Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5663 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2016, 11:59 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 10:30:
Hmm.

I hate scenarios, but also hate empty sandboxes. Any time I've played a game like this, I've most enjoyed a sandbox with economics.

Then again, most of my time in a game like this was in SC2000, in which I possibly never did a single scenario, but had enough fun making a successful city in sandbox mode. I did RCT 1 and/or 3, and enjoyed it, but still think I preferred making a successful park over a successful park per someone else's conditions.

There are 3 modes in Planet Coaster:
- Scenarios (which I think are extended tutorials)
- Sandbox - unlimited money
- Challenge - sandbox with economics

I like some economic challenge too, I find it more satisfying to build when I know I have to keep it somewhat practical. Out of limitations comes creativity, as someone more lyrically creative once said.

I have heard it is hard to go broke and it is shallow because of things like the marketing campaigns just being simple buffs. Frijoles makes the economics sound acceptable, I have only played it enough to get confused by the path system

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2016, 11:22 Quboid

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 11:08:
Meh I'd rather focus on all the money bilked by the Clinton Foundation

http://observer.com/2016/08/the-six-clinton-foundation-scandals-everyone-needs-to-know/

Why would you rather focus on that?

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 20, 2016, 20:39 Quboid

I get the impression Planet Coaster is a construction sandbox, with a very shallow economic sim. Parkitect looks like it will be more of a business tycoon game.  

- Quboid

News Comments > RollerCoaster Tycoon World Rolls Out
30. Re: RollerCoaster Tycoon World Rolls Out Nov 17, 2016, 22:37 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 20:15:
Right, I really wasn't arguing which is better, but wherever either gets mentioned there is immediate consistent message as if it is being targeted. Just seemed like something that was standing out from the norm.

RCTW is disliked by fans of the early, good Roller Coaster Tycoon games because it's a cheaply made cash-in made to exploit their nostalgia.

- Quboid

25. Re: GeForce Drivers for Fallout 4, Legacy of the Void, & Battlefront Nov 17, 2016, 16:56 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 14:43:
Mystic95Z wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 09:17:
Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 00:07:
Bradley wrote on Nov 16, 2016, 21:06:
Is this the good one? I can't keep them straight.

Planet Coaster is the good one and it unlocks tomorrow. Way too expensive atm - $60 - so I'll be waiting for it for a while.

Its $40.49 on steam right now, not $60.

Whenever you see someone talking about a price that doesn't jibe with what you're seeing assume they're talking about a different currency than US dollars.

$60 does jibe, that's the typical price of a AAA game in USD. Don't expect people to know or care where you're from; dollars on a US-based site are USD unless you specify otherwise. Same reason I have to specify soccer when I mention football here.

- Quboid

23. Re: RollerCoaster Tycoon World Rolls Out Nov 17, 2016, 14:16 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 11:29:
One thing that has become apparent, there seems to be a group of people going out of their way to dump hard on RollerCoaster Tycoon World and singing praise of perfection for Planet Coaster. I have no doubt that one can be bad and one can be good, but it seems a bit uncanny, a bit fabricated in feel.

Do you think people are being paid to promote Planet Coaster over RCTW?

- Quboid

7. Re: GeForce Drivers for Fallout 4, Legacy of the Void, & Battlefront Nov 16, 2016, 22:23 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 16, 2016, 22:11:
Someone posted a video comparison of this, Parkitect, and Planet Coaster the other day.

Basically, Parkitect is like old school RCT exactly, Planet Coaster is it brought into a modern generation with a ton of really interesting features that may just be timesucks, and this was a giant, heaping pile of trash that bounced between numerous devs.

Nerd Cubed's video perhaps? That's pretty much his verdict.

- Quboid

News Comments > Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal?
12. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 16:34 Quboid

Beamer, here's what I assume is the most controversial bit:

The cutscenes almost always paint DedSec as an Anonymous-esque group of peaceful hacktivists, which begs the question: Why are guns here at all, beyond the stun gun that you start the game with?

That's not the only place where Watch Dogs 2's tone falters. Many of the missions Marcus takes on are more problematic than the game cares to note. In one, you hack into a teenage girl's webcam to scare her, to "teach her a lesson" that she shouldn't stream herself online over a webcam.

DedSec's gross, victim-blaming reasoning: Running your webcam is insecure, and someone might stalk her.

[...]

Watch Dogs 2 pays some lip service to the idea that these hackers must struggle to avoid becoming what they hate. By using all-powerful software to manipulate the world, could they be as bad as the corporations they're fighting against? But in the end, lips service is all it is. Over and over, DedSec embraces the role of judge, jury and (when you decide to use guns) executioner, with little real self-awareness.

In a purely comedic story — and one with less emphasis on killing people — this might work, but every time Watch Dogs 2 tried to be more serious, I got ripped out of the game's silly alternate reality.

It is criticising the dissonance, 'gross' actions are inconsistent with being the good guys. In the summary it refers to "[if it] found a better balance between silliness and seriousness, it would be essential, rather than just cathartic."

This is the same problem that Watch Dogs 1 had when you e-mugged random citizens and it affected quite a few people's experience - which makes it exactly the sort of thing that a review should talk about.

- Quboid

News Comments > Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal?
9. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 15:26 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 13:32:
NKD wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 12:19:

Unsurprisingly Polygon found the presence of guns and the ability to do bad things incredibly 'problematic' and 'gross'.

Which for any other game would be laughable, but read up on the basic story premise and you'll understand why it's not just problematic, but completely insane in the context of the story.

Crime AI flags someone with 86% probability to be the next jerkface 2.0
jerkface 2.0 fights this because he feels it's not right
jerkface 2.0 becomes a murdering terrorist to prove he is not a murdering terrorist???
Crime AI correctly flagged jerkface 2.0

Which makes for an extremely questionable "moral of the story" if you were being flippant, you could even construct that Ubisoft promotes terrorism, well, depending on how the story ends.

This was a big problem with WD1, the protagonist was supposed to be a good guy but the writing was so bad and the gameplay so unimaginative, there was a massive disconnect between what we saw/did and what we were told to think. Polygon can get rather hand-wringy but this just looks like they have standards for story telling.

- Quboid

News Comments > Gone Home for Free
43. Re: Gone Home for Free Nov 13, 2016, 12:10 Quboid

Retired wrote on Nov 13, 2016, 06:28:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 13, 2016, 01:19:
NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 20:00:
Saboth wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 19:51:
He ran on the premise he was a Washington outsider, and once in office, he was going to clean up Washington, "drain the swamp",

Yeah... it has been really sad watching Trumpsters try and perform mental gymnastics to explain away the imminent appointment of sleazy Washington insiders, climate deniers, and evangelical Christians. Yeah, a lot of Trump supporters don't have a problem with that, but you had a lot of people outside of the traditional Republican base voting for him as well.

It's especially funny watching the atheist Trumpsters try to explain Mike "Mandatory Creationism in Schools" Pence.

Yeah, he campaigned on anti-DC corruption and isolationism. He went after sacred cows that neither part would touch like the lobbying ban and a more isolationist foreign policy. Anti-free trade too.

Now he's installing the worst of the Bush Neocons and stocking his team with lobbyists.

Not fair!

*GASP

You dont think he will do what he said!?

NONE OF THEM EVER HAVE!!!!!!!

Isn't the whole point that he's different, specifically that he's an honest straight talker?

"Trump is a liar"
"Yeah, well, the one good reason to vote for him doesn't actually exist!"

That's not the most compelling defence of the man.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
10. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 12, 2016, 14:56 Quboid

ledhead1969 wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 14:27:
Dacote wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 14:21:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 14:14:
He talked a good game and it got him elected. But as you point out he's bringing in Neocons. Also he's bringing in a lot of lobbyists. Not only does that portend badly for workers but it also means Trump's promise to drain the swamp is dead in the stagnant brackish water.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/11/opinion/the-wrong-people-to-drain-the-swamp.html?_r=0

I bet you voted for Hillary...a corrupt and serial liar. I'm sure you would have been posting links about her crony appointees, right?

Your *previous* post was complaining about people talking about hypothetical situations and not talking about (irrelevant) actual situations. Now you're complaining about people talking about actual situations, not (irrelevant) hypothetical situations.

You're just interested in having a moan, aren't you?

- Quboid

News Comments > Gone Home for Free
12. Re: Gone Home for Free Nov 12, 2016, 14:51 Quboid

ledhead1969 wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 14:18:
El Pit wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 14:09:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 13:57:
Retired wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 12:27:
Dacote wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 11:07:
"For people that need something about hope and love right now"
Well that could not have come at a better time.

Very dangerous rhetoric.

Sad!

In about two years, people might go to jail for making indirect political comments that are not in line with the president's point of view, so...

Exactly! I bet Trump will also direct the IRS to go after businesses that are conservative too! Plus, be complicit in local governments targeting conservatives with differing viewpoints. Err...wait a second...

http://wapo.st/22xRUgV
http://on.wsj.com/1CSd7Ky

How about you focus not on what might happen and more on what actually has happened and stop being so close-minded.

Do you think Steve Gaynor was referring to past events when he said this, or was he maybe referring to the election?

How about you focus not on irrelevant distractions and more on what is actually being discussed and stop being so closed-minded.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 10:33 Quboid

Thank you, and congratulations again!  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
8. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 9, 2016, 22:40 Quboid

Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 20:53:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 19:40:
Russian Hackers Will Try to Impact More Elections After Trump's Win.

Lovely.
Haha, yeah, since its the bad Russians who are to blame, instead of the people exposed in those hacks.
If we, as so called democratic and free countries, need god damn Russians (!!!) to get the truth to the public, the problem is our system.

Killing the messenger has become trend again lately. Also shows where were really headed.

Can't it be both? The DNC and others need to get their houses in order but Russian hackers don't do this to get the truth to the public, they do this to weaken the US as much as they can. This is not a good thing. This information is selected to manipulate you.

When the messenger is an agent of your country's biggest historic rival, question the message and at least kill the messenger's ability to operate.

- Quboid

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2016, 19:24 Quboid

Peter M. Smith wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 16:02:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 12:33:
I never understood people who spent hours buying a car. It should never take you more than 30 minutes to seal the deal.

In no particular order:

* Research the vehicle's cost with the options you want. There are plenty of resources available online that you can cross-reference. I usually go with median -$500 UNLESS I find a screaming deal at a particular dealership.
* Know, down to the penny, how much you want to pay for the vehicle and stick to it. Do not waver.

Can't understand why people spend hours buying a car. Suggests a couple of hours worth of research. Mixed message here.

Cars are usually the second largest investment of cash and credit a person will make after their mortgage. It's worth taking the time and going through the entire process. Otherwise you'll end up trying to reach an imaginary deadline and could make a very expensive mistake.

Burrito meant don't spend hours at the salesroom, that bit of the transaction should be 30 minutes. Do spend plenty of time researching before you go so that you know exactly what you want and what's available when you're there.

- Quboid

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Nov 7, 2016, 19:18 Quboid

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 17:53:
how much fun could farming simulator be?

I kinda want to try it now, given the success. It could be the next Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Does it have Spin Tires style physics yet?

- Quboid

41. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2016, 10:43 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Nov 5, 2016, 08:42:
Quboid wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 11:15:
Redmask wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 08:13:
The 13 year tumblr girls are only marginally worse than a pair of liberal men jerking each other off over their moral superiority on the internet. Just you know, for the record and shit.

I'd have to have desperately low standards to get off on feeling morally superior to Cutter.

You've arrived at last.

Oh sorry. I bow to your moral superiority on the internet.

- Quboid

39. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2016, 11:15 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 08:13:
The 13 year tumblr girls are only marginally worse than a pair of liberal men jerking each other off over their moral superiority on the internet. Just you know, for the record and shit.

I'd have to have desperately low standards to get off on feeling morally superior to Cutter.

- Quboid

37. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 23:06 Quboid

I didn't forget, there was just too much stupid to process in one go. And yes, blame is shared so it's not only the father's responsibility. I'd have thought that was obvious but I should know better.

SJW = Social Justice Warrior. Someone who pointlessly argues about social issues on the internet ... would use this to describe other people who pointlessly argue about social issues on the internet.

It was meant as a criticism of overly liberal or progressive ideas, much like calling someone a bleeding heart liberal but (as in this case) it is usually just something for idiots to blame everything on. IMHO these people do exist, but calling them SJWs is just mindless.

- Quboid

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 18:06 Quboid

Dacote wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 12:35:
Beamer wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 07:00:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 00:23:
So, uh, what went down while I was away? Why all the removed comments?

I think I made the mistake of quoting something I should have know better than to quote.
Me too.

I think so. It's rather a shame it was so angry because the stupidity was something to behold. Cutter's cousin went to jail for not paying child support and who does Cutter blame? People who always blame other people rather than take responsibility for their own actions. Seriously. Also, racism. Of course.

- Quboid

5663 Comments. 284 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo