Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5669 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 22:29 Quboid

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 21:36:
I need feedback.
A new employee asked me what the Amazon smile is on the side of all the boxes at work. I need a really GOOD response, because my 'It's a penis or a smile... I mean who wouldn't be smiling to get a box full of penis's" but I think that may be a little over the top, and I fseriously told her that I wasn't sure but I would find out for her.
It's my "Friday" so my brain is turned off till Thursday, so looking for some brainpower to come up with something clever. And at least a PG version and a R/X version

Do you mean the arrow on the Amazon logo? Supposedly it points from A to Z to indicate that Amazon stock everything.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Season Pass Details
2. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Season Pass Details Aug 22, 2016, 18:19 Quboid

What are chipsets, premium currency?

I hope the balance-breaking 'bonus' stuff can be turned off.

- Quboid

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 14:50 Quboid

nin wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 13:24:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 13:07:
SlimRam wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 12:48:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 11:16:
After 43 hours I finally got to the center of No Man's Sky and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I'm livid. I'll put the reasons why here:
Yup Angry Joe's review went up last night and it ain't pretty. Pretty much sums up what everyone's been screamin' about.

Complaints from someone who put 40+ hours in a game should be taken with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the AJ review, he's always good for a laugh or two.

It brings up an interesting point. If someone says they played for 20+ hours and it was "horrible" was it really that bad?

No, unless the gamer is a masochist. It could be mediocre, or it could have a horrible ending, but if it is worth playing for 20+ hours, it's not horrible. It's like Steam reviews that call a game boring yet they have hundreds of hours played ... clearly it wasn't too bad!

This doesn't apply to Kxmode, whose primary complaint refers to something specific that happened after a while. That's like saying Mass Effect 3 has a horrible ending ... fair enough IMHO.

- Quboid

News Comments > DCS: Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst Takes Off
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 21, 2016, 20:51 Quboid

Thanks, that's pretty good. I tried a free to play flightsim with a DK1 and the VR was amazing but reading instruments or identifying other aircraft was pretty hopeless.  

- Quboid

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Details and Plans
9. Re: NMS player base says buh bye Aug 21, 2016, 16:52 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 15:39:
http://www.githyp.com/no-mans-sky-has-lost-78-of-its-playerbase-in-its-first-week-on-steam/

What's the typical drop-off rate for exploration games?

- Quboid

News Comments > DCS: Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst Takes Off
10. Re: DCS: Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst Takes Off Aug 21, 2016, 12:41 Quboid

How legible are the instruments in VR? Can you read the altimeter at a glance?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews
66. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews Aug 21, 2016, 09:09 Quboid

You haven't called anyone out, except when you have but that doesn't count because you don't want it to. Fair enough.

You said it was sexist to call people sexist, while you called people sexist. That's the closest thing to any kafkatrap and you pulled it on yourself.

- Quboid

64. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews Aug 20, 2016, 15:54 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 02:54:
anyone who doesn't agree is a racist/sexist/etc.

I take it you're just pretending that you haven't repeatedly called people you disagree with sexist?

- Quboid

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV Rights of Man Announced
6. Re: Europa Universalis IV Rights of Man Announced Aug 19, 2016, 23:59 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 22:48:
Quboid wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 21:17:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 19:19:
What's a "fetishist" religion.. seriously? I don't even dare googling that.

It's a general term for tribal religions where some item is believed to be a God and is worshipped (or fetishised). Maybe a tree or a waterfall or some old skull. The item is literally the God, unlike the Christian cross which is representative. Source (SFW)

I presume the modern meaning derives from this. I can sort of see how, worshipping feet or whatever. Never understood that one but whatever floats one's boat.

Thanks
That's an interesting article.... but wouldn't the actual name for such religions be Totemism or Idolatry? Fetishism could describe literally any religion on the planet, if you extend the meaning to religious texts and symbols... mhhh ,)

Learned something anyway

Eeeeh I'm a bit out of my depth but as I understand it: it is pretty vague as it's describing a range of separate religions developed somewhat independently in different tribes, each with their own ideas of what worship involves. A collective term that colonists used for natives' religions that they didn't care about the specifics of.

I think there's a lot of overlap between it and Totemism, Idolatry and Animism but TBH you'd be better off reading someone who knows what they're talking about. I guess I don't really care enough about the specifics ... some things never change.

- Quboid

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV Rights of Man Announced
4. Re: Europa Universalis IV Rights of Man Announced Aug 19, 2016, 21:17 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 19:19:
What's a "fetishist" religion.. seriously? I don't even dare googling that.

It's a general term for tribal religions where some item is believed to be a God and is worshipped (or fetishised). Maybe a tree or a waterfall or some old skull. The item is literally the God, unlike the Christian cross which is representative. Source (SFW)

I presume the modern meaning derives from this. I can sort of see how, worshipping feet or whatever. Never understood that one but whatever floats one's boat.

- Quboid

53. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews Aug 19, 2016, 21:05 Quboid

NKD wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 20:51:
dangerman77 wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 16:23:
Seriously, can anyone (industry-informed, Rigs?) offer an opinion as to why they are only allowing official press-release screens in reviews? (RPS confirms this is the case in the postscript of their review). Is there any precedence for this? My BS meter starts at 9/10, and of course is pinned with this tidbit.

I agree with Rigs. While it's possible it's something nefarious like "Lets cover up horrific graphics downgrade!", not one of the reviews I've read make mention of the game looking significantly different from what we we're shown, so I'm not sure that's it. The game looks about the same as it has for a long time in the latest gameplay footage as well. It could be an attempt to prevent accidental spoilers while reading reviews, as well.

It really is puzzling.

It sets off a few alarm bells, right?

It is probably a heavy handed attempt to avoid spoilers being leaked, with the not unwelcome side effect of ensuring the prettiest shots are used. Even if there's no downgrade, the publicity shots will be nicely staged and framed to avoid a rogue low-res texture or whatever.

If anyone does come across someone in-the-know commenting on this, please let us know.

- Quboid

51. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews Aug 19, 2016, 21:00 Quboid

Rigs wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 19:28:
TangledThorns wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 16:53:
I miss Gametrailers's reviews. Who else does good video reviews?

I prefer Mr. Jim 'Fucking' Sterling 'Son' myself *ducks*, along with Mack at WAB (Worth a Buy?). I'd say 'Angry Joe' but he seems to be taking longer and longer to get reviews out lately. Maybe the always presentable Mr. James Allen (Out of Eight)? He should be around here somewhere...

=-Rigs-=

I'm not sure what's going on with Angry Joe. His reviews take ages and when they come there's lots of dull Twitch footage instead of reviewing or jokes. I know he had a lot of trouble with copyright strikes so maybe he's focusing on other stuff like movie reviews. Twitch footage aside, I still enjoy his reviews. WAB had its moments but I got tired of Mack, he waffled too much and I think he gets off on being contrary.

NerdCubed is very good. He doesn't really do reviews but he knows his stuff and shows enough of the games to get an idea about them. His No Man's Sky Alternatives video is quite interesting.

Jim Fucking Sterling Son has just posted a video nominally about Girl Amazon Survival but he talks about DX:MD. I haven't watched/listened yet. I like his work but I can definitely, definitely understand why someone might not, if you don't agree with him he's probably more antagonising than persuasive.

- Quboid

45. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews Aug 19, 2016, 17:06 Quboid

TangledThorns wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 16:53:
I miss Gametrailers's reviews. Who else does good video reviews?

The GT guys are on YouTube as Easy Allies now. There isn't a Final Bosman replacement but they still do game reviews.

- Quboid

35. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews Aug 19, 2016, 15:09 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 14:17:
Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 13:20:

Wait, you think something changed 10 years ago?
Let me guess: you're late 20s or early 30s?

Helpful hint: what changed wasn't the reviews, it was you. Pretty much everyone hits a point around late teens or early 20s where they realize the flaws of enthusiast media. Yet, for some reason, gamers seem to think there's a difference between video games and other forms of media, in that somehow they think that covering media isn't a very limited thing.

Might want to re-read that again and take a deep breath. FYI neither of the above.

Helpful hint: It was the reviews that changed. If you're actually old enough to remember, then you'll remember when the same thing happened in the print publications in the 1990's and the internet was becoming popular. And you'll also remember what happened then is happening now with print publications as youtube(and online reviewers) are cutting into the websites reviews. But if you're still in your 20's then you likely don't. In which case I'll explain in my next reply in about 14 hours when I get up.

Shocking people have preferences? Who knew? And there's that part where you miss how publications have changed over the last 10 years.

The business has changed, for the worse, but the nature of reviews - that they have always been subjective - and therefore critic scores (your original point, which Beamer correctly read) have always been effectively useless.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Aug 19, 2016, 11:35 Quboid

nin, mate, you don't take the guy who calls the Xbox the Shitbox seriously?!?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Ubisoft VR Games Release Schedule
7. Re: Ubisoft VR Games Release Schedule Aug 18, 2016, 19:46 Quboid

Ventura wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 16:58:
Anyone getting into VR might aswell buy the CV1 because it's only the sit down experiences that have any kind of longevity.

I'm slightly glad to hear that, I've been worried that VR isn't worth buying without space for non-seated games. It would be better to have loads of content for both but that's a few years away at best.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 18, 2016, 18:05 Quboid

I don't agree with the 1 in 100M miles ratio (presuming 100M miles is how far they've been driven since the shield was added). That's not enough data to make any useful estimate beyond "very rarely". You can't plot a graph with 1 coordinate.

The news tends to give an inverted impression of the safety of different modes of transport simply because the safer something is, the more newsworthy it failing is. Supposedly some people think air travel is more dangerous than road travel with the rarity (along with scale) of each tragedy masking the truth.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 18, 2016, 15:29 Quboid

Where is the 1 per 100M miles ratio coming from? How many times has this happened?  

- Quboid

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2016, 14:19 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 13:22:
Well it's good to know that NASA only consisted of 3 black women and it was their sole effort alone that put man on the moon.

Rolleyes

Is this you not bothering to click on the link or you thinking that the victim of 1960's racism in the USA is a white dude from Canada in 2016?

- Quboid

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Aug 18, 2016, 13:41 Quboid

Phasenoise wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 09:30:
PHJF wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 07:17:
Type in "gg ez" to everyone now and you'll end up telling your fellow players such delightful phrases as:

I feel very, very small... please hold me...
It's past my bedtime. Please don't tell my mommy.
I'm wrestling with some insecurity issues in my life but thank you for playing with me.
I'm trying to be a nicer person. It's hard, but I'm trying, guys.

Yeah gg ez is such an offensive term, better censor it so we don't offend Anita Sarkeesian or something. Good to know Daddy Blizzard is making sure internet bullies can't upset me in my video games.

Either that, or maybe, Blizzard is just doing some light-hearted screwing with people on the test server.

Nah, must be some conspiracy. Probably because feminism, somehow.

Because feminism is the boogeyman. Wait, boogeywoman. Shit, now the NAACP will be offended.

I was going to make a joke about censorship but couldn't think of one that worked because I thought the connection was too ridiculous.

- Quboid

5669 Comments. 284 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo