Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5974 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Anno 1800 Revealed
5. Re: Anno 1800 Revealed Aug 22, 2017, 16:49 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 15:50:
Quboid wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 12:44:
I like the past settings much more than the future ones so this is a good start. I hope it's not a more linear, story-driven game this time.

Random maps, story mode inside the endless mode like in 2205, but aside that, enemy AI on the same world, ship battles, diplomacy and trading

Game is not yet feature complete though, some things may end up out some may end up in.. we'll see I guess. Also far as I understand, that means no story driven mini-campaigns with specific goals, but (real) multi-stage long-term monuments are back

That at least, say the German Anno guys that played the alpha before GamesCom

Good! I just want a custom skirmish mode on a single map. If they want to build a plot around this, that can work out fine for me. I got the impression the future ones, 2070 and 2250, were more the other way around, the story-telling dictated everything else.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Anno 1800 Revealed
2. Re: Anno 1800 Revealed Aug 22, 2017, 12:44 Quboid

I like the past settings much more than the future ones so this is a good start. I hope it's not a more linear, story-driven game this time.  

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

News Comments > Into the Black
29. Re: Into the Black Aug 21, 2017, 01:40 Quboid

This has been an interesting read. I'm torn on this issue. I'd like to back Orogogus's dogmatic point of view were privately held views and actions outside of work are ignored, and that it is a slippery slope. However, I feel like in the real world, Beamer's pragmatism will win out.

An employer isn't going to fire half their employees because these employees don't like a Nazi. Even if it's just one; "Sorry Mrs. Goldberg but because you gave the stink eye to the Nazi who celebrates your grandparents getting incinerated, we're going to have to let you go" ... I don't think so. There are always limits.

So then the slippery slope is inevitable, and if it can't be avoided it needs to be managed. How? The only way I can think of is laws in line with society's sensibilities; and judges, lawyer fees, loopholes, and all jazz.

Orogogus, what about criminals? Should past crimes, with punishment served, be ignored? Or does the fact that the person acted on their problematic beliefs prove that they are a risk?

22. Re: Into the Black Aug 19, 2017, 19:11 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 23:47:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 16:07:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 03:42:
And it doesn't help if you just wanna fight terrorism, you have to fight anti-fa, which is the primary reason so much hate exists nowadays against cops as well.

Are you joking? Seriously, you think 'antifa' is the reason people hate the police? People hate and fear the police in the US because they are often racist, murderous criminals, who treat civilians as the enemy. Most US citizens don't have a clue what/who antifa even is.

Ps.: I think doxxing is equal to any other hate crime.

*Eyeroll*

I don't condone doxxing, but saying it's equal to lynchings, murders, bombings etc. is ridiculous.

The false equivalency shit is getting out of hand.

In Germany, AntiFA is anti-establishment, anti any-goverment structure. So yeah. They are worse than Nazi's. Nazis just wanna be racist without being stopped and get violent when they do get stopped, Anti-FA would happily kill cops or anyone in governmental power just to make a point. Google RAF , but beyond that you'd need to speak German to understand where I am coming from there. Needless to say, ANTIFA is a terror organization. They thing they stand above the law, they attack anyone they don't agree with, and just because ANTIFA calls someone a Nazi does not mean he/she is one. ANTIFA isn't beyond calling it's own people NAZIS....

And secondly, Doxxing ruins peoples lives fundamentally, they live in constant fear, they need police protection, need to move, change jobs, change identity and not just them, but their families, children and relatives too. To me that is a far worse hate-crime than murder. Murder doesn't hurt the dead person much beyond that, doxxing hurts you an entire life.

I am curious, what part of doxxing isn't a hate crime to you.

Antifa don't seem to see the hypocrisy of violently suppressing anyone they declare to be fascist. Are Antifa considered left-wing in Germany? They seem more like anarchists to me, I'm not sure if the connection is invented to demonise the left or they are far-left.

I agree with the Antifa criticism but not your doxxing view. It seems to me to be miles away from murder. Does it even cause long-term problems? (The reason one got doxxed might, like employers knowing you're a Nazi, but does the doxxing its self?)

News Comments > Cities: Skylines - Concerts Released
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 19, 2017, 18:55 Quboid

LiTh wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 12:42:
So of the dozen DLC which are ones are must have from a gameplay standpoint?

The proper expansion packs are Mass Transit, After Dark, Snowfall, Natural Disasters (in descending order of importance). I'm not sure any of those are must-have. The most important features of these expansions were in the accompanying free patches. It's the workshop that makes this game, I presently have about 100 mods and 1000 assets (buildings, trees, etc).

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2017, 19:22.

13. Re: Into the Black Aug 18, 2017, 08:21 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 03:42:
The most absurd thing is that I can't even disagree with Trump. He said there are bad people on both sides, violent people on both sides, and that is a fact.

Yes, it's more his false equivalence that I object to, he said that to appeal to white supremacists. This was a white supremacist march, where everyone was either literally a Nazi or close enough to be willing to march along side them. There were no fine people. So the counter-protest was anti-Nazi and anti-white supremacist. These weren't all fine people, but they were all there for a good cause. These are only equal to Nazi sympathisers.

4. Re: Into the Black Aug 17, 2017, 23:12 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 21:17:
For all the hardcore idiots on the left that think there's no problem with the antifascist assholes out there....

Kyle Quinn Hid At A Friend's House After Being Misidentified On Twitter As A Racist

And that's how easy it can happen. One if you ever run into one of these motherfuckers on the street with a minor altercation and they decide to make your life miserable by saying you're a nazi or some such shit? This is precisely why they need to be shut down hard. Hope this guy can sue the shit out of everyone involved.

That stuff is messed up. Mob justice is no justice. The Reddit Sherlocks are a bad joke too.

I feel like there's going to be a pretty big domestic terrorism incident in the US and antifa are as likely as the far right to do it. Given the far right's propensity for accusing their enemies of doing what they're engaging in, I wouldn't put it past them to stage it (although it will take more than the inevitable ideologically-convenient conspiracy theories to convince me).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2017, 17:30 Quboid

Why is that dog on Michael Stipe's lap?  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 16, 2017, 23:00 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 20:19:
No,Walt. It's because ISPs are monopolies and duopolies that they need regulation. Stop listening to Alex Jones. He doesn't believe the shit he spews. Neither should you.

The lack of competition is probably a more serious issue, but Net Neutrality is something. I'm curious as to what WaltC actually thinks Net Neutrality is.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 16, 2017, 16:27 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 14:23:
And as in all things orange dipshit world, the dotus has disbanded the Business Council, because you know, JOBS!!!

SAD, Sad, sad president.

#Ignoredon and let the shadow government do its thing. President Obama is still running things, get over it.
We are not sore losers but we are disgusted patriotic Americans. And guess what, we are the majority.

He disbanded one, after the other told him they were disbanding. Then he lied to save orange face.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/trump-business-advisory-council-to-disband-1502904005

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2017, 18:16 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 17:35:
Creston wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 17:31:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 14:25:
Cutter wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 13:36:
That's the problem with those old buildings. It costs far more to repair and maintain them then it would be to scrap them and build something new and efficient. It's just a huge waste of money for a public service building.

Have you never heard of sentimental value? It's not an "old building." For Londoners and England in general, Big Ben (the building and the clock) remains a part of the culture and heritage for over 150 years. I guarantee you if you asked any Londoner what you just said, they would be appalled at such a thought.

I lived in London for six months, and very few Londoners had much good to say about the Houses of Parliament and the shitheels that infest them. Big Ben, yes, but I think that if given the choice, the good people of London / the UK would choose NOT to pay SEVEN BILLION POUNDS for the upkeep of a building.
£7B buys a lot of rounds at the pub. Given the choice which would they choose?

It would be nice to fix up the existing buildings, even if it was expensive. But this expensive? It feels like we're being taken for a ride and that bothers me.

Brexit dominates everything and it's hard to look at any big expenditure as wise with so much uncertainty about what our economy will look like a few years. It's some measure of economic stimulus, but there are higher priorities. We haven't even started buying the land for the border controls we'll need in 19 months. It feels like we're treading water until someone senior in the government acknowledges the elephant in the room: this is a terrible idea. The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2017, 09:08 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 16:41:
Trump is stupid, and can't see the game for what it is.

I don't know about the second part of that. If he wanted to distract people from his Russia connections, he's done a decent job.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2017, 16:32 Quboid

Rilcon wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 15:15:
Chances are pretty high parts of the new RPG and inventory/item system wouldn't even exist if they couldn't introduce microtransactions like this. More features are always all well and good but the money to make them has to come from somewhere.

I don't know if people realize this, but the cost of making (and marketing) a "AAA" game has risen to absurd levels, while the price of buying a game hasn't moved from the $40-60 area for over a decade, nor has the market increased much.

I understand this, I just don't care. If developers can't afford to make hugely ambitious, expensive games, they shouldn't make hugely ambitious, expensive games.

Microtransactions to skip grinding are not like cheat codes. Games aren't designed to make cheat codes as desirable as possible. Cheat codes don't give developers an incentive to deliberately make their game worse so people will pay extra to *not* have to play part of their game. They're like those impossible puzzles from games 25 years ago that made players phone a premium number to get past.

The market will probably continue to accept this so I can go swivel, but I'm not going to sympathise with these developers.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2017, 00:04 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 18:46:
MajorD wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 13:58:
Well, I must say, if Obama wasn't in such a hurry to make his mark with Obama Care (ACA), and they (Obama & Democrats) would have taken the time necessary to put a more intelligent and comprehensive plan together before shoving it down the American people's throats, maybe it wouldn't be as fucked up as it is. And now, with the Democrats and Republicans not being able to agree on anything to make the much needed improvements isn't making it any better. So, no, fuck em’ both (Democrats and Republicans).
I'll agree it is unfortunate the ACA was passed without a single GOP vote. However, if you compare the D's process on the ACA to the GOP's process on their "replacement", the D's win hands down. They worked on the ACA for 18 months, held many hearings, and allowed scores of GOP amendments. The GOP rushed their bill through in a couple of months, held no hearings, allowed no amendments, and even withheld the actual bill (even from GOP members) to the absolute minimum required by law. There is plenty of blame to go around on both sides, but I honestly believe any sane and reasonable person would agree the D's were far more accommodating and transparent than the GOP has been.

Any major legislation requires adjustments. If the GOP hasn't hell bent on opposing anything Obama did, this could have been fixed years ago. The ACA isn't perfect. But it is significantly better than anything the GOP has proposed and could be much closer to perfect if the GOP was more interested in fixing it than scoring political points with their base. I know, nearly an impossible ask for either side of the aisle, but it what it is.

This is why I don't like the "fuck 'em both' attitude. Why wouldn't a politician be as grubby as possible when their opponent looks as bad? Both parties have many problems but one is clearly more ethical and more respectful to the constitution and rule of law and as people clearly don't consider that when voting, you get a race to the bottom.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
42. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 11, 2017, 23:22 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 22:21:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 21:27:
Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 20:54:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 19:50:
GET a JOB. Stop doing drugs. Stop getting welfare. Obama is not your daddy. Here is hint for all of you Hillary loving Lib tarts. Trump is your president. Get on your knees and whoreship the greatest president to ever live. Repeat after me, I love &#10084;&#65039; big daddy Trumpster! Long live Trump!

Nice for you to stop posting negativity, anti-SC, and REMOVED posts long enough to tell us that we should worship a president, because that's a good thing.

It's hard to tell because not everyone follows their medication schedule, but I think he was being sarcastic. I don't think anyone on either side tells people to worship their guy. Usually you make your candidate out to be a reasonable person trying to do the right thing and the opposition to be insane animals.

It's hard to tell because it's the exact rhetoric you see in serious comments sections.

It's the problem with reading comments sections...

Poe's Law

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
20. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 11, 2017, 14:04 Quboid

NKD wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 13:14:
I love the random numbers Trumpians pull out of their ass with regards to voter fraud. Millions and milions of fraudulent votes yet no one can seem to find any proof or even seems to be giving a real effort at looking.

If it were true, wouldn't it be in the Republicans best interest to find the fraud and expose it? Why isn't congress pushing a full investigation, instead of this being done through the White House as a charade?

Timmeh stop sniffing the chemtrails bro. They are turning the frogs gay.

Meanwhile, Russia interferes with the US election - "WHERE'S THE PROOF?!? WE NEED MORE EVIDENCE! NUMEROUS REPORTS FROM ALL OVER THE PLACE AREN'T ENOUGH!"

Maybe Donald Trump Jr will tweet about these votes too Popcorn

News Comments > Police Simulator 18 This Year
124. Re: Police Simulator 18 This Year Jul 6, 2017, 23:50 Quboid

Quinn wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 12:23:
Quboid wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 11:22:
I should say, I mostly agree with RedEye9 et al. Regardless of whatever complexes they are prone to, these groups are victims and stirring things up is the only way they can get people talking.

Any successful protest movement will be unpopular with many in its day. If it was popular it wouldn't need a protest, the alternative to being unpopular is to be ignored which is what many want to do with BLM. It starts off reasonable, we'll listen as long as you're not violent. Actually no, we'll listen as long as you're not violent and you don't talk to us in the theatre. Wait no, we'll listen as long as you're non-violent, don't talk in the theatre and stand for the national anthem ... bullshit, now we're trying to find a way to ignore you. That doesn't make violence and rioting acceptable, but it does make it inevitable.

Would we be having this conversation if BLM didn't exist?

Dacron, that article is deeply flawed, disputing a point no one is making (poverty alone isn't the problem) and the blatant antisemitism isn't helpful.

I knew where you were coming from. For me personally, you didn't need to elaborate. Still I agree with you, which may shock people like RedEye somehow. The thing is, you were perfectly right in your earlier comment about extremisms. I believe a very large group of the protesters have an extreme view and to me, that extreme view is: "It's all the fault of white people, nothing's wrong with black people: they are perfect."

That has always been my position from the start of this discussion, that this extreme form of putting all your misery on something external -- and even in this way coming out as the open racist yourself (unless, of course, someone here don't believe white people can be the victim of racism) -- will move you nowhere but steps back. It started to touch me personally at some point, when the regressive fucktard media couldn't shut the fuck up about white privilege and chanting that same fucking rhetoric those extremists in the black community chant. "Shut the fuck up about white people" I felt, as an annoying and irrational pride for white people and their achievements boiled up. I luckily was aware of it. I hated the implications of it. I gave it a place, but didn't forget about what caused it.

I hate racism with a passion. I shouldn't need to say that. Mind you, though: I hate every fucking form of racism. Black on black, white on black, black on white, and now the new one... white on white.

I always find it hard to express myself. I'm aspergers AF, diagnosed and all, so yeah... it may come as a surprise but I can't find anything in your last comments to disagree with and I guess that says a lot about my position on the subject.

Ah, I wasn't sure if you remembered that we'd discussed this before. We've got plenty of common ground, but I don't consider a potential victim-complex as a reason to ignore times when people are actual victims. Also, victim complexes exist on all sides of issues. White nationalism looks to be little else to me.

116. Re: Police Simulator 18 This Year Jul 4, 2017, 11:22 Quboid

I should say, I mostly agree with RedEye9 et al. Regardless of whatever complexes they are prone to, these groups are victims and stirring things up is the only way they can get people talking.

Any successful protest movement will be unpopular with many in its day. If it was popular it wouldn't need a protest, the alternative to being unpopular is to be ignored which is what many want to do with BLM. It starts off reasonable, we'll listen as long as you're not violent. Actually no, we'll listen as long as you're not violent and you don't talk to us in the theatre. Wait no, we'll listen as long as you're non-violent, don't talk in the theatre and stand for the national anthem ... bullshit, now we're trying to find a way to ignore you. That doesn't make violence and rioting acceptable, but it does make it inevitable.

Would we be having this conversation if BLM didn't exist?

Dacron, that article is deeply flawed, disputing a point no one is making (poverty alone isn't the problem) and the blatant antisemitism isn't helpful.

113. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jul 3, 2017, 22:35 Quboid

I do think victim complexes are a problem with social campaigns, humans will always look for other people to blame for their own shortcomings. I see this sometimes in feminism (and I consider myself a feminist, in that I don't think women should be discriminated against ... how controversial) where the patriarchy supposedly excuses misandry. I think these groups - hell, basically all groups everywhere - are bad at introspection and dealing with their own extreme elements. These elements argue with rival extreme elements and don't have rational discussions with people they have common ground with to reach a consensus. Twitter is poison in this regard, every disagreement in 140 characters looks like a rival extreme.

With regards to "racist" being an unfairly powerful word. I agree. It means people probably aren't going to listen and the person accused becomes the accused; of course the defendant is defensive. It is thrown around too easily, it's not a trivial accusation. I draw a big distinction between ignorance-based racism (prejudice based on mistaken belief; e.g. believing everything Fox News says) and active hate-based racism (neo-Nazis, KKK, probably Steve Bannon). When someone is accused of racism, it tends to sound like an accusation of hated, even thought this often isn't the intention. I have made these mistakes, both using the accusation too quickly and not realising quite how it sounds like I'm calling them nasty rather than foolish.

That doesn't mean the accusation is wrong. Plenty of people are racist, not many know/admit it.

Anyway, there are still problems as we all agree. These groups are actual victims and reducing that would be a good thing. How? Dunno. Northern Ireland had an institutionally prejudiced (anti-Catholic) police service, the RUC. We scrapped it, created a new service, the PSNI, with proportional Catholic/Protestant officers and it got a lot better. That's pretty drastic but the biggest step, as always, was admitting we had a problem.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2017, 17:51 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 13:31:
@Redeye: LOL.

Side note: I'm trying to think of who on the Dem side is equivalent to Trump, and would it ever be possible to elect that person.

Bernie Sanders had quite a populist following, and appealed to far-left Occupy types like Trump appealed to Tea Party people. Obviously he's is a very different person but I don't think Trump could have run as a Democrat even with an appropriate campaign. Too much baggage.

Who do AntiFa idiots typically want elected, Sanders? Even after he criticised them?

5974 Comments. 299 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo