they speak for all of us. Those who treat gaming like an exclusive club and who harass perceived threats to this club and who will only accept criticism of games from other club members - so only people who like games are allowed to dislike games.

If that's the case, I can see where he's coming from but it is at best a clumsy, unhelpful and inconsiderate description.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Apr 11, 2016, 15:08 Quboid

Seventyfive wrote on Apr 11, 2016, 13:40:
The dev's comment on it is basically trying to say "this is how it works in real life, you're just born one way and you don't get to pick what you identify with"... except we have a huge correlation issue. IRL my guess is that 99+% of people identify with their own gender. I have gay male friends who want to still be men, they just prefer other men. I have gay female friends who still want to be female, they just prefer females. It's very very very rare for someone to want to physically be the opposite sex. But for this new rust thing, you have a 50% chance of being the wrong gender.

This is both why I wouldn't implement this in a game I was making and why I find this interesting. I tend to pick or design characters to be my own race, gender and sexuality because although playing as anything else doesn't bother me, the self-insert fantasy is more convincing the more identifiable my avatar is.

(I don't see you comment on the design decision at all.)

I don't expect a few Internet forum posts to be a representative sample of the community, that just looks like shoddy journalism. There are a few people who appear very upset in an amusing and depressing sort of way but I wouldn't assume the Rust community is any worse than others.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2016, 15:16.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 11, 2016, 11:49 Quboid

I like Rust's system of assigning physical traits to players, it's interesting to see something different and to see how players react.  

- Quboid

16. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 10, 2016, 21:17 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Apr 10, 2016, 19:57:
The dude he replied to said,"The only reason it`s expected is because "gamers" are a bunch of misogynistic, bigoted assholes."

I don't really care what Redmask has said in previous posts, he's right on calling out that crap here and now.

He tried to call that out, but the whole "speaking for others" thing doesn't actually seem relevant and the Saudi Arabia nonsense is silly. Anyway, calling that out is understandable (what does "gamers", including quotes, mean?) but not by Redmask talking about nuance, not when he's part of the problem.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Apr 10, 2016, 19:38 Quboid

killer_roach wrote on Apr 10, 2016, 19:29:
rudra wrote on Apr 10, 2016, 16:49:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2016, 16:34:
Given Molyneux's many post-Bullfrog failures, it's amazing the company was as good as it was back then.

not really. you've got a team of like 10 people, so its much MUCH easier to reign in the 1 crazy guy

Or, conversely, there's less damage for the one crazy guy to do, and less friction involved with simply humoring the crazy guy.

He kinda reminds me of George Lucas. He made good films when he didn't have a huge reputation and ego and the people around him could tell him when he was making a mistake. Creative types need freedom but they also need to be criticise-able.

- Quboid

14. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 10, 2016, 19:34 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Apr 10, 2016, 17:05:
I defeated your childish shit in a single sentence, you're the one playing defense. My views tend to be a bit more nuanced and I don't try to force others to agree with me by painting them all with the same brush.

Complaining that people disagree with you is about 90% of your posts in these topics.

You never did explain why a man writing some of Feminist Frequency's tweets means their founder is 100% discredited, you just complained that this was questioned - "A defense for everything and for everything a defense, I shouldn't be surprised." was your response, yet "people just don't want to listen" was your complaint a couple of days ago. If you had any appreciation of nuance, you wouldn't have consistently misrepresented others views.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 9, 2016, 13:05 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 23:32:
It's been explained countless times why Sarkeesian's arguments are so flawed, people just don't want to listen. They want to pick sides and have a little fight on the internet instead of listening to reason about these things.

You did perhaps the most egregious example of this. You started off quoting part of a post in which I criticised Sarkeesian and in that very post you complained that people who defend Sarkeesian being unable to criticise her and that we're like talking to a wall. You then described Sarkeesian as 100% discredited because some Feminist Frequency tweets had previous appeared elsewhere. When I pointed out that the "elsewhere" was a Fem Freq employee's personal account, you moaned about people defending her without actually giving any reason why the defence was wrong - in other words, you were like talking to a wall, because you were wedded to your viewpoint in the exact way you incorrectly accused me of.

"people just don't want to listen" indeed.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 8, 2016, 23:11 Quboid

What streaming services are best for movies? Netflix seems to be more about TV style shows. I'm in the UK, although that doesn't have to matter.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Quantum Break PC Issues
38. Re: Quantum Break PC Issues Apr 8, 2016, 22:50 Quboid

maddog wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 17:42:
It's on the taskbar.

After installing Windows 10, the little white and black icon that looks like a paper bag with the MS logo on it is the app store.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-windows-store-task-bar-icon

Beamer wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 14:45:

I actually like it a ton, really only having two minor complaints.

But I've had it for two months and don't even know where the Windows Store is, let alone have any interest in finding it and finding things on it. I've never seen anything in W10 advertising it or pushing me to it or even linking to it. I literally wouldn't know it exists if not for everyone discussing what a failure it is (those could also be connected.)

I have absolutely no memory of that. I must have deleted it as soon as Win 10 was installed and it has never been a problem. I don't even know how to get to the app store, such is my apathy and its unobtrusiveness. I don't expect it's hard to find but it hasn't gotten in my way.

I expect DirectX 12 implementations will improve. UMP probably will too, but I have zero faith in Microsoft being either willing or able to make a palatable retail service.

- Quboid

News Comments > Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints
85. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 8, 2016, 22:42 Quboid

nin wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 09:55:
Isn't it amazing how stupid he is? On the one hand you're feeding him, but on the other the responses are so comical I can actually see the appeal of stringing him along...

Him using the phase "the weak-minded males out there including all those coming out of the woodwork on this site" is especially humorous/ironic...that part made me laugh out loud. What an idiot.

He's quite something, isn't he? I don't want to feed him but it's good to see nonsense like his, MA's and Wraith's get called out by a number of people occasionally. To remind and reassure myself that the lunatics haven't taken over the asylum as much as anything.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
7. Re: Feminist Frequency's next video series hits crowdfunding goal. Apr 8, 2016, 17:50 Quboid

Tachikoma wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 07:09:
Even if this theory - that AS and others are in it for the money - was true, and not another lame -chan born narrative, it is irrelevant. The issue at hand - combating the extreme gaming misogyny - is bigger than that.

Thank you. Even if the criticism of Sarkeesian was valid (and I'm not aware of her doing anything more than be good at her job), it does nothing but avoid discussing the actual issue.

- Quboid

46. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2016, 19:22 Quboid

nin wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 18:19:
Quboid wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 17:58:
nin wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 17:07:
What do you mean? He went with her...

Yes but she was the pilot, as if she just automatically becomes Chewie's boss because of space racism holding wookies back :-) Why was she not the co-pilot? As yet unspecified family ties to Han? Or is this just not how Millennium Falcons work?

I assumed it more along the lines of:

Rey: I need to find Luke.
Chewy: RAR RAR! ("I gotta ship, let's roll.")

Honestly, your conversation was the first time I ever questioned who now owned the Falcon. I didn't think it was discussed either way. Is it because she's sitting on stage left (screen right)?

The left seat is the pilot's seat in aircraft except helicopters and I'd always got the impression that Han was in control. I suppose that doesn't have to mean anything about ownership or command, it could simply be that Chewie is expert at navigation/whatever while Han and Rey are both good at actual ship control.

- Quboid

42. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2016, 17:58 Quboid

nin wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 17:07:
What do you mean? He went with her...

Yes but she was the pilot, as if she just automatically becomes Chewie's boss because of space racism holding wookies back :-) Why was she not the co-pilot? As yet unspecified family ties to Han? Or is this just not how Millennium Falcons work?

- Quboid

News Comments > Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints
41. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2016, 17:54 Quboid

Primalchrome wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 16:55:
Devinoch wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 16:13:
"Extremist." God knows when people having equal rights became extremist.
Kind of like how people label sexual practices as political. Or even better...as a choice. I've often wondered how much homosexual sex these nutbag fundamentalists have to engage in before they *chose* women instead. Never had one admit that he consciously chose women over the sweet taste of a man... >shrug< Then again, I live in a state where oral sex between a man and a woman is actually illegal. ROFL. Backwards rednecks.

Please, you don't *choose* to be heterosexual. That's the natural order of things as dictated by the Old Man Upstairs, whereas you have to choose to accept the Devil's handshake and be one of them homosapiens what the Pastor warns us about.

Honestly, choosing to be straight. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Heterosexuality is not a choice!

(I think that's pretty much the dumb-ass rationale; that being hetero is the only natural, real sexuality and anything else is a choice.)

- Quboid

39. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2016, 17:06 Quboid

The thing that bugged me about Star Wars 7 is why did Rey, not Chewie, get the Millennium Falcon?  

- Quboid

5460 Comments. 273 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo