Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5567 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 29, 2016, 18:28 Quboid

I could probably get used to it but for anything except huge displays like a 50" monitor it seems pointless. With my multi-monitor setup, I like having separate flat panels.

Most of us have used curved screens - old convex CRTs - and I'm sure I'm not the only person to find the switch to flat CRT or LCD screens to be a bit weird for a while. I think if I tried a concave display for a short time, I would dislike it for the same reason.

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 17:19:
Blue wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 16:09:
Darks wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 15:10:
There is no need for a curved screen monitor for gaming monitors of this size. its a gimmick that servers no purpose to allow you to see the game any better. I've looked at them and I personally cant see any reason for them.

Here's a counterpoint: When using two monitors, almost everyone skews them a bit to have the outside edges be a little closer to them (myself included). If this mirrors what everyone naturally does with that much screen real estate, maybe it's for a reason.

counter-counterpoint: Two curved screens side by side (even with one at an angle so you don't have to turn your head Exorcist style) is going to cause a bizarre optical problem where the two screens curve up toward the joining part. While our focal points are spherical stereoptic, we also rely heavily on our peripheral vision which curved screens are absolutely terrible for. If Samsung could bring out the bendable OLED technology they keep demoing for monitors with a flexible frame at a reasonable price, that would solve the issue entirely.

I don't follow. Do you mean that things will look strange if the curved monitors are not positioned so that the curve continues smoothly with all parts of all monitors the same distance from the user?

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
66. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 29, 2016, 08:57 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 08:05:
Quboid wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 07:28:
Dacron wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 03:23:
Yep, 25k+, he just acts as if because no "thumbs up" are featured that they don't exist.

Some people just want to push their narrative.

It's very obvious he meant the featured reviews on the store page, not the review page. You're not proving how wrong he is, you're proving how much you missed his point - that negative reviews are getting flagged as helpful much more often.

I don't think that was very obvious. I never scroll down far enough to see reviews (or read Steam reviews, period), so I didn't even know there were reviews on the front page.

The top rated review has 70 hours in. Man, 70 hours in 1 week for something you hate. 70 hours is a long, long, long time, and putting it in a week (or 2, whichever)... insanity. A lot of people don't even spend 70 hours in their jobs in that period of time. A lot of people don't put that into 99% of the games they play in their lifetimes.

This looks like a 4-6 hour game, definitely not a 70. And, for that, I'm going to pull a CJ here and say $9.99. But they could have had me for $19.99 at launch day.

DangerDog said the Steam page, I would assume that is the main store page even if there wasn't another reason - which is that his statement is clearly correct if you take that interpretation and so clearly incorrect if you assume he meant the review page that a moment of critical thinking would make the meaning clear to anyone familiar with Steam's review system.

It's not pushing a narrative so much as falling into one, taking the most tenuous interpretations so as to disagree as much as possible.

- Quboid

60. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 29, 2016, 07:28 Quboid

Dacron wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 03:23:
VaranDragon wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 02:52:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 00:55:
Dacron wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 18:02:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 17:12:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 11:20:
With all the complaints and negative reviews, NMS is doing a fine job staying in the number 1 spot

not a single thumbs up on the steam page for the game either.

NMS has 25k+ "thumbs up" reviews on its steam page.

on the steam page all of the reviews were thumbs down (visible), along with all the false advertisement material - love that e3 video right there up front and center.

Hello Games has stolen the crown from Gearbox as far as I'm concerned.

Ok just fired up Steam to check and here are some facts: 42% of all steam reviews show a positive "thumbs up" reaction. Since there are 59 106 reviews up (as of this writing) if we use some maths we can quickly work out that there are 24 825 positive reviews and 34 281 negative reviews for this game on Steam.

Yep, 25k+, he just acts as if because no "thumbs up" are featured that they don't exist.

Some people just want to push their narrative.

It's very obvious he meant the featured reviews on the store page, not the review page. You're not proving how wrong he is, you're proving how much you missed his point - that negative reviews are getting flagged as helpful much more often.

- Quboid

51. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 28, 2016, 23:57 Quboid

I think Jim Sterling pretty much nails it. This goes beyond PR bullshit or whether or not you like the actual game or did/didn't see most of the problems a galaxy away, Sean 'Molyneux' Murray fundamentally misrepresented the game.

Projects change in development, that's inevitable, but it should be their responsibility to have the correct objective facts out there. If they say there is multiplayer (which he did) and then they decide to cut multiplayer, they are knowingly leaving objectively incorrect information out there.

I didn't notice it was listed as single player on Steam. Was this the case before release? Even if it was, that's an inadequate correction.

Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 21:48:
Beamer wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 21:19:
When Matt Damon says his new movie is the best movie he's ever made, do you get furious if it isn't as good as whatever movie of his you like best?

I'd imagine if Matt Damon says that his movie is "going to have five real car chases, a threesome with Scarlet Johanssen and Kate Upton, and a skyscraper shootout that will make Die Hard look like a Teletubbies episode! It will redefine the entire action genre!" and when his movie comes out there's no action and it's basically Tootsie II, people would probably be pretty pissed, yeah.

So it's basically Suicide Squad and the Joker's scenes in the trailer.

- Quboid

News Comments > Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns
13. Re: Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns Aug 28, 2016, 22:32 Quboid

Did these actually fail? The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot presumably did as it's only lasting a year but for all I know, the other two might have had successful and profitable runs.

These games are closing because they're not profitable now - that doesn't mean they never were.

- Quboid

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 28, 2016, 16:06 Quboid

Alt-right thinks them being considered a fringe is proof that they're not a fringe. Conspiracy theory logic.

Don't worry Task, you can trust the Russian government's own news network to be honest and trustworthy and definitely not censor anything ... apparently.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2016, 16:52.

- Quboid

News Comments > Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns
6. Re: Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns Aug 28, 2016, 15:51 Quboid

deqer wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 14:33:
What did they expect from F2P projects? That people would enjoy grinding? lol. noob company.

Did these games use a different business model to most F2P games, that work on the opposite principle?

- Quboid

News Comments > Planet Coaster Preorders
2. Re: Planet Coaster Preorders Aug 26, 2016, 20:57 Quboid

I've seen a few creations in the alpha on YouTube - really impressive stuff. Parkitect also looks promising but this is one I'm most interested in.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 26, 2016, 15:48 Quboid

Just as long as my lamplighter job is secure!

Technology replacing jobs isn't a long term problem but I think there could be short term issues. If a large number of people's jobs become obsolete quite quickly, there's a spike in unemployment and social unrest; i.e. the return of Luddites.

- Quboid

News Comments > Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews
71. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews Aug 26, 2016, 11:48 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 06:53:
Quboid wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 18:40:
Actually yes, please do. I presume you're also referring to that AVGN argument and to be fair, I was too hasty to call him sexist. That remains the most likely explanation, but with him I don't know for sure.

I only have a vague idea what a kafkatrap is; calling someone sexist because they deny being sexist. That is circular logic and would be wrong if it happened, which it did not.

No, I was talking about a few people. Not you in general. But you're right, that's exactly what a kafkatrap is. If a person turns around and says "we need xyz thing(be it forced quotas, or whatever else) because reasons to get women into an industry" to get people into the industry that's wrong. That's openly promoting a sexist pov, someone like me who supports merit, believes in a meritocracy the only people that should be hired for something are those that a) want to be there. b) have the skills to do the job and show that they're the top.

If it comes down to two people regardless of their sex/race/whatever, then they should face off for the job and prove that they're the best candidate. In the industry, the easiest would be a code off. In politics? Open debates in front of a group of their peers.

Make sense? Or am I so tired that I'm forgetting what this was all about?

I think you are forgetting what this was about. It was about how you dislike people who disagree with you calling you racist/sexist/etc and how you don't do exactly that.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 24, 2016, 15:39 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 15:26:
No I mean they shouldn't be permitted to do it in the first place because inevitably someone sues and wins and then they have to stop doing what they nev er should have done to begin with and meantime a whole bunch of time and tax dollars have been needlessly wasted that could be going to more important things. It should work like...

CBP to Congress: Hi! Can we do XYZ?
Congress to CBP: Hell no, that's illegal as fuck! Ask some dumb shit like that again and you're fired!

It'd put an end to these sorts of shenanigans PDQ.

No it wouldn't, because congress answers to that crowd of hypocrites that I mentioned earlier.

CBP to Congress: Hi! Can we do XYZ?
Congress to CBP: Hell no, that's illegal as fuck! Ask some dumb shit like that again and you're fired!
Fox News, etc: Argh! Muslims! Terrorists! 9/11! They want to force their way of life on us!
Congress: Ugh, fine, you can force your way of life on them.

- Quboid

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 24, 2016, 15:32 Quboid

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 13:52:
Eh, religious zealots of any sort are dangerous animals that cannot be reasoned with. And right now we have a very specific religion that's being used an excuse to murder people, so ANYONE following that religion is looked upon with suspicion.
I just don't get why people would look at what's happening and say "ehh, I still want to believe in this religion that is THE reason my native country has gone to shit, and why we're abysmally behind the rest of the world technologically, and is the root of WHY I RAN TO THE U.S. IN THE FIRST PLACE". If you refuse to question the validity of your religion, no matter what, you are a zealot.

That said, they're going to catch zero terrorists with this move. "Oh sure lemme give you my Twitter handle where I post daily about being excited to kill Americans!". They'll have a fake account or just say they don't have a Twitter account. Simple as that, how did this idea get past the "Hey, why don't we do this?" stage?

If one Muslim kills 20 other Muslims at an Iraqi market, why would other Iraqi Muslims see that as an attack by Islam any more than they'd see it as an attack on Islam? Religion isn't why the Middle East is backward, lack of resources and invaders (from the Mongols to Bush/Blair) are. Muslim refugees started the renaissance, is Islam the reason why we are technologically ahead?

Religion is just a tool that greedy people use to control stupid people. It is truly responsible for very little in this world, good or bad. Hell, Bush said he invaded Iraq on God's command, is Christianity to blame for hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqi civilians? Is Christianity to blame for exactly what many people said would happen happening, which is for something worse to take Saddam's place?

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2016, 15:48.

- Quboid

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched
36. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched Aug 24, 2016, 13:58 Quboid

Atomic wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:47:
Yet your reply elevates the conversation considerably?

This attack you've leveled against CJ is a clear case of a violation of forum rules, but nothing will be done, because nin.

(Not defending the content of CJ's post, I've just grown tired of the different set of rules on display here).

His reply didn't help. Bad nin, go and sit in the corner. But nin gets posts deleted here too. Maybe Blue cuts more slack for someone being fed up than other offences (and nin is not the only person who is fed up with CJ_Parker's endless spoilt whining about Steam Sale $4.99 GOTY yadda yadda over any feature he doesn't like). Maybe Blue's also fed up. Maybe he hasn't seen that post, did you report it?

- Quboid

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 24, 2016, 13:48 Quboid

That's irrelevant to what I said and the complete opposite of my own beliefs.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
18. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 24, 2016, 13:20 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:31:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 07:48:
Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 23:20:
Agreed. The state of journalism has become deplorable over the last few decades. It's virtually all editorializing and scandal and e-tainment now. It used to be just about the facts. Most of it was quite dry, but it also fell in line with the public's right to know. The public has a right - and a need - to know if a serial killer is on the loose in their hometown. They do not, however, need to know who's schtuping who. Why does the public need to know that? If I had my way, rules would be a hell of a lot tighter for all news organizations. Christ, just look at post 9/11 when the so-called objective media was cheerleading Bushco's drum beat for war. Too many people have had their lives ruined, or even lost, because of irresponsible media. So yes, good riddance to bad rubbish like Gawker.

WTF, Cutter. If you want stricter rules for the press, move to Russia. It's not hard to find countries out their that limit freedom of the press. If you find that so fucking attractive, move.

Bonus: Game prices and vodka are hella cheaper in Russia than in Canada.

Oh give me a fucking break. I dearly hope you and your get fucked over by the media someday simply because they think screwing you over is a great way to make some money and then see how you feel. As far as I'm concerned the press shouldn't have a fucking right to anything. People's right to privacy trumps theirs any day. So if you hate people's right to privacy so much then YOU move to fucking Russia where they don't have any. At least in America that's still considered a reasonable expectation.

You posted FIVE MINUTES EARLIER your wonderment at government agencies getting away with stupid stuff. It took you 5 minutes to go from "I never understand how these agencies can just do stuff like this" to "the press shouldn't have a fucking right to anything". Do you think these aren't connected?

You are astonishing.

- Quboid

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 24, 2016, 12:53 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:26:
Uh 4th Amendment anyone? I never understand how these agencies can just do stuff like this and not get smacked down immediately for it.

They just cry terrorism and impressionable people will happy give up their freedom and principles. I take it you've seen the sort of person - particularly in this US election - who wants to deny people their freedom of religion (or even deny people of other religions their lives) all in the name of freedom and "live and let live [by my rules]". The "You're not allowed to believe that because forcing your values on me is a serious problem" crowd. Awful hypocrites.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 23, 2016, 21:40 Quboid

It's been surprising how many seemingly very short sighted people celebrated this. Someone very rich can shut down a news organisation they have a grudge against ... no way that precedent could ever bit non-billionaires in the ass!  

- Quboid

News Comments > Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews
68. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews Aug 23, 2016, 18:40 Quboid

Actually yes, please do. I presume you're also referring to that AVGN argument and to be fair, I was too hasty to call him sexist. That remains the most likely explanation, but with him I don't know for sure.

I only have a vague idea what a kafkatrap is; calling someone sexist because they deny being sexist. That is circular logic and would be wrong if it happened, which it did not.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2016, 18:56.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 22:29 Quboid

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 21:36:
I need feedback.
A new employee asked me what the Amazon smile is on the side of all the boxes at work. I need a really GOOD response, because my 'It's a penis or a smile... I mean who wouldn't be smiling to get a box full of penis's" but I think that may be a little over the top, and I fseriously told her that I wasn't sure but I would find out for her.
It's my "Friday" so my brain is turned off till Thursday, so looking for some brainpower to come up with something clever. And at least a PG version and a R/X version

Do you mean the arrow on the Amazon logo? Supposedly it points from A to Z to indicate that Amazon stock everything.

- Quboid

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Season Pass Details
2. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Season Pass Details Aug 22, 2016, 18:19 Quboid

What are chipsets, premium currency?

I hope the balance-breaking 'bonus' stuff can be turned off.

- Quboid

5567 Comments. 279 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo