Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4529 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Rune: Ragnarok Becomes Epic Game Store Exclusive RUNE II
20. Re: Rune: Ragnarok Becomes Epic Game Store Exclusive RUNE II May 23, 2019, 03:07 StingingVelvet

Couldn't care less about which client I'd have to use, but hearing it's secretly an MMO or at least very online focused game is a bummer. I don't blame companies for going that route, it's where all the hype and attention is lately, but I'm just not interested.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > THQ Nordic Reels In Piranha Bytes
6. Re: THQ Nordic Reels In Piranha Bytes May 22, 2019, 13:18 StingingVelvet

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2019, 10:20:
Yeah, Gothic was great but they've never quite gotten there again. Elex is pretty good too, but not Gothic good. Risen was meh. Dunno if this is a good or bad thing.

The first Risen is pretty good. Better than Gothic in some ways, worse in others, but pretty darn good. The Risen sequels plummeted in quality though.

Haven't played Elex yet.

News Comments > Epic Mega Sale
48. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 16, 2019, 19:06 StingingVelvet

Cutter wrote on May 16, 2019, 16:52:
You should care. Rewarding anti-consumer companies is bad for all of us. It's like saying you don't care you pollute.

If a game forcing me to use a specific client is "anti-consumer behavior" I shouldn't support then I never would have bought any Steam games.

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 Toreador Clan Trailer
4. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 Toreador Clan Trailer May 16, 2019, 16:25 StingingVelvet

Game doesn't even come out for like 10 months, I'm surprised they're showing as much as they have.  

News Comments > Epic Mega Sale
35. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 16, 2019, 16:24 StingingVelvet

As a singleplayer only guy who runs Steam in offline mode with the in-game interface off, I literally couldn't care less what store I buy games from. Some nice deals here, especially on Outward and some pre-orders I was looking at. Will do some research. Very nice that the $10 off comes from Epic and not the devs/pubs.  

News Comments > Sniper Elite V2 Remastered Released
3. Re: Sniper Elite V2 Remastered Released May 15, 2019, 01:30 StingingVelvet

This one was pretty linear if I recall correctly. The franchise got much better with 3, which was more open world.  

News Comments > RAGE 2 Released
32. Re: RAGE 2 Released May 15, 2019, 01:29 StingingVelvet

No issues with slow menus here, and the tutorials stop relatively quickly other than for new powers/weapons. Also I don't think the animations are long at all for picking up chests and stuff. You just click E on them and then can walk away, you get all the stuff without standing there waiting.  

25. Re: RAGE 2 Released May 14, 2019, 18:35 StingingVelvet

RedEye9 wrote on May 14, 2019, 18:34:
Review copies were supplied by Steam. They did it that way to prevent pre-release release, or is it premature release.

Ah, good call. Hopefully they patch it out then, and hopefully it doesn't take a year like with Dishonored 2.

23. Re: RAGE 2 Released May 14, 2019, 18:32 StingingVelvet

Darks wrote on May 14, 2019, 18:26:
News alert: Rage 2 has just been cracked, that was fast!!!

It doesn't have Denuvo on the Bethesda launcher supposedly, so that's probably why. God knows why they used it on Steam alone.

19. Re: RAGE 2 Released May 14, 2019, 17:47 StingingVelvet

Why anyone is comparing this to Anthem or Borderlands I have NO idea. I just played 3 hours of it and it's Far Cry, basically. Singleplayer focused, not loot-driven at all. These comparisons are crazy.

It's pretty solid. Has a little day one jank but nothing too bad. Default keybinds are terrible but everything can be changed. Depth of field is HORRIBLE, make sure you turn it off or it's blur city everywhere. Gunplay is solid, gameplay is good. Recommended if you like Far Cry type games and want one in this setting.

News Comments > Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive
45. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 11, 2019, 10:34 StingingVelvet

With something like Borderlands 3 and the lacking online features on the EGS, I get the hate. But I don't see why this matters? It'll be on Uplay, and Steam was always just a silly launcher for Uplay with Ubisoft games anyway. Just buy this on Uplay and there's literally zero difference except for also having to have Steam running, but it not really doing anything.  

News Comments > What is RAGE 2?
2. Re: What is RAGE 2? Apr 25, 2019, 20:54 StingingVelvet

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 25, 2019, 20:12:
Kickass trailer, hopefully kickass game

Yeah I've seen some "meh" vibes for this but I think it looks great. If you don't like simple open world shooters then it's not for you obviously, but if you do I can't see why you wouldn't be hyped.

News Comments > Chris Roberts on Fixing Anthem
6. Re: Chris Roberts on Fixing Anthem Apr 21, 2019, 12:37 StingingVelvet

I don't know about Anthem because I don't pay attention to online loot games, but No Man's Sky created its own expectations problem for sure. Those early trailers billed it as an entirely different game than it ended up being.  

News Comments > Two Worlds II: Shattered Embrace Announcement
10. Re: Two Worlds II: Shattered Embrace Announcement Apr 20, 2019, 12:10 StingingVelvet

Saboth wrote on Apr 20, 2019, 07:31:
I've uninstalled and reinstalled Two Worlds II probably 3-4 times. "This time, I'll beat it!" I'll play it for a while then get bored. The combat just feels weightless, like I'm fighting rag doll balloons, and it doesn't feel like anything I do matters.

If you never tried being a pure mage, give it a go. I remember that combat being fun, and the way you make spells with cards you have to find in the world was cool and encouraged exploration.

News Comments > Two Worlds II: Shattered Embrace Announcement
4. Re: Two Worlds II: Shattered Embrace Announcement Apr 20, 2019, 00:42 StingingVelvet

I liked Two Worlds 2 way more than maybe I should have. It had a cool card collecting mechanic for spells that I really enjoyed, and mechanics wise it played fine. Felt more polished than your average Piranah Bytes game, unlike the original Two Worlds. I don't think I played the last super late DLC though... maybe both that and this at once would be worthwhile.  

News Comments > PC OCTOPATH TRAVELER in June
3. Re: PC OCTOPATH TRAVELER in June Apr 15, 2019, 23:58 StingingVelvet

This looks appealing because I grew up on SNES JRPGs before moving to the PC, but I also haven't really enjoyed JRPGs since. Soooo... I dunno. Will watch some videos.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced
9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced Apr 14, 2019, 22:15 StingingVelvet

Turd Ferguson wrote on Apr 14, 2019, 21:42:
I tried it on friends account, long ago, right after beta and from what I remember it was mostly a vast world, vastly empty with a lot of fetch quests, go talk to... and push a button quests.

I mean, it's a WOW style MMO. That's how they all are. It is what it is. When it went free to play I got a decent time waster of a campaign out of it with the Imperial Assassin, but it being an MMO with grindy B.S. brings it way down. Wish we got a singleplayer of that campaign, likely would have been pretty good.

News Comments > Fallout 76 Launches Wild Appalachia Update; New Dungeon and Repair Kits Coming
9. Re: Fallout 76 Launches Wild Appalachia Update; New Dungeon and Repair Kits Coming Apr 9, 2019, 13:59 StingingVelvet

Total-Khaos wrote on Apr 9, 2019, 12:59:
Not even close. It is basically just Fallout 4 with a fresh coat of paint and all the bugs / crappy programming of past Fallout games x1000. PVP is damn near non-existent because you have to jump through so many hoops to even participate in it.

Shooting and walking around might be like Fallout 4, but since it has no NPCs or real quests I don't think it's anywhere near the same experience.

News Comments > Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store
14. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Apr 8, 2019, 11:48 StingingVelvet

Kajetan wrote on Apr 8, 2019, 09:59:
"Steam killing PC gaming" is THE most ridiculous nonsense i have heard in this context.

Valve was solely responsible for the indie boom, providing a 70% percent cut of all revenue to a developer where there was NONE before, only milestone payments and sometimes royalties for the big studios.

Yeah, I generally tend to argue that new alternatives to Steam are good things and exclusives are the only way to get people to change, but he's going overboard here. Valve did indeed save PC gaming and create the indie boom in a lot of ways. There's no way to argue otherwise honestly. That said, things do change... it's a new world now, and 30% does indeed look bad, and Valve having no curation does make things that previously would succeed get lost in the shuffle.

In other words I think you could criticize Steam for not adapting, or making some poor changes, but you can't go overboard and say they're bad for PC gaming. Come on.

News Comments > Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing
50. Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 8, 2019, 00:57 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Apr 7, 2019, 22:44:
The concerns over Steam being a monopoly have no basis in reality. There are plenty of games that aren't available on Steam (Blizzard's games, EA's games, Epic's games, etc). Some of the most popular games in the world aren't on Steam (like Fortnite, LoL, Minecraft, WoW, Overwatch and Crossfire). There's nothing forcing developers or publishers to use Steam. They use Steam because that's what the majority of customers want. Steam gained the biggest user base because it provided the best service, selection and pricing. Even if Steam were actually a monopoly, that wouldn't change.

You can use the forum and read reviews and whatnot without the client. It's not like GOG don't have a forum and reviews, despite being DRM free and no client required. Hell they even have cloud saves I believe, though I have no use for them because I work at work. :p

Anyway I think the "Steam is great so no worries about monopoly issues" thing is very fanboy and naive, no offense intended. I see that position a lot... "Steam is great and moral so they can control everything and it's fine!"... and it literally shocks me people would say that, like saying "Castro takes care of us well so he can be dictator and it's fine." Extreme analogy obviously but just trying to get a point across. It's never good for one company to have the vast majority of the power in a market, even if that company is pretty great for the consumer today. I'd say the same for Amazon or Google as well.

Agree to disagree though, if I've learned anything on this Epic Store business it's that there's no changing minds on it. Some people are just irate about it and I can't change that. I think it's more or less fine, as long as they continue to improve their client.

4529 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo