Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5550 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.4
78. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 16, 2016, 15:19 Quboid

Comet wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 04:33:
donate/invest

purchase/pre-order

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 16, 2016, 10:33 Quboid

He's looking out for other artists in this case, that's quite different from encouraging piracy of his own music.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released
9. Re: Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released Jun 16, 2016, 09:22 Quboid

Rigs wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 05:52:
Slashman wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 22:51:
Yahoo, the most boring space 4x I've ever played just expanded.

Yes, the obligatory 'This game is boring' quote...we get it, some of you don't like it. What a shock. This isn't really need-to-know information...

EDIT: That doesn't give you permission to go back through my comments to find some superfluous posts, too...btw...

=-Rigs-=

That's not even a 4x game, it's a search engine. No wonder he found it boring. :-)

- Quboid

69. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 15, 2016, 23:22 Quboid

Need to have it all? The Completionist package lets you have all ships announced up to 2014, plus a couple 2015 Concepts (See package contents).

[...]

The game is currently in alpha version. It will be constantly expanded as we move toward the completed game.

Yours for $18,000.

$18,000.

It's not even complete. It will be all the content up until several years before the game is released. For eighteen thousand U.S. dollars. If you can't see why this is mental, I really don't know what to tell you.

Talk about treating companies differently.

- Quboid

68. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 15, 2016, 23:14 Quboid

Comet wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 20:14:
If you don't agree with me fine.
But in all honestly I simply can't understand why given how game development companies work, your treating this particular company differently?

Aren't they building the game after all?

Other companies do not work like this. The design and the budget are worked out first, they don't morph into something very different as development is progressing. Other companies, at least those that survive, aren't both led and funded by people who will believe things are doable because they want it to be doable.

Any other company that offered DLC for hundreds of dollars long before the game is released would also be laughed at.

- Quboid

News Comments > Elder Scrolls VI in Development
89. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 15, 2016, 22:05 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 17:33:
I have fewer concerns about this than having people treat me like I just crawled out of a sewer when I'm the head of the Fighter's Guild, Mages Guild, and saved the entire damn city.

That's a worse example of the disconnect I mean.

"I am Sir Quboid, Champion of the Fighter's Guild, Master Thief, Silent Assassin, Learned Mage, and I am The Dragonborn. I have fought man and beast the likes of which you have never seen from Solitude to Riften. Move aside, guard!"

"No lollygagging."

"Hey fu ... how'd you like an arrow in the knee?!"

- Quboid

86. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 15, 2016, 17:03 Quboid

ItBurn wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 15:47:
Beamer wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 15:45:
For me, it's more like it's ok to not be able to enter this part of the map, but don't make me stop the quest line I'm focusing on to go grind.

Oblivion had very, very little grinding. That's part of what makes SP games fun. If, in order to continue with the Thieves Guild, I had to go spend a few hours killing animals to collect 10 horns, or to be less snarky go do a bunch of other quests, I'd be annoyed. Now I'm grinding, not gaming.

I hated Oblivion's scaling. There was no point in leveling. It was broken too, staying level 1 was the best strategy. You had to pick the skills you wanted as lesser skills and keep garbage skills as the main skills.

You don't have to grind, there's always a ton of other activities to do. There's the thief guild repeatable quests for example. edit: I guess those quests are grinding... Just continue the main quest or do some side quests/exploration...

It's counter-intuitive to me being able to complete any quest in a game with a character who literally isn't very skillful. I don't like explicit blocks where you must be at least level X to begin a quest but it shouldn't be feasible for someone fresh off the cart to Skyrim to be able to become the head of the thieves guild before they're out of diapers.

It's not grinding to me if there are interesting alternative activities because it's thematic. Repeating quests are rather grindy. Shut up Preston Garvey, no one cares anymore.

- Quboid

82. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 15, 2016, 15:17 Quboid

ItBurn wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 13:56:
Beamer wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 13:49:
People seem to hate level scaling. I see both sides of the argument, and think it can be done just fine with both ways. Some areas scale, some areas don't.

But scaling is somewhat necessary. I mean, it would suck to start the Thieves Guild missions, get halfway through, then be too low a level and have to go do some Fighter's Guild to level up. I'd rather be able to plow through as I want to plow through, even if it means I end up getting great armor from bandits later in the game.

I agree. Level scaling is ok when some things scale and others don't. I disagree about the other part though. I absolutely want my progress to be hindered by my level at some points. That's what it's all about, growing stronger to be able to do things you couldn't before.

I like this sort of progression as long as I'm not being funnelled down a linear route. It's OK to be unable to continue in the Thieves Guild for a while, but it's not OK if a Fighter's Guild mission is the only way to get the XP/weapon/whatever I needed.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: PS4 games will be 'an awful lot prettier' on PS4K, says Sony Jun 14, 2016, 23:49 Quboid

Releasing a PS4 Neo patch will help sales because people buying a Neo will want games which take advantage of their hardware. Imagine the snobbery if CoD had Neo support and Battlefield didn't.

Changing the render resolution is a quick and cheap way to support it. If the engine can handle it, going from 30 FPS to 60 probably isn't too expensive unless animation needs redone or something. If applicable, they could change Level of Detail scaling so the same models/landscape-mesh/textures are shown further away.

None of these are "an awful lot prettier" but Sony are going to say that. That's a bit jarring when the PS4 was apparently so brilliant so recently.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc., etc.
14. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2016, 18:03 Quboid

Fair point, but this is no way to start a discussion. I would have assumed he was referring to distinguishing fantasy from reality if he hadn't clarified and regardless, it's an antagonistic way to bring up any subject.

Other tweets:
Look folks, I am not saying anything about video games causing violence or not. I'm saying, if you enjoy fantasizing about stabbing people in the neck, that is kind of gross.
Forgive me for the legal jargon but: oh sod off you bore. What a ridiculous characterisation of people who play violent videogames, which I'm pretty sure is his intention.

"Missing the bullseye" is a cheap shot. Jonathon Blow is a less successful developer than Notch - who isn't? - but he's hardly a failure.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc., etc.
12. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2016, 11:28 Quboid

Notch isn't saying nobody wants anything else, he's saying not enough people want anything else. Jonathan Blow refers to the games at E3 as if they were Hatred style "look at me, I'm so edgy" sort of crap which isn't fair as these appear to have at least a bit of substance to them.  

- Quboid

9. Re: Prey Announced Jun 14, 2016, 11:06 Quboid

That goes for each of their games, then it turns out this new technology is just their old technology with a few updates and the same flaws. It improves, but it's never the rewrite that many of us would like. I've been getting screwed by dodgy clipping since Morrowind.  

- Quboid

News Comments > DOOM Demo During E3
21. Re: DOOM Demo During E3 Jun 14, 2016, 10:30 Quboid

Desktop sales don't rebound and start throwing fireballs at me after a few seconds, thankfully! That's what I disliked and from this point of view, that rune sounds like it would make the game worse.

Also, trying to avoid causing too much damage seems rather against the spirit of the game. Bouncing around an arena and thinking "better be careful with this rocket launcher, someone might get hurt" just isn't right.

I think I would much prefer the Glory Kill system if it was difficult and optional. If the actual Glory Kill was difficult and not just a button press (with the difficult part being getting to that point) and it gave an optional bonus like Quake's Quad Damage, it would be fun to get a few each level. Being easy to do and essential is probably why I felt the mechanic was getting old after half an hour.

- Quboid

19. Re: DOOM Demo During E3 Jun 14, 2016, 09:40 Quboid

Lack of reload is the sort of thing that makes me call this old-school.

Beamer wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 07:31:
Glory kills aren't QTEs because the enemy is already dead. Just think of them as improvised health stations. In HL, you need to hit Use to use them, too.

They're not dead, they're stunned - if you leave them, they start fighting again. I experimented with one, I stunned it 8 times and every time it started fighting again after a few seconds. I don't like this, it feels like fighting an enemy is a waste of time unless you finish them immediately. It's basically regenerative health. A character gets badly hurt so if they don't participate in combat for a few seconds, they get a boost and keep going as if nothing happened.

If each enemy could only be stunned once or twice, I would be happier with the system. At least then you're doing *something* when you can't finish them off.

- Quboid

12. Re: DOOM Demo During E3 Jun 13, 2016, 21:04 Quboid

I just played about 20 minutes. Very enjoyable old-school shooter, until it hung and I had to press the restart button on my case.

It didn't freeze my computer but it hogged my primary monitor so task manager and suchlike were not visible. I wish TM showed on every window.

- Quboid

News Comments > Tyranny Trailer
9. Re: Tyranny Trailer Jun 13, 2016, 19:41 Quboid

nin wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 18:51:
Quboid wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 18:19:
That's not the most constructive post either nin.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

- George Carlin

I'm just tired of his constant negativity. He's as bad as cutter...

Whoa, whoa, let's not go too far!

Meh, I understand. He seems so incredibly quick to anger, I don't even know how to call out someone like that. It would be nice if you chilled out, CJ_Parker, but I don't think you are capable.

- Quboid

6. Re: Tyranny Trailer Jun 13, 2016, 18:19 Quboid

That's not the most constructive post either nin.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

- George Carlin

- Quboid

2. Re: Tyranny Trailer Jun 13, 2016, 17:29 Quboid

That's a warning to me. If your game is so great, why does your "gameplay reveal" video only show a few short clips of game-engine footage? There isn't even a UI so unless the final game is also minimalist, that's not gameplay footage IMHO.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Fallout 4 VR Plans
7. Re: Fallout 4 VR Plans Jun 13, 2016, 11:13 Quboid

ZeroPike1 wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 11:02:
My male stray cat I found on my doorstep one morning and took in would raise its legs when outside to pee. Would use litter box like normal if I did not let him out. Was an awesome cat.

Here's hoping they make a fun game with it. Maybe get on-board the VR train as well provided games like bridge commander, and fallout and other things make it enough.

Male cats spray to mark their territory so he was probably trying to do that. My cat squats to pee in familiar places but when I take him for a walk (he loves walks almost as much as my dog) he will pee standing bolt upright, spraying whatever is behind him.

If he was't neutered, he'd probably do this in the garden and maybe even around the house.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2016, 22:20 Quboid

SirKnight wrote on Jun 12, 2016, 21:51:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2016, 14:59:

2. Christians have in the past and continue to kill in the name of Christ,

That's not only extremely wrong but extremely ignorant.

Jesus Christ forbids killing as it is a highly sinful act. Anyone who does the type of murder you mention are not Christians. This is why your statement is wrong. Jesus said many times if you believe in him and love him, then you will do as he commands. One of his most important commandments he left us with is to love one another like he loved. No matter if they are your enemy or not. If you do this, then everyone will know you are his disciple, as he said. If you do not obey his commandments, then you are not his disciple. If you are not his disciple, then you are not a Christian. Thus, it is impossible for a Christian to kill in the name of anything, especially in the name of God.

Always keep in mind the teaching of the wolves in sheep's clothing. You can know a person by their works. A good tree does not produce bad fruit, and a bad tree does not produce good fruit.

So you're saying Christianity is a 'religion of peace'? This is exactly the same argument as every other religion and it is exactly as valid.

- Quboid

5550 Comments. 278 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo