Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5936 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 21, 2016, 18:22 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 18:03:
[projecting]

Do you have anything at all to back up your original post? Why do you think she would misuse crowdfunding money?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 21, 2016, 16:30 Quboid

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 16:17:
Quboid wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:48:
Beamer wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:08:
Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:06:
So by this she means run a crowdfunding drive for a couple of million bucks and then just absconds with the money? That sound about the size of it?

And VW finds this pretty funny because after Jan 20th it'll all disappear. It's carte blanche for the corporations for the next 4 years in America. Welcome back to the gilded age of the robber barons.

What money has Brianna Wu kickstarted and absconded with? Her crappy game only generated $13k, and it's been released, so...

But this is the kind of sloppy, irrational hate I expect. Plenty of reasons to dislike Wu, who is perfectly dislikeable on her own, but people keep feeling the need to invent new ones.

Dude, her game was delayed. That doesn't just happen in this industry to people I disagree with.

The PC port of her game (which is all that Kickstarter was for) was massively delayed by years and while the game itself is pretty awful, the PC port was absolute hot garbage that was basically abandoned after going up on Steam. Not to mention how she's been getting thousands a month from Patreon to supposedly hire and pay someone to deal with all the harassment she claims to be getting, a person who by all accounts, probably never existed.

I mean hey, be smug if you want but aside from her insufferable personality and injecting herself into controversies on purpose in order to generate attention for herself, she's also a terrible developer and quite likely, a fraud.

Not according to her Patreon page she isn't, she's $1K/m short. Why did you think this was the case, or is there something I don't know?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 21, 2016, 14:50 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:21:
Bodolza wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 13:55:
Cutter wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 23:08:
I generally like the EFF but this is complete bullshit and outright lying.
Sorry, Cutter, but this is all accurate.

He promised to identify and deport millions of your friends and neighbors
Donald Trump: "We have at least 11 million people in this country that came in illegally. They will go out"

track people based on their religious beliefs
Donald Trump: "We’re going to have to look at a lot of things very closely We’re going to have to look at the mosques. We’re going to have to look very, very carefully."

suppress freedom of the press
Donald Trump: "I'm going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money"

Yeah, and you've just verified everthing I've said, so what's your point? Why are you saying "Sorry" like I'm wrong when I'm right? What part of "illegal" or "mosque" don't you understand?

Cutter, Bodolza verified what the EFF ad said, which you said this was "complete bullshit and outright lying". You were wrong. Grow up.

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 21, 2016, 14:48 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:08:
Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:06:
So by this she means run a crowdfunding drive for a couple of million bucks and then just absconds with the money? That sound about the size of it?

And VW finds this pretty funny because after Jan 20th it'll all disappear. It's carte blanche for the corporations for the next 4 years in America. Welcome back to the gilded age of the robber barons.

What money has Brianna Wu kickstarted and absconded with? Her crappy game only generated $13k, and it's been released, so...

But this is the kind of sloppy, irrational hate I expect. Plenty of reasons to dislike Wu, who is perfectly dislikeable on her own, but people keep feeling the need to invent new ones.

Dude, her game was delayed. That doesn't just happen in this industry to people I disagree with.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 21, 2016, 09:54 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 23:08:
I generally like the EFF but this is complete bullshit and outright lying.

"He promised to identify and deport millions of your friends and neighbors, track people based on their religious beliefs, and suppress freedom of the press."

No, he said he was going to deport illegal criminals, and what's wrong with that? He's said he's going to crack down on Islam, not religion in general.

Is that really outright lying? The people you describe as illegal criminals are also people trying to live normal lives. Tracking people because they are Muslim is tracking people on their religious beliefs.

Oh of course, what you meant was "The EFF are sometimes on team Cutter but on this occasion they're not".

(Beamer: Don't quote posts that start with a Q!)

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2016, 10:07.

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale Thursday?
13. Re: Steam Winter Sale Thursday? Dec 20, 2016, 20:26 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 20:07:
I use http://www.whenisthenextsteamsale.com/ to guesstimate when the next Steam sale will appear.

I'd bet good money this article spells it out. Voting on the Steam Awards starts on the 22nd and ends on the 30th, with the voting category changing each day; nice way to get people to visit at least daily. The sale will probably continue for a few more days, with award winners featured.

We'll probably get trading cards or something if we vote so there's a few pence added to my Steam wallet.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2016, 20:36.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 20, 2016, 15:27 Quboid

Frijoles wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 15:06:
Those Test of Time awards are all shit. TF2 is the only one that really should be there. Skyrim? Really? I mean it's only ... 5 years old?! Oh Lord I'm so old.

How does Age of Empires II HD qualify there? It's only 3.5 years old and if the nomination is for AoE2, the fact that an HD remaster exists is pretty clear proof that it didn't stand the test of time.

Not sure who was in need of a hug in Far Cry either, was that supposed to be Vaas?!

That's public choice awards for you. I'm starting to think these awards are just filler for their Winter sale.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Dec 19, 2016, 18:30 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 15:44:
Beamer wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 14:41:
It's always fun to play the "guess where Cutter's views fall" game.
Essentially, look at it from "does this impact Cutter."

If a topic is about rich CEOs, then Cutter will call them evil for holding back wages, because that may impact him directly.

If the topic is about millenials complaining about bad wages, then he'l call them entitled, because he's not a millenial so there's no way he can fathom improved wages for millenials helping him out, personally.

Never mind that there's a huge inconsistency between endlessly complaining about low wages, then calling others doing so "entitled."
Cutters views are subject to change per post. But that's why we luv him.

He has an almost unique talent to look at any situation so completely from his own perspective, he seems constantly baffled and angered that people don't just agree with him. If he had money he'd be Trump.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
48. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 16, 2016, 21:13 Quboid

DangerDog wrote on Dec 16, 2016, 14:50:
The news media has been on a slow and steady decline for years now, I remember when we had shows like 20/20 and Dateline that actually reported on issues and whistle blowers were treated like hero's but somewhere along the way they became completely beholden to corporate and government propaganda. Dare not to report on anything that might offend advertisers or the political elite, we must vilify whistle blowers like Snowden and Assange.

The story about the lady that won a huge lawsuit from Mc Donald's for the "Hot Coffee" incident recently came up, kind of funny seeing how the media spun it into a false narrative. What year was that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCkL9UlmCOE

Even back then they couldn't do honest reporting, you have to be extremely gullible to not think Mc Donald's were pulling the strings on most of these news stories.

There are mainstream media organisations which give credit to whistle blowers. Snowden leaked his info via several major news media outlets. Assange got plenty of credit too, although he is not above criticism. Neither of them are, nor should they be; the messenger's motives should be considered when reading the message.

A problem - and this applies to all of us - is that "mainstream media" or similar phrases encompass a wide range of outlets. Whatever one's regard for Fox News and The Guardian, these are very different organisations.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 16, 2016, 21:01 Quboid

Did the US government just do something non-partisan which is entirely to the benefit of people, hurting unscrupulous businesses and lawyers?

Well I never.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
29. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 15, 2016, 23:39 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 21:30:
It's amazing how people who make $30K per year thought a landed gentry billionaire would have their best interests in mind.

"That makes me smart" was his comment in the first debate on the subject of his taxes, i.e. him exploiting the American people as much as he can get away with.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
64. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 15, 2016, 08:41 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 07:07:
Quboid wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 17:58:

I can't figure out what you think this says about progressives, or anyone or anything else. Why have you mentioned this? Why do you think this helps, or is relevant to your point?

Not paying attention to the press at all? The people who were pressing the "big-dangerous-alt-right" story were self-labeled progressives. Along with media that falls directly into that camp.

I presume this disproves some strawman argument of yours because I don't see what this has to do with anything.

At a stretch, it proves that progressives and the media didn't talk about this enough, since the people you mentioned in post #25 and then pretended don't exist in post #33 got their candidate elected.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2016, 12:52.

60. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 13, 2016, 17:58 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 05:16:
That "dangerous alt-right" that nobody has really heard of, except the progressives pushing it.

I can't figure out what you think this says about progressives, or anyone or anything else. Why have you mentioned this? Why do you think this helps, or is relevant to your point?

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
16. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 13, 2016, 00:22 Quboid

Scheherazade wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 14:54:
In any case, it's important to keep game theory in mind, as a filter. Simply accepting that someone is your enemy, because someone else tells you so, is insufficient. They have to actually _be_ an enemy - by their actions.

-scheherazade

They do plenty of things that I'm not going to bother listing out. I don't mean they plan to declare war any time soon but there are plenty of people in positions of power who don't like us and as powerful competitors they will exploit any weakness. They wanted Trump elected because he has and will create plenty of weaknesses in the West.

The actions of the US and other countries are irrelevant. There is plenty about our foreign policies that I don't like but that does not mean we shouldn't care about danger, be it economic, political, cyber or military. Disbanding NATO won't stop the Vietnam war from being a colossal screw-up.

56. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 12, 2016, 15:01 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 11:06:
Quboid wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 09:47:
Beamer, you're not talking about right-wing gamers so generalisation is allowed.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain this site is left leaning, but not terribly so. We have a few out and out conservatives, such as Verno and Prez, and at this point I feel as if I get on fine with them, butting heads over a few social things and that's it (though, very much not always the case with Prez and I.)

I don't feel like denying climate change and pizzagate are "conservative" positions.

By right-wing, I'm referring to True Conservatives. To Pizzagate types, No True Scotsm Conservative believes climate change, that's for "Republicans In Name Only".

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2016, 10:23 Quboid

So that's a yes on me being an insensitive dick?

I suppose it impacts on a sufferer's ability to spend time doing normal stuff without thinking about illness and treatment and so on. That will be demoralising and coupled with the apparent importance of a positive mindset, I can see that it matters even if the headline does overdo it.

51. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 12, 2016, 09:47 Quboid

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 09:26:
Hehe, libs still in denial about losing the election to a guy with the worst combover in history. Blame it on Martians next.

I have heard a lot about illegal aliens coming into the US to vote, you might be on to something.

Beamer, you're not talking about right-wing gamers so generalisation is allowed. Like when Mashiki said he believes in meritocracy and then criticises Twitter for banning some who broke the ToS but who is gay - that person supported right-wing gamers (while they were useful to him) so it's completely different.

14. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 12, 2016, 09:30 Quboid

"Since when is Russia our enemy?"

Open a history book.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 11, 2016, 19:17 Quboid

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 11, 2016, 17:47:
Planet Coaster... of love..... *hums along*

I'm not enjoying it as much as I had expected, it needs you to obsess over every detail a bit too much for me.

The decoration system is great to hand-design pretty much anything but it gets tedious positioning and rotating every bush, every tree, every street light. Changing a shop should be a drop-down menu, not customise, delete shop, delete sign, delete awning, add shop, add sign, add awning and then start training the employee from scratch. A few quality of life features would go a long way.

12. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 11, 2016, 17:52 Quboid

El Pit wrote on Dec 11, 2016, 11:51:
JediPunisher wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 16:48:
I'm sure you're referring to the Obamites who opted to stay home rather than turn out to vote for a candidate who was about as exciting as moldy cheese.

Please stop insulting moldy cheese. Thank you.

Love me some filthy, over-ripe Stilton

5936 Comments. 297 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo