Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 6019 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gearbox Drops G2A Deal
15. Re: Gearbox Drops G2A Deal Apr 8, 2017, 23:38 Quboid

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 22:28:
Quboid wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 07:56:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 23:47:
Not sure what Gearbox was expecting. You can't deliver an ultimatum demanding far-reaching systemic changes and expect G2A to comply within a day.

This was simply a PR stunt to help boost Gearbox's public image.

Gearbox gave them at least 30 days. G2A must have rejected the demands outright.

I'm pretty sure Gearbox gave them like eight hours? They made their ultimatums on the day before the reclip edition went live and said "This all has to be committed to before the game comes out!"

Even with the most goodwill in the world, no company is going to make major changes like that in the space of a single business day. That's just not how business works.

In the end, I'm pretty sure this was Gearbox's plan all along, as some weird way to generate buzz for themselves. Randy Pitchford is a giant fucking moron, but there's no way he genuinely didn't know what a shithole G2A is.

Hmm, good point. They gave G2A 30 days to implement the first changes, not agree to them. Sorry.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 8, 2017, 09:08 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 02:08:
U.S. Blinks in Clash With Twitter; Drops Order to Unmask Anti-Trump Account.

Good, because the request was small, petty, bullying, and probably illegal.

Something something Trump, amirite?!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

News Comments > Gearbox Drops G2A Deal
13. Re: Gearbox Drops G2A Deal Apr 8, 2017, 07:56 Quboid

Jerykk wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 23:47:
Not sure what Gearbox was expecting. You can't deliver an ultimatum demanding far-reaching systemic changes and expect G2A to comply within a day.

This was simply a PR stunt to help boost Gearbox's public image.

Gearbox gave them at least 30 days. G2A must have rejected the demands outright.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
40. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 8, 2017, 07:47 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 02:47:
The situation with the neighbor's dogs has to be the most stressful event I've found myself in. It's raining and cold over here in California, and I didn't know how the dogs were doing or if they had shelter, food, or what. The worse is the owner left the property two weeks ago (he's a renter). He abandoned his dogs. I have great news to report! The Chief of Police emailed me tonight:

"Animal Services responded to check on the dogs today. Some food was left by the Animal Services Officer and the dogs appeared to be in acceptable health at that time. A note was left requesting contact from the owner and we’ve received no response. The plan now is that the dogs will be taken into protective custody tomorrow by our Animal Services staff."

It's been a very long six months but I'm relieved for the dogs, and I'll finally be able to get peace and quiet. Win-Win for us both!

Poor pooches. I hope they're sent to a no-kill shelter. I don't hope the same for their ex-owners.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2017, 12:20 Quboid

"Hey Anthony, want to make a lot of money for little effort?"
"Michael my friend, you're a genius!"

News Comments > BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character
63. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 19:20 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 18:47:
Squirmer wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 18:40:
The only issue here is that Bioware writers are terrible. It wasn't this character that was "hamfisted". Bioware's writing in general is hamfisted.

That's the thing. I don't even like ham. So I surely don't like it being punched! I prefer turkey clubs with a side a french fries. I'm hungry. BRB! Drool

Um, fisted doesn't mean punched. Just sayin'.

31. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 13:04 Quboid

Verno wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 12:54:
Quboid wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 12:07:
Characters should be well written, this one wasn't. That's the problem, not that they included a trans character.

It's a good thing I didn't make that argument then, you seem like you're struggling to find something to be offended about here. I said don't include a minority character for the sake of ticking off some boxes. That means don't pander, its almost always poorly written and offends the very community you're trying to be inclusive toward. It's just as obnoxious with dude-bro stereotypes before you even go there and yes I find it equally as annoying.

I'm not offended, I just think your statement "Include a minority character if its story appropriate" isn't sufficient. I agree with your wider point.

20. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 12:07 Quboid

Verno wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 11:33:
Quboid wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 11:21:
How often is a minority character any more or less appropriate for the story than a majority character? If a game has nothing to do with race, is a non-white (or non-whatever race is majority in the dev's culture) character inappropriate?

Go play the game and you'll see why this character sticks out like a sore thumb and what people are talking about. Does it fit naturally into the story? No one cares what their gender or sexual preference is. Does it feel shoe horned and unnecessary because it was some idiot ticking boxes? Don't bother unless you can do it in a way that doesn't insult the community you're trying to make feel included in the first place.

Characters should be well written, this one wasn't. That's the problem, not that they included a trans character.

I don't want to argue for tokenism, but for realistic diversity. Watch Dogs 2 included a trans character and because she was well written, it didn't feel like a box was being ticked. This presents a problem for writers - if I was writing fiction set in my own environment, the realistic representation for one character would be a heterosexual white cis able-bodied person so writing anything else would arguably be tokenism. But if I write 100 characters, avoiding tokenism for all of them, then I have an unrealistic depiction - I would need to deliberately give some characters different attributes.

Solution: write diverse characters, write good characters and when you fail, learn from your mistakes like BioWare seem to be doing. Don't apologise because anyone's feelings are hurt, do apologise if you think you made a mistake.

12. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 11:21 Quboid

Because heaven forbid BioWare actually take pride in their work and actually willingly listened to criticism. No no, it's the SJWs (this time).

Include a minority character if its story appropriate

How often is a minority character any more or less appropriate for the story than a majority character? If a game has nothing to do with race, is a non-white (or non-whatever race is majority in the dev's culture) character inappropriate?

News Comments > Steam Discovery Changes Will "Fight Fake Games"
22. Re: Steam Discovery Changes Will Apr 4, 2017, 20:32 Quboid

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 13:40:
Steam has gotten to the point where I am thinking of keeping my current library but no longer purchasing games through them. As someone else mentioned, the "Discovery" queue system is a joke, often filled with crapware and "Early Access" titles. What is likewise "Recommended" to me rarely fits my interest. I think I'll probably switch to GOG since they have a more generous refund policy, tighter rules, and I don't always have to be connected to play my games or fiddle with a client.

Another old man.

You can customise your store front discovery queue to exclude E.A. and some other stuff like VR and videos. It's in your preferences (click on your username, top-right), and for the queue there's a customise option by the "Next" button.

I'd rather these were hidden by default. Early Access has it's place, but IMHO the store-front isn't it.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
20. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 3, 2017, 09:31 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 07:55:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 07:24:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 07:16:
And I never said nor implied it was a race crime...

Cutter said it was a race crime (black on white) and you came in to defend that.

That's really cute, but I posted here because the article wasn't talking about a pretty damn important element of the case, namely that a hate mob (of "people" hah) formed in front of her house and that hate mob did more than "ringing forcefully" and the police relocated the entire family, and that on top of that there was a pretty disgusting hate mob on twitter targeting the family and the victim.

When I ever have cause to defend Cutter you can be sure it will be a gold laced letter made of pure ivory and not a secondary quote from Quboid

I hadn't read anything more about this. Sadly, this doesn't surprise me at all. Witness intimidation, extreme victim blaming, and the police being unwilling/unable to deal with mobs are common place in this sort of situation - regardless of race, or racism against whites, or whatever was up Cutter's ass yesterday.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2017, 17:02 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Apr 2, 2017, 13:41:
Another black on white hate crime. Where are all the BLM and liberals now? Oh right, it's only a crime if it's a black man who's the victim.

This is stupid even by your standards. BLM is obviously irrelevant here, and what liberals are saying this isn't a crime?

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2017, 17:15.

83. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Mar 31, 2017, 16:38 Quboid

Asmodai wrote on Mar 28, 2017, 19:12:
I really hope you aren't a straight white male appropriating trans rage. That would be fairly tragic. /giggle

Why would that be tragic?

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2017, 16:52.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 30, 2017, 17:50 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 13:59:
Seriously, what did they *think* would happen?

They thought Crooked Hillary would sell them out to her pals in big business. Now they think Obama already did this. From yesterday:

ledhead1969 wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 16:59:
I don't recall seeing ANY Blue's posts about this ISP selling thing for the 7.5 YEARS OBAMA ALLOWED IT. Hypocrisy FTW.

I'm guessing far-right news sites are deliberately using this tactic. Tell their chronically uninformed readers that Obama already did whatever Trump is getting in trouble for - facts don't matter, they'll believe it. Then liberals are hypocrites for either not condemning something which never actually happened, or because far-right-site pretended there was no condemnation when there was. It's funny when people like ledhead1969 fall for it, it's depressing when more intelligent people like Bats fall for it.

I wish this notion that both parties in the US are equally bad would die. That way of thinking incentivises politicians to be as greedy as possible because why not? "I can be as shitty as I like, it makes my opponent look as bad!" / "Why should I even care a little bit about my constituents when my opponent doesn't and they're getting rich without being penalised". Both parties are bad but one's worse and maybe if stuff like this affected votes, both parties would actually want to make voters happy.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 30, 2017, 17:06 Quboid

Prez wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 10:07:
When Congress and Adminstrations of both parties run rampant over people's rights, I don't see any reason to single out this one thing and suddenly be concerned.

It's not this one thing. Even if it was, that's not a reason to not care but it's clearly not. Remember SOPA?

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 30, 2017, 12:24 Quboid

Pigeon wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 11:08:
Donald Trump champion of the people... as defined by Citizens United.

Ha! Nice!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 29, 2017, 14:59 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 14:25:
Ah, I remember the good old days of railing against lobbyist Tom Wheeler when he first started and him turning out to be a pretty good consumer advocate. Thanks Obama!

No chance of that happening with ex-Verizon lawyer Ajit fucking Pai at the helm. We never knew how good we had it.

Corporations, FTW.

I remember thinking he was an awful appointment. Glad to say I was wrong.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 27, 2017, 19:57 Quboid

NKD wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 11:38:
The term is basically used today to mean "someone who is concerned about something I'm not personally concerned about".

Which, quite frankly, makes the person using the term more of a snowflake than anyone else, because they are dismissing the concerns of a lot of people simply because they personally don't give a shit.

Well said. It's a word used by sensitive people who are very self-involved and not at all self-aware.

To be fair, they don't have a monopoly on thin skin.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 26, 2017, 16:18 Quboid

Is there a Battle Royale game that is generally considered to be the best? It seems like a good mode for public servers; not reliant on teamwork with randoms, but more organised than FFA.  

36. Re: On Sale Mar 26, 2017, 01:26 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 01:10:
@Quboid - Have you seen the STTNG episode "The Offspring?"

No I haven't, I've only seen a the odd episode of Star Trek. I keep hearing about it, TNG in particular, and it sounds like something I'd like. Red Letter Media's review of Starship Troopers compares that movie to a TNG episode with a similar premise and the thoughtful approach of TNG looked very interesting.

That review has a decent argument for Starship Troopers not being quite as bad as I'd remembered. The fascism satire went over my head when I saw it, I was more interested in the shower scene at that age. Just remember that it's not based on the book of the same name.

6019 Comments. 301 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo