Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5665 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
24. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 8, 2016, 12:24 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 11:29:
Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 09:47:
Regardless of whether the base accusation is true, that anyone would say that's "not [a] political hit piece" is the sort of believe-what-sounds-good nonsense that makes GamerGate such a waste of time.

And that's the part where politicians and the corrupt love you.

You trust this site.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
22. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 8, 2016, 09:47 Quboid

Both sides are awful, as I've said before, and pointing out that your opponents are as bad as you is a desperate defence.

GamerTics is a joke, right? It honestly could be a parody site. A news site with a politician as their logo and his slogan adapted as theirs, pathetic. They use his tactics too, truth-by-repetition and appealing to people's victim complexes, right down to depicting a white kid be yelled at by people who just happen to be of other races. Regardless of whether the base accusation is true, that anyone would say that's "not [a] political hit piece" is the sort of believe-what-sounds-good nonsense that makes GamerGate such a waste of time.

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year?
96. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 7, 2016, 15:26 Quboid

Bundy wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 11:55:
I'm more curious why Derek hasn't shown the same vitriol to NMS. They outright lied about features they never came close to implementing. And lied about them weeks before release. They angered all the fanbase they'd build up. Why aren't they a target on your blog? Or Molyneaux for that matter. He's made a career of pulling this same crap. For decades now he's been running the scam and drawn the ire of every gamer who believed his shit. Where is your daily blog post and legal threats to him?

No one can fight everything at once and the thinner he spreads himself the less he can look into things. He's picking his battles.

There's less his technical knowledge can tell us regarding NMS/Molyneux. Before launch, we mostly get vague comments and optimism which experienced gamers can largely see through, but which are hard to definitively say are bullshit. After launch, there's nothing DS can tell us that everyone doesn't already know.

Why limit himself to SC, NMS and Molyneux? He should go after Ubisoft, Konami, corrupt politicians, religious extremists and world poverty ... or maybe only bite off what he can chew. Why keep going after getting his money back? At a guess because he thinks it's wrong that anyone can get away with this, regardless of whether it affects him anymore.

(I mean, it's obviously 90% ego but still, that 10% is justified IMHO.)

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2016, 16:14.

- Quboid

News Comments > ARK Expansion Follow-up
27. Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 7, 2016, 10:57 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 04:44:
That lawsuit shit is crazy. Dude leaves his company to start a new company. His wife stays at old company. He poaches employees, and violates non-compete clause, so she sues him and they settle for $40M? Which he actually had since Ark has been selling like hotcakes?

It's nuts. Are they still married?

EDIT: the dude sounds like a total douche.

Susan Stieglitz is a co-founder of Studio Wildcard, the company coincidentally (*ahem*) formed about the time he left Trendy. AFAIK she never worked at Trendy.

- Quboid

62. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 5, 2016, 13:48 Quboid

Hey, I might always be high on myself but I'm only wrong most of the time.

'Virtually always', pffft!

- Quboid

60. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 5, 2016, 12:36 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 5, 2016, 11:59:
VaranDragon wrote on Sep 5, 2016, 10:28:
dsmart wrote on Sep 5, 2016, 09:40:
I just came here to see who else thinks this is my fault.

ps: I called it almost a year ago. You're welcome.

Looks like you came around just to say "I told you so". Which is lame, since you were far from the first or only person to spot the warning signs.
DS is the Cutter of the shitty game developer club.

His technical analysis is interesting so he can give a perspective that few else in this debate can, I'll give him that (unlike Cutter, who embodies the Dunning Kruger effect). It's his ego that makes him second only to Chris Roberts in the list of people who are hard to trust; comments like 'After all this time of my raising the alarm, all of a sudden "everyone saw it coming"' display a level of self-importance that makes me question other things he's said.

For example, if he says something's impossible technically, does he mean it's actually impossible or does he mean he couldn't do it therefore it must be impossible? I can't tell because as this thread shows, with him it's all about him. (No one was blaming you Derek - because you didn't tell us much we didn't already know - but that didn't stop you making it about you. Congrats.)

- Quboid

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 4, 2016, 18:58 Quboid

Another thing holding me back (as well as price, lack of software) is the potential format war between the Rift and Vive. Not all software supports both and I'm not going to risk spending money if I could end up with the 'wrong' headset.

I want either a clear winner or, much better, 95%+ software to work on both. Hopefully the Rift getting motion controllers soon will help standardise games. Then we'll see if PS VR boosts the PC VR market, or marginalises it.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2016, 14:40.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Patches
2. Re: Saturday Patches Sep 3, 2016, 17:20 Quboid

Retired wrote on Sep 3, 2016, 17:16:
It was possible you could use up all available slots for waypoints on the galaxy map and be unable to set new waypoints. This is much better now.

How was that ever overlooked in a game that touted infinite exploration!

Also, they used "learnt" in a sentence.....wtf.

Hello Games are British, learnt is spelt correctly.

- Quboid

News Comments > NVIDIA's Fallout 4 Mod
11. Re: NVIDIA's Fallout 4 Mod Aug 31, 2016, 23:17 Quboid

It's a good idea to make a mod to publicise a card, I'm happy to get free content. Although the name suggests my 970 won't be able to get the best out of it.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2016, 22:21 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 19:11:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 13:41:
Now..season passes...those should burn in hell. Specifically the ones that don't detail completely what all of the promised DLC will include. But that's another discussion....

Are season passes preorders for DLC content?

Effectively yes. A season pass is typically all the DLC so you're preordering any DLC which hasn't been released yet.

It can be useful after all the DLC has been released. I own Fallout 4 but none of the DLC so if I was to replay it now, the season pass may be cheaper than either buying the DLC separately or buying a GOTY edition (and paying for a 2nd copy of the base FO4 game).

- Quboid

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
1178. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Aug 31, 2016, 19:02 Quboid

Vall Forran wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 19:32:
I just gotta say, this game is amazing. It's a straight up sim, so if you get bored take a break for a couple months. Then come back.

How is it with VR? Can you play for long sessions?

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2016, 18:36 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 15:18:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 15:02:
Weird, my memory says 20-25 years ago games were 40-50 bucks at launch. Doom 2 was $49.99 at Sam's Club, for example.

Pretty certain that, when I finally tracked down a copy of Jagged Alliance (it took calling about 10 stores), I ended up having to pay $60 for it, making my poor dad drive god knows how far to a place he knew would rip me off. But, having finished the demo, and knowing it was the only copy within miles...

We can prove this, though, right? CGW is archived online. At random, I chose September, 1997. This kind of cracks me up because this one has an editorial from someone saying video games need to grow up and stop marketing themselves solely at undersexed teenage boys, but regardless, Chips and Bits is on page 290. New releases seem to be $42 to $52 (for Red Baron II on CD, possibly the biggest disappointment I'd ever had gaming.) Starfleet Acadamy is $56. Starcraft is $46. Quake is $49. Quake 2 preorder is $52.

FWIW, $50 in 1997 is worth $74.97 now. 50% inflation, and cheaper games now.

There could be differences in exchange rate or taxes that affect Canada but I'll leave Cutter's research to him.

- Quboid

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Open Beta
55. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta Aug 31, 2016, 16:59 Quboid

What sort of weapons are people typically using? Bolt action, semi-auto, full-auto? Most of the footage I've seen has shown automatic weapons (as Super Bunnyhop talks about in his very good WW1 games video) which misses the point of a WW1 setting IMHO.

I'll try Verdun some time, that's probably more my style.

- Quboid

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
28. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 31, 2016, 00:30 Quboid

Slick wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 22:27:
Emton wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 21:56:
Heyyyyyyy what's the best way to install new drivers, should I uninstall from the windows Programs and Features control panel, do I have to restart the PC after that? Should I restart the PC after I install the new drivers? How's it work nowadays?? helpanoob.com

everything minus restarting after you install the new ones.

If you wanna be thorough, then get DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), and follow the instructions. It's not usually necessary, unless you're having issues, or switching between AMD and nVid

I just run the Nvidia installer and it seems to do a smooth upgrade every time, no need to do any uninstalling unless you're changing GPU manufacturer. I don't know if a reboot afterwards is necessary, I haven't had any problems but I typically reboot after making system changes. Old Windows user habit.

If you're having GPU driver problems, it is worth uninstalling them in case the problem is something that could carry over.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 30, 2016, 18:42 Quboid

Creston wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 17:43:
Yeah, and? This is the EU's M.O. What, is this news to people or something? European law has been shitting on local laws since its inception in 1992. It's the whole reason there was a brexit to begin with.

[...]

Let's all join Apple and have a moment of silence for the death of European sovereignty.

There's another reason for Brexit: national sovereignty. People talk about the EU like it's not optional and countries don't choose sign up for this. Ireland choose to join the EU and Ireland has hugely benefited (remember the Celtic Tiger?) and now Ireland doesn't want to hold up its end of the deal and instead also operate as the sort of tax haven which most affects the larger economies that paid for half the roads around here, on both sides of the border.

There's always Article 50. I hear that's a great idea.

- Quboid

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
23. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 30, 2016, 18:27 Quboid

Slick wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 17:32:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 17:24:
You always want to run at least 2x AA even if you had 128K res. Why? Because it creates a much smoother image. Even tiny jaggies at high resolutions cause a slightly flickering image. This is especially true in games with lots of "edges", of course, like games with a lot of grass and leaves etc.
It is completely an urban myth that you can drop AA as long as the res is high enough. That's total BS.

well... there is some truth to it, I run @ 1440 and I can turn AA off on some games without shimmering. It's mostly UE4 games that suffer from bad PQ when AA is off, other engines handle it differently it seems.

I'd rather play at 1440p with no AA than 1080p with 4x or even 8x SMAA

Yeah, AA is always nice but the higher the resolution/PPI the less important it is. I also play at 1440p (on a 27" monitor) and I usually turn up nearly everything else to maximum before I touch AA.

The effect which means AA is relevant even at 128K resolution is called a moiré pattern. I don't understand what this is and Google didn't help (except what fancy accent to use) because I don't have a brain and I've had more wine than I really handle but best of luck on Google if you want to know more.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2016, 18:48.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
82. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 30, 2016, 12:36 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 11:32:
and compares it to seeing Suicide Squad because the trailers made you think it was good.

That was me and it was just meant as a throw-away joke about Suicide Squad, rather than NMS.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Aug 29, 2016, 22:03 Quboid

That's a good review Quinn. Your delivery is smoother than at first and the production is good. Excellent ending too

One nitpick, the sections (Story, G&P, Gameplay, etc) seem to run together. For example at 4:50 you go from talking about the Breach mode to the Verdict without the natural pause of a change of subject. The start of the G&P section flows better because of a fraction of a second more delay and IMHO another fraction would help. Hey, I told you I was nitpicking!

Perhaps wait until the red bar moving in from the right is nearly across before starting to talk?

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 29, 2016, 18:28 Quboid

I could probably get used to it but for anything except huge displays like a 50" monitor it seems pointless. With my multi-monitor setup, I like having separate flat panels.

Most of us have used curved screens - old convex CRTs - and I'm sure I'm not the only person to find the switch to flat CRT or LCD screens to be a bit weird for a while. I think if I tried a concave display for a short time, I would dislike it for the same reason.

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 17:19:
Blue wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 16:09:
Darks wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 15:10:
There is no need for a curved screen monitor for gaming monitors of this size. its a gimmick that servers no purpose to allow you to see the game any better. I've looked at them and I personally cant see any reason for them.

Here's a counterpoint: When using two monitors, almost everyone skews them a bit to have the outside edges be a little closer to them (myself included). If this mirrors what everyone naturally does with that much screen real estate, maybe it's for a reason.

counter-counterpoint: Two curved screens side by side (even with one at an angle so you don't have to turn your head Exorcist style) is going to cause a bizarre optical problem where the two screens curve up toward the joining part. While our focal points are spherical stereoptic, we also rely heavily on our peripheral vision which curved screens are absolutely terrible for. If Samsung could bring out the bendable OLED technology they keep demoing for monitors with a flexible frame at a reasonable price, that would solve the issue entirely.

I don't follow. Do you mean that things will look strange if the curved monitors are not positioned so that the curve continues smoothly with all parts of all monitors the same distance from the user?

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
66. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 29, 2016, 08:57 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 08:05:
Quboid wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 07:28:
Dacron wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 03:23:
Yep, 25k+, he just acts as if because no "thumbs up" are featured that they don't exist.

Some people just want to push their narrative.

It's very obvious he meant the featured reviews on the store page, not the review page. You're not proving how wrong he is, you're proving how much you missed his point - that negative reviews are getting flagged as helpful much more often.

I don't think that was very obvious. I never scroll down far enough to see reviews (or read Steam reviews, period), so I didn't even know there were reviews on the front page.

The top rated review has 70 hours in. Man, 70 hours in 1 week for something you hate. 70 hours is a long, long, long time, and putting it in a week (or 2, whichever)... insanity. A lot of people don't even spend 70 hours in their jobs in that period of time. A lot of people don't put that into 99% of the games they play in their lifetimes.

This looks like a 4-6 hour game, definitely not a 70. And, for that, I'm going to pull a CJ here and say $9.99. But they could have had me for $19.99 at launch day.

DangerDog said the Steam page, I would assume that is the main store page even if there wasn't another reason - which is that his statement is clearly correct if you take that interpretation and so clearly incorrect if you assume he meant the review page that a moment of critical thinking would make the meaning clear to anyone familiar with Steam's review system.

It's not pushing a narrative so much as falling into one, taking the most tenuous interpretations so as to disagree as much as possible.

- Quboid

5665 Comments. 284 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo