Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 6207 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2018, 12:50 Quboid

I call bullshit, Blue watched the finale. He said it should be called Lovers.

Because heaven forbid I actually remember useful stuff...

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadow of War Dropping Microtransactions
1. Re: Shadow of War Dropping Microtransactions Apr 2, 2018, 21:18 Quboid

Huh. This sounds really good. What's the catch?

Simply being aware that they are available for purchase reduces the immersion in the world

Yes!!!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Released
59. Re: Far Cry 5 Released Mar 30, 2018, 18:20 Quboid

Always check your parcel before accepting delivery!

Going to Falls End seems a bit better, although it's still very busy. Boomer is at the first place between the starting island and Falls End, in a mission that I unwittingly triggered just by shooting apparently random baddies, so that's definitely a deliberate map design thing. Same with Dogmeat in FO4.

56. Re: Far Cry 5 Released Mar 29, 2018, 08:16 Quboid

I haven't been to Falls End. I picked a direction at random so I've been in Faith's territory. I haven't met Boomer either, who a lot of players seem to like (although I don't think I've ever liked an AI companion). I'll head that way next.  

52. Re: Far Cry 5 Released Mar 28, 2018, 21:58 Quboid

Anyone else underwhelmed? I think there's way too much going on, I can't do anything without another damn patrol or animal attacking me. When I try to ambush a supply truck there will probably be a patrol on top of me before I've cleaned up. And another patrol before I've dispatched them. Then a cougar appears and now I'm out of ammo.

As well as being too busy, this breaks the atmosphere. It doesn't feel like a remote valley separated from the rest of the country, it's a hive of population with an army of thousands roaming around. There must be a huge Eden's Gate apartment complex somewhere I haven't found yet.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Reviews
71. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 27, 2018, 18:16 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 17:48:
I actually enjoyed the radio towers. I think. I may have gotten tired by the end, but think I lked them the whole way through.

Yes, they were a good idea that was rather run into the ground. A nice change of pace, a little platforming section amidst the mayhem. If it hadn't also been in other Ubisoft games (I think Watch Dogs and Ass Creed both had their own versions) then it could have been in FC5 but it became a Ubisoft: The Openworld Game feature.

68. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 27, 2018, 17:31 Quboid

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 17:02:
Beamer wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 13:14:
Primalchrome wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 11:30:
Loved the original Far Cry. Loved Far Cry 3. Looks like I have to follow the law of Star Trek Movies and get Far Cry 5 since it's an odd number as well....

I thought 4 was much improved over 3, and I loved 3.

I agree. I've played them all they just keep getting better. I love the way they dropped the towers and quest markers in 5. I much rather have an exploration experience with "encounters"

That gave me a chuckle. I saw the radio tower on Dutch's island, oh boy here we go again. Then soon after "Now I know what you're thinking, but I'm not gonna send you up radio towers all over the place". It's a bit damning that it's their own cliche that they're poking fun at but at least they seem to be listening.

I preferred FC3 to FC4 because the map was more open and I could drive or fly around at high speed. FC2 was the most interesting, but had so many annoying little design decisions that I never felt interested in re-playing it.

26. Re: Far Cry 5 Released Mar 27, 2018, 14:17 Quboid

Alamar wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 11:32:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 11:13:
Darks wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 10:41:
Everything maxed out running smooth on a 28 inch 4K Samsung monitor at 3840 x 2160 held steady at 60 FPS and I'm behind a few version on drivers too.
Don't you just love it when someone posts fps and "everything maxed" but fails to mention system specs.

The PC Games (I think) review guy said he had a 980 (and the other guy a 1070) and was getting a solid 60 fps, which he found surprising, with everything at ultra minus an option or two... But didn't mention 4K, so I assume 1080p... Not sure why you'd be surprised a 980 or 1070 would run well enough at 1080 though...

I'm the other guy - my 1070 is running it at 1440p. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it runs compared to the problems I had with FC4 and Wildlands at launch. It's not unexpectedly good performance, it's just not as buggy as I had expected the launch version to be.

53. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 27, 2018, 00:01 Quboid

DangerDog wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 23:56:
So GMG no longer hands out uplay keys?

Correct. I was speaking figuratively, I bought it on GMG and connected the purchase to Uplay "with a click of a button".

It runs well. 1440p, ultra graphics (except for AA), hitting 60 FPS most of the time on a Geforce 1070. It looks great too. It's very, very Far Cry. If you've played FC3 or FC4, you know what to expect.

There's no 21:9 option available for me, but I don't have an ultra-wide monitor so maybe it's different. Mind you, I could select other aspect ratios as well as my native 16:9 so my guess is that 21:9 players are out of luck. But that's a guess.

50. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 26, 2018, 22:11 Quboid

This has unlocked for me, with a Uplay key from GMG. First impression (of the menu) - I do like graphics settings with previews that show exactly what everything does. Wildlands has the same, rare kudos to Ubisoft on this one. FOV up to 120 too, good.  

31. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 26, 2018, 17:26 Quboid

Keilun wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 17:13:
ItBurn wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 13:16:
The reviews on metacritic are all over the place. There's a 50% and a 100% and a lot of 60%s and a lot of 80%s. Reviews seem to say that the game is too similar to the previous entries and that people are burned out, but the game is still of a high quality and fun.

A good portion of those poor reviews' main criticisms are for wasting this opportunity to make a meaningful social commentary on the divisive topics boiling over in society today.

I'm perfectly fine with my games leaving the politicking at the door. Not all games need to spew political rhetoric just because they have the platform to do so. Certainly, I won't enjoy the game any less if they don't.

Anyone who has played Far Cry before and expected any meaningful social commentary is a fool. FC4 has its moments (trying to pick from 2 extremes, each arguably worse than who you're replacing) but it never went beyond big, dumb stereotypes - and it was better for it. I don't mind social commentary in games, but Far Cry isn't the place for the nuance this would need.

4. Re: Best fake soccer dive (fall) to draw a winning penalty shot. Mar 23, 2018, 13:50 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 12:47:
Does intent matter? Because he certainly TRIED to commit the foul, he just missed. You see this in all the contact sports, it is not unique to soccer. It's just there is so much more soccer played than the other sports there are plenty of examples...

By the rules, yes, an attempt to kick or trip an opponent is a foul. In practise, a lazy swipe by an exhausted player (this was at the end of the match) wouldn't be penalised. It would have to be really unambiguous for the referee to give anything.

Falling with your ribs landing on the ball can really hurt. I hope it did.

More importantly, why do people talk about Oscars when they see an obvious dive? Shouldn't they be for the more convincing ones? Asking the big questions here...

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
27. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 21, 2018, 11:28 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 21:08:
Your link isn't linking. Either way, I feel occupied by Merkel. That's not imaginary Entire generation of children doesn't know other chancellor than Merkel now. By the end these children will leave regular school.

I would rather this country moves forward than stagnate to death by Merkels "sitting out problems till they can't be ignored" strategy. If you can even call this a strategy. I call it lack of vision.

Ooops, fixed. It's an article from TheOnion from 15 years ago, breaking down the pro/anti Iraq war arguments. It's stuck with me because it points out that invading Iraq will cause bigger problems in 15 years time. More the fault of the UK and US than western Civilisation as a whole.

I don't know German politics but Merkel seems to have been around for ages. No term limits?

24. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 20, 2018, 14:04 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 09:18:
Quboid wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 02:07:
Oh, why's that?
Are you really responding so someone that thinks refugees are fleeing their war-torn countries just for the "consequence free raping and pillaging" plus "the free stuff" they'll get in their new home.
You'd be better off using an ice-pick to remove ear wax.

Yes, of course! I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation if we just hear him out.

22. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 20, 2018, 02:07 Quboid

Oh, why's that?  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 18:23 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 12:56:
Pigeon wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 21:30:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 17:57:
If the prezident has nothing to hide wouldn't it be smart to let the Mueller investigation run it's course.

It would be, but it takes a very stable genius to fire him via twitter and accuse Mueller of being a democrat saboteur, despite him being a life long Republican. It's worked with two FBI agents already, might as well load up the bases.
‘If you have an innocent client … act like it’: GOP Rep. Trey Gowdy’s on-point rebuke of tRump’s lawyer

That's good to read. There may well be a Saturday Night Massacre and a lot of Republicans who have been just trying to get by without being dragged into a scandal will have to pick a side in a defining moment for American politics.

20. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 19, 2018, 18:11 Quboid

DangerDog wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 03:41:
Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 19:32:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 18:48:
A far simpler question could be asked

Is Russia really the enemy or is someone trying to sabotage Russian <-> West relations

And who'd gain from this, because it sure as hell isn't Russia nor the West.

Russian politicians look good to their people in the short term. Long term, it helps Russian defence/expansion. I've seen people say NATO should be disbanded because Europe has *already* been invaded, that's hugely beneficial to any Russian hawks who want to nibble away at more of Ukraine. Also just revenge, supposedly Putin was pissed about the Panama Papers revealing his secrets.

Putin doesn't need to lift a finger to take down NATO countries, they're doing a fine job of destroying themselves.

But I'm holding out hope that the refugees will integrate into western culture, they just need to be treated with kindness and love.

We're really not. Europe's problem is that the global financial crisis has been used by right-wing agitators to further their own goals by blaming the economic impact problems on refugees, coupled with a temporary refugee crisis (of our own making). Europe's problem is a damaging reactions to largely imaginary problems.

The notion that we have already been invaded is an extreme example of an imaginary problem. You're one person who's made this claim - how literally did you mean this? I presume you don't actually think I'm living in occupied territory without noticing it, but there's no way that's an exaggeration of something with any semblance of reality. Western Europe remains one of the best, safest places to live anywhere in the world at any time in history.

The Russian government benefits from undermining this and undermining NATO. Right-wing American pundits benefit from undermining this as western Europe keeps proving them wrong on subjects like gun control, public healthcare, ultimately immigration. These people benefit from lying to you and manipulating you.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2018, 11:22.

12. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 18, 2018, 19:32 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 18:48:
A far simpler question could be asked

Is Russia really the enemy or is someone trying to sabotage Russian <-> West relations

And who'd gain from this, because it sure as hell isn't Russia nor the West.

Russian politicians look good to their people in the short term. Long term, it helps Russian defence/expansion. I've seen people say NATO should be disbanded because Europe has *already* been invaded, that's hugely beneficial to any Russian hawks who want to nibble away at more of Ukraine. Also just revenge, supposedly Putin was pissed about the Panama Papers revealing his secrets.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2018, 19:26 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 19:22:
Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 19:08:
It was not green, however, as there are some lines I just won't cross.

Ireland thanks you.
Green beer makes me sick and this is why.

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Yep, sickening.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2018, 19:08 Quboid

It was not green, however, as there are some lines I just won't cross.

Ireland thanks you.

6207 Comments. 311 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo