Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5665 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
50. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2016, 16:04 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 14:25:
Indiana Fertility Doctor Who Allegedly Used Own Sperm Faces Felony Charges.

Glad this douchebag is being nailed, but he committed this crime back in the 70s. Isn't there a statute of limitations?

Yeah, the judge should toss it.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 14, 2016, 15:59 Quboid

We give up the right for our telecoms companies to sue local municipalities who think they work for the people.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud
57. Re: Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud Sep 14, 2016, 15:48 Quboid

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 09:48:
bhcompy wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 18:15:

This has nothing to do with monopolies and everything to do with the same thing that Amazon struggles with, fake/joke/bullshit reviews.

Except that its nothing like what you are saying it is like. This is basically limiting the meta score to users who purchased their games THROUGH Steam. If you purchased your game through GOG for example, your review wont count. I don't see how this has anything to do with fake reviews, beacuse you still need to purchase and play the game just like anyone else except now it has to be done exclusively through Steam.

There shouldn't be the word 'still' there - now you have to purchase the game, you didn't necessarily have to before. It doesn't do anything about fake reviews directly but by excluding fake reviews (among many others) from the score, the incentive to do fake reviews is greatly reduced. Someone could write a fake review and get it voted up as helpful but it would still need to be a well written review to influence buyers and that takes time.

The problem with a 10 point scale is that using scores other than 0 or 10 just makes your opinion worth less. You can give whatever score you want in your review and that doesn't break the aggregate score.

- Quboid

News Comments > Vive la RIVE
1. Re: Vive la RIVE Sep 13, 2016, 21:02 Quboid

So, er, this is not for the Vive? This headline confuses my brain.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
26. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 13, 2016, 20:00 Quboid

You missed the point, hence "Regardless of whether the base accusation is true". I don't support people just because I think your lot are idiots.

That site is a bad joke, as are people who trust it. And as you know, that's not remotely what triggered means.

- Quboid

News Comments > Mafia III System Specifications
9. Re: Mafia III System Specifications Sep 13, 2016, 11:25 Quboid

nin wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 08:37:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 04:13:
That gameplay mechanic where an NPC always runs to a phone looks really annoying.

Yeah, just watching those videos makes it look like it's going to get old real quick...

There's potential in a witness-silencing mechanic but this looks quite shallow. It might work better in more private setting than in nin's first video, if it's a viable way to recover from a messed up hit. I hope you can turn off the "Witness is calling the police" banner, making it easy to ignore and slightly more realistic than the cops just turning up. (Although the protagonist using an ear-piece undoes that; probably possible then but it feels out of place.)

"Why Mafia III is the Next GTA V" (nin's second video) is pretty much why my expectations are low. Mafia has previously been more mature (and not in the swears & boobs meaning) than GTA, like what The Witcher 3 is compared to TES Skyrim. Also, yeah, that's rather washed out, is that an overzealous time-of-day filter on everything? Not the first game to go overboard with a JJ Abrams flair for camera effects.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2016, 12:12.

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year?
160. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 9, 2016, 18:18 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 17:28:
Somehow, this went from the tiring "debate with factual authority about whether the game that's years out will be the best thing ever or a monstrous failure" to the even more tedious "let's join together and shit on the last green label name that still hangs out here."

He's just insulting people, lying/deluded about our thoughts, and not actually using his factual authority. He doesn't have any facts to relay, seeing as nothing he's posted has been based on facts, reality or even sensibilities.

The unfair shit that people like Cliffski got has no bearing on my opinion or treatment of DSmart. I believe he thinks you should be grateful for saving you from spending a fortune on Star Citizen ships. Are you OK with that?

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 9, 2016, 18:14 Quboid

Graham wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 14:35:
Embarrassing to see folks here bite on Kotaku click-bait. They've since amended their headline to state that Sony will not charge for these updates; any developer that does think about doing would most likely be bundling it into DLC. I don't think we'll see it become an issue at all.

Amended following clarification from Sony, but it's Kotaku so let's blame them.

- Quboid

154. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 9, 2016, 16:41 Quboid

NasWulf wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 16:11:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 16:01:
dsmart wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 14:18:
I know that most of you guys have shit for brains, which explains the buying of JPEGs for a game that can never be done, but do try to keep up.

Chris Roberts turned me into a newt!... I got better.

You know as well as I do that when Squadron 42 is eventually released today tomorrow this year next year whenever you will secretly spend your $50 and play just like everybody else don't try to deny it you know you will, just like about 90% of the people that post here that say negative things will still purchase and play the game

FWIW if Squadron 42 comes out and looks to be a good game, I will buy it and readily admit that I was wrong. I'm quite negative on Star Citizen - more in regards to the PU but there's plenty that could go wrong with SQ42 - but I would honestly like to be wrong. I wouldn't enjoy admitting it but that's basically the tax for being negative; I'm not allowed to be smug about correct predictions if I don't eat humble pie after incorrect ones.

- Quboid

146. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 9, 2016, 15:05 Quboid

Verno wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 14:42:
Bundy wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 14:29:
<whispers> Why does Derek think we're all Star Citizen fans? There's like maybe 1 guy in 20 who are even remotely supportive that game on here, and I'm pretty sure that guy is me.

Haha yeah. If anything its the opposite, nearly the entire site is cynical about the game. It's pretty obvious hes jealous of their success and perhaps blames others for his own shortcomings in the industry, not realizing that its his own toxic behavior that causes his problems. Oh well, back to things that matter.

It's weird at this point. I guess it's the world he creates for himself. He loves to be the little guy taking on the world and the attention makes him feel special - especially negative attention. Being told that he's just not insightful or important, however, I think is what he can't hear.

Maybe that's why he's so sore about his PhD. Don't listen to Verno, Derek, you bought that PhD fair and square.

- Quboid

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 9, 2016, 11:38 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 07:16:
Rather than 4K, I wish content providers focused on getting streaming up to the same clarity as BluRay. A compressed 4K stream and much less compressed 1080p stream must be comparably sized, I'd guess, though I have no clue. Sadly, clarity is much less of a buzzword, but if you put a BluRay side by side with a stream on a good TV the difference is enormous, particularly in dark screens. On BluRay, you see actual details in Game of Thrones.

I think it's a classic example of how using something as a measurement makes it less useful as a measurement. See also megapixels for camera quality, GDP for economic strength. People (intentionally and unintentionally) work towards improving this metric, ignoring or even harming other aspects of the true, inconveniently complicated actual issue.

When I was looking for somewhere to buy movies/TV to stream/download I tried to find information on bitrates but it was hard to come by. Bandwidth requirements was the closest that most streamers made public.

- Quboid

News Comments > Humble End of Summer Sale Includes Free Tropico 4
10. Re: Humble End of Summer Sale Includes Free Tropico 4 Sep 9, 2016, 11:04 Quboid

They brought in the Steam account thing a while back because key scalpers would buy up the Humble Bundle keys for peanuts and then sell them off on G2A/whatever.

Humble/devs/charities would receive next to nothing and rather than the keys going to people who (to some extent) are happy to take a punt and hope a couple of the games are good, they instead go to people to actually want to purchase each specific game and who would be much more likely to pay a normal amount. This means legit sellers (who aren't breaking T&Cs or other contracts) get screwed because it's hard to sell Indie Hit X keys for $10 when it costs them $8 and someone who bought keys for $0.10 is selling them for $5.

I'm in favour of cheap games, don't get me wrong, but supply and demand only works when people stick to what they agreed. Free market, not anarchic market.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2016, 11:10.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 9, 2016, 09:00 Quboid

Numinar wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 02:34:
Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 16:23:
I hate censorship and groupthink as much as anyone but telling people what they should or shouldn't put in their game or review or essay seems a bit messed up.

Told by the sort of person who would describe themselves as "a supporter of free speech and expression", no less. Gotta love the old "shut up because free speech" argument.

I didn't say they should shut up, I just said their position on such matters is bullshit. Free marketplace of ideas and all that. "Games used to be dumb and apolitical and they always should be" is ridiculous.

Oh I agree. Criticism is fine, it's the people who tell reviewers how reviews must be written out of some notion that freedom of expression means they are free to expect everything to be written for them. "Freedom means everybody is free to say whatever *I* want" types.

- Quboid

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2016, 23:11 Quboid

Cool, thanks. Sounds like it's a decent feature, not as gimmicky as I'd suspected.  

- Quboid

123. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 8, 2016, 21:59 Quboid

Bundy wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 20:49:
dsmart wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 20:46:
You guys are hilarious. Here's the thing, I'll still be beautiful in the morning; but Star Citizen - which is never coming out - will still be shit and a massive scam. And you all will still be salty.

Me? I just keep on making games.

Guess he showed us! Cause blues is such a giant star citizen fanboy club.

Imagine if it turns out that we should have avoided the game that most of us thought we should avoid long before DS came on the scene. Oh the salt.

Drayth wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 20:55:
And there will still be a youtube =D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au6mMl5A79Q

That's the sort of person whose sanity I wonder about in this. I wonder how long they spent making that video.

- Quboid

News Comments > GeForce Experience 3.0 Released
21. Re: Into the Black Sep 8, 2016, 20:52 Quboid

Well said, HorrorScope Allthumbsup

There's plenty I don't like about online software (I've uninstalled this), licensing, DRM, and server shutdowns but the internet is a pretty big deal these days. This is the commercial reality because most people disagree with you guys (Suppa7 and CJ_Parker), get over it and get over yourselves. Neither of you are the pillars of wisdom you think you are.

You'd be slightly more persuasive if you didn't throw insults at people for having different opinions to you. Not much, since you're basically yelling at a calendar because it's not 1998 any more, but maybe in future.

- Quboid

117. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 8, 2016, 18:28 Quboid

Haha! Wow that's ... yeah. That's quite something. Pretty fair too, the original review is ghastly. Good game, but I didn't get any of that nonsense from it. Such are my limitations...

Also, from that article written in 2005:
I have been waiting for gaming journalism to mature to the level of regular journalism - or even tabloid journalism - for years. I keep thinking that big shift is right around the corner; the big change where the readers suddenly demand accountability and objectivity.

Heh.

Edit: The second part of that ends with a laugh a Derek Smart's expense! Some jokes are timeless.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2016, 18:40.

- Quboid

115. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 8, 2016, 17:44 Quboid

I don't know if he's threatened to sue other developers but he has threatened to sue reviewers. Even (Streisand effect) this beauty, thereby surely becoming the first person to be described as having been convicted of bestiality to ensure he can't sue the accuser for libel.

(They added the petting zoo bit after being accused of libel and it isn't libel if it's obviously a joke ... and the rest of the review wasn't enough apparently.)

- Quboid

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2016, 16:59 Quboid

From the Source Engine and that era, I understood HDR to be adjusting the image to simulate our eyes adjusting to light: making dark scenes have more visible detail (with light areas being washed out) and light scenes have more contrast and vibrancy (with detail in dark areas being almost indistinguishable).

1) Is this even correct for 3D engines?
2) How does this apply to hardware (and its firmware/OS/etc)? Do they apply a filter to the rendered 2D image and if so, does that affect image quality?

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2016, 16:23 Quboid

There has been dodgy journalism revealed under the banner of Gamergate and maybe something there wouldn't have come out anyway. I think some journos had forgotten that they're not just hobbyists with contacts. This could have been done without embarrassing gaming and reaffirming the stereotypes about gamers, and their achievements seem to be more about justifying their existence than changing journalism. (Edit: to be fair, it takes two to tango and I don't mean to imply that they must let criticism go unanswered. Refuting this post does not prove me right.)

For a while I considered GG to be the Tea Party of gaming, now they've both merged into the alt-right. Breitbart was ahead of the curve, how depressing.

I have a bit of sympathy for some of the main anti-GG crowd but not much. Things like the Quinnspiracy were bullshit but usually they just seem like the opposite extreme.

I hate censorship and groupthink as much as anyone but telling people what they should or shouldn't put in their game or review or essay seems a bit messed up.

Told by the sort of person who would describe themselves as "a supporter of free speech and expression", no less. Gotta love the old "shut up because free speech" argument.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2016, 18:06.

- Quboid

5665 Comments. 284 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo