Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5469 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2016, 13:29 Quboid

Creston wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 13:06:
Man, I haven't heard the term LPB in a loooooooooooooong time.

Happy Birthday, Quake!

Knowing this is definitely a sign of old age. Like knowing what the "save" icon represents.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2016, 10:17 Quboid

nin wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 09:54:
Quake: The game that made everyone guy buy a pentium, and then a card that ran glide...

Also...

edit:
CBS Sets Fall 2016 Premiere Dates.

Slow day?

I've just realised that I have never listened to the music from either Quake or the original Doom. Not the soundtracks, not in-game. I should really do something about that.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Fools and their money Jun 21, 2016, 23:21 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 22:16:
In other news, bitcoin was spotted driving around in a 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO

I wonder what it's like to drive that. Shameless segue: I've been driving a 1972 Triumph GT6 (exactly like this but with the wheel on the other side, and with more rust) a bit recently. It's fun when you've got a clear road but it's quite a lot of work in heavy traffic, driving quickly is easier (relatively quick - it's slower than most vehicles).

It looks and sounds cool, so everyone knows I have a huge penis. Right?

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jun 21, 2016, 22:18 Quboid

Anyone watching the Copa America? It's getting a little Messi for the US men's soccer team.

Has Archer been good recently? I saw the episodes back when they were called ISIS but haven't seen after season ... 4? It ended in space, verging on jumping the shark.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jun 21, 2016, 16:43 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 15:52:
Supercell's operating income last year was about 1 billion, btw. And there's your valuation.

Not if mobile developers continue to be one-hit wonders; if that's the case then Supercell have peaked. I am certainly no expert but I haven't heard of any of their other games.

Tencent now own the 2 highest grossing games of 2015, according to an article linked near the bottom of this one.

- Quboid

News Comments > DOOM Demo Extended
30. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 21, 2016, 16:19 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 15:39:
El Pit wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 15:31:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 15:27:
Alamar wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 14:01:
Almost good enough... What's the point of having a limited time demo, on a game that's already complete?

When it's just like every other demo that exists forever, I'll consider trying it, at which point, they might even make another sale... Otherwise, I'll throw it on isthereanydeal.com and pick it up in 2-3 years... Also note, I don't care about the MP, so there's no rush to get in on that action...

That will show em. I'm sure id is quaking in their boots. (see what I did there)

You mean id is doomed?

Despite his rage, or due to it, it's not all that keen for his money. Also, Wolfenstein Dangerous Dave.

That's so Raven.

- Quboid

News Comments > Offworld Trading Company Toolkit DLC
5. Re: Offworld Trading Company Toolkit DLC Jun 21, 2016, 15:41 Quboid

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 20:26:
5 bucks for a fucking map editor?!?

We get to pay to make their content for them. Thank you Stardock!

- Quboid

News Comments > Free Europa Universalis IV Music DLC
4. Re: Free Europa Universalis IV Music DLC Jun 21, 2016, 13:41 Quboid

I wonder why Stellaris is selling so well. Is it PDS grand strategy fans who are fed up with samey historical games, or a new audience?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Civilization VI's Unstacked Cities
18. Re: Civilization VI's Unstacked Cities Jun 21, 2016, 13:26 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 12:14:
Quboid wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 12:10:
I heard somewhere - possibly a Quill18 video - that you won't build roads/etc anymore. They are placed automatically, I think based on trade routes. I'll see how it works out, but this is one change I'm not happy about.
The developer was talking about this in their E3 on stage interview/gameplay video.
Just out of curiosity why does this change bother you?

I hadn't seen that, thanks for the link.

I see Civilization as a fundamentally constructive game, even though combat is a large part of it. Placing roads is one part of constructing my nation. Unstacked cities will more than make up for this, especially as:
1) There's typically one route that is best, so creativity is limited anyway
2) Turns out, you can build your own roads later

- Quboid

16. Re: Civilization VI's Unstacked Cities Jun 21, 2016, 12:10 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 09:30:
Numinar wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 09:26:
It's an area that needs to be messed with, even if it already worked ok previously just to mix up the visuals a little. Reduce worker micro, make terrain look more varied. Civ Rev, IV and V all visualize city improvements well, but it doesn't stop the rest of the world from looking like cut and paste blandness. (At least the rail and road spam from II has yet to return).

To be fair, from the air, everything in the world does seem to be copy and paste blandness within any given region.

If the maps are of any tangible size there will definitely be railroad (or whatever replaces it) spam.. how else to move stuff with the 1 unit rule without going insane?

I heard somewhere - possibly a Quill18 video - that you won't build roads/etc anymore. They are placed automatically, I think based on trade routes. I'll see how it works out, but this is one change I'm not happy about.

- Quboid

News Comments > DOOM Demo Extended
13. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 21, 2016, 11:15 Quboid

I've read studies that confirm that demos do hurt sales, as well as being an expensive way to get publicity. There is an element that people are happy just playing the demo but it was more about people finding that the game just isn't what they hoped - it's a lot easier to make a game sound amazing on paper.

On the other hand, these studies were very general. I think there are cases were a demo could be beneficial and Doom is such a case. Plenty of us were pretty fed up with the FPS genre and had low expectations for another reboot, not helped by a generally badly received multiplayer beta. The demo will help word of mouth spread too.

Doom is mixed for me. I was talked into the Glory Kill system on paper (i.e. by people on here) but after trying the demo, I don't like that feature. Otherwise it is excellent. The demo has made me more likely to buy it.

- Quboid

11. Re: Civilization VI's Unstacked Cities Jun 21, 2016, 09:04 Quboid

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 05:18:
Kosumo wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 05:03:
What is your problem with 'streamlining'? Do you not believe that they can change things for the best?

If you are not keen on Civ 6 you can keep playing Civ 5 or 4 or 3 and be happy.

You make a lot of assumptions there. About my motives and about the motives of the developers. I asked a few questions and you were good enough to answer them, thank you. As for 'streamlining', its all the rage and has been since the end of the 90s. Look how it turned out in nearly every single game ever produced since 2001. Yeah, so while there may be exceptions, my answer to your question is, NO, I don't really believe that they can change things for the best, not if they keep 'streamlining' and taking away game mechanics from games in general, and probably not with Civ VI in particular.

So Kosumo's assumptions were correct? They have changed one unit and completely changed how cities work, this does not look at all streamlined to me.

I'd also assume that they've worked on pillaging and AI so it works with their new cities. I know that the military district can defend its self like old 1-tile cities can.

- Quboid

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2016, 15:14 Quboid

I've noticed that in the last 5 years, the number of driving instructors who advertise automatic gearboxes on their cars has gone from almost none to about half. It looks like the British Isles is finally embracing automatic gearboxes. The shifter in that Jeep looks a bit awkward, I could see myself making this sort of mistake.

I've only ever driven manual, but then 99% of my driving has been in cars older than I am.

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.4
97. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 19, 2016, 10:26 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 09:53:
Thanks for the assist.

Yeah, I could have phrased that better ... I wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped

- Quboid

95. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 19, 2016, 09:29 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 12:42:
Quboid wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 09:19:
Poor Mr. Tact. It's not a complicated concept; 1. you did something stupid, 2. you took steps to repair the situation, ergo you came to your senses. Congratulations on step 2.
Er, isn't that exactly what I said?

Yes, I was hoping a different phrasing would jog RedEye9 into getting it.

- Quboid

90. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 18, 2016, 09:19 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 02:13:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 19:20:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 18:46:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 15:42:
Congratulating someone for spending a thousand dollars and wanting it back. Got it. I came to my senses and understand the concept now. Your right it was not that difficult, thanks for helping me through this senseless period of my life.
Not so obvious to some, apparently. Congratulations on getting it wrong, again. I was not congratulating him for spending a thousand dollars and wanting it back. I was congratulating him for regaining his common sense, which if had been in place previously, would have prevented him from spending $1,000.
Once again your right it was not that difficult, thanks for helping me through this senseless period of my life.

You two have engaged in dangerous levels of crazy talk.

Poor Mr. Tact. It's not a complicated concept; 1. you did something stupid, 2. you took steps to repair the situation, ergo you came to your senses. Congratulations on step 2.

- Quboid

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Win10 Exclusivity is 90 Days
30. Re: Windows 10 is worse than everybody thinks Jun 17, 2016, 16:52 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 16:45:
wtf_man wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 16:08:
Razumen wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 12:11:
Windows 10 isn't as nearly bad as people here make it out to be anyways.

Oh Really?

Well Windows 10 is fine if you ignore all that and the ugly icons, the crappy Edge browser, the malware style of forcing you to upgrade... etc etc etc

Imagine having to ignore the browser that comes with Windows. Such a hardship, and so unexpected.

- Quboid

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Win10 Exclusivity is 90 Days
23. Re: Dead Rising 4 Win10 Exclusivity is 90 Days Jun 17, 2016, 15:15 Quboid

Tachikoma wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 15:05:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 14:13:
You also realize the MS are just being assholes and trying to force people to adopt Win 10, and this is another pin in the voodoo doll, right?

Didn`t they try to do the same with some games for Vista and/or DX10/11? Not saying it`s a good thing - and it will be a long time, if ever, when I upgrade, but it`s not exactly a new tactic.

I keep thinking I`d like to play the first Dead Rising again. Had it on Xb when it first came out but hated didn`t understand its structure (timed quests etc). Now that I`ve been rebooted with a roguelike mindset, it all starts making sense. Play for high score, not to save everybody.

DirectX 10 was Vista and newer, like DX12 is Win10 and newer.

I don't have a problem with this, there are valid technical reasons for only supporting an OS which was developed with it in mind. Valid business reasons too, I don't expect them to add features to encourage people to not upgrade.

This timed exclusive bothers me more than if it was DX12 because then at least they're embracing new technology. As is, they're just inconveniencing potential customers.

- Quboid

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2016, 11:02 Quboid

That elevator would give me claustrophobia. At a guess the building was built long before lifts were commonplace so they added one in the only space they had remaining when renovating it into a hotel/whatever. Cheap hotels in central Amsterdam have small elevators and stairs too.  

- Quboid

78. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 16, 2016, 15:19 Quboid

Comet wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 04:33:
donate/invest

purchase/pre-order

- Quboid

5469 Comments. 274 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo