Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 6089 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2017, 12:08 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:41:
What said legislation will do is codify federal apathy into law, ensuring that the FCC can't revisit the issue down the road.

Really? And how would they do that exactly? Laws are made by congress and can be changed, amended, or killed outright by Congress as well. This kind of outright lying and editorializing is why so many people don't trust news anymore. Start reporting it, stop creating it.

Right, by congress. Congress can revisit the issue, the FCC can't.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Launches
57. Re: removed Nov 17, 2017, 18:30 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:38:
NKD wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:18:
Look at these REMOVED posts. Special snowflake DangerDog can't handle his opinion being criticised and has to get it removed. Just like his hero Donald Trump. Grow a pair, Cletus.

People could also express an opinion without breaking Blue's extremely lenient rules. Just saying...

I didn't know Blue would remove posts if I felt someone was criticising me. Can anyone get this service, or is it just Trump supporters? Rolleyes

Maybe your post getting removed was your fault, NKD. Not DangerDog's, not Blue's - and I don't say that out of any love for DD's paranoid fantasies.

(Oh, ninja'd. That's what happens when you stop for a sandwich half way through your post )

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
18. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 20:11 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 09:37:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 09:25:
Upgrading mobo/cpu/ram seems less and less appealing with these prices. My i5-2600k OC to 4.3 is still chugging along just fine.
I'll probably get a new video card next year though the 970 is showing it's age in some games.
Not planning to jump on the 4k bandwagon just yet. I think we still have a bit of time before games catch up to that resolution in terms of optimization.

What games does your 970 struggle with in 1080p?
I bought mine, wow, actually about 2 years ago. I kept thinking it was last winter. Cost $370, and I knew I was buying at the tail end of its cycle and therefore overpaying, but it's still been serving me pretty well. Guess I haven't bought any of the big games of the past year, though

I have an Intel i7 3750K, 24GB RAM, and a Geforce 1070, I get about 20 FPS in Cities Skylines and it drops to single figures when playing a 1080p60 YouTube video on my second monitor. It's slow because I'm running approximately 100 mods and 2000 assets (extra buildings, trees, vehicles, etc) from the Steam Workshop.

I'm actually playing at 5K (5120x2577) down-scaled to 1440p, because it's so utterly CPU limited that my graphics card is twiddling its thumbs - running it at 1080 would be no faster, just uglier. CSL needs good AA.

I'm upgrading to an Intel i7-8700K with 32GB so hopefully I'll regularly hit 30FPS (and have the RAM to download another 1000 assets). At least the extra cores should help stop videos from slowing things. I'd probably go with an AMD chip if I didn't luck out with an opportunity to get an Intel chip relatively cheap via my work.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2017, 20:38.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana
15. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 17:04 Quboid

Good luck with that, Creston. The chances of this not being part of their crafting system are about zero.

I'm looking forward to this. All indications are that they're following the same formula again which is a shame but at least it's a good formula. As far as Generic Ubisoft Open World games goes, I think it's comfortably the best series.

Is that a Vaas bobble-head? I presume he won't be in-game but Willis will probably show up.

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 14, 2017, 22:51 Quboid

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 22:43:
Most likely yes.

Ouch.

This is more like the old prices, I'm very tempted to jump on that (for an i7 8700K). Strange that it's discounted.

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 14, 2017, 22:39 Quboid

Oh, thanks. I can't blame manufacturers for wanting to make a enough money to stay in business. I wish I'd ordered a month ago and saved £50 (on 32GB DDR4 3Ghz), but I didn't expect prices to go up.

Is it likely to continue to go up?

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 14, 2017, 21:05 Quboid

silicon costs continue to soar

Is that why RAM is so damn expensive? Every time I check it seems to have gone up in price again.

News Comments > Another Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Follow-up
34. Re: Another Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Follow-up Nov 14, 2017, 21:01 Quboid

NKD wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 20:23:
Quboid wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 20:06:
OldDirtyEwok wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 10:26:
The uproar over this is a bit ridiculous...I mean even a shitty loot system is better than spending 70$ on a season pass where the DLCs divide the player base.

I've played the beta plus the 10h trial and I don't think it's as bad as people say...again tho, I'm comparing this versus a season pass.

I'd much rather they put in a season pass than put in gambling, but it's not an either/or situation. They both suck.

Is this gambling? I thought this was just a grinding system.

I thought you could buy loot-boxes to have a chance of boosting your progress, which the grinding system is designed to encourage people to use. Am I wrong? Is it 'just' microtransactions?

Although not as bad as gambling, microtransactions are worse than season passes. They're more insidious, making question every balance decision the designers made.

News Comments > Another Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Follow-up
31. Re: Another Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Follow-up Nov 14, 2017, 20:06 Quboid

OldDirtyEwok wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 10:26:
The uproar over this is a bit ridiculous...I mean even a shitty loot system is better than spending 70$ on a season pass where the DLCs divide the player base.

I've played the beta plus the 10h trial and I don't think it's as bad as people say...again tho, I'm comparing this versus a season pass.

I'd much rather they put in a season pass than put in gambling, but it's not an either/or situation. They both suck.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2017, 10:44 Quboid

Creston wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 08:46:
necrosis wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 21:34:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 16:20:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 14:14:
There is no excuse for using twitter as a means of communication, ever.

On the one hand, this x 1000.

On the other hand, what's the alternative?
Make a real fucking blog.

Or a .plan file!

And knock James Monroe off the front page? It hasn't even been 12 years yet, give people a chance to see it!

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Nov 12, 2017, 14:46 Quboid

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 14:07:
Cool, but it doesn't diminish the fact that Borderlands 2 was one of the grindiest games ever.

It does for me, a bit. Even padding the game's length isn't as bad as a cynical attempt to extract more money from me.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Nov 12, 2017, 13:42 Quboid

In the case where "grinding" is, well, playing the game and in the case where the player does not want to, well, play the game but doesn't want to pay cash to skip playing the game, I recommend considering another choice: don't play the game.

Sure, but if a game is excellent in most ways but has long, repetitive sections that affect the pacing and can be skipped for cash, don't expect people to be happy or to admire your artistic integrity. Especially if you've spent months telling everyone how wonderful your game is and not made the bullshit clear until after people spend their cash.

I do broadly agree with him, which isn't something I often say about Randy Pitchford.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
62. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 21:50 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 20:56:
And here's the kicker.

dRumpf believes the word of a KGB agent trained in the art of deception and continues to refuse to believe the CIA.

Almost at 2 million; https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
donny, please read the Constitution

FBI: lying
CIA: lying
NSA: lying
Comey: lying
Clapper: lying
Hillary: lying
Obama: lying
Bush Jr: lying
Bush Sr: lying
Papadopoulos: lying
Media: lying
Democrats: lying
Corker: lying
McCain: lying
Puerto Rico: lying
Gold Star widow: lying
Scientists: lying
Sexual assault accusers: lying
Putin: not lying

What a farce.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 11, 2017, 21:30 Quboid

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 21:08:
Anyone here use Alibaba? I've looked in to it but most things I want say they'll take, like, 40 - 60 days to arrive.

It's never occurred to me. Are there sellers outside of China? I guess it could be cheap if you're not in a hurry.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 10, 2017, 22:45 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 21:55:
Squirmer wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 21:52:
He admitted the accusations are true...
And with an honest heartfelt apology that any self respecting hypocritical politician should study like the bible.
CK's statement here http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/10/entertainment/louis-ck-full-statement/index.html

It does seem heartfelt, unlike statements like Spacey's blatant cynicism. Some people have criticised it but it seems like nit-picking (he doesn't explicitly say sorry, but the tone is clear; he talks about being admired a lot, but abuse of power is the subject).

I'd like to separate the art from the artist but that's tough. Celebrities being in the news - for good or bad - distracts from their performance but even after this isn't fresh in the mind some of his material has changed context.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 22:24 Quboid

Robots that don't go on strike.

Yet.

News Comments > HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition
12. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 7, 2017, 19:11 Quboid

MT Silver wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 18:42:
Well yes. You can always just blast your way through if you get frustrated. That's for weaklings though. These aren't action games. They're more like puzzle games, where the joy comes from figuring out how to perfectly kill someone without getting caught, or doing it in some bizarre hilarious way.

I didn't have much luck blasting my way out of trouble. Maybe if there were a couple of enemies nearby, but if a lot got alerted then I'd be done.

I liked old Hitman games and hated Absolution. I was pleasantly surprised by Hitman 2016, it's a good addition to the series. As mentioned before, turn off Opportunities to avoid having the game hold your hand - the scripted kills still feel a bit contrived but no more than they did in the old, good Hitman games.

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 2, 2017, 17:52 Quboid

Bard wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 17:17:
IT security professionals know this whole Russia Hacked narrative is bollocks.

[Citation needed]

"their editorial team was trending fake news that attacked Trump from a shady PR firm linked to Hillary."

Oh, you're one of those. Yes, reality is ever so biased against poor little Trump.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Apple CEO Tim Cook says social media is being used to manipulate and divide us. Nov 2, 2017, 09:22 Quboid

MajorD wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 20:53:
Because 'social media' has perpetuated narcissism to absurd levels, with everyone in their own little worlds where you can't even look at the wrong without 'offending' them!

*cough*NFLboycott*cough*

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 1, 2017, 12:07 Quboid

Darks wrote on Nov 1, 2017, 10:44:
The Movie industry is getting out of control with their crying over copy writes.

This screams of intimidation to the max, I hope the court slam CBS for this. This is nothing more then a fair use of the IP. Especially one thats as old as this one is.

Hopefully, it's a pretty blatant attempt to punish someone for standing up for their rights. Using stills from a TV show is fair use, using photographs from a photographer isn't.

6089 Comments. 305 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo