Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom Landry

Real Name Tom Landry   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hump
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Stats: chain smoking, coffee swilling, overweight middle-aged male single dad with one 13 year old in residence.
Likes: games, cute Japanese chicks, milk duds, red meat, fresh bread, reading sci-fi, money, a good cigar now and
Homepage http://tjlandry.blogspot.com/
Signed On Jun 17, 2001, 15:14
Total Comments 7517 (Guru)
User ID 10137

User comment history
< Newer [ 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands Midnight Madness & Trailers
21. Re: Borderlands Midnight Madness & Trailers Oct 19, 2009, 23:39 Hump

I love the phantom "suits" people whine about more and more frequently, and I love that those "suits" came together for both Microsoft and Sony this time around.

Even if the rumors of the game already shipping for PC are true (which doesn't make much sense but is possible), couldn't there still be reasons to hold back? Perhaps, say, things that aren't in the box? Perhaps, say, some kind of networking or server issue?

Beamer, don't be naive. Unless you've been living under a rock nearly every single publisher has been holding back their PC versions of whatever game they are putting out in the belief that pirated PC versions somehow eat into the console SKU when released simultaneously. There isn't a single shred of evidence that this impacts console sales in any significant manner. Some publishers have admitted to it while others use the "we-want-to-make-sure-our-PC-consumers-get-the-best-possible-experience-etc" excuse.

Trust me, I'm not a bandwagon jumper who dismisses any and all decisions from a publisher out of hand but this is blatant bullshit thats been going on for over a year now.

If you choose to believe that its for some altruistic reason then be my guest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Mana Replacement Plans & Q&A
1. Re: Diablo III Mana Replacement Plans & Q&A Oct 19, 2009, 20:14 Hump

boy, if this doesn't indicate how far off the game is from release......  

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

News Comments > EV Online becomes Xeno
8. Re: EV Online becomes Xeno Oct 19, 2009, 20:13 Hump

are these the same lowlifes that does Evony?  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Borderlands Midnight Madness & Trailers
1. Re: Borderlands Midnight Madness & Trailers Oct 19, 2009, 19:56 Hump

while I gotta wait another 7 days for the PC version because the empty suits are afraid of the big bad pirates will take away sales of their precious console versions.

cunts....every single one of them Stab

- Jim Goad

News Comments > D&D Surface Demo
7. Re: D&D Surface Demo Oct 19, 2009, 19:22 Hump

I'd hate to think what the Japanese gaming industry would do with this if they got their hands on it.

Schoolgirl molestation games aplenty!

- Jim Goad

News Comments > No MW2 Dedicated Server
87. Re: No MW2 Dedicated Server Oct 18, 2009, 23:36 Hump

I'm not sure how you can call yourself a hardcore FPS player if you can't distinguish between the significant gameplay ramifications of regenerating vs finite health.

When you have regenerating health, you don't care about getting hit. Getting hit doesn't really matter because you can just hide behind cover for a few seconds and completely heal. The only hit you really care about is the one that will kill you. With finite health, every hit matters because you don't know when you'll next have an opportunity to heal. With regenerating health, you don't really have to think in the long-term or even be careful. You will always enter and leave all battles with full health no matter how many times you got hit. With finite health, this is not the case. Take too many hits in this battle and you may be at a significant disadvantage in the next. Use a health kit now and you may be screwed when you really need it later. Finite health simply offers a much more intense and cerebral experience.

It sounds like a logical argument but, in practice, it doesn't hold up (for me anyway). I think it all has to do with the implementation (I think Space Captain touched on this). In CoD2 I enjoyed the experience immensely while the regenerative health didn't detract from the tension whatsoever. I died many, many times.

I definitely understand what you're driving at but unless you're playing a simulation such as ARMA, OpFlashpoint etc it just doesn't matter as long as the developer has polished the game enough to make one feel that death is a constant and real threat.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Galactic Command Online; 3000AD's "Last Game"
147. Re: 3000AD's "Last Game" Oct 18, 2009, 19:32 Hump

How were things in the "Old Days"?? I've been posting in the comments since '99 and they seem the same to me. Whatever  

- Jim Goad

72. Re: No MW2 Dedicated Server Oct 18, 2009, 19:28 Hump

This is a complete guess on my part but this might be a decision that was handed down by Activision with Infinity Ward having to take the brunt of the shit-storm.

Activision has been so focused on short term profits lately that anything that doesn't contribute to the bottom line of the next fiscal quarter gets canned.

Oh, I'm a hardcore FPS player and I think regenerating health is great. Let's face it, how much more realistic is it than having to run around and find little boxes with a Red-Cross on it that does essentially the same thing?

- Jim Goad

20. Re: No MW2 Dedicated Server Oct 18, 2009, 13:45 Hump

This is not the way to convince PC gamers that they should pay 10 bucks more for this than any other title.

Frankly I don't think they give a shit either way. The majority of their profits are via console sales.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Slipgate Ironworks Pink Slips
10. Re: Slipgate Ironworks Pink Slips Oct 18, 2009, 11:26 Hump

Daikatana wasnt that bad, it was partially a victim of insane hype that nothing could live up to, partially victim of many bugs, partially a victim of mediocrity

agreed. There were a few levels that were actually enjoyable and the multiplayer was flat-out fun.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Star Trek Online Trailer
5. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 15:23 Hump

This game will lack any sort of depth, look and feel like every Cryptic/NCsoft/Net Devil game (that's NOT good) and crash and burn quickly after launch.
The trekkies will destroy every thing in this game that isn't correct according to backstory..

dude, seriously, wtf are you basing this on? At least try thing when the beta opens before you trash it.

- Jim Goad

136. Re: 3000AD's "Last Game" Oct 17, 2009, 01:06 Hump

I can dream, can't I?

what, you have a reasonable expectation that adults posting on a gaming message board should conduct themselves as such? You're right, it IS a dream.... Knife

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Aliens vs. Predator Trailer
6. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Trailer Oct 16, 2009, 22:14 Hump

I always confuse this and the one being done by Gearbox.

Anyhoo, this looks good on video. With Rebellion though, it could go either way.....a derivative hunk of shit or an inventive and fun game.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > MW2 Co-op Killed for Killing the "Experience"
10. Re: MW2 Co-op Killed for Killing the Oct 16, 2009, 01:14 Hump

No story is worth "saving" if it means getting rid of co-op.

They crafted an entire segment of the game separately so co-op could be included (Spec-Ops)!

IW's games are like interactive movies and, personally, I want to feel like I'm right in the middle of it.

- Jim Goad

76. Re: 3000AD's "Last Game" Oct 16, 2009, 00:58 Hump

ShadowOnline, you really are a piece of shit. Blue allows a LOT of crap on this board and its a tribute to his sense of fairness that tantrum throwing infants like yourself still get to stay and post. Did you happen to notice that unlike other message boards that when you posted something negative enough to get it deleted that you aren't banned for even one second?

Run along to 4chan, IRC, SA forums etc or wherever it is you feel like a legend. Here you're just an angry little boy whose daddy just told you to shut the fuck up. Be a good boy and oblige.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Gold - Painkiller: Resurrection
3. Re: Gold - Painkiller: Resurrection Oct 15, 2009, 23:35 Hump

I hope this is good; Overdose was kind of bland.

Overdose was done by a different studio. For a sequel that started out as a mod though it wasn't bad at all.

As for this, I'm not going to get my hopes up. JoWood are notoriously cheap bastards which means it gets shoved out the door ready or not.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > First Borderlands DLC Announced
15. Re: First Borderlands DLC Announced Oct 15, 2009, 23:30 Hump

What? You are not a True Geek! True Geeks Call In Sick!

nah, I work for myself. I' hoping for rain just so I can absolve myself of any guilt Angel

- Jim Goad

News Comments > First Borderlands DLC Announced
1. Re: First Borderlands DLC Announced Oct 15, 2009, 20:55 Hump

Just Pre-ordered via Steam

I pray that my work is rained out on release day. Sweat Pants, T-shirt, junk food, beer ..... that's all I need, I'll be in geek heaven Smart

- Jim Goad

News Comments > DDO Cashes in on Free Play
2. Re: DDO Cashes in on Free Play Oct 14, 2009, 14:23 Hump

I'm not sure why the gaming press is making a big deal out of this. All Turbine has done is adopted the Asian MMO model and made it work for them. I'm certainly happy for Turbine but all it does is highlight the fact that the western gaming industry is way behind in keeping up with what people want.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Painkiller Resurrection Details
1. Re: Painkiller Resurrection Details Oct 13, 2009, 20:21 Hump

Speaking of Painkiller, I bit the bullet and bought the game "Dreamkiller" from Steam. The game itself is barely entertaining but the thing that caught my attention was the assets. Not only does the game share a similar vibe in both name and gameplay with PK, but the weapons are directly ripped as well. ie; all weapons have a dual firing mode (a-la PK). The chaingun alt-fire mode? Rocket launcher (PK), shotgun alt-fire mode? Freeze shot (PK). I've only got a couple levels in but I've no doubt it will follow the same M.O. with the other weapons.

Since Mindware did Painkiller Overdose, I'm wondering if this was a prototype of PK Resurrection and Jowood/Dreamcatcher opted to not use Mindware for the PK sequel. It wouldn't be the first time Dreamcatcher had a dev spend time and money on proof-of-concept only to screw them when it was done. I'm pretty sure that's what they did to 4DREalms (Gore).

- Jim Goad

7517 Comments. 376 pages. Viewing page 49.
< Newer [ 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo