Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for jacobvandy

Real Name jacobvandy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jacobvandy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 1, 2011, 00:49
Total Comments 4273 (Master)
User ID 56195

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > WHO Recognizes "Gaming Disorder"
12. Re: WHO Recognizes May 26, 2019, 21:19 jacobvandy

clint wrote on May 26, 2019, 20:46:
MyRealName wrote on May 26, 2019, 20:24:
Nope. Only if they similarly recognize "Television Disorder", "Gardening Disorder", "Forum Participant Disorder", "News Follower Disorder", "Music Lover Disorder", "Netflix Disorder", "Beer Disorder" (well, maybe not that one), "Lego Disorder", "Socializing with Friendly People Disorder", "Daily Routine Disorder", "Hobby Disorder", "Doin' Lots of Shit You Like Because Life is Short Disorder", and so on.

True, however a good side effect of this might be to combat the preying of publishers/developers with loot crates, games with thousands of dollars of dlc's, or gems etc. That is something I could get behind. Recognize responsibility towards your customers, same as alcohol, gambling etc, but not ban them. Putting loot crates in a game could be seen as the same as taking a 8 year old to the track and giving them a beer while they put bets on.

Bingo, and exactly why the ESA aka major publisher lobby is coming out against it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Free Weekend Games on Steam
2. Re: More Free Weekend Games on Steam May 25, 2019, 21:16 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on May 25, 2019, 17:49:
I never play Steam meta games. What do you get if you complete all the tasks?

Stinking badges.

News Comments > Heavy Rain PC Demo
7. Re: Heavy Rain PC Demo May 25, 2019, 18:20 jacobvandy

Acleacius wrote on May 25, 2019, 17:13:
I'm more looking forward to games like The Last of Us and Days Gone for PC! Lighter

Don't hold your breath, those are first-party Sony games. Quantic Dreams is a private company that happened to have an exclusive publishing deal with them for a while.

News Comments > 7 Games Free During Steam Spring Cleaning Event
10. Re: 7 Games Free During Steam Spring Cleaning Event May 25, 2019, 00:49 jacobvandy

Meh, gamification of Steam isn't any worse than Epic constantly selling their captive audience of Fortnite players to advertisers. Both methods are making a lot of money and can be almost completely ignored by those they offend.  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. May 23, 2019, 19:58 jacobvandy

TheEmissary wrote on May 23, 2019, 17:19:
jacobvandy wrote on May 23, 2019, 15:26:
I wouldn't be surprised if not disclosing EGS figures is in the terms of their bribe exclusivity contract.

IF the publisher/Developer Studio is a public company they have to disclose this information eventually in a quarter earnings report.

Unit sales numbers per game or unit sales per specific platform are never required to be disclosed as far as I'm aware. That's why top sellers lists such as on Wikipedia are not always accurate or up to date, and why we don't know any figures at all for a lot of games.

Generally they will state total software sales and maybe break that down by system, or in this case by specific publishing labels under THQ Nordic ownership, but any other specifics are up to their discretion. And they usually don't bother unless it's significant enough to brag about.

If you follow the links back a few layers, you'll find the THQ investor site and you can view their quarterly report yourself, which was published shortly before these CEO statements.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 23, 2019, 15:26 jacobvandy

I wouldn't be surprised if not disclosing EGS figures is in the terms of their bribe exclusivity contract.  

News Comments > Rune: Ragnarok Becomes Epic Game Store Exclusive RUNE II
19. Re: Rune: Ragnarok Becomes Epic Game Store Exclusive RUNE II May 23, 2019, 02:05 jacobvandy

The problem with persistent online games is that they rely so much on the players providing the content. Trying to enjoy the same game solo almost always feels hollow, because you are in fact roaming around a multiplayer map by yourself.  

News Comments > THQ Nordic Reels In Piranha Bytes
5. Re: THQ Nordic Reels In Piranha Bytes May 22, 2019, 11:28 jacobvandy

Bill Borre wrote on May 22, 2019, 10:20:
I've heard of Gothic and Risen but not Elex so I checked its Steam listing. It looks like a Fallout clone.

Not really. It's a post-apocalyptic setting, yeah, but it doesn't play like any Fallout beyond standard RPG stuff. For example, your primary transportation is a permanent jetpack. It's way more brutal than the newer FO games, mainly because enemies aren't scaled to your level. So straying from the path early on will get you killed. There's a pretty deep story with significant branching paths, too, including which of the three factions you choose to join (or not).

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. May 20, 2019, 15:09 jacobvandy

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on May 20, 2019, 14:46:
So Rage 2 physical sales are down? Why is that even news. ohhh because we are pretending Physical sales matter.

They're talking about UK only, and first week sales only. Body of the article admits the sequel launched on a Friday and the first game on a Tuesday... but there's no room for such detail in a clickbai headline.

News Comments > Report: Call of Duty 2020 Becoming Black Ops 5
3. Re: Report: Call of Duty 2020 Becoming Black Ops 5 May 19, 2019, 16:01 jacobvandy

Bill Borre wrote on May 19, 2019, 14:16:
ActiBlizz F2P? That's hard to believe. I wonder if that's a rumor or there exists actual documentation naming company executives discussing it.

Is it hard to believe? They may be slow to adjust because they know better than anyone how much you can rake in with a popular MMO or annual shooter, but all the top-earning games these days are F2P. If their goal is to compete with Fortnite in the multiplayer space, and just having a BR mode in the last game didn't work as well as they hoped, then more closely emulating that business model is the next logical step.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale
5. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 18, 2019, 14:59 jacobvandy

El Pit wrote on May 18, 2019, 14:07:
"They're falling one by one!"

Seriously. What's going to be left for the latter part of this month -long sale if they have one or two big titles pulled every day?

News Comments > Morning Interviews
10. Re: Morning Interviews May 16, 2019, 22:24 jacobvandy

mch wrote on May 16, 2019, 11:58:
Cutter wrote on May 16, 2019, 10:45:
Right, because Rage didn't borrow from Mad Max. Rolleyes

If you actually read the interview, he openly admits that Rage was heavily influenced by Mad Max, and says so before his comment about Fury Road.

His comment about Fury Road is actually just one sentence from the entire interview. It's a shame that Hollywood Reporter chose that one line to pull out and make the title of the piece. It doesn't really sound like he's complaining.

Yep. He even started the thought with 'I swear,' the way a lot of people do to indicate sarcasm/facetiousness. But bait will be bait.

News Comments > Epic Mega Sale
12. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 16, 2019, 11:17 jacobvandy

Hardly epic or mega as far as deals go, but at least they tried.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 14, 2019, 10:17 jacobvandy

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 14, 2019, 08:32:
RedEye9 wrote on May 13, 2019, 21:21:
Dangit, I gotta change my depends after reading about that x570 mb, it's gonna look sweat on my RGB desk with my RGB coffee cup and RGB stapler.

Pffft, noob. You need an RGB trimmed monitor, RGB pen holder, RGB pencil sharpner, RGB paperclip holder, RGB tape dispenser, and RGB printer.

That sounds like the desk of a geezer noob alright, lol. Nobody uses paper at home anymore.

News Comments > Rage 2 Reviews
7. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 10:58 jacobvandy

Initial reviews for Days Gone weren't very good either, but I loved that game. Sometimes these sites are in such a rush to farm clicks from a new release that they shit out an opinion whether or not it's been fully considered by someone who even cares to play the thing.  

News Comments > RAGE 2 Roadmap
15. Re: RAGE 2 Roadmap May 12, 2019, 22:49 jacobvandy

Yeah... I'm pretty sure they've used roadmaps all this time. Update-hungry gamers demanding to see it so they can know what will be added and when post-launch is new.  

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2019, 14:26 jacobvandy

Goldeneye on N64 had the dual-stick, dual-trigger FPS control scheme in '97. It just required you hold two of those controllers.  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive
12. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 11:35 jacobvandy

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on May 10, 2019, 11:13:
dajunka wrote on May 10, 2019, 10:59:
I know choosing Epic as a outlet was a clever trick to get people to buy from U-play direct, but they really should stay clear of Epic. It does noting but harm to a reputation they have been trying to build up over the years.
Touch Epic and forever smell of s***.

well if they sold it on the Uplay you would have a point...

It's all over the front page of store.ubi.com... This game is not EGS exclusive, it's just paid Steam exclusion.

News Comments > Titan Quest Atlantis Expansion Released
4. Re: Titan Quest Atlantis Expansion Released May 9, 2019, 21:21 jacobvandy

Well as you can imagine, the IP was sucked into the void when THQ folded. That's why the original devs, mainly the lead designer, went on to make Grim Dawn as a spiritual successor; they wanted to do a sequel but couldn't work out the licensing. These other guys managed to get hold of the rights and re-released it, and now apparently are adding new stuff. I haven't felt the need to re-visit it though, having spent a few hundred hours with GD already, which is also getting a new expansion soon.  

News Comments > EA Financials
8. Re: EA Financials May 7, 2019, 22:14 jacobvandy

That's a lot of yapping about growth when the actual numbers show their profits are down compared to last year. And then their projection for next year shows profits will remain at almost exactly the same level as this year, except for a "one-time tax benefit" of $1.5 billion to inflate it. Basically a shell game, where they've put in for a transfer of ownership of some IP(s) overseas to their Swiss HQ (which is not yet final).  

4273 Comments. 214 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo