Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5546 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Aug 17, 2016, 16:08 Quboid

DangerDog wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 15:48:
The small indie developers are suppose to be above such unscrupulous tactics, right?

OK I gotta ask - who is supposed to think small indie devs are different to other people? I know that these people exist, I'm just not sure what stereotype they are supposed to belong to.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Metal Gear Survive Announced
9. Re: Metal Gear Survive Announced Aug 17, 2016, 14:57 Quboid

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 12:52:
Off the rails since he left?!?

I've tried playing Ground Zero/Phantom Pain, do I really need to see Kojima's name 800 times before I finish the game?

Those are the only MGS games I've played and my first exposure to the supposed genius that is Hideo Kojima. Let's say I didn't see what the fuss was about regarding him (*cough*hack*cough*) but I was most struck by what a massive egotist that guy is. His name everywhere and he even put himself in Ground Zeroes.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 17, 2016, 14:05 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 11:07:
Verno wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 09:35:
That happens during development and this sort of thing is why developers should never interact with the public. Everything is suddenly a promise and if a feature doesn't make it then the people who wanted it take it as a personal slight. Whether it was in the game at some point and cut or never made it, the effect is the same. I'm sure many of those were present but didn't make the final cut. Sony should've just stuck with traditional advertising campaigns instead of parading Murray around on late night shows.

Yup.

And E3 demos for games years out are aspiration. It's a vision of where they want the game to go.

Even ACM. I know I've mentioned it before, but I ran into an artist on the game and he swore up and down it worked as pictured until just before going gold. It wasn't hitting the frames it needed to, though, and changes were made. At the last minute someone messed up and too many were made and it ended up looking like garbage. He blamed the producer, but said that the game absolutely looked like the E3 demo until about a month before release.

Is he right? Maybe, but it's how he viewed the issue. They really thought they'd get what looked like the E3 version out the door but at the last minute it became obvious they couldn't get that running as they wanted. This explains some changes, not all, but I never played the game and I never assume anything will look like preview versions, so...

He's probably exaggerating/blame-deflecting but I could see this being a significant factor. I though the same about Watch Dogs' missing features that could be re-enabled.

The thing is ... I can understand how this happens but it's still bullshit. They overestimated what they could do? That is, or should be, their problem. Maybe they should have to publish a detailed (and embarrassing) list of failures and watch pre-orders get cancelled in favour of social media anger. That's not workable but at present, there's precious little reason not to push E3 videos as far as possible.

With No Man's Sky, there seems to be a hell of a lot missing even excluding things like landing on asteroids (because "Yeah, at the moment you can land on asteroids" is not a promise - more like a warning). It's not just a graphical downgrade, this is Peter Molyneux levels of lies/delusions.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
14. Re: Game Reviews Aug 16, 2016, 21:53 Quboid

Do the animals move around and hunt (semi-)realistically? There was a trailer that looked like Jurassic Park but that gif that looked awful. What's the reality?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Aug 16, 2016, 17:42 Quboid

He's brilliant at PR. PR is all about turning sceptical gamers into disappointed customers and No Man's Sky was #1 and #2 on the last Steam Top ~10 list.

Explaining more about the game would only have hurt sales and the messy release isn't really consequential to him. Maybe the confusion helped hype people up and draw others in.

- Quboid

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs
11. Re: New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs Aug 16, 2016, 16:03 Quboid

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 15:34:
Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 15:29:
Never had that problem and I installed this already, smooth sailing as usual.

Yeah, everyone that's experienced problems before must be full of shit since you never had any.

He didn't say no one else is having problems. If only people who have a problem post, it gives the impression that it doesn't work for anyone.

I've never noticed a problem with previous generations either. I seem to have been very lucky, I've rarely had GPU driver problems and only consistently when I had SLI.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 16, 2016, 14:55 Quboid

Anyone recommend an Android "is it worth $0?" game review blog?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2016, 19:31 Quboid

Is it fair to say both Deadwood and Firefly were expensive to make and had a cult following, as in they were loved by relatively few rather than liked by many?

A disinterested viewer is worth as much as an engrossed one - in the short term - so it's easy to imagine these being on the chopping block in favour of cheaper, disposable stuff.

- Quboid

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
1169. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Aug 15, 2016, 12:56 Quboid

You guys ... so immature.  

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Aug 14, 2016, 16:55 Quboid

Wise of them to stay out. I don't agree with everything TotalBiscuit has said on the subject but he did stick to talking about actual journalism problems.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Sequel Plans?
7. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Sequel Plans? Aug 14, 2016, 15:34 Quboid

I've played The Witcher 3 enough to know that White Wolf was unlikely going to be good news for Vampire.  

- Quboid

News Comments > No Man's Sky Released
73. Re: No Man's Sky Released Aug 13, 2016, 21:21 Quboid

heroin wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 21:01:
It's funny that Truck Simulator gets glowing reviews. I can't help but wonder if the retail price had been $30.00 (where it belongs) if reviews may have been different based on perceptions of what you get from a $30.00 indie title instead of a $60 AAA blockbuster. It definitely retarded that it seems like they tried to market this that way.

ABZÛ too. A very different game, but it looks like it has a similar chilled vibe to it. Well received, less than half the price of NMS. At $30, this would look like an ambitious indie project. At $60, this looks like an over-hyped disappointment.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Aug 13, 2016, 18:09 Quboid

To be honest I thought all these idiots would have disappeared a year ago.

I've no idea who are cultists and who are cynical cult leaders using cultists to their gain but I think it's too easy to write-off someone you disagree with as having an ulterior motive, thereby avoiding considering their point of view. Granted, I am suspicious of the chap who tweeted that "no one has ever cared, ever" about thousands of angry gamers before jumping on the GG bandwagon / having a change of heart. Opportunists are out there and no ideology is immune.

I have sympathy for Zoe Quinn. I don't know what she's done since but she didn't deserve to have this blow up about her in the first place.

I can't think of anyone involved who I would consider credible. Is TotalBiscuit involved? He's pretty good. I don't think Sarkeesian is the devil but I don't consider her particularly credible either - when I've disputed criticism of her, it's because I didn't agree with the specific criticism.

- Quboid

News Comments > Quantum Break for Windows 7 Next Month
7. Re: Quantum Break for Windows 7 Next Month Aug 10, 2016, 22:06 Quboid

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 20:11:
NetHead wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 20:01:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 19:08:
LOOOOOOOOOOOL@FlipFlopSoft

This game must have failed so hard on the Windows store for them to make this desperate move. Hahaha... a most gleeful experience I must say. I might even pick up the Steam version when it goes on sale for sub $5 one day. There's no way I'm paying any more than pennies for a game that has an abysmal 62 MC score and that is published by FlipFlopSoft to add insult to injury.

While part of me would like to laugh at the thought of the exclusivity Windows 10/UWP being a failure for sales etc. It's more likely it was just a timed exclusive.

A timed exclusive when the platform/store holder and the publisher is the same party? You mean Nadella strolled over to Phil Spencer's office and asked him politely if he can have the game exclusively on the store to promote Win 10? I would not put insane schizo stuff like that beyond FlipFlopSoft but that would be a little weird even for them...

Why not? If they can do timed exclusives with other companies, surely doing one within the same company is easier. Nadella wants to promote Win10, Spencer wants to sell copies of his game and build the IP, so this is the compromise.

This seems too quick to be a panic release, I think it must have been planned for a while.

- Quboid

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2016, 20:14 Quboid

I see what you mean. I feel like all schools react to all pupils very differently to back when I brought a toy gun in and didn't even get scolded - and hell, that was during The Troubles in Northern Ireland.

The last paragraph of your original post is irksome. You explain why you think leftists are racist and then complain about being called racist. People are too quick to resort to moral outrage when they misunderstand others, I agree, but it's not a good look to complain about this immediately after doing just this.

- Quboid

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2016, 17:32 Quboid

bigspender wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 16:27:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 15:39:
“Clock boy” Ahmed Mohamed sues Irving schools, police for wrongful arrest.

I feel this family baited the cops, and they totally fell for it. LOL.

A lot of people feel this way. I saw an analysis of it when it was big news, and it looks like it was a set up to get attention and money.

It also goes a long way to point out a double standard that's beginning to develop thanks to SJWs.

What would have happened if this was a kid with a western background? The public would just have called him an idiot for bringing something that looks exactly like a suitcase explosive to school. End of story.

But in a regressive leftist mind "these people" need protection, they don't know any better. They are special and need to be encouraged to simply perform to the baseline societal standard. It's disgusting that leftists think so little of anyone with a non western background that they treat them like delicate flowers. And if you don't agree you're immediately labeled a racist.

So a kid with a Western background just gets called an idiot. A kid with a Middle-Eastern background gets arrested.

Damn those people who think that equality for all people needs protecting. They're definitely the problem here.

(To be fair, it was an extremely dumb thing for anyone to do and a Western kid getting arrested wouldn't be impossible - but I think less likely.)

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2016, 17:43.

- Quboid

News Comments > No Man's Sky is Very Very Chill
56. Re: No Man's Sky is Very Very Chill Aug 9, 2016, 16:16 Quboid

Tachikoma wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 13:29:
One would think such learned font of gaming knowledge as Ars should know better. I suppose, for example, that in The Witcher the reason every thug in Flotsam looks like a clone of another is "artistic vision"...or something. Never mind every other game that "recycles content", which indeed is just about every single game out there.

To be clear, do you think that "Every planet I go to has the same "settlement" and "mural" structures, right down to the north-south-east-west positioning of iron-built buildings in a mountain's pit." is a similarly bad problem as games like The Witcher 3 repeating a few different faces amongst many NPCs?

- Quboid

News Comments > No Man Sky Patch & Plans
31. Re: No Man Sky Patch & Plans Aug 8, 2016, 22:28 Quboid

Tachikoma wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 13:47:
As for gameplay, it has more systems than GTA/Mass Effect.

What do you mean?

- Quboid

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2016, 17:03 Quboid

Dagnamit wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 15:53:
Quboid wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 13:41:
Ferris Bueller is one of the most obnoxious wankers ever put on screen, right? I keep on hearing about how he's the coolest, everyone would want to be him, want to be his friend or want to date him. Why? He's a bad person, a terrible student and an even worse friend. A self obsessed, attention seeking narcissist, unable or unwilling to care about anybody except himself.

I'm not sure I would ever tire of punching his smug, Broder-esque face.

That's the beauty of the movie. Is Ferris awesome or horrible? I find the same question applies to Holden Caulfield in Catcher in the Rye. I find him to be an annoying and arrogant child of privilege, yet others find him endearing.

Ferris is all of those things you said, but he's also smart, charming and, most importantly, BORED AS FUCK. He's treating high school like a small child that tortures insects, he biding his time and toying with those lesser than him.

I find for both that the age you were exposed to each of them will color your perspectives. I've first saw Ferris as young kid and didn't read Catcher until I was 21, so that almost certainly is the reason why I hate Holden, yet have a soft spot for Ferris.

That's a good point. I first saw it in my twenties. Perhaps if I had seen it while at school, I would have appreciated the fantasy a bit more, even though I would never have wanted to be like him or friends with him.

I probably shouldn't watch Catcher in the Rye, I'm not sure my TV can take another beating like it got during the parade scene. The world doesn't revolve around you, you little punk. #teamEdRooney

- Quboid

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2016, 13:41 Quboid

Ferris Bueller is one of the most obnoxious wankers ever put on screen, right? I keep on hearing about how he's the coolest, everyone would want to be him, want to be his friend or want to date him. Why? He's a bad person, a terrible student and an even worse friend. A self obsessed, attention seeking narcissist, unable or unwilling to care about anybody except himself.

I'm not sure I would ever tire of punching his smug, Broder-esque face.

- Quboid

5546 Comments. 278 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo