Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 6202 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
16. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 28, 2017, 09:42 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 08:42:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 18:59:
Glad to see there's many voices of reason, untainted by "news" agencies that only report half truths like fox.
If by "news" you mean highly polarized and not objective, then I'd agree with that. Especially since those untainted agencies were far more likely to engage in what you're complaining about then even fox.

That's an interesting article, but where does it say anything like that?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Dec 27, 2017, 14:46 Quboid

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 12:04:
Sigh, if only such scandals could gain any traction today. We have them on at least a weekly basis now, and they are far worse. Trump's people are already admitting to criminal acts and being indicted. Remember when Conway said we couldn't afford to have a president under investigation by the FBI? Yeah... me too...

Thank you for making a point I recently tried to make, but making it much, much better than I did.

I think there's a lack of dialogue within each side. (I realise politics is more complicated than left/right, but broadly speaking there are two camps, especially where there's a two-party system.) Extreme elements only interact with people who they see as the enemy, so they only get more entrenched and more vocal, drowning out moderate voices ever more.

The sort of people who believe Pizzagate aren't going to believe the evil perverts who abuse children in the basement of a pizza restaurants when they say that children aren't being abused in pizza restaurants. That's just what an evil pervert would say! We need moderate conservatives (handsome and remarkably virile upstanding citizens, as I've always said ) to do more to point out how ridiculous this stuff is, and to ask believers to think about who's telling them this stuff and why.

For balance, of course this applies to the left too. For fairness, not nearly as much and I'd feel disingenuous if I pretended otherwise - I don't believe that because I'm liberal, I'm liberal in part because I believe that. Still, any members of Antifa reading this who think that me disagreeing with conservatives in any minute way indicates wider support for physical violence, no. No. GTFO.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2017, 10:41 Quboid

Meeeeeeeeeeeerry Christmas!  

General Discussion > Best Game of 2017
3. Re: Best Game of 2017 Dec 24, 2017, 00:52 Quboid

NMS is good now? It dropped off my radar very quickly, aside from all the controversy it didn't look very interesting. Just a load of inventory warning. If this has been fleshed out, I might pick it up when it's very cheap.

GotY 2017: Cities Skylines, again.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 11:52 Quboid

You're right Verno, I'm not helping. Sorry to you and other moderate conservatives, and to everyone wanting sensible discussion. There's a point I could have made but I chose to vent instead.

Beamer wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 11:18:
Moderates in America have become overwhelmingly non-moderate.

The country, as a whole, has slid kind of further right, but our population has never fit so neatly into categories as both sides move from moderate to party lines.

I'm glad I'm not that foolish. I'm just frustrated by those who are... Thinking2

Edit:
Yeeeah, although, I'm sorry for being insulting but bullshit is bullshit and this is bullshit:

Yeah well, that's not what you said and frankly I think you said exactly what you really meant.
I said what I meant, but it was you who cut the quote mid-sentence to alter the context and make it seem more insulting than it was.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2017, 12:05.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 10:59 Quboid

I don't think moderate conservatives are dumb, I think conservative voices have become overwhelmingly non-moderate. I'm not talking about impeachment, I'm not making "do this or you're that" arguments, I'm not trying to browbeat anyone, and I'm not expecting you to champion my morals. I'm not expecting to convert anyone. I'm grumpy and I shouldn't be divisive but man, you've got way bigger problems than me - and I mean problems from a moderate conservative point of view, not my own.

(I thought you'd replied before I wrote any of this, so I moved it to this new reply.)

There won't be results if many Republicans get their way and you're helping whether you realise it or not. Don't like hypothetical? What do you think of this Matthew Peterson fellow, are you happy with that? You don't need to rail in OotB and you certainly don't need to prove a damn thing to me. Just ... if you're a moderate conservative and you're sleeping well, wake up.

Shit, you've got *more* problems than I do. If Trumpism gets rejected, conservatism is set back a generation and I'm probably happier. If it's accepted, moderate conservatism is dead.

42. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 10:15 Quboid

Maybe check the rest of the sentence you cut off? It's not about your intentions, it's about your actions - it doesn't matter what you agree with or disagree with if you say nothing.

Those who vote Republican but who say nothing are represented by Trump, by Conway, by Fox News, by WaltC. By Russia, as much as these people would like us to dismiss them as some sort of bogeyman. It's clearly a case of "how much" influence Russia has over your President and people like you, maybe including you, just want the whole thing dropped.

What are you going to do when all this comes to a head and Trump gets cornered? When he fires Mueller or declares war or heaven knows what? Will you take a stand then? What if the Republican establishment gets the enquiry shut down before it comes to a conclusion? What are your priorities then? If you're OK with your nation's biggest rival having influence in the White House, sorry but you are simply dumb. If you're not OK with this, why not object now? You're making treason a partisan issue by your implied complicity.

"Even in the RollinThundr days"? The Republicans were a hell of a lot better in those days. In those days, the Tea Party was a lunatic fringe.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2017, 10:43.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 06:38 Quboid

WaltC wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 16:06:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 15:51:
The house passed the rich people bailout.
obligatory

I won't belabor the point, but hopefully you are aware that the (D) party *always* opposes any tax cuts that are presented? Always. And their reasoning is exactly the same, every time--because some "rich people" might benefit. That's all the (D)s care about, really. If three rich people save $20 but 30,000,000 middle-class Americans save several hundred dollars + in taxes paid, you can count on the (D) party to oppose it. And why? (D)s reason that the more of your money *they control* through high taxation, the more power they have in the government and the less power you and I as individuals have. The "rich people bailout" is a scam that the (D)s faithfully use to try and derail every tax cut that comes along these days. Vote (D) in the US if you like and admire the Cuba-Venezuela style of governing--the (D)s certainly do...;) Everyone is dirt poor in those countries ("equal") except the upper crust ruling elites who are all rich. The (D)s in Washington want to be those elites--I think they dream of it every night.

Republican voters are the dumbest people around. Even the moderates who say nothing, the mentality shown here is defining you and it is governing you. Morons who lap up conspiracy theories that scare them into voting for the people who spread the conspiracies - and those who aren't choose to say nothing, so stand for nothing, so mean nothing.

*grumble grumble*

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
16. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 19, 2017, 09:56 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 07:52:
Beamer wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 07:40:
Retired wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 07:38:
Twitter starts selectivity enforcing tougher anti-hate rules of accounts they don't agree with.

FTFY

Brietbart much?
Brietbart Only, but with Fox Noise as backup in case Brietbart accidentally publishes real news.

Hardly likely, but how would Bats recognise real news anyway? He's weird, he generally seems more intelligent than your usual MAGA moron but he consistently repeats the same discredited reports, getting things clearly, objectively wrong. I'm guessing he's already abandoned this thread after being called out, as usual.

I hope he's not falling into the trap of having to believe ever more extreme stuff because he gets proven wrong and doesn't have the guts to accept that the people his radio rants about were actually correct. A Mashiki-trap, as some people are calling it.

News Comments > Obsidian Denounces Loot Boxes and Microtransactions
11. Re: Obsidian Denounces Loot Boxes and Microtransactions Dec 16, 2017, 14:35 Quboid

Slick wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 11:47:
I wonder if this game will have any sort of post-launch DLC that they charge money for. Call me a literalist, but if you charge $14.99 for content not included in the original vanilla game... that's a fucking microtransaction.

It's a transaction, but it's not micro. I'd say something over $5 and largely self-contained (so more than just a weapon that affects the main game's balance, for example) is fine, as long as it's not filling a glaring omission in the base game.

36. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 15, 2017, 02:12 Quboid

NKD wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 02:05:
ventry wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 01:47:
NKD wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 01:04:
For all your dismissiveness about people "carrying on like a spoiled child" it's pretty much the tactic that Trump has proven works.

The funny thing is that when Obama got voted POTUS we (in Australia) didn't hear anything like we are hearing now from the losing side.

You probably didn't hear it because right wingers mostly keep to Fox News and Breitbart and other shitholes you're probably not interested in visiting.

Obama was a secret Kenyan Muslim Atheist, according to these people. He was going to take all our guns away, or put us all in FEMA concentration camps. And for "mainstream" news where they couldn't bring themselves to report on fabricated conspiracy theories, they had to really really dig for "legit" scandals. Remember when Fox News spilled their spaghetti about him wearing a tan suit to some briefing, or ordering dijon mustard, or saluting with a coffee in his hand one time? Or giving someone a fist bump and spending a whole week arguing about whether it was a "terrorist jab" or some such?

Right wing media spent the entire 8 years of Obama's presidency losing their collective fucking marbles and building up steam which helped them win in 2016.

That's an astonishing claim, ventry has one hell of an echo chamber. It might be literally true because there was less social media in 2008 but even in very different circumstances (a good candidate clearly winning a full mandate) there was absolutely unprecedented backlash against Obama.

Reminds me of this:
The president’s supporters have stood by him even as he has evinced every quality they described as a deal breaker under Obama. Conservatives attacked Obama’s lack of faith; Trump is a thrice-married libertine who has never asked God for forgiveness. They accused Obama of being under malign foreign influence; Trump eagerly accepted the aid of a foreign adversary during the election. They accused Obama of genuflecting before Russian President Vladimir Putin; Trump has refused to even criticize Putin publicly. They attacked Obama for his ties to Tony Rezko, the crooked real-estate agent; Trump’s ties to organized crime are too numerous to name. Conservatives said Obama was lazy; Trump “gets bored and likes to watch TV.” They said Obama’s golfing was excessive; as of August Trump had spent nearly a fifth of his presidency golfing. They attributed Obama’s intellectual prowess to his teleprompter; Trump seems unable to describe the basics of any of his own policies. They said Obama was a self-obsessed egomaniac; Trump is unable to broach topics of public concern without boasting. Conservatives said Obama quietly used the power of the state to attack his enemies; Trump has publicly attempted to use the power of the state to attack his enemies. Republicans said Obama was racially divisive; Trump has called Nazis “very fine people.” Conservatives portrayed Obama as a vapid celebrity; Trump is a vapid celebrity.

There is virtually no personality defect that conservatives accused Obama of possessing that Trump himself does not actually possess. This, not some uncanny oracular talent, is the reason Trump’s years-old tweets channeling conservative anger at Obama apply so perfectly to his own present conduct.

34. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 15, 2017, 01:59 Quboid

ventry wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 01:47:
Quboid wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 01:28:
(including ventry, obviously)
BBZZZZZTTTTT!!!
Wrong but, thanks for playing.
A few posts ago I CLEARLY stated that I have no love for Trump.

Yes, that's why I specifically included you: because I don't believe you. You parrot the same nonsense in the same style as Trump supporters and if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

32. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 15, 2017, 01:28 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 17:32:
ventry wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 17:22:
ROFLMAO!!!

Over a year has past and the "Trump Derangement Syndrome" is STILL bringing the LOLZ.

I have no love for Trump BUT, he WON. Hillary LOST. Suck it up buttercup. My candidate lost here in Australia last time but, I wont lower myself to carry on like you lot. I get to vote again in 2019.

The Washington ComPost. Right up there with CNN bringing the fake news to help snowflakes melt.

What was the quote from that twat on CNN?? Ah yes. "Russia is a big nothing burger"

We, in Australia, are laughing long and loud at your continuing idiocy.

I don't think anyone here likes Clinton, but when someone starts saying "suck it up, buttercup," you get a good feel for the kind of person they are.

Trump supporters' (including ventry, obviously) fascination with Clinton is quite something. It's been 13 months since she has been relevant to anything. No one likes her, no one cares.

It's almost like they have nothing else. Like, in 13 months, their man has done nothing except embarrass them and help billionaires with tax and regulation cuts. 13 months of moving the goal posts with regards to Russia, ever more revelations that show these supporters to be gullible idiots, liars or both.

DangerDog, I can't take you seriously. Do you honestly still think Trump's inauguration crowd was bigger than Obama's?

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 14, 2017, 11:22 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 10:55:
The CIA is wrong, the NSA is wrong, the FBI is corrupt and wrong and all of the intelligence agencies are unreliable.
But Putin is to be trusted. That's what Fuckface Von Clownstick ACTUALLY BELIEVES says publicly.

thanks President Obama!

FTFY.

26. Re: Doug Jones takes it in Alabama!!! Dec 13, 2017, 02:30 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 22:24:
Pigeon wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 21:55:
It's certainly a nice thought, but betting against stupid seems a quick way to lose money lately. What I want to know is if a state can be dishonorably discharged from the union.
So now Moore is banned from a mall in Alabama and the US Senate.
Alabama, for once you done good.

Leaving the Senate is the only good thing Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III has ever done in his 70 years.

I'm surprised by this, I thought Moore would do well thanks to people who wouldn't want to admit their support in polls. Moore is refusing to concede, who'd have thought he'd ignore legally binding numbers and refuse to take no for an answer? Trump's reaction should be interesting, when he gets his phone back from his handler. There's no way he wrote that tweet.

It's an interesting result. The GOP basically backed Moore because he was their only shot at winning the seat and any moral qualms would soon be forgotten, as we've seen with Trump. As a national indicator a hard red state voting blue is a big surprise but it's a lot more about Moore than Trump, and doesn't signal a huge backlash against the President - just that Moore was awful.

So it's Steve Bannon that I feel sorry for ... ! He backed Moore out of ideological choice, not the usual morally bankrupt pragmatism, and he probably helped persuade Trump to back Moore. I presume Luther Strange would have won easily, and that Bannon's support won Moore the primary, so Bannon is the guy responsible for getting Alabama to vote for a Democrat. He cost the Republicans a safe seat and embarrassed Trump.

I think this says little about Trump but a lot about Steve Bannon.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2017, 03:05.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: RAM Matters: How Much Do You Need for Gaming? 4GB, 8GB, 16GB or 32GB. Dec 11, 2017, 21:26 Quboid

Creston wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 17:40:
In any case, MajorD was asking 32 vs 16, and it's completely ridiculous to spend 200 dollars more on 32GB of memory for the purpose of gaming. There is literally no difference.

I recently hit big performance problems with 16GB RAM, in Cities Skylines with many additional assets from the Workshop. It's unusual, but if you play something particularly RAM intensive it is worth checking how much you're using now.

News Comments > Ultimate Fishing Simulator Early Access
11. Re: Ultimate Fishing Simulator Early Access Dec 3, 2017, 01:41 Quboid

Total-Khaos wrote on Dec 3, 2017, 01:13:
rawbelly wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 22:27:
So this is the great fishing sim I've been herring all about.

If you have any more of those puns, let minnow.

Why? I don't mean to put you in your plaice but just wondering, is there even one sole reason you ask or is it just for the halibut?

17. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 2, 2017, 12:14 Quboid

Orogogus wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 04:15:
Quboid wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 21:42:
Do you think it's impossible for propaganda to reference actual events, even if they had been represented accurately?

More to the point, they're not represented accurately. The three videos contain lies and mischaracterizations, and ignore context.
Snopes

I know, but that's a fact and I'm guessing that to people like that, facts are just elitist opinions. Instead, I went with what I think is the underlying logic error.

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 1, 2017, 21:42 Quboid

Razumen wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 20:48:
So posting videos of events that actually happened is "propaganda" and "hate speech" now? LOL

What about all the users that tweet for violence against men and white people? Why doesn't Twitter have to make excuses for that?

Of course we all know the answer already.

Do you think it's impossible for propaganda to reference actual events, even if they had been represented accurately?

Why do you think Twitter isn't commenting about those supposed tweets? I don't know what you're thinking but it appears that you think white males are discriminated against because they're not being discriminated against as much.

Has there ever actually been any indication that Twitter treats tweets advocating violence against white and/or male people differently to other violent tweets?

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 17:29 Quboid

BobBob wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 16:11:
An ethical / legal scenario and question:

Someone stole a winning lottery number and somehow took the multi-million dollar cash prize and started a controversial company that hired 1000s of people. Then the company went public on the stock exchange. Later on ... The lotto commission finds the person committed fraud. The real winner didn't get his/her multi-million award. What can or should be done about that?

Hi BobBob, long time no see.

I can't find information on it now, but I seem to remember that a few years ago a case was resolved in France about a valuable (I think worth over €100M) company that was acquired by fraud. The court cases took so long, the statute of limitations passed and the alleged (and fairly obviously guilty) perpetrators kept everything. Sorry I can't confirm the details, anyone else remember this?

6202 Comments. 311 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo