Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ein Bürgermeister
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 5665 (Guru)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
20. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 17:50 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 17:29:
Beamer wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 17:20:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 16:14:
I also did notice and liked that you had "bottom tier" on top and bottom, I actually found it fitting.

Yeah I like the person that thinks all the mainstream is all wrong and that national enquirer stuff is now correct. Obviously something went sideways with such individuals. To really think that, that has to be a miserable life, a meglo's life, one big setup against you and only you.

Yeah, I realized I had it set up wrong, then brainfarted even further. At least it was a funny mistake.

I agree that it's frightening that some people think all the legitimate news outlets are bad. None of them are perfect, but none of them are awful. Typically, the ones that think CNN or the WSJ orThe New York Times are always wrong (and, admittedly, CNN is "wrong" way more frequently now than it was a decade ago, as it focuses more heavily on what people tune in to [editorials] and less on just reporting what happens) are the same ones that think Russia Today, Alex Jones, Prison Planet, and the like are the only "real" sources.

Yep it is so upside down right now, I'm unsure what to do about it. If a Dem had any tie whatsoever with Russia the Commie word comes out right now, but I've heard more about Russia being ok under the new regime and it goes without question from their followers. What gives? They still blast Dems for Commie China deals as if rep corp types didn't eat that up... Nothing is adding up right now. It does seem we are being driven by fear, which that doesn't surprise, we haven't been the "Home of the brave" for sometime.

It is funny what sticks we us, I had a large impression while having some friends out from GA 2 years ago, the wife of a couple (60's) seriously lives in fear of terrorism, as if it is imminent, it only tells me how well Fox News works on people. I don't like it, who does? But I can't say I wake up worrying about it.

At the risk of sounding preachy and elitist, I think a lot of people have realised that right-wing news organisations have lied to them a lot, but those lies are too ingrained for them to be willing or able to believe more central or left-wing news, and so go deeper down the rabbit hole instead.

I think comments about how the mainstream media lied to us about Iraq are quite telling, if this sentiment is widespread. Very broadly speaking, the right-wing media lied. The left-wing media was telling us that removing Saddam would create a power vacuum in which a more dangerous foe could rise, someone who could actually be a danger to the West. Well shit, whaddayaknow. This satire, written at the time, sums up the public discourse frighteningly well. "10 or 15 years" FFS!

One of my parents, I wouldn't say they live in fear of terrorism but they clearly think the world is a dangerous place these days. You lived through thousands dying in Northern Ireland in The Troubles! We knew not to cower then and (being concentrated in a small area) that was far more dangerous to us. They also think there's too many immigrants (i.e. potential terrorists), despite virtually never interacting with anyone who isn't British or Irish (i.e. good folk, just ignore all the actual terrorism). But the people who lied about Iraq say there's too many and they wouldn't lie!

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2016, 18:07.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2016, 16:38 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 16:14:
Beamer wrote on Dec 6, 2016, 15:44:
WaltC is exactly what I mean when I say some people think "Fake news" is "news I don't like" rather than actual news fabricated solely for clicks.

Seems that way. I also did notice and liked that you had "bottom tier" on top and bottom, I actually found it fitting.

Yeah I like the person that thinks all the mainstream is all wrong and that national enquirer stuff is now correct. Obviously something went sideways with such individuals. To really think that, that has to be a miserable life, a meglo's life, one big setup against you and only you.

Well said Beamer, aside from your weird dual-bottom, and excellent example of tier #2 by WaltC. There was someone else on here criticising the media because there was more negative news about Trump than Clinton, another bafflingly juvenile attitude.

Mainstream media organisations, for all their many faults, are more reliable than that fringe website where you read that article that validated your ideological beliefs.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
35. Re: Reddit Is Tearing Itself Apart. Dec 3, 2016, 00:14 Quboid

Nofactor97 wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 22:53:
I didn't say you were triggered . . . .initially. You just jumped to the defense of a poster who fit all the criteria you described above. They were triggered, and unable to see past their rage, because everyone doesn't think like them.

I wasn't defending him. Why do you think I was?

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2016, 00:36.

- Quboid

29. Re: Reddit Is Tearing Itself Apart. Dec 2, 2016, 19:30 Quboid

Nofactor97 wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 09:48:
Applying heated words like "bigoted, misogynist, racist" on anything that does not fit a liberal's agenda is always an attempt to deflect the topic. When it is done, the debate is over because they cannot see anything else beyond that. Similar to trying to convince a Born Again Christian the earth is not 4000 years old. The end answer is always "because god says so"

Those words do get thrown around too quickly, by people of all sorts (I've seen conservatives on here call liberals racist while complaining about people calling others racist), and it's bad for debate because the recipient focuses on moral justification or complaining rather than the actual facts (many, it seems, don't even understand that they're being accused of being factually wrong).

However, that doesn't mean these words are never appropriate or deserved and if you want a safe space, tough. The debate is over because you get your feelings hurt. Take responsibility for your actions and your views and if you don't like being called bigoted, don't be bigoted.

But hey, you said I was triggered. Well done on making the same zinger that I had already made.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Dec 1, 2016, 10:04 Quboid

Just a reminder, this is the guy who brought us this.  

- Quboid

25. Re: Reddit Is Tearing Itself Apart. Dec 1, 2016, 08:56 Quboid

Nofactor97 wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 02:50:
So is the inane rambling of someone who would be quick to call anyone a racist, bigot or misogynist just because they have conservative values. Throw around phrases like"cognitive dissonance" , but never realising they have ad hominem rants . . . Making their points look like a joke

Hopefully that spelled out for you better

Quboid wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 00:46:
Nofactor97 wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 22:40:

Triggered Much?

That's got to be the most inane word around these days. Way to make your point look like a joke.

Dammit now I'm triggered Cry

So you're saying you're about as good at making a point as Cutter?

- Quboid

22. Re: Reddit Is Tearing Itself Apart. Dec 1, 2016, 00:46 Quboid

Nofactor97 wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 22:40:

Triggered Much?

That's got to be the most inane word around these days. Way to make your point look like a joke.

Dammit now I'm triggered Cry

- Quboid

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Released
22. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Released Nov 30, 2016, 17:56 Quboid

ItBurn wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 11:58:
jomisab wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 11:55:
Absolutely! Everything is just a shimmering mess without it. The visual difference even between 2X TXAA and the default SMAA w/ temporal filtering is very significant. Anything in the distance that has lots of thin lines, e.g. the Golden Gate Bridge, will be visually "crawling" as you move toward it, but TXAA makes everything perfect. And while I see a lot of people saying TXAA makes things blurry, I disagree. I think it looks amazing.

Ok.

Personally, I hate all AA. It makes things blurry, like you say, but most importantly, it makes things "unprecise". I'd rather see "shimmering" and pixelation. Plus, disabling AA is always a big performance gain.

Cheap post-process AA is smudgy rubbish but proper multisample AA is more precise than having no AA; as in it is a more accurate portrayal of the game world.

At 1440p it is typically one of the first things I turn off but intricate detail like the Golden Gate would benefit a lot. WD2 is free with Geforces at the moment so I'll probably get this with a 1070 from Santa.

- Quboid

7. Re: Reddit Is Tearing Itself Apart. Nov 30, 2016, 09:38 Quboid

DangerDog wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 00:21:
Poor safe space babies can't cope with The_Donald?

ROFL

suck it up buttercup

This is a spectacular example of not reading the article. I really wonder, is this what you actually think or is there some sarcasm that I'm missing?

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 29, 2016, 17:07 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 10:24:
The UK drifts more and more to being a fascist anti-foreigner surveillance state.. sad ;/

God save the Queen, the fascist regime

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2016, 16:25 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 15:12:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 13:50:
My big purchase turned out to be some new underwear.

Heh, I ordered some tanktops yesterday.

Shows how PC the world has become. Everyone I know always used to call them 'wifebeaters' - including the girls.

Smartass

In the UK, wifebeater refers to Stella Artois beer. First time I heard an expression like "he's wearing a wifebeater" I thought it meant he'd spilled his beer down his shirt.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Nov 28, 2016, 11:29 Quboid

Pigeon wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 11:21:
Took my brain awhile to get there (even coffee isn't helping today) but it's Damian Wayne, not Damon Wayans as I first interpreted it . I was wondering why the hell he was involved with a Batman game, and who thought that would be a good idea.

Same. I was wondering, is that the one in Requiem For A Dream or one from White Chicks... (Turns out, neither.)

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
42. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2016, 14:52 Quboid

I don't take a taxi to work, I just typically have other things on my mind and if I don't, I probably want to sit back and rest my eyes. I did once have an entertaining cabbie, my family was doing the tourist thing in New York and the Arabic stereotype who took us to the Empire State Building had my father and I exchanging glances and suppressing laughs. I've no idea what he was ranting about the whole time; traffic, tourists, maybe it was just an act for a good tip.

As jdreyer said, there will be a market for a specific type of human operated taxi, such as tour guides or amusing stereotypes.

jdreyer wrote on Nov 24, 2016, 14:13:
Dacote wrote on Nov 24, 2016, 13:39:
Traffic fatalities will almost drop to zero the second that AI takes over all vehicle traffic.

THIS. I welcome our robot overlords.

Also, think of the savings in government with police no longer needing to enforce traffic violations and parking rules.

At first, the police will be needed to catch people who grief self driving cars. Idiots will step in front to make the car emergency brake, or people who pull out at junctions when they see a self-driving car because they know it will stop. In some countries, self driving cars will be unusable where other cars operate. I hope the cars record enough information to catch idiots and send the message that this ain't gonna work.

- Quboid

35. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2016, 10:21 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 24, 2016, 06:47:
Mind you for taxi it is a fact AI can replace the function, but no AI can replace the human factor that makes an OK experience great or entertaining. And customer satisfaction and service will be a huge thing that will NOT wipe out taxi drivers entirely ever. ^^

A driver who robotically drives me where I want to go *is* a great taxi experience. Maybe that says more about me...

- Quboid

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 23, 2016, 15:03 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 13:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 13:46:
Beamer wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 13:24:
As I was saying in another thread a week or two ago, though, we'll all be replaced by robots. I doubt many people here couldn't be replaced by robots or AI at some point. Doubt many people at all. Actors? Replaceable. CEOs? Replaceable. Police? Replaceable (ED-209!)

The required several dozen AI breakthroughs are not something you gonna see in your lifetime though... AI may beat us at GO, but it sure as hell isn't capable of intelligent behavior, and we are still decades away from an AI that has a mental capacity on par with a dog.

As a start, if we have even 10% of the customer service reps in 10 years that we do now I'd be shocked.

For most of these jobs computers don't need human intelligence, or even cat or dog intelligence, to reduce the required work-force hugely; tasks can be reconfigured to make the most of both human intelligence and machine work-ethic.

My local supermarket replaced about 5 tills with 8 self-checkout booths, and replaced 5 checkout staff with 1 per shift. Instead of 5 humans spending most of their time doing manual labour, computers and customers do that and 1 human spends their time helping any confused customers and approving alcohol purchases by adults. The required intelligence has been concentrated into 1 job per shift.

LittleMe, which policies do you mean and how have they affected jobs?

- Quboid

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 23, 2016, 10:30 Quboid

Angrius Maximis, I suggest you read the article, it goes into more detail than the headline. Could you answer this question I asked yesterday?

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 11:08:
Meh I'd rather focus on all the money bilked by the Clinton Foundation

http://observer.com/2016/08/the-six-clinton-foundation-scandals-everyone-needs-to-know/

Why would you rather focus on that?

- Quboid

66. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2016, 11:01 Quboid

Well I'm shocked. Absolutely nobody saw this coming!

Trump team won't pursue charges against Hillary Clinton

- Quboid

43. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2016, 18:20 Quboid

unfortunately wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 17:35:
The daily wall of self-proclaimed pol expert posts on this site is laughable.

Check this out for a wall of self-proclaimed "pol" expert posts; is that the sort of miserable self-aggrandising crap you hate?

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2016, 15:17 Quboid

Cake  

- Quboid

26. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2016, 15:11 Quboid

Bodolza wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 14:45:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 13:24:
You mean they didn't. Sorry, the media didn't dig into the DNC leaks.

There have been over 1000 articles about the DNC emails on the NY Times alone in the past year.

http://query.nytimes.com/search/sitesearch/?action=click&contentCollection=Politics& region=TopBar&WT.nav=searchWidget&module=SearchSubmit&pgtype=article#/clinton+emails/365days/

That's just a single newspaper. So, as I said, you are either woefully misinformed, or a liar. Which is it?

The DNC leaks are a separate issue to Clinton's private email server - and a simple search for DNC emails would also show articles about Russian hackers (because that's hugely important news that the media should be reporting).

You're absolutely right, but this isn't proof.

- Quboid

5665 Comments. 284 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo