Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5566 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 1, 2016, 13:41 Quboid

Is there anybody who cares about a lack of McGuffin or story line? That's certainly not what I mean by an apparent lack of content or things to do.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
224. Re: bring on the Store Fronts and easy downloads Jul 31, 2016, 18:54 Quboid

You want more markets but consider fewer launchers to be more important.
We want fewer launchers but consider more markets to be more important.

No one is in denial, we just have different opinions. I think we want the same stuff, it's just our priorities which differ.

- Quboid

217. Re: bring on the Store Fronts and easy downloads Jul 31, 2016, 02:19 Quboid

Wait, there are people who still close their browser before gaming? I haven't done that for a decade. I often have 1080p/60 FPS video playing in Chrome on another monitor while running an intensive game and I don't have a particularly high end system.

A smaller footprint is better but RAM is there to be used and performance isn't affected unless you run out and ... is that still a thing that happens? I've fought with bootdiscs and autoexec.bat to try to eek a double-figure framerate out of Quake. I'm not pleased to waste 650MB or whatever but I am pleased to not need to give a crap anymore.

- Quboid

News Comments > Farming Simulator 17 Trailer
16. Re: Farming Simulator 17 Trailer Jul 30, 2016, 17:12 Quboid

Rigs wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 09:20:
Quboid wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 09:26:
Rigs wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 08:58:
and noticing they made a point of including the new female farmer because feminism...

They probably made a point of including her because it's a video about a new version of their game, they're probably going to feature new stuff - but more significantly, your tone seems to be dismissive of feminism yet if "because feminism" is the reason why games don't ignore women's existence then feminism in video games is very important.

Cool your jets, mate...I was just channeling my inner John Oliver, not making a quasi-political statement about the depiction of the opposite sex in video games. My 'dismissive tone' was on purpose, not a declaration of personal opinion and/or feeling...we don't need to start putting formal disclaimers in our forum signatures, I hope... Inquisitive

=-Rigs-=

Sorry, I shouldn't have been snippy. I assumed you were doing that thing where someone assumes every female/minority is a token character and then complains about token characters as if their own attitude didn't suggest under-representation.

Bit ironic that Redface

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2016, 18:33.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
7. Re: Saturday Interviews Jul 30, 2016, 16:27 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 16:17:
Quboid wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 14:10:
It's not friends who are the problem, it's the people who don't realise that you're a human being with feelings and stuff.

But that isn't ageism of the internet.. that's assholes in real life being assholes on the internet.

Oh yes, I absolutely agree. Pretty much every problem on the internet is assholes in real life being assholes on the internet. There's just more opportunities to communicate with people with pseudo anonymity online.

It would be absolutely bizarre if there wasn't ageism on the internet, which makes this article the exact opposite of news.

- Quboid

5. Re: Saturday Interviews Jul 30, 2016, 16:02 Quboid

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 14:32:
Quboid wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 14:10:
I've seen comments on Twitch about a streamer along the lines of "what's this old lady doing here?". I'd guess women are more likely to receive this sort of abuse because to some they are already where they don't belong.

You call "what's that old lady doing here?" abuse? Maybe an insulting comment, sure, since ladies tend to be sensitive about their age whatever their age, but abuse???

The comments were along the lines as in they insulted her for being an old woman streaming games, but yes, insulting strangers on the internet is abuse.

Do you think I'm saying that this is as bad as domestic abuse or something?

- Quboid

3. Re: Saturday Interviews Jul 30, 2016, 14:10 Quboid

It's not friends who are the problem, it's the people who don't realise that you're a human being with feelings and stuff.

I've seen comments on Twitch about a streamer along the lines of "what's this old lady doing here?". I'd guess women are more likely to receive this sort of abuse because to some they are already where they don't belong.

Also, there's old and there's old. AFAIK you're not quite so old as to have novelty value online.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2016, 23:18 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 20:08:
Cutter wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 15:16:
Fuckin tool rentals. I need a hammer drill for 2 concrete walls for furring strips, how much to rent it for four hours? $70 or $100 for the day. I can buy one for that. How do those companies stay in business?
You should have got it from g2a.

I bet drill rental in Thailand is a faction of that price. Maybe he could check it online and try offering that.

- Quboid

News Comments > EF-12- Fighting Game Maker Released
3. Re: EF-12- Fighting Game Maker Released Jul 29, 2016, 18:58 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 14:57:
2 potential issues:

1. Everyone makes a fighting dong game.

2. People use copyrighted IP to make characters.

Thats the idea though..

This is the Tekken version of Spore. The whole idea behind these fighting game creators is to import massive schlongs and have them fight eachother. This game will have every shape of wiener out there imported to it, as well as 3d models from other sexes and male->female conversions.

Check out salty... uh oh, now I've written this joke into a corner. A filthy, jizz-filled corner.

- Quboid

13. Re: Farming Simulator 17 Trailer Jul 29, 2016, 18:36 Quboid

ZeroPike1 wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 17:37:
I would not call putting in a female farmer skin a feature. They could easily model and patch that into previous 2-3 farming sim games.

You could say the same for pretty much any addition in annual iteration simulations.

- Quboid

11. Re: Farming Simulator 17 Trailer Jul 29, 2016, 09:26 Quboid

Rigs wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 08:58:
and noticing they made a point of including the new female farmer because feminism...

They probably made a point of including her because it's a video about a new version of their game, they're probably going to feature new stuff - but more significantly, your tone seems to be dismissive of feminism yet if "because feminism" is the reason why games don't ignore women's existence then feminism in video games is very important.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Counter-Strike: GO event pulled from German TV after Munich attack Jul 28, 2016, 23:18 Quboid

Edit: On second thought, let's not go there, 'Tis a silly place.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2016, 23:47.

- Quboid

187. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 28, 2016, 23:03 Quboid

I've used the start menu insta-search since about Vista; just press start and type the first few words. Much faster than the All Programs section ever was, even when I carefully categorised everything.

The only icons on my desktop are games I'm presently playing (The Witcher 3 is brilliant, BTW) as I typically don't want any windows open then.

- Quboid

10. Re: Counter-Strike: GO event pulled from German TV after Munich attack Jul 28, 2016, 18:30 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 18:08:
Quboid wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 16:27:
The article doesn't specify, it just says it has been pulled. It's probably sensitivity, or avoiding criticism for perceived insensitivity, rather than scapegoating.

Is de Maiziere taken seriously? Apparently this isn't the first time he has complained about computer games.

I'd be 99% certain it's sensitivity.

But, one of the largest sensitivities is gamers sensitivities over gaming. I mean, we've been down that road before, but anything that can be perceived as a slight to games is immediately taken as one by some people. I know some that think the media has a deliberate slander campaign against Pokemon Go because it's a video game...

There's a persecution complex amongst many gamers. I'd like to say that it is entirely understandable, but as I'm a gamer I can't truly be objective. We have definitely faced demonisation, but this has reduced hugely from the Columbine and Jackie T days.

I watched the Hatred release play out with interest. I felt this was just something that had to happen, sooner or later someone would covet controversy, and that the reaction would be interesting now that gaming is more widely understood. I was pleased by how little there was - I don't remember any reaction from the general media, only some Polygon hand-wringing.

- Quboid

8. Re: Counter-Strike: GO event pulled from German TV after Munich attack Jul 28, 2016, 16:27 Quboid

The article doesn't specify, it just says it has been pulled. It's probably sensitivity, or avoiding criticism for perceived insensitivity, rather than scapegoating.

Is de Maiziere taken seriously? Apparently this isn't the first time he has complained about computer games.

- Quboid

4. Re: Farming Simulator 17 Trailer Jul 28, 2016, 13:12 Quboid

Gadzooks wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 12:25:
After 17 games, Im pretty sure the the company selling this game is the one farming the customers.

Not sure if joking...

- Quboid

News Comments > Planet Coaster in Q4
3. Re: Planet Coaster in Q4 Jul 27, 2016, 19:20 Quboid

Slick wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 04:56:
wow, this game actually looks really good:

https://youtu.be/MMNohDmFHU4

There's people making really beautiful stuff with this already, definitely one to look out for. Conflict Nerd has some beautiful work like Pirate Valley.

- Quboid

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
11. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 27, 2016, 19:17 Quboid

shiho wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 18:38:
"No Man's Content" is going to put a huge dent in the value of the term "procedural" when used to hype any future game.

My expectations are fairly low, hence the snark, but I will reserve judgement until it's out and we see what there truly is to do and how varied the galaxy is.

Elite Dangerous curbed my enthusiasm for proc-gen because despite being a really good game its proc-gen felt unsatisfying to me and there wasn't enough sense of progression. Maybe NMS will provide more to do to progress, rather than get a new ship that feels pretty much the same and go to new solar systems that feel pretty much the same.

- Quboid

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
6. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 27, 2016, 18:34 Quboid

What is a Florp? Is it's nonsensical-ness is the point or is there something more to it?

NMS: Naming Monsters Simulator*

* I don't know much about the game, this is probably unfair.

shiho wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 18:20:
The game should be renamed to "GIGO".

"Garbage In, Garbage Out"?

I once wrote an email web client called Gigo based on that

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 27, 2016, 17:23 Quboid

Simon Says wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 15:28:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 13:30:
VaranDragon wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 12:06:
If banks can create money as they see fit, then why is it a crime if I steal some of it?

Pretty sure banks can't just create money. Countries can though.

Think again...

"This article explains how the majority of money in the modern economy is created by commercial banks making loans."

From the bankofengland.co.uk website's quarterly bulletin 2014/Q1

I was going to link to that. It's an interesting read, and the Bank of England aren't prone to "out there" theories.

"When a bank makes a loan, for example to someone taking out a mortgage to buy a house, it does not typically do so by giving them thousands of pounds worth of banknotes. Instead, it credits their bank account with a bank deposit of the size of the mortgage. At that moment, new money is created."

- Quboid

5566 Comments. 279 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo