Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5819 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
29. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 26, 2015, 18:35 Quboid

Verno wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 09:03:
The little kid in this case was 26 years old and had a long criminal history. He did it intentionally to two different helicopter pilots. Not sure what other intent there can be when you shine a high powered laser at a cockpit, it's not like (most) people don't know its dangerous.

I think the intention is to annoy the pilot and make the aircraft serve. Like an idiot dropping bricks from an overpass, I don't think that they even think of the possible consequences, and should an aircraft crash they would be as shocked as anyone. I.e. they are utter, utter morons. I don't think that shining a laser pointer at an aircraft is a deliberate attempt to cause a crash, and as the judge points out, that the laser-shining law exists suggests that US law thinks the same.

I think 14 years is harsh and although the aircraft-destruction law does appear to be technically applicable (the "reckless disregard" clause), this goes against the spirit of that law. However, given that there were 2 targets hit several times, this guy's criminal record and his age, I see no reason why he shouldn't face the maximum sentence of the lesser crime. Five years in prison is a hell of a long time, or 10 years if he gets 2 consecutive maximum sentences.

He certainly deserves to go away for quite some time. The probation and community service given to the man in New Zealand seems crazy.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended
28. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended Jun 25, 2015, 20:05 Quboid

ViRGE wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 17:26:
Drazula wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 10:50:
Wow! Will they piss off PC gamers by never re-releasing it?!
No, of course they'll re-release it. There's tens of millions of dollars in sales at stake here, plus contractual relationships with NVIDIA and the like. Fixing it will be much cheaper than losing out on all of those sales.

Agreed, but what about games at the planning stage now? Will they look at those and think "we need to do a proper PC version" or "screw PC"? I'd prefer the former, but either beats shitting out unfit products.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

News Comments > GMG Arkham Knight Refunds
28. Re: GMG Arkham Knight Refunds Jun 25, 2015, 19:55 Quboid

It remains to be seen how strict Valve will be with refunds, what they consider to be abuse, but anyone would has a pattern of buying, negatively reviewing and refunding games to punish publishers will surely find themselves refused refunds pretty darn quick.

I agree with you about refunds, Rattlehead, but you should check your attitude to other posters.

News Comments > Blade & Soul Business Model Outlined
1. Re: Blade & Soul Business Model Outlined Jun 23, 2015, 11:45 Quboid

cosmetics, convenience, and consumables – not power, not gear, not permanent stat increases

So temporary increases are in? Sounds like these consumables will make it pay to win.

News Comments > Planet Coaster Beta Access for $75
3. Re: Planet Coaster Beta Access for $75 Jun 23, 2015, 10:16 Quboid

RollerCoaster Tycoon was an economic game which would appeal to plenty of the Elite crowd. They did the same thing with Elite Dangerous, limiting their beta to those who are exploitable have nostalgia and disposable income.  

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Announced
22. Re: Project CARS 2 Announced Jun 22, 2015, 21:44 Quboid

I don't trust small developers to be able to focus on more than one project properly. Even Keen Software (Space Engineers, Medieval Engineers), who supposedly brought on more staff for ME, I fear that there are key resources that will be split, harming both projects. How many coders and artists with experience on Space Engineers got moved over and replaced with novices, if they were really replaced at all?

I appreciate that Slightly Mad Studios have to plan for the future (and I'm sure PC2 has been in planning since well before PC1's release) but the more public their plans, the more focus they will have to spend on it and you don't get much more public than crowd funding. They sold over a million copies in a month, they really can't fund development (early development, before loads of artists are needed) for a year?

I wouldn't go for a typical sequel model; for a hardcore simulation (which I understand this is), 2.0 should be free and accompanied by some pricey content packs. Still, that's their prerogative. They do need to plan for more income in some manner so I think this is about 80% looks bad and 20% actually bad.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 22, 2015, 07:12 Quboid

The pricing shenanigans were debunked, unless there have been others.

The biggest problem with this sale and so many others is that I already have such a backlog of games that 50% off something mildly interesting just isn't worth taking a punt on.

I'm also pretty fed up with Early Access tat. I take the attitude that what they offer now is what I'm buying and all the future promises mean nothing and by this criteria, there's not much worth getting.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 20, 2015, 17:39 Quboid

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 16:20:
So it's illegal for me to rip my CDs to MP3, or copy my mp3s TO a data cd, when my car has MP3 playback on the 6-disc changer?
I'm not gonna say every MP3 I have is legal, my collection is small compared to most. But the ones I own legally should be copyable to a disc for easier playback in my car.

Is the music industry really saying you have to play your music CDs as-is, instead of, oh, compiling every disc from one band onto a single one? Absurd. How do they think they'll catch people DOING this? Is the RIAA gonna go look through everyone's car?

They don't care about people doing this or about enforcing it, they just want to avoid any legal precedent that might suggest customers have ownership of the stuff that we buy. AFAIK they are still fighting giving digital content to family in your will, preferring that your license expires with your breath.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay Video
11. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay Video Jun 18, 2015, 22:46 Quboid

It looks like Crysis, when they went to that tank mode I half expected to hear "maximum armour". I think they should have dumped Adam Jensen, he's OP and he looks and sounds ridiculous.  

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Trailer
8. Re: American Truck Simulator Trailer Jun 18, 2015, 08:30 Quboid

I think it's only a few south-west states, it will take a dozen expansions before we can do a proper cross-country haul.

Based on your in-game world position, the truck's radio could use real local radio stations. SCS could maintain a list of hundreds of radio stations that stream online and where they broadcast and make those available in-game.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 17, 2015, 10:53 Quboid

I just do what Kate Upton tells me to do. Can't help it.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 17, 2015, 10:53 Quboid

He loved a good bandwagon does CliffyB, but the comments about piracy were just him shooting his mouth off nearly a decade ago at a time when piracy was hurting PC gaming. I suspect it is less of a problem now thanks to digital distribution.  

News Comments > Starbreeze Unveils VR Hardware
10. Re: Starbreeze Unveils VR Hardware Jun 14, 2015, 18:45 Quboid

DangerDog wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 16:25:
210 degree FOV, Sign me up! How could you have screen door effect at that resolution?

You'll have to go where the game support is though, I'm going to bet Oculus wins that battle.

I hope there will be a fairly open standard, which Oculus claim they want to encourage content creation. I prefer this headset's specs, lack of FOV is a problem with the DK1 that the Oculus guys apparently don't consider to be too bad. If my maths is correct, this is a 2560x1440 screen for each eye, compared to the Rift CV1's 1080×1200. Quite a difference in aspect ratio, even if StarVR's vertical FOV is about the same as the Rift's.

Responsiveness and accuracy of input and output is as important. I'm confident that the Rift will be fine as my DK1 is pretty good but refresh rate and physical position tracking for this is unknown.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 14, 2015, 17:09 Quboid

Uh oh somebody's thrown a tantrum.

Thanks for the links.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 14, 2015, 16:42 Quboid

ASeven wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 16:01:
Steam drama alert:

Another hipster indie dev that made a terrible game is sad that steam refunds is doing its job. He left the game page like this right now:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/358480/

Priceless. Just priceless.

Notice how almost all of these indie devs that cry foul are the ones producing some of the shittiest games in steam?

That's gone, what was the game?

News Comments > YouTube Gaming This Summer
12. Re: YouTube Gaming This Summer Jun 13, 2015, 09:08 Quboid

"But we thought we were player 2!"

"Shut up Steam Broadcasts, nobody cares about you."

News Comments > The Ship HD Announced
5. Re: The Ship HD Announced Jun 12, 2015, 16:31 Quboid

Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 15:26:
nin wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 08:55:
The original was fun, in small doses, especially with a group. I'd play it again.

Yeah, I wouldn't rush out to grab this but I'll definitely Steam sale it sometime to play with friends.

This has "75% off, Steam Christmas Sale 2016" written all over it. Probably the first time it would be heavily discounted, which would liven up the multiplayer scene.

News Comments > Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel
16. Re: Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel Jun 11, 2015, 12:52 Quboid

Does anyone here use a steering wheel stand like the GT Omega? Worth considering?  

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Jun 10, 2015, 12:19 Quboid

I can't tell from the review but perhaps Homeworld is specifically referring to the Abrahamic God, therefore (as they see it) misrepresenting Christianity? They generally object to *ahem* fictional religions in other games so perhaps they just ran out of room to list their moral objections to The Witcher 3.

I quite like their reviews. They've always done a pretty good job of separating their views from the game and presenting both and their moral perspective is interesting even if my own priorities are very different.

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
39. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 14:41 Quboid

bhcompy wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 12:03:
You people act as if this is going to be something that people are just going to do over and over again. Valve has already stated that abusers will be addressed, and I imagine if it becomes a widespread problem everyone will have a certain number of refunds per year available to them.

If games are good, they will make money.

Good point. Thinking about this and reading this thread, this just seems like a good thing. It will be open to some abuse but even in purely business terms the value of the trust gained will far outweigh it.

5819 Comments. 291 pages. Viewing page 51.
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo