Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 6086 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ultimate Fishing Simulator Early Access
11. Re: Ultimate Fishing Simulator Early Access Dec 3, 2017, 01:41 Quboid

Total-Khaos wrote on Dec 3, 2017, 01:13:
rawbelly wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 22:27:
So this is the great fishing sim I've been herring all about.

If you have any more of those puns, let minnow.

Why? I don't mean to put you in your plaice but just wondering, is there even one sole reason you ask or is it just for the halibut?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
17. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 2, 2017, 12:14 Quboid

Orogogus wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 04:15:
Quboid wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 21:42:
Do you think it's impossible for propaganda to reference actual events, even if they had been represented accurately?

More to the point, they're not represented accurately. The three videos contain lies and mischaracterizations, and ignore context.
Snopes

I know, but that's a fact and I'm guessing that to people like that, facts are just elitist opinions. Instead, I went with what I think is the underlying logic error.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 1, 2017, 21:42 Quboid

Razumen wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 20:48:
So posting videos of events that actually happened is "propaganda" and "hate speech" now? LOL

What about all the users that tweet for violence against men and white people? Why doesn't Twitter have to make excuses for that?

Of course we all know the answer already.

Do you think it's impossible for propaganda to reference actual events, even if they had been represented accurately?

Why do you think Twitter isn't commenting about those supposed tweets? I don't know what you're thinking but it appears that you think white males are discriminated against because they're not being discriminated against as much.

Has there ever actually been any indication that Twitter treats tweets advocating violence against white and/or male people differently to other violent tweets?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 17:29 Quboid

BobBob wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 16:11:
An ethical / legal scenario and question:

Someone stole a winning lottery number and somehow took the multi-million dollar cash prize and started a controversial company that hired 1000s of people. Then the company went public on the stock exchange. Later on ... The lotto commission finds the person committed fraud. The real winner didn't get his/her multi-million award. What can or should be done about that?

Hi BobBob, long time no see.

I can't find information on it now, but I seem to remember that a few years ago a case was resolved in France about a valuable (I think worth over €100M) company that was acquired by fraud. The court cases took so long, the statute of limitations passed and the alleged (and fairly obviously guilty) perpetrators kept everything. Sorry I can't confirm the details, anyone else remember this?

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 02:33 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 22:54:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 21:02:
Well, that certainly makes me feel better about having let my Time magazine subscription to lapse recently...

Yeah, had a Time subscription in the early 90s. Good articles back then, and the only way to really stay current on events in a reasonably deep way (or Newsweek, or Insight, etc.) if you didn't read a good newspaper daily. They also had good longform stuff. Sad.

Good reporting is essential in a democracy, and I really wonder how we're going to fund our press with things going the way they are. I've been putting off subscriptions to WaPo and The Guardian. Guess I better bite that bullet.

Speaking of WaPo, here's a hell of a thing. Including the video:
www.providencejournal.com/news/20171127/woman-who-approached-washington-post-with-false-moore-tale-appears-to-be-part-of-sting

I'm sure we'll get an explanation as to how this is actually proof that the MSM is full of lies and also that we shouldn't believe accusers. Or maybe it's an elaborate double-bluff.

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 28, 2017, 01:43 Quboid

NKD wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 22:40:
Fox News broadcasts from the Mirror Universe where Hillary Clinton is President and Jimmy Carter is dead, while Ronald Reagan is alive.

There's a solution here. Get a range of media, like Fox and talk radio stations and so on, and just cut them loose. Let them say whatever their listeners want to hear and everyone else pretends it's true when talking to them. Election? Regardless of what happened, tell them the Republicans won. Any political discussion with them, everyone just agrees while Liberals look sad and mumble about how terrible it is. Squeeze out a tear if possible.

Then everyone else can run the US properly. Conservatives can get support for sane policies about small government and effective free-market healthcare while the idiots are simply told that Obamacare has been repealed.

The great thing is, the idiot fringe are 95% there and seem happy to jump the other 5%. They just need to think that it was their idea and that Liberals think it's awful.

Flawless!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2017, 01:27 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 21:57:
I didn't bother to read the article, but Ajit lies so often he would need to provide evidence he isn't simply lying about his children being harassed in attempt to generate sympathy for himself before I would believe it. That said, while Ajit is a dick and deserves whatever venom you care to spray his way, it would not be appropriate to harass his children for Ajit's actions.

Yeah, this is just nasty and doesn't help anyone but him. It's pretty mild harassment, barely targeted at his children, but that's a line you don't cross - if it's true. It's hard to think of stronger contender for second least trustworthy person in America.

But this:
Pai said in a statement, “Internet regulation activists have crossed the line by threatening and harassing my family. They should leave my family out of this and focus on debating the merits of the issue.”

That's levels of dickheadry I can't even process.

News Comments > Desert Bus VR Rolls Out
1. Re: Desert Bus VR Rolls Out Nov 27, 2017, 21:10 Quboid

Finally VR has its killer app!  

News Comments > Loot Box Stories of the Day
11. Re: Loot Box Stories of the Day Nov 24, 2017, 18:17 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 17:27:
NegaDeath wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 15:27:
Apologies if posted previously, but I just finished watching a great video on this subject and EA's role in developing the practice and thought I'd share it.

Great video. Here's one key from it: a game like BF1 costs 40 cents to make a dollar. With a microtransaction game, EA spends 20 cents to make a dollar. It's no wonder they canceled that single player Star Wars game.

Also, apparently EA's dev costs are $300M less than in 2009. They are spending less on development, while making more money. And the idea that MTs are needed to cover dev costs is mostly BS. Greed, indeed.

That's well worth watching. I'm not that optimistic but he clearly knows what he's talking about and has good reasons for his position. I blame Overwatch a bit too, it helped normalise the practise, letting EA push further faster.

I play FIFA a lot. I glanced at Ultimate Team years ago, saw it was card pack based and never looked at it again. I've never spent a penny, and didn't know how bad it had become. I wonder if I should ditch the series out of principle anyway, if Wilson lootboxes persist.

One quibble is that he, like quite a few people, dismiss things like the mass Reddit downvote as unimportant and that it's regulatory input that matters - these are connected. It was effectively a petition with two-thirds of a million people saying something needs done and regulators will be encouraged to act. Public opinion matters - at least in functioning democracies, Ajit Pai - and slactivism is better than nothing.

The thought that other publishers are mad at EA for screwing the pooch is perhaps the single funniest thing about all this.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2017, 13:17 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 13:10:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 11:54:
Darwin aoproves of the flat earthers rocket launch.

Tragically, I fear he will become a Darwin Award recipient.

Also, even if he gets high enough to see the curvature of the earth, and live to tell the tale, he may rationalize it: "The optics of the cockpit glass and atmosphere combined to distort my view!"

And if he kills himself, it will have been a NASA hit.

Reading that article ("The project received the backing of the flat-earth community in America after Hughes became a flat-Earth supporter") ... is he just bullshitting the flat-earth community to get them to pay for his rocketry hobby? That would be disgraceful conduct, definitely not at all funny.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2017, 23:33 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 22:13:
We've been over this, dude. When someone you disagree with is offended, maybe you met someone who lacks emotional maturity. When pretty much everyone you disagree with is offended, you lack emotional maturity.

Don't know you, sorry you wasted that humdinger.

What?! I'm offended!

42. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2017, 10:34 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 07:48:
You're trying too hard to be offended yet again, a common theme. Look at what he was responding to. The original poster wondered why his show was around so long and Asmodai pointed out that he had help from a woman in covering it up. His info came from the story, not his own opinion.

We've been over this, dude. When someone you disagree with is offended, maybe you met someone who lacks emotional maturity. When pretty much everyone you disagree with is offended, you lack emotional maturity.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2017, 23:00 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 20:58:
Quboid wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 18:12:
Belgium says loot boxes are gambling, wants them banned in Europe - PC Gamer

Yay!
Prepare to pay $120 US dollar for your next AAA game. yay?

I'd rather pay that than have microtransactions, never mind gambling.

News Comments > Valve Reviewing Review Reviews
18. Re: Valve Reviewing Review Reviews Nov 21, 2017, 18:42 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 15:28:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 13:04:
Statistically, the thumbs up would rate a 10/10 game and a 6/10 game the same, this is bad. A 10/10 system is all over the place and people have bias, but it doesn't matter. The aggregate of tons of reviews will be closer to the real rating than a thumbs up system would. I mean, have you seen critic movie reviews on rotten tomatoes? The most mediocre films have 80s and 90s. If you look at games on metacritic, where most of critic reviews are on a base 10 system, you get MUCH more accurate results.

My point exactly. There are a ton of games I would rate a 4/5/6 out of 10 which would give you a much better idea of whether to take a chance on buying it or not. Whereas the current system says - to me at any rate - either buy or don't buy, no middle ground.

The present system gives a score out of 100. If you want more detail from a single review, read the review. As in, the actual text. Also, reviewers can put whatever sort of score they want there.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2017, 18:19 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 15:41:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 15:24:
Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:41:
What said legislation will do is codify federal apathy into law, ensuring that the FCC can't revisit the issue down the road.

Really? And how would they do that exactly? Laws are made by congress and can be changed, amended, or killed outright by Congress as well. This kind of outright lying and editorializing is why so many people don't trust news anymore. Start reporting it, stop creating it.

It's easy to change "rules" set up by federal commissions. It's a lot harder to get a law off the books once it's there. Case in point: Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma still have anti sodomy laws still on the books.

Yeah because those states have zero desire to get rid of them. It's easy to change laws if the political will is there. A bill is introduced and then voted up or down. It's exactly what the GOP is doing with their majority right now. Reversing all the stuff the Dems did, and when they Dems get back to a majority they'll do the same. But claiming that the issue can't be revisited is an out an out lie.

It's not a lie just because you misunderstood it. For all the media's problems, people failing to comprehend what they're reading is the cause of more distrust.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2017, 18:12 Quboid

Belgium says loot boxes are gambling, wants them banned in Europe - PC Gamer

Yay!

News Comments > Valve Reviewing Review Reviews
4. Re: Valve Reviewing Review Reviews Nov 21, 2017, 12:24 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:21:
I wish they'd get rid of the stupid thumbs up/dowm BS and use a normal out of 10 sytem. We live in a base 10 world after all. And it's still the best way to get an overall feel for reception of the game.

Reviewers can use whatever rating system they want in their reviews. Using out-of-10 ratings for the actual score would mess up the aggregate score, which is by far the most important aspect of the entire review feature. With such a system, any score other than 0/10 or 10/10 is just telling the algorithm that your opinion is less important than the one-eyed fanboy who can only see the extremes.

Here's 3 hypothetical reviews, with numeric/thumb ratings:

1) Decent game, no masterpiece but fans of the genre should check it out. 6/10, thumbs up.
2) Very good game, they really listened to complaints about the previous title. 8/10, thumbs up.
3) LAME! MEDAL OF BATTLEDUTY IS FARR BETTErrr! 0/10, thumbs down.

Scores:
Numeric: 4.67/10, poor.
Thumbs: 66.67%, good.

The aggregate thumb rating is much more representative of the actual opinions expressed.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2017, 12:08 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:41:
What said legislation will do is codify federal apathy into law, ensuring that the FCC can't revisit the issue down the road.

Really? And how would they do that exactly? Laws are made by congress and can be changed, amended, or killed outright by Congress as well. This kind of outright lying and editorializing is why so many people don't trust news anymore. Start reporting it, stop creating it.

Right, by congress. Congress can revisit the issue, the FCC can't.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Launches
57. Re: removed Nov 17, 2017, 18:30 Quboid

Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:38:
NKD wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:18:
Look at these REMOVED posts. Special snowflake DangerDog can't handle his opinion being criticised and has to get it removed. Just like his hero Donald Trump. Grow a pair, Cletus.

People could also express an opinion without breaking Blue's extremely lenient rules. Just saying...

I didn't know Blue would remove posts if I felt someone was criticising me. Can anyone get this service, or is it just Trump supporters? Rolleyes

Maybe your post getting removed was your fault, NKD. Not DangerDog's, not Blue's - and I don't say that out of any love for DD's paranoid fantasies.

(Oh, ninja'd. That's what happens when you stop for a sandwich half way through your post )

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
18. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 20:11 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 09:37:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 09:25:
Upgrading mobo/cpu/ram seems less and less appealing with these prices. My i5-2600k OC to 4.3 is still chugging along just fine.
I'll probably get a new video card next year though the 970 is showing it's age in some games.
Not planning to jump on the 4k bandwagon just yet. I think we still have a bit of time before games catch up to that resolution in terms of optimization.

What games does your 970 struggle with in 1080p?
I bought mine, wow, actually about 2 years ago. I kept thinking it was last winter. Cost $370, and I knew I was buying at the tail end of its cycle and therefore overpaying, but it's still been serving me pretty well. Guess I haven't bought any of the big games of the past year, though

I have an Intel i7 3750K, 24GB RAM, and a Geforce 1070, I get about 20 FPS in Cities Skylines and it drops to single figures when playing a 1080p60 YouTube video on my second monitor. It's slow because I'm running approximately 100 mods and 2000 assets (extra buildings, trees, vehicles, etc) from the Steam Workshop.

I'm actually playing at 5K (5120x2577) down-scaled to 1440p, because it's so utterly CPU limited that my graphics card is twiddling its thumbs - running it at 1080 would be no faster, just uglier. CSL needs good AA.

I'm upgrading to an Intel i7-8700K with 32GB so hopefully I'll regularly hit 30FPS (and have the RAM to download another 1000 assets). At least the extra cores should help stop videos from slowing things. I'd probably go with an AMD chip if I didn't luck out with an opportunity to get an Intel chip relatively cheap via my work.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2017, 20:38.

6086 Comments. 305 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo