Total Posts
382 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

382 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 15.
Newer [  1    5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ] Older

Re: Punkbuster
Dec 1, 2003, 17:36
Re: Punkbuster Dec 1, 2003, 17:36
Dec 1, 2003, 17:36

Personally, I can't wait. The cheats the little weasles use are not readily noticiable, like enemies being shown on thier maps, or no fog. I've notice a couple of times someone taking way too much damage. I play daily, and you can tell.

Hrm... I've never really considered that there may be cheats in use in BF42. I'm very hesitant to accuse anyone of cheating, since I'm certainly not the greatest player in the world. My scores average middle-of-the-pack with an occasional "medal" score. I've noticed, however, that on several occasions I've shot people from ranges of less than 20 feet square in chest with a 6 to 10 round burst from a BAR or equivalent, and they just casually capped me with one round when I'm at full health and strafing. I know that the BF42 code has damage reduced to a somewhat less than realistic level for gameplay purposes, but I just can't see someone taking that much damage and then beating me when I'm full up on health. Especially when a tank just exploded right next to him and had to have given some splash damage.

Overall, I favor anti-cheat code, even if it incoveniences me slightly, as even so-called "benign" cheats could quickly sour an honest player on the entire experience. I can certainly see where even simple cheats like having enemies visible on the map would help tremendously in scoring, especially when flying aircraft or on dense urban maps like Stalingrad.

----
-- 11) Thou Shalt Not Whine --

Re: How bad...
Nov 19, 2003, 18:16
Re: How bad... Nov 19, 2003, 18:16
Nov 19, 2003, 18:16

Hrm... I'll clarify my post, since it seems to have thrown serious sand into the vital parts of several of our resident automotive techs.

Cars and computers are two opposite ends of the same logical problem: cars are not complicated, but they are quite complex. An internal combustion engine is, at it's core, a very simple device with a lot of "improvements" hanging off of it. Computers, on the other hand, are extremely complicted, but not very complex.

In either case, both require the same thing: knowledge. The actual work is simple and straightforward. Just like mathematics, it's nothing but progression and patience. I defy you to tell anyone who's only computer experience is buying a Dell off the shelf, plugging it in, and surfing e-mail, to build you a functional gaming system within a specific budget. They can't do it-- at least not instantly, and not without the potential for screwing up a lot of expensive hardware. However, if they are willing to trade time for money, they can quite easily build a system after spending several hundred hours reading and researching. Remember, while it may be a "snap together" operation for you to build a computer as an experienced user, it's because you have a vast knowledge database concerning computers, and if you want to keep building them, you have to keep up on that knowledge. Of course, once you have the basic level of knowledge, it's just a matter of updating it once in a while.

Cars are EXACTLY THE SAME.

Once you know the lingo, it's just another field. Now, as Enahs and others pointed out, if you have no interest in cars, it'll likely not appeal to you, and you'll not even bother to learn the information. If, for example, you go messing around with some advanced maintenance procedure in a modern engine without understanding the process thoroughly, researching it, and talking to people who've done it, you're likely to screw something up, over-torque something, or otherwise make an expensive mess of things. That's true of any procedure, from installing a new throttle body to changing a fuel filter to installing a wet NOS system. But it's mere knowledge-- a monkey can turn a wrench. Just like with computers, if you dive in uninformed, you stand a good chance of screwing it up. Is a higher level of knowledge required to hot-rod a car than to flush the radiator and change the hoses? Sure. Same is true of building a super-fast game box versus changing out a case fan.

My point is simply this: I've been a gearhead, (and still am), and I've been a computer nerd (and still am.) Both require a specialized knowledge base, but having hung around with both groups of people for years, I can honestly say that they are both extremely intelligent groups. Notice, however, that I DO NOT include you average autotech in that statement. There are smart autotechs, I'm sure. But many of them are hose and belt monkeys, not mechanics.

I stand by my former comment, and Enahs' advice: ANYONE can do routine maintenance and base-level repairs, even on a modern engine. Just find the information before you dive into it. Comparing some moron who starts wrenching on something he doesn't fully understand just because he's "computer smart" to someone who takes the time to read the information about the car, research procedures, and talk to others is not a fair analogy.

The point I was trying to make is not that autotechs are idiots-- even though some are. My point was that most people who read this site--and thus likely build their own computers--are more than intelligent and well-educated enough to gain the knowledge for working on cars. It's just a matter of desire vs. time vs. money. If you're happy spending $1,500 on a tune up, good for you! Go for it. But while it may take you ten hours of research for you car type and another six hours to change the plugs the first time around, you'll know how to do it the second time and save yourself a lot of money. And there are plenty of sites out there on this wonderful information and research tool called the internet where you can find detailed procedural descriptions-- complete with "we made this mistake, so we're telling you how to avoid it" information. Just look around.

----

Re: How bad...
Nov 19, 2003, 14:13
Re: How bad... Nov 19, 2003, 14:13
Nov 19, 2003, 14:13

What Enahs said...

If you can build a computer, (and I'd be willing to be that the majority of readers here can do so with their eyes closed), car maintenance and repair is a snap. Like computers, it's just a matter of knowledge. Of course, also like computers, it can turn into a rather expensive hobby if you really get into it. Just purchasing a good manual tool set, air compressor, and airtools, and VOM--the miminum necessary for basic hot-rodding--can put you out several thousand dollars. But I find it to be a very relaxing hobby. I can spend hours in the garage tinkering on the car or the bike. (Got my eye on a '70 Challenger I'd like to rebuild, if I can find a way to squeeze it into the garage.)

Don't think you can do it? Go talk to your average mechanic at a dealership for 10 minutes, and you'll walk away convinced you're one of the smartest people ever born. There are exceptions, such as NHRA mechanics, but most automotive technicians aren't very bright. "Mechnical inclination" is bullshit; if you want to save money, you'll do it. As Enahs said, try it; it's easy.

----

Re: Global Warming
Nov 18, 2003, 11:23
Re: Global Warming Nov 18, 2003, 11:23
Nov 18, 2003, 11:23

I just think it would be wild if one day global warming was found to be a myth......heh, kids 200 years from now would probably look back on us like we look back on the salem witch trials.....we're all just a bunch of unwashed heathens

Divide that number of years by 20, and you'll be in the ballpark. 30 years ago, the enviro-nuts were screaming about global cooling, how mankind was causing an anthropogenic ice-age. Now it's warming. Next decade, they'll find some other cause to gnash their teeth about. They're the perpetual handwringing class that's always present in a free society. Eventually, most intelligent people learn to spot them quickly and then ignore them.

And speak for yourself-- I'm a very clean heathen.

----

Re: Paris
Nov 18, 2003, 11:16
Re: Paris Nov 18, 2003, 11:16
Nov 18, 2003, 11:16

/best strip joint DJ voice:

"And now coming out on the center stage, it's PARIS!!! Let's show your support, guys... get those ones ready... This Girl is VERY talented!!! Watch her use that pole like a pro!!! Come on, guys! Don't be shy! Who'll be first up to that stage, eh? I hear she's reaaaal kinky, if you know what I mean..."

Rich slut, poor slut... she's just another simpleton little girl confused by a society too complex for her to understand or fit into normally. The world is full of them. The only difference is that the rich ones make it onto the evening news.

----

Changing tune
Nov 13, 2003, 15:38
Changing tune Nov 13, 2003, 15:38
Nov 13, 2003, 15:38

I wonder whatever happened to Adam West and his bullshit pacifist stance? Remember when the first Batman movie was released and he publicly derided the movie for being "too dark and violent" and "not in keeping with the comic tradition of Batman"?

I guess when the freezer started running a bit low on steaks, he decided to bend-- like solder wire in a sauna, apparently. Of course, his entire premise on the issue was wrong to begin with, as the original creator of Batman said the movie was much more in line with the way he had envisaged Batman than the KAPOW! style of the live-action television show.

/shrug

Just another idiot celebrity, I suppose. Just do your voice-overs and go home, Adam.

----

Re: No subject
Nov 12, 2003, 19:15
Re: No subject Nov 12, 2003, 19:15
Nov 12, 2003, 19:15

it was information about how our products work.

Poorly?

----

Re: Veteran's Day
Nov 11, 2003, 12:26
Re: Veteran's Day Nov 11, 2003, 12:26
Nov 11, 2003, 12:26

Oh, I don't know... I pretty much considered my annual tour of the Whorehouses of the Pacific Rim thanks enough. Cheap beer, cheap food, cheap 'tang... What more can a growing young jarhead ask for?

----

Nov 10, 2003, 15:11
Re: No subject Nov 10, 2003, 15:11
Nov 10, 2003, 15:11

I'm a little worried by the frame rate (or lack thereof) in the demo. Unless they performed some really radical code optimization in the last few weeks, I'm afraid this might be a "wait until technology catches up with it" sim, much like Falcon 4.0, before I'll plonk down my cash on it. Oh well, I can't really complain, as new hi-fidelity flight sims are few and far between nowdays. Besides, I'm still busy blowing up bad guys in EAW, which is aging quite gracefully.

----

Nov 10, 2003, 09:56
Re: No subject Nov 10, 2003, 09:56
Nov 10, 2003, 09:56

I just love poeple like "ReDeeMeR"... He's the sort of person who, if given a free hamburger, would whine because it had tomatoes on it.

----

Re: French video games
Nov 3, 2003, 14:35
Re: French video games Nov 3, 2003, 14:35
Nov 3, 2003, 14:35

For the most part the volunteer Frenchmen in Napolean's armies, while very enthusiastic, were incompetent soldiers. There were exceptions, such as the Imperial Guard, but it should be noted that by the time the Imperial Guard was expanded to anything resembling a formidably-sized combat force, (immediately before the Russian Campaign), it was largely due to the incorporation of elite foreign troops, such as the Holland Guard. The initial core of the Imperial Guard, known as the Consular Guard, was nothing more than a bunch of frothing-at-the-mouth revolutionaries who knew more about beheading nobles than they did about warfare. (Although it should be noted that separating aristocrats from their sorry heads is not at all a profession to be disdained.)

However, if you look at the the Decree of 3 March 1812, which was the document organizing the Grande Armee for the invasion of Russia, you'll note that it intially included some 392 battalions, of which 231 were French and 161 were foreign contingents. And many of the French battalions were merely bullet sponges, technically classified as "heavy infantry," but really intended for nothing more than soaking up fire while the more experienced and professional Dutch and Italian light infantry, skirmishers, and cuiraissers would conduct the attacks. In fact, the 11th Infantry, widely regarded as the single best combat unit in Napolean's army, was composed entirely of Swiss and Italian mercenaries.

So, if you want to say Napolean was a good general, I'd agree with you. But it was not due to some mythical French fighting ability; it was because he knew how to choose his troops, and what to do with them once he engaged the enemy. Besides, Napolean was an usurper; he'd rather have live mercenaries who didn't care about his throne or his actions, than live French patriots who would hold him accountable for perverting the ideals of the Revolution. Napolean was many things, but stupid wasn't one of them-- and he knew better than anyone else how poorly the French fought. Remember, he was Corsican.

----

Carmack is showing his age...
Oct 31, 2003, 15:09
Carmack is showing his age... Oct 31, 2003, 15:09
Oct 31, 2003, 15:09

*grumble* ...was good 'nuff for grandpappy... *mumble*

----

No subject
Oct 27, 2003, 12:13
No subject Oct 27, 2003, 12:13
Oct 27, 2003, 12:13

"...he didn't know why the game included the Quebec reference."

Because they're irritaing quasi-Frogs with over-developed egos who have been opening themselves to ridicule and scorn at every turn for the last forty years. Next question.

----

And thus...
Oct 27, 2003, 11:48
And thus... Oct 27, 2003, 11:48
Oct 27, 2003, 11:48

...life becomes even more confusing for the already terminally confused.

----

Re: XP and 2000 only? BOO!!
Oct 23, 2003, 12:33
Re: XP and 2000 only? BOO!! Oct 23, 2003, 12:33
Oct 23, 2003, 12:33

robnkester,

I was running 98 as well, until... well, until today, actually. I was dragged kicking and screaming into the modern world. Just ordered XP pro, a new drive, and a FX5600. Was overdue, anyway; 98 was due for yet another reinstall, and the support for USB hubs was pretty well non-existent. I expect most major software developers will stop supporting 98 by the middle of next year, so it was time. Like you, I held on as long as I could. I certainly got my money's worth out of that 98 disc, though. (And in answer to the twit who asked if people actually bought Windows: Yes, you thieving little pie-rat bastard, people do. There is no form of life in the universe lower than a thief. Amoebas make you their bia-tch.)

As a consolation for being forced to abandon my beloved Win98,, I upgraded to a honkin' big monitor as well. Hey, it was on sale! (I learned that excuse from my sister-in-law.) My credit card is a bit warm right now.

----

Graphics cards
Oct 22, 2003, 15:57
Graphics cards Oct 22, 2003, 15:57
Oct 22, 2003, 15:57

Quick opinion question for you vidcard junkies out there: I want to stretch the life of my current AMD 1.2Ghz/266FSB w/512MB RAM gaming rig a bit further, as I'm not in a position to plop down mega-coinage on a new system at the moment. Currently, it has a GF2 MX400 in it. How far up the vidcard foodchain can I go before I'm bottlenecking it with my CPU? I was looking at a GF-FX 5200 as a "bargain basement" sort of alternative, (still butt-loads faster than my GF2, I'm sure), but if my rig could actually get use out of a higher-end card, like an Ultra 5600 or above, I'd be willing to spring for it. I just don't have time to keep up with all this stuff anymore, nor do I have the free hours to spend researching it. So, if you wouldn't mind...

Please note that I'm extremely hestitant to purchase an ATI card, regardless of the current buzz about their perceived superiority over Nvidia products. Forgive me, but I've heard that song-and-dance before, and every ATI card I purchased in the past gave me no end of trouble. I've a real phobia about their products now, so my first instinct is to stick with Nvidia-- warts, fizzling Detonators, and all.

----

Steroids
Oct 21, 2003, 12:17
Steroids Oct 21, 2003, 12:17
Oct 21, 2003, 12:17

Athletes using steroids?!

See also:

Sky: blue
Grass: green
Bear: woods

----

/shrug
Oct 20, 2003, 10:37
/shrug Oct 20, 2003, 10:37
Oct 20, 2003, 10:37

I find it difficult to get excited--in either direction--about anything Apple does. Their business plan long ago relegated them to being an reclusive also-ran, which is where they'll stay in perpetuity unless they decide to come out and play with all the other kids.

Personally, I don't give a damn. They can keep their proprietary machines and software, and I'll keep building my own Windows and Linux systems--for half the cost--that are twice as fast and do exactly what I need them to do. If I ever decide I need a piece of electronic object d'art to collect dust in my study, I'll be sure to go pick up an Apple product.

----

Hrm...
Oct 7, 2003, 17:09
Hrm... Oct 7, 2003, 17:09
Oct 7, 2003, 17:09

My nose itches a little more every time I read some additional tidbit on this story. It's got all the earmarks of a publicity stunt...

"Hey, guys... Instead of just releasing a demo, how 'bout we have someone 'steal' the 'source-code' and a few maps from one of our 'unsecured' storage units, and release it as a 'pirate' build? <winwink-nudgenudge> It'll get buttloads of attention."

Sorry, but methinks I smell less-than-edible foodstuffs in a certain northern European nation...

/not normally a conspiracy nut, but had McDonald's for lunch today

----

Legal ROM downloads
Oct 2, 2003, 12:49
Legal ROM downloads Oct 2, 2003, 12:49
Oct 2, 2003, 12:49

Could someone please catch that horse that bolted about, oh... eight years ago, and put in back in the barn? Thanks awfully.

Morons.

----
382 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 15.
Newer [  1    5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ] Older