Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5663 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans
13. Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 6, 2016, 17:27 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 16:07:
JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 15:48:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 14:29:

I don't see them doing this ever again. They're just doing it this time because some people got in early, and they want everyone to start at the same time.

Then why are they wiping the servers on Sunday and releasing the game on Thursday?
Don't start tossing logic into this rabbit hole, it's deep.
I will never twit but the link for Harrys wipe would not open, here it is https://twitter.com/HarryDenholm/status/761669788380921856

7th (Sun): Wipe
9th (Tue): PS4 Release
12th (Fr): PC Release

Perhaps 2 days to test the fresh universe and make sure it is ready for the official release. I don't know if PS4 players and PC players share a universe.

(Plural of axis is axes and if that [gender-neutral] bit was a jab at me, well played )

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2016, 17:07 Quboid

Sandy was a hurricane in the Caribbean, briefly major, but borderline when it hit the US and downgraded soon after. Wind speed is the only factor for the official definition of major.  

- Quboid

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2016, 15:54 Quboid

PHJF wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 15:29:
Guess we are pretending Sandy didn't happen?

Was that even a hurricane? IIRC it was just a tropical storm. Certainly not major, it just hit a major city not used to them, and where news organisations are based.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam VR Tracking Royalty-free
2. Re: Steam VR Tracking Royalty-free Aug 4, 2016, 23:28 Quboid

I'm surprised you didn't try it out of curiosity, even with no chance of you buying your own. Have you tried either VR headset before?  

- Quboid

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2016, 17:50 Quboid

That 3 billion figure is almost certainly made up and perpetuated because it sounds good.

Why global ratings are bollocks and how this applies to the Olympics.

That journalist, Nick Harris, is a very good. He was part of the team that broke the latest Russia doping scandal in 2013, 3 years before authorities did ... as little as they could.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Interviews
17. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 4, 2016, 17:04 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 16:17:
Tumbler wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 15:02:
Doesn't "Aug lives matter" fit all to well? The story is about augmented people not being treated as human or worse...? Assuming Aug lives matter is said seriously in the game that seems ok. Assuming black lives matter accomplishes something people would Co opt in the future for their own cause.

I agree. I don't think it's out of place.

Although, there are a lot of people out there that wrongly think blacks are trying to make themselves special and get special treatment through the BLM movement. So you're going to get pushback for such a politically charged phrase.

It makes sense in the context of the game, from what I know of it. Using it on marketing, referencing current events where people are dying, is a bit tacky especially if they were intentionally courting controversy.

Not saying this is trivial (except I am, because it is) but I'm honestly more bothered by the apparent bad grammar. It should be either "Augs' Lives Matter" or "Aug Lives Matter", depending on whether it means "Augmented People's Lives" or "Augmented Lives".

- Quboid

12. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 4, 2016, 15:39 Quboid

Holocaust is used in other contexts, such as nuclear holocaust. I view the word apartheid in similar light; clearly associated with one particular case but still with the wider meaning. Ground Zero and D-Day are other examples.

If the segregation in the game is done right then I don't think there is any problem at all. I don't follow "especially not in video games" at all, why would video games be held to a different standard to other media?

People getting it the wrong way around are idiots and should not be pandered too.

- Quboid

8. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 4, 2016, 13:55 Quboid

Thanks CJ_Parker, nin, there is more to it than I knew.  

- Quboid

2. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 4, 2016, 11:01 Quboid

It is rather cack-handed marketing. Is there a specific 'apartheid' controversy, or is it just that the game includes segregation? I'm in favour of games tackling such issues even if the result is likely to be a bit of a caricature.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Please stop using Videosift. Aug 3, 2016, 23:53 Quboid

I think quite a few of the videos are ones that Blue finds using Videosift so he directs to where credit is deserved. He addressed this a few months ago, IIRC basically it is a quick way to find interesting videos so he can spend more time on actual gaming news.

I don't mind Videosift and it works fine for me. Much better than nothing, which was the alternative.

- Quboid

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
254. Re: 7 will get security updates until 2020. Aug 2, 2016, 00:09 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 23:38:
Just so happens for most PC users there's no Windows 10 enhancement, new feature, or looming security threat that makes upgrading a must-do proposition.

There's no looming security threat?! What's your source, every hacker in the world?

We don't know what unknown exploits there are. Using the newest software is the best way to reduce risk.

- Quboid

244. Re: Windows 7 is FINE Aug 1, 2016, 22:54 Quboid

descender wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 19:14:
People have this weird idea that they actually "own" their Windows software and deserve total control over it. In reality you haven't actually "owned" anything more than a license to run Windows since 95.

I agree about Windows 10 and I understand that this is the legal reality but they can go to hell in that regard. Do what you want with your computer, you own it. The law is wrong, assuming these licenses are indeed legal.

- Quboid

240. Re: Windows 7 is FIN Aug 1, 2016, 21:30 Quboid

Microsoft will begrudgingly continue to provide security patches for issues that they are aware of and quite possibly only when they become public knowledge.

How much time and money do you think Microsoft are going to spend updating an operating system that they don't even want to encourage people to use?

- Quboid

238. Re: Windows 7 is FINE Aug 1, 2016, 19:30 Quboid

With old versions of Windows, you're open to exploits that remain unpatched for years. With new versions, you're open to exploits by Microsoft. I trust MS a lot more than random internet hackers but it's really damning that there's even a question.

The importance of security patches makes them forcing feature alterations all the more unethical.

Like HorrorScope, I'm not too worried. I think that Microsoft closing down Windows would create demand for alternatives like SteamOS, Linux in general and APIs like Vulkan. To torture the analogy as much as the frogs, as the water gets warmer some frogs are already jumping out and I'm confident that I'll notice when I get too warm and be able to jump out onto a decent platform (and not out of the boiling pot and into the fire).

- Quboid

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2016, 16:44 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 15:57:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 15:46:
Regardless of political affiliation, I think you'll find this pretty funny.

How Homer became a Democrat.
Great Speeches by A. Hitler, and other things plagiarized. Nailed it

Homer became a Democrat because he wanted to get screwed by that woman who became famous in the nineties?

Fair enough.

- Quboid

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2016, 16:37 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 15:13:
First successful parachute jump--without a chute--from 25k.

So, I hate to be that guy, but how many unsuccessful ones were there?

It's not a parachute jump if it's without a chute.

HA! Most gloriously petty victory ever! Headbang Laugh

(and I was quoting someone else too!)

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
35. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 1, 2016, 16:22 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 13:59:
Quboid wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 13:41:
Is there anybody who cares about a lack of McGuffin or story line? That's certainly not what I mean by an apparent lack of content or things to do.

I'm pretty sure the plot is to get to the center of the universe. How you get there is your story.

I stand corrected. It doesn't lack a plot, but it's plot is lacking.

Maybe there will be a compelling reason to get there but anyway that's not so important; it's about the journey not the destination. The game I've played most in the last year is a city builder.

To be fair to NMS, I don't think it's too unlikely that it will be enjoyable for 10, maybe 20 hours. I'm not saying that's good value at $60 but it's above average. I'll cut failed innovation a lot more slack than failed iteration so even if in my opinion it's not a good game, I'll probably hold it in higher regard than CoD:Next and suchlike.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 1, 2016, 13:41 Quboid

Is there anybody who cares about a lack of McGuffin or story line? That's certainly not what I mean by an apparent lack of content or things to do.  

- Quboid

224. Re: bring on the Store Fronts and easy downloads Jul 31, 2016, 18:54 Quboid

You want more markets but consider fewer launchers to be more important.
We want fewer launchers but consider more markets to be more important.

No one is in denial, we just have different opinions. I think we want the same stuff, it's just our priorities which differ.

- Quboid

217. Re: bring on the Store Fronts and easy downloads Jul 31, 2016, 02:19 Quboid

Wait, there are people who still close their browser before gaming? I haven't done that for a decade. I often have 1080p/60 FPS video playing in Chrome on another monitor while running an intensive game and I don't have a particularly high end system.

A smaller footprint is better but RAM is there to be used and performance isn't affected unless you run out and ... is that still a thing that happens? I've fought with bootdiscs and autoexec.bat to try to eek a double-figure framerate out of Quake. I'm not pleased to waste 650MB or whatever but I am pleased to not need to give a crap anymore.

- Quboid

5663 Comments. 284 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo