Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Matt Welch

Real Name Matt Welch   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Watter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 27, 2009, 15:35
Total Comments 85 (Suspect)
User ID 55111

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2019, 12:50 Watter

Ahh the Deathadder... My love/hate relationship with the three I've had that all failed in the same way is well documented on the Razer support site. I finally gave up and refused to buy another one. I really miss my MS Intellimouses(mice?) and their nearly identically shaped successors, the Deathadders but I finally had to move on.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Metro Exodus an Epic Store Exclusive - What This Means for Steam Preorders
51. Re: Metro Exodus an Epic Store Exclusive - What This Means for Steam Preorders Jan 29, 2019, 10:24 Watter

Prez wrote on Jan 29, 2019, 08:38:
For me it comes down to refusing to reward anti-consumer practices, and platform exclusivity is a big one for me.
This... exactly.

I hope that the Epic store actually does become decent (right now it sucks is so many, MANY ways). I have no emotional attachment to Steam, but it just works, and works well. I can play many of my games on Linux. Games are downloaded and updated very quickly. Cloud saves work (usually). For me at least, it's "discovery" mechanisms allow me to find great things I've never seen before and that I would never have found without Steam.

If Epic can get all of these same things right, then awesome, but forcing me to choose the far inferior platform (for now) in order to buy your game means I'm that much less likely to do so. I've avoided many PC games I was interested in in the past that were on sucky platforms (hello Microsoft exclusives, I'm talking to you).

News Comments > Far Cry New Dawn System Specs
10. Re: Far Cry New Dawn System Specs Jan 16, 2019, 12:50 Watter

I only made it halfway through FC4 and I skipped FC5 altogether. That said, I rather liked the idea of a bright colorful "natural" post-apocalyptic mad-max-ish setting. Now that I've had a break from it, I could stand heading back in for the somewhat shallow story and combat of the series again in this particular setting. I'm far more willing to suspend belief for this kind of thing than I am a wide-ranging super powerful christian cult in the middle of Montana.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 13:41 Watter

Andrew Garfield was a bad Spiderman in bad Spiderman movies. My girlfriend thinks he was the best Spiderman (she's really wrong)
While the Amazing Spider-Man movies were mediocre (at best; the second wasn't even that), I really felt the Garfield Spider-Man was the truest to the comics. That's all subjective of course, but for me, Spider-Man was a minor super-power except for two things: his super nerdy but super cool almost world-class science and mechanical ability, and his spider sense. Those two abilities vault him into being a major power and they're also the things are downplayed to the point of being absent in the Holland versions. It seems like they're using Iron-Man style suit abilities give him big powers in the new movies, which is NOT the Spider-Man I loved as a kid, at all.

News Comments > Fallout 76 Legal Fallout?
21. Re: Fallout 76 Legal Fallout? Nov 27, 2018, 13:19 Watter

Prez wrote on Nov 27, 2018, 11:45:
I am absolutely LOVING the utter shitshow that Fallout 76 has turned into. Bethesda has received a free pass for far, FAR too long.
While I think it's stupid to sue over it being a "bad game", which is what this amounts to, I totally agree with the above statement. I LOVE Bethesda but their last few games have been given WAY too much of a pass. People complain about the absolute crappiness of the port, the bugs, the decades-old bugs in the engine, but we buy it anyway. I'm guilty of it too.

Just this past week finally got around to buying Fallout 4 GOTY and I can't believe how bad it is before mods. Even with mods, I feel exactly like I'm playing Fallout 3 again. I'm only a few hours in and I'm really not sure if I'm going to keep it up.

My hope is that Fallout 76 is so raked over the coals that it has a positive impact on Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2018, 13:11 Watter

Scares the crap out of me that we now have media outlets that are so ridiculously powerful and influential that due process on those mediums actually makes sense; and worse, as non-elected and non-governmental entities they have no real incentive to agree to it.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 5, 2018, 08:54 Watter

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 4, 2018, 15:28:
Witcher 3 is the best game ever made. Change my mind.
I'm not going to change your mind, of course, but I can't say I agree. I was so ready for the game to end by the time I was halfway through that I rushed through the remaining content abandoning my normal OCD tendencies to finish every quest and visit every location. It was a great game, to be sure, but not on my all-time-greats list.

News Comments > Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Trailer
2. Re: Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Trailer Nov 1, 2018, 11:08 Watter

Never even heard of this but that looks fantastic. I love turned based tactical and the world looks fantastic.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 12, 2018, 09:35 Watter

Regarding China's regulation burden and indies... Almost all regulation hits the small businesses much harder than the larger ones. This is why large business will often not only refrain from opposing new regulations, but sometimes actively collaborate with government in imposing them while claiming they're doing so as "good societal citizens" when in truth it's just to get rid of smaller competitors who are usually more innovative and agile.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 3, 2018, 08:20 Watter

We bought my wife a Surface 3 a few years back and that has been the best individual computer purchase I've ever made, and that statement is coming from someone who builds all his own non-laptop PC's and uses Linux exclusively when not gaming. It's just been a rock-solid little device that she uses constantly. We have the docking station for it (plugs into the multipurpose/power port of the machine) and it's just amazingly convenient to use it at either her desk with a big 30" monitor or anywhere in and out of the house as a portable device. I've never had a laptop move between docked and mobile so smoothly, but maybe I've been unlucky in the past (or maybe it's just my linux laptops being finicky).

I'd buy another Surface for her in a heartbeat.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Shadow of the Tomb Raider
8. Re: Gone Gold - Shadow of the Tomb Raider Jul 25, 2018, 12:50 Watter

I tend to play games quite a bit after they've been released so I'm only just now in the middle of my "Rise of the Tomb Raider" playthrough. I think my time with it is suffering from comparison, as I had literally JUST finished Horizons Zero Dawn before starting Rise. I know they're not really "exactly" the same genre, but there are too many similarities for the Tomb Raider game not to suffer (massively) in comparison. Sure there were collectibles in Horizons and even fast travel via campfire, but it all felt so much more natural and integrated there. Even the classic Tomb Raider schtick of climbing and vaulting was smoother and more natural in Horizons.  

News Comments > Steam Intergalactic Summer Sale
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2018, 07:54 Watter

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 22, 2018, 06:10:
Hopefully the steam link doesnt suck
I don't use mine often, but when I do it seems to work perfectly. I do use wired ethernet, though.

News Comments > Forts Free Multiplayer Weekend
3. Re: Forts Free Multiplayer Weekend Jun 8, 2018, 08:33 Watter

Slick wrote on Jun 7, 2018, 22:33:
According to steam reviews this is a bullshit slimy marketing prank. There is no free weekend, it's a 10-minute demo and then you're hit with the BUY NOW screen.
Don't get you knickers in a bunch. No grand conspiracy here. Just someone not putting "Mutiplayer" in the title of the news item. The rest of the announcement and all of the other promotional material clearly state "free multiplayer weekend". The tutorial levels of the campaign are included though.

News Comments > Steam Opening the Gates
51. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Jun 7, 2018, 09:48 Watter

Prez wrote on Jun 7, 2018, 08:09:
Steam does not have the power to determine that you can or can't purchase something nor should it. It has the power (and obligation in my view) soley to determine what it does and doesn't sell on its own storefront.
That's the first argument against this move by steam that was persusasive and didn't make me roll my eyes.

I see two ways to look at it.

1) Steam is still the defacto marketplace for PC games. That's changing, thankfully, but it still owns the lion's share of the market. Any curation effort will be imperfect and games that some people might be interested in will be left out of that marketplace. I don't want anyone narrowing my choices. As long as there are filters, which is in Steams own best interest to provide, let it fly. I don't think anyone should be limiting other people's choices - and again, given steam's position as the defacto PC games marketplace, if it's not on Steam, it's almost not in the PC games market.

We all have a tendency to believe that the items we don't care about, nobody cares about. Example: Goat Simulator? What they hell?!? That almost certainly wouldn't have made it past my own personal curation process in its initial rough form, but some people enjoyed it and given time it became something that even more people picked up.

2) Do people really have trouble finding things they're interested in? I use steam a quite a bit, and I don't recall having to sift through crap to find interesting games. It isn't in Steam's best interest financially to make it hard for me to find games I'm interested in and purchase them; however if I do want to go on a hidden treasure hunt for something more obsucre, the option is there.

3) We live in a bigger (and smaller) world than ever before. It used to be that a niche interest might have too small a market to make sense to provide product for, but no more. A "niche" might be hundreds of thousands (or even millions) of people. Even if you believe in limiting options, which I don't, how do you curate when niches are so varied and large? .001% of the market these days is still large enough for some people to make product for.

----

I frequently see people buying products (crap, in my mind) that I literally cannot fathom ANYONE ever buying. I can either believe that these people are dumb and need someone smarter looking out for them OR I can accept that there might be some value in those things that I just don't see and that those people are different enough from me that they want something else that I can't understand. The "live and let live" side of me just shrugs and moves on. As long as I can find what I want, let those folks get their kicks where they want.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse May 15, 2018, 09:49 Watter

Task wrote on May 15, 2018, 09:22:
At best, I think its meant to be a kid show folks. I don't mind it, but it seems to me while watching it that it is aimed at a younger audience.
Yep, and they never made any pretense about this. It's aimed at the kids. Other than the Dr. Smith character (who almost ruined for me) I found it enjoyable enough lightweight fare. I liked that (again other than the Dr. Smith plotline) I genuinely didn't know where it was going to go next and it moved along fast enough that I looked forward to the next episode.

News Comments > Into the Black
14. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2017, 09:39 Watter

Pigeon wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 08:43:
I enjoyed TFA, it had some obvious problems, but mostly it was good;
I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to my shallow entertainments, and I thought TFA was decent, but I was quite bothered by the accelerated development of Rey's abilities. We have a template for Jedi training already, and in the course of hours/days she's able to defeat an admittedly slightly weakened but highly trained and skilled sith? Again, I'm forgiving. Give me a BS made up reason why she's so awesome. I'm willing to go with it, but we didn't get anything like that.

News Comments > Descent: Underground Next Year?
11. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 16:27 Watter

Kxmode wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 16:10:
Pretty much done with CF/EA projects.
Having been down a few failed game fundings myself, one can hardly fault you feeling that way, but I look at Descent and it seems to be coming along at about the rate I was expecting. Is it a great game right now? Nope, but many of the core pieces needed to get there are in place. I tend to be pretty patient with these projects as long as they don't actually stall out, and so far the team behind Descent have been moving along; slowly, but still moving.

10. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 8, 2016, 10:23 Watter

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 7, 2016, 21:09:
As bad as this is, it's really just the natural risk of KS. And especially hardware KS projects are always questionable. Since there are so many costs these projects either don't know about, or don't tell you about.
I would tend to agree with the hardware part of this quote. Of the three failed KS's I've backed, all have been hardware; two due to cost overruns and one due to not being quick enough to the market with their innovative idea. Other big players in the market started working on similar products later but got them to market faster.

I guess this will be my fourth failed hardware KS. I know how to pick 'em.

That said, if there would be a "safer" KS to back, one would have thought it was Pebble. I guess that's actually still kind of true considering Pebble backers are actually getting refunds, unlike most other failed KS's.

9. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 8, 2016, 07:54 Watter

Not sure screwed is right. Backers of Pebble 2 got their product (now unsupported unfortunately but the community is where most of the support came from anyway) and backers of the Time 2 and Core, myself included, will be getting refunds... from a Kickstarter project, where no such refunds are by any means guaranteed. While I'm not thrilled, I certainly don't feel screwed. I feel pretty fortunate to be receiving a refund at all.  

49. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2015, 09:42 Watter

I enjoyed it immensely however...

I loved the character of Kylo Ren, but I absolutely hated that there was no "good" bad guy. The giant Supreme Leader was ridiculous. The military leader was what 22? And whiny? And the Kylo Ren was a snotty teenager with an attitude. Again, I really liked Ren and think it's a great and believable character, but as the main bad guy?

Where's the Vader equivalent? Where's the Grand Moff Tarkin? When Vader strolled onto the scene he was frikkin intimidating! And he stayed that way almost until the end. Ren fit well enough, until the moment he took his helmet off. Oh... and then he gets his ass kicked by neophytes. Ugggg...

Still. I'd see it again.

85 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo