Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3771 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New GRID Announced
1. Re: New GRID Announced May 21, 2019, 16:44 Slick

The first GRID was really fun, i think the most fun i've had in a modern racer. Grid 2 was a disappointment. There was just some magic in the original's race tuning that made it responsive and fun but not too easy. They just nailed it, and then they had to fuck with that formula in the sequel for some reason. Hope they manage to recreate that lightning in a bottle for this new one.  

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 19, 2019, 05:56 Slick

That AI article looks like it might be interesting an interesting read from the headline, but I didn't make it past the first paragraph, which contained this ditty describing PUBG/Fortnite: "Tens of player characters spawn simultaneously in unpredictable places"

JOURNALISM!

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

News Comments > Get Steep for Free
3. Re: Get Steep for Free May 17, 2019, 04:24 Slick

Hard pass.

You use the left analog stick to GO in what ever direction you're pointing at, instead of actually using it to tilt and pitch your snowboard to ride the hill.

The mechanics are about as satisfying as walking down a street in any 3rd person action game.

Your character automatically does all the fun parts for you, you just get to worry about left or right. I'd compare it to a driving game, but fucking Mario Kart literally takes more skill to play.

Such a missed opportunity. Pretty funny how 1080 snowboarding for N64 had genuinely much better mechanics.

News Comments > EA PLAY Registration
11. Re: EA PLAY Registration May 8, 2019, 03:48 Slick

There's already a list of modification server admins get with core. It's more than people paid for with RSP in BF1. Also BF1 was only manageable in-game.

I know you old coots love getting your knickers in a twist, but this is a feel good story for the community.

6. Re: EA PLAY Registration May 7, 2019, 15:45 Slick

Oh btw, in EA news, you guys hear that BFV is getting private servers? and they'll be run on their own internal server network? and everyone has access to them for free?

Pretty neat.

Anyone can create their own server, and fuck with the settings, kick/ban, map rotation, infantry only etc. etc. etc. Server dissapears when there's no one in it, but you can save the server settings to reboot at any time.

Oh and they're gonna have an external application that can control the server like we used to have, alongside the in-game controls.

I'm pretty happy about this, means we'll see a competitive battlefield scene re-emerging.

5. Re: EA PLAY Registration May 7, 2019, 15:42 Slick

If I lived within an hour's drive, fuck yeah i'd go just to play new SWBF2 content before anyone else.  

News Comments > MORDHAU Release Stream
2. Re: MORDHAU Release Stream May 5, 2019, 20:05 Slick

It's pretty fun, but it can be very frustrating at times. It's nice to find something new to learn. Recommend footman as your first class and just spam thrust.  

News Comments > RAGE 2 Gone Gold
3. Re: RAGE 2 Gone Gold May 3, 2019, 22:30 Slick

Sum up in one word why I should care about this game.

And if it isn't "megatextures" you've got your work cut out for you.

News Comments > More Apex Legends Cheaters Banned
1. Re: More Apex Legends Cheaters banned May 3, 2019, 12:18 Slick

Why in the fuck don't they go after the cheat makers directly?

All this faffing about.

If I can google "Apex hax" and get 20 different sites trying to sell me shit. Why in the hell can't they either criminally or legally go after these places?

Do it like China does, pretty sure they've executed cheat makers or some shit.

In the west we're always chasing the symptoms instead going after the cause. It's right there in plain sight. If I can find them, law enforcement can.

Distributing hacks should have the same punishment and law enforcement response as distributing heroin.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Gets New Map
1. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Gets New Map May 1, 2019, 12:23 Slick

......... oh i just woke up.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Weekend
5. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Weekend May 1, 2019, 12:23 Slick

Flatline wrote on May 1, 2019, 12:19:
I regret ever giving this assmonkey money.

Shots fired!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2019, 22:13 Slick

Mazel tov  

News Comments > More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS
65. Re: More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS Apr 21, 2019, 19:10 Slick

Nice.

White-knighting a multi-billionaire. I lol'd. You literally just got mad at me for caring about video games... On a gaming forum. YEAH MAN WE DONT EVEN WANT VALVE TO MAKE GAMES! WE JUST WANT MORE OF THAT SEXY DRM BABY! - edgiest man alive

How dare the fans of Valve's video games want their videogame company to make video games? I mean.. it just doesn't make sense man! Especially considering how much money us gamers have funneled their way. I don't want more games! I just wanna get GabeN another private island! DUH! Besides, we know that it's all about that sweet sweet steam in-game overlay that lets me use VoIP bro, you cant get that anywhere else duuuuuude.

BTW, you know you can launch non-steam games on Steam right? You can still have that super Ill layer of extra DRM running in the background mr. cool guy.

Extreme bro. Extreme to the max.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 21, 2019, 15:24 Slick

I wonder if we'll see similar improvements for the next gen consoles, which I'm guessing will all use DX12?

Vulkan seems to give great boosts when it's done right, Doom was a great example. I just don't see most devs using Vulkan over DirectX, but who knows?

I'll say that DX12 actually gave me a healthy (+25%) FPS boost in Anno 1800.

All games using DX12 or Vulkan, and next gen consoles with 8 Ryzen cores as minimum is going to be SO GREAT for PC gaming. We'll finally have a good minimum spec for pretty much all games to be modeled on for the next decade.

So stoked about the PS5 news... supposedly Xbox will be launching a normal and "xbox one x" variant of the new consoles at the same time. So cool.

63. Re: More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS Apr 21, 2019, 04:35 Slick

Slashman wrote on Apr 20, 2019, 15:23:
Creston wrote on Apr 20, 2019, 15:04:
Look, I get it, paying 12% at Epic is WAY better for the publishers' shareholders than paying 30% at Steam. And that's fine, I'm not gainsaying that. But this fucking retard rhetoric that all Steam has done over the years is buy more fucking burritos to shove down Gabe's yap is disingenuous and really needs to fucking stop. When and why did Steam suddenly become the fucking boogeyman of PC Gaming? Because Tim Fucking Sweeney said so?

No its because people who have hated Steam for years because they got no Half-Life 3, or Portal 3, and whatever other imaginary games Valve promised them but didn't deliver, now have some sort of solid ground to point and say "take that you lazy fuckers!"

Nevermind these boatloads of features you provided me. You didn't give me more games that I wanted! I mean it literally slips out every Steam/Epic discussion. Despite it having nothing to do with anything.

Yeah, how dare gamers care about a game developer deciding to no longer make games. lol. "despite it having nothing to do with anything" riiiight, because I care more about a web browser in my DRM middleware than the (probably) most profitable game company in the world actually making games.

TBH Epic isn't any better, they have a slower release schedule than Valve I think, and that's saying something.

We're arguing about stores. Why don't people care as much about the Target vs Walmart "debate"? Oh right, because it isn't an issue, because regular people don't really give a shit about where they buy the things they buy. They care about the price, and the product. If they're altruistic, they also care about the people who made the product, but that's a small minority.

Like I've said already, this is new territory for both sides of the industry now with EGS being a real competitor to Steam. Nobody really knows how it's going to shake out, and how the extra money not sucked up by middlemen will break down. There's been what, like 30 games released on EGS so far? This is the beginning of the beginning of this story.

Fact remains that we've seen one example of a game being $10 cheaper (for people in the USA) on EGS, so it can happen, will this become a new norm? That remains to be seen. But that would be good for consumers and publishers/developers. And that would be the greatest threat to Steam's virtual monopoly on digital game distribution on PC. Damn, it's about time.

62. Re: More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS Apr 21, 2019, 04:26 Slick

Pepe wrote on Apr 20, 2019, 07:53:
Slick wrote on Apr 20, 2019, 03:12:
Valve haven't had an original idea for a videogame since Half-Life. Everything else they've pushed out has been bought out by other people who came up with the ideas. Valve is creatively bankrupt, and have been for literally over 2 decades. Just saying, that it's odd for a video game company to not really make video games.

I don't agree completely with this statement, they may have a ton of good idea's, but the way the company is run might make it impossible to get those games made.

A lot of good people left the company because of the weird company structure and their inability to get anything done due to this.

You can get away with certain exentricities when you are a smallish company but once you get to the size of Valve you need to adapt or get stuck in an unworkable mess.

I appreciate your response, but let me stop you right there.

"they may have a ton of good ideas" - False

That's my point. Even if they decided to actually act on any "good ideas" and make games again, my point was entirely pointing to the fact that CounterStrike, Day of Defeat, Riccochet, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Dota 2 were ALL "good ideas" that modders or other small devs came up with, then Valve either bought out the team, or bought out the idea for them to turn into a game. The games are all really good! I'm replaying Portal 2 right now. But the last original game idea that came from Valve was Half Life (HL2 was a sequel, not really an original idea).

News Comments > Get Transistor Free on the Epic Games Store
67. Re: Get Transistor Free on the Epic Games Store Apr 21, 2019, 04:11 Slick

Just cause this is still the #1 popular thread, I should point out that Transistor is a good game.

Oh, not good enough?

Sorry, ummmm let's see here... oh right: "outrage, indignation, entitlement, anger, astroturfing, gaslighting, dog whistling, and alex jones."

So I participate in the thread now?

Fuck's sake ladies, you drama llamas care more about bitching about corporations than actual games. I'd say grow the fuck up, but you geriatric old farts could use a dram of jolt cola and get in touch with your inner teenager.

37. Re: More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS Apr 20, 2019, 04:17 Slick

the savings can trickle down to the consumer, but isn't a guarantee.

that was kinda my point, was that this is a case-by-case basis, and no new norm has really been settled on now that studios are giving away less of their income to a 3rd party storefront.

We're all in new territory, on both sides of the industry.

I then go on to give a hypothetical example on how studios/publishers COULD choose to split up this new 18% of gross that they're getting. You know, like:

All the publishers/developers have to say is:

I swear some of you don't give two shits about communication, trying to find solutions, or common ground... you're just here to bitch about things you clearly have little grasp of, clearly evident by your severe lack of reading comprehension.

36. Re: More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS Apr 20, 2019, 04:09 Slick

Speaking of reading comprehension, I don't think either of you read a word I wrote. Try reading/listening next time LOL.

Do you REALLY want me to quote myself to show you exactly how I addressed your comments multiple times? they're all on this page, you don't have to go back far.

If it was too long and you genuinely didn't read it, then fine, but you're not apart of this conversation, you're just throwing stuff at me in a 1-way fashion.

32. Re: More Randy Pitchford on Steam and the EGS Apr 20, 2019, 03:18 Slick

Last comment, sorry for the spam.

So a sale returns 18% of the total pie back to the publisher/developer when bought on EGS instead of Steam.

All the publishers/developers have to say is:

"18% of gross is a fuckton of money, and we're going to keep 9% for the studio, and give 9% back to our customers in lower prices. We'll have more money to hire more talent too make better games, we get to pocket some too because we're a business and like making money, and we get to reward our customers by giving them the same great products at a lower pricepoint. Everybody wins."

/micdrop

3771 Comments. 189 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo