Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5933 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
42. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2016, 14:52 Quboid

I don't take a taxi to work, I just typically have other things on my mind and if I don't, I probably want to sit back and rest my eyes. I did once have an entertaining cabbie, my family was doing the tourist thing in New York and the Arabic stereotype who took us to the Empire State Building had my father and I exchanging glances and suppressing laughs. I've no idea what he was ranting about the whole time; traffic, tourists, maybe it was just an act for a good tip.

As jdreyer said, there will be a market for a specific type of human operated taxi, such as tour guides or amusing stereotypes.

jdreyer wrote on Nov 24, 2016, 14:13:
Dacote wrote on Nov 24, 2016, 13:39:
Traffic fatalities will almost drop to zero the second that AI takes over all vehicle traffic.

THIS. I welcome our robot overlords.

Also, think of the savings in government with police no longer needing to enforce traffic violations and parking rules.

At first, the police will be needed to catch people who grief self driving cars. Idiots will step in front to make the car emergency brake, or people who pull out at junctions when they see a self-driving car because they know it will stop. In some countries, self driving cars will be unusable where other cars operate. I hope the cars record enough information to catch idiots and send the message that this ain't gonna work.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2016, 10:21 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 24, 2016, 06:47:
Mind you for taxi it is a fact AI can replace the function, but no AI can replace the human factor that makes an OK experience great or entertaining. And customer satisfaction and service will be a huge thing that will NOT wipe out taxi drivers entirely ever. ^^

A driver who robotically drives me where I want to go *is* a great taxi experience. Maybe that says more about me...

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 23, 2016, 15:03 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 13:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 13:46:
Beamer wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 13:24:
As I was saying in another thread a week or two ago, though, we'll all be replaced by robots. I doubt many people here couldn't be replaced by robots or AI at some point. Doubt many people at all. Actors? Replaceable. CEOs? Replaceable. Police? Replaceable (ED-209!)

The required several dozen AI breakthroughs are not something you gonna see in your lifetime though... AI may beat us at GO, but it sure as hell isn't capable of intelligent behavior, and we are still decades away from an AI that has a mental capacity on par with a dog.

As a start, if we have even 10% of the customer service reps in 10 years that we do now I'd be shocked.

For most of these jobs computers don't need human intelligence, or even cat or dog intelligence, to reduce the required work-force hugely; tasks can be reconfigured to make the most of both human intelligence and machine work-ethic.

My local supermarket replaced about 5 tills with 8 self-checkout booths, and replaced 5 checkout staff with 1 per shift. Instead of 5 humans spending most of their time doing manual labour, computers and customers do that and 1 human spends their time helping any confused customers and approving alcohol purchases by adults. The required intelligence has been concentrated into 1 job per shift.

LittleMe, which policies do you mean and how have they affected jobs?

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 23, 2016, 10:30 Quboid

Angrius Maximis, I suggest you read the article, it goes into more detail than the headline. Could you answer this question I asked yesterday?

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 11:08:
Meh I'd rather focus on all the money bilked by the Clinton Foundation

http://observer.com/2016/08/the-six-clinton-foundation-scandals-everyone-needs-to-know/

Why would you rather focus on that?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
66. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2016, 11:01 Quboid

Well I'm shocked. Absolutely nobody saw this coming!

Trump team won't pursue charges against Hillary Clinton

43. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2016, 18:20 Quboid

unfortunately wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 17:35:
The daily wall of self-proclaimed pol expert posts on this site is laughable.

Check this out for a wall of self-proclaimed "pol" expert posts; is that the sort of miserable self-aggrandising crap you hate?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2016, 15:17 Quboid

Cake  

26. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2016, 15:11 Quboid

Bodolza wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 14:45:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 13:24:
You mean they didn't. Sorry, the media didn't dig into the DNC leaks.

There have been over 1000 articles about the DNC emails on the NY Times alone in the past year.

http://query.nytimes.com/search/sitesearch/?action=click&contentCollection=Politics& region=TopBar&WT.nav=searchWidget&module=SearchSubmit&pgtype=article#/clinton+emails/365days/

That's just a single newspaper. So, as I said, you are either woefully misinformed, or a liar. Which is it?

The DNC leaks are a separate issue to Clinton's private email server - and a simple search for DNC emails would also show articles about Russian hackers (because that's hugely important news that the media should be reporting).

You're absolutely right, but this isn't proof.

25. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2016, 15:00 Quboid

WaltC wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 14:30:
I have a feeling the NY AG will be receiving some legal lessons real soon from President DJT...;)

Yep, like his "lock her up" banana republic chants, he will probably use his position to pursue personal vengeance - which is one of the things Nixon was to be impeached for. Article 2.5.

In disregard of the rule of law, he knowingly misused the executive power by interfering with agencies of the executive branch, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Criminal Division, and the Office of Watergate Special Prosecution Force, of the Department of Justice, and the Central Intelligence Agency, in violation of his duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed.

8. (no comment) Nov 21, 2016, 12:12 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 11:29:
It's funny because the only whining I hear is coming from the whiny babies on the left. Cognitive dissonance is great isn't it?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2016, 11:59 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 10:30:
Hmm.

I hate scenarios, but also hate empty sandboxes. Any time I've played a game like this, I've most enjoyed a sandbox with economics.

Then again, most of my time in a game like this was in SC2000, in which I possibly never did a single scenario, but had enough fun making a successful city in sandbox mode. I did RCT 1 and/or 3, and enjoyed it, but still think I preferred making a successful park over a successful park per someone else's conditions.

There are 3 modes in Planet Coaster:
- Scenarios (which I think are extended tutorials)
- Sandbox - unlimited money
- Challenge - sandbox with economics

I like some economic challenge too, I find it more satisfying to build when I know I have to keep it somewhat practical. Out of limitations comes creativity, as someone more lyrically creative once said.

I have heard it is hard to go broke and it is shallow because of things like the marketing campaigns just being simple buffs. Frijoles makes the economics sound acceptable, I have only played it enough to get confused by the path system

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2016, 11:22 Quboid

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 11:08:
Meh I'd rather focus on all the money bilked by the Clinton Foundation

http://observer.com/2016/08/the-six-clinton-foundation-scandals-everyone-needs-to-know/

Why would you rather focus on that?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 20, 2016, 20:39 Quboid

I get the impression Planet Coaster is a construction sandbox, with a very shallow economic sim. Parkitect looks like it will be more of a business tycoon game.  

News Comments > RollerCoaster Tycoon World Rolls Out
30. Re: RollerCoaster Tycoon World Rolls Out Nov 17, 2016, 22:37 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 20:15:
Right, I really wasn't arguing which is better, but wherever either gets mentioned there is immediate consistent message as if it is being targeted. Just seemed like something that was standing out from the norm.

RCTW is disliked by fans of the early, good Roller Coaster Tycoon games because it's a cheaply made cash-in made to exploit their nostalgia.

25. Re: GeForce Drivers for Fallout 4, Legacy of the Void, & Battlefront Nov 17, 2016, 16:56 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 14:43:
Mystic95Z wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 09:17:
Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 00:07:
Bradley wrote on Nov 16, 2016, 21:06:
Is this the good one? I can't keep them straight.

Planet Coaster is the good one and it unlocks tomorrow. Way too expensive atm - $60 - so I'll be waiting for it for a while.

Its $40.49 on steam right now, not $60.

Whenever you see someone talking about a price that doesn't jibe with what you're seeing assume they're talking about a different currency than US dollars.

$60 does jibe, that's the typical price of a AAA game in USD. Don't expect people to know or care where you're from; dollars on a US-based site are USD unless you specify otherwise. Same reason I have to specify soccer when I mention football here.

23. Re: RollerCoaster Tycoon World Rolls Out Nov 17, 2016, 14:16 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 11:29:
One thing that has become apparent, there seems to be a group of people going out of their way to dump hard on RollerCoaster Tycoon World and singing praise of perfection for Planet Coaster. I have no doubt that one can be bad and one can be good, but it seems a bit uncanny, a bit fabricated in feel.

Do you think people are being paid to promote Planet Coaster over RCTW?

7. Re: GeForce Drivers for Fallout 4, Legacy of the Void, & Battlefront Nov 16, 2016, 22:23 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 16, 2016, 22:11:
Someone posted a video comparison of this, Parkitect, and Planet Coaster the other day.

Basically, Parkitect is like old school RCT exactly, Planet Coaster is it brought into a modern generation with a ton of really interesting features that may just be timesucks, and this was a giant, heaping pile of trash that bounced between numerous devs.

Nerd Cubed's video perhaps? That's pretty much his verdict.

News Comments > Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal?
12. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 16:34 Quboid

Beamer, here's what I assume is the most controversial bit:

The cutscenes almost always paint DedSec as an Anonymous-esque group of peaceful hacktivists, which begs the question: Why are guns here at all, beyond the stun gun that you start the game with?

That's not the only place where Watch Dogs 2's tone falters. Many of the missions Marcus takes on are more problematic than the game cares to note. In one, you hack into a teenage girl's webcam to scare her, to "teach her a lesson" that she shouldn't stream herself online over a webcam.

DedSec's gross, victim-blaming reasoning: Running your webcam is insecure, and someone might stalk her.

[...]

Watch Dogs 2 pays some lip service to the idea that these hackers must struggle to avoid becoming what they hate. By using all-powerful software to manipulate the world, could they be as bad as the corporations they're fighting against? But in the end, lips service is all it is. Over and over, DedSec embraces the role of judge, jury and (when you decide to use guns) executioner, with little real self-awareness.

In a purely comedic story — and one with less emphasis on killing people — this might work, but every time Watch Dogs 2 tried to be more serious, I got ripped out of the game's silly alternate reality.

It is criticising the dissonance, 'gross' actions are inconsistent with being the good guys. In the summary it refers to "[if it] found a better balance between silliness and seriousness, it would be essential, rather than just cathartic."

This is the same problem that Watch Dogs 1 had when you e-mugged random citizens and it affected quite a few people's experience - which makes it exactly the sort of thing that a review should talk about.

News Comments > Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal?
9. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 15:26 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 13:32:
NKD wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 12:19:

Unsurprisingly Polygon found the presence of guns and the ability to do bad things incredibly 'problematic' and 'gross'.

Which for any other game would be laughable, but read up on the basic story premise and you'll understand why it's not just problematic, but completely insane in the context of the story.

Crime AI flags someone with 86% probability to be the next jerkface 2.0
jerkface 2.0 fights this because he feels it's not right
jerkface 2.0 becomes a murdering terrorist to prove he is not a murdering terrorist???
Crime AI correctly flagged jerkface 2.0

Which makes for an extremely questionable "moral of the story" if you were being flippant, you could even construct that Ubisoft promotes terrorism, well, depending on how the story ends.

This was a big problem with WD1, the protagonist was supposed to be a good guy but the writing was so bad and the gameplay so unimaginative, there was a massive disconnect between what we saw/did and what we were told to think. Polygon can get rather hand-wringy but this just looks like they have standards for story telling.

News Comments > Gone Home for Free
43. Re: Gone Home for Free Nov 13, 2016, 12:10 Quboid

Retired wrote on Nov 13, 2016, 06:28:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 13, 2016, 01:19:
NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 20:00:
Saboth wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 19:51:
He ran on the premise he was a Washington outsider, and once in office, he was going to clean up Washington, "drain the swamp",

Yeah... it has been really sad watching Trumpsters try and perform mental gymnastics to explain away the imminent appointment of sleazy Washington insiders, climate deniers, and evangelical Christians. Yeah, a lot of Trump supporters don't have a problem with that, but you had a lot of people outside of the traditional Republican base voting for him as well.

It's especially funny watching the atheist Trumpsters try to explain Mike "Mandatory Creationism in Schools" Pence.

Yeah, he campaigned on anti-DC corruption and isolationism. He went after sacred cows that neither part would touch like the lobbying ban and a more isolationist foreign policy. Anti-free trade too.

Now he's installing the worst of the Bush Neocons and stocking his team with lobbyists.

Not fair!

*GASP

You dont think he will do what he said!?

NONE OF THEM EVER HAVE!!!!!!!

Isn't the whole point that he's different, specifically that he's an honest straight talker?

"Trump is a liar"
"Yeah, well, the one good reason to vote for him doesn't actually exist!"

That's not the most compelling defence of the man.

5933 Comments. 297 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo