Descending
Limit Results:

39 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
May 13, 2003, 19:39
Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 19:39
May 13, 2003, 19:39

i can't think of a single ps one (as you can bet this thing is going to be ps one compatible (psp=playstation portable)) game that i would want to play on the move.. apart from sf2 puzzle fighter, pretty much the rest of the cataloge doesn't suit portable play.. So, lets hoping they fit some decent data ports on to it to allow tv connectivity / external controllers. All i know is that nintendo must be sh**ting bricks about now, thinking it HAS to get its arse in to gear. no 10+ year lifecycle for the GBA like it had with the GB/GBC.

interestingly, the only line that caught my attention from the press release was "Video quality will also be enhanced with MPEG4, which delivers quality equivalent to DVD video at a low data rate"... portable divx/xvid players anyone? ;-) but then, by late 2004 mpeg4's gonna be old hat anyways.. move over for vp3-6, h264.
This comment was edited on May 13, 19:39.

Re: WHY
May 12, 2003, 14:49
Re: WHY May 12, 2003, 14:49
May 12, 2003, 14:49

i remember back in the day when the quake1 demo(test) came out... on a 486 you were lucky to get 10fps @ 320x240... but everyone went crazy and pretty much started saving for pentium's. Although hearing i'm gonna get 60fps at that res sounds good, but the very early pre-alpha sucked memory (using high res textures) like a whore with bad credit.. and i had 512mb at the time. But still, that was very very early and i hope things are running a little smoother by now..

oh, and why should i expect it to run better on pentium4 chips when everything else runs better on similarly or lower spec'd athlons?? doesn't sound like something id would do to favour one chip over the other... unless it's ati of course.. alleged naughty ati... ;-)

This comment was edited on May 12, 14:57.

Re: Whats with freaking CHAINSAWS???
Apr 30, 2003, 16:58
Re: Whats with freaking CHAINSAWS??? Apr 30, 2003, 16:58
Apr 30, 2003, 16:58

well, obviously some heard they were getting a fresh consignment of zombies in and made sure they ordered as many shotguns, chainsaws, and that new cd containing eerie sound effects as they possibly could.

i think it's fair to say ID have never been strong on story lines in their games. Monsters, weapons, teleports. Kill, use, zzaappp. Next level. That's about it as far as they go. Their games tend to offer something a little different i terms of wow factor, and a sense of fear or urgency. I honestly think that doom3 will be the same. If you liked doom, doom2, quake1,2.. then you'll love this.

I'm just glad they've managed to get transparency in their stencil shadows working.. all they need to work on now is that slevel technology and they're sorted.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 16:58.

surprise surprise
Apr 30, 2003, 16:48
surprise surprise Apr 30, 2003, 16:48
Apr 30, 2003, 16:48

is anyone surprised at the fact that there may be a yearly update, especially since they renamed ut2 to ut2003... I just wanna know where service pack 3 is, and it'll be just like windows then.

Re: Er...
Apr 23, 2003, 21:43
Re: Er... Apr 23, 2003, 21:43
Apr 23, 2003, 21:43

yeah, was just about to post that also but you beat me too it. I can only assume it's incase we forgot about the other announcement

heh
Apr 15, 2003, 16:17
heh Apr 15, 2003, 16:17
Apr 15, 2003, 16:17

without trying to create a flamewar on purpose.. i think valve have a hard time aheard of them with some great fps' coming out this year.. doom3, haloPC (so all you non xboxers finally realise what a great single player game it was), duesex2, not to mention a handful of very promising looking mmofps games.

i can only hope they've moved on from a heavily modded quake1 engine this time around coz we need proper landscapes, and truck wheels with more than 5 sides.

great
Apr 15, 2003, 16:10
great Apr 15, 2003, 16:10
Apr 15, 2003, 16:10

enemy territory and wolf tacts in the same month??? great news for the rtcw community!!!

Mar 11, 2003, 15:06
Re: No subject Mar 11, 2003, 15:06
Mar 11, 2003, 15:06

#26, read my comments before posting that.. i stated it's based on a comic on post#7, and the trailer also states that it's from a comic if you look close enough

#24 damn right!

#20 couldn't agree more

Re: Yeesh
Mar 10, 2003, 17:22
Re: Yeesh Mar 10, 2003, 17:22
Mar 10, 2003, 17:22

personally i think the argument about the similarities between the matrix and BPM aren't really valid.

• a movie staring a love interest that battles alongside our hero. Well, name any action film which isn't like this?? A few examples of ones that are, star wars, indiana jones, terminator.
  • a subway scene. Well, hardly a compelling link between the two movies.
  • bullet time, again, it's hard to think of an action film these days which doesn't employ a similar sfx technique, and there are more films i can think of that directly copied scenes from the matrix - duece bigolo, kungpow, shrek, scary movie etc etc.

if anything the scene of chow looking at the bullet passing his face is more reminiscent of spiderman than matrix for me.

as for hk flicks, warrors of zu mountain, and the recent sequel 'zu warriors' are both great classics in the great scheme on things. Some of the jet li fong sai yuk movies really broke new ground in terms of mad wirework, the like of which i've not really seen since.. with perhaps shaolin soccer (out on general release in the US later this year), and crouching tiger.. But i think directly comparing fong sai yuk and cthd is a but unfair, they're both great movies, and it's easy to tell a lot more money was spent on cthd which just looks beautiful from beginning to end.

The question at hand tho is the game of BPM.. and i think it's fair to say that conversions of cheesy, if enjoyable films generally tend to be second rate at best. Even the matrix game that has recently been hyped to death doesn't appear to offer anythng new than a cross between max payne (with kungfu patch) and buffy the vampire. where's the massively multiplayer online experience that was touted around 12-18 months ago when the game was announced?

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 17:23.

Re: Adjectives - Use them
Mar 10, 2003, 13:16
Re: Adjectives - Use them Mar 10, 2003, 13:16
Mar 10, 2003, 13:16

i dunno about your chosen one argument. Chosen one generally means chosen to do a task which no one else can, and it'll be a very difficult task. To me that covers a lot of chosen one movies from superman, akira, matrix, etc etc... it's just the fine details and sub plots which differ. Personally i'm the kind of person that holds of judgement on a film until i've seen it, instead of calling everything gay before going back to wathc pokémon

to me the movie looks like your typical trashy happy summer movie which we get every year, cept this looks more fun than a million and one that came before, it's unfortunate it picks 2003 to be released, which is looking like one of the best years for movies for a long time.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 13:17.

Re: Adjectives - Use them
Mar 10, 2003, 12:47
Re: Adjectives - Use them Mar 10, 2003, 12:47
Mar 10, 2003, 12:47

well, i don't expect people here to know what they're talking about, and it's nice to see the majority of you guys are keeping up the high standards..

first off, bulletproof monk is a a comic as well as a film, and as cheesy as the movie looks the concept is a tried and tested one in the asian martial arts / animation market. Just because matrix bought wirework, slomotion effects, and the concept of breaking the rules of gravity to the dim-witted main stream audience doesn't mean it's the first movie to do it. Infact, it's a well known fact that matrix drew all of it's action and a healthy chunk of its cinematography from asian martial arts films, and in particular anime. Ghost in the shell anyone? try looking at http://suh.flyingbullets.dk/artikler/cheat.asp

as for BPM, it strikes me as more a reworking of golden child meets warriors of zu mountain than a 'gay' rip off of the matrix. Maybe not the greatest film ever made, but still it looks like pretty good fun to me. At least chow yung fat has come from an action oriented cinema, instead of lame teen flicks about time travel.

Dec 29, 2002, 20:12
Re: No subject Dec 29, 2002, 20:12
Dec 29, 2002, 20:12

well, i hate to prove you all wrong, but i'm going to do it anyway. After a bit of digging round, it seems the 'timeslicing' was invented by tim macmillan in 1980 whilst at the bath acadamy of art. You can see more information on it, the cameras he uses / makes, and early examples of his work over @ http://www.timeslicefilms.com/

as for the technique being used in hk martial arts.. well, i think that you're wrong on that one also mainly because until recently any type of digital effect in asian films proved to be too expensive to produce. The earliest examples of digital effects of any note i can think of in HK films are in jackie chan's twin dragons, and jet li's black mask - and neither of these used bullet time or time splicing. In actual fact, action inspiration for the matrix came not only from slow motion fight sequences from HK cinema (which could never reach the extreme slowness of the matrix, again because of the digital interpolation of frames the matrix uses), and from japanese anime films such as ghost in the shell which has good examples of slow motion ejecting shells and empty gun cartrtidges. The only thing the matrix really takes wholey from asian action films is the the martial arts themselves, and the wirework - which was nearly never used in the states before this time.

the earliest use of time slicing i can remember from hollywood (it'd be nice to know the actual first HOLLYWOOD film to use it (i think merlin was a tv film)) is lost in space, which used it several times during the leap sequence. Before that my first memory of it was on national lottery adverts here in the UK during the early 90's.

And before i finally shut up, there is a great tv commercial running here in the UK at the moment which has a great example of taking timeslicing to the next level by using an extended shutter time to get motion blurred timeslicing, which just looks great. If you in the UK, check out the 'muck about' commercial by orange - A digital equivelant featured during the sex scene of fight club..

Re: wha?
Dec 27, 2002, 12:24
Re: wha? Dec 27, 2002, 12:24
Dec 27, 2002, 12:24

13 - "What do you mean? "
"I had some serious fun playing that game. "

okay... it was fun the first time going into bullet time before entering a room, and sloooowly picking off as many guys before going to normal speed. but after 10minutes of initial play no new elements were introduced other than the god-awful drug induced dream sequences. The third party kungfu addons were nice tho.. but still not quite up to scratch.

Re: Huh?
Dec 26, 2002, 18:04
Re: Huh? Dec 26, 2002, 18:04
Dec 26, 2002, 18:04

well, it looks like it's been grabbed off video...

- high poly models, at least you can only tell on the hands
- low textures on faces
- lack of fine detail on levels

still, who gives a rats ass.. just because max payne didn't play too great doesn't mean this will. Judging one game on another, or what engine it uses is a bit childish really.. Who cares, as long as it plays well?!

oh, and that's even before you talk about the fact that it's another 5 months from completion!

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 18:06.

Re: Microsoft Rededication
Dec 6, 2002, 09:00
Re: Microsoft Rededication Dec 6, 2002, 09:00
Dec 6, 2002, 09:00

#9 when you consider that traditionally the pc is a box, with a monitor attached, and then see what people are already doing with them to make them more attractive to non-"dweebs". I'm talking about things like home-brew casemods to make the pc not look like a pc right through to microsoft developments like mira, media center, tablet pc, embedded systems, terminal services, right down to smartphone and xbox (which share common code with windows at a very basic level). For somethings yes, the pc as a box and a monitor will always be the best way to work, but more and more you will find especially in the home market and consumer market that pc's crop up in the most surprising places. Eventually with systems and processing being done remotely you'll find that devices will become more like dumb terminals with the processing done remotely - anything from applications, right down to content on demand and games. Sony and microsoft have already hinted at this as where they want to be in 5+ years. You may not like it, but unfortunately it's the way things are going.

Besides I thought they were already planning X-Box II

would be silly of them not to be thinking about xbox2, in just the same way sony have been thinking about ps3 since just after ps2 was launched in the states.. sony make me laugh with their wild claims for ps3 - anything for quantum level computing, right back to embedded systems i talked about earlier. Something they will not be able to pull off in the next round of the console wars.

I think MS and their push into other areas/markets all comes down to one thing... the same reason all businesses are in business... to make money

granted, however microsoft are a force to be rekoned with. If they want to give the videogame market a sly shove in the direction of set-top-boxes, or backend processing they are the company do it, not sony. And MS have a whole lot more money to make when they can introduce subscription services, and control the applications installed (read, cutting out warez)

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 09:00.

Re: Microsoft Rededication
Dec 5, 2002, 19:47
Re: Microsoft Rededication Dec 5, 2002, 19:47
Dec 5, 2002, 19:47

here's a good quote from Jay Allard in this months edge magazine.. they asked him "where do you see xbox in four years time?"

his response was "here's the thing, we set out to build the ferrari of videogame systems. We are the most patient company in the world. The xbox is a 20year business. It's not a quarter to quarter business. It's not how many unites do we sell this christmas..."

At the end of the day micrsoft know that the pc in its present form wont be around for many more years to come, at least not in the home market, so they're starting to push into other areas.. xbox, mira, xp media center edition, smartphone.. all aimed at getting the core microsoft brands out of the pc arena, and into the mainstream consumer market. Billy boy gates had a vision back in the late 70's / early 80's to get a pc in every home, he's practically done that so where else is there for him to go? Keeping the xbox / videogame business going longterm is a big goal for them, where as $2billion isn't that much, especially when spread over a few years.

Re: Its a single player game
Aug 26, 2002, 16:42
Re: Its a single player game Aug 26, 2002, 16:42
Aug 26, 2002, 16:42

33 - "Therefore I'm really questionning if doom3 is really that scalable?"

an engine being scalable doesn't rely on client speed right now. John carmack has mention in the past this gaming engine in one form or another will be around for years. With the current rate of gpu speed acceleration it wouldn't be hard for the engine to deal with that many characters on screen in a year or two. Afterall people questioned quake1's ability to throw more than a couple of bad guys around on screen at the same time.

35 - agreed. valve built technologies into the initial engine which enhanced network play, but these were generally available as mods, or seperate apps. If anything valve revolutionised single player with halflife

32 - yeah, point taken about the interface. Whilst it's only a relatively recent addition, or rather, enhanced in later editions.. it is possible to rescript the interface more than other games.. and as far as i'm aware the quake series of engines was the first game that really allowed you to do this. Again, it was probably a bad point i made about this being a revolution; i was trying to make the point that they did something with quake et al that other companies hadn't... and not just with graphics, or networking.

Re: Its a single player game
Aug 25, 2002, 20:20
Re: Its a single player game Aug 25, 2002, 20:20
Aug 25, 2002, 20:20

31. id software has never "revolutionized multiplayer".

i'd disagree. their game engines are all encompassing covering graphics, sound, interface, and networking (client server). Without that basis for a game you have no game, and without the great work the boys at id have put in to their networking code online gaming would not be the same as it is today. They have helped revolutionise online play as much if not more than they have graphics. 3d games were always going to happen, not necessarily online.

i don't remember many multi-player games before doom that used more than one computer other than link up games on systems like GB, AtariST, Amiga, etc etc. But doom used a peer to peer networking model in much the same way doom3 will, and i can only assume the guys at id are hankering after those 'good ol days' when things were much simpler.

I vaguely remember reading in some quake1 documentation, plans, or hype from the guys at id how everything was changed for quake, and it used something unheard of in gaming; a client server model, and it was great. In fact it was so great the single player game used it too.Oh, and the benefits of allowing people to hop in and out of games, and tcp/ip games online with quakeworld... wow this new network model was great! Wasn't it? Obviously not.

Peer-to-Peer has some advantages, in that it cuts out the middle man gsp guys that make money out of selling server usage. But that could be its downfall aswell. Doom3 may be scalable, but how does a 32 or 64 player peer-to-peer network game cope with all that traffic? even for broadband users it's gonna create some serious bandwidth, certainly a lot more than 10,000 rate i use in game anyway.

However, these guys make the games, and we play them. So far they've made some pretty astounding choices and directions based on their beliefs of where online and offline gaming is going. I find it hard to believe they haven't had some discussion on this, and thrashed out the advantages and disadvantages. They'll come good.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 20:24.

Jun 24, 2001, 20:18
Re: No subject Jun 24, 2001, 20:18
Jun 24, 2001, 20:18

was talking about this the other day.. daikatana.
how many people actually played it who say it sucks? There are shit loads of other games out there which are MUCH worse than 'katana, and not that many that are better... some of those he worked on. all games are made by highly talented people.. unlike the people [namely you!] who sit around on their fat asses all day and shout off about how 'leet' they are and how 'lame' everyone else is.

grow up

39 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older