Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5949 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 17:54 Quboid

NKD wrote on May 23, 2017, 15:28:
Getting mad when someone singles out Islam is like getting mad when a fire department singles out a burning house instead of spraying down every house on the block.

That metaphor doesn't work. It would be like getting mad when a fire department singles out the house with the biggest fire and ignores all the other houses on fire, which is an entirely justified criticism.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 13:31 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on May 23, 2017, 13:20:
The thing that drives me crazy is the media gives the attackers exactly what they want. Non-stop coverage. Give me a concise report and then move on, after a couple of hours you can repeat your concise report. You are not helping anyone with literally hours of coverage. You are, if fact, making things worse.

It's really quite shocking:
https://priceonomics.com/our-fixation-on-terrorism/

And that's the relatively sensible news, not some nut on YouTube. It's sort of like news organisations' business models are based based on attracting views, rewarding sensationalism over information.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 11:48 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on May 23, 2017, 11:30:
Desalus wrote on May 23, 2017, 11:18:
bigspender wrote on May 23, 2017, 10:14:
Just dreadful!
People aren't going to tolerate this much longer I suspect, not when their children are the targets.

People with 7th century ideologies don't belong in modern society, and they themselves don't want to live in a modern society. The solution seems pretty straight forward to me.

So what's your straight forward solution?
you just had to ask.

Yeah I wasn't going to touch that with a 40 foot barge pool. People just draw the same conclusions as they did last time something like this happened, but understandably angrier.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 10:34 Quboid

Horrible news, well said Blue.  

News Comments > Steel Division: Normandy 44 Trailer
9. Re: Steel Division: Normandy 44 Trailer May 17, 2017, 19:36 Quboid

Sounds good, thanks NewMaxx.  

News Comments > Steel Division: Normandy 44 Trailer
4. Re: Steel Division: Normandy 44 Trailer May 17, 2017, 13:33 Quboid

NewMaxx wrote on May 17, 2017, 12:29:
I'd be happy to answer any questions people have about the game including tips as the current player base (in beta) is fairly small and Reddit/Steam/Paradox forum activity isn't too heavy beyond the usual balance flame wars (although there are some amazing YouTube channels/videos out there for this game).

What's the difference between this and a WarGame title apart from the setting? Is this effectively WarGame: Normandy?

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2017, 13:33 Quboid

VaranDragon wrote on May 17, 2017, 13:05:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 17, 2017, 12:38:
Beamer wrote on May 17, 2017, 11:54:
However, the more you read, the more he's worse. Not only is he suing her for the ticket, but he apparently started stalking her and her family to get the money back. Being rude is bad, constantly calling the sister of a failed first date, demanding your $17 back, is far worse.
Yep, sounds like he is a creep/douse-bag -- guess she should counter sue. It does not however excuse her impolite behavior.

Who the fuck sues a movie date? For 17$. What kind of man is that? Jesus Christ, if she was being rude, then you tell her she is rude, and you leave. Also KUDOS to the director for the sarcastic comment. That's the most this fucking story deserves. First world problems indeed.

I presume it costs much more than $17 to file the lawsuit so it must be for the principle. It seems incredibly petty but people using their phones in cinemas deserve to be hung, drawn and quartered so ... fair enough.

18. Re: It's a f*ckin emu! May 16, 2017, 16:44 Quboid

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 16, 2017, 15:09:
That video... anybody from the UK here? Can you just randomly call strangers "daft c*nt" in England and not get punched in the face? Or attacked by a raging Emu, for that matter?

It's not an especially harsh swear word, I think it's much more taboo in the USA. I wouldn't say that to a stranger but I wouldn't be bothered by being called it in that sort of non-aggressive context.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2017, 22:45 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on May 13, 2017, 21:36:
Oh please, oh please, oh please.

They nail the problem:
It will require serious commitment to constitutional principle, and courageous willingness to put devotion to the national interest above self-interest and party loyalty, for a Congress of the president’s own party to initiate an impeachment inquiry.

Not going to happen until he's more trouble than he's worth to the Republicans.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization May 12, 2017, 15:19 Quboid

Beamer wrote on May 12, 2017, 11:51:
RedEye9 wrote on May 12, 2017, 11:35:
Or you know, get a real camera.

Why? Cellphone cameras are better than any point and shoot, which they've basically stopped making. So you'd need a $750+ dslr that weighs a ton, requires a lens, requires significant time to learn to use, requires planning, and is a hassle to transfer photos.

Or you can use a device always on you, extremely quick to go from stored away to taking photos, can instantly share wherever you want, and takes photos of almost indistinguishable quality as that dslr in most daily circumstances (e.g., taking a photo of that weird thing you saw and sharing it on social media.)

Outside of professionals, I don't know a single person using a real camera any longer. The inconvenience of them is no longer worth the increased quality in nearly all casual circumstances.

I still do, I take one with me on holidays because you can pry my optical zoom out of my cold, dead hands. I like not having all my eggs in one basket with regards to power too - not having all my chickens in one battery, if you will

My phone's camera does have a lot of features that I'd like my camera to have, like GPS and WiFi transfers, and I don't use my camera enough to make it worth buying a new model. I have wondered if there will be many options when/if I finally do upgrade.

I carry it in a little bag on my belt. That's fine for travelling, not so much for snapping a quick pic on a night out. That's when it's at home and I use my phone's camera.

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2017, 22:39 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on May 9, 2017, 20:40:
jdreyer wrote on May 9, 2017, 18:30:
Comey is out. Very Nixonian.
donny fired the one person who single handedly got him elected.

I wonder who Vladimir is going to put in his place, Michael Flynn maybe?

Comey interfering in the election put a big target on his back and he outlived his usefulness. He played the game of thrones and he lost. Trump firing someone who is investigating him, on the advice of someone who couldn't investigate him because he himself was compromised, is a ballsy move.

Weird how Trump's non-existent Russia ties are causing him so much trouble.

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2017, 12:11 Quboid

BobBob wrote on May 5, 2017, 18:40:
Dear Brits,

Here's a song to celebrate your election results.

Hey it could be worse. These elections aren't as important as next month's and the sooner Labour hit rock bottom, the sooner they can rebuild. Also UKIP got wiped out, hopefully they'll go away permanently now that they got their Brexit.

The Conservatives will win the General Election too. There's basically no opponent, the only other half-competent party is the SNP and they're only in Scotland. There are no parties I like who can actually achieve anything, I just hope the Liberal Democrats will gain enough to return to being vaguely relevant.

I'm in Northern Ireland, we have our own parties and our own issues that the rest of the UK wants little to do with and I don't blame them.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 5, 2017, 19:42 Quboid

LittleMe wrote on May 5, 2017, 18:17:
If you're expecting the government to help keep your internet activities private..... Just don't. They don't love you. Politicians want power and money and fame. Encrypt your traffic with a vpn. Of course then a vpn provider could sell the data too. Be wary of what you do. If someone really wants traffic data they can probably get it. It's a public network. Expect an ongoing struggle for privacy. Browser plug ins are helping a lot.

The government will never be anything like adequate for proper privacy, but we should take democratic measures as well as our own technical measures. Make this way of business as difficult and unprofitable as possible. Politicians want reelected, that means people need to give a shit.

News Comments > etc., etc.
22. Re: etc., etc. Apr 29, 2017, 14:13 Quboid

Asmodai wrote on Apr 29, 2017, 10:07:
5 years to make 5 hours of content...

/golfclap

In 2015, it was estimated that she already raised $440,000 for tropes, which means that it cost $1466 bucks odd a minute ignoring any funding after that point (couldn't find an accurate total figure).

When you look at channels like Jimquisition/Cynical Brit etc, in the same period of time, these people have churned out hundreds of hours of content completely free of charge. Hell, Blue will have spent more time maintaining this site in the last 5 years, I'd hazard a guess he didn't make 88 grand a year from Bluesnews revenue (might be completely off base of course but I sincerely doubt it).

People can line up to defend her as much as they like over the content (and while I think she's a professional victim, hack and a flagrant bullshit artist, there are a couple of points that are relevant), but the financials and the complete disregard for fulfilling her promise to her backers whenever it got in the way of running off to play up her victim status or show up for paid appearances was and will always be complete bullshit.

This is a whole lot of apples versus oranges.

The content of the videos is completely different, most of Jim Sterling's content is him talking over gameplay footage. Hollywood spends $100M and only gets 2 hours of content.

Tropes vs. Women in Video Games is "completely free of charge" as well. They raise money primarily on Patreon, the same place Jim Sterling is currently making $144k a year.

What promise did they not fulfil?

Could you give a source for that $440,000 claim? They received $440k in donations in 2014, which is a completely different thing.

News Comments > etc., etc.
20. Re: etc., etc. Apr 28, 2017, 15:19 Quboid

There are secure people who disagree with her, but I think it has a lot to do with insecurity in most of her critics. There are many people who say they disagree with her but fail to make any actual points, or make points that demonstrate that they don't actually know what she is saying.

Most of what I've seen or heard about her comes from Bluesnews and the majority of complaints against her here have been people complaining that she uses examples to illustrate her point or that she - the head of a charity - does fundraising. This nonsense is insecure little children who can't handle criticism of their hobby, who can't handle criticism of themselves, and who have no sense of perspective (plus the misogynists, and if you think sexism has nothing do with the reaction I've got a bridge to sell you). There were people who thought she's the next Jack Thompson; that's far from the worst but it's the most illustrative of how demented these people are - to them, someone who records their opinion and posts it to YouTube is the same as the person who tried to have an entire medium censored.

The industry is more progressive now than 5 years ago, but that's when she started and she has sure as hell spurred plenty of debate. If only secure people disagreed with her, she would have faded into irrelevance (like in the movie industry, apparently) so I suppose she should share credit with the people who would be appalled at the idea she deserves any credit.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2017, 15:46.

55. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2017, 17:11 Quboid

No Man's Sky too, and I think he said afterwards that nobody could have seen that coming. He seems patient and well-meaning but much too trusting. Maybe too patient as well, given that "the Bible says the Bible's true" posts aren't going to convert anyone here.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2017, 16:45 Quboid

BobBob wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 15:34:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 14:38:
Gerrymandering Has a Solution After All—It's Called Math.

I heard about this the other day on some radio show. Good stuff. Gerrymandering is a huge issue, as Republicans control the house and senate despite voters actually casting more votes for Dem candidates.

We solved it. Thumbsup

Interesting, thanks for the link. Do you think it works?

This seems like a big problem in the US but it's like money in politics - how do you fix something when the people with the power to change it are the people who benefit? Voter suppression too, Republicans love lying about illegal votes so that they can justify deliberately demonising, disenfranchising, and discriminating against minorities.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2017, 11:40 Quboid

.watch a worth definitely ,excellent is Memento  

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Apr 24, 2017, 23:47 Quboid

Blue wrote on Apr 24, 2017, 22:30:
Quboid wrote on Apr 24, 2017, 20:51:
In Bruce Springsteen's song My Hometown, what is a "light"? A traffic light, a bonfire, some New Jersey thing?

Two cars at a light on a Saturday night in the back seat there was a gun
Words were passed in a shotgun blast
Troubled times had come
To my hometown

Traffic light. Don't know if it's regional, but they're just called lights around here in that context.

Thanks. I'm used to "the lights" referring to the junction but not "light" singular for a traffic light so I was wondering if this was some old American thing like drive-in theatres. I assume all you guys grew up like in Porky's until the 80's.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Apr 24, 2017, 20:51 Quboid

In Bruce Springsteen's song My Hometown, what is a "light"? A traffic light, a bonfire, some New Jersey thing?

Two cars at a light on a Saturday night in the back seat there was a gun
Words were passed in a shotgun blast
Troubled times had come
To my hometown

5949 Comments. 298 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo